[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some elements of the culture of the Americas that might

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 57

File: 1403923399614.jpg (90KB, 650x905px) Image search: [Google]
1403923399614.jpg
90KB, 650x905px
What are some elements of the culture of the Americas that might be interesting or unique in a fantasy setting?

I'm asking this because usually fantasy is focused more strongly on European culture and history - which I find cool, but as a Burgerlander I can't necessarily relate to those ideas all that well. To make a setting interesting, you should use what you know or what hasn't been explored as much. This is not necessarily a 'what if America was fantasy setting' question, but more 'what has happened or is interesting in America that hasn't been explored in a fantasy setting?'

Think like the idea of a untamed frontier, or Southern and Northern cultural differences.
>>
Well the idea of the 'new world' is an interesting one to explore in fantasy. Just the idea of discovering and exploring a previously unknown, inhabited landscape completely isolated from the cultures you just came from, could be an interesting campaign premise. The other obvious direction is the american frontier, Wild West rpgs are reasonably common.
>>
>>51987241
manifest destiny, the unwavering idea that the frontiers will be settled so you better get out there and take a piece for yourself.
>>
>>51987241
rapid social mobility
>>
>>51987241
If you wanna stay away from the western theme, which I personally think is criminally underused, go for an 1800's witch hunter theme. Your party are devout Christians that are trying to deal with a secret coven. The coven has been turning women into witches and granting them fucked up satanic powers, children have also gone missing in alarming amounts.
>>
>>51987241
Native American folklore and monsters. Things like wendigos and thunderbirds
>>
Western and Colonial are overused.

Backwoods Americana is criminally underused. When I finally get around to running an American D&D game, it's going to have a sort of voodoo-on-the-bayou meets "O Brother Where Art Thou" vibe.

Witches exist; the evil ones will hex you with the evil eye, but the good ones distill the best moonshine. If you walk into a crossroads at midnight, Old Nick might challenge you to a fiddlin' contest. Old plantation-houses abandoned after the War ended are haunted by Confederate soldier haints. The handsome feller in the candy cane pinstripe suit and the Panama straw hat may just be an honest carnival-barker (or street-singer or banjo-player…), but then again, just maybe there's some sinister sorcery behind his fast-talk and Yankee-tradin'. Anyway, all I know is that I don't want to go up north—I don't believe in Injun nonsense like "wendigos", but I sure as sin don't want to run into the Jersey Devil!
>>
>>51987241
For a sin leitmotif, a good one for Americas is Pride. Where's evil kings in fantastical europe pillage villages and lock up maidens out of Greed, Wrath or Lust, Americans will commit atrocities with the most bare faced hypocrisy on the planet. They are utterly convinced of their own righteousness and superiority in all their ventures, and will actively reject any evidence to the contrary they might be wrong, even as it comes directly from the deity whose will they claim to carry out.
>>
File: Monsters.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Monsters.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51987241
Use American monsters!
>>
>>51987241
South American revolutionary wars, complete with secret sects, weird religions and cultural friction.
>>
File: 4986781.jpg (243KB, 517x741px) Image search: [Google]
4986781.jpg
243KB, 517x741px
Giants and the idea of going to the end of the world and finding weird shit, maybe the remains of a civilization that lived in the Not!Antartica or something.
>>
>>51989856
Don't forget Sloth and Gluttony for the stereotype trifecta.

Also, what about the rest of the TWO WHOLE CONTINENTS?
>>
>>51990651
All of America is Pride's land. 99% of Mexico's problems come from "Why the fuck should I change, it's you fuckers you aren't doing shit right or working hard enough", 1% drugs and a religious devotion to the worst sport on earth. And all sudacas are legendary for how fucking full of themselves they are.

Canada may be the least proud nation on the new world and their excessive niceness and humility may actually be a form of pride in itself.
>>
>>51987241

I don't want to sound too sjw-ist, but:

Genocide and generically pushing the idea of one-sided progress.

No, seriously. The frontier myth is based on the idea of the natives being not-totally human, people without agency. And the "good savage" myth is this as much as the "bad savage" myth in this regard, interestingly enough.

Also: cities means corruption. The frontier means perhaps danger, but it's simpler, purer.
Nature isn't really "the enemy" (this is almost unheard of in fantasy nowdays, but still): or at least it's not that much feared, it's more a source of awe, perhaps a crucible for the chosen ones. Interestingly when the west was at it's golden age, people were already decrying the death of wilderness in the US.

Religion is an interesting idea here, because while the christian ideas were univeral there never was a unified church for all. And to an extent the churches in America were always bottom-up, more than in Europe anyway.

Progress might be an interesting to play with, but you might fall into the trappings of stereotypical magitech (basically our old tech with some special effects) easily.

Possibly the race issue (i always felt DND in particular was heavily touched by that, deep inside). What if there is a huge influx of overseas (extraplanar, whatever) halfling working at your local magitech rail? What if there is a war about orc slavery?
>I like the idea of a magical civil war because it could mean an idea of society vs another one

And overall, oddly enough: republican ideas. I mean, in fantasy you always see kings, dukes, bishops, perhaps university people or mechants in charge (and the upper-middle class is criminally underused in "european" fantasy politcs anyway but that's another point).
Consider this: your average town under your average evulz undead horde approaching. Better yet, just rumors at the time. Are you heroes bad enough dudes to actually get Joe the half orc crazy farmer work with Beth the elven preacher?
>>
>America
>culture

Don't make me laugh op
>>
>>51991721
I know you're memeing but

>America
>The United States

[maple syrups internally]
>>
>>51991659

Also, guns. Well, not guns per se, but the idea that Colt made all men equal.

It's not really an american thing, just an second industrial age thing, but I think it's interesting if you compare that even with more "frontier-like" pseudo-medieval settings.Your not!Viking has an axe like every other not!Viking (execpt that guy with a snazzy sword...), but that depended still on his strength. In the 1800's weapons really were more or less accesible to every one execpt the poorest and had the same lethality. Sure, there is the gunslinger archetype and some people were of course better at shooting others, but it's interesting as an idea.
>>
File: appalachian-mountains-003.jpg (440KB, 1536x1024px) Image search: [Google]
appalachian-mountains-003.jpg
440KB, 1536x1024px
>>51987241
The bayou and >>51989764
Also, the fact that the american continent shifts between different sorts of terrains so quickly and so variably means that you could potentially have a fantasy 'new world' that the further you go, the more different it gets, with no real telling of how it'll be.

Oh, also frontiersmen-- but not cowboys, I mean fur-trappers and old-fashioned manifest destiny guys who scream about their faith, point west, and start marching with torches, guns, and pitchforks.

Crusades are some rough shit, but you know what'll scare someone more than a bunch of professional soldiers? A bunch of their own neighbors looking frenzied and ready to kill for some land and a fucking mule.

Bonus: The Year Without a Summer (1816) could be used for some rough horror.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsT1P5YQWoo I wish some of my friends weren't so eurocentric bastards, I could have some fun with this shit. The Appalachian and Smoky mountains during the midpoint of fall is my favorite look.
>>
File: We have this thread every day.jpg (37KB, 396x382px) Image search: [Google]
We have this thread every day.jpg
37KB, 396x382px
>>51987241
Oh look, it's the "Americans feels bad, because they lack history and culture" thread again!
>>
>>51987241
Read more Botkin.
>>
File: Do you see..png (645KB, 1028x451px) Image search: [Google]
Do you see..png
645KB, 1028x451px
>>51992296
Oh look, it's the "Americans lack a history and culture" anon again!
>>
>>51992418
He's right, you know.
>>
File: 2826493781937.png (2MB, 1245x668px) Image search: [Google]
2826493781937.png
2MB, 1245x668px
>>51992442
>>
The same people who say that America lacks a culture and a history are the same people who complain about the negatives in America's history and it pushing its culture on the world through media.
>>
>>51992296
OP here - I did say Americas. North America, South America, doesn't matter to me. Throw in Canada or throw in Argentina, there's good stuff in them and everything between.
>>
>>51987241
"Hidden" or "Barbaric" civilizations that are actually massively advanced. The Mesoamerican city which sits where Mexico City now does- Tenochtitlan- was actually one of the most, if not the most, heavily populated cities in the entire damn world. Only problem was that their weapons didn't do much to steel, and the flu killed anyone who didn't get shot, run over with horses, or chopped up with sabers.
>>
>>51992475
Haven't yet thumbed through the later issues, but Flora and Fauna was pretty good.
>>
File: 1418802639230.gif (3MB, 291x188px) Image search: [Google]
1418802639230.gif
3MB, 291x188px
>>51991749
Gunslinger and Rifleman would be some pretty neat character types.
Especially if you can Lucas McCain or Ben Cartwright your way through different encounters through a heart-to-heart or with a few doses of .44-40 and flair.

Or get into a desert race, but bend the rules a bit with a camel like Paladin.
>>
>>51992296
>this tired meme

Germany's existed for only about half as long and somehow they get away with it?
>>
File: 1486604374087.jpg (259KB, 900x883px) Image search: [Google]
1486604374087.jpg
259KB, 900x883px
>>51992612
We get a lot talk about Aboriginal mythical shit here on /tg/.

