[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does GW handle, in lore, with the natural degradation of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 7

File: Lambda_by_kinglou88.1.png (76KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Lambda_by_kinglou88.1.png
76KB, 2560x1600px
How does GW handle, in lore, with the natural degradation of materials? I keep reading stuff like "this ship has 10k years", "this dreadnought has 10k years", "this dude has 10k years", etc...when the half life of almost all the materials used in those is way lower
>>
>>52035678
>>>>>>/v/
>>
>>52035678
Ship of Theseus.
>>
>>52035678
They don't because it's pointless bullshit that doesn't matter to any sort of story.
>>
>>52035893
I can see that work in other settings, but in 40k where nobody seems to know how stuff works anymore "replacing" stuff might be more complicated. Also in cases like Bjorn his organic part should be long gone, nothing should remain and therefore he should be dead because DNA doesn't live that long intact (10k)
>>
>>52035678
Future materials tech is highly advanced such as depleted deuterium bullet tips and tank armour equivalent to 300 mm of rolled steel and so it avoids that problem.
>>
You are talking about a setting where they use human soldiers because nukes were archaic and outdated.

Not exactly a setting to let your autism to run wild.
>>
>>52035976
Bjorn (and presumably other ven. dreds) spends most of his time in stasis fields.

It may have been 10,000 years for everyone else, but for him it's been maybe a month.
>>
File: EatBrains.png (159KB, 810x449px) Image search: [Google]
EatBrains.png
159KB, 810x449px
>>
>>52036238
Actually that's not that farfeched, there're certain primitive organisms that do that
>>
>>52035678
Space Marines eat brains to absorb memories.
>>
>>52035678
Because most people aren't autistic and literally don't give a shit about the half life of iron and steel being less than 10k years.

It's pointless irrelevant bullshit that has no impact on anything. Mentioning it would only serve to make the three autistic prats including OP happy. They don't actually care enough about making those three autistic prats happy to do it.
>>
>metals have half lives
U fuckng wot m8
Anyway they are constantly refurbishing their stuff.
>>
>>52037559
Everything has a half life, it's just incredibly long for most things. Ever heard of carbon dating?
>>
40K contains elements of every sci-fi setting at the same time. Someone somewhere has answered OP's dumbass question in their published setting, meaning that GW took from it, meaning that this question has been answered if you look hard enough.
>>
>>52035678

Possibly, 40k's date might be an exaggeration and the actual galactic date in relation to Earth has been long lost.
>>
>>52035932
>>52036076
>>52037537
The only valid answers in this entire thread. 52037537 also works with comic books too.

>huuurr how does soooperman flye?
>>
>>52037594
Nope.jpg. Half life refers to unstable radioactive isotopes decay. Literally high school level stuff here.
>>
>>52035678
Machine God.
>>
>>52037697
you are literally incorrect
>>
>>52037594

Carbon dating functions by measuring the decay of a specific carbon isotope which is unstable. You have no idea what you are talking about.
>>
>>52038196
No im correct. You can't measure the decay of non-radioactive materials like radioactive and certain metals would last for millions of years.
Which makes ops ten thousand number stupid.
Think about it sport iron is dug out of the ground that is millions years old and still retains its properties.
Stop wagging school.
>>
>>52035678
Via the same method that Space Marines eat enemy brains to gain their memories.
>>
>>52035976
Due to all the alterations to their bodies(organ impants) and minds (psycho-conditioning) space marines are functionally immortal
>>
>>52035678

How the fuck do you know what the half life of ceramite, plasteel, and adamantium are?
>>
>>52038196

I'm sorry, he's correct. Many isotopes are 'stable'. This means that if they do have a half-life, it is far greater than the to date age of the universe.
>>
>>52039476

He's an idiot that assumes everything has a short half-life. Which doesn't explain why the Earth hasn't dissolved.

Also, he seems unaware that decay primarily happens for elements heavier than iron, save for specific isotopes.
>>
>>52035678

You, are fucking retarded. On more levels than I can begin to describe.
>>
>>52038499
>>52039707
Half-life can refer to many things, not just the decay of radioactive substances.
>>
>>52040184
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-life_(disambiguation)

He's right you know

>TRIumvirate
>3 Gathering Storm books

HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED
>>
>>
>>52038499
OP didn't mention which materials though.
DNA is the only one that bothers me, because rest (inorganic) can be replaced easily.
>>
>>52039715
>Which doesn't explain why the Earth hasn't dissolved
Because it's in a constant proccess of creation and destruction?
>>
>>52037617
>huuurr how does soooperman flye?
Telekinesis
>>
>>52040184

And yet the OP made it abundantly clear that the only half-life that even makes close to fucking sense is the radioactive decay one. Either that, or that he's even more retarded than we originally thought.
>>
>>52040906

Or, because the vast majority of the Earth is stable isotopes.
>>
>>52040889
DNA doesn't degradate retard
>>
>>52041145
Yes it does, it's chemically unstable. Scientists kinda ruined Jurassic Park because they realized even if they found mosquitoes encased in amber, there would be no salvageable DNA, as several million years of degradation would leave you with pretty much nothing.
>>
>>52041269
That's because the body is dead, DNA on an alive body doesn't degradate, see those immortal jellyfishes that live forever, retard
>>
>>52041055
Not all of it though, earth has stayed consistently molten thanks in part to all the uranium.
>>
>>52041463
Individual cells die all the time, the stability of DNA never comes up in a living being.

