[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Villagers(standard d&d setting) will throw a party for adventurers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 866bf84cc2a68e9c96b5bf616c3faa3d.jpg (342KB, 1500x843px) Image search: [Google]
866bf84cc2a68e9c96b5bf616c3faa3d.jpg
342KB, 1500x843px
Villagers(standard d&d setting) will throw a party for adventurers who got rid of bandits who pestered the village. Thing is, it is winter.

What should I pay attention to when designing celebration, since it is winter?

thanks, /tg/roglodites
>>
>>51996697
Big fires, multi-colored lanterns casting light onto the snow, winter-themed decorations such as evergreen boughs and perhaps things that represent a holiday or religious belief among the villagers.

The feast (there will be a feast, right?) should have all manner of warm and spiced beverages, made rich with nutmeg and cinnamon. A large hog, fattened before winter, slaughtered to celebrate the heroes. Roasted over a large fire for hours, enough to feed 50 men with ease. Add more hogs for the people.

Vegetables left from the last harvest are put into stews and soups to hide that they've started to spoil; one consuming the soup would never know what went into it. Huge amounts of breads and grainy foods, brought forth from the village's winter stores and made with fresh ingredients from the larder.

Think hardy, simple, warm, and traditional.
>>
>>51996815
I love this advice. Much appreciated.
>>
>>51996697
...have you never heard of Christmas?

Does /tg/ have to show you the true meaning of Christmas?

Because I don't think /tg/ would be very good at that.
>>
>>51996933
you underestimate our power
>>
>>51996697
Toasty lodge hall packed with peasants with nothing to do but get drunk, because you don't farm in the middle of the winter. Food stores may be supplemented by whatever the hunters managed to bring down. Villagers may try to marry their daughters off to the adventurers. I'd expect to see some class divisions at play, with people like the miller (whose mill everybody has to use) holding status, even if you don't have strict feudal relationships, since in that case it seems likely that the PCs would be dealing with the lord rather than the commoners.
>>
>>51996815
>Vegetables left from the last harvest are put into stews and soups to hide that they've started to spoil
You'd be surprised how long the hearty vegetables kept over winter could last before spoiling with fairly low-tech preservation methods.
Root vegetables can keep through most the winter in a storage cellar and leaving them in the ground past the frost with some covering can actually make them taste sweeter. Even hardy leafed plants like cabbage can last quite awhile.

People didn't just rely on what could last fresh either. Pickling, fermenting, drying; all methods that have existed for ages throughout the world to preserve foods for years in some cases.

>>51997024
Hunted and foraged food would be a huge part. Today things like chestnuts and mushrooms can be expensive in many areas but they used to be the poor man's food.
Deer, boar, ducks and geese, smaller birds and their eggs which many today probably wouldn't consider suitable.

Even with ponds and streams iced over most places develop some form of ice-fishing and not just for fish but prawns and other crustaceans or even turtles which used to be a more common food.
If you live by the sea you're even luckier; when the tide went out it was a virtual supermarket for many peoples throughout history. Many have lost sight of it because of shifting views of what's the norm but overfishing and harvesting has greatly reduced the natural bounty that used to be freely available. Oysters were another poor man's food in many places in the past, not just because they were much more plentiful but because they were larger, our harvesting methods actually apply evolutionary pressure to select for smaller specimen because we take the big ones.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.