[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /tg/ think of Numenera? I've been running it for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 295
Thread images: 47

File: FoundationStones-Yanner.jpg (672KB, 3000x1688px) Image search: [Google]
FoundationStones-Yanner.jpg
672KB, 3000x1688px
What does /tg/ think of Numenera? I've been running it for a few months now, and I'm loving the setting and system. Has anyone else played/ran it?
>>
Good ideas, poor execution, bizarre design decisions.
>>
>>51998308
What do you mean by poor execution? I haven't run across anything particularly broken or hard to deal with, will I run into that at higher tiers?
>>
>>51998276
>What does /tg/ think of Numenera?
We generally don't like it.
>>
>>51998789
You might. Never personally gotten that far. It mainly refers to the system itself not knowing what it wants to be. The designers wanted it to be some kind of story focused type of game, but they didn't actually know how to write those sort of rules, so they just fell back on what they knew for the most part. Coupled with some weird mechanics and some generally uninspired parts, the game as a whole really suffers.
>>
>>51999175
>but they didn't actually know how to write those sort of rules
Did they at least learn something since the massive fuckup that was Monte Cook's WoD?
>>
>>51999305
Dunno, never read that one. How big of a fiasco was it?
>>
>>51999414
Imagine someone who doesn't seem to understand the slightest bit about WoD or the storyteller system turning it into a d20 system mastery game, in the heyday of 3.5
>>
>>51998276
I saw the three 'Into the-' books in a shop last week. They looked FANTASTIC, but £30 a pop...
>>
I clicked on this thread ready to give a detailed explanation of what I thought of the system as a whole, but I see everyone else has done that. So instead, I'll tell you about the one game I played:

>friend has been talking about Numenera for weeks, he's super excited to DM a game
>obvious Monte Cook fanboy
>game starts, players are me, That Guy, and That Couple
>I play the game normally, trying to follow the plot, help NPCs who need help, and generally follow what my character would do.
>That Guy takes every opportunity to do LOLRANDOM crap because he thinks its funny
>That Couple:her starts out trying to play normally, ends up doing LOLRANDOM crap with That Guy
>That Guy:him does whatever he thinks she would want him to do. His character follows hers around like a sad puppy

After 3 sessions of that, I noped the fuck out.
>>
The post above me is a bait. please don't answer.
>>
To clear what that guy is talking about, there are parts in the setting lore which basically read "ninth world's sex is some weird shit, yo". For SOME reason this tends to trigger insecure /pol/sters.
>>
>>51999913

It's triggered /v/ as well. The Goobergate dudes are up to their usual evidence-free shenanigans.
>>
>>51998276

>This shit
OP, Try posting again another time, there are people that like Numenera (and the Strange), but you clearly aren't getting a decent thread today.
>>
>>51998276

The whole system sucks, and the setting can and is getting stale pretty fast. Just started playing pc game in the world (torment) and as a person really far on the visual spectrum of things if this can't not make me intrigued no amount of weirdy wierd will do on the tabletop.

Its just... you know. Meh.

also i just got warned for saying N word on the another thread
the fuck from when mods care?
never been warned for that before
>>
>>51999466
The books in general are really nice in terms of the art and quality, I've picked up Core, Ninth World Bestiary and the Technology Compendium, all of them have pretty high quality in terms of art. Definitely very expensive, probably worth it if you like the setting and the game.
>>
>>51999564
Sounds like a pretty shit game anon, unlucky. It does seem to be a problem with the players rather than the game though, although I suppose Numenera might attract that type more than usual.
>>
>>51998276
Mediocre on all fronts.
>>
>>51998276
Wizards > Fighters, by the man who happily espoused Ivory Tower gameplay, now made into a full setting
>>
File: IMG_1052.jpg (320KB, 1432x1188px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1052.jpg
320KB, 1432x1188px
I enjoyed Numenera the one time I played it and the penis cannibalism thing is obviously a lie.

But I kind of hope it takes off as a meme just because I find it hilarious
>>
>>51998276
I don't like it

The concept is great on paper but the design of the game and setting do nothing to reinforce it. You've got your standard three fantasy character classes (Fighter, Rogue, Mage) distinguished only by the designer giving them slightly unusual names. Then the wizard spell list is supposed to be the leftovers of ancient technology and magic but again it's just your bog standard D&D shit. Then you have the baffling design decision to only let the characters carry a limited amount of arcanotech. The most distinct and interesting part of the setting, and it's deliberately gimped. The system itself is just 3.5 with some narrative mechanics bolted on, it combines the worst aspects of both D20 and freeform games.

There are a host of other, better options out there for running the same genre. There's GURPS New Sun for the Gene Wolfe Fans and GUMSHOE Dying Earth if you prefer Vance. Basically any D&D edition can be used to play in this type of setting (the early editions had content designed for it) and there are several OSR games and modules out now that are specifically made to evoke it.
>>
I like the concept and the base idea of the system is cool, using your stats as resources, but I wish there was more meat to it.
>>
How much transhumanism is in this setting, because all the Numenara companions just look like regular people.
>>
>>52001243

Not a lot, it's more Dying Earth/Book of the New Sun than Eclipse Phase. It's a far distant future, after many cataclysms and apocalypses have come and gone, and the world is littered with strange and inexplicable stuff.
>>
>>52001243
There's a decent amount, a lot of the artifacts and cyphers are implants and such, and many of the fluff reasons for character powers are implanted technology etc. Nothing as extreme as Eclipse Phase or Shadowrun, but there are a lot of enhanced people wandering about.
>>
>>52000928

kek

>>52001173

Game and System itself has a huge emphasis on Dendra O'Hur, a cannibal cult eating bodies.
They really handled like 'did nuffing wrong' types.

I ignored this shit in tabletop because it sounds to fucking cliche and boring as fuck concept, but in PC game exposure is so frequent it borderlines with magical realm intrusion.
>>
>>52000854

enis cannibalism thing is obviously a lie

source pls
>>
>>52000909
What do you think of the other types that were added in one of the supplements? Glints and Seekers, I think they're called.
>>
>>52002101
I've never played them so I can't offer commentary. I have to imagine they wouldn't fix my problems with the system, in the same way adding books to 3.5 didn't fix it, but on the other hand anything's possible.
>>
>>52002506
That seems pretty fair. Something I've run into though is that my players are really reluctant to actually use cyphers, which as noted is one of the most important parts of the system. I think the cypher limit is trying to encourage the use of cyphers, since they can only have so many.
>>
>>51998885
Who's this "we," white man?

/tg/ isn't a collective mind. Some of us like it, some of us don't. Some of us like the potential, and play it with other systems because the setting and lore is a neat idea with an odd system.
>>
>>52002762
this lack of reading comprehension is why the white man is dominant.
>>
File: 1488228068284.jpg (143KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
1488228068284.jpg
143KB, 1136x640px
>>51998276
I'd love to get into it IF I KNEW WHERE TO FIND THE PDFS!
>>
I am genuinely confused as to why this thread is so weirdly political. What is even going on?
>>
>>52002864
http://i.4cdn.org/tg/1488382850800.pdf
Go forth anon, and find what you seek.

Ctrl+F "Numenera"
>>
File: fc9f3b2067bbd9e6973fc31dd5e50d65.jpg (233KB, 1920x1257px) Image search: [Google]
fc9f3b2067bbd9e6973fc31dd5e50d65.jpg
233KB, 1920x1257px
Somebody give me a quick rundown on the tech on Numenara. Can I use guns?
>>
>>52003004
Nice. Well, it's pretty threadbare. None of the 'Into the X' books, for start, but thanks anyways.
>>
>>52002867
Lemme give you the quick rundown:

-Torment: Tides of Numenera drops on Steam

-Game is billed as a spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment.

-Like Numenera itself, it seems to struggle with an incredible setting chained to so-so/awful mechanics.

-Setting includes weird far-future shit like a tribe of tech-barbarians temporarily modifying their men to be able to bear children when their womenfolk die to plague, and posthuman races who change their physical gender like you and I change outfits.

-/v/idiots decide this means the game is part of the SJW menace.

-/pol/fags jump on and start meming about how (((they))) are behind Numenera (or, as they call it, Nu-Men-Era) and claim it's all about transgenderism and assorted other 'degeneracy'.

-They start trying to push the meme that Monte Cook was one of the five people who ate batshit shock artist Mao Sugimiya's severed penis (the man essentially turned himself into a human Ken doll for baffling reasons).

