[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>my (fantasy race) are like normal (fantasy race) except they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 226
Thread images: 38

File: dorf.jpg (6KB, 96x80px) Image search: [Google]
dorf.jpg
6KB, 96x80px
>my (fantasy race) are like normal (fantasy race) except they are (earth culture)
>my (fantasy race) are like normal (fantasy race) except they don't (defining characteristic of what makes a fantasy race identifiable)
> my (fantasy race) are like normal (fantasy race) except they are (other fantasy race instead)
Stop building shit worlds you fucking plebs
>>
>>51928178
>tfw accidentally made elves a greedy, Jewish stereotype.
I just wanted them to call the shots over humans since they're longer lived, but it ended up turning into a bunch of knife-ears rubbing their hands together as you shop at one of their chain stores.
>>
>>51928178
It's rough
Some of us have a handle on what makes a game interesting for our party of players.
Some of us are still navel gazing, and don't have the luxury of experince
>>
>>51928178
Maybe learn how writing works, you fucking idiot.
>>
>>51928263
>shitty forced "subversive" elements are good writing
Educate me
>>
File: 1484801063610.jpg (59KB, 500x586px) Image search: [Google]
1484801063610.jpg
59KB, 500x586px
this has made me feel like human is the best race, if you cant make humans interesting your doing it wrong, dwarfs are cool, elfs are cool but im still drawn to a human only setting.
>>
>>51928178
Stop having autism, you cunt
>>
>>51929677
The key is making the other races fundamentally different in a way beyond build and mild cultural differences.
There is a plague of people who think "time to make a fantasy world" and include the dwarves and the elves and the orcs half heartedly without much thought because it's a "requirement" in their eyes, leading to dwarves who are just short humans who dig, elves who are just humans who are slightly more magical and orcs who are human barbarians with a predilection for cannibalism.
To be intresting for role play, and to be a useful story element that actually opens new doors instead of giving the existing door a coat of paint, your races need to be different on a fundamental level. Give them an inherently different manner of reproduction and life cycle, give them different relationships with the world, give them very different relationships with magic, and give them a culture that humans would never have because of these differences.
And you're right, if exploring these differences isn't important to the story, having the fantasy races is fucking pointless.
>>
>>51929913
Tell me about your unique setting and its mongolian orcs and Viking elves anon
>>
>>51930023

You leave my spanish gnoll conquistadors and gnome aztecs alone.
>>
File: tmp_7839-Elf Ears1035878055.gif (86KB, 596x372px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_7839-Elf Ears1035878055.gif
86KB, 596x372px
>>51930023
>Viking elves
My elves are Vikings except when they're Cossacks or pirates.
>>
File: neanderthal or Dwarf.jpg (34KB, 780x520px) Image search: [Google]
neanderthal or Dwarf.jpg
34KB, 780x520px
>>51928178
Dwarves are literally just jewish vikings with scottish accents who live in celtic underworld realms who look like exaggerated neanderthals.

And that's just Tolkien.
>>
>>51930023
>>51930238
Well Scandinavian folklore does have their own elves, dwarves, and trolls, you could easily make a setting inspired by their folklore to have just that: viking elves

>but but but then they won't be a copypaste of Tolkien Elves
>>
>>51930289
Dwarves usually have extreme familial bonds, long lives, obsessive dispositions, live in very atypical for human enviorments, may or may not have a fundamental relationship with stone and the earth and may or may not have abnormal manners of producing young.
They are a significant departure from humans if executed well, but are still human enough to be empathized with, which is the recipe for their enduring popularity
>>
>>51930358
You know what was meant
>>
>>51930434
Sure, but they are also everything I listed in pretty much every major depiction. (also extreme familial bonds is something humans do to, especially jewish families in popular culture, e.g. overbearing jewish mother trope)

And in every major depiction they've been very human in culture and form. OP is just being an idiot and troll who doesn't understand the basis for literally every fuckign race and their culture since we started making them up to play pretend.
>>
>>51929677
Examples?I've never witnessed human being interesting,they're always the default race. It's getting so absurd that sometimes their description and culture is skiped entirely, along with "the thing" that suppose to make them unique .
>>
>>51930577
Having influences from human culture isn't the complaint, it's lazily playing culture + species = look how original my setting is, my dwarves are japanese xD
You can always flanderize a fantasy people to "like x ys" even if they're very original, you can call dunmer "ancient middle eastern drow" the problem only comes up when the authors also think of them like that.

Of course dwarves have influences from human cultures but a well executed iteration of dwarves has a culture hugely influenced by not just human ones, but also by their unique environment, bodies, and priorities. They aren't merely a two dimentional "Vikings who are short and live underground" they are a holistic amalgam of many human cultures, fully fabricated elements and their enviorments, which makes them in treating to play pretend with, because they give a reason to want to play instead of humans.
>>51930597
You are probably unironically autistic if you have never been interested in humans in a fantasy world
>>
Ripping off real-world cultures for your world-building is a time-honored tradition dating back to Howard, plebian.
>>
File: Projecting.jpg (29KB, 490x333px) Image search: [Google]
Projecting.jpg
29KB, 490x333px
>>51930866
>>
>>51930238
>cossak elves
Elf slav, what do?
>>
>>51930065
My first setting was similar, but gnomes were mayans, goblins aztecs, orcs comanche, and drow conquistadors. Crazy murder worship goblins are the best.
>>
>>51930951
Fuck Chechnya.
>>
File: schlomo goblinszon.png (198KB, 526x503px) Image search: [Google]
schlomo goblinszon.png
198KB, 526x503px
>>51928222
That's what goblins are for.
>>
>>51930893
Stealing the best bits for yourself =/= copypasting
>>51930934
Great post
>>
>>51930951
Dunmer are very Slavic.
>fucked up climate
>raped everyone in war, but succumbed quickly to cultural imperialism
>extreme supremacy complex
>xenophobia
>all look same but have dozens of special snowflake cultures that hate each other
>>
>>51930358
You'd be hard pressed to find a mythology that doesn't have analogues to elves, dwarfs and trolls.
>>
>>51931032
nice post
not
>>
My Orcs have no capacity for negative emotions other than anger. No sadness, no grief, no fear, no trauma, just rage, and they love to be angry.

