[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your favorite opening chess moves? Mine is pawn to b3

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

File: CHESS.png (78KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
CHESS.png
78KB, 600x600px
What are your favorite opening chess moves?
Mine is pawn to b3 then bishop to b2.
People often forget about that bishop and make the mistake of leaving their rook unguarded, plus it creates a wall of sorts if you decide to castle. My third move would be to move one of my knights out. Tell me about some of your strategies.
>>
>>51985401
Fianchettoing your bishop on move 2 as white. Sounds awful.

Although I'm used to opening the French defence as black, so you'd definitely give me a pause after b3.
>>
i memorized every line of theory for the orangutan / grob when i was in a local chess club

was loads of fun but against online randos or a savvy local club you're better off sticking to sicilian for black and maybe english for white
>>
Queen's gambit, Sicilian defense, and Semi-Slav defense. I realize I'm pretty boring.
>>
OP here.
Never studied chess. Just played a LOT of it while in jail and picked up a few things. I usually just start off with a few basic openings and then adjust my strategy depending on their moves.
>>
>>51985401

Is there any opening moves involving rooks that isn't terrible?
>>
>>51986647
No but pushing your H pawn happens often in classical games
>>
>>51986647
I knew a guy. He would always open by pushing the the pawn in front of his rook as far as he could. After taking that pawn out he would try to distract me on the other side of the board and eventually take his rook out. His strategy was weird. He would basically sacrifice most of his pieces just to get the more powerful ones in positions he wanted. He would beat me sometimes even when I outpowered him. Opening with your rook isnt terrible, but if you're against an experienced player, I wouldn't do it.
>>
>>51986590
See, you can't just say that and not follow up with your story now
>>
i love the dutch defense and gambits too
>>
>>51986869
Lol am I suppose to tell you every move we made?
>>
>>51985401

Think opening principles, not individual lines.

In every opening, you want to do 3 major things

1) Keep your king safe
2) Develop your pieces off the back row.
3) Control the center.

Obviously, these three interrelate. If you've got a massive development lead, your king is probably safer than your opponent's no matter where it happens to be on the board, since you've got the means at hand to attack and defend. Controlling the center allows for easy piece development, etc.

Personally, I'm a queen pawn player as white, and as black, I tend to go for Najdorf Sicilians against e4 and a whole mess of things against d4.

>>51986647

Very rarely. Consider. If you want to get your rook in on the center by direct movement, you've got one move to push a rook pawn, another to bring your rook to a3/h3/a6/h6, and then a third to move it towards the center. In the meantime, you've pushed one shoulder pawn, and probably blocked the path for your bishops.

For a few more moves in say, a Ruy Lopez, you can push a king pawn, develop your kingside knight and bishop, castle, and then move your rook to e1. That takes 5 moves, not 3, but in the meantime you've grabbed some central squares and thrown two more pieces into good spots in addition to just bringing your rook out.

Anyone up for a quick game on lichess?
>>
>>51986895
Pretty sure he means why you were doing time, bonehead.
>>
When are they going to nerf the fucking Queen already?
>>
>>51986993
OP here. Lets see if you can match my jailhouse style. ;) send link.
>>
>>51985401
>Mine is pawn to b3 then bishop to b2.
>People often forget about that bishop and make the mistake of leaving their rook unguarded
wow, it's like listening to magnus carlsson
>>
>>51987101
https://en.lichess.org/GjyckVXd

Here you go. I set it to unlimited time, but if you want any particular time controls, I can reset it pretty quickly.
>>
Na3秘技
>>
>>51985401
I like to open with the fact that I have a good relationship with my opponents significant other and am more attractive than them.
>>
>>51987196
Ah yes, the old bishop queenside.
>>
>>51987153
lol black is a fuckin scrub
>>
>>51987153
>https://en.lichess.org/GjyckVXd
floplop im down to play after you spank this guy
>>
>>51986869
>>51987011
OP stalked and murdered someone who called him names on the internet
>>
>>51987271

Ok, here we go. Round three.

https://lichess.org/dHWS6mOr
>>
FlopLop is good. Examine how he moves. You can learn a thing or two from this guy.
>>
I used to play a bunch of chess in middle school, then joined the trivia club in highschool that ran at the same time as the chess club. Always wonder what could have been.

Meh, chess is solved anyway /s
>>
>>51987568
Here we go
>>
>>51987568
not me i missed the post
>>
ill keep this tab open though and absolutely play you next one my man
>>
>>51985401
Pawn to D3
I like to open with my strongest units ready to fuck shit up
>>
>>51985939
While it's not a fianchetto, there is an opening called the orangutan which uses b4 as the first move. I don't think it's that good though, and I only really know it because of the name ("ha! face the power of my orangutan!")
>>
>>51987876
orangutan has lots of dumb gimmicks and traps that you can use

commit all major lines to memory and its a great tool for speed chess
>>
>>51987760
I didnt there was a line
>>
>>51988060
there wasnt a line he just replied to my post is all and im hopin he'll play another
>>
I should've taken the knight. Gg
>>
>>51988171

That, or Rg8 so you could retreat the light square bishop without giving up your other bishop.

When I said whoops, I was referring to myself and how I let the g4 pawn slip. Still, a very tough game. I think I have enough energy for one more play, if someone wants a game.

https://lichess.org/Xz74xdWG
>>
>>51988367

Not sure what happened there, but it was only an 8 mover, I don't count that as a "real" game.

I'll play black this one, I've had 3 whites and only 1 black.

https://lichess.org/Jk0pFRbo
>>
>>51988502

Well, that's it for the night, at least for play. Made a VERY bad slip there, with ...12 Qxe5, an immediate Bf4, (instead of waiting for the g3 pawn push) almost certainly wins a piece.

Anyway, while I'm too tired to keep playing, I will dispense advice if anyone particularly wants any.
>>
>>51988702
I played the third game against you (d4 Nf6 c4 e6 Nc3 g6) do you have advice opening wise ?

Also I kind of fucked up doing e6 then g6 right ? I changed my mind after e6, didn't want to play Bb4.
>>
>>51988808

Generally, yeah, you should avoid playing both e6 and g6; you can only commit your bishop to one diagonal, and opening both means you have a hole in your pawns somewhere. Similarly, you wasted some time when you kicked my bishop pinning, you moved the pawn from g6 and then to g5 in two separate moves, and note, that if you hadn't pushed the e pawn, you wouldn't have needed to bother with the pin at all.

I screwed up somewhere with how locked up that position became; on one hand, your dark square bishop was pretty shut in after e5, but mine wasn't much better, and you definitely had the upper hand around the middlegame.

But generally, stick to one plan, especially very early in the game when your opponent's ability to interfere is limited. If you want your bishop to be on the long diagonal, only move the pawns you need to get it there. Try to minimize pawn moves in general,as well as multiple moves for the same piece.
>>
>>51988969
Thx
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.