[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 403
Thread images: 30

File: magicr.jpg (82KB, 720x479px) Image search: [Google]
magicr.jpg
82KB, 720x479px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>New Unearthed Arcana: Traps Revisited
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/0227_UATraps.pdf

>Give feedback on the previous Unearthed Arcana:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/19723ad02610

>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b:
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools:
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Question for DMs: What blatant 1:1 ripoff for a story/NPC/adventure/hook/quest/item/etc. were you able to get away with without the players realizing they were in the middle of your take of the Empire Strikes Back (or others)? Did it result in flying colors or a flat-out bust?

Question for Players: When was the last "horrible decision" moment your party had? Has it affected the campaign severely or not much?

>Previous Session: >>52055466
>>
>http://www.strawpoll.me/12483412

Clerics have too many damn domains.
>>
Additional questions for DM's:How many campaigns/sessions (i got only like 4 sessions in between 2 campaigns so I have to mention) did you get in before becoming a DM and how do you deal with the pain knowing you'll never actually play again?
>>
File: 1488259983707.png (271KB, 479x477px) Image search: [Google]
1488259983707.png
271KB, 479x477px
>>52062209
Fffffffuck off forge domainfags with your AC stacking.
>>
>>52062209
They kinda have a hard limit though. They can only have as many domains as divine portfolios exist and divine portfolios are broad as shit in most settings.
>>
>>52062219
>how do you deal with the pain knowing you'll never actually play again?
You tell the players to not be idiots, and that if they want you to GM, they should step up sometimes as well.

Though to be fair, GMing takes a certain kind of person, and I often find myself enjoying GMing more than playing a PC. Especially when I get to make a DMPC the players can boss around, and do whatever they want with.
>>
File: hum.jpg (47KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
hum.jpg
47KB, 200x200px
>>52062209
>tfw you're making even more domains
>tfw you know others think your fun is wrong
>>
Does anyone else have any ideas like >>52061635 ?

I'm running Storm King's Thunder and I see that the treasure tables are basically non-existent.
>>
Any advice for building a fighter who dual wields long swords?
>>
>>52062363
1) pick fighter as your class
2) v human with the dual wielder feat
3) get 2 longswords
4) ???
5) profit
>>
>>52062339
Well, that's because items in the dungeon crawls are basically all listed and you can use the Giant Bag chart or the extra giant bag chart in issue I think 11 of Dragon+ to roll bag loot. But yeah, maybe make some specific charts for yourself for some of the random encounters based on giant type.
>>
>>52062247
>>52062209
This is going to be the battle of Grave vs Forge, isn't it?
>>
>>52062332
I only stepped up to GM because the one that was I was playing with was hot garbage and the others nearby don't do 5e. I want to branch out and try other systems too like M&M and eventually 3.pf if just to see what its like to be a powergaming megafaggot just once. I greatly enjoy making the world but I just feel like were accomplishing nothing in sessions. I'm still trying to figure out how to get them to drop bad habits from other DMs while building interesting encounters that aren't just fuckloads of monsters.
>>
Why would furries play druids?
They only get to be animals half the time, and not special animals. And not whatever class they imagine their creature being.

A real furry would homebrew up some shit anthropomothic race (Because existing ones aren't their tastes) and play that instead.
>>
>>52062363

Do what >>52062377 says and also make sure to pick the two weapon fighting fighting style.

Now its your choice between two fighter archetypes since EK won't get mileage out of a two weapon fighter as you'll have competing bonus actions.

That leaves battle master and champion.

Champion is the bare bones as far as your martial archetypes are concerned and having the extra attack from dual wielding will help you fish for your already expanded critical hit range and you'll have no special options competing for your use of bonus action outside the main class feature of Second Wind.

As for battlemaster, and all its fiddly bits, the move to trip an opponent will be awesome to granting advantage to the rest of your attack routine if done at the top of your turn, but a few maneuvers will still serve no purpose because again, they'll offer competing options for your bonus action. Like Commanders Strike, not something you need to take. Though I would definitely recommend Riposte.
>>
>>52062363
1. Don't
2. Fucking
3. Don't
4. Stop it.
5. Play strength barbarogue or swashbuckler or AT or bladesinger instead. You know, pretty much anyone who actually DOESN'T suck with two-weapon-fighting.
>>
>>52062453
Stealth Furries, my friend.
>>
>>52062453
Difference between common garden variety Obnoxious Furfag and Advanced Furry. The latter understand the concept of hiding their power level, but often they're bad at it and still come across as "dude who wants to fuck wolves."
>>
File: jouster_by_quargon-d7v47dr.png (1MB, 1024x1301px) Image search: [Google]
jouster_by_quargon-d7v47dr.png
1MB, 1024x1301px
Newbie DM here, AC is getting out of hand in my game. What do? Everyone has like 17-20 AC.
Can I just capture the party, strip them naked, and start over? Throw them into a dream/the astral realm where they all just start wearing clothes?
Its making combat suck because no one can hit anyone, so everything drags on with whole rounds sometimes of people missing.
Do I just tell them I fucked up and everyone is getting new armor?
Do I just start making monsters have +2 to hit or whatever?
>>
In my current game, the players must play as either human, or a half human (part of the plot).
So to compensate for this I decided to juice up the races available on the table.
Human: +1 to all scores, 1 skill, 1feat
Half-Elf: See PBH, +Eladrin Escape. Which is the use of misty step once per short rest.
Half Orc: See PBH, +Aggression. As a bonus action you can move up to your speed toward a hostile creature.
Half-Fiend (Cambion): See That Old Black Magic (unearthed arcana). +30ft of Flying speed.
Half-Genie (Genasi): See EE Player's Companion. +Expanded subrace. These features are given in addition to what is already in the EEPC.
Wind - One with the Wind: You have flying speed equal to your speed, but only in the direction the wind is already blowing. You are also immune to the prone condition.
Earth - Cantrip Magic Stone. Natural Mountaineer: you have climb speed equal to your speed, this is doubled if the surface you are climbing is stone or earth.
Fire - Nurturing Embers: When resting around a Bonfire 35ft or larger in diameter, a Long Rest for you is Half as long.
Water - Tide's Blessing: When resting around a body of water 35ft or larger in diameter, a Long Rest for you is considered half as long.
Half-Giant (Goliath): +2 Str & +1 Con, Natural Athlete, Powerful Build, Subrace.
Cloud Giant: Cantrip Thunderclap, cast Fog Cloud at level 3 once per short rest, Cloud Step: you can walk on clouds.
Fire Giant: Fire Resistance, Proficiency in Smith's Tools, Heavy Armor Proficiency.
Frost Giant: Cold Immunity, Snow Step: You and your party travel at full speed in snowy Teraign.
Hill Giant: +1 Con, Strong Stomach Acid: You can digest nearly anything even rocks. Additionally, reduce poison damage you ingest by your Con modifier.
Stone Giant: Mountain Born: See EEPC, Stones Endurance: Once per Short Rest, when you take damage you can roll a 1d12 + your Constitution score (yes score), take the total and reduce the damage by that.
Cont.
>>
>>52062558
Casters. Casters, Traps, and Environmental Hazards.

Saving Throws.
>>
>>52062558
1) what level are they?
2) what race/class are they playing?
3) what are you running? Published module, homemade?
>>
>>52062104
I don't have my copy of the DMG on hand to reference the exact text - can someone verify? It doesn't matter, he's still a dick either way, but this sounds retarded to me.

>Is there anything I can do to make this better?
Run. While you still can. Aka have someone else DM, this guy is a cunt.

>>52057383
Ask if the player wants the character to have epic rewards thrust upon her. It's very possible the player may not. In which case, I'd respect those wishes. Give her a good, quiet life. Maybe a lakefront inn to run, with a nice view of the sunset over the lake, and a family, if the player is into that. Or maybe the player would rather keep wandering, playing the songs of her companions' saga for years to come. Maybe she puts the tale to pen, ala There And Back Again, so that the world may never forget their heroism.

Find out what the player is aiming for, theme wise, and run with it.

Thinking about the quiet good end makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.
>>
>>52062558
I feel ya man. The fighter in my campaign is basically invincible (he also has parry).
>>
>>52062601
Forgot
4) what gear do they have?
>>
>>52062558
>>52062593
Pretty much this. Heat Metal is your friend.
>>
>>52062588
Storm Giant: Cantrip Shocking Grasp, at level 5 cast Lighting Bolt once per Long Rest, Storm Born: The Weather is tied to your physical condition. The closer you are to death, the more intense a storm begins forming around you for a mile.
Half-Dwarf: +2 Con & +1 to any other score (including Con)
Darkvision: 60ft
Dwarf Blood: Advantage on saves made against poison.
Born Artisan: Choose a Proficiency in any Artisan's Tools of your choice.
Mineralogy: By smelling, tasting, and otherwise inspecting, you can tell the worth of any gem, ore, or precious metals.
Miners Endurance: You can Mine for twice as long as normal, Addionally once per day you can as an action cure yourself of one level of exhaustion.

Does these races seem fun or otherwise interesting to play? Thoughts please.
>>
>>52062481
On that note - Someone in the last thread mentioned re-working two weapon fighting. Would "Add your offhand damage weapon damage dice to weapon attacks" be fair? So dual wielding shortswords becomes 2d6+ability mod. I suppose that lets rogues have a finesse greatsword for no investment, which is maybe a bit much. Maybe require TWF feat or martial weapon proficiency. How fair does that seem?
>>
>>52062558
Anon, have you heard about Rust monsters by any chance?
>>
>>52062558
AoE, make them use their saves. Fireball, Breath Weapons, shit like Cloudkill.
Remind them that there are more dangerous things than wood and metal.
>>
So, I realised the only class I haven't homebrewed sub-classes for is Rogue. I can't decide which of the following ideas I want to work on. What does the general think?
-Poison Master
-Weapon Master
-Trap Maker
-Conversions of the Artificer subclasses to Rogue subclasses cause Artificer sucks
-Scary Rogue.
>>
>>52062601
They're level 4.
Theres a fighter, a paladin, two heavy armor clerics, and a ranger, so thats part of it
Home made campaign
Gear wise its just a big mix of stuff. 3/5 of them use shields, and the others dual wield and have the feat for +1 ac.
Its not like they're all heavily optimized, they just have so much AC I feel like its bogging the game down.
>>52062593
>>52062695
>>52062854
Yeah I guess I have to start doing more caster-y stuff. I just like mundane guys. Maybe I need to start sending enemies at them that set each other up with advantage somehow. Darkness, pack tactics, etc.
More environmental hazards are a good idea.

I just wish the campaign could keep going as it is with the kinds of enemies they face (lots of zombies and stuff) but just have those enemies be more scary again.
>>
>>52062558
Are you retarded? 17 to 20 AC is fucking standard.
>>
>>52062926
If you need stronger undead, invent some. It's a world full of magic so just think of something.
Zombie Ogres, Burning Skeletons that shoot lightning, Golems composed of thousands of maggots or scarabs. Use your imagination.
>>
What makes the other D&D settings unique?
Eberron, Dark Sun, Mystara, Dragonlance, Greyhawk, Rokugan and the likes? I've read a bit about them but I'd like to hear opinions.
>>
>>52062921
Shadowdancer.
>>
File: LS155807_HR.jpg (335KB, 1304x922px) Image search: [Google]
LS155807_HR.jpg
335KB, 1304x922px
Why would anyone run arcane trickster rogue when trickery domain cleric does basically the same thing only much, much better?

Shit like this makes me mad
>>
>>52063074
You're retarded m8.
>>
File: u wot.png (71KB, 217x163px) Image search: [Google]
u wot.png
71KB, 217x163px
>>52063093
sai that to me fecking face, guv'nuh
>>
File: 1481224934489.jpg (780KB, 900x1350px) Image search: [Google]
1481224934489.jpg
780KB, 900x1350px
>>52062955
In case you're actually wondering what my deal is and not just trolling, the issue I'm having is that now that ACs are that high, combats have been dragging on because there are sometimes whole dead rounds where the party rolls bad and no monsters can hit them. I asked and got some solutions to this problem. And to answer your question idk maybe. I might be retarded.
>>52062967
I have been inventing a few. I think I'm just missing the smaller numbers game. I guess its just hard letting go and watching the party grow up. I like the idea of burning skeletons that shoot lightning though, and that weirdly fits into the campaign I'm doing because theres a sub plot about the corruption of fire magic and I also kind of have a thing I'm trying to work in with a storm god.
>>
>>52062704
Make it +1d4, no matter what the off hand weapon is. +1d6 with a feat,.or maybe as part of the 2wf feat.
>>
>>52063150
Does the party make use of advantage? Do the monsters?

They all should!
>>
>>52062608
Maybe. I am just a bit annoyed about not having picked up any real goal from her, while the others have been very clear about the direction they want to go.