Not a lot of show or explanations past Coyote or Raven are jerks.
>>
>>51992746
Things to watch as reference
>Gunsmoke
>The Rifleman
>The Lone Ranger
>Have Gun, Will Travel
>F Troop
>Bonanza
>Hell on Wheels
>>
>>51992810
Don't forget Hondo, Laramie and The Big Valley.
>>
>>51992840
Don't forget Once Upon a Time in the West and the Dollars movies.
>>
>>51992296
>Europeans put all the people they don't want in Europe in the same place
>they somehow think this will end well

I AM YOUR SINS MADE FLESH
>>
>>51992877
>implying Australia
They did it twice
>>
>>51992855
Not to mention My Name is Nobody
>>
>>51987241
Quipu.
>>
File: 1479484157019.png (80KB, 450x480px) Image search: [Google]
1479484157019.png
80KB, 450x480px
>>51992888
Fuck, you beat me to it.
>>
>>51992893
Or The Iron Horse, Wagon Train, and Kung-Fu.
>>
>>51992969
Alias Smith & Jones.
>>
File: 82c.jpg (88KB, 677x995px) Image search: [Google]
82c.jpg
88KB, 677x995px
>>51992888
>forgetting Israel
Three times.
>>
File: 1487434459306s.jpg (2KB, 101x125px) Image search: [Google]
1487434459306s.jpg
2KB, 101x125px
>>51992296

> Never eaten backstrap, catfish, and hushpuppies after a long saturday of skeet shooting with his uncle, cousins, and visiting city-slicker relatives

I pity you anon, I really do.
>>
>>51992800
They pretend Prussia wasn't an entirely different country which's corpse they walked into.
>>
>>51993438
Rednecks do seem to live where the best seafood is.
>>
>>51993541
is it really seafood if it comes from creeks and rivers?
>>
>>51992877
Th-they travelled there voluntarily to escape EUROPEAN OPPRESSION! Also opportunities to get land or rich.
>>
>>51993658
Those are small inland seas.
>>
>>51993658
waterfood is a retarded name.
>>
>>51987241
>What are some elements of the culture of the Americas that might be interesting or unique in a fantasy setting?
guns, guns, gun, GUNS, GUNS, GUNS, GUUUUUUNS! UNLIMITED MACHINEGUN WORKS!
>>
>>51993438
>never had cheesegrits
>never had shecrab soup
>never had actual barbecue
some people never really live.
>>
>>51987241
Cowboys
>>
>>51987241
If by America you mean USA then none, 'cause you don't know what culture is.
>>
File: Cap punches Hitler color.jpg (620KB, 1000x767px) Image search: [Google]
Cap punches Hitler color.jpg
620KB, 1000x767px
>>51993438
Back to /pol/, inbreed.
>>
Think about this quote: "An Englishman thinks a hundred miles is a long way while an American thinks a hundred years is a long time."
Europes history is fucking ancient, but Europeans cannot really comprehend the vast distances in America. Between two hamlets it can be 4 day ride without any authority in sight. It leads to seclusion, a lot of cults, or misinterpreted religions, inbreeding. It is a land of outlaws, because there is noone who can enforce any law in every little corner of a territory big as a state, with a few thousand people scattered around wherever. Houses and towns in illogical places, where is no water or food nearby.
>>
>>51987241
You ever read the Alloy of Law and it'seems sequals. Got some real good American themes and motifs in a fantasy setting.
>>
>>51995214
See >>51992800

Somehow the Italians get away with it too despite being again only about half as old? Surely that falls under your arbitrary age limit for having 'culture' and 'history.'

And what about the vast changes all over Europe? None of you can call yourselves the same people who lived there before WWI, so I guess NOBODY has a history or culture, huh?
>>
>>51991960
Hell, the Appalachians are like a Fantasy World of their own, with how isolated the culture is compared to the rest of the US.
>>
>>51997477
Honestly ever since the mass leftist takeover of education, no European has a a sense of history. Schoolchildren in the 1950s were given very comprehensive education's on the history of your nation and people's. Now it's more likely you'll study the American Civil rights movement than anything about your own country. Meanwhile America is the last nationalist nation in the West and clearly sets out the key moments in its curriculums.
>>
A lot of American history and culture comes from being forged in the crucible of war and struggle. The Revolutionary War, the Civil War, the Wild West, and so on were all moments of strife where the true character of a man is revealed. That's not to say that fantasy-America should be at war all the time, but being a survivor of some sort of trouble is never unheard of, and a lot of story is about keeping the peace or getting ready for a battle of some sort.

Also, as a couple other anon have suggested, you cannot explore American culture without the gun. Europe and the rest of the world had legendary weapons and armor and other armaments, but in the Americas, the gun made all men equal, so the emphasis was placed not on the tool (which was romanticized itself at times) but on the person wielding it. It should not be "that is a legendary gun," but rather "that is a legendary man."

As an aside: I love the motif in this game.
>>
Would you rather play an east coast, midwest, or west coast themed area?
>>
File: battle.jpg (11KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
battle.jpg
11KB, 300x168px
>>51999453
because european countries haven't been busy fucking each other up since several millenaries
also why there is a tau gundrone on this picture
>>
>>51999856
Wild Guns is gallery shooter action game in the style of a sci-fi-as-fuck frontier western setting. One of the playable characters in the reboot you seen in that picture is Bullet, the dachsund with his own defense drone.
>>
>>51999856
>>51999920
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qjn5wriT7I
>>
>>51997521

Go away, Jee/pol/s! This is a happy place!
>>
>>51999453
Would it be cool to introduce Psionics, especially those sword-wielding types? The mettle of the sword is only as strong as the person that creates and wields it, that sort of thing?
>>
File: 1363468013779.jpg (192KB, 635x1256px) Image search: [Google]
1363468013779.jpg
192KB, 635x1256px
>>52000490
She's called a Soulknife.
>>
>>51999453
Dog is best character!
>>
>>51992296
>the insert group doesn't have a culture meme

You dumb uneducated faggot.
>>
>>51991169
>Canada may be the least proud nation on the new world
If only the stereotypes were true. They tend to have to be smugly full of themselves and can't shut up about how they're not American, as if it would be insulting to degrade yourself to that level. If that's not pride, it's at the very least unjustified condescension.
>>
>>52000954
Or Quebequois.
>>
File: 1401583559445.png (124KB, 760x508px) Image search: [Google]
1401583559445.png
124KB, 760x508px
>>52000977
Even internally its identity can only be established as being part of one of two groups that hates the other half of the country. Not exactly what you'd call excessively nice.

Hell, you should've seen the comment section in that one Huffington Post where the author showed everyone how many medals Quebec would have if it were a separate country. Or just mention the very existence of Quebec on a website with a large Anglo-Canadian community.

It also gives me a giggle when monolingual Anglo-Canadians go on about Canada's diversity. That just reveals the country operates on five different levels of Newspeak.
>>
>>51999453
A note to remember, most of those moments of history in America are usually seen through the eyes of an underdog who thinks they're gonna die, or an unstoppable force of death. You're a pioneer, off to go settle the deadly wildlands that lie west or die trying, or you're God's burning hand of manifest destiny, backed by a shit ton of firepower, a bible, and a very angry mob of people. Or you're just a single lawman in the middle of a town that's gone to hell. Maybe you're the outlaw that nobody wants to duel, because nobody else wins.

In any case, you're gonna try hard as fuck, and you're the one that matters. You aren't a warrior for your nation, you aren't even really working to help your family half the time-- you're the one that people will know. The Americas, by and large, are lands of individualism in which everyone can kill anyone, and thus can become legends through personal strength more than "I got this magic sword from the gods yo." Nobody cares about your stupid-ass glowing sword if you're shot in the head.
>>
>>51991960
>>51997516
I would fucking kill for Appalachian inspired fantasy that doesn't portray us all as inbred hicks. https://youtu.be/FX1EkdBkjms
>>
>>51992296
As a Britbong,The comparative lack of History is what makes the US an interesting setting for me. We can see a new culture develop and rise from renegade colony exploring uncharted lands to world power. Perfect story material.
>>
>>51992800
>>51993531
>>51997477
>hurrdurr countries and people are only as old as their current iteration of government

You're just as fucking retarded as the dumb faggot saying you have no culture.
>>
>>51992802
I had Coyote as the 'man behind the curtain' manipulating events in a Scion campaign I GM'd.

It turned out OK and I really liked using him to manipulate the players, but I'd like to try it again with a new group to as I fell into the trap of over explaining things as I was relatively new to GMing,
>>
Actually, if you want a theme that could neatly sum up ALL of the Americas in their entirety; Freedom.
Seriously, so much of the ideological conflicts and issues that have afflicted the Americas have to some degree been based on the idea of Freedom in different ways for different reasons, and many both amazing and horrific things were done for the sake of said freedom.
In South America much of it was held control of by the Spanish Empire, and even if they were noblemen in Brazil who owned half the country and wealthier then the ones back home they were "lesser" nobles the ones in Spain. And eventually these various Latin countries fought for their Freedom, but often in many ways gave it up or installed an equal unfair system in it's place.
Simon Bolivar, "El Libertador", was a famous revolutionary who threw off many of the rules of the old Spanish empire, but when it came to the aftermath he made HIMSELF into an absolute dictator for example, which caused many people who hailed him as a great liberator to struggle for Freedom yet again.

The 13 Colonies strongly felt their independence against the British crown when they were suddenly taxed to pay for a war that many saw as not even being their business (seeing as it was largely based off of a European dynastic dispute), but internally many of the people who created the United States struggled with the hypocrisy that they claimed Freedom for all and yet kept slaves, and thus made the choice to not address this so their fragile alliance would stay together.
Frontiersmen went farther and farther west to escape a civilization that in many ways they didn't want to have anything to do with (seeking their own personal Freedom) an interacted with the Natives, sometimes amicably even, but in successfully settling to the west they drew the attention of the civilization they fled from and thus impacted the Freedom of the Native peoples who ALSO fled father West to escape what they saw as something taking away their Freedom.
>>
>>52001266
>Simon Bolivar
Sad story. He actually ended up going to exile in Spain of all countries (think about it: he could've gone to England or France but he opted for Spain), and became incredibly bitter about the future of South America, stating that it would never amount to anything. Worst thing: he may actually be right.
>>
>>52001266
So that's basically the phrase that could sum up much of drive to settle the New World and it's internal struggles; Freedom, and it's consequences.
It's also why pretty much every politician in all of these countries invokes the word when they want to stir up random emotions to push forward whatever agenda they have on the table I think.
>>
>>52001297
He was one of those all-too-common types of mighty conquerer who had the weakness of being absolutely shit at delegating his responsibilities properly and in fact probably had no business being a ruler.
>>
>>52000954
Canucks are disgustingly smug and proud of their lack of pride, developing a superiority complex from their lack of superiority complex, same way Scots can flip their shit at you out of fucking nowhere and berate you for a percieved lack of respect, and yell and scream at you about how people are respectful in scotland and how we could learn something, while he himself is acting like a massive cunt in a foreign country.
>>
>>52001297
"Amounting" to something isn't important or relevant except in the shortest possible timespan; the only universal consistent in regards to culture is that change takes things away from you, period. There were several other Latin empires in the Americas that lasted longer or were more successful, but ultimately they completely fell apart too given enough time.

