[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So fa/tg/uys I've been bitten by the DM bug again. I looked

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 7

File: rustbaby1.png (92KB, 500x732px) Image search: [Google]
rustbaby1.png
92KB, 500x732px
So fa/tg/uys I've been bitten by the DM bug again. I looked over some of my old notes and what not and came across a quick and dirty napkin idea draft of a game.

A Monster PC game, but using non-humanoid monsters. Ala the storytime threads by a trip named Red Crawler. (The threads are on the suptg archive.)

The concept was that the PC's would be a rabble of 'awakened' or enlightened monsters, their master would be a wizard who specialized in breeding and creating magical critters and beasts.

Anything from hippogriffs, to lobstergriffs, or even the guy who made owlbears. Doing it for the sake of his own curiosity and the whole drive to see if he could.

He turned himself into a Lich to keep going and maybe his disposal (see: Controlled Release) turned the towns folk and maybe a few nations against him.

The local heros come to kill WizardDad and the game game would open with how the Party came to their awakening and figuring out where to go from there.

My only questions really are, does this seem like a fun game?

How the hell would I play this monster of an idea?

Modify an edition of DnD? Using some sort of pointbuy system instead?? I don't mind homebrewing things if it comes to it so that seems to be the best/easiest option to me.

Gonna post a cute rustmonster comic in honor of Red Crawler and the game that gave me the idea.
>>
File: rustbaby2.png (113KB, 500x732px) Image search: [Google]
rustbaby2.png
113KB, 500x732px
>>
File: rustbaby3.png (151KB, 500x732px) Image search: [Google]
rustbaby3.png
151KB, 500x732px
If I use a hacked version of DnD I'd likely use 3.5 or 5e. Just write custom levels for the monsters after talking it out with the players about what sort of role they'd want to fill.

4e's power system might work better though, for structure. But I feel the hard limitation to use grid to be a major minus.
>>
File: rustbaby4.png (136KB, 500x732px) Image search: [Google]
rustbaby4.png
136KB, 500x732px
>>
File: rustbaby5.png (155KB, 500x732px) Image search: [Google]
rustbaby5.png
155KB, 500x732px
>>
>>51941944
It seems like it would be very difficult to tie players together if they all picked different monsters. At least with ye olde murderhoboes there's always an inn and a wanted poster.

It could work as a brainless dungeon romp (nothing wrong with that) but I don't see it going any deeper.

Consider that maybe the players awaken at the very bottom of the Wizard's secret laboratory and they have to get through the dungeon in order to exit.
>>
Also consider, if the players were likely experimented upon by the wizard, would they really be friendly to him? Assuming some level of human-like intelligence (so you're already magical beast/abberation going by D&D terms) you might consider the adventurers to be your saviours. The rag-tag team of weird monsters come to the nearby village, following the tracks of adventurers, thankful for their release.

How are they met? Probably with some scorn, but you could essentially have them become unconventional heroes of the land.
>>
File: rustbaby6.png (132KB, 500x732px) Image search: [Google]
rustbaby6.png
132KB, 500x732px
>>51943130
Thats fair. I figured the monsterPCs would more or less stick together, saftey in numbers sort of deal.

As a romp it'd be fun but I think it could go places depending if the group was on the same page.

>>51943157
That'd be a totally viable route for it to take. If they wanted to be noble monsters. The idea I sort of had was that the PC's would figure out what they wanted to do once they got out of the lair.

Them 'awakening' or whatever would actually have happened during the scuffle that killed their maker.

Magic what have, maybe some sort of geas to try and revive the master, or a shard of his phylactery gets stuck in them and that is the catalyst of it all.

Either way the party would have options, follow in the masters footsteps or figure out what the hell else he may have been up to. Maybe find others like themselves ect.
>>
>>51941944
Had a game like that a ways back. We used 3.PF and these homebrews:

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=270.0

Unfortunately the game didn't last very long. I thought it had a lot of potential though.
>>
File: 2009-03-18-rusty1-84ffb1d3.jpg (100KB, 356x830px) Image search: [Google]
2009-03-18-rusty1-84ffb1d3.jpg
100KB, 356x830px
>>51941944
I ran a hell of a one-shot once (Pathfinder) by telling the party to pick any monster at or below CR1 from the bestiary.
>If you picked something really weak, you got to control more of them.
>They were the minions of some BBEG, ordered to defend this evil artifact to the death.
>I then gave them the dungeon map, told them to work out a defense plan.
>they didn't plan jack, but the roleplaying was fantastic.
>The orc got in a fight with the dryad about who should be in charge, which was broken up by the gelatinous cube.
>The two rust monsters started eating the dungeon traps until the mimic lured them away
>the orc finally gave up and started painting art on the walls to pass the time.
>the dryad dug a pit trap, but the gelatinous cube fell in it
>Along come a party of a Barbarian, a Paladin, a Rogue, and a Wizard, all level 1.
>The mimic had transformed into a sign that said "beware of mimic"
>The barbarian stepped in the gelatinous cube pit and died.
>The rogue was eaten by the mimic
>the paladin was flanked and de-armored by the rust monsters, and punched to death by the dryad.
>the Wizard just left.
>>
>>51943748
>all the traps in dungeons aren't intentional, they are just the mess ups of somewhat inept monsters.
>despite this, they are hilariously effective

Thats the best idea i've heard all day.
>>
>>51943515
Oh wow, this looks great I'll take a look.

>>51943748
That sounds pretty amazing.
>>
What sorts of monsters would people want to play as?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.