So in a way they're the most happy and blissful race
>>
>>51931130
...no? They're the angriest race.
>>
>>51931130
I'm sorry but this makes no sense. Anger is a negative emotion that motivates you to act fast to end it as quickly as possible. If you love it then it's no longer anger.
>>
I think anons are misinterpreting the op as being anti real world influence when it was meant to be anti lazy "subvsersions" of standard fantasy races done for the sole goal of being "original"
>>
>>51928178
For the first one, I would argue that if you do this by fusing (fantasy race) stereotypes that are unique to them with the (earth culture) instead of going (race appearance) + (earth culture) it might actually be interesting.

I agree with the other two though.
>>
>>51931212
So a mix of domination and wrath?
>>
>>51931079
Christian mythology maybe?
>>
>>51931212
I would say you can enjoy anger, anger is a very broad scope of emotions. I would call what you're describing is wrath, but the excitement and emotional energy of being angry can be exhilerating in a pleaent way
>>
File: 1124545266.gif (2MB, 316x213px) Image search: [Google]
1124545266.gif
2MB, 316x213px
>>51928178
>>my (fantasy race) are like normal (fantasy race) except they are (earth culture)
I had a GM that did that, but with space. Every single faction and planet was "X but in SPACE!" to the point that space exploration became ridiculously boring.
>>
>>51928178
My elves and orcs have gone through so many re-writes they're not even elves and orcs anymore. Turns out if you want green people who raid trade posts and cut the ears off of captives, you can just make them a culture of nomadic humans whose brown skin looks "green" because they have a shit load of tattoos.
>>
>>51931332
>angels = elves
>lesser demons = dwarves
>greater demons = orcs
>>
>>51931344
So you played a game of Star Trek.
>>
>>51930289
No they are crocodile- like beavers that ambush children in the water and eat then whole. Just ask the Welsh.
>>
>>51931417
That's quite a bit of a stretch.
>>
>>51931442
I have very long arms.
>>
>>51930289
they're actually small, insanely spiteful hillbillies with bullshit wish-based magic powers and a habit of getting their beards stuck in shrubbery.

source: German fairytales
>>
>>51928178
Are these the new
>vampyre
>faerie
>sandwyche
threads?
>>
File: 1475445191873.png (59KB, 174x200px) Image search: [Google]
1475445191873.png
59KB, 174x200px
>when people think good world building means inventing new words for already existing ones, and using their own special names instead of standard ones (sh-trae = potato, alsiel = amphibian, akut = death, etc.) whenever possible
>the fictional language also belongs to humans so there's literally no point to it existing other than being meaningless fluff meant to hide how generic the setting actually is
>>
>>51931528
I'd be intrigued by a setting that uses a special word for potato.
>>
File: gnomes01.jpg (177KB, 1172x768px) Image search: [Google]
gnomes01.jpg
177KB, 1172x768px
>>51931436
>>51931481
Ah yes, the afanc. A creature only barely able to be called a dwarf considering it shares next to nothing with them except being described a couple times as a short person but is much more commonly regarded as a monstrous beaver with supernatural powers. It's basically just a beaver version of a kappa or evil water spirit.

The german fairy tale dwarves are what is now known as gnomes, please see pic attached. They are far too short in their descriptions to fit the common size attributed to modern conceptions of dwarves. In fact I do believe that's quite literally the inspiration for this particular book.

In addition, you should have been able to easily understand that I was talking about their form as it is in very commonly conceived in RPGs as that is literally the fuckign topic we are talking aobut.
>>
>>51932020
theyre literally called dwarves, not gnomes. gnomes arent a thing here
>>
>>51932020
>Tolkien wrote RPGs

Intriguing.
>>
>>51928263
learn the difference between fanfiction and world building
>>
>>51932051
Yes, I know. But their description is quite literally that of gnomes. Im sorry, but in the rest of the modern interent, your dwarves are just tiny little earth people with large hats called gnomes.

>>51932066
No (and you know this), but his conception of them is the broad foundation for them in modern media and especially RPGs.
>>
>>51932071
My world is a non-euclidian rotational plum shape populated by liquid methane beings of unknowable sizes. Is that original enough for you?

>>51932119
>Amerilard raised on diluted pop culture thinks he can lecture anyone

how bout you get yourself a culture first
>>
>>51931033
Actually they're jews with japanese and mongol features mixed with Dune, Nausicaa, catholic church, Assyrian names and Aleister Crowley. You haven't read enough about their culture if you see anything slavic there.
>>
File: 5a9.jpg (76KB, 423x287px) Image search: [Google]
5a9.jpg
76KB, 423x287px
>having non-human races
>>
>>51932162
So it's the Earth, but populated by liquid methane beings.
>>
>>51932205
>calling dunmer jews
skyrim babby spotted
>>
>>51932330
The Earth is one planet of many in a world.
>>
>>51932205
No offense but trying to pin a real life culture on a fantasy race, and failing horribly, is kind of cringy.

