[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Heya fa/tg/uys I wanted some advice for running a game. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

File: 1488656624499.jpg (142KB, 795x452px) Image search: [Google]
1488656624499.jpg
142KB, 795x452px
Heya fa/tg/uys

I wanted some advice for running a game. I'm planning on getting some stuff together and asking a handful of my co-workers if they'd be interested in playing a tabletop game.

Trouble is, it would be my first time doing something like this and I was wondering where a good place to start would be.

Any good tips, tricks and advice that can help a soon-to-be forever DM?

If it helps any, I'd like to run a post-apocalypse game. Something in the Fallout Universe.
>>
File: 1488651437479.jpg (51KB, 353x438px) Image search: [Google]
1488651437479.jpg
51KB, 353x438px
Gonna bump one time and let it slide after.
>>
Well Op, what do you want your party to do? Is there a specidic area you want them to start in? Any goals in mind? Encounters planned?
>>
>>52023839
>>52023839
Well something to test the DM waters. Basic idea is to find out happened at a military fort. Radio contact has broken off and the people who have been sent haven't come back/disappear. Too many troops have been lost so they're contracting mercs, which is where Ill begin.

Goals are to find out what happened and report back in one piece.
Area will be the ruins of our hometown and the surrounding area , just for familiarity's sake.

Encounters are planned, wild dogs, raiders etc
>>
>>52023934
Any idea what system you're gonna use?

Also, for your first game, I recommend a pre-written adventure unless what you think you got written up is quality.
>>
>>52023950
No idea what system
And I hadn't thought of that either

How hard would it be to jury rig a system?
>>
>>52023984
For your first time? Not recommended in the slightest. If you haven't played a TTRPG before then making your own system is a big hurdle to overcome immediately.

I haven't played many games that use very basic rudimentary systems, but I can recommend a few RPGs that could lead you in the right direction.

Exodus survivors guide (and it's supplements); it was an official Fallout RPG before Bethesda dropped it, so the creators changed a few copyrighted names around.

GURPS; for obvious reasons, it's a meme for being the most universal RPG out there.

D&D 5e; no idea how well this will help you in your apocalypse setting, but 5e is basically the easiest version of D&D to learn. D&D is usually a starting point for most fa/tg/uys. If you want to go fantasy instead, I recommend the D&D 5e beginner box.

Also I do stress the pre-written adventures, as your first campaign usually sucks, but with a pre-written adventure you'll have more of a coherent story in mind and it'll usually suck less.
>>
File: Fallout pnp.pdf (6MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Fallout pnp.pdf
6MB, 1x1px
>>52022951
There's about 5 Fallout RPGs that I know of
>>
File: Fallout pnp char sheet.pdf (48KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Fallout pnp char sheet.pdf
48KB, 1x1px
>>52024682
3 actually

don't know why I thought 5

maybe use Mini Six if you really want to jury rig up a Fallout system of your own. Its free.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.