-Ergo, this shit.
>>
>>52003004
The point of the setting is that it's so far advanced that by and large, most characters will have no idea what the tech they're using is actually supposed to do. Instead, they tend to jury rig things into usable objects, like a battery into a grenade or something similar. The tech is just sort of everywhere, so everyone is using barely understood technology. You can use guns in the sense that you might find something that works the same as a gun, but might actually be something completely different like a stapler or some other shit like that.

>>52003131
That actually makes a lot of sense, I guess I picked a pretty bad time to make this thread. Ah well, who cares. Thanks for the explanation.
>>
>>52000026
>N word
Just say nigger, fuck warnings
>>
Cook is one of the biggest hacks in tabletop. I will concede that Dark Matter was good, before he butchered it with d20.

I won't touch anything the man works on with a ten foot pole now.
>>
The elevator pitch of Numenera just makes me want a new Gamma World game.
At least there's Gamma Five.
>>
>>52004541
What's Gamma World? I've never heard of it.
>>
File: GammaWorldCover_zps6687fdd4.jpg (107KB, 614x800px) Image search: [Google]
GammaWorldCover_zps6687fdd4.jpg
107KB, 614x800px
>>52004595
Gamma World post-apocalyptic game usually based on the D&D ruleset with some modifications. It's both exceedingly silly and exceedingly lethal; half the fun of character creation is seeing what kind of mutant freak you can roll up before it gets vaporized by a mutant rabbit's plasma gun.
>>
>>52004757
>That cover
So it's RIFTS but in the Jurassic era? Because holy shit that cover sets up some bizarre ideas. Sounds pretty fun, although personally I kinda prefer Numenera and it's somewhat more mysterious tech.
>>
>>52004847
Less Jurassic, but there is a lot of reality bending going on, coupled with unearthing ancient tech and surviving the wastes.
>>
>>52002546
I have this problem too. In most games with disposable 1 shot items the players tend to hang on to as many as possible. Short of me telling them 'its okay, there will be more, you should use them' they just don't. Anyone come up with ways to encourage cypher use?
>>
>>52004938
Well, the cypher limit seems to be the designers solution, and it seems to be working okay in my case, although they tend to throw away cyphers rather than use them. I think just throwing cyphers at them is probably not a great idea, but the game seems to work fine for me even without them using cyphers all the time.
>>
>>52005057
Have Gaston attempt to rape them until they use a cypher. Works for everything.
>>
>>51998789
You can have it tier one. I speak as someone who love Numenera and the Cypher system. It is my favorite game to run, because it's so easy. However, Monte assumed he made a system that couldn't be broken, and didn't try that hard to balance it. Armor staking and Skill stacking can get ridiculous. I ran a game with a glaive who could hit lvl 10 strength tasks with little effort, and another glaive who ignored damage from lvl 5 and lower.
>>
File: 266cqCm.png (68KB, 641x756px) Image search: [Google]
266cqCm.png
68KB, 641x756px
>>52005068
Pic related.
>>
>>52005068
>>52005087
Jesus fucking christ

>>52005069
Yeah, I definitely don't think the game was built around balanced combat. I've had a lot more success running environmental encounters rather than pure combat, luckily the setting is pretty well set up to just not need that much combat. I think it's more interesting if some strange mechanism is blocking a path as opposed to 12 mindless robots or some shit like that.
>>
So, what does /tg/ think of Into the Outside?
>>
>>52005069
>>52005115
It's not that Monte thought the game couldn't be broken, it's that he didn't care. He explicitly states that in the part about party balance.

That said, it's also my favorite system, and it's very easy to adjust things to rebalance for your group.
>>
>>52000026
I don't think Numenera is really at the level of the video game. But then, this will differ from GM to GM.

The video game hammers at it pretty hard. They took a relatively normal setup, and then hammered in a bunch of references to other parts of the setting, to the point where a lot of times the 'weird' just isn't weird anymore.
>>
>>52004938
Keep throwing more cyphers at them to stress how dumb they are for not unloading them,

Past that, just make situations that are more difficult to resolve. Make combats that are more likely to kill them. My players are constantly burning cyphers.
>>
>>52005057
Make the game more dangerous. They'll either need to use utility cyphers to get past problems, or violent cyphers to get through them.
>>
>Nu-Men-Era
>>
>>52003533

Ptolus was a fun setting.
>>
File: Numenera-Ninth-World-Guidebook-1.jpg (507KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
Numenera-Ninth-World-Guidebook-1.jpg
507KB, 1600x1067px
>>52006577
It looks really interesting, and I've heard it has some really nice stuff in there, but if I was getting one of the Into The X books I'd probably get into the Night, I just prefer space as a setting to weird interdimensional hijinks.

>>52008348
I guess that's a fair way to do the game design, most parties should be able to self balance to a degree. It does seem pretty easy to break in terms of combat, but I think that's something a smart Gm can work around because of the setting.

>>52008412
This seems like a pretty interesting idea, my players haven't really run across any particularly difficult combats yet, I might try shoving something a little tougher in front of them, see if that gets some cypher use.
>>
Is there a monster manual for this?
>>
>>52009689
Yes!
https://www.montecookgames.com/store/product/the-ninth-world-bestiary/
>>
File: Numenera-People-Naevro-Burrim.png (898KB, 996x647px) Image search: [Google]
Numenera-People-Naevro-Burrim.png
898KB, 996x647px
>>51998276
After running this for a few sessions, I have one piece of practical advice. I'm wondering how universal this one is, because I feel like not doing this fucked up my mini-campaign.

Make sure that one of the PCs is a character that you the GM can use to get information about how the Numenera work into the hands of the player. The players are supposed to be able to use this stuff, it's no fun if it's all so weird and random that they feel like they have no way of predicting what will happen when they try something, so you need to be able to give them reliable and straightforward information. If none of the PCs has that niche of "the guy who knows what the weird tech does" (not "how it works", because the answer is always "you don't know, it's basically magic"), then the game is going to be very difficult to run.

When I ran the game, I had a party of 3, one of each type. Normally the Nano is the one that has the in-character knowledge, but the Nano in my game chose the Mystical descriptor. He had fun with that, imagining himself as a sort of witch doctor/techpriest, with a collection of highly functional superstitions. I had fun describing the Numenera they encountered in those terms. However, I realised after the campaign that the rest of the players had just been finding it confusing. Since I hadn't been able to convey unflavoured information to the players, they'd never been sure about whether the stuff that the Mystical Nano had been talking about was accurate or useful, so they'd just avoided using all the interesting elements of the setting and the game became a relatively standard adventure where occasionally weird random shit happened.

The book itself talks about making the game weird without making it frustratingly random. That's the bit I found difficult.
>>
So, in baseline Numenera, there are a bunch of NPCs that have managed to transcend their humanity through the use of the Numenera - the Changing God from the computer game, the corebook has a few examples of arch-nanos who have attained Supreme Cosmic Power, Into the Beyond has the Philosopher who used a realm where thought becomes reality to make himself into a god-like being, Into the Night has a insect robot that self-modified herself into a Singularity-style intelligence explosion, and so on and so forth.

How well would adding in the rules for playing demigods from Gods of the Fall model the PCs doing this sort of thing? How well does Gods of the Fall play compared to other, similarly themed games like Godbound or Exalted?
>>
File: team stupid.jpg (32KB, 652x365px) Image search: [Google]
team stupid.jpg
32KB, 652x365px
>samefagging, the thread
>>
>>52010049
>A game with a small player base has discussion involving a small amount of people in a thread
>Lawl samefags haha amirite xD

>>52009915
Yeah, that's probably a decent point, but identifying cyphers is only a level 2 task most of the time, so pretty much anyone can work out how to use the standard kit. There will usually be someone who is more specialized in that, but it's worth being clear that anyone can work out what a cypher does. Artefacts and more advanced technology is a bit different though.
>>
>>52002506
They seem to make Jacks into a more definite generalist role, Seekers and Glints have some of the stuff Jack had which Nano and Glaive didn't.
Seekers are more the swashbuckling rogue type.
Glints are the party faces.
>>
>>52003131
/pol/ ruins everything
>>
>>52010936
That seems pretty cool, I might check them out in future then. I like that the character generation all boils down to such a simple set of things with the descriptors types and foci. Really easy to know what a character can do, plus it's pretty easy to add more to the game.
>>
>>52000909
This guy gets it. Makes me sad, really, that all of the mystery and weirdness is basically just regular shit but with different names.
>>
>>52011281
I think it can grow beyond just weird shit with different names, but when you think about it a lot of fantasy things can draw equivalents to sci Fi things. I think you can run a lot of weird in the game, if you know how to do it right.
>>
>>52009915
I work on an asphalt barge. On our barge we have two boilers that are used to keep the product from getting cold.

