[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm running a campaign in pic related, and the world is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1119.png (86KB, 741x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1119.png
86KB, 741x400px
I'm running a campaign in pic related, and the world is basically styled as a plane outside of time and space where pretty much anything can be found, sort of a planar crossroads. how do I traslate that into interesting gameplay for my players?
>>
Stop shilling Strike
>>
Why does /tg/ seem to love 4E and hate Strike?
>>
If you're running a system and don't know how to make the gameplay interesting, either you have poor understanding of the system or it's a shitty system. Do one of the following:
1. Read the rules.
2. Play a better system.
>>
File: billy_corgan.jpg (20KB, 322x400px) Image search: [Google]
billy_corgan.jpg
20KB, 322x400px
>>52081109
i did a setting for gurps like this once
>players wandered in white space until they came upon hipsterville or something
>half of the party accidentally got into hitler's convertible and went to chill at his house for a while while the other half tried to rob a bus and a store
>leader of the robbing team loses an arm trying to open a cash register and has to build a new one out of the bus engine and mannequin parts
>somehow the robbing team made their way to hitler's penthouse and castrated him
later on they had rap battles with a giant spider at a generic pizza restaurant, kanye west who got bonus points for rhyming words with themselves (sick boss mechanic) and the shade of billy corgan who was the richest man in hipsterville or whatever

originally the intent was to make it grimdark and end up that they were in hell, but everyone had more fun this way i think
>>
>>52081109
Utter fucking garbage, get the fuck out
>>
>>52085214
Strike! is, an obscure indie game, that's organized like shit, and it's a lot more nebulous than 4e.

>>52081109
What are you planning for the campaign? Do you have a storyline planned or do you just want to let the players loose on the world?

I think a good idea is to have an intro storyline where the players get bearings on their characters, and then open the setting up when the players get their method of travel between different locations.

Multiverses aren't only full of people but also full of things. Going to a multiverse bazaar for item shopping should be a fun session in itself. Strike! just doesn't DO magic items that are straight stat upgrades, but you can easily make weapons/armor that poach powers from other classes. Using a "one step up" system should keep them from taking over the character (at-will power becomes encounter, encounter power becomes action point power or some sort of other limitation, like using it incurring a strike or having some in-fiction recharge/cooldown). Feel free to poach some magical effects from other games; in general, poaching things from other games and settings should be right at home with your game. I recommend giving Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2nd ed a read, has many somewhat unique cantrip effects that are great for minor magic items.
>>
>>52087641
Some more stuff

Think about what challenges your players will need to come over and calibrate skills and tricks/kits accordingly. If you want them to spend time navigating between worlds, don't make a "travel between worlds" skill, make a bunch of smaller skills that are needed during that main skill. Only make a trick that reads "you always navigate successfully" if you will have the action happen a either a lot of times during session (or possibly only in fringe cases, but what tricks a character takes shows you what he wants to do); if it happens only, say, once a session, the players can just always bypass this thing you wanted them to interact with.

Go over the Team Challenge rules, I think they are great as they are, but putting in some pre-work for the type of challenges the players will face pays dividents. If you can explain what an example action is and how it helps with offense/defense it makes it a lot clearer and helps immerse the players more in the action.
>>
Bumping this before I head home.

If you are doing interplanar shenanigans, you'll probably also want some exotic terrain. The 4e DMGs have a host of interesting terrain effects you can poach, but you could do some silly shit like grab the terrains and elemental wheel from Megaman Battle Network; Strike! has the support for shit like that.
>>
I was hoping there'd be some interest from other parties, or OP would come along... or hell, maybe even a Touhou.

Well, some more ideas: Character races. I fucking love making character races in Strike!. Either make them along with your players, or just make a bunch and have the players pick.

Also, player backgrounds: where did they come from? The worlds the players originate from could be sources for all sorts of adventures.
>>
File: Strike!_iconics.png (1MB, 1100x785px) Image search: [Google]
Strike!_iconics.png
1MB, 1100x785px
Pre sleep bump.
>>
I haven't played Strike yet, but I'm hoping to give it a shot soon. A long running campaign ended and my group is taking the opportunity to try some new stuff.

>>52085410
I ran a game of 3.5 with a similar kind of "everything at once/hell" setting.

Everyones character had to be a failed TV character of some kind. One guy was anthropomorphic fire from a childrens history show that explained the hindenburg disaster. Another guy was man made of knives from an alternate reality where CutCo did TV marketing instead of door to door sales. The 3rd character was "Gatorman" from a reality tv show called "Bayou Gators" about gator people living in louisiana swamps.

I put them through a number of encounters, including getting the drivers liscences at the DMV, competing in the tour de france against Donkey Kong, competing the presidential debates against Mitt Romney and Teddy Roosevelt, and I put them on trial for the murder of another PC (from a previous one shot adventure there current characters had nothing to do with). They played 20 questions with a gnome who had a machine that plucked turkeys. Finally, they faced ME, the DM, personified as a Shitmancer, who had golems made of shit and cast spells like Grease and Mud Ball.

Good times were had by all. Gatorman became president.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.