[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I'm about to start a 13th Age campaign, and a player

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 13AgeLogoFull-Transparent.png (160KB, 800x801px) Image search: [Google]
13AgeLogoFull-Transparent.png
160KB, 800x801px
So, I'm about to start a 13th Age campaign, and a player wants to be a Barbarian.

>herewego.jpg

I told him Barbarian is kinda terrible, and that he'd be better off with Stalwart, and I showed him that class. Nope, he wants a Barbarian. I tried to convince him to go Fighter, and nope, he wants a Barbarian. So let it not be said that I don't work with my players. I want to fix Barbarian for him, so he can play one.

What's the best way to go about this? Their biggest problems are, as I understand, low AC with not enough HP to make up for it, their Rage has too high a recharge and thus basically can only be used once a rest (and it's not even that great), and they get nothing interesting at all from leveling up, making them boring on top of underpowered.

Now, the first question to ask: Anyone with experience in 13th Age, in your opinions, is Barbarian cripplingly underpowered, or can they still function as a class and offer fun gameplay? Would they need a full party, or can they get by with only one or two other PCs (assuming encounters are built with there only being two PCs in mind)? If yes for both, I don't really need to tweak it other than trying to make it more interesting.
>>
>>51989242

Make rage recharge 11+ and it pretty much fixes everything about them. That's what my group does.
>>
>>51989284
Everything? I mean, the problem that they're boring as fuck is still an issue. Even Fighters manage to be interesting, but Barbarians and Rangers in this game...
>>
>>51989242
Their biggest weakness is being remarkably fragile, especially considering rangers have the same base HP and yet their natural AC is much higher. A rough solution might be to just make their base HP 8, and maybe add a point of PD or even AC to them.
>>
I'm interested in 13th Age, a 4E fan who's looking for a similar flavor in a simpler game. How is it?
>>
>>51989242
Long time 13th Age GM here. I haven't noticed significant balancing issues in actual play. I'd say let him play what he wants and tweak the stats down the line if it becomes necessary. Some 3rd party materials like 101 Feats and Talents may also be something to look into, plus other official options that came out on the website or 13th Age Monthly.
>>
>>51992978
Rituals are more flexible, require fewer actual resources (unless there's narrative merit to making things complicated) but require negotiation with the GM. In fact, that more or less describes the gist if the system overall. Movement tactics are highly simplified. Class complexity and abilities vary more but the 4e influence is plenty recognizable. Think of 13th Age as a more narratively-oriented cousin to 4e.
>>
File: 8907-2140-31146.jpg (19KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
8907-2140-31146.jpg
19KB, 320x240px
What is 13th Age?
>>
>>51989242
Why did you offer an unadjusted class list to begin with?
>>
>>51989242
Look at the Fury on the homebrew wikia. Muuuuch more mechanically interesting.
>>
>>51993793

see >>51993276

>Think of 13th Age as a more narratively-oriented cousin to 4e.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.