The operation and maintenance of those boilers is handled by a man who barely knows how to read. When he describes how to make them run, or troubleshoots them, it basically sounds like magic. But it works.

So long as your Nano is able to consistently get results out of the Numenera, it shouldn't matter if the other players 'understand' what he's talking about. And, as long as the stuff you're saying has its own way of coming together, they should be able to use it, even if the trappings are strange.

But then this can also be a taste thing, so, I dunno.
>>
I've played cypher system which is basically the same thing. It's.. different. I'm not sure if I like it or not. The idea of how much it focuses on spendable resources and your ability to adventure depending on those resources is a LOT different than having sort of static abilities that you try to bump up.

There's still a chance mechanic, but you have a lot more control over it from roll to roll. But on the other hand you have a lot less control of it in a passive sense. Like I can't really make a guy who is straight up stronger, only someone who has a much easier time playing the resource game with strength. Which is sort of the same over time? It's hard to describe.

The setting is equally bizarre. I've bought Tides and it's just packed with weirdness. It is absolutely not forgotten realms vanilla fantasy. Everything about it is intentionally flipped and exaggerated, sort of like how planescape:torment was. I found it jarring at first but it's growing on me, so I'm going to give it some time. I think it would be tiring for a GM to mentally keep on top of it, though, in tabletop play.
>>
File: solaris.jpg (60KB, 613x380px) Image search: [Google]
solaris.jpg
60KB, 613x380px
>>51998276

I'm running it as well. I love the high concept, but I wish they hadn't chosen to hew so close to D&D type fantasy in the particulars. I've been trying to run it as more of a classical type society, like Mayan or Greek city states, because I don't think the feudal thing makes sense, and I'm definitely not treating the Order of Truth as the black hat catholic stereotype it is in the books.

Having fun, though. Last adventure was heavily influenced by Soderbergh's Solaris and I'm thinking of doing one with an evergrowing mansion along the lines of House of Leaves.

I do like the system's idea of combining health with other expendable resources, but some of the freeform-RP inspired stuff like GM intrusions instead of rolling for things don't do it for me so much.
>>
>>51999466

I got the Deep and the Space ones and mostly liked those, but the Outside doesn't appeal to me very much as a concept.
>>
>>52001243
>>52001263

I've been drawing a lot on Phantasy Star IV for a vibe.
>>
File: HLD_Screenshot_BETA_entrance.png (238KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
HLD_Screenshot_BETA_entrance.png
238KB, 1920x1080px
>>52011959
The Intrusions are very weird, I've slowly been getting used to them. In general I think it is just giving the players a reward for letting you screw them over for plot, which is nice in my view, but it takes practice to learn when to intrude. The ability to refuse them is something I haven't had come up yet, so it will be interesting to see what happens when I try and move the plot and the players say no...

>>52011986
My personal inspiration right now is Hyper Light Drifter, it has the perfect aesthetic for Numenera, and my players tell me that listening to it's soundtrack while in game is a fantastic experience.
>>
>>52012188
I use Cryochamber for my background. https://www.youtube.com/user/cryochamberlabel
>>
>>52012188
Isn't intrusion simply systematized railroading, with the xp reward a bribe in return for player cooperation?
>[internally] Ok guys stop sandboxing around, ima get this story back on track, GM Intrusion #1 [aloud] claxons go off and over the keening you here the rumble of dusty gears in the walls turning as the door to the corridor starts screeching downwards!
>Who wants free xp?
>Refuse
>Ok you are now trapped in the room. Scan, investigate some more whatever bla bla descriptions of junk
>5 minutes later
>GM Intrusion #2! The room's floor suddenly gives way, revealing a smooth curving tunnel that seems to be made of sound and lsd. You fall. Roll for perception and speed defense. Whatever the result all the pcs end up back to the corridor. Award the highest percept roll with the xp

Hasty and ho-hum example of course, but you get the drift.
>>
>>52012188
My man, I'm about to start a HLD inspired Numenera campaign, with a few world tweaks. Soundtrack as well I'm going to be playing while we play.

For the intrusions topic, I'm of the opinion that they should not be used in any way plot wise, only for complications in the moving towards objectives. Also in the actual framing of the intrusion, I prefer to just pose the question "Intrusion?" and if they accept, THEN expand upon what the intrusion is.
>>
>>52014399
>Isn't intrusion simply systematized railroading

No? I mean you could use it for that, but railroading isn't just "introducing complications" or "putting down obstacles." It's specifically denying a player's choices in order to implement a pre-planned story.
>>
>>52014554
I've yet to run a purist sandboxing gm since nobody's imagination, memory and improv is good enough to deliver compared to a well-prepared campaign. There's a stigma to the term railroading here as if it equates to linearity when in truth all non-pure sandbox games have a core linear narrative with subbranches always looping back to the main. Intrusion points the players to the parts of the story where you are well-prepared, and hopefully as a gm you prepared well enough for a worthwhile story as opposed to preparing for improvisation.
>>
File: scully.gif (926KB, 500x579px) Image search: [Google]
scully.gif
926KB, 500x579px
>>52014701

>this entire post
>>
>Cypher System
>>
I'm curious if any of the GMs here have run any of the adventures, and if so could you rate them?

[ ] Beyond All Worlds
[ ] Into the Violet Vale
[ ] Devil's Spine
[ ] Hideous Game
[ ] Nightmare Switch
[ ] Thief, Clave and the Ultimatum
[ ] Vortex
[ ] Corebook's Beale of Boregal
[ ] Seedship
[ ] Hidden Price
[ ] Three Sanctums

I've only skimmed through the corebook's adventures and they seemed anemic compared to what the setting itself offers. Any preference?
>>
>>52014744
Quick Roll20.net right now
>>
>>52014945

Sure, I love running games for argumentative strangers who are looking to pick apart my DMing to find "gotcha" points they can use to win an internet debate.
No thanks, dude. I don't mind doing zero prep games, but not when I have reasons to expect them to be a trainwreck. (Also my experiences with fa/tg/uys has been that 80% of them never even show up, and of those that do, half are terrible.)
>>
>>52003004
A tier 6 glaive who masters weaponry (Gauss rifle artifact) can mow down a nuclear spidertank with DR: 5 in three rounds . A jack can do it in four to five rounds.

A tier 6 Jack/Nano who talks to machines can turn said nuclear tachikoma into a pet for ten minutes. A tier 6 Jack/Nano who controls beasts can turn a kaiju/tarrasque into a permapet. All RAW builds. Have you encountered these players and would you allow them to?
>>
File: HLD_Screenshot_01_rise_1080.png (137KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
HLD_Screenshot_01_rise_1080.png
137KB, 1920x1080px
>>52014907
I only ran Beale of Boregal, when I was introducing my players to the game. It's not inspired, it's a pretty standard adventure where someone needs help and you go help them from the goodness of your heart. That's something important that I picked up on with that, there isn't much of a sensible reason for some PCs to go on this adventure. I'd probably avoid this one, and look at the others or make your own.

>>52014554
>>52014467
>>52014399
I personally view intrusions as making things worse for a specific character, so for example if a character has rushed over to a button and presses it.

>Hey Player X, do you accept an intrusion?
Two options here
>Sure!
>A hatch in the floor opens beneath you, and you go tumbling down a set of stairs to the bottom.

>No!
>A hatch opens beside you, stairs spiralling down into the basement.

You get the idea. Of course, you can use them to push the story, or just put whatever you were going to use in an intrusion into action without giving anyone XP, so they can't refuse.
>>
>>52015131
All prescription, no proof of principles.
>>
>>52015216

Talking like some spergy weirdo is sure to change my mind about running an impromptu solo game for you.
What did I prescribe, huh?
>>
>>52015854
You're trying to run a cock cannibal RPG, I don't think you're going to get responses from anyone but cock cannibals.
>>
>>52017010

Okay, one, I didn't say anything about running Numenara -- if I was going to run with no prep I'd pick a system I already know rather than one I foolishly came to this thread to read about, and two, this meme is really dumb.
>>
>>52015854
Acriflex?
proscribe
>>
>Nu Men Era

Enjoy your Mpreg
>>
>>52014467
My most recent intrusions:

>My players asked a drug dealer how to find a gang boss. The dealer told them... and then told the gang boss. The players got the intrusion when their ambush was ambushed.
This was an intrusion because I didn't roll spot checks or anything, and there really wasn't much to suggest that the drug dealer would flip on them that fast. Also, partially because I didn't want them to take out this guy so easily.

