[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A player pointed out that she wasn't getting nearly enough

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1486950193240.png (2MB, 858x1242px) Image search: [Google]
1486950193240.png
2MB, 858x1242px
A player pointed out that she wasn't getting nearly enough Compels in the Fate game I'm playing. And honestly, NOBODY is. I manage to give out like, one or two a session, which makes the players less willing to spend what few points they get from Refresh.

Any advice on remembering to give out compels? There is admittedly a small problem where the players have a few too many vague, navel-gazing personality trait aspects that are hard to compel. But I think maybe I'm building encounters too D&Dy and less Fate-y to begin with...

One idea I've had is basically giving up on 'spur of the moment' compels because clearly I'm shit at them, and then designing scenes with 'okay, at the royal ball I'm going to to try compelling this. If it's accepted, X, if not, Y.' So rather than 'there is a group of bandits in this room' I'd design the scene like 'if this aspect is compelled, X recurring villain shows up to support bandits, if not, empty room and move along to something more exciting'

Another thing I'm having trouble with is making compels exciting 'Oh Shit' moments... but not making them 'haha you are out of fate points, all aboard the railroad'

Thoughts? I'm kinda just brainstorming out loud but I feel like compels are the weakest part of my Fate GMing and they're supposed to be a big part
>>
When plotting a new arc or session try to take into account the PCs trouble AND other aspects that could complicate things. I remember reading one piece of advice for Fate was to take an aspect from each character and make an adventure that includes them all.
PCs can self compel, if they act in accordance with their aspects, especially if they make the story more complicated to resolve, you can retroactively reward them, without formalizing the compel.
If the PCs have to be smooth and suave at a soiree, but you want to give them a compel, but none of their troubles seem appropriate examine their aspects for implicit or explicit complications. Say the guy with the Last Good Cop aspect is compelled to go help out a waitress being hassled by a lech, or he see's a criminal in attendance and he can't resist giving the guy the evil eye and casting aspersions on his good name in front of his socialite buddies or any of a number of things.
Pick an aspect that might prevent things going smoothly, make the option fun or entertaining and demonstrative of who that character is, and build upon them in the future so you have ready made plot-hooks or compels waiting in the wings.
>>
>>51958397
thanks anon

It's too bad, but self-compels aren't a thing this campaign. One of my players feels like self-compels are cheesey and since the other players are new they aren't really good with the system and follow that players lead on that regard.
>>
>>51957863
Have a list of the PC's aspects in front of you at all times, but especially when setting up your scene, choose one appropriate aspect from each player to focus on, and see if you can hit it during the scene with a compel, tick the ones that you use and cross the ones that you successfully compelled.
In some scenes you're only going to want to try to compel one or two players, you don't want to overcomplicate your story, but I probably wouldn't suggest only compelling the character with the least Fate points because you might create a self-fuelling spot-light stealing machine if they're spending and regaining their Fate faster than anyone else.
>>
>>51958495
Self-compels seem like they're just informal regular compels, if your character is acting in accordance with their aspects AND making things interesting as if they'd been compelled, I figure you might as well award them with Fate points.

http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/65474/how-does-compelling-your-own-aspects-work
http://reddicediaries.com/tag/self-compels/

I also stress to players that they should definitely choose Troubles they find fun to play with (and also the other players and GM find fun or tolerable as well), they aren't going to do you any good if you hate having to deal with them.
>>
>>51957863

What is that image from?
It looks like a neat read.
>>
>>51959834
Looks like it's from a manga called Made In Abyss.
>>
File: buildings 1.jpg (584KB, 1280x944px) Image search: [Google]
buildings 1.jpg
584KB, 1280x944px
>>51957863
Remind your players how to self compel. There's no way the GM can reasonably remember and involve every aspect the players come up with, so if they don't pick up the slack and game the system a little of course they're going to be left high and dry.

It's the biggest weakness of FATE by far.
>>
If your players are complaining about a lack of Fate points, but also don't want to self-compel, that's a problem mostly caused by them. You can't be expected to be constantly compelling 4-5 different characters while also managing the rest of the game.

You should have a serious talk with them about the importance of self-compelling, and how it unfairly overburdens you if they don't do it but still expect loadsa Fate points.

I'm also a bit alarmed at the idea that someone would find self-compels "cheesy". They're a huge part of slipping into acharacter's mindset in Fate.

You should really talk over your group's misconceptions about self-compels. Fate demands a lot of narrative buy-in from the players as well as the GM.
>>
Additionally, you should definitely workshop your players' Aspects if some are not concrete enough to compel easily. Even navel-gazing aspects can be OK if they suggest some kind of actionable emotional conflict directly related to the plot, but that connection needs to be there. For example, I once played a character whose Trouble was effectively that she was haunted by her past, but since the *reason* she was haunted is that she sat by and did nothing while her city plunged into chaos for decades, there was some meat there for myself and the GM to drag her into situations with compels.
>>
>>51957863
Whean dealing with a compell's the first thing to bear in mind is the Aspect's themselves. Before you give the Okay on the aspect have the player give you three exampel uses for it, a positve boost a negative boost and a compell. A good aspect is ALWAYS a double edged sword.

Write down your players aspect on an index card and keep it in front of you.

And lastly, players can SELF compell when they want more chips. You've just got to keep them from milking chips by doing things that don't really inconvience them.

Examples to follow

Got a GM who homebrewed a FATE conversion for 7th Sea. We ported over our old characters from the 7th sea game. My guy was Castillian swordsman, had the Mask of Zoro school. Member of Los Vagos (inquisition burned his sister) Member of a military family who turned down his commision so he could rooftop leap and buckle inquisitorial swashes. (Had the Captain Skill, but no ranks) Flaw was Lecherous, and to round him out had a level of Miracle Worker.

The FATE game picked up about a year after the first campaing ended so we had split up and done our own things. Since we'd succeded in toppling the inquisition he took the commission at last.

Migeul Diego de Gellegos del Castillo

High Concept Captain of the Castillan Armada.

Hot Blooded Ladies Man (Bonuses to seduce, eaiser to BE seduced, can be compelled to start fights or to chase exactly the wrong skirt)

Member of the Swordsman's Guild (Bonuses to swordfighting, penalties to trying things outside of schools teachings, can be compelled to have accept commisions)

Beloved of Theus. (bonuses to the miracle stunts, penalties to things Theus does not aprove off, can be compelled to chase down the evil things that do not belong in this world)

He worked out some miricles and the Aprentice, journyman and master abilities of the swordsman schools as the stunts or kancks or whatever the FATE system called those trade in one permanant fate chip for this bonus here things.
>>
>>51957863
I just told my GM, "I have this, I want this to happen", he verified what I had in mind, and then it happened.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.