Neck yourself, n'wah.
>>
>>51928263
>I'm too devoid of creativity to actually develop cultures
Yep Elf vikings is totally creative and interesting and not a stupid idea that sounds like you just use a word generator to combine a culture with a race at random.
>Chinese Dwarves
>Viking Elves
>Indian Orcs
Taking parts from a culture purposely or inadvertently is fine but you should develop cultures so that they stand out.
>>
>>51930004
I agree wholly. Cultural differences are for cultures. I want my "races" (really species) physiologically different in a way that adds things to their cultures which do not exist in human cultures.
>>
>>51932357
Actually they're jews already in Morrowind. Exodus, roman occupation of judea etc. Tons of similarities.

Still they're also Japs in their ancestor worship and Ashlanders are mongols like said.
>>
>>51928178
>my (fantasy race) are like normal (fantasy race) except they are (earth culture)
This is vastly preferable to "my (fantasy race) are like normal (fantasy race) except they have absolutely zero depth whatsoever."

Stealing from real life cultures might not bring anything new into the world, but at least any real culture will have plenty of intereting aspects that give some flavour to your setting. Even if it as lazy as stealing an aesethic it's better than "well my dwarves are like Gimli and they like beer."
>>
Any recommendations on how to create cultures? It's easy enough to make a broad statement like 'they're warrior-priests' or 'they REALLY like to make new ways to murder people' but making up something to go along with that is a little more difficult.
>>
>>51928178
>having races at all to begin with
Fantasy worlds are cooler when everyone is there own thing
>>
>>51932790
start with the Greeks
>>
>>51928178
OP, show us your fantasy then.
Show us you can do it better.
>>
In my oriental 5e world I made elves kitsune and gnomes into tanuki, is that okay OP?
>>
File: fortressmap2.png (109KB, 1536x2304px) Image search: [Google]
fortressmap2.png
109KB, 1536x2304px
>>5193266
I disagree, standard races are played out but are solid, and you can focus on the story or interactions between them without encumberance and you can get immersed once more into the familiar comfy world of standard fantasy. All the legwork is done for you.
When they have lazily nicked human cultures painted over them it becomes difficult to get into it because of how deeply forced it feels.
>>
>>51932790
Start with generic Hunter gatherer animists, consider the details of their environment and go from there, just keep thinking of specifics and adding them up to something more robust.
Musical instruments and styles, agricultural opprotnuities, domesticated animals, natural barriers forming indpendent kingdoms or large flat area forming empire, the reality of any gods or monsters nearby, what materials are available to them for housing and clothing, what medium they use for art and writing to determine artistic sensibilities, ect ect. Culture starts as a reaction to environment and becomes tradition over time.
>>
File: 1403136427955.jpg (502KB, 996x2372px) Image search: [Google]
1403136427955.jpg
502KB, 996x2372px
>>51930004
>>51932563
This.
Cultural differences of different races should always be influenced by their physical differences.
Always.
Otherwise make them human.

>>51932790
>Any recommendations on how to create cultures?
Figure out what you want to be a strong feature of that culture and ask yourself what would cause that to happen.
And then ask what other things needed to be in place an order for that cause to happen.
Then ask yourself how that feature would interact with other aspects of daily life.
Then ask more questions.
Make it make sense and be internally consistent.
>>
>>51932790
My advice is always to look at beautiful enviroment, and imagine what kind of cultures would flourish there. A hard land means a practical culture.
>>
>>51930597
The protagonist in 99% of fantasy literature is a human, from a human culture, and there are plenty interesting ones.

A lot of sweeping generalizations made by people on this board about fantasy, role-playing or whatever, makes it very clear that they have very little experience of it, beyond their favourite system.
>>
File: image.png (734KB, 994x637px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
734KB, 994x637px
>>51928178
>his races have just one culture
>his setting doesn't have each race have a multitude of culture
The only reason to have a race=culture is if your setting takes place on an extremely small scale. On any scale larger than a single country, race=culture is just shit writing, and your a faggot if you do it.
>>
What are some less common medieval folkloric races that could make decent player characters?

I think wildmen would work well.
>>
File: Kappa14.jpg (36KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
Kappa14.jpg
36KB, 300x400px
>>51934717
Does it have to be medieval Europe?
>>
>>51934717
Kikimora and other spirits with a role similar to elves
Merrow could be pretty easy.
The fifty billion varieties of gnome and elf and faeries to add variety to existing ones
>>
>>51932790
I steal real culture and only change few thing.
Like not!Celts with tribal masks and war bears.
Or not!Vietnamese that tame tigers, leopards and lions as beast of burdens and have cat themed warriors.
Instead of the generic not!French feudal monarchy, I go with major merchant families as open feuding rulers.
>>
>>51935348
>domesticating solitary predators
Really gets my noggin joggin
>>
>>51930597
Not that anon, but the setting the pic is from has pretty interesting humans.