>One of my players was covered in a toxin, so another player asked if there was a water pipe he could shoot. There was... but there was also a drought in the area. Once he shot the water pipe he got swarmed by an angry mob.
This was an intrusion because instead of reminding the player about a background detail before he committed to the action, I really wanted to give him a much stronger idea about how bad this situation was. I also could've had people yell at him, but angry mob was much more interesting.

There was a third one that session, but I can't remember.

Point is, intrusions happen when you take a direct hand in the story, and want to be kind to your players about it. They don't have to be 'a door slams shut and you fall down a pit'.
>>
>>52017966
Last one I used was having one of my characters, who is a small tree-like creature, seen by a very very Spanish Inquisition style Aeon Priest, who demanded that he be handed over for "Study." It worked pretty well, managed to get the group invested pretty heavily in the story of that area, which ended up with them being teleported into orbit of Jupiter.

The natural conclusion, of course.
>>
>>52017966
>>52018064
>>52017966
>>52018064
>pretending you've played this shit game
>pretending anyone else has either
top lel
>>
>>52019385
Sure, in the same place as that video of Trump watching the golden shower and David Cameron fucking a severed pig's head.
>>
>>52019440
so it is true. then who is fucking shanna?
>>
>>52014907

I really liked Nightmare Switch. I've looked into running BoB but it looks convoluted af. Like the look of Seedship but my players aren't ready for that shit yet.
>>
>>52019774
No you didn't and nobody else did either. Your game is terrible and you are a failure.
>>
>>52014907
>>52019774

Can anybody think of good published adventures for other games that would translate well? Especially non-shootemups?
>>
>>51999459
I used to hold it up as the perfect example of everything that was wrong with both DnD and White Wolf at that particular point in time (and also an example of how Monte Cook is ridiculously overrated - seriously, he has some skill, but is nowhere near the virtuoso people pretend he is.)
>>
File: 2ec.png (208KB, 327x316px) Image search: [Google]
2ec.png
208KB, 327x316px
>>51998276
>daggers gain a +3 to attack rolls because they are "very fast to use"
>monte cook in charge of game design
>>
>>52009098
But not worth the disgusting price tag.
>>
>>52019831
>hey me and myself, I was wondering if I'd like to pretend to talk to someone else about my transgender rpg

You realize that /d/ does exist, right
>>
>>52019894
I can smell the /v/irgin in here
>>
>>52017273
You're really showing how new you are. You're supposed to complain about nazi mods when that happens, newfag.
>>
>>52019831
Honestly, a lot of standard fantasy adventures could easily be reworked to work in Numenera, all you have to really do is replace any instances of magic with technology that might as well be magic. When you think about it, BoB would work just as well with a powerful sorcerer under the mountain, just as well as a petrified brain hooked up to a machine.

>>52019774
BoB isn't necessarily convoluted, there's only one or two threads to follow, and it's an okay introduction that puts the players in an interesting part of the setting, where they can either go east into Steadfast or west into The Beyond. You'll probably have to explain what the Wandering Walk actually is, because the book doesn't, and it's a big part of the setup for the adventure.
>>
>>52020563
>if I reply to myself people will think I'm talking to someone else
We don't though.
>>
>>52010959
It's not like there was anything to ruin to begin with.
>>
>>52020702
>we failed
>must have been fucking white males that done it to us
pretty typical response to be quite honest
>>
>>51998276
I ran a campaign for it for about a half a year. I enjoyed running it largely, but the setting was kind of underwhelming, as it seems like it was basically Monte trying to do a Book of the New Sun/Dying Earth thing, while drastically missing the point of both. As for the mechanics, Cypher kinda feels like someone mashing FATE and D20 together, while playing to the strengths of neither. I also never really got a handle on the GM intrusion thing, as it always felt really arbitrary when I did it. You might be able to chalk the last one down to my GMing style though.
>>
>>52020757
>still talking to himself
Wow, you're dedicated bro, come inside for a nice glass of lemonade and a slice of human penis
>>
>>52020757
>Cypher kinda feels like someone mashing FATE and D20 together, while playing to the strengths of neither
This is sadly kind of what I expect from a Monte Cook-designed game system. The man is far too in love with d20 and still seems to think system mastery can do no wrong.

>>52020784
>>52020603
You sound oh so very triggered right now and it's hilarious. Why don't you go back to /v/ to whine that everything that makes you feel mildly uncomfortable is tumblr.
>>
>>52020563

I'm almost wondering, though, if there's anything I could steal from Eclipse Phase. That seems like the logical place to go. I don't know all that much about EP though.
>>
>>52021094
>>52020757

Does FATE have this attributes as pools thing? That's the main thing I'm finding that I do like about the Cypher system.

I ask because I did get that book for Baroque Space Opera and I'd love to run that sometime, but have zero experience with FATE.
>>
File: a glorious don awaits.jpg (81KB, 724x724px) Image search: [Google]
a glorious don awaits.jpg
81KB, 724x724px
>>52021094
>been on desperate samefagging duty for like a week straight to defend mlady cock cannibal rpg
>claiming anyone else on the planet seems triggered
>>
>>52021094
>>52021139
>>52021164
>fate
>shit phase
>nu-men-era
kek it's the holy trinity of numale rpgs
>>
>>52021242
>>52021233
Literally why do you keep posting if you don't like it so much?
>>
>>52021233
>samefagging
Multiple people don't samefag, newfag
Now let the adults talk and go back to the kiddie table.

>>52021164
Fate uses a pool system but has inherently no attributes, just skills, your skill value gets added to a pool of four dice instead.
>>
File: oh baby.png (481KB, 696x802px) Image search: [Google]
oh baby.png
481KB, 696x802px
>>52021558
>multiple
>people
>>
>>52021587
Yes, we know you're too functionally retarded to count as people.
>>
>>52021653
Wow don't you think that's a little ableist? Cut off 10 slices of your penis and feed them to Monte as punishment.
>>
>>52021164
Yeah, I liked the pools as a way to simulate exhaustion too, though I'm not the biggest fan of FATE. Ultimately, I'm pretty meh on Numenera. I went in expecting a unique setting and a unique system. For the setting, I ended up just getting standard D&D, but with "It's sufficiently advanced technology, I ain't gotta explain shit." For the system, I ended up getting two systems I don't like much smashed together. Neat concept, but Monte botched the execution pretty bad.
>>
>>52022984
Good thing he wasn't in charge of severing the penis himself, he'd probably botch that execution too
>>
>>51998276
I think it's a boring and lackluster setting.

The system is kind of neat, but I can never see myself actually running it.
>>
>>52002762
Do you not know what "generally" means? Even if there are a variety of opinions and no one open, most people here tend not to like it. He's not claiming to speak for everyone, but giving a brief summary based on how many people talk about not liking it.
>>
>>52023894
Yeah it's one thing to be cringy fanfic about some weirdly specific autogynephilia related fetishes, but the fact that it's boring too is just ridiculous. How could you try so hard to shove all your weird fetish shit into an RPG and still have it come out so fucking boring?
>>
It's Anthony Burch's favorite game.
>>
>>52024009
I doubt it, there aren't any masculine characters to fuck his character's wife
>>
>>52000909
>Then you have the baffling design decision to only let the characters carry a limited amount of arcanotech. The most distinct and interesting part of the setting, and it's deliberately gimped.
This is done to force players to use the numenera instead of hoarding them for unlikely situations. When you can only carry so many, there's an imperative to use them.
>>
>>52024460
What's with the nutcases on /the/ lately? Numenera is a shit game for a host of reasons but the cypher limit isn't one of them.
>>
>>52024499
What's the in-universe justification for the cypher limit, anyway?
>>
>>52019886

Who the hell buys books?
>>
Wish there were more games in the science fantasy genre.
>>
File: RODGARH HATES FALLING.png (103KB, 1702x880px) Image search: [Google]
RODGARH HATES FALLING.png
103KB, 1702x880px
>>51998276
>Realizing how much time in the past I've spent posting in a bait thread
>>
>>52024527
From the book:
>CYPHER DANGERS
>Each character has a limit on the number of cyphers that she can carry at any given time. The idea is that cyphers can be dangerous when gathered together. But this idea is just Ninth World common sense, some of
which might be based on incorrect observations. Although most cyphers are inherently unstable, will there be a terrible explosion if a fist-tier glaive gathers three cyphers in his fit at the same time? Probably not. Can a character tuck six pills into a pouch without dying of radiation poisoning? Almost certainly.

