[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Breath of the Wild got me thinking about this lately, and I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 270
Thread images: 35

File: Rpg_logo.png (80KB, 400x241px) Image search: [Google]
Rpg_logo.png
80KB, 400x241px
Breath of the Wild got me thinking about this lately, and I was wondering if there was any particular reason this project fell dormant. If not, this seems like a great time to pick it back up again. It seems really close to complete, it could just use a little more polish and some added content to reflect more recent games (Even though BotW on it's own adds so much).

Wiki page: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Legend_of_Zelda_RPG

Download of latest pdf: http://www.mediafire.com/view/7723dfl07gw3jc7/Legend_of_Zelda_RPG_Beta_3.pdf
>>
File: Zelda BotW reviews.jpg (161KB, 1500x1088px) Image search: [Google]
Zelda BotW reviews.jpg
161KB, 1500x1088px
>>52047052
I personally love this but I think it is still incomplete. Particularly I would love a proper enemy list alongside modifiers to make each enemy unique.

Now, with BotW out, there is a lot of stuff that can be added now (new armors, weapons, enemies, foods, etc.)

Seriously, every player and gamemaster needs to play this video game as well as the RPG you linked.
>>
>>52047264
Holy shit, those scores are real...
>>
>>52047743
Personally I would not give it a 10/10. A 9, but not a 10.
>>
>>52047832
That's always the case, isn't it.
>>
>>52047832
May I ask why?

As for the RPG, I'm reading it over now. How had I never heard of it?
>>
>>52048004
It's an obscure /tg/ project

>>52047832
I always assume that videogame reviews are about 1-2 points below what they say because game review sites are chronically terrified of giving a score below 50 because people assume this would mean "the worst game ever". And even then I suspect Big Rigs would still get a 50.
>>
>>52047264
>proper enemy list
That plus a pdf with better graphic design are the two big things I think will really be needed to take this out of beta and into version 1.0. Anything else?
>>
>>52047052
I remember strongly disliking Arcane Magic and how overly complicated it felt. I vastly prefer Wave Magic (except its name, which doesn't make sense to me) and Narrative Magic to Arcane Magic. Arcane Magic's "spell construction" from keywords just feels overly complicated, and I don't see what Cascade Casting has to do with the games, or why it's needed in the system at all.

The canonical nature of Spirit Orbs will help greatly with the flavor issue of "Full Heart" doing more than just increasing your hearts.

I do REALLY love the way that Virtues are represented in the system, though. The Virtue mechanic is absolutely fantastic and so true to the spirit of Zelda, I love it.

I'm glad to see that other people are talking about converting Breath of the Wild and other Zelda games to tabletop. Breath of the Wild is literally how I would run a Zelda game. it's awesome.
>>
>>52048004
>May I ask why?
The game is absolute garbage with no redeeming features except pic related, which manages to bring the score from a 1 all the way up to a 9.

Seriously though, I'm not a fan of the voice-acting, even if it's only for certain cutscenes; and weapon durability is meh. Why can't I keep using my favorite sword? Why do my unique weapons have to break? Why is the weapon durability system worse than in Dark Souls?
>>
>>52050195
Weapon durability and lag (though I haven't experienced the lag) are probably the two major complaints, yeah.

I like the voice acting just fine so far.
>>
>>52050195
>dat pic
holy shit that's hot. MTF artists get on it!!!
>>
>>52050449
>lag
Even on the Switch?
>>
>>52050195
>voice-acting
Zelda's voice is so terrible. You'd think they'd at least get someone competent for the main fucking speaking role. It's so obvious she's American/Canadian with her faltering accent.
>>
>>52050195
I really like the voice acting. It isn't perfect, but I think it fits the more personal and emotional stories they're trying to tell with those particular characters. I think Zelda's design and VA are meh overall, but I like what they're doing with her, giving her more of a presence and a more explored character than she's had before in most games.

I agree with the durability complaints, if there's a way to enhance or repair weapons then I haven't found it yet. Weapon shops in towns and villages and the odd roaming weapon trader would go a long way as well.

Lag blows, can't even walk through Kakariko village on the Wii U without slight stuttering. No problems when exploring the world though.

I would say it's an 8.5. I've only done two of the dungeons so far and they were both disappointing. Much smaller and simpler and safer than I was expecting. For the big deal the Divine Beasts are you would think they would be some hard fucking dungeons.

For all of that though the game is amazing. Probably the first game I've played in a long time that sparked a sense of wonder in me. I was just dicking around on a pond with ice pillars not even 20 minutes ago when a massive serpentine lightning dragon erupted out of it right in front of my face. I shot it, and it dropped a scale that I have no clue what to do with. The fact that it wasn't a scripted moment and that it's an experience I had all on my own is really fucking cool.

Also no spoilers pls, doing Gerudos next.
/blog
>>
>>52052642
I have it on the Switch, lag is rare (mostly on great plateau...)
>>
>>52052867
Ditto. My only complaint beyond the occasional lag is Zelda's voice (everyone else's is okay, but hers is just, well, wrong sounding).

Also, shield-surfing is fucking awesome!
>>
>>52052818
>when a massive serpentine lightning dragon erupted out of it right in front of my face.
Oh boy, you're in for a treat with the other 2. Also, the scale is craftable!
>>
>>52047743
>>52047832
Scores are pseudo-objective cancer that should be scrapped. As much as I think Kotaku is bottom-of-the-barrel crap, at least it bottom-lines its games with an actual sentence.
Alright enough of my /v/irgin rage, what were we talking about?

I used to draw dungeon maps based on LoZ when I was a kid. I wasn't very clever with the puzzles.
I once thought of an item that was like the grappling hook from Wind Waker, except the "hand" could actually do things a normal hand can do because of it's mechanical and/or magical design. It also partially enhanced Link's strength.

I haven't seen any of the trailers. I want to go in as blind as possible, so I'll probably be shocked when I hear the voice acting regardless of quality.
>>
>>52053200
>Hasn't seen the greatest game trailer in years

PLAY THE GAME

That said, let's focus in the RPG. Yes, it needs a beastiary, some things from the newer games (Link Between Worlds, TriForce Heroes and Breath of the Wild). Fuck, even the 5e hack of Zelda has some of those things.
>>
>>52053200
The voice acting isn't terrible, although it can be awkward in places. I actually think that adding voice acting was a good move and is handled pretty well, unlike the addition of a voiced PC to Fallout 4.
>>
>>52053401
Pretty much this. Link still gets a few choices of what to "say" (never voiced though) but they don't really amount to much. Some voice acting is good, most are fine, Zelda's is just meh or worse.

Now, let's stick to the RPG - 1d4chan has some info on monsters but it seems rather lackluster. How can we improve it? I'm thinking there are "base" monsters (like, say, the bokoblin) but each comes with a number of special modifiers to customize them (make the bokoblin undead, have a few meager spells, more resistant to certain types of energy and weak to others, etc). As per WW and now BotW we should really separate damage from the monsters that use weapons so they can just pick up whatever is on hand (rock, club, long stick, pointy stick, etc all the way up to the new weapons we can encounter).

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Legend_of_Zelda_RPG/GM_Resources
>>
>>52052818
Holy shit where was that pond? I've been looking for that scale for a quest!!
>>
>>52053263
>>52053776

I think having simple Monster templates is the way to go, with customizable additional qualities.

I really just don't like the crunchiness of this particular system. Yes, I know it really isn't that cruncy, but I just think everything has too many numbers... I'd prefer it more streamlined, more narrative, where it's about leveraging the abilities of items and weapons, not looking at their numbers.
>>
>>52052818
>I've only done two of the dungeons so far and they were both disappointing. Much smaller and simpler and safer than I was expecting. For the big deal the Divine Beasts are you would think they would be some hard fucking dungeons.
The dungeons are too samey aesthetically for me.