>"born" fully formed with ink smeared on their eyes on a plane where the ground is made of stone faces
>awakened by screams of other humans dying horribly and have to immediately fight for their lives
>slowly have to develop their own culture and learn everything from language to where babies come from
>carve out a small civilization in a sunless world, with ever fading lanterns, surrounded on all sides by unimaginable horror.
>>
>>51935477
magic
also tame isn't domesticated.
>>
I want to include dwarfs but I don't want them to be Tolkien style dwarfs. No axe fixation, beards are optional and no special aversion to elves, among other things. Will people complain?
>>
>>51935892
Depends.
How are they different other than just the beard/ax/no elf hate thing?
>>
>>51931236
This.
You can, say, model your elven kingdom after the South during Reconstruction, where High Elves are Whites, Wood Elves are Blacks, and Drow are Appalachian hillbillies, but don't act like that's "never been done before" or is "a better way of explaining why they're the way they are". Take real world inspiration and actually build on top of it.
>>
>>51931332
Elves = Man if they never fell from Grace
Dwarves = The Jewish Diaspora
Trolls = Pagans

Whoops, that's Tolkien.
>>
>>51931528
I remember playing with someone who got INCREDIBLY angry when he found out that we used French, German, and Italian for stand-ins for Elvish, Dwarven, and Draconic respectively.

Apparently, that wasn't "faithful" enough to the spirit of the game.
>>
>>51935892
If you depart too greatly from what is "dwarf" stop calling them "dwarf" lest you look like a cunt
>>
>>51936113
Hes right, you should have used Celtic for elves, Hebrew for dwarves and (draconic screetching) for dragons
>>
File: 1474411952650.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1474411952650.gif
2MB, 500x500px
>>51936137
>(draconic screetching)
So Spanish?
>>
>>51936114
What is "dwarf" in your view?
>>
>>51928178
You guys know what sounds fun?
-sky dwarves-
>>
>>51928178
>my elves are like normal elves except they are elvish
am i doing this right?
>>
>>51936137
While that would have been "source" accurate, they were our stand-ins because we were global studies majors and those were the languages that we knew.

He was more angry that we didn't devote ourselves to learning "actual" Elvish, Dwarvish, and Draconic. He thought we were metagaming against him when the two people playing elves started talking in confused French when he made some elegant introduction to his character in Elvish.
>>
>>51936217
That does sound neat.
>>
>>51936217
already a thing in AoS. comming end of March.
>>
>>51936281
Say what.
>>
>>51935940
I've tried to base them on other depictions of dwarfs in folklore. So while they're still miners and craftsmen with subterranean dwellings, they are not great warriors owing to their small stature and have to compensate by using stealth, ranged weaponry and magic.
>>
File: maroo sketchy.jpg (20KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
maroo sketchy.jpg
20KB, 256x256px
I made a single race for my D&D 5e campaign
>based on wildcats/pallas cats
>short, stout and with thick furcoats to survive cold climates.
>mostly work as merchants, selling stuff they find in the mountains, and also as guides for treasure hunters/caravans
>very good at identifying valuables
>have burrowing speed because they may or may not have their origins tied to earth elemental creatures
>>
File: descarga.jpg (13KB, 200x188px) Image search: [Google]
descarga.jpg
13KB, 200x188px
>>51934717
Blemmyes!
>>
>>51936191
I would say of all the race Tolkien made try dwarves stuck the hardest with the stricktest stereotype
Neccesary traits
Dwarves without these are not dwarves
>short
>some degree of subterranean living
>lawfull disposition
Important traits
These are traits that while assumed are not absolutely essential, but removal of more than a few is dangeorus, a dwarf with none of these traits is not much of dwarf
>good craftsmen
>bearded
>stout of heart
>ancestor worship
>long lived
>northern European aesthetic influences
>in decline
>human skin tones
>fond of drink
>strict honor code
>look down on other races
>rune magic
Optional traits
These are dwarfish traits but are not deeply rooted. Can be changed without much issue
>connection with the earth
>society organized into federated city states and family units
>unhealthy love of precious metals
>obsessive behavior
>appreciation for revenge
>distaste for elves
>distaste for other subterranean races
>industrial
>on relatively friendly terms with humans
>more intelligent than humans
>unbalanced genders
>militaristic
>>
File: huig002wegn01ill04.gif (107KB, 357x483px) Image search: [Google]
huig002wegn01ill04.gif
107KB, 357x483px
>>51936865
Might be cool.
>>
>>51928178
Honestly if you want to make a novel character, taking a established idea and removing something essential is a good starting point before you fluff them out.

Like if you take elves, make them live in a wasteland, figure out how society adapts on that, you get a sortof raiding archery band desperate to bring back their fallen oasis. Like a sortof fantasy mad max thing.

Which isn't brag worthy but its something that can take up a few sessions without trouble.
>>
>>51929677
I get the impression that this is a hack thing to do, but if I cant make my races interesting, I make them mysterious. Like my elves tend to be like The Greys. In my setting people know they exist but they don't have any concrete info on them.

How's that for making something interesting?
>>
>>51930004
Well pointless unless your players want to be a dwarf.

Though you can just make a human with dwarf crunch I guess.