If you go over the limit, you roll on a 1d100 and add 10 for each cypher over the limit; on a 1-60 nothing happens, on a 61-70 nothing happens other than ominous signs unless you roll it two days in a row, and bad shit starting to happen on a 71+, ranging from one of your cyphers breaking at 71-80 to the character and all their equipment being consumed by a black hole that exists for a nanosecond at 201+.
>>
>>52024527
>>52024726

Basically, since you don't know what you're doing with any of this crap, the more different things you have on you, the more you risk mixing your ammonia and your bleach or doing something equivalently stupid and wrecking yourself. At least that's my understanding.
>>
>>52024726
The cypher limit does kinda make sense, as a gameplay mechanic and in universe. In play it at least forces the players to pick their cyphers, if not use them.

Speaking of cyphers, the list in the technology compendium is pretty impressive. There's about 500 of them in that book, and some pretty interesting ideas.
>>
Hey, guys! I'm new to the thread, just wanted to share my collection on what I've found about Numenera. It has literally everything there is on MCG and some of Ryan Chaddock's. If you posess anything useful to add - I would like you to share with me.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uy6nalbfcak9ime/AABg9SLPwoFlVdkKlFzbCEX5a?dl=0
>>
>>51998276
I don't care about Numenera desu
>>
>>52027005
Thanks my dude. Got any gamelogs or footage of con adventures?
>>
>>52029175
Sorry, no logs or footage whatsoever. And I would find them useless for you even if I had. I'm from Russia and we mostly play in Russian :3
>>
>>52027005
Thanks for this my dude, really nice stuff!
>>
>>52002762
>it's THIS easy to bait niggers
epic
>>
>>52003131
muh boogeyman
>>
>>51999913
>>51999973

>no sex
>"lmao u sjews r prudish faggots affraid of REAL MEN"
>discusses sex, especially all the weird shit people will do with weird shit they find
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE IT'S NOT PEEN-IN-VAGOO

They're just afraid of real meat.
>>
>>52036810
Wow I'm glad you were here to respond to your own post about that. I for one really appreciate it.
>>
>>52038042
Do you know how this site works, newfag.
>>
File: bucket of water for the witch.png (921KB, 996x842px) Image search: [Google]
bucket of water for the witch.png
921KB, 996x842px
>>52038398
>triggered retard gets caught obviously samefagging and then starts slinging around newfags
>>
>>52004757
>that cover
sold
>>
What I'm wondering is why people are okay with caster supremacy as core game design in this age, and how some can look at themselves in the mirror after claiming that Glaive is a useful member of a party past the first tier.
>>
The setting completely failed to grab me as a tabletop game, but Torment has made me interested in it now.

As for the mechanics? No idea if they're good. They're serviceable in Torment, which is all you really need.
>>
>>52040871
This is another way I think that Numenera shows it isn't really built around combat, I haven't got to higher tiers yet but the Glaive in our group has been doing more than just combat, he's been helping solve puzzles etc. If it was a more combat heavy game, I figure he would be more powerful than the others, but I haven't looked at high level nano esoteries. Is there a big imbalance at high tiers?
>>
>>52040871
It's a loud minority of grognards and people who just don't know any better.
>>
>>52040986
In a word: yes.

But that's to be expected from a Cook game, what with him being a man who thought what D&D 3E really needed is a nerf to martials and buff to casters.
>>
>retarded penis cannibals still trying to defend Nu Men Era

Just go watch all the wesley crusher scenes from TNG on repeat, it's the same thing
>>
>>52041176
Do you actually have reasons for hating it so much, or are you chained to the bandwagon by the balls?
>>
File: joe camel.png (1MB, 1128x686px) Image search: [Google]
joe camel.png
1MB, 1128x686px
>>52041188
>hundreds of people trash a game non-stop for years
>y-you only hate it because those n-nine hundred and nintey nine other people hate it

When will cock cannibals just give the fuck up and go back to watching camel podcasts?
>>
>>52041206
I get it, man, you saw people shitposting and thought you'd get in on the fun. Everyone has that phase. You don't need to pretend.
>>
>>52041225
What you say must be true Or Nu Men Era would have never been written

Seriously though the game isn't all bad, once you're done prepping the bull in a ritual to discard your sexual identity you can get into the male pregnancy machine and carry a child to term. Thanks Monte!
>>
DAILY REMINDER THAT MONTE COOK DESIGNER OF NUMENERA WAS FIRED FROM WIZARDS OF THE COAST FOR USING THE COMPANY EXPENSE ACCOUNT TO FLY TO JAPAN AND PARTICIPATE IN AN "ART" SHOW WHERE THE "ARTIST" COOKED UP AND SERVED SLICES OF A SEVERED HUMAN PENIS TO THE AUDIENCE.

ONCE HE WAS FREE OF THE CORPORATE ENVIRONMENT HE RAN STRAIGHT OUT AND WROTE AN RPG ABOUT FORCED GENDER CHANGE, C&BT, CASTRATION, MALE PREGNANCY AND ESSENTIALLY EVERY OTHER AUTOGYNEPHILE FETISH.
>>
>>52041237
All jokes aside, I get people not liking a system, but I find the intense hate and retarded implications regarding it to do nothing but weaken the points.
There's plenty wrong with it, from Cook's raging boner for casters showing through to the setting coming off as too much of a kitchen sink. But instead of saying a thing about that, all you find in these threads is people acting (for a lack of a better term) intensely triggered and outraged by the mere idea someone might possibly enjoy it or consider playing it.
Hence, shitposting.
>>
File: fact.jpg (27KB, 600x733px) Image search: [Google]
fact.jpg
27KB, 600x733px
>>52041258
>>
>>52041259
I think that all the people who constantly hate on this game are just disgusted by the fanfiction-tier fetish shit that Monte Cook-me up another slice of that penis included in the game.

What interests me in a morbid kinda way is why you would continue to defend it knowing that it's full of fetish shit. Are you an autogynephile?
>>
>>52009039
Could you explain what all the drama was about? Somehow I'm getting the feeling this guy's >>52003131 leaving something out.
>>
>>52041313
>pervert worked on planescape
>planescape got shoehorned into a setting for a computer game
>computer game becomes a classic after they stop making good computer games
>fast forward to the kikescammer era
>pervert has been fired from d&d at this point and made his own setting
>kikescammers hoping to cash in on the reputation of classic video game give pervert pennies to use his new setting
>new setting has the perversion entirely unleashed because pervert has no real job
>kikescammers don't give a fuck, make trash game using pervert setting
>game bombs utterly because it's just a cheap cash grab
>shills spend four days replying to every bad review calling anyone who doesn't like it a literal nazi
>shitty new game gets forgotten entirely when the new zelda comes out
And you are here.
>>
>>52041291
Anything that may be perceived as magical realm bullshit is a relatively small part of the setting - to the point where no one I've spoken to outside of these threads actually took note. And while I'm sure you'll take that as an excuse to bust out some implications about the company I keep, the fact is that most people can overlook weird shit in a setting designed to be weird. Too weird, if you ask me - hence the kitchen sink comment - but that's not the point.
I don't see the entire board up in arms about PF being played just because there were a few cringe-fest monsters written up (the one which read like a mixture between body horror and unbirthing fanfiction comes to mind). Because, to nobody's great surprise, some people writing disgusting shit in no way impacts the system and setting as a whole unless you choose to include it in a game.

As for my defence of it? It's largely a simple matter of objecting to people getting ass-blasted about subjects on the basis of made-up rumours, tangential evidence and dislike of the creator. I can somewhat understand those who object to it on the ground of assuming parts of the settings are Cook's fetish fuel, as offended sensibilities is actually a valid reason to dislike something, but it's an assumption nonetheless - and there's better way to present your case against something than shitposting and tossing implications about Cook literally eating a dick.
>>
>>52019440
>Trump watching the golden shower
Holy shit somebody actually got it right for once!
>>
>>52041348
>nobody objects to the perversion in pathfinder
Yes they do.

>therefore objecting to the perversion in Nu Men Era is not legitimate

Yes it is.

So you're an autogynephile who is willing to spend days and days and days defending your fetish game. Gotcha.
>>
>>52041362
I'm not sure why I expected an actual response rather than misconstruing my post and ad hominems.

I didn't say people don't object to PF magical realm shit. I said they don't shit up every thread about the setting with the same complaints and stifle discussion.

And specifically said people objecting to Numenera on account of the supposed fetish shit are in their rights to do so, I just wish they did that in a better way than what you're doing right now.
>>
File: monte1.png (94KB, 765x403px) Image search: [Google]
monte1.png
94KB, 765x403px
>and the cycle is complete
>pol has become the SJW menace
the parallels are staggering
>>
>>52041387
>stifle discussion
Oh you mean bump your shit thread where only you are samefagging in it?