The length doesn't bother me as much, mainly because of the shitton of shrines there are.
>>
>>52054588
IMHO it's fine, but modularity should be the main focus for the enemies for sure.
>>
File: 1486350962551.jpg (86KB, 462x526px) Image search: [Google]
1486350962551.jpg
86KB, 462x526px
>>52054592
I like the dungeons and the shrines both. The shrines are, technically, completely optional (outside of the Great Plateau) but do allow one to become healthier/have more stamina. And it's also the build up to the dungeons proper that I like. You get story build up among a lot of things before them. It's like how I like my D&D games - lots of little side adventures to better flesh out ones character and your parse these with major campaign points.
>>
>>52052780
Yeah, Zelda's kind of a prick to Link (because of how much she sucks at her own job) for a while in this one and the bad voice actor does not help.
>>
>>52054544
The dragon is Farosh. Nigga is chill as fuck, shows up in Lake Hylia and in the southeastern-most region, the one that looks like a tropical rain forest.
>>
>>52056429
That's what I figured, as when I checked that forest out it was all lightning themed. And that's where I got the quest to pick up the scale too, if I recall. Thanks.
>>
>>52056488
Where did you pick up the quest? I only have the one for Dinraal's scale.
>>
>>52056503
Dracozu Lake. On the map it's a snake-like river that leads to a lake that looks like open jaws. There's a Goddess statue there that gives you the quest. You might need to find Kass in the forest nearby, though - that's the accordion Rito, to be clear.
>>
>>52056521
Cool, thanks.
>>
From a guy who hasn't played zelda ever beyond cutting some grass on a snes emulator.

Which 3-4 things would you say that are the most important points to portray in a zelda tabletop game?
>>
>>52057149
Puzzles, cool races and locations, cool items, and Gerudo femdom musclegirls.
>>
>>52057149
>Themed dungeons
>Unique items
>Badass races (playable or otherwise)
>Music
>Diverse locations and people

There is more but I need to head to work now.
>>
>>52058266
>>Music
Zelda has always had great music. The Theophany covers for Majora's Mask are amazing, and the Breath of the Wild theme really captures the spirit of adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZsbtOZWG4o
>>
Would magic need to be expanded on for this game? I haven't played all of the Zelda games, but from what I know magic isn't portrayed the same way it is in other fantasy settings.

How would you make a spellcaster a viable class for a Zelda RPG?
>>
If anyone wants an alternate system to OPs to run it in: http://www.mediafire.com/file/cfdffwwl84k5r1a/Zelda5eV0.8.pdf

The above is a Zelda setting adapted to 5e. It's still very much WIP (the above doc has no images and the locations section needs a heavy rework) but is quite functional. We've been running a weekly 5e game in the setting for about a year and a half now. Nothing of Breath of the Wild has been incorporated into it yet (none of my group has beat the game yet, and I don't even own it yet).

The setting in the 5e RPG is a branch of the official timeline. Basically, after the 70th bajillion time Ganon was defeated, Princess Zelda enacted a ritual that broke the reincarnation cycle for her, Link, and (most importantly) Ganon. In the process it also shattered the triforce. The Triforce isn't completely gone, it's effects can still be felt and the world isn't the danger of dying like Lorule in "A Link Between Worlds".

Fast forward a hundred years or so. The Royal family collapsed and Hyrule divided into a number of somewhat hostile nations, each with their own claim to the throne. Think "A Song of Fire and Ice" set pre-Game of Thrones but in Zelda. A "Neutral" city has grown around the former Lon Lon Ranch and is home to the Wardens of Hyrule, which is basically an adventurer's guild.

We have a bestiary, but it's even more WIP than the above doc.
>>
I think Breath of the Wild lends itself really well to a ttrpg. The world feels lived in, especially compared to the other games, you run into random adventurers all the time, it has all the races that most people want to play as, a good variety of weapons and armor that normal people would have access to, and the 100 years that Link is asleep is the perfect window to set the game in without having to mess with the canon.
>>
>>52059718
I agree. Just make a few changes and it's essentially a ready to go setting.
>>
>>52059718
The only problem is that the Guardians and Divine Beasts were also asleep during those hundred years, right?
>>
>>52061343
You really wouldn't need to mess with the Divine Beasts, so you can just keep them dormant.

As for Guardians, I would say they're awake and corrupted. Just have it so that they're more like sentinels. Ganon corrupted them so they're hostile to everything but other Guardians, but they stick to their programmed patrol routes. Have them guard Hyrule castle in force and other locations with sweet loot inside them, like temples or Sheikah outposts or whatever. Makes for outlined dangerous areas and real high risk and high reward situations.

You can justify this in the lore by saying that Ganon's power corrupted the Divine Beasts and the Guardians, but when Zelda sealed him in the castle she cut off his control of them. Since the Divine Beasts need pilots, they're essentially just sitting around doing fuck-all, and the Guardians can only do what they were programmed to do on their own.

You know, guard shit.
>>
>>52061564
Sounds good.

Also, there do appear to be some other ruins of temples throughout the lands - such as the Temple of Time obviously - so those could replace the role that Divine Beasts and Shrines fulfill.
>>
>>52062636
I think Shrines are good as an idea in an RPG (they are just mini-dungeons by and large) and one could easily remodel and stuff the Divine Beasts into being more dungeonesque with more monsters and stuff to fight. I still think puzzles should be a big thing but I'm not too sure how these work out on the table 9 times out of 10.
>>
>>52063506
Right, but the Shrines were dormant before Link was awoken. A few NPCs mention that.

I've used plenty of Zelda-style puzzles in my campaigns for other systems and settings. They usually work out well.
>>
>>52063563
It could be that no one else could really get lucky enough to find a Shiekah Slate, locking the shrines off. Alternatively, you could run with Calamity Ganon's rampage having affected all the magitek making it so that things didn't lock or work...but you need to do some things before you can take full advantage.

That said, getting a Sheikah Slate would be a BIG DEAL in terms of being an adventurer. Accessing shrines, getting the runes, fast travel, a handheld encyclopedia, that thing is an adventurer's best friend!
>>
>>52050195
I THOUGHT THIS PICTURE WAS A JOKE
HOW WRONG I WAS
>>
>>52064410
Right. I'm not far in the game, but the vibe seems to be that only destined people get Sheikah Slates.

I also like the idea of the campaign straight up having the premise that the players can't even permanently defeat threats facing their settlements or the land - because the blood moon will bring the monsters back - but they can still change things and protect what remains. (They can also scare away monsters and intimidate them from harassing villages and what not.) I like the feeling of knowing your contributions add up, even if they aren't "destiny". Kinda like Rogue One.
>>
>>52064547
The only guys who are more destined than RPG PCs would be Link and the Champs. You're a PC, Destiny is practically a pre-requisite! kappa

Wouldn't know one way or another friendo. Don't have the funds for a Switch or the time to watch someone play the game badly.
>>
File: ReDead_.png (2MB, 1409x2429px) Image search: [Google]
ReDead_.png
2MB, 1409x2429px
bump
>>
>>52062636
Another idea, the Blood Moon is when Ganon gets to be his strongest, right?

So instead of having it be a fancy respawn mechanic in the rpg, have it instead be a time where he has enough power to reach out to some Guardians (but not the Divine Beasts) and urge them to travel outside their patrol routes for that night, making it exceptionally dangerous to travel during the night of the Blood Moon, and to have settlements too close to Guardian controlled areas.

You could have some quests to showcase this, like a family in a village is worried about a group that went off to start a new settlement near a mine that they didn't know held a Guardian guarded temple, and when the party arrives all they see are the burning ruins of the would-be village (and corpses of the settlers, if you want to be extra-dark).
>>
>>52066544
I like the idea of the occasional monster respawn but only at select sites. The rest of the idea is really badass though! Going to steal it (modify it just a bit though) and use it in my Lamentations of the Flame Princess game (I hate my players and how hard it is to make them use new systems besides Pathfinder, Palladium Fantasy, LotFP and 5e...)
>>
>>52067000
>I like the idea of the occasional monster respawn but only at select sites
You could have monsters respawn from the Pools of Malice then.
>>
>>52064547
I just thought that Sheikah slates were common tools for the ancient Sheikah race, and that Link is only considered "destined" for having one because there would be no slates out there for anyone to find, since the Royal family excavated and claimed pretty much all the old Sheikah technology.
>>
>>52059281
I think you'd have to look at magic in few different ways, seeing as there tend to be three different forms of magic in the series as a whole. Hylian spells tend to be given down from their goddess, and the various spirits around them. Typically focused on sealing or damaging evil creatures, and otherwise buffing or supporting other people.

There's the typical sort of all-around utility based abilities that allow for the crafting of magical items and potions, which could be a nifty class in and of itself.

