[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are Dwarves really supposed to be jews? I never really got the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0731.jpg (123KB, 611x733px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0731.jpg
123KB, 611x733px
Are Dwarves really supposed to be jews? I never really got the feel from any fantasy setting. Even Tolkien's setting which originated this meme only makes obscure references to the influence of Hebrew on the Dwarf language.

I get the feeling that in most settings they're just Norse and Gaelic hybrids.

What do you think?
>>
File: Dwarves.jpg (48KB, 534x559px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarves.jpg
48KB, 534x559px
>>52004924
Literally Jews in Eberron.
>>
>>52004924
In most settings nowadays they ARE just Norse and Gaelic hybrids, because Peter Jackson's dwarves were Scottish as fuck, as were things like Warhammer Fantasy's dwarves. The modern popular image is a drinking Scotsman who lives for a few hundred years and is a hell of a geologist.

In Tolkien's stories, the language was based heavily on Hebrew, and their most important stories revolved around living in diaspora. Between Moria and the Lonely Mountain, the dwarves only ever really knew the pain of being expelled from the lands that their god gave to them. And when they take them back, they become dwarvish utopias of riches and safety, where this near-extinct species could start again. Even ignoring the thematic aspects, there is more low-hanging fruit in their descriptions as short, large-nosed, and hairy with a love of gold and a mind for numbers.

I know that /lit/ will bust a gut any time someone says Tolkien's work is allegorical, but there's a great deal of similarity.
>>
>>52007848
Well written post bro
>>
>greedy
>hold grudges forever

If the boot fits.
>>
>>52010541
You just described vampire dragons.

Or adventurers.
>>
>>52004924
Jews were hella warriors when they were conquering their homeland
Some say YHWH's monotheism came from overbloated cult of war god and other gods being forgotten
>>
>>52007848
Very well thought-out. Did you come up with this for this thread, or had you had it from before?
>>
>>52010452
Thanks.

>>52011586
Same. No, I explained all of this to an IRL friend. Bit of a Legendarium nerd.
>>
File: pathfinder_character_belts.jpg (73KB, 736x1071px) Image search: [Google]
pathfinder_character_belts.jpg
73KB, 736x1071px
>"how you want your character art pham?"
"I like belts"
>"say no more"
>>
File: pathfinder-fighting-the-white.jpg (328KB, 2580x1200px) Image search: [Google]
pathfinder-fighting-the-white.jpg
328KB, 2580x1200px
>>52012106
Yeah, the main artist for Pathfinder does love his too-busy designs, doesn't he?
>>
>>52012186
I know I'll make the same mistake when I start drawing shit, you see "space" you don't know what to do with, so what fits that isn't too attention drawing?

A belt.
Just....belts.
>>
>>52012186
People take the piss a lot on his stuff, but I always liked it as I felt like it looks like an adventurer with all kinds of extra straps and such to hang stuff off on. We see others' pics of knights in full plate and that is great, but where does he keep all his crap? He's no adventurer as he has no room for 10 potions 5 wands and a half dozen little bags of whatever.

Hell, last session, the second of our new campaign, first thing our sword guy did was buy a thong for his sword after dropping it twice in the first session.

"Belts" are your friends!
>>
>>52012743
>but where does he keep all his crap?

Back at camp or on nearby squires.
>>
>>52012743
>We see others' pics of knights in full plate and that is great, but where does he keep all his crap?

Well no "adventurer" would walk around in plate harness at all, ever. That shit just isn't practical for travel.
>>
So dwarfs are jews who have gained scottish tendencies to try and drown the pain in liquor, swearing, and violence?
>>
>>52007848
I thought their language was based on Norse runes?
>>
>>52014186
They look like Norse runes, but their pronunciation is pure fantasy Hebrew.

The thing about Tolkien is that he was a linguist. The study of languages--in particular the languages of Northern and British Europe--were his specialty. His elves effectively spoke Welsh, and he plotted the entire history of the Rohirrim and the men of Esgaroth based on how they were related to each other and shared linguistic roots. He published and released his own translation of Sigurd and Gudrun.

So the fact that his dwarves use what looks like Norse runes is in no way surprising; realistically, with how he studied it, one of his peoples would. But their themes are all Jew, and their language is very Hebrew. It's not lilting or song-y enough to be historic Icelandic.
>>
File: watto.jpg (99KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
watto.jpg
99KB, 1440x1080px
>>52004924
No, dwarves are a stereotype of Scots.

Gnomes are a stereotype of Jews. So are Jawas and Watto in Star Wars, and goblins in Harry Potter.

Most sci-fi fantasy archetypes work because they are stereotypes of things we're familiar with.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.