While you try to pretend to be a disinterested third party who's just here to call out some shitposters, I think the truth is readily apparent. You're a deviantart-tier fetishist who is obsessed with genital mutilation, male pregnancy and or one of the other disgusting fetishes espoused by this game and you're furiously masturbating to the thought of someone accidentally being exposed to it with the same fervor that your fellow autogynephiles are jizzing themselves thinking about showing off their cocks to some children in the ladies room.

You're a sick piece of shit, dude.
>>
>>52041337
>>shills spend four days replying to every bad review calling anyone who doesn't like it a literal nazi
So they attempted a variant of the ghostbusters defence?

Also were you guys really just bothered by the fact it had weird sex shit in it? Let cucks be cucks, isn't that what jesus said? Something like that.
>>
>>52041426
I think they knew better than to go online and actually claim they were being fursecuted by people not liking their cock cannibal game, I mean they didn't want to accidentally get it removed from steam.

But no, the game is entirely terrible beyond the fetish shit that they forced into it, just kikescammer trash.
>>
File: samefag galore.png (782B, 101x18px) Image search: [Google]
samefag galore.png
782B, 101x18px
>>52041411
No, I mean shut down any argument that isn't raving about Cooke eating dicks.
As for samefagging, of course. It has to be just me and 67 people who hate it. There is no other option.

I can't tell if you're actually this mad about the game, incredibly bored, or just really into this whole shitposting thing. But good for you, anyway.
>>
File: pol lice.jpg (57KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pol lice.jpg
57KB, 500x500px
>the bad game triggers me
>>
>>52041405
So who have /pol/ gotten fired?

What speaking events have /pol/ shut down?

Where have /pol/ blocked streets?

When did /pol/ try to overturn the result of a democratic election by intimidating public officials?

/pol/ fucking wishes they had become the sjw menace.
>>
>>52041467
They have no power (or just balls, in case of taking to the streets) to do any of it, fortunately, but it's more or less guaranteed they'd do all of these things if they could.

Horseshoe theory is right.
>>
>and now I'm going to show him that there really is a thriving and vibrant penis cannibalism community by posting on my cell phone

I'd tell you to cut it out but I try not to encourage the mentally ill.
>>
>>52041478
You're really hung up on this dick eating thing, aren't you. Did you actually bother to see how much of it is true, or are you stuck to /pol/'s collective asshole too hard to see?
>>
>>52041489
>everyone is /pol/
>everyone is a nazi
>everyone is gamergate
>everyone disagrees with me
>everyone is the problem but me

Damn man, a look into your thought process gets dark pretty fast. How do you cope? Do the hormones in those severed dicks help stave off your crippling depression?
>>
>>52041477
>they'd totally do it if they could!
Wow what an utterly un-falsifiable argument to present how in god names am I supposed to even respond to that? Also the poster I was respond to said they had "become" the SJW menace, not that they'd be just as bad in some parallel universe where all the conditions were different. I sure hope you're not the same poster, that would be very dishonest of you to just change your position like that.

>Horseshoe theory is right.
That may be true but at the moment one side of the horseshoe is much more worrying then the other, I'd rather get called a nigger then be assaulted in public for wearing a red hat with writing on it.
>>
>>52041502
The hormones are in the balls not the dick anon jesus christ read a book!
>>
>>52041502
>quote from man calling people autogynephiles because they have an opinion
>>
>>52041502
>oh no, he's onto my lack of proof, better start implying
>>
>>52041505
Don't bother, doublethink is what they do best.

Remember, cultural marxists are the most honest people you will ever meet if you simply remember that they project who they really are onto their enemies.
>>
>>52041502
Listen, dude, you're making everyone from /pol/ look stupider every time you bring up severed dicks. It's not physically possible for Monte Cook to have been involved in the dick cannibalism incident, and I made a post disproving it in an attempt at ending this retarded argument that the mods deleted because "not /tg/ related".

Now can we please stop it with the baseless slander, please, and get back to discussing the actual game?

So, in an attempt at getting this back on track: how well does Gods of the Fall work, compared to its competitors like Exalted or Godbound?
>>
>>52042522
>everyone is /pol/
>It's not physically possible for Monte Cook to have been involved in the dick cannibalism incident
>I made a post disproving it

lol keep telling yourself that you human penis slice eater
>>
>>52042522
Holy shit this guy really is Monte Cook. Like for real. He's here trying to deny that he ate the jap cock that one time now that everyone knows about it.

YOU DIDN'T DENY IT WHEN YOU WERE GOING AROUND TRYING TO BE AVANT-GARDE AFTER YOU ATE THE DICK, MONTE. YOU THOUGHT YOU WERE SO COOL THEN, DIDN'T YOU MONTE? NOT SO COOL NOW, IS IT MONTE?
>>
>>52042572
>>52042590
No, you fucking morons, I'm not Monty Cook, and I'm not a shill either. I'm just angry that morons like you are making the rest of us look bad. Monty Cook's age is public knowledge, and so are the ages of the penis cannibals - they are not the same, so he could not have been one of them. /pol/'s greatest strength has always been that its memes were based on truth, so stop shilling shitty, untruthful memes.

Now stop being stupid, admit that you're wrong, and let's get back on topic: the actual game of Numenera and its associated spin-off games. So: how well does Gods of the Fall work, compared to its competitors like Exalted or Godbound?
>>
File: monte penis cannibal cook.jpg (23KB, 220x331px) Image search: [Google]
monte penis cannibal cook.jpg
23KB, 220x331px
>>52042740
>spells Monte Cook wrong on purpose as damage control

Nicely done, Monte. Everyone totally believes you now.
>>
>>52040986
Higher level Nano abilities tend to not be much better then Onslaught, from an efficiency standpoint. At tier 5 the Glaives and the melee-jack were laying down immense amounts of damage and taking huge hits without worrying too much, the nano was pushover.
>>
>>52042740
I'm afraid the emails prove otherwise. Monte Cook was a shareholder in the restaurants at the centre of Pizzagate, where penises were used as salami.
>>
>>52042819
>Mentioning Pizza gate
Anon please, you're embarrassing yourself.

>>52042779
That makes sense honestly, I figure that high tier Nanos will generally tend to be more utility based in combat, because of how many different esoteries they can have. Personally I think I'm just gonna avoid combats most of the time, when you get right down to it they aren't really that necessary to have every session, and most encounters can be dealt with without combat.
>>
>>52042882
Well, it's not like they have more esoteries then the glaive has maneuvers.

Also, you absolutely do want to include combat at least once a session, if only to keep the nano aware of how dangerous his low might is. Now, if the players circumvent the combat that's fine, but you want that danger to be there.
>>
File: Beanstalk.jpg (62KB, 278x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Beanstalk.jpg
62KB, 278x1000px
Also picture tax because this thread has not enough eye candy. In my game I've changed the beanstalk into a much taller building, and I plan on modelling it in blender to show my players. I've also decided it's a massive teleporter, and a relay for a hydrogen mining facility in orbit of Jupiter which funnels hydrogen through it into a huge fusion reactor under the surface.
>>
>>52042933
She has been made aware of it pretty heavily in non combat situations, she was taken down to 1 might in a single turn when she ran into a tornado filled with razor sharp particles to rescue the glaive, and then walked into a monomolecular wire trap and almost lost her hand outright, and also most of her might pool. I feel like a lot of the combats in this game can be done just as well as environmental dangers, by it's early days yet so we'll see.
>>
>>52042971
A little bit yes, a little bit no. Bear in mind that the glaives also get weapon training and combat related abilities, so you want to give them the ability to show those off.

I also find that combat tends to drain pools faster then anything else, but if you're throwing enough other hazards then that might not be an issue. Resource attrition does take more work as they get to higher tiers, between the higher edge, stat pools, and recovery rolls.
>>
>>52042779
I think that a lot of the strength of a high-tier nano comes from the problem solving abilities like teleportation, large-scale item creation, and invisibility that they have outside of raw damage - though if they want high damage, that's what a Focus like Bears a Halo of Fire or Wields Power With Precision comes in handy.
>>
>>52042942
>I've also decided it's a massive teleporter,

Why? It's not like Numenera doesn't have enough teleporters and hyperdimensional portals. Why not let the space elevator just be a space elevator? That's its thing.
>>
Anyone else loves Crafts Uniques Objects as much as I do? Turns your character into Batman. It's a joy subverting the mage-bias stigma of Cook games in this particular system using just that particular focus. I rolled a mechanical glaive who crafts and one-ups nano npcs who are a tier or two greater than him. Current bodycount 3. Cyphers are an overlooked resource. There are approximately 40 esoteries but virtually infinite number of cyphers--one-use spells.
>>
>>51998276
The Era of Nu-Men
>>
>>52044096
Yes, Monte loves crafting unique pizzas, with a very special salami
>>
File: 1488172705701.jpg (164KB, 708x733px) Image search: [Google]
1488172705701.jpg
164KB, 708x733px
>>51998276
Nu-Men Era is Onyx Path tier shit
>>
File: tumblr_nf76e3wxpJ1sadc4zo1_1280.jpg (144KB, 788x1013px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nf76e3wxpJ1sadc4zo1_1280.jpg
144KB, 788x1013px
I was thinking I'd actually run a Gods of the Fall game as a potential filler for my group. Anyone that has any experience? It's not Numenera, but it is the Cypher System, so I thought I'd ask here.