But given one of my characters specifically needed to be a elf beyond a cultural reason. Specifically because she was a slave kept by a human archmage to teach his descendents his vast knowledge. She couldn't go against his will thanks to slave pact magic and using a devil familliar as such a repository was pointless cause that is asking for trouble.
>>
File: anthropophagus.jpg (187KB, 634x917px) Image search: [Google]
anthropophagus.jpg
187KB, 634x917px
>>51936939
yesss
>>
File: 009.jpg (53KB, 510x650px) Image search: [Google]
009.jpg
53KB, 510x650px
>>51936865
>>51936939
>Race of nomadic warriors living in a harsh grassland
>Have learned to focus all their energy into making their bodies incredibly flexible so they can expend as little energy as possible
>Because of this, they have fantastic reach
>They don't believe in fisticuffs, as a broken hand or arm means the inability to farm or hunt
>They only fight using an ornate fighting style that focuses on using their feet and legs
>They also wear ceremonial face paint
>>
>>51936217
Strike the heavens!
>>
>>51937144
nice
>>
File: 27513513640_af4414df91_b.jpg (351KB, 655x1024px) Image search: [Google]
27513513640_af4414df91_b.jpg
351KB, 655x1024px
>mfw plebs make non humans literally for no other reason than looks
Reeee
>>
>>51938903
>not wanting elf bitches with fat tits

Plebian.
>>
>>51933529
>A lot of sweeping generalizations made by people on this board about fantasy, role-playing or whatever, makes it very clear that they have very little experience of it, beyond their favourite system.
>very little experience of it
By "it", did you mean "human culture"?
If so, I can see it.
>>
>>51936909
Push the limits of dwarfhood
>>
>>51936909
>lawfull disposition
You have not been hanging out with the right dwarves.
Otherwise seems spot on.
>>
>>51937024
This is how I handle my elves too.
Elves are reclusive, not "fading".
They have no interest in other peoples, but know enough to fear and protect themselves.
If an elf does discover an interest in other people?
That sounds like a PC.
>>
>>51940340
savage cave men midgets aren't really dwarves.
Certain exceptions might be lawless, but as a whole dwarf society should be more orderly than most.
>>
This is your third thread today. Please stop, if you want to get angry at someone go punch a homeless guy in the street.
>>
mine are just what they are, it is the characters that build the world not the races, they're just there because they have to be something.
>>
>>51931212

That seems like a very reductive way to look at it. Emotions are more complex than that.

I know people who enjoy being angry. Not like "hell yeah i'm pissed off" but clearly reveling in the negative feelings, intentionally (though maybe not entirely consciously) doing things to make it worse, dwelling on it constantly and perpetuating it. You've never seen anyone who does that?

But that's not completely what I mean here.

I was typing on a phone and didn't have much time to flesh out what I was talking about. The emotions I'm describing don't match up completely cause they're not humans and don't have human emotions (they're also not actually orcs)

They get emotional satisfaction from anger and hate, and destroying things they hate. They have a variety of nuanced "sub-hatreds" the way people say eskimos have a hundred names for snow. The jealousy and anger you feel for somebody better than you is its own emotion, as is contempt for somebody weaker than you. Hatred for other species is its own thing.

Their closest analogue to romantic love is hating someone so much your entire world revolves around them, and the closest they come to genuine sadness and grief is when they finally kill that someone and now they don't know what to do with their lives.

----------

And to clarify, they can still feel regular happiness, and can still like each other and enjoy things, it's just that the entire "negative" spectrum of emotion is hate. They don't get sad, they get mad. They don't get depressed. They're never traumatized by violence or terrible acts. They're completely numb to large parts of the emotional spectrum, and intensely sensitive to other parts.
>>
>>51928178
>strawman
>strawman
>strawman

Why do you keep making these exact same threads? For (You)s? You're not stating a new opinion. Everyone on this board already agrees with the shitty 'hur dur only execution matters' meme anyway, so who are you trying to bait here?
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-02-27-23-40-40.png (561KB, 615x400px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-02-27-23-40-40.png
561KB, 615x400px
>>51940405
>dwarf society should be more orderly than most.
Depends entirely on the society.
>>
File: 1364844749145.jpg (47KB, 449x642px) Image search: [Google]
1364844749145.jpg
47KB, 449x642px
>>51940886
>>51940426
>everyone I dont like is one person
>>
>>51928178
If fantasywriter knew how to be original they'd be sci-fi writers.
>>
>my (fantasy race) is different because they are like (foreign culture) but what if it took place in (area nowhere near foreign culture)

The last one I could remember was "what if Mayans were in china instead of Mongolians" and just completely ignored the logistics of why that is retarded
>>
>>51932822
Gamma World is fantasy?
>>
>>51937144
Huh.
Can we just make a setting where all the races are basically human shaped pokemon given fantasy roles? LIke Alakazam is a race of secretive psionics, Machoke are some roided up monk race that worship sleeping giants buried in montains, and Electabuzz are ogre men created by the god of storms?
>>
>>51928178

>someone used my cropped image as a thread starter

Either you part of my Fantasy Age group Which would be funny or it's just a very big coincidence.
>>
>>51930065
That sounds amazing
>>
>>51932357
Their cities are all named in Hebrew.
>>
I'm thinking of having a clan of dwarves that have an underwater keep in the ocean for my world. Would it still make sense to call them sea fareing dwarves?
>>
When guiding my little brother through the steps of creating a setting for his games, I made a point of letting him envision races independently based on whatever he's read or watched before, rather than providing any rulebooks. He's read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, for example, but not The Player's Handbook.