And lastly, the weird, sometimes offensive spells that border on true offense, like those used by the Yiga clan in breath of the wild, and the Sheikah at different points in the history. Ninja-shit, and other stuff that borders on the edge of evil.
>>
>>52067898
There's a lot of shit involving the natural elements too, though it appears to have later been co-opted by the Godess(es)
>>
>>52047052
Well considering just how centered the universe can be on Link, it would be difficult to have a full party of people being impactful.

Plus the chickens would instantly be utilized by players for ridiculous stuff. And don't even get me started on what happens if they get a hold of the Triforce.
>>
What would Hylia's domains be?
>>
>>52068408
definitely Light
>>
>>52068408
Light and maybe Time?
>>
>>52063506
>I still think puzzles should be a big thing but I'm not too sure how these work out on the table 9 times out of 10.
Lots of visual representation, I imagine.
>>
>>52047052
Did you mean Breath of the Dropped Frames?
>>
>>52069165
Nobody cares.
>>
>>52069184
The lag is actually one of the game's biggest issues though, especially on Wii U.
>>
>>52069982
As someone playing the WiiU version, it's really not that major deal. The WiiU and Switch versions have the same FPS kind of issues, but it's mostly having to due with the game buffering rather than losing frames during huge combat.

It took over two dozen moblins intentionally kited around together to be in a group before I got frames loss due to active content instead of buffering content.
>>
>>52070223
I lose frames all the time on the Wii U. At stables, in villages, and even in combat with Bokoblins.

Sometimes, when I send enemies flying with heavy hits from hammers and claymores, the game will just stop dead for a couple of seconds. The first time this happened I thought it froze.
>>
File: 1488354289782.jpg (1MB, 1280x985px) Image search: [Google]
1488354289782.jpg
1MB, 1280x985px
>>52069982
I've been playing since launch night and it's not been a concern for me. Slight drop on rare occasion but meh.
>>
>>52050195
>Why can't I keep using my favorite sword?
I think that is exactly the reason. It forces you to look out for resources and step out from your comfort zone of relying only on one weapon.

Although it was quite shocking, I have grown to like it because it affects the game feel so positively.
>>
>>52070430
I feel like there could be a middle ground though. You can enhance your clothing with a Great Fairy, why not have a Great Fairy that will do the same for you weapons? You could gather resources to give them different effects like enhanced durability or critical damage, like you find on rare weapons.

Is that already a thing in the game? I've only found the one Great Fairy and the horse god.
>>
>>52070496
Actually the more I think about it the more I think it might be a thing already. It makes sense. Four Great Fairies, one for clothes, one for weapons, one for shields, one for bows.

I'll be disappointed if that isn't the case.
>>
>>52070496
I'm not sure if that is a thing in any manner. Would be nice to have but haven't seen anything like that yet. Great Fairies will make you disappointed.

Hovewer, there are some weapons that can be reforged at certain places with certain materials.

That horse god though, it was reeeaaally scary if you ask from me.
>>
>>52070624
Horse god threw me for a loop, which is probably what they were going for with the hands and all.
>>
File: COver.jpg (402KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
COver.jpg
402KB, 612x792px
Quick cover design I whipped up. Feedback?
>>
File: COver.jpg (407KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
COver.jpg
407KB, 612x792px
>>52070785
Fuck, chose an old design by mistake
>>
>>52070802
Looks neat.
>>
>>52070802
I like it, but it seems a little, I don't know, plain, I guess? Like aside from the big triforce and "ZELDA" it's just your average fantasy castle.
>>
>>52070264
I oft play in gamepad mode at times and don't even get this. Perhaps this is relating to the different hardware version releases of the WiiU?

Granted, my console has far less use-wear than many people. Or I'm actually an ork and generating a psychic WAAAGH! field.

>>52070430
I find myself wanting a house to store weapons in just to display them.

>>52070802
The yellow used in the font looks really shitty with that texture, since it's shading with black instead of hue-shifting.
>>
>>52071104
I've had my Wii U for less than a year, and I've never played it much aside from Smash with friends. I guess I'll just upgrade to the Switch when I can, even though the game won't be the same since I'll have already experienced so much of it.

I long for the day when selective memory wipes are possible.
>>
>>52071104
>I find myself wanting a house to store weapons in just to display them.
Then go buy one. 3000 rupees isn't too hard to get if you mine for ores, gamble and just generally explore.
>>
>>52070802
I like it but might I suggest moving the main tile to the bottom and shrinking the sub-text there some?
>>
>>52071578
I get money easily because I don't really make elixirs so I just sell monster parts.
>>
>>52066544
Awesome. Totally using this in something even if not Zelda
>>
>>52067000
>>52072448
Cool. I'm glad you guys like it so much.
>>
>>52071953
would probably make more money if you made elixirs and sold them
>>
File: 1467204975840.jpg (32KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1467204975840.jpg
32KB, 400x300px
>>52072590
>>
>>52072586
Agreed. It's a really cool mechanic.
>>
>>52050195
I've also heard the stamina meter is not well done and the controls are sorta awful (And can't be modified because Nintendo are morons)
>>52070430
Nah, fuck you, they could have made durability a temporary thing at least, let you repair things back in towns.

I'll wait for a potentially hacked ROM with repair mechanics even if it takes a decade.
>>
>>52074760
Best of luck missing out on best game, anon.

Now, back to the RPG!
>>52070802
Nice! I really like it.
>>
>>52074760
I think letting you hold on to weapons for too long would be too rpg-esque.
>>
File: Cover3.jpg (404KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
Cover3.jpg
404KB, 612x792px
>>52071104
Yeah, now that you mention it. I changed it to a more traditional red and I think it looks a lot better.
>>
>>52076208
Yeah that's way better.

I still think it needs a more unique backdrop though.
>>
>>52076208
The art ismy uniquely zelda and it's very stagnant and lifeless looking. The cover needs to draw more interest
>>
>>52077315
Isnt, not ismy
>>
So what race would you play in a Zelda rpg?

I'm torn between Hylian and Rito.
>>
>>52077729
Windwaker Bokoblin.

I like the mix of tusks and horns and the big cleavers.
>>
>>52077794
Can Bokoblins even be intelligent?

Or nice?
>>
Honestly I think BotWs new mechanics are perfect for making a Zelda tabletop game. Having magic, stamina, and health all be factors provides different builds, and the inclusion of cooking and elixirs allows players to compensate for weaknesses with creativity. Not to mention the new armor and weapon mechanics, taking horses, etc

You could have a chef in the party, or a potion master, and more. Perhaps a BotW edition of the tabletop should be made to start fresh.
>>
>>52066544
>Blood moon soon, fellow hero!
>Oh really? When?
>NOW.
>>
>>52078135
I think BotW definitely lends itself to being adapted as ttrpg, if for no other reason that how expansive and interesting its world is. I definitely like its takes on the races, with the changes to the Gerudo being pretty welcome. If you still want your band of Gerudo thieves/pirates you can just have them exist as a different faction to the main town.

However it just feels kind of wrong to get rid of the work that's been done so far.
>>
>>52078221
I'd say take the core mechanics of the tabletop so far, like the wisdom/courage/power system, while dropping g what doesn't work and adding the new stuff, like detailed cooking and crafting. The addition of chefs and alchemists to the system will be a very welcome change. Not to mention far more potential loot, like body parts from monsters, etc. I know for a fact that any chef PC that can give the party a meal so good that it gives them temp hearts will be a welcome addition.

So instead of classes, the game could have professions, which affect what you can do out of combat: forging and repairing weapons, blessing items, foraging, lockpicking, hunting, selling, cooking, etc.

Plus it encourages players to think of their PCs as having a life outside of adventuring. It allows for fun character development
>>
>>52078333
Stamina would also be a fantastic way to balance a rito being able to fly: have it cost stamina.
>>
>>52078130
I don't know, I just love their visual design. I realize that to keep the rating down Zelda games harshly delineate between "People" species and "Monster" species but I find that a bit of a detriment.
>>
>>52071578
>Then go buy one
I didn't even know this was a thing I could do!

>>52072590
Did the game get patched? Three hyland shroom kabab used to heal 6 or 7 hearts and now it's down to three. What are some good bang-for-buck foods and elixirs to sell?