Life isn't about "amounting" to something, because we all "amount" up to the exact same thing in the end.
The trick instead is finding ways to live with yourself and live your life in a way that you personally find fulfilling.
Bolivar in this respect did indeed fail; he banked all of his hopes and dreams on a unified South American super-country (no idea where he got that idea from considering all the differences between the Spanish colonies) but either wasn't willing or wasn't capable of doing the hard work of actually stabilizing the seeds of his new country, causing it to fall apart, which kind of left him more and more ruined emotionally over time.
>>
>>52001396
That's rather bleak, isn't it?
>>
>>52001107
It does suck that they get us mixed up with the low-land hicks down in them hills.
>>
>>52001451
Only if you don't know history.
Making the mistake of thinking that once you've accomplished your goals that the game "ends" and you "win" and live happily ever after is a recurring mistake so many people make and then fuck things up for themselves afterwords once they discover that life is not a novel or story that stops once they get to an appropriate climax or ending, and that they aren't the main characters of a tale and neither is anyone else in the world.
There's lots of guys who struggle with something and accomplish something in their country only to discover that once they reach their goal there is STILL more work to do and they collapse into depression or other issues because they struggled through their lives trying to get to that imagined "happy ending".

There IS no happy ending because nothing really "ends"; stuff keeps going regardless of weather or not you deem your respective story has come to an appropriate climax, so you better be good damn sure that the things you do you find personally fulfilling and not just steps you take towards an imaginary fairy tale ending you won't get.
>>
>>52001107
Is this Appalachia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gnDyhN5ilM&
>>
>>52001297
Veering off topic a bit, but Spain is very interesting in regards to Freedom.

>Finally get rid of monarchy in the 20th Century
>Not even a decade before a brutal civil war leads to a Dictator
>He then proceeds to get away with concentration camps and systematic oppression of his enemies in a post Nazi-world.
>When he dies Spain just agrees to not mention the war and move on, finally making the transition to a functioning democracy in the very late 70's.

Went to Madrid last month, and its vey interesting to see how its still subtly divided. Bookshops selling Marxist and Anarchist Literature operates just down the street from one with a Facist propaganda poster on the door, Stalls flying the Republic flag are 2 minutes away from portraits of Franco hung outside, etc.
>>
>>52001954
I legitimately knew none of the part past the greentext until right now.
>>
>>52001960
Couple it with seeing a Civil War Era trench that was now just an unbookmarked dip in a park, you got the feeling because they never did a South Africa style atonement and confession deal they haven't been able to fully get over the war.

I never saw any while I was there, but there are also frequent openly Francoist rallies at various monuments and buildings built by the regime. As so many of them are religious ones (i.e. Churches, Giant crosses) they cant be knocked down without pissing off Catholics. I did pass by rally in the Plaza de Espana in support of Ukraine were one of the speakers had an Anarchist flag though.
>>
File: 1488579692830.jpg (63KB, 480x630px) Image search: [Google]
1488579692830.jpg
63KB, 480x630px
>>
>>51991749
<Wand of magic missile manufacturer> made man equal.
>>
>>51987241
The frontier marksman is an amusing bit of American history, so maybe have a society of people who resist invasion just because everyone is armed? Then again, the Finns pulled that kind of shit in the Winter War.

WAIT.

PEOPLE CRAZY ABOUT GUNS LIKE AMERICANS.

AND SHOOT LIKE SIMO HAYHA.

LET THERE BE LEAD.
>>
Talented isolationist marksmen who arm the general populace and primarily live in untamed wilderness who are known for being prideful in a fantasy setting should about sum up a lot of ideas in this thread right?

Americans are elves
>>
>>52002456
They havent been around for long enough to hit the common elf tropes.

Though you could make an argument for the natives being similar.
>>
>>52000886
It only works with Americans. since they are the only ones getting triggered by it.
Every damn time.
Because it's true
>>
>>51992483
You can't push something you lack.
But you can spitefully try to destroy culture of others by constant assault of your corporate-generated garbage
>>
>>52002456
No, no.

>ruled by capitalism
>enjoy weapons and explosions
>much of what we do backfires on us, but nobody can seem to get rid of us for good
>used to be a lot more inventive than we are now, but still pretty good at coming up with devices
>others want us as far away from them as possible except when something needs to die, then they want us there yesterday

We're Warcraft Goblins.
>>
>>52002584
>nobody takes you seriously until you've bombed them to kingdom come
>when you're the monster they created in the first place

You'd be triggered too, after more than 200 years of this. I am your sins made flesh.
>>
>>51987241
Rapid social mobility or social mobility at all, manifest destiny, the self made man, the rugged lone survivor, EVERYONE has weapons
>>
File: Party Time.jpg (236KB, 500x448px) Image search: [Google]
Party Time.jpg
236KB, 500x448px
>>52002584
>>52002601
Our culture is the destruction and degradation of other cultures, and I for one love it that way.

>>52002605
Also, yeah, basically.
>>
>>51995415
Underrated post
>>
>>52001037
Quebec, you are Canada's Texas, and while that means you are a large and successful state it also means you need to shut the fuck up. You aren't going to cede. Ever.
>>
>>52002605
That depends on the timeperiod - Americans were never always one thing, especially all for their history.

America's economy was strongly tied to trade for a lot of its history, but most people were still farmers and hunters and living out in the wild parts of the country outside of the developed northeast. And even as things started changing, it's only by about the Civil War that you really see industry and inventing really booming in the US.

It's really only closer to modern day that you really get something more goblin-esque like what you describe.
>>
>>52002704
>and I for one love it that way
Never seen anyone say that. Odd, really.

>>52002809
Technically I have to accept that.
>>
>>52002605
Maybe you coastal fellows are ruled by capitalism, but up here in the mountains we know family is most important of all. Even that one cousin who you hate
>>
>>51991721

>christian enlightenment
>witch hunts
>new world discovery
>colony/mother country rebellion
>north/south division over economic issues
>slaves & emancipation and civil rights impact
>cajuns
>vaudeville
>red scare & anti-commie rhetoric
>space race
>manifest destiny/god-given right to imperialism
>native genocides
>idea of a "melting pot" society
>concept of independently governed states/provinces
>high social mobility

there's plenty of culture. it's not all necessarily "good" culture, and not every one of these is unique to the US, but there's plenty to draw from.
>>
>>52002947
I mean, we also got jazz and blues. Those are American inventions.
>>
>>52002947

shit, i forgot to list the most batshit insane, hilariously interesting, and most uniquely American culture of all.

Mormons
>>
>>52002972
Rock 'n' Roll's from Cleveland, Ohio, dude. Don't forget it, the Hall of Fame's there for a reason.
>>
>>52002972
and we collapsed the soviet union with the power of blue jeans
>>
>>52003040
Wait a damn minute, I know we did a lot of crazy shit during the Cold War, but I can't believe the death of the USSR was blue jeans without elaboration and citation.
>>
>>52003040
What the fuck is it about blue jeans that makes them so endemic of American culture?
>>
>>52003068
its mostly a joke but blue jeans were a big deal in the soviet union http://rbth.com/arts/2014/09/16/worth_going_to_prison_for_getting_hold_of_jeans_in_the_ussr_39833.html
>>
>>52002947
>Americans think this is what culture is
Reminds me that thread few months aback, where burgers were absolutely incapable of grasping what folk hero is, since they lack culture and especially the folk one.

You've mostly listed historical events, you stupid cunt.
>>
>>52003160
>culture and mythology have no basis in history or policy

Suuure.
>>
>>52003160
John Henry is a folk hero.

wow that was real hard.
>>
>>52002584
I don't think you know the definition of culture.
>>
>>52002947
Also, don't forgot the number of crops that came from the Americas.

>Tomato
>Corn
>Potato
>Bell pepper
>Cocoa
>Pineapple
>Peanuts
>Sunflower
>Squash
>Vanilla
>Avacado
>Pumpkin
>Agave
>Tobacco

Finding America made European cooking great again.
>>
>>52003160

historical events are born out of cultural conflicts and ideologies, you stupid cunt
>>
>>52003233
we got baited son
>>
File: SAM-ELLIOTT--2-.jpg (30KB, 280x254px) Image search: [Google]
SAM-ELLIOTT--2-.jpg
30KB, 280x254px
>>52003160
Folk hero? Is that like a VACK-EER-O? Vaquero? Like Pecos Bill?
>>
>>52003160
>America doesn't have folk heroes.

>Paul Revere
>Betsy Ross
>Johnny Appleseed
>Davy Crockett
>John Henry
>All the various Cowboys and Gunfighters

And that isnt even all of them.America definitely is not lacking Folk Heroes by any stretch of the imagination.In fact I would ssy they likley have the most of any country.

To get back to /tg/, a folk hero is effectively a PC.
>>
>>52003269
So is Paul Bunyan a druid+barbarian multiclass?
>>
>>52003285
don't forget he took Giant as a race
>>
>>52003206
>I'm American and I don't know what folk hero is

>>52003244
>Being this dense
Never dump religious minorities into a country twice

>>52003269
>He actually put John Henry into that basked
You were literally THIS close of pulling this shit right.
No, really, you would skip that guy and you would have it right.
>>
>>52003342
Why doesn't he count anon?

He'a a hero the folk tell tales about.
>>
>>51995453
Amazing, heartbreaking books. Red country is basically a western though.
>>
>>52003342
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folk_hero
>A folk hero or national hero is a type of hero–real, fictional or mythological–with the sole salient characteristic being the imprinting of his or her name, personality and deeds in the popular consciousness of a people.
>Although some folk heroes are historical public figures, many are not. The lives of folk heroes are generally fictional, their characteristics and deeds often exaggerated to mythic proportions.
>>
>>52001188
Fuck off Britbong.
>>
>>51991739
Leaf here.

Culturally: We're just "Americans without the insanity and with better manners".

Historically: as a country of immigrants, we have very little shared history to speak of.
>>
>>52001039
Fair point.