Observations from an innocent:

>Elves aren't even considered as player characters, they're purely NPC material.
>Humans are the "physically strong" race.
>Dwarfs are roguish cunning types.
>Gnomes are tiny (like a human thumb tiny), highly intelligent..
>Werewolves aren't shapeshifters, just anthropomorphic wolves. They're evil, greedy and deceptive.
>Magicians are a separate race.
>The ghosts of ancient peoples are always an issue.
>Heavenly giants were the first sentient creatures, built crystalline tombs filled with treasure to steal.
>>
>>51943886
Also satyrs are peaceful goatherds (they pipe for the goats), and don't rape anyone. Not sure if that's from Narnia or because he's too young to be excited by rape, because he does know the mythological origins and just didn't feel like using them.
>>
File: 1488235120125.jpg (72KB, 684x822px) Image search: [Google]
1488235120125.jpg
72KB, 684x822px
>>51928178
>tfw my shit fits all three of those descriptions and is 100% guaranteed to be superior to anything OP has ever produced because he's too stupid to crop a hi-res image

Wew lad.
>>
File: Rhino guards disney.jpg (54KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
Rhino guards disney.jpg
54KB, 1000x563px
My setting has three races. Humans, Elves, and Beastmen.

Rate me.
>>
>>51935477
You've never heard of a cat before, have you?
>>
>>51943886
>Magicians are a separate race
>Elves can only be NPCs

Wouldn't your mage race functionally just be the elves of the player classes instead?

Like, I like the idea of elves being NPCs if its something like "Elves are just the form powerful fey take when they have to lower themselves to communicating with things in the mundane world", but then having a race that fills the role that elves typically fill (race whose whole thing is magic) makes it looks like you have Super Elves and Discount Elves.
>>
>>51945035
There weren't player magicians, either. In his first game, PCs just didn't have access to magic, afterwards there was a small spell list everyone could get access to (but which gnomes were best at due to their intelligence bonus).

Also dwarfs can tunnel at walking speed, which I pointed out to my brother sounds physically dubious and he consented is probably a form of dwarf magic.
>>
File: stp.jpg (277KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
stp.jpg
277KB, 600x900px
>>51928178
>muh originality

stop being an unique snowflake OP, it's embarrassing
>>
>>51943886
That's pretty cool. What does he think of other creatures?
>>
>>51928178
>My setting has (fantasy race)
There are only two valid reasons for including pre-existing fantasy races.
1. It's supposed to be a pre-existing setting, or a parody thereof.
2. It's supposed to be some sort of fantasy kitchen sink.
If you're making your own serious setting there's absolutely no reason to include "elves" or "dwarves".
>>
>>51945718
>people who don't understand what the tolkien fantasy mythology is or is useful for
>>
>>51944701
>>51943428
your fantasy is just bad and boring anon, use an existing setting or start trying
>>
>>51944806
8/10
If your races exceed 5 or 6 it's time to stop, small numbers are optimal, and these are all potentially quite different in character
>>
>>51948022
Let's see...

>Humans, dwarves, elves, ogres, neanderthals, beastmen (pig orcs, minotaurs, lizardmen, walrus people)
I may or may not be fucked, depending on whether you count the beastmen as one bloc or not because they're all aligned in purpose and belief.
>>
>>51945352
Stop posting pictures of me, it's embarrassing.
>>
File: stop.jpg (41KB, 960x904px) Image search: [Google]
stop.jpg
41KB, 960x904px
>>51948838

stop replying to (You)rself
>>
>>51948829
If you portray the beastmen as different ethnicities, it could work.
Do you need Neanderthals humans and ogres?
Do you need Neanderthals and beastmen?
I think you should collapse overlapping races if plausible
>>
>>51949124
>If you portray the beastmen as different ethnicities, it could work
They kind of are.

>>51949124
>Do you need Neanderthals humans and ogres?
Yes. Neanderthals are from an island on the other side of an ice sheet while ogres are from the far eastern shore.
>Do you need Neanderthals and beastmen?

>>51949124
>I think you should collapse overlapping races if plausible
They don't really overlap though. Well, except the beastmen, but their thing is they were brought into the world by evil gods wanted to destroy all life.
>>
>>51949334
>Neanderthals are from an island on the other side of an ice sheet while ogres are from the far eastern shore.
Not that anon but if the primary reason you are designing a separate race is due to geographical location, then you are doing it wrong.
But you know your setting better than I and it's possible that you are not falling into the race equals culture trap.

>>51948022
>If your races exceed 5 or 6 it's time to stop, small numbers are optimal, and these are all potentially quite different in character
This is right.
I can incorporate pretty much any race into my setting because I like to be inclusive however there are only six to eight races with known cultures in my setting: humans, elves, dwarves, gremlins, kobolds, dragonkin, lizard-folk, and my not-orcs beastmen.
Most of those aren't offered as a PC race and the players may never encounter them all.

I tried to include every race I could think of into the world, but it's the difference between having a minotaur you can encounter and a race of Tauren you can play as.