[spoilers]It makes me feel like a shit GM[/spoilers]
>>
>>52062921
>-Poison Master
And give them options for poisons that aren't fucking retarded, like what we currently have.

Still hoping the next UA is Poisons revised.

Fuck your mystic.
>>
>>52062999
>Eberron
Magitek aside, it's the best setting for a hardboiled film-noir kind of mood. Everyone feels out-of-place and unfulfilled, even the dragons, and there's a sense of nationalism and other overarching ideologies crushing the individual. It's not a hell-on-earth like Dark Sun or Ravenloft, but there's a more abstract sort of suffering everywhere.

The distinct thing about Mystara is that reaching a high enough level automatically makes you immortal. A community of uber-powerful retired adventurers manipulates the world in secret and fight each other Highlander-style.

Dragonlance is the corniest D&D setting. Everything is played straight as a +1 arrow, and you're supposed to sort of cultivate a naive point of view when playing it. It tries to take everything old and make it new again, not by changing it, but by having everyone pretend their hardest like they've never seen it before.

There is no reason to play Greyhawk. It's too silly to be a serious campaign setting and too serious to be a silly one.
>>
First time DM here. One of my players deciced to play a GoO warlock chaotic evil and wants to kill as many other PCs as possible. Starting at lv5 and I dont want to get into a shitfest between players.
wat do
>>
>>52063365
just tell him no, make a new character.
dnd table is a group activity, he can jerk himself off to power fantasies on his own time.
>>
>>52063365
Tell him to come up with a new hook. That's retarded and nobody is gonna have fun with that character in the group.
>>
>>52063365
"Hi, it's my first time being a DM and I don't think I could handle one of my players trying to engage in PvP. Could we not do that, at least until I'm a more experienced DM?"
>>
>>52063365
Tell them no.

If they don't take no for an answer, say that you don't take no for an answer, and show them the door.
>>
>>52063365
Tell them they aren't allowed play an Evil character.
You'll probably kick him soon or later, since this is his idea of 'fun' but always give people a chance.
>>
File: 1473041626894.png (327KB, 512x567px) Image search: [Google]
1473041626894.png
327KB, 512x567px
>>52062921
Devil Fruit Eater
>>
Help, need opinions on my homebrew. I know it's shit, it's shit by definition.
http://pastebin.com/nQRmGvwj
>>
>>52063384
>>52063390
>>52063406
>>52063411
>>52063423

thanks
>>
Okay I'm playing a Lore Bard and I just hit 6. I'm probably taking Haste or Slow. Should I get bot or one or thee other? Or should I get a lower level spell?
>>
>>52063345
Thanks. I've been interested in Eberron for a while, but nothing's out for it in 5e- Might have to go search out the older books.
>>
>>52063540
can anyone else cast haste? if so, get something else.
get aura of vitality, get animate dead, get conjure animals, get counterspell, get fireball, get fly, get revivify.
get something game changing. don't get slow. hell i wouldn't even get haste unless someone on you team can really benefit from it.
you can fly, turn into gas, raise and talk to the dead, bring the dead back to life, control storms, curse people. anything you want. and you want to give someone an extra attack, or slow down one enemy?
>>
Any concept ideas for battlemaster fighters? l'm completely uninspired.
>>
File: IMG_8uvq3z.jpg (56KB, 720x477px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8uvq3z.jpg
56KB, 720x477px
>tfw good aligned character
>tfw party meets a devil and goes evil
>>
File: Hot Bones Meme Edition.png (430KB, 727x768px) Image search: [Google]
Hot Bones Meme Edition.png
430KB, 727x768px
>>52063150
I didn't put much thought into this, but you could work something out from this.
>>
I've found that BM fighters can multiclass well with just about any other class and you get a cool, very unique character.
>>
So pureblood paladins are really good, but I can't quite seem to justify a "nice" yuan ti. Then again, I don't see why an emotionless being would make sacrifices to dark gods to save the world either.

Still, it would be crazy mechanically effective to have, say, an oath of the ancients pureblood. Even a shield focused one could have a decent attack via poison spray.

Any idea on why a yuan ti would do... anything, other than eat rats and lay in the sun, let alone be a reasonably nice protector?
>>
>>52063669
>>52063710
>>
>>52063690
>CR 3
>Fireball
>>
>>52063721
to reclaim a stolen artifact that is conveniently linked to the main quest
>>
>>52062209
Don't greentext the link next time
>>
>>52063721
Defend sneks
>>
>>52063737
Oh fuck, I forgot to change that.
>>
>>52063721
Does one need to have emotions as we commonly accept them to be to acknowledge what's right and wrong?
>>
>>52063721
Amnesia, it got knocked out, picked up by some knights and trained in the way of their order, etc, etc. It knows nothing about its heritage, even though it acts cold and detached without meaning to.
>>
>>52063710
>>52063724
Well sure but l chose bm fighter in the first place because l don't wanna think too much. so no multiclassing, at least for now.
>>
>>52062209
YYYEEEAAAHHHH WAR DOMAIN ON THE BOARD NOW
>>
File: dungeon_tiles_shadowgast_manor.jpg (35KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
dungeon_tiles_shadowgast_manor.jpg
35KB, 480x360px
Help me out, anons. Does anyone use the D&D Dungeon Tiles sets (3rd or 4th ed) or have any other terrain tiles or maps they use?

I'm trying to stay on a budget and have been shopping through all of the D&D Dungeon tilesets and some other sets on drivethrurpg.com that are very cool (they have a big GM sale going on btw.)

I'm also getting ye old vinyl battlemat, which are great, but my questions are if I do go for a set or two, are the essentials ones enough to make anything substantial? How about does anybody use any other types of set besides just drawing out their maps? Any other advice is fucking welcome as fuck.

I can't print anything, btw, so all of the cool pdf stuff is off the table for right now.
>>
>>52063763
Good point, though I don't know. I assume they have some sort of abstract motivating force.

>>52063769
Makes sense too.

>>52063750
>>52063739
Also works.
>>
>>52063773
>arbalest crossbowman. Different manuevres=different crossbow bolts
>scimitar arabian dervish with sweeping attack, trip and evasive footwork
>Roman centurion commander with commander's strike, rally and maneuvering attacks
>light armored, dex based spear-and-round-shield myrmidon
>cocky rapier wielding buccaneer
>>
File: tumblr_n5q0a7fdts1rby56yo1_500.gif (1017KB, 500x272px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n5q0a7fdts1rby56yo1_500.gif
1017KB, 500x272px
>>52063669
battlemaster/(open hand?) monk is one i've been wanting to do
>>
>>52063690
bretty gud
>>
Anyone have experience 3D printing your own miniatures?
Is it feasible? Do I need to be an artist/3D modeler?
What's your favorite resources?
How much do I need to invest to do it not shittily?
Any device recommendations?
>>
>>52063828
nudge
>>
>>52063828
Get the blank, vinyl maps that represent different terrains flatly, then spend the cash on really good markers, instead of tile sets. Tile sets ultimately suck. They aren't designed for what you're doing, so you either have to design around them and never use them again, or make all your terrain generic to your reuse of them. Either option kinda sucks so, unless you're gonna just spend an ungodly sum of money collecting every tile set ever so that you have enough variety? Good markers and terrain colors.
>>
>>52063345
>The distinct thing about Mystara is that reaching a high enough level automatically makes you immortal. A community of uber-powerful retired adventurers manipulates the world in secret and fight each other Highlander-style.
They're the literal Gods of the setting, they don't kill each other, and "reaching a high enough level" is only the start of questing for Immortality. Seriously, go whip out the old WoI and look at the rules for becoming an Immortal. It's like the DM needs to build a campaign around just fucking one party member doing this and everyone else is trying to help him, and it takes 20 fucking years or something.
>>
>>52063895
I'm an engineer who does CAD for work and I don't think I'd have the skills to design reasonably realistic minis.

3-D printers that aren't shit are also really expensive, though the programs can be pirated.
>>
>>52063837
>>52063763
Also, how about a desire to understand those emotions, and emulate them to as far as they can manage while also representing what so many people consider an ideal?
I'm tired so that probably didn't make sense
>>
File: Screenshot_20170307-202526.png (198KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170307-202526.png
198KB, 720x1280px
How does this look?
Maid draconic bloodline Sorceress
>>
>>52063953
>player name: harpy
>>
mystic today?
>>
>>52063920
Thanks man this is what I was really thinking. Was reading reviews on the Pathfinder flip-mats which sound decent but are laminated paper instead of vinyl and a lot of people talk about creases they can't get out. I wish the Chessex vinyl mats came in like green grass or gray stone colors but they're only in tan.

The markers seem to be the coolest thing about the tile sets but you can get those from lots of places and far cheaper. Hell, most of the tilesets are out of print now so they go for at least $20 to $40-$50, and for that higher price you can get one of the damned D&D board games that comes with a shitload of markers and 40+ miniatures.

I'm just a sucker for great looking terrain so the tilesets caught my eye, but you're right. They seem very limited use.
>>
>>52063999
No. No UA until next Monday, the 13th.

And it probably won't be Mystic because they need a whole two fuckin' weeks to disappoint everyone again.
>>
>>52063999
We can get mystic today if you want ~~~
>>
>>52063939
That works too.
>>
>>52064007
>a lot of people talk about creases they can't get out.
I have those. Getting the creases out is a pain in the ass of backfolding, and then you can never put them away or the problem comes back. Also the colors on them make most markers show really poorly, which sucks.

I do have a bunch of the pathfinder tile sets and I always like them in theory, but never actually use any because the sizes don't work for me, very well, which is why I'm kinda turned off to tilesets in general.

>I'm just a sucker for great looking terrain so the tilesets caught my eye, but you're right
Exactly the reason I bought them and am recommending that you do not waste money also doing so.
>>
>>52064008
>next week, we unvail the long awaited POISONS REVISITED
>Long have people been complaining about poisons being unviable, too expensive, and too weak, and we never disappoint our loyal fans
>Now you can finally make that poison specialist you always wanted!
>>
>>52064073
No, that would actually be somewhat useful. They wouldn't release actual content.

We're going to get something that ties into the Yawning Portal book.
It'll be a DM guide on how to handle character deaths in the party and a bunch of new tables for randomizing character creation so you can bring a back-up PC into the party lickety-split.
>we need a UA to tell people to roll new characters
>>
>>52064115
Even better, we literally already got that UA.
>>
>>52064127
Which one?
>>
>In yuan-ti cities, pure bloods are treated fairly but live in an environment where their wants and needs are eclipsed by those of the malisons and abominations.

>They can live incognito among humans
as diplomats, infiltrators, and spies. Because they get to wield power and influence while playing such roles, some pure bloods surround themselves with luxury in their human guises and then become resentful when they have to return home and live under the caste system again.

Seems like selfishness is a good motive for yuan ti PCs.
>>
>>52064127
Exactly. They can't stop rehashing optional DMG rules and previous UA releases for non-content shit.
>>
>>52063721
They got a soul transplant by a Naga and now act as their holy warrior.
>>
>>52064144
http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/UA_Quick_PCs_SFG.PDF
>>
>>52064151
the best motive for yuan-ti PCs is a never-ending hunger for rats and other small vermin
>>
How do we make martials not suck in 5e?
>>
>>52064168
Unearthed Arcana implies this is some magical secret cooked up in a Wizard's lab and lost to time.

Most of these UAs are things some apprentice scribbled on the back of a napkin and threw in the rubbish bin.
>>
File: 1466400259440.jpg (211KB, 629x481px) Image search: [Google]
1466400259440.jpg
211KB, 629x481px
>>52064063
Hrmm. So the vinyl mats are pretty much the only way to go unless you can print your own or something like that?

Thanks, anons. You really helped me out saving money that could be better-spent elsewhere. Have this ridiculous pic for some shit-eating chuckles.
>>
>>52064195
Superiority die.
Features that are useful in social and environmental situations and don't boil down to "advantage on a check literally everyone else in the party can attempt".
Beating every DM with a set of John Carter of Mars and screaming, "LET THEM DO THIS SHIT LIKE GYGAX INTENDED." You know, inject some pulp heroism to counterbalance the wizards solving everything with fireballs and teleportation and transmutation.
>>
>>52062926
two words:
Water
Temple
>>
>>52064195
Anon, don't.

Martials are pretty much good enough as is. Their only weakness right now is the fact that they are not casters, which, well, is only a problem if you make it into a one.

Martials are generally good at their things. Smart casters can be as effective as the dumbest of martials, but in the hands of a good player, a martial doing their thing is generally better than a caster trying to substitute.
>>
>>52064195
They don't, so...
>>
>>52063345
Fuck you Greyhawk is cool
>>
>>52064199
My theory is that mearls spends most of his week getting secretly offended by mras on Twitter, can't even until Sunday night, then at 2am Monday morning submits a hastily typed PDF of the first shitty thing he thought of.

