[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm new to 5e and, for fun, I want to write a module. Maybe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: wow Quest Giver.jpg (115KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
wow Quest Giver.jpg
115KB, 375x500px
I'm new to 5e and, for fun, I want to write a module. Maybe even a full campaign. It will probably never get used because I think I'm too shy to ever be a DM, but I think drawing maps and coming up with some storylines would be fun.

I was thinking for my first quest, I'd have the usual rats in the tavern cellar setup, but have the barkeep lock the door behind the adventurers and have them discover some torture dungeon / meat grinder type set up.

What are the best quests you've played / written / heard about? Looking for inspiration.
>>
>I'm new to 5e
Please consider DMing at least one official adventure before it.
>>
>>52096610
If it's just for fun, why would I need to?
>>
>>52096680
Practice. Trust me, it's easier to run something that is already been done than make it up. There is a looooot of stuff that comes to running a game.
Run a module before running your own and take note on how the module does it. It wont be perfect, but it's a start.
>>
>>52096610
Yes, spend 50 dollars on one of our prepackaged linear bullshit railroad stories! That will teach you how to be a great DM and buy more Wizards of the Coast products which will help you play D&D the right way. Good goy....
>>
>>52097151
Or download them for free off of the MEGA?
>>
>>52097180
Or write an adventure yourself, like a real DM? That's what I did my first time DMing, and it went fine. Wasn't fantastic but it was fine. Sure a fucklot better than running some prepackaged bullshit.
>>
>>52097349
Well I'm a shitty DM who wanted to play it safe with prepackaged bullshit as my first time running things. It works for some people, might work for OP, might not. Don't matter shit since it's free.
>>
>>52097151
The Starter Set is the best place to start and you can get it for less than $15. It also comes with a set of dice, making it and even better deal with beginners.
>>
>>52097653
But I already said I'd probably never run it. I mostly just want to construct a story and make maps and stuff. I have read modules and have some downloaded. I don't really have any interest in running anything.

Also, by "new", I mean I've been playing for about a year.
>>
File: Adipose Daughter.jpg (933KB, 2069x1395px) Image search: [Google]
Adipose Daughter.jpg
933KB, 2069x1395px
Have the adventurers each start on their own path to the tavern, make the tavern a cramped little affair with a bulletin board on one wall with jobs listed to produce potential quests. Exotic drinks, maybe a snail-fighting ring in one corner lit by a sconce made from a giant beetle's elytra.

Maybe the tavern's owner has a job for them, fetching booze from some dinosaur-filled valley or something. Bonus points if you throw in giants that use straight-shelled cephalopods as living javelins.
>>
>>52097759
My bad.
Just write then, find a type of setting and feel you want for your adventure and work with that. That's all I got.
>>
>>52096536
It that supposed to be a Tauren?
>>
UGH THICKER
>>
>>52096536
>mage business selling premium illusionary party themes, their big draw is a whodunnit dinner party
>players are told something has gone wrong and people are being hurt for real and they must enter the illusion themselves and solve the murder(s), but must do so without giving away that things are going wrong so as not to panic the guests

from there you can either play it straight, with the mage business offering to bribe the party at the conclusion if they keep quiet and don't ruin their reputation or work in some angle about a badguy lying about the danger in the illusion in order to trick the party into a vulnerable state for whatever nefarious purpose.
>>
>>52097811
I was asking people specifically about their favorite quests and you derailed the whole thread.
>>
>>52097940
Whoa, that's kind of awesome.
>>
>>52096536
Best if you think about one of the favorite fantasy media (been it anime, movie or book) and recreate the outline of that plot to follow its storyline so you can add your own touches and characters.
Then remember to be flexible since the players will often do unexpected shit, which is part of the fun.

The best campaign I play is about super robots which pit us versus teams of raiders in searching a gigantic starship for loot. It's a lot of fun especially when we are forced to work with certain factions whom we just shoot at last session to mutually survive against other factions. Lots of backstabbing and combat. The campaign ended on a high note when we decided to retire and escape the place with our loot but not before setting off a lot of explosives as our goodbye.
>>
>>52097151
>spend 50 dollars on one of our prepackaged linear bullshit railroad stories!

So what you're saying is that it's a better deal than a mainstream video game?
>>
>>52098359
Yeah I guess, if you include the fact that you need to buy 100 dollars worth of books to even play that.

And ignoring the fact that there are better RPGs for cheaper.

And ignoring the fact that there are better video games for cheaper.

So basically, your post is completely pointless.
>>
>>52096536
Here ya go OP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTD2RZz6mlo&list=PLlUk42GiU2guNzWBzxn7hs8MaV7ELLCP_
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.