>fantasy kitchen sink
Kinda
>>
>>51930238
Hi man. See you on Friday. Still love your viking-Persian-pirate-sky ship using elves btw.
>>
File: vMcCC.jpg (88KB, 960x754px) Image search: [Google]
vMcCC.jpg
88KB, 960x754px
>Dwarves gain new mutation
>Durable neck, bones, and skull growth
>Skull growth appear as crests or horns
>Different style of cryst for different clans
>Crests are strong enough to break stone
>Used for mining, combat, and attracting mate
>Dwarf leaders have biggest, strongest crests

Just imaging Dwarves headbutting their enemies into a bloody-pulp seems hilarious. Fucking dumb but hilarious.
>>
>>51936909
You seem to have mixed up "Optional" and "Important," but besides that, it's a good list.
>>
>>51928178
You forgot
>>51928178
>my (fantasy race) are like normal (fantasy race) except they are (number of differences which make them completely unlike any incarnation of [fantasy race] to such an extent that they really should just be called something else)

Psychic crystalline gopher robots aren't dwarves and arboreal acid-farting octopi aren't elves. If dislike dwarves and elves just remove them from your setting instead of being dumb.
>>
>>51929677
>this has made me feel like human is the best race

Best race is Monsters.
>>
>>51953412
>>this has made me feel like human is the best race
>Best race is Monsters.
>implying humans aren't monsters
>>
>>51954895
Unless he was implying that humans ARE monsters.
>>
File: great stuff.jpg (12KB, 204x231px) Image search: [Google]
great stuff.jpg
12KB, 204x231px
>>51948829
>beastmen (pig orcs, minotaurs, lizardmen, walrus people)
Good taste in animal people.
>>
>>51955244
>walrus people
>no goat men
.good taste
>>
>Dwarves
Their actually giants. But as the first race they could only compare themselves to the mountains and the trees.
>>
>>51928178
In my setting dwarves are great mariners instead of miners. But I feel like this fits with them thematically since they're always on the lookout for plunder and previously unknown treasures, they're just looking in a different place
>>
>>51955010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4RuB3gT8t0
>>
when I first saw this thread in the catalog I thought the OP pic was a naked man being impaled by some kind of large metal object. unfocus your vision and look at that dwarf face, you'll see it
>>
>>51956473
Pretty sure you're just gay.
>>
>>51930023
>Not having weeaboo elves who's women actively use magic to keep themselves looking young because lolis are the most desireable of women
>Not having Nazi orcs who hunt down the pointy nosed Goblins who no one cares about until the Orcs accidentally a World War
>No russian Dwarves who use magical ammunition as currency to recreate Metro 2033
>No trolls of the same caliber as that new movie that just came out with Anna Kendrick to supply drugs to the rest of your races
It's like you aren't even trying to keep your setting interesting, Anon
>>
>>51928222
market-dominant minorities are not just a /pol/ stereotype.
>>
>>51957648
>semi-original idea
>rip-off of history
>rip-off of video game
>rip-off of movie
Yeah, very interesting. Throw in a JoJo reference and you're golden.
>>
>>51957817
>Not having humans who are universally bodybuilders and can succ life from other races by touching
>>
>>51956473
I see it too. It went up the ass and out the stomach and he's kind of hanging back. The dwarf's nose is the guy's dick.
>>
>>51930004
Seconding (thirding, fourthing) this. I have no idea why fantasy is so bad at making distinct sapient beings when scifi (or fucking folklore) does it so well.
Maybe the key is making them extraterrestrial or otherworldly, the "extraplanar" beings are usually quite alien.
>>
>>51935892
I was under the impression that beards and being angry about Elves were part of being a Dwarf.

No axes is alright. They're shit weapons for fighting underground anyway.
>>
>>51945035
Given that one of his inspirations is Tolkien I'm guessing he imagines them as very special and quite removed from mankind, closer to elves in most things despite looking physically human.
>>
>>51928178

Stop making shit threads you fucking pleb.
>>
>>51958868
bad world builder detected
>>
Much like a lizard folk, but of wider body and more stubby limbs, and much more powerful and large jaws, increased sneaking and swimming abilities, as well as disguise, also fierce to a fault, will consume npcs as free action.
>>
>>51930023
I don't know man, both Mongolian orcs and Viking elves seems like it should work pretty well.
>>
File: what elves are made for.png (582KB, 1117x807px) Image search: [Google]
what elves are made for.png
582KB, 1117x807px
>>51928178
>make a setting with completely made-up, homebrew races with inhuman cultures and motives
>''it's too weird, no one likes that''
>make a lukewarm, run-of-the-mill fantasy setting with dragons and demons and wizards and cheesecake with ever so slight tweaks for pretentious originality
>''Oh wow it's like so kewl and works so well''

Why bother OP, why?
>>
>>51935477
People have actually tamed bears man
Both historically and recently
>>
>It's a redditors getting butthurt episode

Guess what? Subverting a trope =/= good writing
>>
>>51959559
Novelty plus Familiarity equals interest.
>>
>>51933196
wow that anon killed it.

Are there anymore like this?
>>
>>51960615
Nah, well one snippet about Bump Trolls:
>Truly one of the laziest of trolls, the Bump Troll seeks sustenance by imitating the actions of misguided younglings who have yet to learn the rules of the pack.
>Younglings often repeat requests too quickly, sometimes incurring the wrath of less patient members of the pack.
>The Bump Troll, as all trolls do, feeds upon the ire of those it provokes.
>It seeks to provoke anger by imitating a request as if it were impatiently repeating it.
>Unfortunately for the Bump Troll, the wild flailing is often exaggerated and the ruse is revealed quickly by the imitated.
>In such calm environs, the Bump Troll is likely to starve, forcing it to move on and adopt different feeding methods.
-Excerpt of The Feeding Habits of Trolls by Nativea Godgraced