That's if he can even bother.
>>
>>52064237
>martials no longer sucking in fights means they're balanced and just as fun to play as casters
>You uppity sword-niggers, we already freed you from slavery, what do you mean you want to own land and vote now? Isn't being free good enough?
>>
>>52064195
>>52064237
Agreed. Martials have been really strong in every game I've played so far.
To add to this anon's point, spellcasters have always been better so far in 5e when they're assisting martials rather than trying to do what martials do themselves. Which isn't to say spell casters don't get to shine at magical stuff, just the supremacy where casters are better than martials at everything seems over.
Like yes, a spell caster can turn invisible and a rogue can't, but its almost always better for the spell caster to cast invisibility on the rogue.
Theres a few spells you need to watch out for, namely the conjure X spells, but other than that it seems pretty good.
>>
>>52064237
Combat is only a third of the game anon.
>>
>>52064274
brain problems
>>
>>52064293
And skills are generally better than spells, which martials are just fine with.
>>
>>52064274
I like importing the OD&D fighter progression rules. By the time casters are getting a 7th level spells you're picking up a fiefdom or ranger band or something.
>>
>>52064293
There's nothing stopping you from engaging in the other two thirds. You definitely don't require magic to socialise or explore.
>>
>>52064328
Gee, maybe that would mean things if casters also couldn't roll skill checks, use spells to improve them, or skip them entirely.
>>
>>52064354
You're just shit at it compared to everyone else.
>Go ahead and fight in melee, Wizard. You don't need a combat-oriented archetype, Strength, Dex, or armor to fight.
>>
File: 1485238269144.jpg (74KB, 728x588px) Image search: [Google]
1485238269144.jpg
74KB, 728x588px
Advice for aspiring 5e GM needed.

Okay I have most of the rules down well, but I am having a bit of trouble understanding the Backgrounds part of character creation. The SRD has 1, the starter PDF has 3 and the full book has a bunch. Now do the character have to choose one of these backgrounds or are they merely suggested ones? If you don't take them and just make your own then what are the guidelines for which skill and tool proficiencies you get and what gear you get?
>>
>>52064355

Fortunately that's not a problem in any way. If a caster wants to spend his limited daily resources on stuff the party can do already... well shit, the system works as intended.

If the DM hath declared they must plane shift, either they will find an NPC to do it, a portal, or a PC will do it.

There is nothing to be upset about and these problems are wholly theoretical.
>>
>>52064408
No, your situations where this isn't a problem are theoretical.
>>
>>52064394
A player can choose any background they like.

Additionally, they can opt to choose any two Skills and any combination of two languages and tools (so 2 languages, or 2 tools, or 1 tool or 1 language).

They can talk to the DM about customizing the Background Feature and equipment or just use a standard backgrounds feature and equipment
>>
>>52063721
The power of the oath itself altered the Yuan Ti to make them capable of upholding it. Perhaps if they deliberately forsake their oath they will revert to normal.
>>
>>52062481
>fighter
>sucks at twf
what edition are we playing again?
>>
>>52064364
>everyone else
Right, because every caster is always prepared for every situation, at all times, at every level. The game does not start at level 20 and you don't have enough prepared spells to be ready for anything.
>>
>>52064644
>caster has access to every solution a martial can
>plus magic
>can't figure anything out
You're a pretty shit Wizard if you can't game out some fanciful use of your spells to do something unexpected or unintended. I bet you don't even cast Enlarge/Reduce to shrink doors off their hinges.
>>
Allright, 5eg, question time.

Why do half-casters not have cantrips but 1/3 casters do? Should an arcane half-caster (homebrew) have cantrips?
>>
>>52064448
>No, your situations where this isn't a problem are theoretical.

Not at all, everyone who actually plays reports that this shit is deluded theorycrafting, while entitlement mentality types butthurt about nogames craft elaborate situations in which they could theoretically be persecuted by a caster.
>>
I'm a bit confused about the thrown weapon property. Help me understand this.

So a thrown weapon can be used to make a "ranged attack", but it doesn't gain the property of being a ranged weapon even when used for a ranged attack, correct?

So in regards to features that ask for "ranged weapon attacks", it wouldn't be applicable. So Archery fighting style and the Sharpshooter feat wouldn't apply.

But then if you throw it, would you be making a "ranged melee weapon attack"? In this case, would the dueling fighting style apply if you're doing it with no weapon in your off-hand? And for that matter, would Paladins be able to throw smiting daggers?

I figure the RAW would definitely mean that either Sharpshooter or Divine Smite would be applicable, but never both.
>>
>>52064829
Pretty sure correct on all fronts except should clarify that with Paladin's they can't do spell slot smites as that just says melee attacks but can do improved smiting as that states melee weapons.
>>
>>52064829
I'm sure Mike Mearls has ruled on this somewhere, but consider - how bad could it be if the answer was yes?

How epic could it be if you let the players throw their blazing hot magic god sword which cut the head clean off the dragon?
>>
>>52064829
That depends on how you want to parse "when you make a melee weapon attack".

Is it an attack with a melee-classed weapon, or an attack with a weapon against a creature within 5 feet of you (10 with Reach)?

It doesn't break anything if you say Smites and Dueling apply to thrown weapons.
>>
I'm playing a tank wizard with a 1 level dip in fighter for armor. What would be good spell selections? I got the sword coast cantrips, shield, absorb elements, blur, and mirror image. Most everything else I'm grabbing so far is rituals. Any other spells I should consider?
>>
>>52064789
Half-casters don't get cantrips, because they are competent with weapons, the best example of this is preSCAG EKs. I feel an arcane half-caster shouldn't have cantrips unless they are of the shillelagh variety.
>>
>>52064879
Divine Smite uses the same wording for melee weapon attacks that Sharpshooter uses for ranged weapon attacks.

>>52064886
I wasn't honestly thinking of using it or anything and I apply house rules enough that I'd pick whatever was convenient, but I really wanted to know what was technically correct. I've been pretty curious about this.
>>
>>52064829
"Ranged weapon attack" = "ranged attack with a weapon." If something NEEDS a ranged weapon it will say so. Throwing a dagger is both an attack with a melee weapon and a ranged weapon attack, but not a melee weapon attack.
>>
>>52064759

>caster has access to every solution a martial can

Wizards, the ones people rage about the most, require the worst ability score and have pretty terrible skills other than Investigation, requiring anything remotely functional to come off race and backgrounds, while even the lowly fighter has the two everyone needs (Acrobatics or Athletics plus Perception), freeing their background and race skills.
>>
File: 904657.jpg (55KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
904657.jpg
55KB, 600x800px
First time player here. l wanna make a Kenshiro/Shin, Jonathan/Dio type of relationship for my background. Except l want to be Shin/Dio.
How do l accomplish this without ruining the game for my group?
Also l want him to have a Vega-like style. What class is best for this? Monk? Rogue?
>>
>>52064928
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/11/03/smite-melee-attack-with-weapon/
>>
>>52064955
But that's Balrog.
>>
>>52064955
>First time player here. l wanna make a Kenshiro/Shin, Jonathan/Dio type of relationship for my background. Except l want to be Shin/Dio.
ask your dm about it
>How do l accomplish this without ruining the game for my group?
just don't be that guy. why do you think this would ruin things for your group?
>Also l want him to have a Vega-like style. What class is best for this? Monk? Rogue?
monk probably.
>>
>>52064886
>Divine Smite doesn't occur until your damage check
>Paladin doesn't throw a holy fire javelin
>Paladin throws a "regular" javelin which explodes on impact
I'm allowing this in all my games.
>>
>>52064829
It seems that you're right. And yes, it appears 100% intentional that melee dudes have recourse with throwing weapons.
>>
I was reading the Warlock UA and think the new invocations are all pretty awesome, the Patron specific weapon in particular are really cool. Would anyone be interested in seeing art/renders of them?
>>
>>52064989
>most maneuvers don't occur until your damage check
>Fighter throws a javelin like anyone else
>it hits
>suddenly the missile is imbued with incredible force and hurls a guy backwards 15 feet without penetrating even further
honestly just give martials magical spells at this point
>>
>>52062926
D&D is the wrong game to play if you don't like progressing past mundane enemies into magical ones. Or just make new zombies that have magical fear auras and horrific diseases in their bites and attack in hordes and get pack tactics advantage and have features you "borrowed" from left 4 dead
>>
>>52064923
But EK:s and AT:s DO get cantrips. That's the thing that bothers me.

Of all the casters, only paladins and rangers are denied cantrips. Which is just weird to me.

Anyway... The main reason I'm asking this is because I made a photoshop which would be perfect for my class, but it has literally a green flaming blade because of my hue changes, so it would just feel wrong
>>
>>52064955
also l don't really care about being evil, just maybe selfish or greedy. This may even be part of my character's arc, where he learns to care about others.

>>52064978
pls don't
>>
>>52064974
http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/SA-Compendium.pdf

Page 10, second answer from the bottom on the left.
>>
>>52065008
>nobody has ever used projectile weaponry to cause someone to lose ground or stumble backwards without FOUL SORCERY
>>
>>52064759
Ok, lets run through a scenario here. The party, level 5, wants to get in to a keep to acquire something important, lets say a map, from the quarters of an important enemy, and need to try and keep things subtle if possible. Now, if the wizard wants to infiltrate the keep, he is going to need 1, a way over the wall, 2, a way to keep himself hidden from guards, 3, a way to try to deal with being discovered by the guards in a way that doesn't involve a massacre, 4, a way to get through potentially several locked doors (or potentially windows) and at least one chest, 5, a way to get out, and 6, a way to defend himself if the shit hits the fan. Assuming he even has all that in his spellbook, he's going to need 8 hours to prepare, and hope the party doesn't get discovered by a patrol or sentry, all of his prepared spells, and probably most of his spell slots for the entire day, or the thief could scale the wall right now, use his skills to sneak through the place and pass himself off as a guard, and pick any locks he might encounter. Yeah, the wizard might be able to do it, but it takes a day of preparation and might make him useless for anything else for the next 24 hours. Factor in that the thief would be more able to pass for a petty criminal and potentially break himself out if captured, and that if the shit hits the fan and a fight breaks out not only is the thief already operating at his maximum combat capacity (unlike the wizard, who would have had to prepare almost lots of utility spells), but if something bad does go down the wizard might be better suited to explosion duty. The thief is just the better option, he can get it done right now, with a potentially greater chance of success, and its probably a less disastrous turn of events if he somehow fails and gets caught. Not to mention the discussion was about "casters" and a cleric or sorcerer would be shit out of luck in this situation anyway. Magic is generally a poor substitute for skill.
>>
>>52064974
>>52065023
RIP holy fire javelin
>>
>>52065040
damn good post
>>
>>52065037
You don't understand. The Fighter throws a javelin the same way at two different targets and hits them both. He opts, after both hits have been made, for ONE of them to be a Pushing Attack. Suddenly that javelin forces its target back, even though it was thrown no differently from the first and the Fighter has no contact with it.

This is clearly some wuxia shit.
>>
File: 0 drow fung.png (128KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
0 drow fung.png
128KB, 256x256px
>>52062926
>I just wish the campaign could keep going as it is with the kinds of enemies they face (lots of zombies and stuff) but just have those enemies be more scary again.

Well I mean, sooner or later I would think even the slowest learners would get used to fighting unarmed, naked, stupid people right?

But as far as zombies are concerned, there are ghouls, ghasts, Sons/Spawn of Kyuss, and of course spore servants.
>>
>>52064979
>just don't be that guy. why do you think this would ruin things for your group?
surely l won't just act like an asshole, but as l said here >>52065019 l still want to have bad traits l may work out along the campaign. l won't ruin things for my group, but another inexperienced player trying to replicate Shin or Dio easly could.
>>
>>52065093
>You don't understand.

Wrong, you don't understand.

> The Fighter throws a javelin the same way at two different targets and hits them both.

Wrong.

> even though it was thrown no differently from the first

Wrong.

Are you pretending to be retarded, or are you seriously this bad at RPGs?
>>
>>52062498

The latter just sounds like a more subtle furfag. The real advanced furries are like toupees, you think we're bad at it because you don't notice the good ones.

No one I know would ever suspect.
>>
File: pushingattack.png (41KB, 350x124px) Image search: [Google]
pushingattack.png
41KB, 350x124px
>>52065112
Most maneuvers can be declared after a hit is confirmed. And did you really need to space out your being a dumbass so much?
>>
>>52065134
>No one I know would ever suspect
Congratulations Justin, you played yourself.
>>
>>52065040
Then of course there are scenarios involving the spotting, and disarming, of traps, which most casters will struggle with unless they plan on force marching skeletons down every hallway, which isn't even an option at low levels. Or any social situation that occurred without the opportunity to prepare. Either a caster has to walk around all day with relevant spells prepared, or he has to fall back on charisma and a skill check, in which case wizards and clerics are likely no better, or potentially worse than, a fighter since a fighter can easily pick up persuasion from a background while wizards are likely to use their background to pick up something more important (lots of sailors become wizards, funny that), and likely much worse than a rogue, since expertise in social related skills is an option for them, sorcerer's don't have time for social spells unless its their thing and have to rely on natural charisma, (in which case, they choose to underperform in combat, which is fine, but the argument is about whether you can perform in all three areas of the game), or you are a bard and are pretty much designed for specifically this exact thing and should be able to handle it without spells anyway.
>>
>>52065144
>Most maneuvers can be declared after a hit is confirmed.