Hyper-individualism is the main American cultural trait. Here in Canada, too.
>>
>>51987241
SPEAKING AS A FLORIDIAN. LEMME TELL YOU ABOUT FLORIDA. Our history is just as insane as what everyone thinks we are. We had the fucking Spaniards, Native Americans, Chinese, Japanese, and New Englanders all fighting over land while the railway company kept expanding further and further. We also have freaking swamps everywhere. Eventually, we got a really strong creole culture as well. All that shit combines to be one fucking WEIRD fantasy setting. You can pull from spanish myth, oriental myth, native american myth, english myth, *and* creole myth. And then on top of that you can just throw in "Florida is fucking weird" myth. I love this setting and have yet to use it. Oh, and you have trains and guns due to the most interesting timezone being that time. If you ever get a chance, try to read up on the Morikami Museum of Florida and you'll get some really cool ideas.
>>
>>51992810
Which Lone Ranger? Just the live-action series, or the cattlepunk '66 animated show too?
>>
>>51992810
>forgetting true grit
>>
>>52003679
>inb4 Florida Man memes
>>
>>51999711
Colorado

>>52000954
We do see the idea of being American as insulting.

Too many of you are violent murderous savages, too many of you are frothing at the mouth crazy, fanatical, and anti-logical, and your government would rather invade other countries than provide adequate medical care for your people.

The USA makes good tv, but it's a place many of us wouldn't even consider visiting, let alone moving to.
>>
File: max.jpg (121KB, 964x643px) Image search: [Google]
max.jpg
121KB, 964x643px
>>52003679
I found some of my old notes on Roll20. Here they are.

---

Game: Microlite20

Set when Florida was still becoming part of America, colonized even. The native Floridians there for generations stand where they are. Dark unknown creatures tread the marshes that seem to flow everywhere. The Spanish conquistadors have gone, save for the few who have made their home here. Farmers from the east find their new farms. And the colonists are making their way.

Trains and the unknown are what connect all these people and places together. And magic flows through the air.

*Note*: This game will most likely be psuedo-historical. By which I mean, I'll use a base reading of wikipedia, and see where it goes from there.

You can use any class from Microlite20 Purest Essence+Race Bonus, and reskin the race as you wish.

The base nationalities I am okaying for sure are:

* Native Floridians
* Spanish Expatriates
* Colonial Frontiermen
* Japanese Farmers (probably hired by the Florida East Coast Railway Company).
>>
>>52003342
>posts a literal folk hero
>makes a witty green text about how its not a folk hero
>>
America is massive and has many culturally unique facets.

One of the biggest unexplored one is the fact Mormons exist at all. They are a distinctly american phenomenon.
>>
>>52000954
It's justified condescension. You guys are crazy and violent.

>>52002584
It's true up here in Canada too. Very little shared history. We just don't get butthurt about it.
>>
>>52000954
>>52001361
>>52003719
Oh my god the stereotypes are true.
>>
>>52003837
I've heard much about Mormons and to this day I'm not even sure I know what they /are/.

>>52003719
>savages

You don't have to be rude.
>>
>>52003776
Sure buddy. Go flip someone off and get shot for it, like so many others in the USA. Your country is a third world shithole full of fanatics, with first world tech and small pockets of civilization.
>>
>>52002944
don't you jumble all the coast together now, down in south carolina moneys only good for bullets, beer, and chew. Everything else you stick with your family for.
>>
>>52003890
>intentionally use one of the most insulting forms of body language toward a stranger, while presumably also trespassing on someone's private property

>expect them not to react at all

I get what you're going for, but that's not a very good way to put it.
>>
>>52003889
They're real. Want me to take a photo next time I'm walking around?
>>
>>52003367
He's salty that a black dude is considered a folk hero
>>
>>52003846
Most of us are nicer about it. I'm kindof an asshole. I've been on 4chan for a while now. But yes, you guys are nuts, and are widely regarded to be so. Tons of violent crime in comparison to any other western county. And if you get sick? Well I hope you saved up for it!

>>52003908
Of course you would piss them off doing that. In civilized countries however, merely being rude is not going to get you murdered.

>>52003837
There are Mormons in Canada. They're a lot like Jehovah's witnesses. Religious missionary culture that are like a cult of people who are often backwards but at least try to be good.
>>
>>52003679
I live a short drive away from the Morikami Museum. It's so great.
>>
>>52004049
I have friends who once had a rock fight in the Peace Garden. ....The club president wasn't happy.
>>
>>52003889

Mormons are basically kooky Christians. They have many traditional Christian beliefs but then a lot of tacked-on stuff that is mostly cultural stuff from Joseph Smith's teachings.

The Book of Mormon is essentially part 3 to the Bible in their eyes. They believe in Jesus and all that stuff, but believe that the visions/teachings of Joseph Smith supersedes and expands upon certain teachings from the Bible.

Their cosmology is interesting as hell too. Their afterlife (if they're virtuous enough) consists of getting their own earthlike planet where they have dominion over it to repopulate it. Polygamy in the Mormons' view is a way to facilitate this. A man's wives are "sealed" to him for eternity (this is what marriage does) and upon death they join him on his planet to help him populate it.

They also believe god has both a female and male aspect that fucked to create Jesus. Not even trolling.
>>
>>52003073
They are tough and comfy. Perfect for a day of rugged frontier life.
>>
>>51987241
Brazilian here.

One feature I see in the whole american continent are mounds, specially if one considers that aztec/mayan/incan pyramids are mounds covered in stone. The local ones are made of acumulated garbage, bones, shells, pottery but also human remains, their content didn't mean they were trash heaps. They actually were sanctuaries where one could seek refuge from floods, gather, points of reference on endless plains. An "american" setting should have earthen mounds as the centers of cities and temples.
http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Images/Chicago/chappell118.gif
>An tunnel leads to the Mortal Oath, a chamber surrounded by ancestrals and the remains of centuries past, where pacts are made which if broken disturb the spirits as to make them seek the oath-breaker.

We had the Bandeirantes, thousand-strong companies of mixed folk going into the unknown jungle to find gold and slaves. Sometimes they did, sometimes they returned with half the numbers and rotten clothing. Think half-elf captains leading their like and a majority of wild elf natives inside the untamed monster land. Pictures usually white wash them, they were more like: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:MulatoAE.jpg

We also had gaúchos, who were quite like cowboys but also were marginal nomads inside a settled culture, with bolas, lances and a taste for being hired into wars as cavarly. Those might or might not be half-orc riders conducting herds of megatheriums.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0FoaBy_MWI&list=WL&index=73

Jungle cities, the real life "hidden elf village":
http://www.nature.com/scientificamerican/journal/v301/n4/images/scientificamerican1009-64-I5.jpg
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3077413/#.WLoMN_JUXCQ
https://www.nexojornal.com.br/especial/2015/12/01/Cidades-da-Amaz%C3%B4nia-a-floresta-que-nunca-foi-virgem

Can also help with monsters and folklore: Capelobo, Boitatá, Boto, Iara...
>>
>>52004048
Do you only know about America from what you see in movies and on TV?
>>
>>52003821
>Not understanding what folk hero is
>Still trying

Check this anon >>52003269 Remove Henry from his list and it's all right
>>
>>52003844
That's why it only works on Americans - they are extremely butthurt about it. You know, the biggest, baddest, strongest etc nation forevah, but don't even have history on their own or any form of culture.
Inferiority complex in its finest.
>>
File: serpents mound.jpg (181KB, 1024x512px) Image search: [Google]
serpents mound.jpg
181KB, 1024x512px
>>52004291
Here is serpents mound, in Ohio

Which is supposed to be a serpent eating an egg I think but looks more like a giant sperm
>>
>>52004337
Nah.
>American news
>Crime statistics
>Friends and family who either moved there from here, or moved here from there.
>One time I visited a friend in Delaware for a few weeks.

There are good people in the USA. You just have way more violent crazies, and a government that treats you as extra disposable.

>>52004383
Like, people have culture and history in Canada, but it's not very shared. Most of us have done shared culture, and then a whole bunch of immigrant culture in our families from wherever we came from.
>>
>>52004383
>get treated like trash by anyone you haven't decked in the face yet

This is literally the sort of situation that creates playground bullies. Someone who has to make others fear him to be treated like an actual person.
>>
>>52004422
damn, how did you survive the violent hellhole of Delaware
>>
File: 13985131.jpg (173KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
13985131.jpg
173KB, 1024x682px
>>52004387
Yep, that is a good case. Pic related is a "sambaqui", milennia of molusk and human remains piled together. We're still trying to figure what they meant to the people which created those.

>>52004337
>>52004422
US folks are just as good and as bad as most people. But the whole country from the early 20th century onwards is something to be afraid of. We have plenty of huehuehue violence of our own, it's the worldwide american exports of violence and yes, terror.
>>
>>52004422
We also have a fuckton more people.
Ever consider that's why it seems like we have so many more crazy people?
And if you're not a ghetto hoodlum in a gang in an innercity, then you're probably pretty safe from crime.
Statistics tell you nothing, as they rarely include the cities or the people (or type thereof) involved in the crime.
And provided that you work, you should be able to get a decent insurance plan from your employers, unless it's shitholes like Wal-Mart and such. But frankly, if you fucked up so bad in life so as to have to work there any time between the ages of 18 and 80, you really don't even deserve insurance.
>>
>>52004489
It was more a window to American poverty. Place was a shit hole.

That doesn't change the fact that you have nearly triple the murders per capita, and like 16x the rapes of women.

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Canada/United-States/Crime

>>52004606
Yeah, that too.
>>
>>52004621
>Low income people and disabled people don't deserve to be able to get medical care.
No, anon. Even the hobos deserve healthcare.

I'm not talking about total number of crimes, I'm talking crimes per capita.
>>
>>52004638
Burger here, I'm not sure if I'm desensitized or if you're just easily scared. Considering that a few nights back I heard around seven, maybe nine gunshots in a row nearby my place, and didn't flinch or feel worried, it's the former.
Agree on the healthcare, btw.
>>
File: flyingcanoe1.jpg (56KB, 421x270px) Image search: [Google]
flyingcanoe1.jpg
56KB, 421x270px
>>51987241
French Canadian Culture.

Your cousin Jean-Guy got lost coming back from the depanneur after spending his welfare check on a 24 of Canadians. He wandered somewhere into the woods. Go find him.
>>
>>52004737
I'm currently in one of the most crime riddled cities in the country (moved here for a job, looking to leave in the near future).