Retard.
>>
im pretty sure half life only get rid of half the matter, perhaps what we see as one dreasnought now is actually half a dreadnought. with four arms, 2 eye slits and 7 dicks!!
>>
>>52041508
You seem dumb, let me enlighten you: immortal jellyfishes that live forever and had been here for millions of years
>>
>>52035878
why has no one pointed out you're a fuckwit yet? Coz you are.
>>
>>52037559
Iron 56 and nickel 62 are literally the only elements that don't fuse higher into the periodic table or decay down it. PIC related.
>>
>>52041527
One species, and it not so much lives forever as it is reborn regularly. If it had a consciousness it would ditch it every time.
>>
>>52040918
He draws in air through his mouth and uses his super-sphincter to compress and expel it at supersonic speeds, thus generating propulsion.
>>
ITT: Science autists argue that GW have it all wrong because entropy affects all things while GW fanboy autists try to claim that their bullshit setting is somehow based in fact.

Go to bed, both of you. You fucking faggots.
>>
>>52041583
It was always a weird thing to realize that this is it for the universe. Literally it. This is all the universe has for natural materials. Some alien species? They grew up with iron just like we did.
>>
>>52041686
Yes mom
>>
>>52037697

No he's right. All matter has a half life and is subject to decay, especially if it's in an environment conducive to it. Just get an iron hinge at B&Q and leave it outside for a few days. What do you think rust is?
>>
>>52041619
No, is actual telekinesis
>>
The only explanation is Space Marines spit acid but wearm helmets
>>
>>52035678
The way my groups run it, Imperial tech is just impossibly rugged, and will outlast eternity unless actively destroyed.

I know giving Imperial tech an edge over others probably doesn't sit well with the taufags out there, but... fuck you.
>>
>>52041883
oxidation is not radioactive decay you fucking idiot
>>
>>52041904

What do you think the mouth grills are for.
>>
>>52041585
You do know that every new cell builds a new set of DNA, right? Molecular degradation never comes up in a cell, because it dies and gets replaced. A living being doesn't have one set of DNA, nearly all cells have it.

Doesn't mean 40k is stupid anyway. Why the fuck do people trying to apply logic to one of the dumbest settings there is?
>>
>>52042064
>Why the fuck do people trying to apply logic to one of the dumbest settings there is?

Intelligent settings aren't free, citizen.
>>
File: science its wonuderfull.jpg (45KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
science its wonuderfull.jpg
45KB, 500x400px
>>52035678
and by science I mean magic
>>
>>52041909

Illiterate fucking burgers trying to lecture me on science. You go leave that hinge outside and tell me if it doesn't decay. Are you going to go on about how climate change is a big evil conspiracy, too? All things decay. It's called entropy.
>>
>>52042338
>All things decay.
that much is obvious from the effect all the bleach you drunk decayed your brain
>>
>>52042338
That's some master bait
>>
>>52042338
>stainless steel is magic because it don't be decaying
>>
File: trolling.jpg (41KB, 600x406px) Image search: [Google]
trolling.jpg
41KB, 600x406px
>>52042338
>>
>>52037594
Carbon dating only works on organic material.

In archaeology, relative dating is when you date something based on its relativity to other things - "this artefact is in the same level of strata as a piece of wood we carbon dated at this date", or "the design of this amphora is unique to this century".

You also have different methods of Absolute Dating, which are generally chemically based, and like carbon dating, sometimes involves the decay of isotopes. There's an absolute dating method for obsidian where you count microfractures or something. I only took one year of archaeology before I dropped out.
>>
>>52042338
Google methods of absolute dating. Carbon dating does not work on metals. There are other methods of absolute dating that do work, however. It's just been ages and I don't remember.
>>
>>52042442

I already said, metals decay based on the environment they are in. It will decay faster at the sea side. Hence why it can't be used for dating.
>>
>>52042776
It's chemical decay vs nuclear decay. We're all talking about the latter, you're stuck on the former.
>>
>>52036298
I'm going to need more information about this, anon.
>>
>>52042776
Yeah, as >>52043405 says, it's rare of nuclear decay that is used in Absolute Dating because the rate of nuclear decay for any specific isotope is constant. Carbon dating works because we know exactly the rate of decay for the isotopes involved, so when we see how much has decayed, we know how long exactly that took to decay. if you want I can dig out my old textbooks and find other methods of absolute dating that can be used on different materials, but they all centre on processes that happen at a constant rate, be it the nuclear decay or the formation of micro fractures.
>>
>>52043422
Flatworms for example
>>
>>52041498

Yes, it has. Uranium is a small part of the Earth's makeup, with a very long half-life.

