[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making a game. You roll for STR, WIS and CHA (no more stats).

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

Making a game. You roll for STR, WIS and CHA (no more stats). Roll under with a d20 to succeed.

You get 1 talent each level. Talents are divided in three groups. Depending which one you get, you also increment the relevant stat by +1

STR

Fighter: you deal +d6 damage with your chosen weapon (you normally do d4-d6-d8 depending on your weapon size)
Tough: you're big and mean, you get +1 armor
Acrobat: you're agile as fuck, you can attempt wuxia jumps and ninja stealth

WIS

Doctor: You can tend the ill, and fetch any kind of chemicals from your bag (roll to see how useful they are). On a miss, something works awkwardly or the patient gets worse
Tech guy: You can repair things; you get a mysterious device. At anytime, say what it does and roll to see how it works. On a miss there are requirements for it to work, or it's not as good as you said
Investigator: Once per day, you can claim that you know a secret about something (ask your GM and he'll tell the truth) or state retroactivelly that you had prepared for a situation (set a trap, asked for help, etc). Roll to see how well you did it.

CHA:

Bard: When you play, you get to say how does a specific person feels, how does your music help somebody or the underlying feeling of a crowd. On a miss, you still get one, but something goes wrong
Witch: When you perform a ritual, you can roll to ask favors to supernatural forces. On a success, they aid you on a task; or you enchant something to enhance it's power. On a miss, there are unwanted consequences or costs.

As you see, I'm lacking a CHA talent for all my system to be mechanically pretty. What should I add?
I'm thinking on Animal Companion, but if I find something better I'll fit it under the equipment section.
Also thought on making like a Mystic Monk ability (spider sense - shadow replication - Kamehameha) but this covers too many feats and they even could be covered by other talents.

Any other ideas?
>>
Seems incredibly generic and basic. What are your design intentions and goals for the system? What are you trying to achieve that other systems which already exist do not?
>>
>>52106922
just some light hearted adventure system. I want something simple for my group; I don't have an specific, prepared setting; but I like to mix fantasy with modern elements (OP's pic). I'll run a mercenary campaign but improvise it depending on the characters my players make. I'm also making a table for backgrounds, and other for monsters; but as far as mechanical rules go, this is all
>>
>>52106922
Also, related to

>What are you trying to achieve that other systems which already exist do not?

I love rules light systems, but I cannot find one that isn't either:
a) pretentious and made solely for the designer's ego, disregarding the fact that other people has to play it
b) optimized for dungeons (or taking unnecesary things from DnD)
c) imperfect for some reason (to my needs, and my humble opinion)
>>
>>52106887
Bump just in case I can get some nightly opinons

also more feats:

HP is always d6+your level, you get it back after a rest.

I'm thinking on making combat a Roll vs STR to hit, on a miss you're hit

OR

both combatants roll damage at once, difference is dealt to the lowest roller.

In that case, the fighter ability would be "take the highest of your rolls" rather than add them together
>>
Rolling for stats is fine but you don't make players roll for stats unless the impact of their stats is very low. As in maximum bonuses or negatives are within the 5-15% ranged like DnD.

Rolling for stats AND using roll under is a recipe for disaster. Someone who rolls a 15 on a stat and somebody who rolls a 9 on a stat has a 30% difference in chance to succeed, as opposed to a usual 5-10% difference.

You need to consider the weight of the mechanics you want to implement in your game before just throwing them together willy nilly. I'm sure you saw the mechanics over from OSR or Into the Odd but that doesn't automatically make them good OP.

Start again.
>>
>>52109738
thank you anon. You're right. I'm not aiming at making a "simulationist" game, Im more a story games guy. My idea is that rolling under was good success, and rolling over was "success with consequences" or failure, as the situation demanded, mostly.

Yeah, i think i wanted to mix World of Dungeons and Into the odd in one. Just that I think that the 7-9 result comes up too much in the first one, so I wrote this in a hurry.
>>
>>52109828
While the design is a lot different than what you're working with now, you might be interested in taking a look at OpenLegend. It's also built around "success with a twist", even in combat.
>>
>>52109828

Hey, I didn't realize that's what you meant, but now I'm even more confused. It seems as though, under that system, that there is no fail-state? It's always succeed or succeed with consequence?
>>
>>52109893
Yeah, you fail, but sometimes you can fail generally while succeeding at the specific action.

Example:

You're jumping from roof to roof. You describe it as a risky stunt. On a fail, you fall, roll damage.

But let's say that you were loaded with a bag of treasure or something, that was burdening you to cross a river. When you're in the middle of the current, you must roll STR to avoid being carried by the water. On a fail GM might declare that you must let the gold go; but you can make it safely across. Or give you the chance of rolling again. IDK

Whatever the situation demands. Of course it sounds well in my head, but is still untested.
>>
>>52109828
>Yeah, i think i wanted to mix World of Dungeons and Into the odd in one.

Or just Black Hack with the Six Stats fused into three
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.