>>52074760
The stamina meter is pretty nonissue. Running isn't meant to be your main mode of transportation, it's there to limit your ability to spam running and charge attacks in combat. You can use a horse, or even glide for incredibly long distances without upgrading stamina once. (Or even shield-surf.) Jump-climbing sacrifices stamina for speed, and is meant to not be stamina efficient.(You can get often double the climb distance normally without jumping)

I saw options to adjust controls in the system screen, but I personally had no issues with anything. The only thing that took me a bit to get used to was using runes and throwing in combat, and that's only because I'm very lazy about using shoulder buttons compared to triggers.

There are a lot of features in the game that are discovered and earned instead of given, and not everything has been discovered or documented yet.

>>52076208
An improvement. Agreeing that we need a bit something more to make it look definitively zelda without the logo being there. I realize you might not be an artist, but if you can shop death mountain behind one of the left mountains, maybe put something in the foreground like a log or rock with a quiver, bow, and shield leaning against it and a sword stabbed into the ground. Something that implies an adventurer like Link, you know?

>>52078135
>>52078221
There's no need to scrap everything, as most of any addons provided by BotW are thematic, and mechanical additions are more expansions(and improvements) of previous mechanics and supplementary.
>>
>>52078577
>most of any addons provided by BotW are thematic, and mechanical additions are more expansions

I'd say stamina, weapon durability, cooking, and crafting are pretty huge and core updates to the system. We don't need to scrap the whole thing, but I do feel like we need to rework it to better fit these new and mostly desired mechanics.
>>
>>52078577
>The stamina meter is pretty nonissue. Running isn't meant to be your main mode of transportation, it's there to limit your ability to spam running and charge attacks in combat. You can use a horse, or even glide for incredibly long distances without upgrading stamina once. (Or even shield-surf.) Jump-climbing sacrifices stamina for speed, and is meant to not be stamina efficient.(You can get often double the climb distance normally without jumping)
I meant mixing the glider and the climbing so they both need stamina, forcing you to abandon a climb because there's no safe way down.

My friends said a LOT of contradictory controls like drop/throw/block/sheath/attack are all next to each other and easy to goof up.
>>
>>52078794
I assume that "Mostly" was meant to exclude durability?
>>
>>52078851
Some might not like it, but I personally do. I could see it being a fine optional but I doubt most people would keep track of it in game
>>
>>52078577
>There's no need to scrap everything, as most of any addons provided by BotW are thematic, and mechanical additions are more expansions(and improvements) of previous mechanics and supplementary.

I disagree. I strongly think, just like other anons, that cooking food, brewing elixirs, crafting items, etc. warrants a mechanical representation in the system that also necessitates the addition of new skills to represent them. Right now, there's no clear skill for any of these.

I'm also not even sure I like the current skill system, but it's acceptable. I don't know how I'd do it better.

>>52078356
>>52078794
Stamina is ALREADY in the system, though. I don't know what these people are upset about.
>>
>>52078851
Weapon durability doesn't have to be as severe as it is in Breath of the Wild, but I do really like it. It pushes the fact that the world is fragile, that you're always scrambling for purchase and to maintain your advantage, it creates more varied gameplay, encourages players to experiment with weapons, and cultivates a mood of tension and preparation.

For the tabletop, we can tone it down, but I do like weapons having durability. We can also add repair and reinforcing mechanics, too.
>>
>>52078899
>I could see it being a fine optional but I doubt most people would keep track of it in game
Maybe have degradation rolls after a fight.

The more successful degradation rolls you get, the larger the degradation dice pool gets, and eventually you'll hit the number of success you'll need to break that weapon. More durable weapons need more successes to break. Repairing your weapon decreases the pool and the successes you have against you and enhancing it ups the maximum amount of attacks you can do before rolling for degradation, as well have increasing the number of successes you need. Exceptional successes won't count against you.

Full disclosure, I'm a total noob and don't know a lot about ttrpg mechanics.
>>
>>52078976
>cooking food, brewing elixirs, crafting items
Skills are definetly the way to go for this, so should we just add Cook (W), Brew (S), and Craft (S)? And should each dish/elixir/craft being crafted have a minimum number of successes required?
>>
>>52079461
I think this is a pretty good idea, actually. I also think it works better as an optional system, as weapons degradation is brand new to the series and I'm not sure how much people will like it if they're trying to replicate the feel of the older Zeldas.
>>
>>52079482
I agree that skills are not a bad way to do it in the current system. I'm not a huge fan of the skill system - I dislike massive lists of skills you assign points to, and I'm not even sure why, it's just so ugly to me - but it requires the least modification and it works the best.

If I had my choice, I'd link skills to items you have. If you're a cook, you have a soup ladle, and that ladle gives you a unique bonus to cooking. If you don't have a skill bonus, you just roll your attribute scores as default.
>>
>>52079482
>>52079588

Maybe professions like one anon suggested is a good idea: let players have specialties for non combat related systems, but allow their combat skills be reliant on stats. This would let characters have a role, but all of them feel more equal in combat. So instead of healer, tank, and dps, you have the guy who makes good food, one great at elixirs, and one who makes armor and weapons.
>>
Rolled 3, 5 = 8 (2d6)

>>52047052
c
>>
>>52078829
You can activate your glider one time while having drained stamina while falling for those rare cases where you're bouldering instead of climbing a vertical or incline face.

Granted, I don't have the switch version, but on wiiU drop is A(or B to quickdrop and proceed to run) throw is R, Block is LZ, sheathing is done by pressing B, and attack is Y. I don't really understand how this is complex or easy to goof up, especially when the game gives on-screen reminders for when you're doing contextual things like object throwing. If you're friends are on WiiU, then they're simply inept.

>>52078794
>>52078976
My point was more about how we don't need to totally redo a lot of things in order to add what amounts pre-conflict inventory management. Crafting is important and adds a lot of character interaction depth, but not so much that we need to redo a vast amount of content to facilitate it. It's very much "addon" tier as far as content goes.

Remember, we're designing a TTRPG where the DM is the one mostly in control. We cannot just 1:1 translate mechanics, that's how previous versions became fucked up and bloated.

Big relevant example is crafting. In BotW there are no limitations besides your foreknowledge and the items you have on hand. This is something that would not translate properly to a TTRPG, due to how easy it is to metagame it intentionally or unintentionally. We would have to implement a way to limit progression beyond the item requirements(most likely in the form of skillcheck based on recipe-tier level). We answer "but Link gets to do that" by replying that he's the reincarnated hero embodiment of courage and that you're comparing a level 3 character to a level 20+ character in D&D who is most favored by the goddess(es).
>>
>>52079830
Right. I'm not saying we need an intricate system. I literally just want Cook, Brew, and Craft to become skills. I don't think we need anything beyond that.
>>
>>52079513
It definitely isn't for everyone, but I think durability would be a must for people who want to play a BotW edition.
>>
>>52079930
A durability system but with the option to repair equipment at a certain cost (rubees, materials, skills, whatever).
>>
>>52079955
Yes, the ability to repair only makes sense for the tabletop.
>>
>>52079955
>>52080001

Maybe the Craft skill could also allow attempts to repair the weapon, with each success restoring some of the durability
>>
>>52079955
Yeah paying to fix weapons or having a party member who can fix it with ores and such sounds like a good compromise.
>>
>>52080012
>>52080016
Exactly what I was thinking. You could also reforge weapons, too.
>>
>>52080012
Unless you're caravaning and keep an anvil and forge in one of your wagons, good luck with that.
>>
>>52080043
Well, we don't want it to be too easy. Make it only doable in settlements, towns, etc. That way durability is still a concern, and it makes more sense to stick close to towns.
>>
>>52080059
You can always add in a traveling goron smith with a huge iron forge strapped to his back.

Point of this, for me at least, is it being optional.
You can have durability and the option to repair certain weapons, or skip it all together.
How it is done in each game, is up to the GM.
>>
>>52080043
Having players do their skills through visiting towns sounds great actually. Just like in BotW, players can do their crafting in town, or by using a cleared camp's crafting station. If you could just immediately repair your stuff when it breaks, then it loses those stakes.
>>
>>52080093
Yeah, that's a dope character!
>>
>>52080043
It doesn't have to make perfect sense. Just have weapon repair kits as disposable items that allow you to roll to lightly repair while out in the wild.
>>
>>52080145
>>52080043

Also, this setting has literal magic.
>>
>>52047052
Interestingly, I think that BotW included all of the things that kept being kept out of the RPG because it was too un-Zelda-like.