>>52041583

Rather, they're the only ones that don't have an energy release via fusion/fission.

>>52041686

The actual Science autists are going 'not at that time scale, you're retarded'.

>>52041883

Rust is oxidation, not radioactive decay. Iron exposed to vacuum doesn't rust.
>>
>>52035678
>xeno faction exist
>psykers exist
>10000 year old living gods exist
>demi god angel that can reincarnate
>but hey
>the material in that ship should be worn down by now
>>
>>52042369
This entire thread is 10/10 bait. Trolls take note, this is how you pointlessly argue with people
>>
>>52045798

There really is some genius bait in here.
>>
>>52045798
What bait? OP is just retarded, this isn't bait
>>
Okay. Stable isotopes don't decay they're happy chilling as they are. Carbon dating relies on Carbon 14 an unstable isotope. Theseus's ship would cover any issues with unstable isotopes and DNA... urgh... do you seriously think the strands of DNA within your body are the exact same ones you were born with? They're not. They replicate like the cells do and so they never get old enough to worry about not lasting 10,000 years until you are dead. Only when they can't replicate do they face the grim realities of entropy.

That should cover the basics
>>52045738
Is correct Rust is oxidation due to the presence of an electrolyte (water). Can't happen in a vacuum, though the ship could in theory if it was iron rust from the inside out. That'd just be piss poor maintenance work though, believe the Imperium would shoot you for that.
>>
>>52035678
That's a great excuse for the supposedly decorative elements on Imperial ships. The decorations were load bearing, pressure holding and morale aiding scaffolding to allow replacement of the aged hull.
>>
>>52035976
>but in 40k where nobody seems to know how stuff works anymore "replacing" stuff might be more complicated.
the mechanicus still knows how much if not most of the tech works. But more.importantly theyre very very good at copying parts or following stored blueprints.
>>
>>52042338
>All things decay

I, too, praise Nurgle.
>>
>>52036091

I don't think they use stasis since every time they've talked about dreadnoughts that aren't active they refer to them as sleeping and the work involved to wake them up.

>>52041904

Acid spit always comes off as either a last resort because the Marine lost their weapons or as a tool when they don't have access to something that could do a similar job.
>>
File: Stasis Vault.png (460KB, 565x424px) Image search: [Google]
Stasis Vault.png
460KB, 565x424px
>>52058049
It's from Imperial Armour.

I think the sleeping, and work to wake them up is part of the whole deal of bringing them out of stasis.
Since you couldn't just suddenly bring them back to full battle readiness from stasis, the shock would probably kill them.
>>
>>52058240
This passage sort of implies that at some point someone considered making the Dreadnoughts do push ups with everyone else.
>>
>>52058289
I could easily see some over-zealous Chaplain demanding the Dreadnought join in the exercises, only for the Techmarines to keep arguing with him.
>>
>>52052636
>shoot you for that
That is far, far too lenient for that kind of tech heresy anon. They torture you to death then give your broken body to the Admech to make a servitor.
>>
>>52058289
>This passage sort of implies that at some point someone considered making the Dreadnoughts do push ups with everyone else.

Pertuabo or that dick Fulgrim, no doubt.
>>
>>52043562
I'm pretty sure that was debunked.

If I recall correctly: The test used was "flatworms finding their way in a maze", with the new batch of worms eating the old ones finding their way to the food on their first try.

Thing is, they actually just followed the microscopic trail of the previous flat worm to the food. It was a botched experiment.
>>
My guess is that the Omophagia's actually a psychic organ. Eating the brain gets it within range for the organ to psychically translate and transmit from meal to Marine.
>>
>>52058578
It is a long lost bit of history that Fulgrim and his legion were all big into exercise.

He'd figured out the perfect regimen to accelerate the transformation between mortal and astartes, leading to his infamous statement "In just seven days I can make you a marine."
>>
>>52058793
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6PrZEoC-Pw
>>
>>52035976
FTL travel does weird things.
Also, ship of theseus.
And superior materials.
Plus, the Adeptus Mechanicus knows how EVERYTHING works for most ships, but they don't know WHY it works.
>>
>>52058824
And when he fell to Chaos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U4QVCowisY
>>
>>52035678
The real question is how do their taxes work?
>>
>>52059078
EVEN IN THE 41ST MILLENIUM, THERE ARE STILL TWO CERTAINTIES: DEATH AND TAXES
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.