[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why haven't any of the crappy MtG clones had a ruleset that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 16.jpg (56KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
16.jpg
56KB, 312x445px
Why haven't any of the crappy MtG clones had a ruleset that has no phase restrictions on any actions?
>>
>>52083663
Because anything that doesn't imitate M;tG is weird and alien in the states.

Japan is far more receptive to new card game ideas. Bushiroad churns out games like crazy there, and Duel Masters is basically a beta-test setting for whenever Wizards wants to do something really crazy with M;tG.

Also, hearthstone doesn't really have phases that the player can interact with. Maybe that counts.
>>
>>52085195
But this is just a timing change. There are already some games that are like "MtG but everything is sorcery speed", so why isn't there "MtG, but everything is instant speed"?
>>
>>52085243
Why isn't there a movie where Paris Hilton and Kevin James play buddy cops?
>>
>>52085243

Because everything being at Sorcery speed is simpler for players to grasp (Things can be done now and not then) and easier for the devs to balance since they don't have the factor the value of Instant speed.

Everything at Instant speed is harder for the devs to balance while not making anything easier nor harder for the players to grasp.
>>
>>52085243
>>52085327
When I first got into MtG year and years ago (Urza block) the LGS owner made his own card game.
Had terrible flavor, but every mechanic could be responded to anything like a instant in magic. Was called the 'Counter-Strike' mechanic or something like that. From what I recall it didn't much timing rules aside from that, no phases or anything. Just Draw card, your turn, end
From what my 14 year old mind could remember the truly tricky part what NOT playing all your cards out of your hand, because if you were out of gas your opponent won soon after.

He actually had a print run of it and sold it in the region there, but even to my teenage mind it had flaws. Makes me wonder what happened it. Maybe if I can dredge it up I'll post it on /tg/
>>
>>52085243
Three reasons.
First, it promotes draw-go. A player has absolutely no incentive to play anything except at opponent's EOT or as a response. People fundamentally find draw-go to feel badwrong, they want to act on their own turn.
Second, it massively increases interaction complexity. Absolutely anything can come after, before, or between anything else. Things you didn't expect can fly out of nowhere. For a newbie, it'll be overwhelming.
Third, there's a number of effects that just become horrifyingly OP at instant but are totally fine at sorcery. "Target player discards a card" for example, is overwhelmingly more powerful at instant.
>>
File: 1459975400189.jpg (70KB, 1120x606px) Image search: [Google]
1459975400189.jpg
70KB, 1120x606px
>>52083663
Just for fun I want to make an MTG Clone, All this SJW bullshit is turning me off from MTG, so my one friend who owns his own business told me I should make my own game. My issue is what's too close to mtg, I know WotC is sue happy, I have been playing around with some ideas like 4 "mana" set up or 6. Also ideas of commander but with 60 card deck, but that might be too close to Force of Will the game. I know the things I want for sure are:
>A land mana system
>3-4 copy rule
>No creature card limit
>Transform cards are evergreen
>Vehicles are evergreen but work like equipment, un equip they are just walls with no attack, pay the equip cost and that Vehicle gains an attack and get's said equipped creatures power.

This is just a hobby but it might bloom into something more, my question is what is too close to MTG that might cause legal action?
>>
>>52086282
>"Target player discards a card" for example, is overwhelmingly more powerful at instant
not as much if everything is instant,but i do agree with you that instant only limits freedom in card effects a bit too much.
>>
File: p02lv29w.jpg (99KB, 1280x640px) Image search: [Google]
p02lv29w.jpg
99KB, 1280x640px
>>52086995
>I wanna make my own safe space
>fuck SJWs
>I'm really worried MtG is gonna steal my homebrew genius
>they might even sue me!

Nigga, shut the fuck up.
>>
File: 1473142859539.jpg (59KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1473142859539.jpg
59KB, 600x600px
>>52089083
Fuck you, what the hell happened to this place I remember when the men here were not numale cucks. I don't think wizards is going to steal shit from my idea, that's not what they care about. I know they have taken legal action against other card game companies in the past, so I have no idea what is too close to the WotC copyright. And better question is why the fuck do you stand up for SJW's, do you really love playing a game filled with Transfags, and sassy black women written like they are a 14 year old tumblr tard. Shit get's irradiating. Maybe you just like the taste of black cum out of your whore of a gf's liberal pussy. Fucking a nigga, check yourself before you cuck yourself.
>>
>>52083663
Because no one wants to make a game where you have to punch each other to determine who can cast first.
And no one wants to make a game with mtg sized comprehensive ruling even more.
>>
>>52089550
Gb2 /pol/ you cringey faggot.
>>
>>52086282
This.

I think instants simply are an obsolete game mechanic.
New games don't really need it.

LCG's solved this by letting you play your cards on your turn only.
Cards in play can trigger or activate during an opponents turn, but the person who's turn it is has to activate first.

This way if Person A plays a card, any possible interrupts are already on the board.
This make gameplay so much smoother.
>>
If everything is instant speed why even have turns at that point?
>>
>>52089083
>>52089700
Go back to /tumblr/ you faggot
>>
>>52085195
Shadowverse is pretty good when it comes to digital, has some jap MTG pros in dev team. Closer to Hearthstone than Magic though.
>>
>>52089550
If you care about the picture beyond maybe aesthetics abd about the lore at all, you are the faggot.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.