[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are characters and creatures changed by polymorph or other shapeshifting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1417749794089.jpg (181KB, 1328x785px) Image search: [Google]
1417749794089.jpg
181KB, 1328x785px
Are characters and creatures changed by polymorph or other shapeshifting magic in D&D still fertile in their new form? Or does it enforce strict sterility?

I cannot find an official statement on this from WotC
>>
>>52134966
How is this not magical realm?

You're literally asking about whether or not you can breed with other species after being magically transformed.
>>
>>52134966
Of course; how else do you explain half-dragons? You can't just walk up and bone a dragon, you need it to polymorph into something your size.
>>
>>52135728
> You can't just walk up and bone a dragon

Not with that attitude
>>
>>52135728
I either go with "dragons are magical animals without intelligence" or with "dragons are actually shapeshifting humans that can shapeshift in dragon". Kind of like a werewolf but better.
>>
>>52136774

Meh
>>
>>52135728
If I remember correctly the D&D canon is that the most powerful of dragons are capable of polymorphing and sleep with other species, not the other way around usually.

This is still magical realm as fuck though.
>>
>>52134966
>Are characters and creatures changed by polymorph or other shapeshifting magic in D&D still fertile in their new form?

Yes, how do you think Rangers and Druids get animal companions?

Shitposting aside, there's a very good reason why races with natural shapeshifting are always noted to have halfsies running around.
>>
>>52136865
>If I remember correctly the D&D canon is that the most powerful of dragons are capable of polymorphing and sleep with other species

>The most powerful of dragons

Can't Silvers and Steels do that right out of the egg, and in fact Steels prefer living in Human form? Most of the Metallics enjoy Humanoid forms.
>>
>>52136774
I like using intelligent magical animals that require some social contact but can't stand 99% of their own species.

So they mostly fuck around with the humanoids for laughs when they get bored in between decade long treasure naps.
>>
If a dragon is in human form and has kids...dragonborne is the result. More powerful then humans
>>
Dragons breed other dragons with other dragons. And kobolds via asexual reproduction.
>>
File: TarasqueStatue.jpg (451KB, 1359x1003px) Image search: [Google]
TarasqueStatue.jpg
451KB, 1359x1003px
>>52136902
I understand your point, and I use that for my own settings too, but I dislike turning all those intelligent magical animals in dragons. Or at least, the typical dragons we associate with dragons.

When it comes to the intelligent magical animal, I like to get a bit weird - just like the dragons from medieval legends and classic myths. Kind of like the forgotten beasts from Dwarf Fortress. Ancient beings from before the beginning of time, unique, too weird to live, too rare to die, yadda yadda.
>>
>>52136910
Dragonborn are their own species with a society and a culture, which is fucking dumb bullshit and I hate it.

Fuck Dragonborn, we didn't need a another point on the dragon scale. You had big badass full dragons, sort of cool half-dragons, and pathetic shitty Kobolds and it was great.
>>
Female dragons produce dragonborne. Male dragons are sterile. Towards humans. Or human offspring with dragon blood?
>>
>>52135704
It's only magical real if autism is involved.
>>
>>52136944
All dragon species all come from dragons. Scratch dragonborne culture and society its garbage
>>
>>52136967
nah man, Male dragons are the cause of almost all Half-dragons, they sleep with some humanoid and bounce and 9 months later a scaly bundle of teeth is in the crib.
>>
>>52136979
That's why I only use Dragonborn stats for half dragons, their culture ideas are fucking stupid, I seriously dislike the idea of half dragons ever being common enough for them to all band together and make a society somewhere.

You need like 2000 people to make a viable breeding population, that is a shitload of half dragons that all have to be in the same general area and willing to build a town together.
>>
>>52134966
I thought this was going to die over night, but seeing as you've got no help from the resident morons, here's the rules:

>This spell functions like alter self, except that you change the willing subject into another form of living creature.
>The subject’s creature type and subtype (if any) change to match the new form.
From Alter Self
>You acquire the physical qualities of the new form while retaining your own mind.
The creature that gets polymorphed becomes physically the creature it has been turned into. From this we can assume that it's basically a normal whole version of such a creature. Fertility is implied, though whether that fertility extends past the time of the spell working is up to the DM. I would rule not.

If this is for 5e, that spell description is so vague as to be worthless. God that edition is so fucking shit.

And for the love of god would you other morons really learn how dragonborn actually fucking work, they've been in 3 fuckign editions, and have had the same fluff for 2 of them now (almost a fuckign decade too). And for the autist who hates them, you're a shitty little autist.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.