[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

They key to understanding D&D is that the best gameplay occurs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: d20.png (44KB, 478x504px) Image search: [Google]
d20.png
44KB, 478x504px
They key to understanding D&D is that the best gameplay occurs when you ignore the rules.
>>
>>52068202

If a game is better when you ignore the rules, then it's a shitty fucking game.

In a well designed game, the rules enhance the experience, being there to support the GM and group when necessary and not getting in the way when they aren't needed.
>>
>>52068202
Really? You're trying this again? After you got BTFO so hard last time and the time before that?

Fuck off, you retarded troll. Your bait is weak, and your spamming is sad and pathetic.
>>
>>52068202
Since the first time I read one of the rule books. But nobody else ever wants to play the games I want to play so I kind of have to deal with it. I have to accept that non-D&D systems and campaign don't actually exist and they're just fantasies I need to forget about. I can still enjoy myself playing D&D if I'm with the right players or playing with friends.
>>
>>52068326
It's honestly gotten to the point where if I don't see this thread in the catalogue I get concerned.
>>
>>52068326
>a rules system for ADVENTURING and EPIC FANTASY

>99% of the rules are for miniatures wargaming

lol
>>
>>52068219
>If a game is better when you ignore the rules, then it's a shitty fucking game.
I'd say this applies too when you have to homebrew massive chunks of the game and its rules.

I had a GM who spent over a year coming up with homebrew rules and revisions for Pathfinder. It didn't make our campaign any better every time he stacked on a new chunk content or rules - all it did was mean that we had to rebuild our characters and wait another month for a session that was lackluster because he spent more theory-crafting than actually coming up with a fun encounter. Basically turned everyone in my regular group off Pathfinder forever.
>>
>>52069054

>I had a GM who spent over a year coming up with homebrew rules and revisions for Pathfinder. It didn't make our campaign any better every time he stacked on a new chunk content or rules - all it did was mean that we had to rebuild our characters and wait another month for a session that was lackluster because he spent more theory-crafting than actually coming up with a fun encounter. Basically turned everyone in my regular group off Pathfinder forever.

That sounds like someone combining the babys first game enthusiasm with weapons grade tism.
>>
>>52069054

Yeah, it's the whole rule zero/oberoni fallacy. That a broken game can be fixed doesn't mean it isn't broken, because if it wasn't broken it wouldn't need to be fixed in the first place.

Of course, there's a balance to be struck. A basic level of homebrewing and tweaking a system to your preferences is expected in most RPG groups, along with making custom content, but I think there's a clear difference between that kind of thing and rewriting entire chunks of a system just to make them function.
>>
>>52068720
>EPIC FANTASY always involves FIGHTING and WAR.

>cries that the EPIC FANTASY game has rules about WAR because people don't like playing PRETEND and would rather have actual numbers, you know, like an actual GAME

lol
>>
Hmmm.... reallly cranks your cranium....
>>
>>52068202
They key to understanding D&D is to understand that removing loot for XP was a mistake
>>
>>52069082
It was very much his first time GM'ing, yeah. Not that his subsequent times were much better.
>>
>>52068720
I know I'm about 10 years late to come to this conclusion, but that really does open my eyes to a lot of problems with 3.5 in particular. It has a whole thick chapter all about cones of range and charging and flanking and all this other shit, and then most combats in campaigns I've played are in small enough rooms that basically everything is in range, or there's an explicit "you have to spend a turn to get from subfight A to subfight B, with no use of a grid system at all.

not going to weigh in on whether D&D is good or not
>>
>>52068202
D&D is fine... though it depends on the edition I think. I like 1, 2, 4 and 5. Not in that order, but there is aspects of all 4 that I enjoy.
>Pathfinder is DND 3.6

I haven't really found another fantasy RPG that fits what I want, though I should check out Warhammer's RPG rulebook.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.