[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm struggling to come up with a name for my setting. How

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: kot.jpg (77KB, 800x539px) Image search: [Google]
kot.jpg
77KB, 800x539px
I'm struggling to come up with a name for my setting. How do you guys come up with names for your places, people etc,?
>>
Think of up to 3 Random syllables, and put then together.

>>Cral-Cat-Ean
>Cralcatean

>>Mey-Zor-Ine
>Meyzorine

>>Man-Yah-Ran
>Manyahran
>>
I just come up with cool names.

>>51933358
This works too I guess
>>
I just sort of do it. I figure out what the local language sounds like as far as phonemes and shit, and then just kind of roll from there.
>>
>>51933358
>Three
Don't be a bitch, do for.
>>
A bit of a the Araki way by just taking music related names. Or some times I take words and change them around. Ex. I named an island that ran on windmill power Winn Pixies from the store Winn Dixies
>>
>>51933627
roll 1d4 for syllables
>>
>>51933139
I just use a random name generator or spend hours trying to think of something on my own that I don't find to be complete garbage 5 seconds after thinking about it.
>>
>>51933358

Hey this is actually pretty cool
>>
Pull a one word description of it and run it though google translate until you find something you like
>>
>>51933743
1d6

1-5 are for syllables, 6 is for a cool sounding real word.
>>
File: 1488146417227s.jpg (3KB, 125x115px) Image search: [Google]
1488146417227s.jpg
3KB, 125x115px
>>51933139

How about Chuck? That's a fine, masculine name.
>>
>>51934026
Same. Works best if no one in your group is multilingual or a sperg.
>>
>>51933139
Name for my setting was actually an accident. I took Latin word for world, mundus, and swapped out a letter. Mundus is also the name for the universe in elder scrolls games, so that helped it comes to mind. Mundur was supposed to be a temporary name until I figured out something better, but the couple people I started building the setting with liked it, so it's stuck around so far.
>>
>>51933139

For geography, I make a map in advance. No real need to come up with stuff on the fly. People usually ahve a system, but my preference is to mix all the different types of names. That's closer to how it really happens.

For names, I have a list of about 50 names ready to go; more if I have to have different ethnic or racial origin names (like elven names, dwarven names, etc). So when I have an NPC come up to the players, if they ask what his name is, then I can immediately rattle off an answer. If he becomes a recurring character, great. If not, then I add more names to replenish the list and keep going.

Players often ask for names partly to put you on the spot, and partially to see if a given NPC is important or not. If you have to visibly fumble to come up with a name, it's a clear tell that the character is minor an unimportant. Characters with names are important to the plot-- and this sucks if you're trying to slip in an important NPC like an informant or villain or something under their radar.

Locations I haven't had this problem with, but if I did I'd have a list of names ready for different significant locations like taverns in a D&D setting.
>>
File: 1487386456761.gif (196KB, 320x296px) Image search: [Google]
1487386456761.gif
196KB, 320x296px
http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=fantasynameex

you're welcome
>>
>>51933139

Languages. Anytime, I want to come up with a name for something, I use a different language.
>>
>>51933139
For places, I just do mouth-noises until it sounds good. 2-4 syllables for places or gods, 2-3 for people. If I feel like doing research, I sometimes actually just find things relating to someone's personality and smash them together- in the language of the culture they maybe vaguely come from.
>>
>>51933139
Without sounding like an asshat here, it depends on the setting.
>>
>>51935443
What would be a good way to determine the name for a sci fi with fantasy bits?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.