Is pretending to be stupid an art form? Combat has always been abstract in D&D since 1e, hit points have always been abstract, attack rolls have always been abstract, yet a crazily abstract subclass blows your mind?

You don't seem to get D&D, and that's fine, but keep in mind that's a deficiency with you and being unable to comprehend abstractions in RPGs, not with the subclass. Don't worry, eventually you'll get a hang of this whole "role playing game" thing.
>>
Which cantrip works best with Potent Spellcasting feature of the arcana cleric?

And if it's between GFB and BB, which one? Can only pick one
>>
>>52063630
Slow affect 6 creatures
>>
>>52065248

BB if you are gonna get Spell Sniper, probably GFB if not.

There are a shitload of fire resistant foes that GFB sucks against, and there are a shitload of projectile using foes that BB sucks against.

Overall I prefer BB though.
>>
>>52065040
1) the Wizard is not incapable of climbing a wall
2) the Wizard is not incapable of sneaking by unseen
3) the Wizard is not incapable of incapacitating or fleeing from guards in a way that only the Rogue is
4) the Wizard is not incapable of picking locks or otherwise disabling them
5) the Wizard is not incapable of leaving in a way that the Rogue isn't
6) this is just 3 all over again

You have devised some keep stealth test which is sprung on the party unexpectedly and plops them right at the foot of the surrounding woods with no time to prepare and hinges entirely on the expertise of one party member while everyone else jacks off and watches John make a series of Athletics, Stealth, and Thieves' Tool checks.

There's nothing to suggest that Wizards should have worse Strength than Rogues, so their climbing skill can be equal, even without spells. There's nothing to suggest that a Wizard's Dex should be that much lower than a Rogue's, so at worst he's a whopping two skill points behind. There's nothing stopping a Wizard from having Thieves' Tool proficiencies or any number of other means of getting around locked objects (teleportation, Reduce, Mage Handing keys through bars, familiars manipulating shit on the other side of an impassable barrier, Knock, etc.)

If anything, the Wizard is better equipped for this stealth mission, even if he hasn't prepared his spells just for the situation. Any decent Wizard prepares for the unexpected and doesn't load themselves down solely with buff spells or damage spells, and is also capable of using those spells in novel ways. The Wizard could be dropping Acid Splash on hinges or lock mechanisms to get through doors. He can turn invisible, fly, scout with his familiar, blow guards off the walls, divine the exact location of the map he's looking for, shield himself with illusions, and any number of other magical tricks that don't require pre-planning, ON TOP of or in place of doing the same shit the Rogue would.
>>
OK, so thrown weapons aren't ranged weapons, both RAW and according to Sage advice.

But would it really break anything to houserule them as such? Are there any feats or abilities that would be more broken with thrown daggers than they would with, for example, a longbow?

I'm thinking of houseruling the following: Thrown weapons may be drawn as though they were ammunition, and count as ranged weapons when thrown.
>>
>>52062704
It's fine, it's just that certain classes need more suitable compatibilityand the feat should be less shit. Though compulsory feats really shouldn't be a thing.

>>52064557
Well, it's maybe not bad at it level 1-4 unless you're a variant human in which case PAM is better.
>>
>>52065277

Tough choice. Green Flame blade sacrifices that extra 1d8 by letting you add your WIS mod twice, but that booming thing is pretty choice.

In my experience, most DM's find moving characters from the front lines a lot to be a hassle, and zerg rush is a thing, so I say GFB.

BB if you were a rogue tho, definitely
>>
>>52065302
In fact, all the Rogue has going for him is bonus action Dash to run the fuck away or between cover and two Expertise skills. God forbid he encounter a magical ward, though. He'd apparently never pass the Arcana check by your logic, or he'd trigger some other magical Alarm and get his ass got, or he'd he wandering blind in the keep for so long because he can't isolate the location of the map.

And okay, let's say you're Geoff D. Guard and you're making your rounds and come across some fucking guy you've never seen before standing atop the walls or in a room you thought was locked. Who is he?

Oh, shit, it's a guy in stereotypical Rogue get-up. Darkened leather armors, hood, cape, light stabby weapons (probably two of them), a bunch of rope, lockpicks, bag of caltrops. Shit, he's obviously up to no good; do not engage solo, sound the alarm ASAP.

But what about this other guy? It's just some fucker in a robe. Is it one of the nobles out for a midnight jaunt in his jimjams? Ha ha, he kind of looks like a Wizard, but we all know Wizards don't do solo infiltration missions, that's ridiculous, adventuring parties and thieves' gangs would ALWAYS send a Rogue to do this job. Oh! It's the Sergeant. That, or someone who magically stole his face, weight, size, etc., which is clearly impossible. Carry on, sir.
>>
>>52065185
And then of course there are scenarios of wilderness survival. If the party has become stranded in or is moving through a hostile environment, not only is there the issue of pathfinding and foraging, but it may also be necessary to create better shelter than the party typically uses or to find ways to hide the camp from enemy scouts or predators, both intelligent and animalistic A wizard can create a shelter with tiny hut, although it is not particularly subtle if that is an issue (providing he has the spell in his book and is a high enough level), but he can't do the party any favours for food, unless you are playing a rather atypical survivalist wizard with a good survival skill check. A cleric or paladin can both provide food, provided they have create food and water prepared (which of course, they will tomorrow since they are in the wilderness, but were they prepared today? Its not a solution if this wasn't a planned turn of events), but will have to rely on skill checks to provide any kind of shelter if something other than camping out on open ground is needed (and it may well be), the caster best in this situation is going to be a druid, since he has both spells in his spell list for this kind of situation, as well as the skill checks needed to address the situation if he did not prepare the required spells (which he likely may not have. stuff like plant growth may be useful for creating an area of terrain which hides the party at a distance and makes camp safer, but spells like this are not always prepared as they tend to be less useful in combat), in which case, he is of course likely no better at solving the problems the party currently faces than a ranger. Again, skill checks from someone with the required know how serves the party as well as a spell can, with the added benefit of not needing preparation or eating in to combat/social ability.
>>
>>52065357
Thrown weapons are strictly inferior to ranged weapons, so it won't break anything.
>>
>>52065416
>scenarios of wilderness survival
Now you're just reaching. This never happens to begin with.
>>
>>52063540
You should really consider counterspell, unless you guys have two PC with it already.
>>
>>52063185
That sounds pretty alright.
>>
>>52065416
Skill check, skill check, skill check, skill check, skill check. Why do you keep up with this line of argument when casters can make skill checks like everyone else? The set of things a martial can do out of combat is contained entirely within the set of things a caster can do out of combat.
>>
>>52065466
There's nothing wrong with three Counterspells.
>>
>>52065277

Do you have characters that can force movement? Bards, Battlemasters, w/e?

If so, BB all the way
>>
>>52062588
>>52062698
It's good senpai
>>
>>52065093

And since the enemies are robots, they react in the exact same way and there's no way one enemy stumbles at the hit while the other stands his ground.

Did it hurt? When your mom squeezed you out onto the floor at a Korn concert?
>>
>>52062698
>Addionally once per day you can as an action cure yourself of one level of exhaustion.

If it's not "use once per long rest" you never need to sleep
>>
>>52065185
>>52065040
Wizard finds a guard when he's not at the site. Uses suggestion: 'Give me all your gear so I can do your shift and go rest instead.'
Uses disguise self to make themself look exactly like the person. It's unlikely anyone will see through the disguise since all they've changed is things like facial features.
They just need to take the item when people have their backs turned, walk out with it and just fly out or something. Knock on the chest.

At minimum all they've used is two level 2 spells and A level one spell. If they fail suggestion, they can try it a couple more times, or they can use portent to gaurantee they'll fail that.

Not so entirely sure why you should be fighting things on the same day as a big robbery, anyway.

And, of course, the wizard can still make climb, persuasion, etc checks even if their rolls aren't a little bit higher.

Heck, there's a billion and other ways of doing it, too. Go invisible. There's the 'silence' spell. Some other casters have pass without trace which is a fucking +10 to stealth checks and no tracks left for anybody with you.

A wizard could just send a polymorphed familiar in to grab it, polymorphed into a gnome or something stupid. A warlock can send in an invisible, flying imp to try it.

Better yet, if you're familiar with the object you can use 'locate object'.

Detect magic (A ritual) can keep you from tripping magical alarms. Or you can set magical alarms yourself. Roguey can't just see magical alarms.
>>
What's the deal with loud RPers with dice-rolling compulsions.
>>
Is Circle of Twilight worthwhile, even without multiclassing? I like the idea behind Harvest's Scythe, but Nuclear Druid is a bit too strong for me since I like my DM.
>>
>>52063291
Have you considered you might just be misjudging or not understanding the character archetype? Not every character wants oodles of power and glory.

Try the whole "telling the saga" thing. Have it go down as a famous tale which outlives men, countries, even the name of the one who told the tale. Long past the time that all of them have passed from memory, parents still sit by the bedside and tell their children - long ago, in an age of heroes....
>>
File: Glass Traps v01.png (89KB, 792x467px) Image search: [Google]
Glass Traps v01.png
89KB, 792x467px
Cooked up a couple rules based on some recent stuff my players have been up to. Looking for feedback.
>>
>>52065416
>Druid appears
>Goodberry, create water
>Suddenly survival is no longer a problem
You don't need to be prepared for the day because you can last more than a day without food/water and if you're getting hungry or thirsty you just prepare it after a night.

Wizards themselves don't have a lot of ways of dealing with this stuff but they honestly don't need to.

Also the wizard's hut stops anything from even attacking you.
>>
>>52065476
>argues that casters and martials can both solve situations with skillchecks
>therefore casters are stronger
Ebin. If a situation can be solved with a skill check, then the class most likely to have proficiency and a bonus to the relevant stat is best suited to it.
>>
>>52064274

I lef'd
>>
>>52065612
To be fair, pocket glass is crazy OP for something essentially free. It should probably require surprise to use.
>>
>>52065665
>martials can solve situations with skill checks and item usage
>casters can solve situations with skill checks, item use, more busted class features, and spells
>>
>>52063291
Goals are supremely overrated as a PC thing. I hate the idea that personal power needs to be translated into some universal metric of social awesomeness. Most people just want to survive in comfort with friends.

>It makes me feel like a shit GM

Not every PC needs to be an ambitious visionary leader of men.
>>
What's the best familiar for a wizard to get so that you can abuse the familiar help action to gain advantage every time I cast booming blade?
>>
>>52065747
>Not every PC needs to be an ambitious visionary leader of men.

The worse player at my table exactly this guy. He uses this as a "technical excuse" to play as nothing but a funless joyless munchkin powergamer, and if you dare criticise him or his style of play, you can see his eyes going wide with autistic rage of "HOW DARE IMPLY THIS IS NOT PATRICIAN ROLE PLAYING! IT'S WHAT MY CHARACTER WOULD DO"

But truth is, he's nothing more than a turd somebody true polymorphed into a level 9 Variant Human Wizard.
>>
>>52065747
>Most people just want to survive in comfort with friends
Those people shouldn't be PCs then, at least not for very long. "Enough gold" is actually a fairly small number if you just want to buy a tavern and live out the rest of your days in relative comfort.
>>
>>52065778

A dildo so you can go fuck yourself with

But actually, an Owl. Advantage on perception checks, fly speed of 60, and the Fly By property
>>
>>52063150
If you want combat to go faster you can always use 13th Age's escalation die.
>>
>>52065731

>aggressively and obstinately avoid all options that would expand your utility outside of combat at all costs
>still wind up with a class that gives you two highly useful skills so you have room for whatever else you need via backgrounds

The system works. Hell, even totem barbarians couple Athletics + Perception with Commune with Nature.
>>
>>52065840
>designers don't give utility to these classes
>DURRR THE SYSTEM WORKS
This wasn't a problem in 4E. The "martial" classes were just as capable of teleporting or smashing down walls as the ones that used magic to do it.
>>
>>52065885

Wait, why are rogues and monks being considered non-martials for this discussion?
>>
>>52065797
>Those people shouldn't be PCs then, at least not for very long.

Cool opinions bro.

>"Enough gold" is actually a fairly small number if you just want to buy a tavern and live out the rest of your days in relative comfort.

To provide for yourself, your spouse, and 2 kids at a comfortable lifestyle for 60 years costs 175,200 gp, assuming no other costs come up whatsoever. That also assumes that your "thing" isn't hanging out with the other PCs.
>>
>>52065913
Because instead of actually playing 5e, they sit in here moving goalposts all day.
>>
>>52065913
They're not. "Runs farther than most people" doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot in terms of utility.