I remember the discussions going back and forth whether some things should be included in the game just because it's pretty common in other RPGs. But with all of the crafting, the upgrading and scaling weapons and gear all over and the wide variety of items going around, it really gives a lot to work into the system.

Running out of things to add in and talk about was one of the reasons the project stalled, too.
>>
>>52080346
It's ironic how BotW could breathe new life to this system. Now we don't have to worry about mechanics such as finding random hearts to heal, etc. We finally have the groundwork for a Zelda system that, as of now, no longer needs to stray too far from the gameplay to work
>>
In my headcanon Hylia was once a mortal who got her hands on the Triforce and by wishing to protect her people and her world was granted godhood.
>>
>>52080439
Right. It's nice that someone can play Breath of the Wild and get an immediate sense of how this system is going to play as well.

It's also nice because we have other entries to mix in as well - such as being able to introduce puzzle items like grappling hooks and boomerangs alongside the mechanics of Breath of the Wild.
>>
Here's how I think weapons durability should work based on what we've said so far.
>After every combat encounter, you add 1d to the durability pool and roll it
>If the number of successes is greater than the weapon's durability, it breaks.
>You can make a Craft roll to repair the weapon, each success removes 1d from the next durability pool.

Illustrating with an example:
>A mid-range, mundane sword (i.e. the Soldier's Broadsword from BotW) has a durability of 5.
>After using the Soldier's Broadsword for 3 combat encounters, you make a Craft roll to repair it.
>Your Craft skill is at 3d, two of which come up successes, reducing the durability pool to 1d

My next question is: Should it be possible to restore a weapon at all once it's actually broken?
>>
>>52080566
My main problem with this is that a well-cared for sword should not break that readily. It's cute in videogames, but the quality of iron this represents is stuff that would be considered literal garbage even in the first iron age.
>>
>>52047832
Nobody cares about you.
>>
>>52080566

Here's my idea that adds as little to this system as possible:

When a weapon breaks, it becomes a number of pieces of scrap, half of its durability (rounded down, or we keep durability numbers even). Making a weapon from scrap means you have to add up a number of pieces of scrap equal to the durability of the weapon you want to make.

In addition, you can make a weapon with excess scrap, and the excess scrap becomes a durability bonus.

For example, a Traveler's Sword could have (just a random number) 3 Durability. So it makes 1 scrap when it breaks. This means you need three broken Traveler's Swords in order to make one new Traveler's Sword. If you had four broken Traveler's Sword, you could make a Traveler's Sword with +1 Durability, using the excess scrap.
>>
>>52080617
We can just make Durability numbers high.
>>
>>52080566
>>52080617
The Dark Eye has a system that if you roll a critical failure you ahve to roll on a table to see if your weapons break.

If we do a similar thing, not checking after every encounter but rather whenever you whack your sword against another hard object, its "life points" decrease and once the reach zero it breaks. Smithing and crafting restores those points.
>>
>>52080665
I like that system a lot. Making critical failures lower durability just makes sense.

I was also thinking durability could be a cost, too. For example, parrying could cost durability, as could some Techniques.
>>
>weapon durability
>gathering and crafting shit to get money
In a fucking Zelda game. Open world survival is absolute cancer only topped by DLCs on release day and coop.
Also they advertise it with 'open world'. Wasn't it always open world? I only ever play the n64 titles and windwaker (the game boy game) and they seemed pretty open to me...
>>
>>52080823
Not nearly as open as Breath of the Wild.

You can get money without gathering and crafting, just like always.

Durability is fun.
>>
>>52080823
It's not a "You have to constantly find resources to keep yourself from starving, build a base and craft your weapons" open world game.

The weapons you pick up break after a certain point, some sooner some later.
Instead of picking up hearts, you pick up lots of different foods off the ground, either eat them raw or roast em, or cook em for later. And you only take them in when you lose hearts.
After the tutorial, the world is completely open. It tells you where you might go if you want to follow the plot, but you can go any fucking where too.

Though a bunch of areas will have enemies that kick the ever loving shit out of you.
>>
>>52080566
>Should it be possible to restore a weapon at all once it's actually broken?
I would say yes. It would suck if you had a sweet magic weapon and it broke just because you like using it.

I would balance it out by needing rare material and a highly skilled craftsman to completely repair it from a broken state though.
>>
>>52080823
>windwaker (the game boy game)
Faggot who doesn't know what he's talking about and/or troll confirmed
>>
>>52080823
The survival elements are very light. It isn't Zelda minecraft. You don't starve, and you don't sell shit you craft. Weapon durability isn't so bad, and stops becoming a big issue when you start finding stronger weapons with buffs and increasing your inventory space. Also the world is truly open. Go wherever you want, whenever you want. No rails or required items to get into the next area.

It might seem like a bad move to you, but I think shaking things up like this was pure genius. It was either make some changes or stick to the old formula with new gimmicks thrown in every now and then.
>>
>>52047052
One of the first D&D 3.5e campaigns I ever ran was a 4-player adaptation of Majora's Mask. Went pretty well, and I learned a lot about the differences in what is a challenge for one dude and what is a challenge for 4.
>>
>>52080639
ehhh, looking at this idea more, I don't know if I like having to track scrap in your inventory... that just feels lame. And now that I look at it it really does add too much to the system probably...

Any better ideas?
>>
File: Zelda_tg_characterdesigns.png (4MB, 3846x594px) Image search: [Google]
Zelda_tg_characterdesigns.png
4MB, 3846x594px
Hey guys, the moment I saw the op image I had to come back and check this out. I drew a bunch of races a long time ago for this homebrew and I'm be super down to draw for it again!
>>
>>52083713
Wow, cool art!

I'd love some images of BotW style Ritos, since they look so different from Wind Waker style, if you could.
>>
File: DannyDeGoron.png (92KB, 632x898px) Image search: [Google]
DannyDeGoron.png
92KB, 632x898px
>>52083748
Sure thing, give me abit. If anyone else wants to throw character ideas out go for it I'll be here for awhile.
>>
>>52083713
Wow, awesome! I'm the anon who did the cover art higher up the thread, Do you maybe have transparent versions of these I could use to maybe start doing racial pages? Also seconded on the BotW style Rito.
>>
>>52083808
Thanks! I'll see if I can come up with any character ideas, too.
>>
>>52083808
To represent the discussion from earlier, it might be fun to have some art for an alchemist, chef, and blacksmith, all using BotW style races. (Maybe Human, Gerudo, and Goron respectively?)
>>
File: WIPRito.png (399KB, 980x685px) Image search: [Google]
WIPRito.png
399KB, 980x685px
>>52083877
>>52083840
>>52083748
Heres a WIP on a Rito Chief.
>>
File: Kassgif.gif (2MB, 316x500px) Image search: [Google]
Kassgif.gif
2MB, 316x500px
>>52083877

Oh I was just about to suggest that the system have 'professions' since classes are not a thing. So rather than have fighters, mages, etc, you have blacksmiths, tailors, bards, alchemists, hunters and chefs.

>Alchemist: Can craft bombs, elixirs, and create explosive and elemental arrows with the right components.
>Chefs: Can cook food that provides buffs, heals hearts, and even provide temp hearts when the meal is especially good. Can also forage fairly well.
>Blacksmith: Can forge, repair, and upgrade weapons. Needs ores to do so.
>Tailor/Armorsmith: Can create, repair, and upgrade armor. With the right materials, they can also give armor special properties.
>Bards: Bards have unique instruments that can provide buffs and magic spells through the power of music. They must collect the songs to use them.
>Hunters: Are experts at tracking, foraging, hunting, and taming wild animals. May have a deeper connection with faerie folk. These guys usually are the best at extracting monster parts as well without destroying them.

Any that should be added/removed?
>>
>>52084058
I don't think the system wants professions / classes. We want to keep it as simple as possible, and specializing in skills already feels like professions for the most part, since so many are practical.

Alchemist would specialize in Brewing, Chef in Cooking, Blacksmith/Tailor/Armorsmith in Crafting, Bards in Instruments, Hunters in Survival.

The class doesn't add much.
>>
>>52080691
>I was also thinking durability could be a cost, too. For example, parrying could cost durability, as could some Techniques.
I like this idea
>>
>>52084117
I have to agree, I think a simple specialization option would serve the purpose of professions just as well.
>>
>>52084117
>>52084167
I actually suggested NOT to add classes. I agree that it doesn't really have a place in a Zelda game.