7 murders in 2010, in a town of 71000 roughly 1:10000. 486% (nearly 5x) the national average.

That's 1/6th as bad as St. Louis.

If someone hears gunshots, that's news. It makes the paper.
>>
>>52004744
Fuck. I read that whole thing in an awful Quebec accent. Tabernaque!

Top tier. Kek.
>>
>>52004910
well I mean, St. Louis is a shithole and frankly everyone is baffled at how bad the crime is for being in fucking Missouri of all places.
>>
>>52004980
I compared what I found as the most dangerous city in Canada to the most dangerous in the USA.
>>
I've been thinking lately about the same subject too, but was mostly focusing on Mexico and its northern border. Vaqueros and cowboys are a classic, of course, and the only european country with anything remotely similar to them is Spain. Which makes sense, since according to most accounts, Cowboys in America started being a thing in Mexico, specifically because of the strong equine tradition that the spaniards brought from across the sea.

The culture of Death that Mexico has is something that I personally love, too. The idea of mocking death while at the same time acknowledging it as an unstoppable force is just something that I enjoy. Death's avatar acting like a jackass aunt to you is just a bonus.

I guess the god of death on an American setting could look like a mexican calavera. Additional domains could be random chance, equality and mockery. Jesters and gamblers could pray to him/her/whatever.
>>
File: 1451981120608.jpg (1MB, 2500x3333px) Image search: [Google]
1451981120608.jpg
1MB, 2500x3333px
A lot of the discussion so far has been focused on North America. What about South American culture? They had a different relationship with indigenous peoples than the United States, and have a vastly different culture and history.

Alternate history map very loosely related.
>>
Question: Do people from the old world have a strange fascination with Cain and Abel imagery like so far I've seen so many Americans (Canucks and Mexicans included) do?
>>
Ever read American Gods? Let's take the core idea (America as a melting pot for cultures and ideas crossed with the notion that all myth is real) and twist it.

Players are normal people in a world where all cultural mythologies play out in a scale proportional to their belief. There are shadows of old gods walking the land, willing to bargain a little power (magic or otherwise) in exchange for unwavering belief. Dare not think or speak of monsters, because that makes them real.

Alternatively: Players are the Fragments of old gods in the new world, coalesced from the cultural identity of the immigrants that colonized it. Fragments have some divinity, but are nothing compared to their complete selves from long ago. Fragments remember the whole and yearn to be complete.

Fragments gain power through belief and gain belief through doing great feats and convincing humans that they are worthy of fear/worship. Doing quests and such can help you gain new followers.
>>
>>52007148
That last part sounds great-- potentially, this means that the folk heroes of America, mythological and real alike-- could be such fragments, or even new beliefs.
>>
>>52007379
I know, right? Best thing is that it works with any time period or setting. Old West gives you Pecos Bill and John Henry, Old Hollywood gives you Marilyn Monroe and James Dean, 90's gives you anthropomorphic personifications of rock bands or emergent genres of music.
>>
>>52004048
White Americans have murder rates and test scores on par with western Europe. You can thank the 1965 Immigration Act's browning of the country for changes in those regards.

>>52005337
Any fantasy version of the Americas is incomplete without references to the prehistoric wildlife. In South America that means terror birds. IIRC the original Lost World novel was about a remnant ecosystem on one of those enormous isolated plateaus in South America, so you could even roll dinosaurs believably.
>>
>>51999972
The fatty is so fucking annoying.
>>
>>51991960
Thanks for introducing me to American Murder Story, anon
>>
>>52004422
>Like, people have culture and history in Canada, but it's not very shared
What about Quebec? And I'm not asking about memes, but the real deal
>>
>>52005337
I don't understand this map. UCA doesn't exists, but somehow is conquered by Mexico. Weird. Bolivia in original shape somehow survives... but without half of Columbia
And then there is the part where Argentina and Chile are together..

On the plus side, I like how someone remembered Uruguay ended up within Brazilian borders for 20-odd years as Cisplatina province
>>
>>51991721
Came here to check exactly this post. I can leave now.
>>
>>51987241
Reimu?
>>
>>52002947
>christian enlightenment
>witch hunts
Ever heard of the Inquisition? Europe, 12th century.

>new world discovery
Christopher Columbus, an italian, did that, not you.

>colony/mother country rebellion
William Wallace.

>north/south division over economic issues
Literally the entire planet is divided in the rich north and the poor south.

>slaves & emancipation and civil rights impact
France abolished slavery in 1315.

>cajuns
French people on a trip.

>vaudeville
French theatre on a trip.

>red scare & anti-commie rhetoric
Hitler and the jews, 1933.

>space race
Won by Yuri Gagarin, soviet russia.

>manifest destiny/god-given right to imperialism
Rome.

>native genocides
Spanish conquerors.

>idea of a "melting pot" society
You fucking serious? So what is the wall for?

>concept of independently governed states/provinces
>independently

>high social mobility
The hell does this even mean.

Try not stoling from europe next time champ.
>>
>>52009375
Geography itself prevents south america from becoming some "united states" territory. That' shit's easy when it's a buch of plains and desert linking coasts, not with crazy as fuck jungle and lolrandom mountain ranges everywhere.
>>
>>52010062
Well, UCA collapsed precisely because of that. All the countries making continental Central America are divided by pretty harsh mountains AND back in the day - fuckload of jungle. With almost no infrastructure it was bound to fall apart, since all provinces making it had separate interests.
A bit of shame if you ask me, since it was one of the nicer parts of Latin America when it was still a federation and not bunch of tiny nations.
>>
>>52004291
I would love to hear about Brasilian monsters, and to see if it has iberian or native roots.
>>
>>52004737
Mate I live in Spain and I only heard gunshots when I go hunting. The fuck of hell hole do you live were you don't react to gunshots? Fucking chicago has nearly three times the murder rate of my entire country.
>>
>>52004737
Nope mate, you are desanitized to the point of insanity. The only time I've heard gunshot in my entire life was obligatory course on shooting range in high school. And we were shooting .22 training rifles.

And as a dick measure with the Spanish dude - the entire murder rate of my country in 2013 was below 280. Even if I would extrapolate it to match burger population, that would be around 2200 cases.
Meanwhile, you had 12253 homicides, just in a single year. I'm not sure there have been enough cases since fucking WW2 to match that number, since it only started increasing in mid 90s.
Like someone in this thread noted - your country is like a third-world shithole with first world tech and few civilised spots. And there is nothing to brag about when you are desanitised enough to ignore completely gunshots.
>>
>>52005034
>and the only european country with anything remotely similar to them is Spain.
Nah, Cosssacs, Hungarians,Comarga cow herder, North Italians cow herders etc have them. But the spirit of the American Vaquero/cowboy is very Iberian,every Iberian excolony has it's own off-shot of , be it called gaucho, Charro, Llanero, Huaso, vaquero...
>>
File: 1275389857.gif (2MB, 350x233px) Image search: [Google]
1275389857.gif
2MB, 350x233px
>>52010613
>Cossacks
>Cowboys
You can't be serious.
>>
>>52010726
In that they are thematically similar? Nomad or semi-nomad horse riders than roam the vast plains raiding and herding, with a freedom boner. They are very different, but very close in a way.
>>
>>52010797
>Cossacks
>Herding
Let me guess, you are American and know jack-shit about Cossacks?
Want to compare them with anything? They are land-based pirates, you stupid idiot. But not cowboys and not herders.
>>
File: oacak7JoNf1qdk2qn540.png (301KB, 540x374px) Image search: [Google]
oacak7JoNf1qdk2qn540.png
301KB, 540x374px
>>51987241
>What are some elements of the culture of the Americas that might be interesting or unique in a fantasy setting?

The pioneering, of bringing civilization to the remote, unhabitated and unexplored wildernesses of the frontier.

The colonization, of interaction, intermingling, conflict and subjugation of natives by a technologically more advanced people.

The guns, the great equalizers that gave any the power to deal instant death but also made them equally susceptable to that same power from their fellow man.

The horse or alternatively the automobile; it's virtually impossible to imagine the american culture without either of them, since the former is synonymous with Wild West and the latter with the cultural landscape of modern america.

Then there are of course the mythologies, customs and beliefs of the native, indigenuous cultures that are a cornucopia of freaky ideas for any fantasy setting.
>>
File: color thing.jpg (149KB, 960x642px) Image search: [Google]
color thing.jpg
149KB, 960x642px
>>52005337
>>52008058
I put something here >>52004291

>>52010613
The jinete light cavarly may be the ancestral.

>>52010496
Some have both. Any thematic preference?

Little-Black-Hand ("Mãozinha-Preta"): pretty much Thing T. Thing from the Addams Family. An obedient domestic spirit that can be ordered even to punch wrongdoers. Surprisingly strong and fast, also flies.

Mapinguari (meaning "that which has twisted feet") : a huge, hairy and/or scaly humanoid man-eater with jaguar-like claws, represents the worst of the jungle Its mouth is vertical, going from its nose all the way down to the stomach. Lips always drip blood. Some say it eats the person whole, others that it rips off the head in one bite and chews for a while. Acts in the daylight. Its invulnerable except if shot in the navel. There's an account that a native shaman might avoid death by turning into the mapinguari, but it pays for that being a monster. Cryptozoologists believe it might be a giant sloth from ancestral folklore or even surviving to the present day, and its "scaly" and "invulnerable" features might be because of the sloth's osteoderms just like a crocodile's.
>>
>>52010910
>The pioneering, of bringing civilization to the remote, unhabitated and unexplored wildernesses of the frontier.
Any given Rus-themed setting, also much easier to use for fantasy and freaky stuff, because you REALLY are in wilderness that will fucking chew you in case of minor fuck-up. Plus, it would be also more interesting aesthetically
>The colonization, of interaction, intermingling, conflict and subjugation of natives by a technologically more advanced people.
Not unique in any way

Rest is passable.
>>
>>52011031
>Any thematic preference?
Fey, the one in the Americas tend to be more rapey than the simply lewd in Iberia. <but any monster would do, ghost and the like don't interest me that much.
The Maozinha-Prieta is the mano negra of the castillian/Galician myths too, but instead of a boogey-man as a familiar.
The mapinguri shares some traits with monsters of all over spain but as a whole seems totally Amazonian.
>>
>>51987241
D&D is "inspired" by "european" culture but it's inherently american.
>>
>>51989856
Literally every country ever did and does that.
>>
>>51992696
Your super advanced aztecs also failed to invent the fucking wheel.
>>
>>52011665
Development doesn't work like a damn Civilization game, there aren't pre-requisite steps to other technologies and some cultures can advance perfectly fine without what others would consider essential.
>>
>>52001297
>he could've gone to England or France but he opted for Spain

Well he was literally a Spaniard in all but name. That was the point for his caste to join (and mostly start) the rebellion. They were not treated as Spaniards despite being like them only for being born in the colonies.
>>
>>52001954
That wasn't even the first time Spain got rid of monarchy.
>>
>>52011152
>because you REALLY are in wilderness that will fucking chew you in case of minor fuck-up
>REALLY

?
>>
>>52011709
Having a reason for not being advanced doesn't make you advanced. If it was only one thing, that would be okay. But in this case it's the examples of "advancement" that are cherrypicked, specially when talking about the Aztecs who started being a thing in the 13th century and would've benefited greatly from the wheel.