A Rogue has slightly better skill usage and Monks can jump off short cliffs without dying and eventually run straight up them, but this barely getting even a single rung up the utility ladder from the rest of the martials.
>>
>>52065885

>designers don't give utility to these classes

But they do. AGGRESSIVELY avoiding utility is your call, and something you do so that you can envision yourself as persecuted and disadvantaged.

Just because you don't LIKE EKs and ATs doesn't mean the option isn't there. Like it or not, a big part of magic has always been a great deal of utility, and that's fine. The system works.

>The "martial" classes were just as capable of teleporting or smashing down walls as the ones that used magic to do it.

Ritual caster is largely unchanged, while fighters and rogues actually do have the feats for it nowadays.
>>
>>52065927
>175,200 gp, assuming no other costs come up whatsoever
This is also assuming you do no work at all for the rest of your years when even a stupid side hobby can provide income if you live close enough to idiots with loose wallets (e.g. PCs)
>>
>>52065953
>slightly better skill usage
>A rogue

I'm sorry, what? You mean what, like, slightly better than a lore bard?
>>
>>52065960
>caster classes don't need to pick a specific archetype for the vast majority of their utility
>martials do
>this utility is both peanuts and "just be a shitty caster"
>>
>>52065927
>ignoring the "buy a tavern" part
k'man
>>
>>52065960

I'm still confused at this idea that magic having a significant impact in the world is some sort of detraction from a High-Fantasy setting.

As if magic swords and magic knives and boots weren't intended to be a significant part of the martial build... (There sure as shit aren't there fifty Artifact magic swords and tridents and warhammers for the Bard's benefit, I grantee you that)
>>
>>52065972

"Wow, I can't wait to retire from my easy life of fast money so that I can work forever" seems to be of questionable logic to a PC motivated by comfort.
>>
>>52066040
There aren't magic swords and tridents for the benefit of bards, but they do have their harps, which are arguably the best magic items in the system.
>>
>>52066056

You'd have to argue pretty hard.
>>
>>52066007

>shitty archetype

Wow, you have a persecution complex *AND* bad taste? Grats.
>>
>>52066054
>i'm going to do literally nothing that can produce any worth for all my time, not even a single hobby nor will my wife or any of my children
Also
>easy life of fast money
Money may come fast but if the DM is doing his job it will not come easy.
>>
>>52066054

I'm not saying that isn't easy, and that a great many percentage of players dont do that

But being a PC is about being the other half
>>
>>52066081
ATs are mage hand bots and EKs blow all their slots on tanking. They get to choose one or two utility spells over their lifetimes and it's not enough to be useful in more than a handful of situations. Even less versatility than Sorcerers.

Examinations on EKs being good exist in some fantasy vacuum where you're level 13-14 and know a third circle spell, always picked the right cross-school spells for whatever situation you're in, and are always swimming in slots. That, or they're based entirely on "how well does this class do Fighter things", the answer to which is "very well". But using magic to supplement your Fighting by taking less damage at every turn isn't being a caster or bursting with utility. You're not gonna Shield yourself through that court case or Absorb Elements the collapsing cathedral.
>>
>>52066017
"well shit, I better retire from my easy job of borderline effortless wealth so that I can work forever and enjoy the extreme stress filled existence of an entrepreneur, I sure hope my skills at murder translate into the business instincts to run a pub, and I hope the horrendous legions of aliens, evil mutants, insane cultists, Draculas, cannibal clowns, things that disguise themselves as human and eat people, and gargantuan superpredators that are essentially unstoppable at night don't destroy the world or devastate the land I happen to occupy while I'm gone"
>>
>>52066188
That's why you direct all the adventurers patronizing your inn to fight the insane, gargantuan superpredator Dracula cult-mutants.
>>
>>52066188
>the extreme stress filled existence of an entrepreneur

Well. How stressful is it really?

You're already loaded, and if a brawl breaks out, you're bretty bad ass
>>
File: Glass Traps v02.png (56KB, 792x467px) Image search: [Google]
Glass Traps v02.png
56KB, 792x467px
>>52065676
For the pocket glass I don't know the middle ground between "end of the targets next turn" and "1 minute." but I just thought of one.

The new wording is, "until the creature uses its action to remove the glass".
>>
>>52066082
>Money may come fast but if the DM is doing his job it will not come easy.

Compared to virtually any occupation that you can choose to engage in (rich nobleperson who gets money shoveled at them a la the Roman equites notwithstanding) its usually very easy.
>>
>>52066236
>its usually very easy
Nearly getting murdered in the dank depths of terror and misery fighting vile, mind raping creatures for a couple hundred pieces of gold and some nice paintings does not qualify as easy.
>>
> Running Spelljammer
> About to have Eldrazi creatures start appearing but thinking of having them lead by Eldrazi Pillar Men, but have them all look like a mix between Eldrazis and Gen Dai (Like Durge)

Which would be more intimidating for PCs to tackle? Having the Eldrazi basically acting like the Zerg or Tyranids that hope from world to world and fucking shit up?
>>
>>52066166

If you want to be able to hold the enemy back (ie what is probably wrongfully perceived as the fighter thing), you will probably be an EK. Gust of Wind is great, especially for a polearm guy.

>You're not gonna Shield yourself through that court case

If you're getting at divination spells, fine. If you're getting at charm magic, that's really retarded.

>cathedral

Someone in the party is gonna have Mending. If no absolutely one else, probably the EK will have it. Two people having Mending does not improve this.
>>
>>52066204
>That's why you direct all the adventurers

That alone involves a big leap of faith.
>>
>>52066208
>How stressful is it really?

Pretty goddamn stressful even for well adjusted people who aren't used to the ease of killing and looting, I'd guess.

>and if a brawl breaks out, you're bretty bad ass

The implication is that the adventurer is going to retire pretty quickly to go become an entrepreneur, so he's probably not very badass at all, especially with loss of action economy.
>>
>>52066382

But it only makes sense that some adventurers do retire early.

Just not yours. I mean, there's a reason why not every cleric in the world makes it to an Archbishop capable of casting level 6 spells.
>>
>>52066253
You're probably getting a lot more than 100 gp from fighting "vile, mind raping creatures," and as far as eldritch anthropophagi are concerned, they're mostly gonna eat townsfolk, not adventurers.
>>
>>52066278
>Spelljammer
>Zerg or Tyranids

Check out Witchlight Marauders, the original Eldrazi of SJ.
>>
>>52066414

>but what if I want to play with my humble character

Become a philanthropist. Roleplay with your group, and bond with people that have most ambitious goals, and pledge to aid them out of friendship. Go nuts

This game is supposed to use your imagination after all.
>>
>>52066414

>But it only makes sense that some adventurers do retire early.

Sure, especially if they're the sole survivor.

> I mean, there's a reason why not every cleric in the world makes it to an Archbishop capable of casting level 6 spells.

I am pretty sure NPCs are assigned miracles primarily at the whims of gods, not how many level appropriate encounters they've mulched. I don't go for the idea that adventurers are some Paizoesque vast, socially acknowledged phenomenon where they have a Saving the World Quarterly newsletter and so forth.
>>
>>52066382
>The implication is that the adventurer is going to retire pretty quickly to go become an entrepreneur, so he's probably not very badass at all,
Lets make some assumptions here. Its gonna cost ya 10k gold to make your dream inn/tavern. Through straight adventuring there is no way to get that without getting to level 5 at least by the random loot gen tables. By level 5 you're a local hero and more than capable of clearing out an entire bar's worth of commoners. If you just want a quick 100 gp to start yourself off then yeah, you're gonna get smacked around a bit.
>>52066422
Yeah, you'll get 300 pieces of gold because you have to split the loot, not all of which is riches but magic items meant to get you more gold which you'll have a hell of a time trying to sell later on.
>>
>>52066470

That is actually entirely the thing for which things like Factions are for

Except for the Zentharim. They really do go out of their way to keep power over bureaucracy
>>
>>52066438
Thanks I might find a way to include them, most likely use the planetary sized ones as plot hooks.

Though I might still use Eldrazis since it's more easier for my players since they're huge MtG fans.

Though I might change some things and make my own Eldrazi Titan.

Question is, what motif would be interesting?

Since last I check, each Titan basically represented one thing for the multiverse in relation to what they do to keep the multiverse from becoming stale and decaying/overcrowding.

Ulamog: Matter
Kozilek: Physical Law
Emrakul: Life/Souls

Maybe I should do 1 more arcane and 1 for divine magic?
>>
>>52066486
>and more than capable of clearing out an entire bar's worth of commoners.

Sure, but something as trivial as a small raiding group of orcs means you're utterly fucked.
>>
>>52066566
Well the hope is that you combined with other small time adventurers inns naturally attract and the local guard could handle them.
>>
>>52066589

>Not playing an Innkeep simulator
>Not rolling attack rolls to sneak attack a bag of onions
>Not casting fire bolt to crépe suzzete a lovely dish for the mayor
>Not gaining xp from clearing out the basement from cranium rats

Get on my level you fucking scrubs
>>
>>52066278
Definitely Pillar Men style vanguards
>>
>>52066589
Sure, but the anthropophagocentric world of D&D is not one in which it is even 0.1% a no brainer to retire if you want a life of comfort. PCs require no sense of ambition to continue adventuring, they just require whatever class or presumably background related motive that got them involved in the first place.

All this assumes that the campaign is nothing like any of the printed 5e modules or other stop the BBEG scenarios that are commonplace, as generally you have no choice.
>>
>>52066640
>the basement from cranium rats
>THE
Cranium rats should not be a common occurrence man. Giant rats are normal and are to be put in everybody's thorsday stew but cranium rats means something funky is going on underground.
>>
>>52066664

>Not having an entrance to the underdark on your cellar

How the fuck are you supposed to go picking fresh myconids then? They didn't put six goddamned cows in Volo's Guide To Monsters so that I couldn't have cheese pizza
>>
>>52066664

"Mind flayers want to eat people" is also called Tuesday.
>>
Does the monks unarmoured defense stack with a druids wildshape?
>>
>>52066747
You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so.
>>
>>52066747

depends. Most beasts have something called "Natural Armor", i.e. Hide and such.

Unarmoured defense would not stack in such situations

I would however allow you to have 10 + Wis + Animals dexterity
>>
>>52066770
Kung Fu Panda is real
>>
File: fire giant female.jpg (203KB, 605x820px) Image search: [Google]
fire giant female.jpg
203KB, 605x820px
Would a giant with a reach weapon have a 15ft reach or a 20ft reach?
>>
I am new to multiclassing and I still don't quite have a good grasp on it.

I wanted to be a level 5 sorcerer and a level 2 warlock.

How does this effect my amount of spell slots? According to the mutliclass spell chart table I would have:

level 1 spells:4
Level 2 spells:3
Level 3 spells: 3
Level 4 spells: 1

am I reading that correctly? I also hear warlock is a pretty good class to mutliclass another caster with. Why is that? Is it just because of eldritch blast invoccations?

Basically, my character is going to be a storm sorcerer influenced by a great old one. I figured the warlock class would go well him.
>>
>>52066747
From the book:
>Your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of the beast, but you retain your alignment, personality, and Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. You also retain all o f your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those o f the creature. If the creature has the same proficiency as you and the bonus in its stat block is higher than yours, use the creature’s bonus instead of yours. If the creature has any legendary or lair actions, you can't use them.
So, no. You keep your alignment and mental stats plus skill and save proficiencies, everything else is replaced by the beast's stats.
>>
>>52066640

>Not having Gordon Ramsay come to evaluate your inn
>Not crying in tears as he throws your Gyro's Feast in the bin and replaces all your delicious food with goodberries

I mean, what the hell are you people playing d&d for?
>>
>>52066815

You keep all your class stuff, though.
>>
>>52066812
Warlock spells don't work like regular spells, so you have your l5 sorc slots as well as l2 pact magic slots
Ignore the table, read your class tables
>>
>>52066811
>Reach
>This weapon adds 5 feet to your reach when you wield it
RTFM
T
F
M
>>
>>52066838
>what the hell are you people playing d&d for?

So I can be someone's who's not mocked and laughed at.
>>
>>52066815

nah, you keep everything the creature is capable of having / reproducing

For example, if you play a Ghostwise Halfling druid, you can still comunicate telepathically while wild shaped. Feats and other stuff also still apply, which make some like Mobile invaluable to a moonion
>>
>>52066866

ah I see. thanks.
>>
>>52066879

It's called pathos anon. Jesus Christ
>>
Is wild magic sorcerer actually complete aids and worthless? I wanted to try it but it seems really fucking dumb..

You turn into a potted fucking plant? what?
>>
>>52066850
Huh, you're right. Wonder why they shoved em so much further down the other useful stats.