On a related subject, any thoughts on the idea of granting players two Foci instead of just one? I think it sounds interesting and should still be relatively balanced since they're still limited by their pools, but is it something I simply shouldn't do?
>>
>>52044299
Well, depends on how diligent you are as a gm since doubling their foci doubles the solutions they can bring to bear on what you throw at them. Hey, if you're confident about how quickly you can think on your feet, go for it. Me, I'm sticking to the more traditional second focus as a reward past tier 6, which hasn't happened yet. Then again some foci are pretty shitty.
>>
>>52044297
You are the male human fighter tier of rpg fans, hth.
>>
File: tumblr_mkr6i7J4oz1qmr4eao1_500.jpg (62KB, 500x628px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mkr6i7J4oz1qmr4eao1_500.jpg
62KB, 500x628px
Anyone that happens to have the Gods of the Fall - Somorrah in Soulrest, by the way? Can't find it anywhere.

>>52044375
Yeah, I was thinking I'd simply police what they're allowed to take, to avoid them stacking bonuses. For example, the Gazes into the Abyss Focus is out, even though it's appropriate for the setting and usually pretty shitty on it's own, unless they happen to want to pair it with something that's also really shitty (and doesn't give a bunch of passive bonuses).

I just think that a single Foci doesn't necessarily give that much, and it's hard to play many roles that would be cool, like you either play a telepath *or* a psychokineticist, and you play either someone that can learn to fly *or* someone that's strong.

I also hope that this will make less "fantastical" foci more appealing, like Carries a Quiver. Now you're not *just* an amazing archer, combine it with Murders and you're a sniper, or Cast Spells and you're a type of Arcane Archer, and so on.

And not having actually played the Cypher System before, I thought the fact that they're Gods anyway is enough of an excuse. I'm used to games where players pull shit out of their ass, and there's already plenty of options from their Types, anyway, so I'm not too worried about having to adapt to their shenanigans. It can't be much worse than having to deal with their cyphers, anyway, no?
>>
File: A9R1CC8.png (1MB, 808x552px) Image search: [Google]
A9R1CC8.png
1MB, 808x552px
>>52044635
>samefag

I've created lists of all the Foci and all the generic Descriptors (not including regional or racial descriptors, with some exceptions) available in all the Cypher games, by the way. Might as well share:

http://pastebin.com/raw/4s479YBf
http://pastebin.com/raw/in8XDd9G
>>
>>51999913

It was just a dumb pandering statement.

>everything is totally crazy and no two villages have the same view of sexual orientations but trannies are accepted literally everywhere
>>
>>52044096
Uh, what? Have you read the crafting rules, bro? Being Batman is basically impossible due to the time and difficulty of crafting anything decent, and unless you just want to be crafting Cyphers, you still need to pay XP for them - at which point you might as well pay the XP and say you found the artifact in a ruin by the side of the road.

If you want to play a crafter, take Makes Something Out of Nothing instead, since you get slightly less normal crafting skills, along with the ability to improvise objects to act as Assets on tests, manufacture a level 5 artifact in 10 minutes at tier 4, and so on and so forth.
>>
>>52044885
That's not really what it says. Also "everything is totally crazy" also means trannies are old hat and nobody is getting shocked by this, unlike you prematurely old polfags.
>>
>>52044672
>Crafts Unique Objects
>Notes: Russian Science-Fantasy Engineer
I kek'd. Curious and very specific description. I'm sure there are more keks to be had under notes.
>>
>>52044956

> trannies are old hat and nobody is getting shocked by this

Why would that be universal when nothing else is?
>>
>>52044635
Biggest consideration is that some foci give more training and some give more active abilities, people who double down on 'active' foci are going to burn their polls quick.

But Monte Cook didn't exactly care about balance anyway, so you're certainly not going to break the game.
>>
>>52044096
One of my players had this focus, but he didn't make cyphers with it. A lot of artifact enhancing, and crafting in his downtime. The skillset allowed him to have a lot of in depth interaction with the different types of Numenera though, and construction was often one of the ways they overcame obstacles.
>>
>>52045232
Its more that because bodies are easily modifiable, changing them in any way isn't as big a deal. The generalized social mores of what constitutes a body have become more open due to the frequency and easy of such changes.

It oversimplifies for the sake of the fantastical, but no more so than 'orcs are always evil' or whatever.
>>
>>52045421
>This guy over here used to have a vagina
>And these 7 dudes used to have separate bodies but Zog now sees all through his ocular pectoral.
>>
>>52045488
Zog really got himself together.
>>
>>52043067
Honestly I just felt like it, I considered it being a space elevator but I just decided it would be more interesting if it was somewhere completely different. Personally I haven't been doing too much teleportation and portals and all that, so it's still quite new. After they're done with the beanstalk I plan on taking it the other direction, doing something underground, maybe time related.

>>52044299
2 Foci should be pretty interesting, just gives them more to do, makes the characters a bit more varied and three-dimensional. It should be pretty balanced, and worst comes to worst you can just say to your players that you'd like to balance things out and change one of their two Foci.

>>52044672
Thanks for this Anon, seems like it'll be a good resource in case I need any more characters made.
>>
File: carlos.png (66KB, 205x205px) Image search: [Google]
carlos.png
66KB, 205x205px
>>52045588

>got himself together

Well done.
>>
Any proof on the Monte Cook penis-eating thing yet?
>>
>>52023974
What the hell are you talking about?
>>
>>52045766

No, someone posted a quote from a contemporaneous article on the art exhibit that had vague details on the five people who were present. None of them were the right age to be Monte Cook. It's totally made up.
>>
>>52002867
O.o what on earth are you finding political about it? Do you just like calling things political?
>>
>>52047624

There was a ton of gender politics nonsense that got pruned.
>>
>>52021708
'Ableist'? Fucking lawled, good joke--making me think for a half second that 'ableist' is a real term.
>>
>>52024569
People that respect and support the hundreds of hours poured into making such books for people to enjoy. i.e. non-scabs with actual money.
>>
>>52038398
You clearly are unfamiliar with the question mark.
>>
>all this samefagging
>all this damage control
>all this penis cannibalism
Go to bed Monte
>>
>>52041266
>muh facts
Shut up you millennial sjw, you LOST.
>>
>>52041467
>When did /pol/ try to overturn the result of a democratic election by intimidating public officials?
Oh please, before the election people were screeching that the dems and soros were rigging the voting machines and everything and if trump didn't win they'd turn to "second amendment solutions" and march on Washington for revolution/assassination and since the election they've been obsessed with sending death threats to pizza places and other businesses over more of their conspiracy theories.
All sides have fucking nutjobs associated with them.
>>
>>52051250
>>52051316
>retarded shitlib redditor commie fucking moron trying his best

Bern victim alert
>>
Can we delete /pol/ like we did with /new/?
>>
>>52051586
>Can we delete
The eternal question that your parents wake up asking themselves in the middle of the night three or four times a week
>>
Torment: Tides of Numenera is making me appreciate the setting a lot more. At the very least I love the visuals letting me actually grasp living in a world absolutely cluttered with supertechnologic relics that nobody understands.
>>
>>52051630
No it isn't and nobody else thinks that either. Your game is terrible and you are a failure.
>>
File: blind date with a numenera fan.jpg (39KB, 480x495px) Image search: [Google]
blind date with a numenera fan.jpg
39KB, 480x495px
>>52051316
>>
>>52051650
>a woman
Sorry, the game is for autogynephiles, not retarded women. If you want a game for retarded women you should try Pathfinder.
>>
>>52051630
play 40k instead
>>
File: 1482636486266.jpg (21KB, 617x507px) Image search: [Google]
1482636486266.jpg
21KB, 617x507px
>>52051636
Are you trying to tell me how I think
>>52051684
So long as chainswords and powerfists exist in 40k, I can't take it seriously at all.
>>
File: comfy.png (633KB, 519x520px) Image search: [Google]
comfy.png
633KB, 519x520px
>>52051726
>>
>>52042942
>>52043067

