[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /tg/, I'm thinking of running Monsterhearts. Do you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (450KB, 1277x1280px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
450KB, 1277x1280px
Sup /tg/, I'm thinking of running Monsterhearts. Do you have any experience with it ?

I'm thinking of doing something like Hush (the buffy episode), any classic tropes I should include ?

Also I'm kind of at a loss for music, so far I have some tracks by the cure and joy division, but I'm not big into emo/teenage shit, can you suggest me some ?

The cringier, the better, I guess ?
>>
What is monsterhearts? Tell a poor man more.
>>
>>52034067
Monsterhearts is very player facing. More so than other games, the GM is just an arbitrator rather than someone who creates content. You basically just give basic setup, set a mood, and let the players do what they do. If you're really going for a certain thing as inspiration, talk with your players before hand during character creation and get a sense for what everyone wants.
>>
>>52034067
What do you mean when you're gonna do something like Hush?
If anything, Hush is an episode/session
>>
>>52034067
Depeche Mode, Enjoy the Silence.

Don't let the players say anything in character when they are muted, force them to communicate other ways. Emphasize the awkwardness of writing things down.

Make the Gentlemen, or whoever you have as the monsters, impossible to attack directly if the players don't solve the puzzle first. Once they do, let them go right ahead.

>>52034934
And this. Remember that the players have a lot of power to change the story.
>>
>>52034990
>If anything, Hush is an episode/session

Yes, it's the outline of the first session. I like the sound/no sound contrast as it mirrors the wild emotions under the awkward surface of teenage life. Plus, you know if you can't speak, you can't deny your feelings

>>52034934

My players enjoy investigation and might be lost without a track, so I thought I'd sprinkle a bit of mystery to get the ball rolling. You make a good point though, having no hook makes the question of what do THEY want to do unavoidable.

I really like the idea of the silence though
>>
>>52035597
I mean, Hush isn't a bad idea for a session, but I wouldn't be sure about it being a first session?

Conventional wisdom would state that you establish the campaign/show first with something fairly "normal" for what the show is.
Think Buffy's first two-parter. The characters meet each other for the first time, against the backdrop of a pretty standard "vampires gonna kill folk" plot.

Essentially you gotta establish a baseline first, then you can branch out in a "variations on a theme" sorta way.
Maybe save the Hush idea for a session a ways in? Just because it's a very unique idea that you don't want to waste. Or overuse ("Just why is it that every other monster that shows up stops us talking?")

Though, as I said above, this is just conventional wisdom, as understood by a layperson, so disregard at your leisure.
>>
>>52035823
>>52035597
Also, as mentioned upthread, Monsterhearts is a very PC-driven game.
As you say yourself "if you can't speak, you can't deny your feelings "

Maybe plan out a Hush-esque session, and slot it in whenever you think it could produce maximum drama.
Like if you think two characters are about to resolve their big conflict with a long discussion or something. (That's a shit idea, but you get the picture)
>>
>>52034067
>I'm thinking of running Monsterhearts
Why would you do that?
>>
>>52035823
>Conventional wisdom would state that you establish the campaign/show first with something fairly "normal" for what the show is.

That's the thing I'm running this for 2/3 sessions because one of my regular players is away and I don't want to advance the plot without a full group. So I'm running Monsterhearts as a sideshow for a month maybe, that's why I wanted something flashy from the get go.

>Though, as I said above, this is just conventional wisdom, as understood by a layperson, so disregard at your leisure.

You're absolutely right though, I think I might only do worldbuilding and some light stuff on the first session and finish it with Hush as the climax. The first session should be plenty exciting on its own

>>52035942
>Why would you do that?

For shits and giggles of course
>>
>>52036053
Okay man, if this is a two/three-shot, and the players know that, definitely encourage them to build toward a dramatic climax in the last session.
Just don't tell them they'll be mute for it.
>>
>>52034067
I've been running a reasonably long MH camapign of my own, it's become my favourite rpg in that time. I've developed three bits of advice in that time
>people shouldn't be reasonable
most teen drama bullshit can be resolved fairly quickly if people are sensible about it. When are teenagers ever sensisble about anything? Sometimes NPCs should just make straight-up stupid decisions
>make sure players understand what they're playing
alll of the skins have a secondary meaning behind the superficial layer. The Vampire for instance isn't so much about being a blood-drinking night stalker as it is emotional manipulation and domination. If the players don't know what they're playing as, it will damage the game
>everyone's happiness is someone else's misery
this is in the rulebook but in my experiance it bears special attention. Every time something good happens to the PCs you should ask yourself 'who does this hurt?' and every time some bad happens 'who likes it this way?' this will be the main way that conflicts are kept going

If you have any more particular questions I can probably answer them
>>
>>52035375
>Depeche Mode, Enjoy the Silence.
I feel like the Lacuna Coil cover would be more Monsterhearts.
>>
PDF?
>>
>>52036976

It's in here:
https://mega.nz/#F!tUFWyDIB!gILxs4Z06bLSx8-iF5Wxow
>>
>>52037068
>https://mega.nz/#F!tUFWyDIB!gILxs4Z06bLSx8-iF5Wxow
Thank you very much
>>
>>52034067
From my experience, you can't play Monsterhearts like you would play a normal game. Rather than focusing on building a story, instead make the outline of a 'world', populate it with interesting bits and bobs and then set your players down in it. Think of it like an old map with lots of blank spots with 'here be dragons' written on it, except instead it says 'here be suspicious shit'.
>>
Are there any spaces open in your campaign, OP? I really want to play Monster Heats.
>>
>>52037306
How's your french and can you make it to paris in 6 hours ?
>>
>>52037300
I was thinking of drawing up a seating chart and letting their imagination run wild. The example in the book us pretty nice in that regard
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.