If you want an example of advancement talk about Incas or Mayas, not about the "Tenochtitlan was so big" meme.
>>
>>52011709
This guys is right, the Nahua had some very fucked up stuff going, specially they religion, but they did Amazing things with they tech, the guy than designed Tenochtitlan was one of the genius of his age.
Also the Conquest of Mexico and then Peru must be two of the mostincredible feats of conquest ever, so many things could have ended it.
>>
>>51987241

The successful genocide and the use of nuclear arms in anger? They're pretty much the only ones who pulled both off.
>>
>>52011828
I think he's implying a more 'realistic' game as opposed to one with magic and 'oh hey there JUST SO HAPPENS to be a village nearby' kind of thing?
>>
>>51992296
There are a couple of nations that treat their history like the Americans do - China, North Korea, Saudi Arabia... none of them are white.

Makes you think, doesn't it?
>>
File: 8e95027491298.png (336KB, 490x339px) Image search: [Google]
8e95027491298.png
336KB, 490x339px
>>52009763
>Inquisition
You hated jews a lot, we know this, but the witch hunts in America were after the magical and devil infused, and was put on by the public, not the church itself.
>Chris Columbus
You dumbass, all he found was a bunch of idiots on islands and the coast. He didn't discover 99% of the new world.
>William Wallace
Died like a bitch
>North/South + Slaves & Emancipation
Okay, but the U.S.A. is the latest and the Civil War was the bloodiest fought on U.S. soil.
>Cajuns
Americans, they're Americans. I bet you think the Quebecois should secede.
>Vaudeville
Again, American, and guess what, this also gave rise to nickelodeons and film. Hollywood? American.
>Red Scare + Anti-Commie
Hitler blamed the Jews for their problems, America viewed Russians as a hostile army with spies and the ability to initiate a world-ending war-- which they were incredibly lax about at the time.
>Space Race
US put a man on the moon, which while not exactly the most advanced thing, mattered more to people.
>Manifest Destiny
Rome never saw a "New World" like the settlers did. Plus, what Rome conquered it conquered as a military. It was almost entirely the people/citizens who went full manifest destiny.
>Spanish Conquerors
>Native Genocide
Weird, your example happens in the americas
>Melting Pot Society + The Wall
You see, the Melting Pot takes everything, good and bad. Some of the bits are afraid of other bits, and don't want them there, even though by and large the bits are the ones doing jobs they don't feel like doing and won't do unless they need a midsummer highschool job.
>Independently governed states/provinces
Literally something can be illegal on the federal level, but not on a state level, so if a federal official catches you you're in the shit, but if someone state-level or even local level finds you, you're fine.
>High Social Mobility
The fact you don't have a concept of this already shows your eurocentricism. Moving from poor to well off, fast, or the other way around
>>
File: 902370925389.jpg (53KB, 414x510px) Image search: [Google]
902370925389.jpg
53KB, 414x510px
>>52009206
No problem, anon
>>
>>52012838
>William Wallace

As a Scot, Wallace barely achieved anything and it was Robert The Bruce who lead the actual successful war for Independance.

And Scotland was annexed, unlike the US it started off separate.
>>
>>51992810
>forgetting High Chaparral
>>
File: 8IVk11p.jpg (95KB, 500x669px) Image search: [Google]
8IVk11p.jpg
95KB, 500x669px
>>51995237
What the fuck? Being a apollonian means /pol/ now?
>>
You can't have even a single thread about the Americas without some retards getting immediately triggered.
>>
>>52013687
Nowadays you cant have a thread about any Culture without somebody shittinb up the thread.
>>
>>52009763
I seriously think you don't understand what culture or history is. The education system in your country must be abysmal.
>>
>>52013726
Noawadays you can't have a thread without somebody shitting up the thread.
>>
>>52001954
You forgot to mention that the return to democracy was due to the return of the king. The takeaway is that monarchy is great and God put royals in charge for a reason.
>>
>>52001544
Dr Manhattan, what are you doing on 4chan? You're supposed to be in space.
>>
>>52014196
>Implying entire South is not like this, regardless of race
>Impling big cities aren't like this, regardless of race
>HUUURRR FUCKING COLORS DURRRRR
Keep dreaming about being like Switzerland
>>
>>52011900
>Being this dense
>>
>>52012838
>Being even denser
>>
File: 1484939849599.png (207KB, 600x635px) Image search: [Google]
1484939849599.png
207KB, 600x635px
>>52017737
>>52017723
>>
File: 1398885789320.jpg (72KB, 803x598px) Image search: [Google]
1398885789320.jpg
72KB, 803x598px
>>52005337
>tfw the incans died too soon
>>
File: 1412104941260-0.jpg (494KB, 1943x2500px) Image search: [Google]
1412104941260-0.jpg
494KB, 1943x2500px
America, even just limiting ourselves to the United States, has an incredible amount of ideals and inspirations for stories.

You could go back to the roots, and create a setting where you have an entirely new civilization being created by dissenters of whichever old civilization continues to exist. The sheer pressure that falls on a group of people when the eyes of the Old World fall on them, being seen as either a new Promised Land, or the scourge of the Tried and True.

Or you could go further in time, to the days of expansion. Living on the borders of an unknown world, just waiting to be tamed. Knowing that you have the option of just living inland, back where the wealth of the nation is centered, but also knowing that great riches and opportunities lie undiscovered, ready to be tapped.

Or the stories of 1916 America, when your country was seen as one of the last places on the planet to escape from the horrors of the Great War. Imagine running a setting where your adventuring party has to deal with the mounting tensions of a country made up of people from both sides of the war, where choosing one side or the other will end the war, but also carry the risk of rebellion from the other side.

That's just the three I can think of off the top of my head. There's so much more. There are so many other options. The Jingoistic Era, living as a Loyalist during the Revolution, and the creation of Canada as a result of the Loyalist Migration, or the Roaring 20s, or the Mexican Revolutions, or the Age of American Legends, or the Mountain Settlers, or the Industrial Revolution, or the idea of the proverbial child nation overtaking it's parent states, or even the implications of a union of states overseen by a larger entity. There's so much untapped potential for stories.
>>
File: 517.jpg (9KB, 248x233px) Image search: [Google]
517.jpg
9KB, 248x233px
>>52017900
>Anyone who points how stupid Americans are is baiting
>>
File: 1486340882077.jpg (47KB, 371x598px) Image search: [Google]
1486340882077.jpg
47KB, 371x598px
>>52018077
>points how
>worst girl pic
>calling someone else stupid
>>
>>52009763
>>native genocides
>Spanish conquerors.

Maybe in South America.
>>
>>51987241
Mountain men.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_man
>>
>>52018651
>Generic hunter/prospector dude
Yeah, sooooo unique
>>
File: smug as fuck(1).webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
smug as fuck(1).webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>52017951
U mad, Stan?

>>52018099
>Smug anime face
>He thinks it's based on anything else than smugness
Unfortunatelly, I can't post the version with sound. I even had to split it into two just to get it posted. Shame, because the music makes it twice as smug.

But be my guest, stay stupid, American, and keep using cape shit as reaction image and as a way to compensate lack of culture and history.
>>
File: smug as fuck(2).webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
smug as fuck(2).webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>52018099
Here, grab the rest of the smug
>>
File: 1486993303484.jpg (214KB, 1280x956px) Image search: [Google]
1486993303484.jpg
214KB, 1280x956px
>>52018861
>>52018881
Got anymore bait?
'Cause what you've got right now isn't doing much more than making sure this thread gets seen.
>>
>>52018758
Explain where else you've seen them, then.
>>
>>52018758
If you're saying the prospector archetype isn't unique, explain what other country's culture has them or originated them.
>>
>>52018758
Precisely; nothing else comes to mind but a scruffy man wearing a coonskin hat and and a buckskin jacket. They are the definitive frontiersmen and singularly American. Besides them, there's always cowboys, pilgrims, oil barons, prospectors, Indians, hillbillies/rednecks, greasers, mormons, and plenty more.
>>
>>52018989
>>52019018
Just about ANY country with frontier had AT LEAST one version of such guys. Just look up north. Coureur des bous? Bois? That's literally the same shit, different name.
Russian with their trappers, but also cossack "expeditions" (read - you sign a letter and gain a blessing to do whatever it takes to explore and go back with news and preferably information about resources to be exploited) organised by different tsars into Siberia.
The Australian-style prospectors, going back and forth through Australian Alps
Boer prospekteerders, which were, you've guessed, prospectors

And the list can go on and on and on. In Latin America there half of Spanish dictionary involving different terms for searching, mining, digging and silver get involved to call all those different, regional version of this guy.