I guess it's doable. Not like it'd give much of a bonus since apparently 5E designers hate cats and even panthers have mediocre dexterity.
>>
>>52064996
So no interest?
>>
>>52066914
Depends on how good you are I guess.
>>
>>52066910
It's called joking anon. Jesus Christ :^)
>>
>cranium rats in the basement
>poor destitute people keep selling their soul to become warlocks of the fiend and feebleminding people passing by beneath the overpass
>black puddings keep crawling up the toilet
>try to use outhouse, local otyugh keeps yelling "FEED ME SEYMOUR" up at me while trying to shit
>sit down at a table, its a mimic
>try to leave, inn has been replaced by a mimic
>run to a town guard, he's a doppelganger
>buy a cool magic sword so I can become an adventurer, its just an animated sword that starts stabbing me
>go to local church to get healed
>its actually a front for death clerics, get sacrificed

Such is life in D&Dstan
>>
>>52066640
Uh. I almost wanted to roll a Sanji character now. At the very least a Hannibal rogue (maybe long death monk? With just a level of revised ranger for survival and favored enemy)
>>
>>52065359
How is it not bad? All dual wielding does is add 3.5 damage at the expense of your bonus action. I find it pretty hard to say that's better than +2 AC. Or just using a 2 hander, which is an extra 2.5 damage or so per attack. The rogue appreciates an extra chance to get a sneak attack off but that's about all it's good for.
>>
>>52066957

Hey, Black Pudding on the Toilet was my college nickname.

>>52066948

I-I caught it. I was trying to play off it.
>b-baka
>>
>>52066911
Yeah wild magic really sucks ass. It's not even really fun
>>
>>52066911
There's a chance that it is, but there's also a chance that it isn't. You might turn into a plant, but you might also recover all of your sorcery points.
It's all about chaos and control. You endure the former with your surges (and hopefully things don't go too awry), but you get the latter in the form of on-demand advantage with Tides of chaos.
>>
>>52066911
>You turn into a potted fucking plant? what?
Oh come on that's pretty hilarious.
>>
So, does Eldritch Blast make meleeing as a Warlock completely pointless unless you're trapped in a closet with an enemy? Even if you have Pact of the Blade and throw a bunch of Invocations on it, Eldritch Blast without Invocations still seems superior. Even the Hexblade archetype doesn't make meleeing seem any more appealing (since notHex works with Eldritch Blast) and one of its own Invocations doesn't even work with one of its features.

I've seen this in other games when a developer really doesn't want a class to be good at everything, they accidentally make them bad at everything. Why lure players into playing a melee Warlock if it's all in vain?
>>
>>52067127

It is pretty sad when you can get just about 80% of the Warlock experience by throwing a Magic Initiate
>>
>>52067127
>So, does Eldritch Blast make meleeing as a Warlock completely pointless
Yes.
>Why lure players into playing a melee Warlock if it's all in vain?
Because Glaivelocks were a thing in past editions and people want to do the old shit even though it sucked.
>>
Okay beta build with pictures, here we go.

Before ripping it to shreds, I would like to note that this class has currently existed for under 24 hours. Some features are probably still broken due to oversight, and archetypes probably aren't balanced at all.

Now, go ahead and fuck it up.

A question though, if I may:

In the case that you would play one (saying you wouldn't play is a non-answer here), what color would you play?
>>
File: Mace of Dispater.png (505KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Mace of Dispater.png
505KB, 960x540px
>>52066932
I'm not great but I'm not terrible either. Here's the Mace of Dispater. I'm still working on it so it's rough and kind of low res but whatever. Hope you all like it.
>>
>>52067127
I mean if you use up a invocation you can take Cursebringer or something and get a pretty potent smite that will scale with you?

but yea not really much reason save for disadvantage at 5ft. Which could be rectified with close quarters shooter or xbow expert
>>
>>52067032
Had a player roll up one once. Ended up triggering fog cloud. During an encounter against creatures with blindsight.
Fun times. For me anyway.
>>
>>52064996
I'd kinda like to see what Claw of Acamar would look like.

That chain must be long as balls. Like some weird combination of a whip and a flail.
>>
>>52067208
What happened?
>>
>>52067166
>what color would you play
Red since it's my favorite color.
>>
>>52067262
It was a party of 2nd-level spellcasters going up against two animated armors, and suddenly losing sight.
>>
>>52066873
Fuck you, I've read the rule but that's clearly for medium and small weapons and I figured it's because they're double the size of non-reach weapons

If anyone has anything actually useful like an MM large / huge creature with a reach weapon please point it out and say "RTFM"
>>
So does tranquility monk compare with other monks at all? It doesn't have much going for it aside from a kick-ass level 17 ability.
>>
>>52066987
I shouldn't have to do the calculations, but damage order is:

Rapier, duelling < Greatsword, GWF < Dual shortswords, TWF < Things that use feats.

Two shortswords are 2d6+2xMOD compared to greatsword which is 2d6(Average 8.33 instead of 7)+1xMOD
>>
>>52067295
Pretty sure it's just a 5 foot increase. Though a bugbear, primeval no-magic ranger, who has enlarge casted on him and took the lunging attack maneuver can do some bullshit stuff.
>>
>>52067295
Nevermind, I've found one (Oni)
>>
>>52067166
It's too strong. Has all the features of a fighter, with even more spell casting than an eldritch knight gets.

That said, either red or black.
>>
>>52062209
I like most of the domains pretty evenly. I just really hate Life domain though.
>>
>>52065518
wouldn't booming blade work only on non forced movement?
>>
>>52062704
It should be the fighting style. Since it's fighters that need it.
>>
>>52067346
Really? I think the aspect of not doing a lot of damage compensates a lot for it. Dread Knights are the only ones who really get some damage pumping, but they are nothing compared to a paladin, really.

Still in beta, so if needed, will nerf in various ways, mostly hitting those main things, maybe heave some feature from that 11-15 category to 18, balances it out a bit.
>>
File: imba.jpg (75KB, 620x800px) Image search: [Google]
imba.jpg
75KB, 620x800px
>>52067157
Well, Warlocks get a lot of cool bells and whistles and I can totally see them being designed around the idea that they're a magic ranger, with a bread and butter cantrip. I just question the logic in allowing magic to eclipse physical weapons, when damage is the only thing physical weapons do.

I realize martial/caster arguments are typical for this general, and I really don't mean to throw fuel on the fire, I'm just sayin' for Warlock itself.

>>52067160
Honestly, I came into 5e knowing a handful about D&D, but nothing about 3.PF or Warlocks. However, my knowledge of the word "warlock" and knowing of warlocks in other games, I thought Warlock in 5e would be one of three things. As it turns out, those three things were pretty closely exemplified by the three pacts, including Pact of the Blade. I played Final Fantasy XI, where Red Mage's classic armor was referred to as Warlock's attire. So, I just assumed some people envisioned warlocks as rapier-wielding magic users. This fits in with other appearances in media of warlocks as being fabulously dressed, although it's typically a guise for their charlatanry.
>>
>>52067298

It's actually pretty good as a super healer. If you want to be a healer, it's one of the best options in the game especially if you dip bard 1 or 2.
>>
>>52067382
>>52067346
>All the features of a fighter
I disagree.
Fighters have action surge, extra attack (2) and (3), etc.

Just saying 'oh, it has extra attack' doesn't make it like a fighter.

I'd say to compare it to a paladin..

Curse/ignite just says 'you channel energy'
Shouldn't it be worded more like improved divine smite or something? 'On hit, you deal more damage'
And it seems rather odd to have that sort of an ability as a level 3 archetype feature, 'you deal more damage'. Especially when other orders give much more situational stuff.

Seems weird to overcome magical resistance at level 2 even if casters have stuff like shillelagh (but they're casters anyway), but.. Eh.
>>
>>52067374

>mfw check the wording on Booming

Well, dissonant Whispers and compulsion movement is willing
>>
>>52067298
As said, good healer.

All are primarily stunbots.
Shadow monk is stealth.
Open hand is knocking stuff about while doing more damage from flurry of blows.

And, tranquility is heals. And it gets a lot of heals, even if generally a cleric is a better healer due to their versatility and eventually getting stuff like power word: heal or whatever.
>>
>>52067458
>>52067502
I was thinking of dipping a level or 2 into Protection Cleric. The extra healing and because of my mobility I can run to help protect people who could be taken out by an unlucky attack roll.
>>
>>52067502
>power word: heal

PWH is an exclusive L9 bard spell
>>
>>52067512

A cleric with a familiar can also do mobility + that thing you like
>>
>>52067517
Well, bard in that case. Point is, later heals are stronger than 10xLEVEL worth of healing.

>>52067512
Monk is generally better more pure as you get more ki with level and more ki means more stuns and getting features and all that earlier.
>>
>>52067570
>Well, bard in that case. Point is, later heals are stronger than 10xLEVEL worth of healing.

Yeah, but like.. You have to balance out those costs of opportunity.

A bard casting PWH is a bard not casting Foresight, or Wish
>>
What's the best land choice for land druids?
>>
>>52067472
It was totally made to be comparable to a paladin, even the level progression is basically copied for the most part.

I guess you're right on overcoming the resistance, I could throw that off by some levels, requiring them to use arcane focuses or a component pouch for a short while before attuning to weapons for casting.

Right about the curse / ignite, a small thing to fix. I have literally just written this all day long, so small semantic mistakes can be found pretty easily.

The reason they get 'you deal more damage' is precisely because they are dreadknights. If you want to damage similar to a paladin, that-a-way you go.

I tried to actually make the 3rd level features somewhat as applicable, as long as you adjust your playstyle accordingly.

>Dread Knights get extra damage, they're basically evokers that just keep hitting you until you die
>Land Knights are mostly area control, either with damage (Purple) or with restrain effects (Green)
>Sky knights are just all about that mobility (especially Silver)

That's at least how my imagination works with it. The 3rd level feature for Sky knights is basically just a thing to make their attacks more reliable. It was originally something like a passive Blur, but that's just sickening so no.
>>
>>52067625

America.
>>
>>52067625
Grasslands for haste, I believe
>>
>>52067127
Assumptions:
-Warlock has 20 Str/Dex and Cha
-Warlock has Agonizing Blast, and gets Thirsting blade, and Lifedrinker when they can
-Will provide 2 bladelock entries for a finesse weapon and Cursebringer, but will not assume smiting
-Hex is active
-Every attack hits but does not crit

Level 1:
EB: One beam for 1d10+5+1d6, average 13.
Pact Rapier: One attack for 1d8+5+1d6, average 12

Level 2: Cursebringer available.
Curse Bringer: 2d6+5+1d6, average 14

Level 5: Second EB beam, Thirsting blade available.
EB: 2 beams for 2x(1d10+5+1d6), average 26
Pact Rapier: 2 attacks for 2x(1d8+5+1d6), average 24
Cursebringer: 2 attacks for 2x(2d6+5+1d6), average 28

Level 11: Third EB beam.
EB: 3 beams for 3x(1d10+5+1d6), average 39

Level 12: Lifedrinker available.
Pact Rapier: 2 attacks for 2x(1d8+10+1d6), average 34
Cursebringer: 2 attacks for 2x(2d6+10+1d6), average 38

Level 17: 4th EB beam.
EB: 4 beams for 4x(1d10+5+1d6), average 52

Conclusion: EB pretty clearly superior to vanilla blade pact in all regards, but special pact weapons can reach comparable damage AND can smite for more nova potential at the cost of range.
>>
>>52067647
I wouldn't put damage buffs alongside utility buffs.
Especially something that's basically IDS compared to a couple of -
Well, actually, it's land's ability that's lacking.

Also, sky knight's level 3 ability has way, way too many rolls. Every creature next to you has to save and you keep making more saves when you attack.

But don't forget, with PAM you can make up to four attacks by level 4 with ease, meaning you're dealing an extra 4d8 damage a round. 2-3 attacks at level 3, so at level 3 you're kinda doing... 1d10(GWF)+MOD+1d8+1d4(GWF)+MOD+1d8+1d10(GWF)+MOD+1d8 damage.
>>
>>52067751
Derp. Warlocks can't get agonizing blast until level 2; therefore, average damage of level 1 eldritch blast should be 8, not 13.
>>
>>52067127
Eldritch blast's repelling blast is probably half of it. You can get some really good use out of that unless your DM always puts you in cramped rooms.

Also fightersorlocks.
>>
>>52067752
Solid points, solid points.