But professions certainly do. It helps to have some kind of core trait for players to focus on so that they can define their character in some way. Since we won't have the traditional fighter/wizard/thief/cleric archetypes to allow the players freedom to approach problems creatively, it might be a good idea to give players an anchor via professions to help figure out who their character is.

For example, a Bard in this game could be the flirting sweet talker full of charisma that is typically associated with the title, or maybe the are a quiet mage that is focused more on their craft and recording stories rather than preforming them.

I am just suggesting these specializations to prevent players from having no starting point to work with, or anything that can set them apart from their fellow party members aside from numbers and equipment.
>>
File: RitoChief.png (179KB, 1220x1020px) Image search: [Google]
RitoChief.png
179KB, 1220x1020px
>>52083827
I'll dig around for the source file for the transparent pngs.

Also enjoy your birdperson cook.
>>
>>52083713
what races should be promoted to playable.

we have the obvious ones to start
Hylian & various tribes
Gerudo
Zora
Goron
Rito
Korok

then we get to enemy races like
Deku Scrubs
Lizalfos
Darknuts
various Blins

and then the one offs like
Minish
Twili
kokiri
>>
>>52083808
I've always wanted to see the Lizalfos get fleshed out, maybe a mixed breed tribe of sorts for the various designs they've had
>>
File: ZeldaStuff.png (447KB, 3284x940px) Image search: [Google]
ZeldaStuff.png
447KB, 3284x940px
>>52084288
I actually doodled up a concept for a Lizalfos, but this was well before BotW was coming out.
>>
>enemy loot drops often include their guts
man Link is merciless
>>
>>52084167
Right. Maybe it could just be as simple as "When you roll for a skill covered under your specialization, remove a die from the pool and begin with a success." In other words, one of your dice will 'always' be a hit.

>>52084159
Thanks. Here's how I'd alter Parry:

>Parry
Roll Wits + Melee to parry an attack. If you roll more successes than your opponent does, the attack is deflected, and you're able to put the enemy in a disadvantageous position, giving you a +1 bonus to your dice pool the next time you attack that enemy before their next turn.

However, parrying has a chance to damage your weapon, from the force it must withstand to do so. If your weapon was smaller, its durability is reducedb y one. And if your offhand wasn't free, its durability is reduced by one again, as you are unable to reinforce the parry with both your hands.

-

Now we don't need the offhand bonus to balance it. Instead, not having an offhand simply means you put more force on the blade, rather than yourself.

>>52084201
A mechanical representation of professions is not needed to give players a "starting point to work with" or "[something] that can set them apart". That stuff can be done with roleplay. Your profession's specialty is represented through your skills, and your profession's approach to problem-solving is represented through how you play your character.

Characters aren't solely set apart by numbers and equipment - this is a role-playing game, and the role you choose to play is also a part of how you are unique. Just because there isn't a mechanical representation of profession doesn't mean that players won't define what their character's profession is. Their backstories and story explanation for their skillsets will naturally lead players to assume these kinds of roles in a party.

Now, I'm not saying we shouldn't represent it mechanically - it's not a bad idea, by any means. (As I suggested above.) I just don't find your points particularly compelling, to be frank.
>>
>>52084303
neat, that Zora a cute
I see them being diverse fuckers
the Gekko like skyward guys would still be mostly defensive gauntlet guys
the skink like OOT ones still dualists
the Chameleon like BotW ones can be the lightning focused ones as lightning lizalfos are the only ones that make visible use of the horn (as a conductor)

Aerolfos and Dinolfos can still fill their own elite niche
>>
>>52084201
Class is short for classification. You're suggesting we classify characters by profession.
>>
>>52084348
If we do art of Airalfos, I only have one suggestion... can they please be Pteranodon based? It kills me that they're literally just winged newt things.
>>
File: giant horse.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
giant horse.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>52084400
I don't see why not. The monster designs have changed pretty radically over the years. Only the bokoblins in the last few years have radically changed (and one could argue the chuchus have returned to their original blobby goodness from the original games).

Now have the biggest horse in the series to date!
>>
File: Rito.jpg (5MB, 2550x3301px) Image search: [Google]
Rito.jpg
5MB, 2550x3301px
Here's an example page for a racial template. Thoughts? It's looking a little sparse but I didn't know what more to add other than some kind of border.
>>
>>52085596
P.S. I'm also not entirely sure what the previous creators intended for "wind sense" but I just took it as-is from the previous pdf.
>>
>>52083713
Do you still associate with that autistic douchebag who made that failure of a flash cartoon?

>>52084303
Your Lizalfos here is pretty boring, on both a lizard design standpoint and character design. He's the only one besides the meme on there that isn't dressed up somehow, just having a vest with no detail.
>>
File: ss+(2017-03-08+at+09.56.58).jpg (603KB, 1779x869px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-03-08+at+09.56.58).jpg
603KB, 1779x869px
>>52085596
The background is way too strong of a texture, that contrast has to be brought down a lot, it dominates the page.

If you're using a textured background you're going to want intricate design elements, beyond just the geometric things going on there. Referring to Zelda games for design elements - maybe the Minish Cap, Wind Waker, and Four Swords Adventures menus, which all had very strong and distinctive 'Zelda' styling - is a good idea.

The textured approach gets by on being artistic and vivid and exciting. Every page is a work of art in its own right. Ryuutama is a greate example of such an approach - it's in the middle of the picture I've attached.

On the other hand, this approach requires more art elements, more design know-how, and it can be very busy. You can go more minimal, with Zelda design elements but not much else... but that means getting rid of the texture. The second you have a detailed texture, you HAVE to break it up with other intricate elements on the page. Right now, I see "one giant image in the background", and it hurts my brain to see anything else on top of that. A more subtle background and more elements in the foreground helps me see the foreground for what it is - the important part. The background currently pops as 'important' even though it isn't.

For an example of a more minimal approach with design elements, there's Masks. The playbooks are all available online http://www.magpiegames.com/masks/masks-playbooks-moves/ so you can check it out yourself. My attached picture also has a Masks page, the left page.

Lastly, you can go UBER minimal. This means you're going to keep three colors, two fonts, and a single design element, and that's everything on your palette. Apocalypse World, on the right of my image, represents this. They actually went monochromatic, with frayed borders, and two fonts.

In addition, to be clear, you CAN use other design elements, but only VERY rarely. Like, for chapter breaks, or splash pages.
>>
File: Rito2.jpg (3MB, 2550x3301px) Image search: [Google]
Rito2.jpg
3MB, 2550x3301px
>>52085886
I turned the opacity way way down, so it just basically now looks like off-white paper rather than a texture, akin to your middle example. Like the middle example, I think a border will also help.
>>
>>52086039
Yeah, this looks a lot better! It actually looks a lot better than I expected. I think this could be kept as-is, if the border of the box was one with a thicker line, to match with the red line under 'Rito'.
>>
>>52086039
Pretty good!
>>
>>52086039
I like it, even though the art is a little weird.
>>
>>52085159
>that horse

I've already caught that one. Named it Blaze, after a huge super strong retard from the Bachman books and because of its fiery mane.
>>
>>52084273
Garo
>>
>>52084273
Subrosian
>>
>exploring hyrule castle looking for that one memory
>have ancient arrows and mighty lynel bows to deal with those pesky guardians
>climb into turret room
>surprise moblin
>panic and shoot it with ancient arrow
>it doesn't just die and blow up
>it gets sucked into a fucking singularity

I love this game.
>>
File: Zelda Breath of the Wild.jpg (381KB, 1516x2047px) Image search: [Google]
Zelda Breath of the Wild.jpg
381KB, 1516x2047px
>>52088396
lol, that's awesome. I actually just killed my first Lynel a while ago but I spent several fairies doing so...
>>
>>52088763
I've only killed two.

Well, the same one twice. Fucking Blood Moon.
>>
>>52047743
Of course they are. It's Zelda; the lowest its EVER gotten is 8.8. It has an extreme fanbase with nostalgia goggles the size of drink coasters and about as opaque. And I'm not saying the game is bad, I'm just saying that its not as good as they scream it is, and they're very likely to ignore issues it has because of the name. Ordinary open world sandbox game issues, which are still a problem in this game, are ignored because its the first game like this in the zelda line.