So no, there is nothing new or unique in mountain men. That's literally generic-ass trapper. The name comes to play, because it's something that descibes AMERICAN trapper, but it doesn't make them unique in any way as such. If they were born 100 years earlier in Canada, they would be called coureur des whatever-it-was-the-third-word
>>
>>52018861
>>52018881
This is actually really pathetic. Get another hobby, those (You)s aren't worth anything.
>>
>>52020085
Name one aspect of your inferior country's culture that has absolutely no similarities to something from another culture.
>>
>>52020085
By that logic, Samurai aren't unique to japan because they're just like Knights, which are just like the warriors under a chief in Ireland or Scotland.
>>
File: Is this going anywhere.jpg (10KB, 329x207px) Image search: [Google]
Is this going anywhere.jpg
10KB, 329x207px
>>52020418
Yes, and...?
>>
>>52020776
They are treated as totally separate entities and mark of separate cultures, and are thus not all called "generic-ass dude with sword and armor."

Don't be a reductive ass.
>>
>>52020171
Not him, but my country had an elective monarchy, with entire nobility taking the vote. And by nobility it literally means that - every noble had a vote and all their votes were equal, since there were no ranks or tiers between them.
While elective monarchy is not unique by itself, a system where nobles are basically like modern-day citizens (and compose 15% of entire population) definitely makes it unique.

Also, amazing religious tolerance in times when everyone was busy killing each other for being "wrong" denomination of Christianity and accepting Jews rather than persecuting them. All while being predominately staunch Catholics

I think I could figure out more, but it's 4 AM and I'm planning to finally go to sleep. Will send more when I will wake up and think straight
>>
>>52020880
Oh, so that totally validates your claim that mountain man is not generic trapper like every other. Sure, totally works like this. Funny how the same type of guy is the coureur des bois (checked them, it's bois) up north and there is literally no difference between them and mountain men, aside one being American and another French-Canadian. And then there are Anglo-Canadian trappers, who don't differ at all from the two, but come under different name.

To make a comparison - you are making an argument if to call Odocoileus virginianus deers or bucks, while they are the same shit. No difference. And your precious mountain men fall in the same bag as every other trapper/prospector ever. They unique feature is coming from US of A, but they are perfectly interchangable
>>
>>52020171
>American
>Name one aspect of your inferior country's culture
Did you just implied there can be a country with culture inferior to American one? What that would have to be? Liberia?
>>
>>52020880
So let me get this straight - he's wrong for being reductive, but you are ok for pretending something generic is unique?

Also, samurai can't fall under "generic-ass dude with sword and armor", being horse archers and sabre-totting guys. English language is probably the only one that calls katana "sword". But then again, English calls any piece of sharp metal "sword", so go figure
>>
File: 1473660022427.png (79KB, 601x351px) Image search: [Google]
1473660022427.png
79KB, 601x351px
>>52020955
You're being overly reductive, since the terrains they dealt with are different while what they did was similar. If I go out and lead someone around in a desert, and know how to survive there, am I somehow the same as the guy who gives you tours through the fucking snow? Mountain men lived in the rockies, which were basically a bunch of deciduous, temperate forests, as opposed to the canadians, who lived in frost-bite-land maple-leaf moose-hell.

>>52021024
Fine then, group them in with the Khans and Cossacks and various Native American Plains Tribes as "Horsemen w/ Weapons."

There's a certain amount of reduction that's alright, but he's acting like all people that fulfill a niche in different cultures are the same. Hyenas are pack predators on the plains of africa, and wolves are pack predators on the tundra, and fulfill the same sort of niche, but Hyenas can't just be switched out with wolves.

>>52020983
And that's just being an asshole.

I'm not even mad about this, it's just making me damn tired.
>>
>>52020171
Also not him, but we count everything to 20 and then start counting another 20. Everyone else usually counts to 10 and start another 10.
>>
>>52021123
>since the terrains they dealt with are different while what they did was similar
>I don't know geography of my own continent
>>
>>52021123
Last time I've checked, Rockies were small part of Cordilleras. I wonder what mountains are in Canada... oh, wait a minute!
But sure, Canada, the land of eternal snow and moose-fuckers. What next? Russia and white bears?
>>
File: mountain_range_us_map_sm.jpg (53KB, 489x328px) Image search: [Google]
mountain_range_us_map_sm.jpg
53KB, 489x328px
>>52021154
>>52021185
The rocky mountains, which also extend almost halfway down through the entire US country to NEW MEXICO, one of the hottest places I've ever been to.
>>
>>52002605
Makes sense, Trump is effectively Gallywix
>>
>>52021217

Don't go to New Mexico.

Don't make my mistake.
>>
>>52021402
Too late, been there already. It's like everything they said, but so much more. So terribly much more.
>>
The boto would be an appropriately creepy antagonist for a session or two.
It's a Brazilian mythological character associated with the abductions of promiscuous, adolescent girls.
>>51989950
This is an excellent monster reference. +1 Internet for you, grea/tg/uy!
>>
>>52021123
Why are you arguing with an uneducated third worlder who just wants some (You)s to fill the hole in his heart?
>>
>>52020983
Wow, you can't even try to name a single thing.
>>
File: 29387520389.png (327KB, 565x562px) Image search: [Google]
29387520389.png
327KB, 565x562px
>>52022083
Habits die hard, man.
>>
>>52020983
>American culture inferior
>Rest of the world warping around it
So are you all wrong or just suicidal?
>>
>>52020171
>>52020883
K, I'm back.

We managed to have colonies without going oversees or even having proper frontier (like Russians did). We just took what's now Western Ukraine and treat locals like dirt.

We survived 123 (nice number, huh?) years without borders, being virtually wiped from the map and came back as if nothing happend. And before that, the country changed borders so many times it's just mind-numbing.

The Polish national epic opens with "Lithuania, my motherland..." and everyone is ok with that. Remember the part about constantly shifting borders?

A wedding party lasts for two days, basically having the second one another day.

If you are invited to someone, you not only need to take off your shoes (duh), but expect from the host to handle you a pair of slippers. Don't be surprised if they ask you for your shoe size and handle you the right size of the slipper.

We don't tip. At all. Unless you count rounding up to full value (1 instead of 0.99) a tip.

Few different Catholic holidays are free from work. I'm not talking about stuff like Christmas or Easter, but really obscure stuff. And that was going even under the commie rule.

And this might not be unique, but we pick mashrooms. All different kinds and sorts of mashrooms. Everytime I'm abroad people give me strange looks when I'm in the forest and start picking them ("They could be poisonous!"). Talk about frontier without frontier and foraging as a hobby (and tasty cooking ingredients)
>>
>>52024476
It's more like Americans spreading like cancer around the world, not the other way around.
And due to War on Terror, US of A literally burned down almost entire soft power it was building for past 50 years.
>>
>>51993438
As a city-slicker relative, I can verify that is the best.
>>
>>52026205
"Spreading like cancer" doesn't prove him wrong, anon.
>>
>>51993438
We usually shot cans in the backyard or went fishing, but I get you.
>>
>>52004478
The history of the world makes a lot of sense when you imagine countries/groups of people as small children.
>>
File: 1428727231151.jpg (132KB, 446x436px) Image search: [Google]
1428727231151.jpg
132KB, 446x436px
>>51987241
If you want to get weird with it I HIGHLY recommend including anarchist groups. Anarchism had a pretty decent foothold in the US for a while, took serious government cracking down to get the fuckers to quiet down god rest their rebellious hearts.

Benjamin Tucker is a great place to start.

Look into how Pinkerton agents and police were used to infiltrate anarchist and socialist groups as well as frame them for crimes.

Before you say you don't want to get politically, I urge you to consider the mythical element of America being the meeting place of old and new ideas. The struggle of your setting should be one of ideas; there is a flush and beautiful land ready to be mounted by society.

The question is, what society will that be? Libertarian isolationists? Plantation slave owners? Anarchist frontiersmen? Unionized laborers? Religious authoritarians? Militant patriots? Shit, did those sneaky god damn Injun stand ins get their hands on deadly magic? Great now they're a contender too. And do I hear the rumblings of not!Europe angry that a colony has thrown off the monarchy's yoke?
>>
>>52017683
Nope. It really is just a gang violence problem.
>>
File: 1425450310137.jpg (26KB, 200x271px) Image search: [Google]
1425450310137.jpg
26KB, 200x271px
>>52028063
You, I like you.
>>
>>51987483
Isn't that the Solomon Kane Roleplaying game?
>>
>>52001190
>MUH HERITAGE
>>
>>52011900
Fun fact: the Aztecs did in fact have the wheel. They used them in toys.
Wheels work well when you have flat ground and roads you need to move stuff on. Not so much in mountainous terrain or jungle-or, God forbid, nothing but both.
>>
>>52006507
Explain.
>>
>>52031496
Cain and Abel imagery is really common in a lot of western (New World) media, as someone who takes in a lot of it myself. "Brother killing brother/Neighbor killing neighbor" is very common in frontier-centric media, as it was a dog-eat-dog (sometimes even man-eat-man) world.
>>
>>52028063
>Anarchism had a pretty decent foothold in the US for a while, took serious government cracking down to get the fuckers to quiet down god rest their rebellious hearts.

When? Where?
>>
I have no idea if anyone has been throwing this idea around. There is great potential in a not!Spanish colonisation of not!Meso-America. There's some great mythology for the Aztecs, Mayans and other assorted peoples. There's pyramid-delving, treasure-hunting (Cibola!) and conversion of the indigs to the one true god. There are sacrifices to evil/different gods and strange monsters you've never heard of as an old worlder. Also, there's jungle sicknesses, hurray!

For Renaissance scenarios involving colonisation, I think I like this set-up best.
>>
>>52001107
>doesn't portray us all as inbred hicks
then what ARE you all?
>>
>>52001544
What if my dream is the eradication of humanity? That's pretty final, I think.
>>
>>52031870
There's always the nutjob that started cloning and repopulates de Earth with look-alike people.
>>
>>52031844
Actually decently friendly with good food and a history of disobeying the law. You have to get to the deeper south for the inbreds-- in the Appalachians we prefer to meet people outside of where we live to get someone to bang.
Though, I have heard from a friend of a town where if two people needed to date, their grandparents had to get together and check family histories due to it being so small.
>>
>>52031694
Definitely in the 20s. I remember reading about it.
>>
>>52032862
Such as:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacco_and_Vanzetti
>>
>>52032924
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0xUl_VRCmM
>>
>>52002131
I'll never understand how people think bringing up American settlers is a good defense of modern immigration. America is literally the perfect example of the worst case scenario of letting foreigners into your country.
>Bunch of foreigners come to your land
>You help them find their footing and establish healthy communities
>They start bringing their extended families over
>Shit gets overcrowded
>They have little to no respect for you or your culture
>If you're too friendly, they start trying to force their religion on you and your children
>They start feeling entitled to your land and start taking it either by negotiation or by force
>You try fighting back but there's just too many of them
>Before you know it, your entire way of life is destroyed, your people get nearly wiped out, and in an act of "kindness" they move what few remain onto reservations
It's the kind of story you'd think pro-immigration people would rather sweep under the rug.
>>
>>52003160
Paul Bunyan, John Henry, Johnny Appleseed, Pecos Bill....
>>
>>51999453
The Star-Spangled Banner is one of the only national anthems in the world that directly features war in its narrative.
>>
>>52033636
I think the idea is to bring up that a huge population of the people in America are foreigners, and it's been that way since what most people consider the founding of modern America.

