[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /tg/ suggest a new D&D player learns how to DM,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

How does /tg/ suggest a new D&D player learns how to DM, by new i mean i've never played.
but i have epic ideas man, they need to be done
>>
DMing is tough and if you're only in it to tell your story then it's not a role you are suited for. Good luck anyway, but honestly the most important thing is familiarity with the rules so reading the Players Handbook/DMs guide is a good place to start
>>
>>52105592
nah im into the technical aspects, its less about story and more about expanding the game mechanics and incorporating real life shit like larp and alcohol and drugs, what with music and shit, make it a bit more immersive.
seems possible i just gotta know how the game is in practice, i had someone on another thread i made give me alot of advice i didnt get from the core books, but yeah you're right, i might not even like it, id rather find out before putting in all that effort
>>
File: 1471135062783.jpg (757KB, 960x2158px) Image search: [Google]
1471135062783.jpg
757KB, 960x2158px
There's a book called the "Dungeon Master's Guide" which is most of the best advice you need.

The problem with being new to DMing is that you don't really have a frame of reference yet for what advice will be useful to you, so my advice is just learn the basics from the guide, start playing, experiment and make mistakes, and only then worry about stuff that the guide doesn't have.

You'll also find a lot of useful tools for DMs here.
https://donjon.bin.sh/

Personally, I think the most important part of being a DM is asking yourself "would this be fun for me if I were a player?" (ie., paraphrasing the golden rule) and to also to use random name generators because making up names on the spot is hard.
>>
>>52105687
hahaha thats a good idea, and yeah i guess when you put it like that i should start a small game first
>>
>>52105550
Buy a module like castle strahd.
Run some of the dungeons from it.
See if you still want to put in the time and effort.
>>
>>52106037
ive got keep on the shadowfell
>>
A friend of mine started a discord server for GMs to chat and collaborate on stuff. I can throw you a link, if you like.
>>
>>52105550
Learn the basics of the rules. Try to get a handle on cr calculation. Learn to fudge. Have fun
>>
>>52105550
Play with people who are as new as you so they don't realize when you do something wrong. Make sure you've read the rules forward and backwards.
>>
>>52105647
Start by running a module like Phandelver, get some experience under your belt and learn WHY the existing systems are in place.
Then, as you gain a deeper understanding of balance, mechanics, and pacing, you can start introducing your own stuff as a series of small experiments. Just don't add too much at once.
>>
>>52105550
Play a minimalist, rules-light system to begin with, so you can get the hang of the other aspects of role gaming (group management, storytelling, actual role-playing, etc.) without having to spend the majority of your time wrangling with the mechanics of the game, looking up rules and shit.
>>
when making a combat encounter don't throw a bunch of monsters at your players and call it a day.
You gotta find enemies that work well together to make the encounter challenging without just having a bunch of damage sponges.
>>
>>52108352
thatd be good, cheers mate
>>
>>52112689
https://discord.gg/m9Tke
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.