I've been thinking about the cultural implications of the Beanstalk. Like, how do the locals view it? It seems to me it could be kind of a World Tree or something to people, so I've made the city around it into a holy city, the City of the Umbilical, the cord that gives life to the world. I mean, I think that's a lot more awe inducing than naming it after a vine.
>>
>>52045421
>>52045488

This is a good summary. As much as I'd love a thorough anthropological workup, short of that, I think this is what you get as a section on gender.
>>
>>52052606
No you haven't and nobody else has either. Your game is terrible and you are a failure.
>>
>>52052698
You need to chill my dude
>>
>>52052865
Or what, you'll cut off my penis and eat it?
>>
>>52052951
Yes.
>>
>>52052992
Don't get out the bib just yet Monte
>>
>>52053033
Too late. I'm coming for it.
>>
>>52053040
We know you are, Monte.
>>
>>52052606
People don't view it that way because there's a giant robot in the station at the top that kills everyone who goes up there.
>>
>>52053190
>pretending to have a conversation
Wow really makes me think
>>
>>52053224
Just pack it in dude
>>
>>52053235
Like Monte Cook packs in slices of human penis?
>>
>>52053190

Well, true. It seems like you could do something cosmological with that, but I haven't.
>>
File: john podesta.jpg (53KB, 736x736px) Image search: [Google]
john podesta.jpg
53KB, 736x736px
>>52053347
>still pretending
>>
>>52041259
Christ, I miss when I could just complain about the mechanics of Numenera or Fate and not have people assume that it's because I support some sort of /pol/-based trolling agenda.
If it was necessary, I could rant about Monty Cook for like an hour without ever needing to bring up...the stupid thing mentioned several times in this thread that I only learned about in this thread and refuse to even acknowledge as the kind of thing idiots on the internet say.
>>
>>52052606
The Beanstalk is in the beyond, which means theres almost no civilization around to work with that area. That said you could slap a city on there if you want, it certainly is revered by many.
>>
File: SHITSEEKER FAGS IN DENIAL.jpg (92KB, 625x468px) Image search: [Google]
SHITSEEKER FAGS IN DENIAL.jpg
92KB, 625x468px
>>52053581
>it's not true
>it's impossible!!!

Seriously though I can't be the only one who finds it absolutely hilarious that you like the two biggest penis cannibal RPGs. You're like far too on the nose impersonation of someone like you
>>
File: hajj-tour-packages1-430x280.jpg (25KB, 430x280px) Image search: [Google]
hajj-tour-packages1-430x280.jpg
25KB, 430x280px
>>52053676

I mean, that just makes it great for a long pilgrimage story, doesn't it?
>>
>>52054361
There already is a town at the base of the beanstalk that's built religious shrines for people to visit, so it's just a matter of ramping up scale.
>>
In concept, the world of post-post-post-apocalyptic science-fantasy it builds has its appeal, but the actual engine is awful to the point of salvageable. Anyone who isn't a combat-speced Glaive will get annihilated at the drop of a hat.
>>
>>52054559
>the concept of a tranny-dominated wasteland where men must get pregnant and children must lose their sexual identities has appeal
Guess we found the autogynephile
>>
>>52054946
You're kind of obsessed with this, huh?
>>
File: don't retort.jpg (190KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
don't retort.jpg
190KB, 900x600px
>>52055028

Dude, that was obvious a hundred deleted posts ago. Stop replying to him, he's just gathering (You)'s at this point.
>>
File: top kuk.jpg (112KB, 860x700px) Image search: [Google]
top kuk.jpg
112KB, 860x700px
>>52055028
>the guy desperately samefagging for weeks to promote a tranny rpg is telling someone else that they're obsessed with something
>>
>same picture and picname
>Almost the same op

HI MONTE
HOW YOU DOING
I ACTUALLY KIND OF LIKED THE NEW GAME
>>
>>52055088
Well cut me off a slice and lightly toast it! I'm sure glad you loved my game! Send pics of your crudely fashioned transgenitals to [email protected]
>>
>>52055088
What's that? Nobody's posted the greatest RPG of all, Monte's newest abortion, Invisible Sun?

Here's a few actual quotes from his published materials!
"Invisible Sun is deep. It’s smart. Just like you. Invisible Sun will change the way you play rpgs." How, you ask? Why. by providing rules for one-on-one sessions with the player and GM, apparently!
" It’s not for everyone, but for those of you who do want something deep, lush, and intelligent, it’s what you’ve always been waiting for. "
" Character creation and development is based around story arcs. And we’ve gone further than that."

https://www.montecookgames.com/announcing-the-invisible-sun-rpg/
http://invisiblesunrpg.com/
>>52055105
Seriously though I kind of liked the new game. It's not Ps:T, but nothing ever will be. And there are enough callbacks to Torment in it to make me wiggle like a puppy.
>>
>>52055149
Whoops, you fucked up by pretending there are references to the good torment game in the new one. Nice try though!
>>
>>52055077
I'm pretty sure he's just poking the troll to keep the thread alive.
>>
>>52055167
Nigger you get called Adahn in the first 15 minutes.
>>
>>52055170

One could simply bump, without feeding the troll.
>>
>>52045650
>2 Foci should be pretty interesting, just gives them more to do, makes the characters a bit more varied and three-dimensional. It should be pretty balanced, and worst comes to worst you can just say to your players that you'd like to balance things out and change one of their two Foci.

It's also my understanding that Warriors/Glaives/Vectors/Champions are extremely heavy on the combat and have a hard time contributing outside of combat and generally feeling useful in a system that isn't about the combat. Offering two Foci gives them the chance to get stuff that isn't about murdering things.
>>
>>52055174
Funny you should mention Adahn since you're lying. :^)
>>
>>52055221
>Maybe if I pretend to be talking to someone else again someone will finally believe that I haven't been responding to myself for 4 days straight

Sad, my dude.
>>
>>52054946
For something you hate so much you sure are fixated on it to the exclusion of everything else
>>
>>52055383
it's projecting again!
>>
This thread is terrible and everyone who has posted in it should kill themselves.
>>
>>52055438
kek
>>
>>52055299
wat?
>>
File: monte cook special.jpg (45KB, 470x264px) Image search: [Google]
monte cook special.jpg
45KB, 470x264px
>>52055774
I'LL HAVE TWO NUMBER MONTES
AND A NUMBER MONTE LARGE
>>
File: Numenera.jpg (33KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Numenera.jpg
33KB, 500x375px
>>
>>52002864
>IF I KNEW WHERE TO FIND THE PDFS!
I'll just leave this here.

https://mega.nz/#F!YUASyAxb!Q7ZlQBKo_bzgDu5WxAtrDw
>>
>>52056211
HEY GOD DAMNIT

I DIDN'T WORK AND SLAVE FOR YEARS SO THAT YOU UNGRATEFUL LITTLE SHITS COULD STEAL MY FUCKING GAMES
>>
>>52053581
Improve this thread with your own opinions, then, because now it's ridiculous.

>/pol/ comes and goes "lol cucks penis cannibal"
>libtards are buttmad about /pol/ shitposting and respond with pretty much equal quality
>None of them have any inch of self awareness and ruin a thread that has nothing to do with politics.

I for one would like see people talking about the game, not how pozzed or progressive it is.
>>
File: autogynephiles on the loose.jpg (72KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
autogynephiles on the loose.jpg
72KB, 640x960px
>>52057329
>hey guys new poster here I'm just identical to the retard who's been samefagging this thread for four days but you can tell I'm a different guy because both sides suck really bad doesn't everyone agree
>>
>>52057329
>a thread that has nothing to do with politics.
Well that idea is stillborn the second you mention Numenera. Numenera has everything to do with modernist politics. That being said, that's no excuse to shit up the thread. I simply ignore all the galloping retardation in Numenera/Cypher System, and introduce a healthy dose of verisimilitude by means of sexism.
>>
>>52057669
But the setting is boring unless we get to knock up some old men against their will and then force them to bear the children to term
>>
>>52057669
>modernist
you have no idea what that word means
>>
Hey guys, remember when shit related to gender/transgenderism/gender roles just WASN'T EVEN IN TABLETOP GAMES BECAUSE THAT WASN'T WHAT THEY WERE ABOUT? Remember when we didn't need fucking sidebars for the author to virtue signal? Remember when it was about adventures and cool shit? Remember when, at worst, this shit was left to the individual GM and their group so if they were being a bunch of weirdoes nobody but them heard about it?
Thread posts: 295
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.