Hmm, I will probably try to actually tone them down to Land's level, rather than try to buff land, because it's the problem with the two above it (too much damage and too much rolls respectively), so I'd rather just fix those two. (I also kind of like the flavor of the Land feature)
>>
>>52067776
>Unless your DM puts you in cramped rooms

My DM awards additional damage for spamming an enemy into a wall
>>
about to start a new game and my DM is letting me make a Stone Sorcerer from UA. I'm the party's only tank and possibly only melee fighter, depending on how our druid is going to play.

we're level 3 and my AC is 18, and I got 28 hit points. Am I going to be ok? Should I be spamming Blade Ward every turn?
>>
>>52067751
What about SCAG cantrips over the second attack? I have a feeling unless you're using Curse Bringer or whatever it might increase damage.
>>
>>52067869

18 AC and 28 HP at level 3 is A LOT. You'll be fine.
>>
>>52067166
>>52067166

Awesome concept anon, keep posting as you work on it. I'd love to see a polished product.
>>
>>52067902
Good point. We can't assume the secondary damage of booming blade is going to apply, because that's based on the actions of your target, but we can assume the rest. Since we're not factoring in secondary damage, booming blade and green flame blade are actually identical.

Before level 5, there is no change.

At level 5:
Pact Rapier BB: 2d8+5+1d6, average 16
Cursebringer BB: 2d6+1d8+5+1d6, average 19

Level 12: Lifedrinker activates.
Pact Rapier BB: 3d8+10+1d6, average 25
Cursebringer BB: 2d6+2d8+10+1d6, average 27

Level 17:
Pact Rapier BB: 4d8+10+1d6, average 29
Cursebringer BB: 2d6+3d8+10+1d6, average 31

The lack of extra damage from your ability scores and hex brings the average down a bit, but the secondary damage of Booming Blade will push it over the top and potentially put it over EB. Green Flame Blade is less useful, but you might get some mileage out of it if your DM likes hordes of enemies. Just remember that the secondary damage from both cantrips will NOT provide extra hex damage, as there's no attack roll, but if you happen to be a Hexblade your curse will apply.
>>
I was just looking at the spell Meld into Stone. Being able to basically make yourself an invincible rock without Concentration seems kinda cool but are there any spells that will let you target things you can't see? I guess spike growth and spells like that work fine but I'm sure there has to be something better.
>>
>>52067869
You don't need blade ward when you can take the dodge action, but you can quicken spell blade ward at least I suppose.
>>
>>52067989
One last annoying nitpick. What about a Quarterstaff with PAM? Does the bonus action attack push it up enough?
>>
>>52067999
is dodge intrinsically better than blade ward?
>>
>>52067991
There are no spells that allow for targeting without line of sight of some sort, but you could summon a creature and give it a verbal command, and then meld into stone. Conjure fey with the Annis Gag would be quite effective.
>>
>>52068002
Let's see. PAM gives you a bonus action attack at 1d4, and sage advice notes that you do apply your ability to the roll. You have to take the attack action, so you can't use it with attack cantrips. I'm gonna jump ahead and look at when you get everything online (level 12).

Two-handing a quarterstaff, with PAM, Lifedrinker, and Hex active:
2x(1d8+10+1d6) + (1d4+10+1d6), average 49.

So yeah, fuck. Bear in mind that warlocks are pretty hungry for bonus actions as-is though.
>>
>>52068046
Hag*
>>
>>52067751
>>52067989
Don't forget using a polearm for a pact weapon for PAM or the +1/+2/+3 weapon invocations.

Before the warlock UA, the best way to go about bladelock was probably either shillelagh tomelock + GFB/BB (Get a decent pact and no invocations required and absolutely not MAD, but weaker) or bladelock with PAM.
Or multiclass, such as warlock5/rogueX warlock3/paladinX. For mostly warlock builds, a level of fighter was absolutely vital.

Even after the UA, I'd say eldritch blast might not be so great on the damage front but ranged attacks are great, especially coupled with repelling blast. blasts.
>>
>>52067974
Thanks!

I'm currently polishing the damage output slightly (evening it out with the different subclasses), and partially rewriting the 3rd level Chromatic Spectrum features.

I'm actually trying to make it balanced, we'll see.

The welcome has been surprisingly positive here. Some people don't like the color-coding schtick, but otherwise it hasn't been overly negative...

Unlike almost all of the other gish-classes that seem to be jumping around here.
>>
>>52068052
Yeah it's hard to make it as good as EB spam but, I mean in game it won't be too noticeable if you do it right. The bonus action won't always go off but you can grab that Ultimate Pact Weapon for +3 attack and damage.

This is all keeping in mind I hate bladelocks and think they have a terrible design. The Warlock should've been Intelligence anyway.
>>
>>52068046

Some conjuration spells let ya do it
>>
>>52068084
Shit, I totally forgot the pact weapon invocations. They also have the bonus of making it easier to hit as well as increasing damage. Once you get the +3 invocation, Cursebringer is sitting at 44 average damage before smiting, while the rapier is farther behind at 40.

>>52068103
Yeah, I doubt it'll be that noticeable. The biggest problem with the bladelock is survivability anyways, and Hexblade mostly fixes that.
>>
>>52068103

Fun fact, it was intelligence.

Got swapped with test audiences
>>
>>52068178
What? Why? Heaven forbid we have at least two caster classes using intelligence.

What made this edition tack on so many charisma casters and just one intelligence caster?
>>
>>52068227
It's so they can bring in the Artificer (is it Int now, as it should be) and Archivist in the next PHB I hope.
>>
>>52068171
Don't get why the gap between cursebringer and rapier should be changing a lot.

It's a flat (2.5)*(Number of hits) damage difference unless you want to get fuckey with crits and GWM and all that.
>>
>>52068227

the lack of a second INT caster is a large reason why it's considered a dump stat. Only reason I can think of is to appease the Tiefling fans.
>>
>>52068242
Average damage on 1d8 is 4.5, average damage on 2d6 is 7. I rounded down the 4.5 for my calculations, and honestly I'm not sure my math is right overall anyways.
>>
>>52067157
not at all, EB is decent but not great by itself

the real goal of EB is to make it add Cha to each hit, push back 10', and in the rare campaign where huge ranged assets are useful, you can crank the range up to 300' to 600'
>>
>>52067974
Here's a little update.

>Changed 3rd level Spectrum features for Night and Sky, more in line with the utility and power level of Land.
>Moved Knightly Weapon (*really need a snazzier name for it) to 7th level, added the damage boost of 1d8 there, for everyone.
>Moved Improved Magic Resistance to level 18, so theoretically people need to play the class until 18 to get the capstone, that being immunity to magic damage.
>>
>>52068288
Not to mention using Ascendant Step to become a floating weapon's platform immune to the dirty melee peasants.
>>
tg, give me feedback on my houserullings. I've made them or picked them up here and there from watching other games

>drinking pot is a bonus, feeding it is an action
>Warforged and Artificer are allowed
>Artificer is a half caster,
>5th level spells are mostly healing, mobility, permanency spells such as Teleportation circle, and spells that have a high investment in a focus, like Scrying
>Barbarians in rage can't be non lethal
>Eldritch Knights and Arcane Tricksters count as 1/3 Wizard levels for the schools that they're limited to only.
>Restrained inhibits Somatic spellcasting the same way Silence inhibits verbal

And here come the tricky ones that I'm still mulling over

>Crafting magic items is possible provided all the requirements in the DMG are fulfilled
>Crafting progresses at 25 gp/day + 5gp proficiency point of the relevant skill
>Crafting a schematic is possible at the same rules, with Investigation being the pertinent skill
>Crafting requires a workshop suited for the level of the item you're trying to put out. Towns with uncommons, cities with rares, capitals for very rares.
>>
>>52067127
1. You can get up to Oathbreaker tier melee damage and use PAM/GWM like a melee guy.
2. The bladelock is the only dude with any chance in the game to actually get a sunblade-halberd, a vorpal club, a holy avenger glaive, etc.

The bladelock is fine.
>>
>>52068227

I think it was something said about them wanting to be the way it had always been
>>
>>52068318
I'm not sure you're using 'verisimilitude' correctly. I think you're looking for a different word there
>>
>>52068406
Probably. Not a native, and I'm kind of prone to using big words, which is a really bad combination sometimes.
>>
>>52068422

versimilitude basically means "truthiness". The adjective of something feeling institutionally true.

Less like truth and more like plausibility.

Maybe you meant versatility?
>>
>>52068435
>>52068422

'Affinity' perhaps?
>>
>>52068435
I actually meant kinship. Well, I changed it to the next version, which I will post at some point.

It's kind of funny that they get their magic from kinship (most of the time) yet they are not Charisma-casters. No matter, I just kind of blurted the fluff out, so it's still very loose and malleable.

>>52068465
Translated it to kinship, but yeah.
>>
>>52068465

Atunement?
>>
>>52067751
Your math is a little inaccurate. The average for 1d10 is 5.5, not 5. The average for 1d6 is 3.5, not 3. So, for example, your level 2 Cursebringer is 15.5, not 14. It doesn't really matter, though. The point still stands. Melee weapons can almost keep up - almost - by using more Invocations and investing in more stats, but it isn't comparable in damage, nor can it ever exceed Eldritch Blast. Finally, even if it could exceed Eldritch Blast by getting a couple points here or there, it still wouldn't make up for the non-damage advantages of Eldritch Blast (such as range and a less common damage type).

>>52068084
If a built-in class concept needs multiclassing to make it work, then there's obviously a problem.

>>52068103
I don't see how. Warlocks are gifted their powers and are classically thought of as charlatans. Charisma makes more sense.

>>52068373
I'm not against using a polearm or great weapon, but that's not what I typically envision a Warlock using. It also makes them more MAD, as you're not using DEX. Also, feats are an optional mechanic. You can't say, "it's fine if you use feats/multiclass." That just highlights how it's not fine.

I also don't get the sunblade-halberd, vorpal club, holy avenger glaive comment? I'm pretty sure you can't do that. You can make a magic weapon your pact weapon. That doesn't mean it changes what kind of weapon it is. Even if it did, that's something DMs are liable to do for you half the time anyways.
>>
How many pages of setting backstory and history is too much?
>>
>>52068573
>I don't see how. Warlocks are gifted their powers and are classically thought of as charlatans. Charisma makes more sense.
Relative newfag to DnD here. Could you elaborate on this?
>>
>>52068435
In the context of video games or D&D, it's your ability to suspend (dis)belief.
>>
>>52068596
For a player or setting?
>>
>>52068596
If you actually want you players to read it? Keep it to a one page single spaced MS word document. Max. The rest can be revealed in-game.

If it's just for you then go apeshit. The more the better, as long as you can remember it all in the heat of the game.
>>
>>52068625
It's an online game so I figure they'll read it eventually between sessions for lack of anything better to do.

I suppose I should just make a short timeline summary instead.
>>
>>52068474
Other than nitpicking, I think it's really good. I think you might go into more of the fluff of what chromatic knights generally want a little more. It's pretty vague on that. All the PHB classes do a good job providing ideas for the types of personalities and backgrounds that generally go with a class type.

Also I'm personally bad at balancing but I get the feel Chromatic Knights might be OP in practice.
>>
>>52068625
>The rest can be revealed in-game
Different anon, but what is the best way to do this so that the players actually recall said facts and have it not feel forced? I've done things like subtly mention or namedrop topics here and there, but for the most part my players won't really get the connection post reveal until I remind them about so and so. I've had an npc just deliver some lines of exposition every now and again, which seems to work but again feels jarring and forced. Should I just give them handouts every now and again?
>>
>>52068606

He's neither wrong nor right.

A Warlock is someone who made a pact with a supernatural entity in exchange for power, which traditionally takes form in the entity's unphantomable knowledge. Like, a Faustian deal.
Because of the way they gained this power, while there are some similarities to wizardry, there are also differences. There's a lot of "cantripifications", fast recoveries of great bursts, but because you didn't build up to it, it's "borrowed knowledge", you don't really get the subtlety of full casters

Because they cast out of this dark knowledge, they used to be inteligence casters, but because play testers didn't like it, because change is bad, they went back to charisma, and refluff it as the force of your personality translating the depth of your connection to your patron, the incisiveness of your entreaties, the persuasiveness of your pact to deal in you favor, in exchange for just generically power.
>>
>>52068606
The fluff for Warlocks is actually more akin to clerics than other casters. You made a pact or contract - often to your detriment - with a being of great power. That being offers you a tiny fraction of their power to pursue your own interests, but they always get something out of the deal. A fiend might want your soul when you die, a fey lord might just want you to entertain them with your mortal antics, and who the fuck knows what an old one wants.
>>
>>52068736

I guess with show, not tell. If I can be narcissistic enough to use myself as an example

My character is an escapee from Barovia.

I've dropped these hints by having him be highly phobic of Mist when it comes around, once in a while swearing "By the devil's flaming horse", and when we're at night, he plays a vistani looking Instrument of the bards to which he is not attuned to.

He makes a WIS save for 2d4 psychic damage (he's a cleric, it's fine) but doesn't let on he's doing it, and he keeps playing it anyway because it's saudade of the person it belongs to.

