[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you do a campaign that's just one town and one big

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 640381.jpg (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
640381.jpg
2MB, 1920x1200px
How do you do a campaign that's just one town and one big dungeon (something like Etrian Odyssey or Diablo 1)? How do you keep it interesting?
>>
>>52069317
Go watch Danmachi
>>
>>52069317
>Diablo 1
>How do you keep it interesting?

Well you don't. But you invest so much time in it that you want to see the end.
>>
>>52069317

I actually really liked the way Torchlight 1 did this, the dungeon side anyway. As you got deeper and deeper you found even older and stranger sites, completely changing up the aesthetic and building a story of the successive generations of building on the same site.

On the town side, I'd have it react to this. Initial wealth from the first successful dungeon delves making it larger and more prosperous, unique magical items or conveniences coming into common use as more secrets are unearthed from below, the people, culture, architecture and such all influenced by what you discover on your journeys into the deep.
>>
>>52069317
Make the dungeon interesting. Duh.
>>
File: 1460602095055.jpg (197KB, 1024x1431px)
1460602095055.jpg
197KB, 1024x1431px
>>52069317
Explain how the one big dungeon came to exist and its purpose.

Explain how the dungeon has functions that provide economic incentive and eplain the use of the Guild as a Private Mercenary Company and economic trader.

Have the monsters in the dungeon begin to be threats to the world and the reason why the further in you go, the more dangerous monsters become. (IE: Barriers in the dungeon stop stronger monsters from reaching the surface. Monsters are intelligent enough to create a hierarchy system, stronger monsters guard the heart of their dungeon home and weaker ones are stationed as first guards close to the surface. Etc)

See:>>52069349
>>
i can think of a few ways

>the Mega Man Legends

the town is built on top of the ruins, but it's not as simple as 'there's a big trapdoor in the church basement that leads to the hellmouth'. there are multiple entryways leading into separate parts of the same massive complex, some of which are quite safe and are used by townsfolk for various purposes. some sections are closed off. some have already been explored.

>the Arx Fatalis

there's nothing but the dungeon. the town(s) is/are a walled off fortress occupying part of the upper levels. expeditions outside to gather resources are quite common.
>>
>>52069317
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlRBzoKN4NY
>>
The players are damned souls in a labyrinthian Hell, trying to seek their way back to the world of the living.
>>
File: 1467966495215.gif (350KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
1467966495215.gif
350KB, 500x282px
>>52069317
Either copy the starting island in Pandaria, or the entire game of Dark Cloud 1.

One medium sized island with caves, a few small villages, and a dungeon or two.

OR

One city with a connected dungeon. Save city by conquering the unique challenge of the dungeon, then move the fuck on to the next one.

>just one town and one dungeon
i'm fuckin bored already.
>mfw
>>
>>52069317
The PC's are thrown into an ancient labyrinth turned prison colony for crimes they may or may not have committed. The only way out is to fight through the labyrinth and fight the warden. Turns out the warden was once a prisoner and now one of the PC'S must be condemned to be the new warden so the rest of the party can be free.
>>
>>52069317
floating island
>>
>>52069317
Or you can do a town built around a tower to heaven that was built to challenge mortals long ago. The town was built around it and makes money from adventurers and tourist. It can be interesting to have a god or angel or something as the antagonist who is not really evil just wants to provide a challenge for mortals to overcome. And instead of monsters they fight fallen hero's reborn to defend the tower they once challenged.
>>
An idea I had once was a city built over ancient magical ruins that had teleportation gates that led to various places. Some went to various locales all over the world, making it a valuable trade hub for instant transportation. Some went to fantastic locals, even older and deeper ruins, etc. Because of the dimensional magic tied up in the place, any area not maintained by beacon obelisks would shift and change over time. Problem: these obelisks also tend to drive monsters fucking berserk. If activated and held long enough it will drive them away from a region, but a lone beacon firing off is an 'attack me' sign. Plus the various criminals, bandits, theives and smugglers that have come to infest the uncontrolled levels.

Because of its value for trade, hidden riches, ancient magic, etc the upper levels are strictly controlled and patrolled to keep away monsters. The further away you get from known areas the more dangerous it gets, but the potential for new trade routes or ancient treasures is always driving explorers deeper
>>
>>52072234
related, but not the same as your idea.

Teleportation Gates don't transport you directly to each place. Each leads to a corridor from an unknown dimension before linking to the destination at the end. While these corridors are shorter than regular travel, in the region of hours or days as opposed to weeks or months, they are filled with endlessly spawning monsters. Travel through these gates are so dangerous that bodyguard duty for Gate travel is just as lucrative as adventuring into the Dungeon.

The key is that not all Gates are equal. Though they are not yet fully understood, different Gates vary in the length of their Corridor and the strength of their monsters. In some cases, trade is restricted simply because the Corridors are too narrow for caravans to safely traverse.

And so it is with both economic and political motivations that nations fight over the Gates, buying out adventurers discovering new Gates and sending saboteurs to disconnect old Gates in the hopes of claiming the connection for themselves.

Yet it is said that the Corridors themselves can be found deep within the Dungeon....
>>
>>52069349

I unironically came here to suggest something Danmachi based, so yeah do this.

You'll probably find it as 'Is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon?'. Which is a weirdly misleading name for the translation.
>>
>>52072111
Dark cloud had a dungeon for every town though, which was fun since they were all themed to fit the town itself.
I mean, that does make sense since they do, in a sense, also contain the town.

the only one I thought was confusing was the shipwreck. Like, why were the people in queens using a monster filled shipwreck as a warehouse?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.