Yahtzee is so far the only person I've seen to give it an actual balanced review; pointing out the flaws while still stating that it is a worthy and fun game.
>>
>>52074760
Don't worry, CEMU says they'll have the game ready to run on emulators in 3 months at most.
>>
>>52089318
The game definitely has some problems, but it's still amazing, and in my opinion does open world really well.
>>
>>52088763
Pick up your shield faggot. Turns out it's not that scary that way.

>>52085159
Where the fuck do you find that?

>>52084303
Lizalfos isn't lanky enough.
>>
>>52090250
>Where the fuck do you find that?
There are unique mount quests. You can find the one for that horse around the western region.
>>
How can one capture that clean comfy ghibli-esque aesthetic/tone in a game?
>>
>>52091208
Silly GM.
>>
>>52047832
Eh, I generally don't mind a 10/10 for really fantastic games, because 10/10 really does mean 9/10 in all practical terms (nothing is perfect, ect ect.)
>>
>>52091998
Skyrim also got amazing reviews practically all across the board. Am I the only one that was disappointed in it.
>>
>>52091868
Is that all it takes? A GM to be silly and not take things seriously?
>>
>>52093122
No.
>>
>>52093208
Then what?

In a world of cynicism I just want to run a feel good adventure romp in the vein of Ghibli or Zelda!
>>
>>52093233
Sounds like what you need is a silly GM.
>>
>>52093260
I want to be that GM! Tell me how to be silly! I fear my silly died with my childhood.
>>
>>52070269
>ywn be abducted and raped by a 7 foot tall dark skinned redhead muscular warrior woman
>>
>>52093292
Dig deep inside you and find that spark, that well of childish energy and enthusiasm.

And also probably go see a therapist.
>>
>>52093358
I mean is it only a silly GM? It's not so much silly as soft? Those kinds of worlds are just soft in nature.
>>
>>52093307
Ironically that's not how Gerudo operate in the game at all.

Spoilers for people who want to figure it out themselves.

They're still an all female Amazon race full of warriors, but they aren't bandits and such anymore. Many of them want to leave Gerudo Town to find men to marry, although it's something of a challenge since they have no clue how to interact with men, seeing as men are banned from Gerudo Town because tradition and because men are intimidated by their appearance. It's executed very well, imo, and cute. There is actually a class some of them take to learn how to act around the much smaller men of the world.
>>
>>52093396
Sounds like something you should ask your therapist.
>>
>>52093520
If only Ganondorf had been born in these times.
MIght not have turned into such a shithead.
>>
>>52093615
Another spoiler.

Ganon in the game is just a force of primal evil, who was rumored to once take the form of a Gerudo, not actually be born as one. I haven't beat the game yet so I have no clue what he'll look like aside from a flying dark cloud boar monster, and I don't want anyone to tell me.
>>
>>52047052
Breath of the Wild is kind of the only Zelda game ever that would work as the inspiration for a tabletop game. All the others (Except the original and Zelda 2) are so linear and reference-based, just collecting the same items over and over and using them in the designated order on the same old puzzles, making you think you're intelligent just because you have a very specific knowledge of how Zelda games work. Introducing other people would lay bare the facade.
>>
>>52093769
When I've done Zelda campaigns in the past, I've just used the Zelda universe and some of the standard tropes, rather than follow the linear formula of the games. I retain the openness and nonlinearity of a normal tabletop game.
>>
>>52091208
I guess you could find some stuff in the Ryuutama rulebook, it's a pretty comfy system
>>
File: 1489021500960.jpg (107KB, 862x1004px) Image search: [Google]
1489021500960.jpg
107KB, 862x1004px
What's the viability for DEX-builds in this game? :3
>>
>>52093769
BotW isn't really any better when it comes to dungeon problem solving. In fact it's worse. The shrines are great mini-puzzles that can push you to get creative with your runes, but the dungeons aren't. I've done three of them so far, and they've all been small, repetitive, simple, and quite frankly, dull. The bosses are terrible and uncreative, and really very simple to beat, requiring only light usage of one rune each. All the times I got stuck for a few minutes was because I didn't see something obvious, not because I actually had to think about the puzzles.

There's no feeling of delving into something dangerous and deep, because the Divine Beasts are all very open, usually just consisting of one big internal chamber where you can pretty much see everything from everywhere, and the exterior. There are also no enemies aside from a handful of mini-Guardians and some things that spawn I guess Black Bubbles, floating monster skulls tainted by the Calamity that you can kill in one hit. You can wipe them all out in short order, and they don't respawn, leaving you with just a big open space, some walkways on the outside, and simple as fuck puzzles.

The only thing I like about them is that they have a creative mechanic where you can move pieces of them via commands from your Sheikah slate to get access to things and places and solve some of the puzzles. It would have been something really cool if the dungeons were worth a shit.

I don't know what they were thinking.
>>
>>52095135
In BotW or the rpg?
>>
Where did everyone go?
>>
>>52099040
We're all playing Zelda man.
>>
>>52099040
I'm still here
>>
I wish the creators would check their Complaints google doc page every now and then. The last five questions were all mine, posted almost a year ago.
>>
File: Hyrulehistoriap1.jpg (269KB, 600x760px) Image search: [Google]
Hyrulehistoriap1.jpg
269KB, 600x760px
>>52086039
Here's a preview page of the Hyrule Historia, offers a good border design I think. With a good scan of the book it might be possible to piece together a template of the same style even.
>>
>>52099681
>cowboy
Don't they mean goatboy?
>>
>>
whats the most current version?
>>
>>52086039
>>52099681
I may have made a mistake, there are a few different page designs that split up the world details, timeline and artwork sections. Examples of each in pic.
>>
>>52100444
>skyward sword
ugh
>>
>>52101068
It's not the worst game (TriForce Heroes I think takes that) but it was extremely limiting and railroady (even by Zelda terms). It did give us Fi, though, and that is cool in my book.
>>
>>52078562
All of these blins in Twilight Princess were pretty intelligent, and there's that one who rethink his whole life after you beat him up a couple of times. I don't think it's unreasonable for some of them to be PC types, particularly if they aren't being influenced by then bbeg of them piece.
>>
>>52057149
>discontinuous encounter mechanics
>rules tailored for fast play
>enjoyable grinding
>ease of navigation in complex dungeon environments
>solid "skills based" combat
>alternative to experience-based levelling
>>
>>52101313
I hated Fi. She was annoying as fuck, and the random dances she did confused the shit out of me.

>i have a message for you master
>AND NOW I MUST DANCE

I also didn't like the changes they made to the lore.

The only good thing about the game was that some of the boss battles were cool.
>>
>>52102054
Wasn't there a story in one of the Zelda games about some chick wanting to get with a blin (I think a moblin)?
>>
File: 290187-1173168686467.jpg (278KB, 950x763px) Image search: [Google]
290187-1173168686467.jpg
278KB, 950x763px
>>
>>52102418
Yeah, in Wind Waker. The moblin sent her "love" letters about how tasty she looked and how badly he wanted to eat her or something. She uh, misinterpreted it.
>>
>>52102175
what changes? they added stuff but didn't alter anything that was there.
>>
>>52047052
Because it was hot garbage.
It was a thinly veiled DnD clone. "Hurr Brawn is totally different from Strength! It's not a copy of existing mechanics at all!"
It was also pretty imbalanced in terms of which stats were useful to invest in and which were not. Some did next to nothing, like Composure. Others were absolutely essential and could not be ignored at all.
The mantra to keep it simple and accessible basically meant that there was hardly any depth at all, and anything that was actually there is just old re-used mechanics from other systems.

Basically it's fucking shit. A Zelda rpg would be nice but this isn't it.
>>
>>52047832
Weird how everyone seems to be ignoring your "Personally". And that 9 is just a single number away. It'd be different if you said 7 or 6, but 9 is so close as to be the same score.

Not to mention in the fucking image posted Easyallies gave it a 4.5/5, which is a 9/10. You do you man.
>>
>>52104697
The additions are what I meant, sorry.
>>
>>52104736
>It'd be different if you said 7 or 6, but 9 is so close as to be the same score.
Not him, but after doing three of the dungeons my score for it has dropped to a 7/10.
>>
Growth in zelda is related to finding items and how many you collect during your play. You start with a few things and steadily gather more. By the end of the game, you should have a whole catalog of stuff, a backpack full of stories you can pull out and tell.

