[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to replicate a super fast and complicated action

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1360959202024[1].jpg (2MB, 1740x1231px) Image search: [Google]
1360959202024[1].jpg
2MB, 1740x1231px
Is it possible to replicate a super fast and complicated action game in tabletop form?
>>
>>52069698
Unless you're going to try some REALLY weird stuff, you're still playing a turn-based game. That said, you can definitely try to streamline things and put an emphasis on quick combat with lots of planning and building between combats?
>>
>>52069698
If you could find a way to do simultaneous turns without too much chaos, that might work.
>>
File: SSShutdown.gif (3MB, 338x136px) Image search: [Google]
SSShutdown.gif
3MB, 338x136px
>>52069698
It will probably bog down into action economy abuse and doing the same couple maneuvers for max efficiency unless you somehow make SSStylishness a mechanic. See Shadowrun.
>>
>>52069698
A game with premade actions that are on cards and have specific interactions. Sure. Try White Wolf's Streetfighter game. They also took the combat system and gave it a work over and used it for a more complex combat system for World of Darkness stuff.

It's fast, and decently complicated. Pretty cool for fast and fun combat stuff. Not at all realistic, but fun.
>>
>>52069698

Legends of the Wulin is my favourite system for high action combat. It's rather crunchy, very weird and suffers from an awfully edited core book, but it creates an amazing combat dynamic. More interesting things can happen in a single round of LotW combat than an entire fight of (non-4e) D&D.
>>
>>52069698
I had some moderate success when i tried to run an armored core thing. All turns happened roughly in the span of 2-3 seconds and you could both move and shoot in the same turn, movement merely incurred a small accuracy penalty while adding to your ability to evade, the limit on what players could do was their energy gauge. You could keep blasting away with your laser and firing your boosters at full while doing dodge maneuvers but ti'd drain your power fast and create large moments of vulnerability. my friend who play tested it was overly cautious and fairly smart, barely expending any energy until something closed the gap and she could afford to spend large sums of energy to flank or gain other advantages and making zealous use of her laser blade.
>>
>>52071261
Also I should point out that varied enemy types, armaments and the fact that enemy units of sufficient rank could pull of just as much if not more than she could times. Which really helped to make sure she couldn't just rely on the same tactic over and over. Although I do admit I made most of the enemy units melee enthusiasts which worked to her advantage as she is way better at thinking with swords than guns and missiles.
>>
>>52071303
Also I was running things with more a "lets make some fuckin sick ass shit happen" than anything else.
>>
Try Hell Vice Merciless
>>
>>52069698
Yes but the system needs to be more narrative than tactical.

Try Wushu.
>>
Wild Talents works real well for this. Most One Roll Engine games do in fact; everyone declares their actions in order of lowest sense to highest sense, they all roll together and then narrate how the actions unfold based on the dice outcomes. I've right fights with 9 different combatants in Wild Talents where everything still unfolded sensibly and without slowing much down at all.
>>
>>52076234

I've always liked the idea of Wushu, but the actual mechanics are so light I've never been able to get into it. I can see the appeal, but I like combat to have more mechanical nuance and meaningful choices involved.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.