You could also argue that the country that exists today would do a much better job at keeping foreigners in line than the Native Americans did, and pro-immigration folks would also point at the restricts/bans on Chinese immigration and how fucked that got to show how bad fearmongering over immigrants will get, and how it affects the US's neighbors - Mexico and Canada both quickly jumped on the anti-Chinese bandwagon soon after the US did.
>>
>>51987241
Biker gangs.
>>
>>51995237
Shut the fuck up
>>
>>52034417
>I think the idea is to bring up that a huge population of the people in America are foreigners
BZZZT, WRONG. Those people's ancestors assimilated and are now Americans. If you won't assimilate, there's the door.
>>
>>52031694
Anarchists were the OG terrorists. They even assassinated an American president. Also they set off a bunch of bombs in the early US. It's funny how those pricks have devolved into mouth breathers who strike back at the bourgeoisie by flipping over trash cans and crying on R eddit.
>>
>>52033950
>Company front, comapny front, scam front and fakelore
Congrats, 2 advertising icons, one scam created by con artist and one guy invented to sell books with him

American "culture" in its finest
>>
File: 1456578986951.jpg (12KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
1456578986951.jpg
12KB, 284x177px
So without reading through this whole inevitable /pol/ shitstorm, Here's my thoughts.

The big thing that draws fantasy from European history is Rome. Rome is the empire that was, that held the continent together, whose artifacts can't be replicated and whose ruins dot the landscape.

Every "European" fantasy setting has Rome. Oblivion has the Ayleids. Skyrim has the old nord ruins, the dunmer, etc. LoTR has... fuckin everything - the elves, the forts like weathertop, etc.

If you want to change things, then there's no map of the inland - there's reports, and traders, and hunters, and the knowledge of the locals, but that's it. Nobody's built roads out across the continent, so there's no paths to follow - just rivers and lakes and the like.

There's not old cities; there's wilderness. There's deep, virgin forests over massive broken landscapes. There's small communities of your folk dotting that landscape - and larger, harder to spot communities of a fundamentally alien folk out there as well.

If you find ruins, they're guaranteed to be recent - within fifty years or so. Otherwise the forest has reclaimed it.

The narrative of American history is, therefore, one of tension between the settled world and the wilderness, between law/order in the settlements and freedom/trust in the wild.

Instead of gods, too, there's Paragons. Ben Franklin. John Henry. Paul Bunyan. Johnny Appleseed. Figures of immense personal stature, who're something like the Saints in Catholicism or the Loa in Vodoun.

As for wildlife - things people have never fucking seen before, and bigger than they ever have besides. Throw in some ancient wildlife - ground sloths, terrorbirds, monitors, titanoboas.

Oh, and the biomes - massive swaths of wilderness of similar types. The biggest swamps, grass fields as far as the eye can see, mountains that fill the horizon.
>>
>>52035450
But whose to say these people won't assimilate? Didn't the people of the past worry that foreigners wouldn't assimilate? And look how it turned out - distinct cultural presences in some areas, but all considered very American.

The whole problem is people's fears that the newcomers won't assimilate, but why wouldn't they want to? Even if they keep a distinct culture for a while, joining up with the dominant culture is what most societies do anyway.
>>
>>52035883
Experience!

Islam has literally never successfully assimilated into the West. Nonwhites have never integrated to a more advanced society en masse without bringing the entire society down to their level, like Brazil
>>
>>52021504
Thank you, it took a long ass time to put that list together
>>
>>51987241
Just go play Shadowrun
>>
>>52035450
>All the "Little Italies", "Small Odessas", "Chinatowns" and other forms of ethnic and national ghettos
>HURR MELTING PAN DURRR!
2017 and there are still people believing in this bullshit
>>
I had this concept for a 1920 fantasy setting where the country the players were in was Greek, Roman, and Italian in ancestry and culture, but went under Anglo rule for a couple centuries until their independence, but then had a civil war that 'ended' in an armistice, but the nation was
left divided. Then players could do all the prohibition era stuff they'd like to, with some Spanish Civil War flare to it. But also elves and shit. I had watched Baccano when I thought of this
>>
>>52036612

people self-ghettoized due to discrimination in the past. those that assimilated were specifically attempting to avoid said ghettoization and lessen discrimination against them by americanizing their kids. it's not uncommon to hear of 2nd generation american kids not being taught their mother tongue by their 1st gen parents to avoid the discrimination they and their off-the boat parents faced.

nowadays it's almost the exact opposite, with people clinging to their old culture for dear life (since obviously america is a culture-less cesspool, right?), refusing to adapt to even the most basic of american customs (such as speaking english), and then being mad when american society doesn't cater to them and claiming discrimination despite the fact there are policies that are there for their explicit benefit (affirmative action).

if they don't want to become an american, why do they want to live in america?
>>
>>52035534
They tried to save you from the state
Why didnt you listen?
Do you just like the feeling of serving others?
>>
File: 1448818422114.jpg (15KB, 154x208px) Image search: [Google]
1448818422114.jpg
15KB, 154x208px
>>52031694
All time periods, all places. Major concentrations in the northern urban areas where workers toiled in factories.

Here's some names to google for more information on the subject:

>Benjamin Tucker
>Emma Goldman
>>>52032924 has you on sacco and vanzetti
>Roger Owen
>Haymarket Affair
>Comstock (targeted smut, contraception, etc but also anarchists)

Best of luck with the setting friend!
>>
>>51992746
It's funny because he looks like he's masterbating.
>>
>>51987241
The Kentucky Long Rifle
The Louisiana Horse-Gators (Jackson's ace-in-the-hole)
Frontier Wars
Shiners vs Revenuers
Natives trade their lands away for shiny blue beads
>>
>>52036969
There is that pesky fact that in a truly anarchistic system, there is by definition no mechanism to prevent the formation of a government which would replace that system.

Hierarchical bureaucracies work because even with the inevitable overgrowth, the use of repeatable, standardize procedures and formalized chain of command means they can get a lot of day-to-day shit done. If anarchy was in any way capable of the same, we wouldn't have evolved bureaucratic governments in the first place.

TLDR show me an anarchic system that can consistently provide safety and high quality of living, and I'll show you a willing anarchist. Till then, tough shit.
>>
File: never spook to me again.jpg (125KB, 882x960px) Image search: [Google]
never spook to me again.jpg
125KB, 882x960px
>>52038749
>there is by definition no mechanism to prevent the formation of a government which would replace that system.
Guns, history books, preservation instincts and the internet for starters

The amount of waste produced by bureaucratic oversight and short term profits is so trash continent in the ocean sized that I'm amazed you'd describe authoritarian systems as efficient
>>
>>52010572
>your country is like a third-world shithole with first world tech and few civilised spots
So you're saying it's the PoL setting, with tech as a stand-in for magic?
>>
File: Descender_1_ECCC_SGM_variant.jpg (7MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Descender_1_ECCC_SGM_variant.jpg
7MB, 1988x3056px
>>51992713
Personally I think it gets progressively worth (I've read the first 3 volumes and most of the Sasquatch issues), but I'm still interested in it. Descender was pretty similar in going from Good→Ok if you've read it, but I think Descender retains its quality a bit longer.
>>
>>51987241
How about you stop making everything so Americentric you fucking burger.
>>
>>52039557
> Guns
Can be and often are tools used by a government to expand its power. The assumption that the power to use violence will inherently favor the unorganized is challenged by much of human history. Ungoverned spaces can be brought under the control of a faction that simply snowballs through the use of violence, either sweeping aside or absorbing other factions until it is basically the de facto government of the area.
>>
>>52041470
Pal you are way too late for that to work.
>>
>>52041470
Why do you keep sucking our dick is you don't want the jizz?
>>
The leftist boards have been unusually butthurt about America recently, huh.
>>
>>52036968
>people self-ghettoized due to discrimination in the past
And in the present?

>if they don't want to become an american, why do they want to live in america?
Jobs, and more freedom than their current shithole country allows them. They will then of course attempt to impose the same laws and cultural norms that make their culture so shit.

Why do 'refugees' want to go to Britain and Germany when they're already in Italy or France? Money.
>>
>>52041520
Oh right, government as a "defense". How useful. A major reason why the outmoded state remains in power today is simple because it was in power yesterday. Once removed I don't doubt that other power hungry creatures will try to remove the rights of men.

The only thing to do in those cases is fight back. What are we going to do? Get into an online pissing contest about tactics? Unorganized guerilla fighting has been the bane of organized armies since Googak threw a rock at Ambibi from the woods.

Repelling bands of armed brigands who think they should be in charge is in my opinion part and parcel of the anarchist ideology. The mass communication of the internet and easy transference of resources in an anarchist society makes me confidant that a sufficiently large liberated area would do just fine in defending it's sovereignty.

It's also worth mentioning that centralization itself is a weakness. A mismanagement of resources both material and human. The elevation of some, possibly one, above others is antithetical to a well run society. "Leader of millions of people" is an absurd job description for anybody. Their needs can NEVER be tended to by a foreign party better than by themselves; barring mental disabilities of course.

Furthermore it is incredibly dehumanizing to trust your fate to others rather than control it yourself. Morale would be ostensibly be more on the side of freedom than servitude. Economic victory is also possible. If you're familiar with why slave labor is in the long run awful for an economy, you'll understand why production and innovation in a free society would outpace the authoritarian one.
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 57

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.