[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fgg/ Frostgrave General: Fantasy Wargames in the Frozen Cit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: pic2570660.jpg (435KB, 949x1200px) Image search: [Google]
pic2570660.jpg
435KB, 949x1200px
/fgg/ Frostgrave General: Fantasy Wargames in the Frozen City: We Morheim Edition

>Frostgrave: The Frostgrave Folio out the 14th, Sellswords that level up, more base upgrades, co-op campaign for your bitch ass friends who need to catch up.
https://ospreypublishing.com/frostgrave-the-frostgrave-folio
>>
>>52055163

Frostgrave does seem neato-burrito, though I know a lot of people are put off by its lack of units customization. Still, as a setting agnostic game, it seems neat, and I think a good number of its tables, rules, and ideas can easily be ported to other games for narrative flavor.
>>
Curious about this game as some people play it on occasion. Is there a specific way that I need to base my things? Do bases matter at all for mechanical purposes? I wanted to throw a bunch of my Malifaux figures into the fray for a Japanese themed party, even if I get fucked over by TLoS.
>>
>>52055963

Basing doesn't seem too specific. Round or square, lipped... so long as it's reasonable it should be fine. Most things on a 25mm base, bigger dudes on 32/40mm bases, and tiny things on 20mm bases. Maybe some cavalry bases if you're playing modified rules for mounts. Shouldn't need anything larger.
>>
>>52056004
I see, so base contact isn't a factor in gameplay? Is everything measured from the center of a model to another then?
>>
>>52056018

Base contact might be a factor, but I'm pretty sure things are measure from the center of the model, or at least the lip of the base. I know it's more relevant to the dudes in melee, but this factors more into who gets bonuses in combat for outnumbering their opponent.
>>
seems like lack of customization and the snow-ball effect kill this game :/
>>
If you want to play a little skirmish game where the wizards are the heroes. It's all about the wizard and hired mooks battling each other, then frostgrave is perfect for that.

But if you want to play a game where you have a lot more options in customization and not necessarily have or need wizards, then I would recommend song of blades and heroes.

Frostgrave does the magic very well, where SoBaH is pretty poor and lackluster at it. Frostgrave is very poor in not-wizards, but SoBaH excels at it.
>>
>>52055163
Ordered my Folio from the nickstarter, great value for that offer.

>>52055963
>Do bases matter at all for mechanical purposes?
Not enough to be an issue, I have most of my things in 30mm round lipped but tend to pad some warbands out with whfb minis in 20mm squared, they work just fine.

>>52056230
Looking at lead-adventure and facebook, that game looks far from dead, especially considering that they are releasing a new pirate themed version this year (Ghost Archipelago). I think most people just play at home (I do).

>>52056483
Agree.
>>
Shit game with none existent balance.

Players are punished for making something thematic instead of just playing an elementalist which is the defacto best wizard.

Summoner is the worst class for summoning.

Stats have so little impact on unit ability it's essentially "roll high" the game.

Uses D20's for no reason other than nostalgia.
>>
>>52055963
If it means anything, the official minis are on 25mm round. But as others have said, whatever works, as long as you're not trying to break the game with it.
>>
>>52056935
>Implying elemental magic isn't the epitome of spellcraft
>>
>>52056018
Base contact matters, but it has ups and downs. For example, I have some big guys (uuuu) on 40mm bases to represent my barbarians. Because of their base size and the rules for engaging models trying to pass you, they are better at blocking corridors and protecting areas I don't want my opponents to pass. But it also means they're more susceptible to getting ganged up on (providing the opponent bonuses in a fight) and are harder to hide from enemy ranged attacks.

The game is clearly meant to be played very casually anyway so I wouldn't worry too much about this.
>>
File: 1459323849361.jpg (49KB, 444x363px) Image search: [Google]
1459323849361.jpg
49KB, 444x363px
>your dudes skirmish game
>extremely limited customization
>>
>>52060172
Well their idea of customization is the wizards (which is actually pretty damn good), but for everything else, the book says use whatever minis you want, just be clear to your opponent what is what.

It's not that much customization, but this post highlights it well >>52056483
>>
>>52061225
>Well their idea of customization is the wizards (which is actually pretty damn good)

This is a lie.
>>
>>52061636
I think it's really good. With all the spells and schools of magic and branching into other school you have a lot of options.

But all in all I prefer SoBaH above all.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.