[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey, /tg/ I'm supposed to be DMing for my friend, his brother,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: 1483774777231.jpg (173KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1483774777231.jpg
173KB, 800x600px
hey, /tg/

I'm supposed to be DMing for my friend, his brother, his brother's girlfriend, their roommate, and some other dude every Tuesday. Their other DM flaked on them, and I'm stepping in to salvage their D&D time.

I'm kind of a weird dude, or at least I give off that vibe, so I don't know if they warmed up to me yet. I was pretty reserved when I met them all yesterday, and I ended up leaving after about three hours.

I'm worried because they're all high functioning normies, and I'm a total NEET on autismbux.

Anyways, I showed them my method of playing, which is setting a television on a table and connecting it to my laptop with HDMI and then using the roll20 program (since I don't have miniatures) and they were pretty impressed with it.

What should I do to make sure that they're down with having me as their DM next Tuesday?

I bought a chainmail coif for 20 dollars to wear while I DM, and I've been practicing my voices. I'm going to wear it for a short while and take it off once the novelty wears thin.

Picture unrelated.
>>
>>51972378
In your words, they are the high functioning normies, so trust in there basic ability as adults to tell you if they no longer want to play with you.

Hide the mail and put it on as a prop when they meet an important warrior type.
>>
>>51972378
Run a game, if everyone has fun continue, if people aren't having fun don't continue. Wow that was hard
>>
>using miniatures with casual gamers
>wearing a chainmail

I'm pretty sure this is bait, but I'm gonna risk it and say it: OP, don't do this.
>>
>>51972522
Thanks for the idea, will do.

>>51972607
Fair enough.

>>51972756
Not bait.
>>
File: tyrannized-mach-1.jpg (32KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
tyrannized-mach-1.jpg
32KB, 320x240px
>>51972378
>I'm supposed to be DMing for my friend, his brother, his brother's girlfriend, their roommate, and some other dude every Tuesday

I read that as domming when I opened this thread, very disappointed now.

>I bought a chainmail coif for 20 dollars to wear while I DM, and I've been practicing my voices.

Nevermind you might just have what it takes afterall.
>>
>>51972378
>pic
>using the prefix nu-
End this meme
>>
>>51972856
But muh high-minded special snowflake without being called a special snowflake armchair misanthropy...
>>
File: 1319690780633.jpg (241KB, 572x300px) Image search: [Google]
1319690780633.jpg
241KB, 572x300px
>>51972856
I really don't understand this idea that you're not having fun, you're just tricked into thinking you're having fun.

What the fuck is the tangible, practical difference between thinking you're having fun and actually having fun?

This vague faggotry infested /v/ for years and I'm seeing more and more of it on /tg/ as well.
>>
>>51978059
The obvious example is skinner boxes. People will do shitty things to make numbers go up, and derive some satisfaction from seeing that happen, so they are conditioned to do the same stupid thing over and over to get higher numbers while not actually enjoying themselves.

A good example is world of tanks. People will grind for days just to get a higher tier of tank which plays practically the same but does bigger numbers to enemy numbers. Many do not actually enjoy playing!
>>
>>51978155
>they derive satisfaction from...
>...while not actually enjoying themselves

This idea is self-contradictory.

And yes, lots of games are grindfests, and it can take some people time to realize the progression is more interesting than the game. That doesn't mean their fun isn't "real fun," it just isn't worth the effort to get to the fun part due to the fun part being insufficient or leaning too much on parts that aren't fun.
>>
>>51978059
>>51978155
>>51978187
I think the key is engagement vs enjoyment. A grindfest/skinnerbox can be very engaging, impossible to tear yourself away from, even, but it doesn't mean you necessarily enjoy the experience the way you enjoy good food or time with friends. I think that people often rationalize spending a lot of time on a grindfest game as enjoying it, when really they're just engaged by it.
>>
>>51978187
By that definition we should just all shoot heroin.
>>
>>51978236
Personally, in my own personal opinion, which is subjective to me personally, I don't find that kind of engagement actually engaging. It can spice up an already likeable experience, it can make a good thing a little better, but it can't engage me by itself.

I file such games that aren't fun without the skinnerbox under "not my kind of thing" and remember that my subjective experience is not the same as everyone else's.
>>
File: 1443767907081.png (48KB, 1344x174px) Image search: [Google]
1443767907081.png
48KB, 1344x174px
>>51972378
>>
File: 1471428163157.jpg (1MB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1471428163157.jpg
1MB, 1000x1000px
Seeing as it hasn't really been covered, you should probably stay away from "Mature" content early on, until you sort of get their pulse for things. Stay away from heavily describing gore, avoid allusions to rape or sex, don't bring up child death and keep away from the magical realm.

Of course, they're likely ok with some level of some of these things, but see how they go with a PG 13 movie before moving to an Mature or Restricted one.

Otherwise, just do your best. People who are new to RPGs actually enjoy a bit of hand holding and being pretty obviously railroaded between scenes and encounters, as they tend to not be sure exactly what to do, but if you're replacing a DM they'll probably know enough of the ropes to take some initiative.

Also, it's totally ok for the DM to be the strangest of the group.
>>
>>51978059
>I really don't understand this idea that you're not having fun, you're just tricked into thinking you're having fun.
It's basically the "you don't actually play story games to have fun, you play them to make everyone else think you're smart and you have fun from a sense of superiority instead" argument rephrased a bit. There's a distinct category of person for who if they see someone playing something they don't get the appeal of, they assume it's some kind of scam. Ironically, this then allows them to derive fun from imaged superiority.

(This is kind of distinct from how good or suitable your games are, though; I could probably have fun playing just about anything, but from experience I can say running Exalted and 4e is a lot of effort, and trying to twist D&D into being a dynastic politics game or something is far more effort than just playing HotB or Reign for the same purpose)
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.