Rather than brawn/agility/guts/etc. just make virtues the personal attributes that define your character. As you make decisions and actions related to a specific virtue, its strength grows. Then you have hearts/magic/stamina which can improve through finding spirit orbs or containers. Otherwise, your character can do anything and use anything as long as they have the right items on hand. Racial traits can make some things easier to do from the start.
>>
>>52104734
Then what would you do, oh Sage of Salt?
>>
>>52104697
Different anon. My gripes with the SS lore:
- Supposed to be the earliest game in the timeline, immedietly puts another long-gone hightech culture in front of it
- Instead of the Master Sword being created it's again already kinda there, just has to be upgraded
- Hylia out of nowhere with no explanation to her character other than she's a goddess that was supposedly always there

And Fi I also didn't like very much, for her lack of character I would usually just not feel anything about her, but her constant butting in, pointing out obvious solutions to obvious puzzles and constant reminding of low batteries got on my nerves.
>>
>>52106460
All of that shit bugged me too, especially the origins of the Master Sword. I would have preferred something like they gathered the Triforce and wished for the power to stop Demise, and so the Master Sword was created from the combined essences of Power, Wisdom, and Courage, with maybe explanations as to what each one gave to the Master Sword. Power, obviously its power to destroy monsters and its status as a powerful weapon. Wisdom, its magic and sealing abilities, and Courage, which adds the requirement that only a true hero with a courageous and pure heart can wield it.

Something along those lines.
>>
File: 1459045641613.jpg (490KB, 723x818px) Image search: [Google]
1459045641613.jpg
490KB, 723x818px
>>52106920
Should have, but still, the story wasn't too bad. I am glad it actually gave us a reason why evil keeps rearing it's head up and requires a Zelda and/or Link to stop it.
>>
>>52107725
Is that Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup?
>>
>>52107763
play more fucking zelda games you newfag
>>
>>52107763
Wisdom, Courage, and everything Powerful
These were the ingredients chosen
To create the perfect little gods
But Demise accidentally
Added an extra ingredients to the concoction--
Evil
Thus, The Powerpuff Gods were born
Using their ultra-super powers
Din, Nayru, and Farore
Have dedicated their lives to fighting crime
And the forces of Ganon
>>
>>52107725
The premise of the story is fine, if a little bit samey to Wind Waker. Its execution and a bunch of other little things about the game bugs me though.

The reincarnation cycle being explained as a result of undying hatred is cool though.
>>
Ran a game set in Hyrule using 5e a little over a year ago. Rab for about six months but it generally worked. Had a fun last fight when one PC got corrupted and ended up becoming Ganon in the end (he even tried to fight Zelda, Link and a retinue of guards on top of the other PCs).
>>
>>52105288
Here is an idea: All skills, such as cooking, brewing, forging, and performing, are available to everyone. But, on character creation, you choose which ones you specialize in. This makes it so that for those skills, you are free to experiment and try new things.

For example, let's say a untrained PC tries cooking. He could make simple dishes, but if he wanted to make something complex, he would need a recipe on hand to really stand a chance at a passable dish. Meanwhile, someone specialized in cooking has more freedom as a chef to throw meals together and have a higher chance at making good meals, or making their own recipes.

Most races have a racial specialty they can choose (Like gorons with forging and mining or whatever as choices ) and have an extra specialty they can take at creation. Hylians benefit JK being able to choose any two specialties they want.

Thoughts?
>>
>>52108534
I like the idea of racial specialties, but I liked the idea of having them as professions, like who your character was before they got the call to adventure.
>>
>>52108534
As long as the races get specialties for those professions that are "locked" to them (a Zora and Goron could both be smiths, for example, but the Goron could never make Zora armor and the Zora could never make a Biggoron sword, etc)
>>
>>52109461
That could be a good thing. BotW introduced some new things like the Rito get special bows, Gorons have a special spice for their meals (which I think still consists mostly of rocks and stuff) and Hylians have adapted to major endeavors in farming and animal husbandry (far more than we've seen in previous games). Would be interesting to see what could be hammered out for them in a revision for the professions at the very least.
>>
Taking a step back from the existing system, at its core, what should a Zelda rpg be?
Should it focus on making dice rolls or on narrating a story?
Up until Through the Breach I've only encountered dice heavy rpg's, be it The Dark Eye, Pathfinder, the Warhammer rpg's and so on, almost everything was determined by one or more dice rolls and especially during the combat the GM took a very active part in play.
The TTB handbook talks a lot about when and how to have the PC's deal with a through a random outcome (it uses cards instead of dice) and the GM never steps down onto the battlefield himself by relying on the same rules as the PC's. He sets a target number the player has to succeed against when defending or attacking with an enemy and never flips a card himself. Every roll / card flip is in the player's hands.
>>
And also, is the rpg system supposed to emulate the feel of the videogames or exist for the purpose of playing a game inside the zelda universe?

I feel like that is a rather crucial point to make, when designing the game.
>>
>>52109461
So say non Hylian races have a limited choice for their racial specialty.
>Zora: Armorsmith, Alchemy
>Goron: Smithing, Mining
>Rito: Bowcraft, Barding
>Gerudo: Jewelcraft, Tailoring

With Hylians getting a choice of any of them. In exchange, other races get racial specific perks for their craft, as recently suggested.
>>
File: tumblr_ne7gljFK3C1tivujjo1_500.png (500KB, 479x750px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ne7gljFK3C1tivujjo1_500.png
500KB, 479x750px
>>52110005
The rules so far are so a group of people can play a game in the Zelda universe with fairly simple mechanics, not trying to emulate the feel of the videogame with mechanics and such.
>>52110216
I can get behind this, more or less. But what about the other races? Deku, blin, etc?
>>
>>52110497
>Deku, blin, etc?
We haven't even decided if they're playable yet.
>>
>>52110497
>>52111293
Yeah let's focus on these five core races first. Once we got them set up, we can look into the other races to add.
>>
>>52112048
I think the five we have are enough,although I wouldn't mind adding Dekus like the ones from Majora's Mask.

I definitely don't think blins should be playable.
>>
There's too much focus on races to begin with in these threads.

Like, that shit is all addon shit. You can't really balance racial modifiers or abilities when you don't even have more core shit like combat balanced.
>>
>>52114260
See
>>52105996
>>
>>52117433
What would you do?
>>
File: 1481043073362.png (193KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1481043073362.png
193KB, 800x1000px
>>52118541
Establish game concepts first and foremost.
>>
What's the point of having skill checks?
Especially in this type of game?

What do we accomplish by having the players fail at playing a certain song on an instrument?

Like, if Link were to play Saria's Song for Darunia, but he rolled badly and couldn't play the song, what would that failure accomplish?
>>
File: 1488988996876.jpg (38KB, 877x507px) Image search: [Google]
1488988996876.jpg
38KB, 877x507px
>>52119312
Embarrassment.
>>
>>52119312
Learned or memorized songs should be effects one can do, no roll needed. It is improvised music that needs a roll
>>
>>52119312
Good GMs skillcheck based on situation.

In your music example, there's a large difference between playing your magical song in a combat setting than just standing and playing it for someone.

It's pretty difficult to play an instrument accurately while running or worse, evading.
>>
>>52047052

Oh fuck I playtested this years ago, forgot it even existed. Is the magic system still complicated as all fuck?
>>
why aren't the base stats Courage, Wisdom, & Power?
>>
>>52119312
the point of checks in any given game is figuring out if you accomplish something in a given situation. My Postapocalyptic knight can acquire mead, tobacco, and other goods in the city without much effort due to his personal fortune. If we were in the wasteland that would be different.

he can sew patches onto his uniform without a check but when I was making his bomb-vest I had to roll. (and thankfully I rolled excellently)

as >>52119332 said a memorized song should be something you can do whenever, though perhaps a limit should be placed if it's useful in battle or otherwise. (rain for instance not occurring too many times in succession due to factors like there simply not being enough moisture in the atmosphere for it to work.)
>>
>>52120032
Aren't they already?
>>
>>52120061
Why were you making a bomb-vest?
>>
>>52089318
Yahtzee's just as biased as anyone, mostly towards PC exclusives and grimdark and against anything too japanese (read: Nintendo)
Thread posts: 270
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.