[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /tg/ I want to try out GURPS but I've heard that the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0755.jpg (756KB, 2182x1381px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0755.jpg
756KB, 2182x1381px
Hey /tg/ I want to try out GURPS but I've heard that the vehicle rules are not very welcoming. Can an somebody clear up the general misunderstandings I've heard about needing to know calculus?
>>
>>52020124

There's a great difference between USING vehicles in GURPS and DESIGNING vehicles in GURPS.
>>
>>52020124
I thought the latest edition's vehicles were just non-sentient characters with specific restrictions?
>>
The "vehicle rules" are the previous edition's rules for building vehicles from the ground up.

The rules themselves aren't hard (you never deal with calculus), but they are mind-numbingly tedious. The way it works is that you select an engine with a listed output, add in all the other components, the compare the final weight to the output only to find that what you thought was going to be a speedy racer can barely reach highway speeds. Thankfully there's an automated spreadsheet rolling around the net that makes handling that so much easier; if the final result isn't what you wanted, you can tweak the input rather than start over from scratch this time with 15% less armor.

The current edition still doesn't have rules for making vehicles (sort of), possibly because the GURPS=CALCULUS meme hit them so bad in 3e that the devs are hesitant to release the 4e equivalent. There is, however, rules for making spaceships that have since been expanded to creating almost every sort of vehicle. The rules for that are *much* more simplified; you select the vehicles size and fill its 20 slots with appropriate features including engines, seating, drive trains, robot arms, weapon batteries, time-flux workstations, and cargo holds. You don't run into 3e's problem because everything is done in relative units; a powerplant produces one powerpoint (1PP) regardless of the ship's size and laser battery takes only 1PP--it's just that a laser battery for a SM+12 ship is a lot more powerful than one for a SM+6 ship.
>>
>>52020124
Vehicles are very simple to use in GURPS 4e.

The confusion that they're complex comes from a book for DESIGNING them that came out 17 years ago and for the previous edition of the game.
>>
>>52020625

Sort of. >>52020666 explains it nicely.

The main issue with GURPS vehicles, or GURPS itself for that matter, is the we all try to use and/or add to many options to our games.

We're supposed to pick just what we need and ignore the rest. Our subconscious constantly "equates" more with "better" so we keep adding just one more little thing until the game explodes like Mr. Creosote.

When that happens, we blame the game instead of ourselves.
>>
>>52020124
Who's that nigger steal that car from?
>>
>>52022032

Nobody, it's clearly his. It says C Black right on the hood.

Meaning, "See Black." Because as soon as you see it coming, you can see he's black.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.