[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What system does in your opinion strike a good balance between

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: hero.jpg (90KB, 284x378px) Image search: [Google]
hero.jpg
90KB, 284x378px
What system does in your opinion strike a good balance between realism and simplicity when it comes to firearms?

How does it deal with recoil, bursts, reloading, aiming etc.?
>>
Nobody?
>>
>>52028922
Nobody. BUT!
/tg/ was working on STALKER RPG that was based on Dark Heresy/Only War and made pretty decent thing out of firearms handling. Of course, it was designed to be kind of minis game.
>>
Savage Worlds

> recoil

Auto fire gives you 3 attacks at -2 to hit each

> bursts

give bonus to hit and damage

> aiming

spend an action to get +2 to hit

> reloading

no official rules but reloading is generally an action.
>>
i should add that the rest of the savage worlds system is 50% wank, and the shotgun rules fucking suck, but the firearm rules are quick and easy and fun and I give the game credit for that.
>>
>>52027979
Phoenix Command

Simplicity is for pussies.
>>
>>52027979
ops and tactics
>>
>>52027979
Cyberpunk 2020 has all the basic firearm options in a pretty good medium crunch package.
>>
>>52027979
Twilight 2000

My 3 favorite rpgs when firearms are involved are Dark Heresy, GURPS and Albedo.
>>
I like how GURPS does it.
>Aiming
Spend a turn aiming to add your weapon's Acc rating to your skill (turns in GURPS are one second long). Spending multiple turns increases this bonus somewhat and is required to aim at all with a scope. There's also All-Out Attack, which sacrifices your defenses for a turn but gives you a bonus; this represents using the gun's sights but not taking time to really "aim."
>Reloading
Takes a couple turns on average (again, one turn is one second) but can be sped up with a skill roll.
>Rapid Fire
Fire up to the weapon's RoF. Shoot enough bullets and you get a small bonus to hit, though the return is poor; you need to shoot a LOT to get a sizable bonus.
>Recoil
The most complex part. For every interval of the weapon's RCL stats you succeeded by, another round hits; if you rolled an 8 against a skill of 14 with a gun with RCL 3, two extra rounds would find their mark. Because GURPS lets people roll to defend themselves, these rounds can still miss/be dodged, but it's harder; against rapid fire, you only dodge a number of rounds equal to your margin of success, meaning that it's still possible to take a few rounds to the chest even if you get out of the way of most of them.

There are optional rules to add to this if you want them. Precision Aiming lets shooters aim for a *long* time for a higher bonus, though it's difficult to maintain and is meant for elite snipers. Take Aim requires shooters to roll to successfully aim, adding some granularity between unaimed/no bonus and aimed/full bonus and adding a more chaotic feel to combat. Dodge This reworks defending in general and adds a number of variants, including swapping dodge rolls vs. guns to giving the shooter a penalty, velocity-based penalties to active defenses, requiring a Perception roll to dodge at all, and a few more.
>>
good thing we already use Action-point mechanics

so that's what I figured out so far:
>Recoil
Recoil penalties scale with the quotient of recoil/strength^2 and add up if you dont use AP to reduce it, causing bigger calibers to use up more AP if you want to fire precisely. Skills reduce the first few points of buildup per turn by a flat number.

>Aiming
every AP spent increases the to-hit roll.
The more precise the weapon, the higher the cap for your Roll. Depending on the weapon and sights, your maximum bonus is also capped.
If you do not match the general strength requirement for a weapon, you need to invest additional AP to shoot accurately if not rested etc.

>Reloading
it's something like 120/precision for most weapons, resulting in 12 AP cost in general

>Bursts
basicly works like single fire with more recoil, higher aiming-costs and lower aiming-cap.
4-shot or other bursts on most automatic weapons, first shot gets a high bonus, second-to-fourth shot a strong penalty. depending on weapon tech, balance and recoil axis those modifiers can alternate
>>
>>52029194
Savage worlds is what I would also suggest. Its fast and easy, if a little unrealistic.
>>
>>52029194
>>52030466
Thirding, gunplay in SW is pretty nice and fast without being loose. It works on sort of action movie principles, but there's optional rules to tighten it further and it's a good framework if you really wanted to get homebrewin' with it.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.