He also has a lot "refugee" attitudes, like not getting references to local history or topography despite typical refugee attitudes, like being overly fond and ecstatic to just "be here"
>>
>>52068606
Well, I'm technically a newfag to D&D, too, but as to the first half of my comment: Warlocks in D&D gain their magical abilities via otherworldly patrons. Essentially, any entity that isn't overtly a god, but has powers of a magnitude similar to one, would qualify. There are actually characters who double as both, such as Auril or the Raven Queen. Clerics openly worship a deity and are then gifted magical powers for their devotion, but Warlocks are more secretive in their relationship with devils, aliens, liches, or the like. They might worship one, but more often than not they either have a business-like relationship with one or are actually siphoning one's powers without them noticing.

As for the second half of my comment, warlock means "male witch." The etymology of the word points to it originally meaning a truce-breaker; a traitor; a liar. For this, people who actually consider themselves to be male witches in real life don't like the term. Witches in general have often been thought of as charlatans, as they tend to be old ladies living on the outskirts of society and make use of concoctions (which aren't necessarily magic) and are wildly associated with superstitions (like black cats). A creepy old lady who pushes a cart into town trying to sell people jars of pig shit might be some fiendish magic user, or they might be full of shit (no pun intended).

Truthfully, I don't actually know if warlocks are considered to be significantly different or not. All I know about them in fiction is the TV show Bewitched, and while they were actually capable of casting magic, they were over-the-top and extravagant about it, making them seem like cons.

I assume Wizards of the Coast agrees with that assessment, since in the PHB, the recommended background for Warlock is the charlatan.
>>
>>52068707
It's very possible. Knowing what is and what is not OP in practise is pretty hard to quantify.

The one thing that makes them strong (and possibly OP in that regard) is the fact that they have more options for using bonus actions and reactions than similar classes.

But on the other hand, their damage output is probably vastly surpassed by Paladins (esp by those damage-specific builds like oathbreaker), their main competitor. For a half-caster, damage is a pretty big thing, and the only damage boost they get ever is 1d8 from knightly weapon at level 7 (they get it 4 levels before paladins, but they ain't got no smites, unless you count searing smite lol), and aerial attack on Sky knights, which is once-per-short-rest and requires quite the specific circumstance.
>>
Wait, as a Tomelock, I can combine Shillelagh with Green Flame Blade?

That's amazing!
>>
>>52068606
He is incorrect about 5E Warlocks in that they are not GIFTED their powers anymore.

Warlocks perform services for their Patrons in exchange for eldritch knowledge; they otherwise learn the secrets of the multiverse on their own, but the Patron is essentially dropping the book in their lap.
A Patron whose Warlock falls out of favor with them cannot "take back" his having taught them how to Eldritch Blast the way that a Cleric's God can say, "Nope, no more spellcasting for you." Warlocks keep that knowledge forever and can even build on it for themselves.
>>
Warlock is the best martial!
>>
>>52068839
>Clerics openly worship a deity

Well no, not exactly.

A cleric is an individual that because of his unusually high Wisdom, i.e. his attunement to creation around him, has opened himself up to the same magical power of creation as the gods, with a specific domain (and thus a pertinent deity) matching the "frequency" of the cleric's Wisdom
>>
>>52068850
You can... but it's not that amazing with light armor, so you should consider multiclassing with Paladin or Fighter too.

Also go with Undying Light patron for more +CHA to damage.
>>
>>52068919
I'm aware that other builds are better for combat, but I've taken to my GOO Tomelock w/BoAS for RP reasons. I primarily do more eldritch blast spam with some utility in there, but I'm happy that I do have a melee ability if i find myself cornered.
>>
>>52068900
Nope.
>>
>>52068736
1) Keep it focused. If all the conflict in your campaign revolves around a central piece of lore your players will learn it soon enough. It's tempting to make an epic backstory for your land but bottom line is it's too much information for your players to adsorb and retain over the months and months of a campaign.

2) Keep it relevant. Players will care about backstory only as long as the backstory is directly relevant to their struggle here and now.

3)Keep it logical. I don't just mean the backstory itself but also the progression that the backstory is revealed with. So starting off there should be one or two burning questions in the characters/players' minds about the past. The first 'reveal' needs to answer that question, but lead to more questions. So, for example:

If an event eradicated the land 1000 years ago, the first question to answer is
>What happened?
You reveal there was an apocalyptic war where the normally peaceful faeryfolk unleashed their old magic against the humans
>Well wtf? What caused the faeryfolk to do that?
You reveal several sessions later mankind uncovered some grave threat to the entire mortal plane
>Oh shit... what did mankind find?
You reveal much later mankind had invented the steam engine, and with it tried to industrialize and deforest the entire world

etc. etc. It's logical. Every revelation leads to new questions. Every revelation is directly pertinent to the conflict at hand. If you are good enough at this your players will begin to look forward to your next revelation and sometimes even start actively working toward the next revelation.

Revelations should be climactic conclusions to a subplot or adventure. Think: you get to the end of an adventure in an abandoned faery temple and find a mural telling a story, or perhaps an ancient NPC on his deathbed.

Backstory should not be the driving force of the plot. That's an amateur mistake. But players should start to care more and more about it as they go
>>
>>52068879
>they are not GIFTED their powers
>gift
>to give away; to concede easily
>Some patrons collect warlocks, doling out mystic knowledge relatively freely

Sounds like a gift to me.

>>52068900
>A cleric might learn formulaic prayers and ancient rites, but the ability to cast cleric spells relies on devotion and an intuitive sense of a deity's wishes.

Sounds like open worship to me. Are the Clerics you play with secretive about their worship? Do they not worship their deity?
>>
File: darksouls1.jpg (57KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
darksouls1.jpg
57KB, 1024x576px
>>52062209
>light domain so low
Nobody wants to 420 praise it?
>>
>>52068979
You are better off with Shocking Grasp (can be use as ranged with familiar too and no reaction from enemy mean you can just walk away) or Sacred Flame (forcing saving throw doesn't care about you being in melee).
>>
File: Creating a Cleric.png (462KB, 521x374px) Image search: [Google]
Creating a Cleric.png
462KB, 521x374px
>>52068900
u wot m8
>>
>>52069051
It's 100% the "fire is a bad element" meme.
>>
>>52062926
>they just have so much AC I feel like its bogging the game down
Throw more things at them that force them to roll saves to negate/half damage

>I don't need Dex if I'm in full plate!
>>
Was thinking of buffing the Battlerager because it's really not good, I had two ideas.

First was make the spiked armour be able to use and Medium Armour stats when they buy it. Otherwise they're stuck at 16 AC. Also maybe let them use CON to get the +2 bonus? That might be too much though.

Second was to let them add Rage damage to the damage they do when they Grapple something. Either that or add their STR damage to it.

Any of these unbalance the game massively?
>>
So /tg/ I've been doing a little work on my home campaign setting and it got me thinking, what's the right number of high CR monsters for a continent?

Sure from a story perspective the answer is however many you need but from a world perspective what number of say liches or ancient dragons make sense to you?

For me personally I tend to limit really powerful monsters to around one or two dozen total for each. Anything more just makes me wonder why they aren't running the place but it's still enough that you can sprinkle them over the map.

Thoughts?
>>
>>52062926
Even a lowly goblin has 20% chance to hit the guy with 20 AC. It will increase to 36% if they can get advantage (unseen attacker for example).

Are you sure you aren't making a newbie DM mistake and only throw 1 big guy at them without adding in several smaller guys?
>>
>>52063150
Most classes will start at 16 AC at level 1.
18 AC is pretty standard for martials.
>>
>>52069265
Depends on the personality of the monsters. A lich would carve out a kingdom of undeath, and maybe his expansion would only be held in check by a circumference of strong kingdoms. A dragon might not give a fuck about the outside world at all, once he has his treasure, and therefore there could be any number of dragons hiding away in the dark places of the world.

But i'm curious--what kind of campaign are you running where you seriously have to consider how many CR 15+ monsters you should have in your world?
>>
What's a good name for the Not!Zhentarim, a faction of ruthless bankers and merchants who commit nefarious deeds to ensure their pockets are lined?
>>
>>52069386
The Smug Fucks
>>
>>52069265

Nothing wrong with having lots of high CR creatures in setting, just depends on their activity. A good way of 'disposing' of large swathes of land is just to have them be dragon hunting grounds.

There can be thousands of demiliches and millions of purple worms in-setting, just nobody notices.
>>
>>52069365
>A lich would carve out a kingdom of undeath

Plenty of liches are content to remain in a basement somewhere, and probably why they became undead.
>>
>>52069265
I like having just one of each established just so in setting people know they are a thing that exists and are rightfully scared of.
>>
>>52069386
Talons of Tiamat, Dragon Goddess of Greed.
>>
>>52069396
I vote for this
>>
File: 0bweXX6.jpg (985KB, 2700x1944px) Image search: [Google]
0bweXX6.jpg
985KB, 2700x1944px
Am I the only one who finds the monster sizes kind of ends at a bit of a puny scale?

I mean you got the Kraken, that ship-sinking mothertrumpeter, and it's not going to look very impressive on a proper ship map... Most ship battlemaps I've come across are way larger than 20ft x 20ft...
>>
>>52069386
In all seriousness, though. Just name them something British. Like the Magistracy or the Chamber of Prosperity. Or something.
>>
would an air genasi or an aarakocra make a good monk
>>
>>52069568
So make it bigger, it says 20x20 or larger.
>>
>>52069265
>Anything more just makes me wonder why they aren't running the place
My setting has a bunch but the whole thing is that they are, in fact, running the place. There's a nation pretty much ruled by powerful dragons, and dragonborn warlords that win their favour (essentially post-Fate Reforged Tarkir), and even outside that region a lot of the most powerful and influential merchants, even a few politicians, are secretly dragons. Liches and other powerful undead are mostly hanging out in a single region of the world that's full of necromantic energy, but they're the ruling class up there.
That said, the numbers are still limited due to conflicts between the dragons, liches etc.
>>
File: min24463orcusprinceofundeath.jpg (39KB, 500x470px) Image search: [Google]
min24463orcusprinceofundeath.jpg
39KB, 500x470px
>>52069568
I think they say 20x20 because that's the max size they're ever going to use for a miniature. But you can go larger than that if you want.
>>
>>52069386
The Iron Throne or the Rundeen.
>>
>>52069568
Its 20x20 or larger
Its purely filed that way so that you will be using d20 HD rather than having to buy something bigger and dumber.
>>
>>52069568
Well it's tentacles have a 30ft range so tentacle tip to tentacle tip its going to be 80ft minimum if you have at its smallest of 20x20ft. With 10 tentacles its pretty much an 80x80ft creature only there is space to move between the tentacles for players t move in to reach its main body.
>>
Do any of you lads mind if I post what's happening in my campaign, where I want to go, and ask if everything is going alright or seems alright? Still a novice DM here, so you mind if I do it?
>>
>>52069941
Just post it.
>>
Welp, I played in an online AL game today for SKT to get some XP on my wizard. I thought we were doing one of the giant castles. Nope, it was the final battle. I am now in the strange position of being able to wield both a Staff of Power and a Staff of the Magi.
>>
>>52066054
You guys are forgetting this us a level 20 bard retiring.

I somehow doubt a Bard of that level would have any kind of issues living comfortably for minimum effort.
>>
>>52069976
Alright

The campaign just started, my players are now heading towards a city that will act as a sort of "hub." They found out from the first town they were in, about the local Lord's daughter who is having relations with a member of someone's court. That person from someone's court is appealing to the daughter with gems, so that she could get her father to do what he says.

The father/local lord found out about this, and is outraged by it. Demanding that they withdraw troops from the hub city, as that was one of the things that he was convinced to be doing.

The players are entering into a "lower quarter", an area for visitors to do their business and leave. I'm thinking about expanding on this a bit to have it be a slight more political or have something underlying beneath the surface, but the main thing(s), I want to do is to have someone feigning an excavation team, who's "hiring" freelancers to go out and map more of the western nation.

Another one, to appeal to engage the cleric, is how one of the places of worship is being controlled by a local gang.
>>
File: 1462600523214.png (806KB, 848x1430px) Image search: [Google]
1462600523214.png
806KB, 848x1430px
>>52070187
>>52070187
>>52070187
>>
>>52070147
>You guys are forgetting this us a level 20 bard retiring.

It isn't. If you feel like chiming in on a convo unasked, follow the reply chain before you waste everyone's time posting like a douche.

It was asking why a PC with no EBIN!!! motivation would continue to adventure. A level 20 char is obviously near the end of their journey and can retire to do what you want.
>>
>>52070344
I was the original poster.

The original question went what to do with te Bard who had no further aspirations beyond her adventuring with her friends. Said friends are all "retiring" from adventuring, as a grand priest of a church, minor God of a large forest, and a Wizard trying to create his own plane to play God in.

It is a pretty funny thought to have a level 20 Bard run an Inn on the middle of nowhere, though.
>>
>>52065014
>zombies that have magical fear auras and horrific diseases in their bites
You mean mummies?
>borrowed from left 4 dead.
Oh. Well nevermind.
Thread posts: 403
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.