Pretty sure the same guy did some other writings, but not quite like this and not quite as good.
Here's one I found by searching the archive for the image:
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/37163071/#37163071
>>
File: 1379096351196.jpg (299KB, 727x627px) Image search: [Google]
1379096351196.jpg
299KB, 727x627px
http://www.frathwiki.com/Dr._Zahir%27s_Ethnographical_Questionnaire
>>
>only using one real world culture as your inspiration for your cultures
>having only one culture per race

Actual garbage worldbuilding.
>>
>>51932162
>ad hominem

>>51932790
Get doctorates in linguistics, anthropology, agriculture, geography, geology, meteorology, and theology.
>>
>>51932501

Dude, all fictional cultures are composed of real life cultural context. Look harder. They use frickin katanas for god's sake. And their ruins all sound Hebrew.
>>
>>51945718
No.
>>
>>51961813
Not that anon, but do you have another valid reason?
Beyond variations of pic related of course, which is fine enough in practice, but hardly a supportive reason.
Honestly interested in discussion with anons capable of posting without pointless anger.
>>
>>51933529
>The protagonist in 99% of fantasy literature is a human, from a human culture, and there are plenty interesting ones.
How is that a proof for humans "interestingness"?If anything, it just proofs that "their description is skiped entirely", because heroes have a tendency to adventure far away from human culture ,so novel spends its entire time exposing foreign cultures ,like dwarfs or elves. You get one description of one human city at best and it's always a copypasta straight from history schoolbook.
>A lot of sweeping generalizations made by people on this board about fantasy, role-playing or whatever, makes it very clear that they have very little experience of it, beyond their favourite system
Hello,pot.
>>
File: 1462621593972s.jpg (6KB, 250x224px) Image search: [Google]
1462621593972s.jpg
6KB, 250x224px
>>51946226
>people who don't understand what the tolkien fantasy mythology is or is useful for
If you have an original setting
there's no reason for
a)objective evil
b)angry barbarian horde
c)workaholic/xenophobic race
d)magical/pure race
e)etc.
>>
>>51963874
>If you have an original setting there's no reason for...
Unless there is.
Your lack of imagination, or particular taste, is not indicative of an absolute nature of original settings.
>>
>>51964109
>Your lack of imagination
> imagination=copypasting
wew
>or particular taste, is not indicative of an absolute nature of original settings
Original setting implies your individual approach at worldbuilding.Now ,tell me reason for angry mob of barbarians to exist,besides "players level trampoline".
>>
>>51963822
>How is that a proof for humans "interestingness"?
Most fantasy literature, therefore most interesting fantasy literature, has human main characters who, as main characters of interesting literature, must therefore be interesting.
These characters are therefore both interesting and human and therefore proof for humans "interestingness".
Let me know if you have any other Connect-the-Dots puzzles you need an adult's help with.
>>
>>51964182
>literally the only reason for an angry mob of barbarians to exist, ever, is "players level trampoline"
This is what I meant as a lack of imagination.
Just because you can't imagine it, doesn't make it impossible to exist.
>>
>>51964189
Now that is some classy shitposting.
>Most fantasy literature, therefore most interesting fantasy literature
>All X is Y ,therefore all Y is X
That's already enough to mark you as a retard,but
>has human main characters who, as main characters of interesting literature, must therefore be interesting.
These characters are therefore both interesting and human and therefore proof for humans "interestingness".
>interestingness of a novel is brought ONLY by main character
>protagonist is a representator of a culture
>FANTASY protagonist is a representation of a culture.
>one character is enough to make a culture interesting
Now bring your "damage_control"war meme picture pack,I want to see you squirm.
>>
>>51964213
>literally the only reason for an angry mob of barbarians to exist, ever, is "players level trampoline"
This is not what I wrote and you know it.Are you distracted by something,senpai?

You still,haven't answered my question ,though.
>>
>>51932066
>>51932051
>>51932020
>>51932119
THEY ARE NOT GNOMES, THEY ARE NOT DWARVES. THEY ARE KABOUTERS GODVERDOMME KANKERLIJERS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>51931871
It's not "potato," doug. it's seed crop, whatever section of the harvest is set aside to be used for planting the following year, exempt from taxes and tithing. It just happened to be potatoes in that one instance. If that farmer grew barley, it would be sacks of barley, not potatoes.
I don't understand why you're having so much trouble understanding this concept. The whole point was, the bandits stole what the farmers needed to grow crops the next year, which is more destructive and sinister than simply taking some shit they were gonna sell at market.
>>
>>51964289
>>Most fantasy literature, therefore most interesting fantasy literature
>>All X is Y ,therefore all Y is X
Try:
>Most of X is Y, therefore most of a subset of X called "interesting" will also be Y.

>>interestingness of a novel is brought ONLY by main character
Try:
>interestingness of a novel is not brought when the main character is uninteresting.

>>protagonist is a representator of a culture
>>FANTASY protagonist is a representation of a culture.
Not necessarily, but often, yes.
Is it not often so? Drizzt notwithstanding.

>>one character is enough to make a culture interesting
Kind of a fair point, but hardly warrants your incredulous reply as they were referring to the majority of all protagonists.
>>
File: IMG_1559.jpg (118KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1559.jpg
118KB, 1024x1024px
>>51928178
That's them saying that so you get a general idea of what they are talking about without interrupting and saying "HURRR SO LIKE X RACE ONLY WITH Y?" It's basically them thinking you, OP, are too dumb to visualize what they are conveying.
>>
>>51964643
t.shit dm
>>
>>51964313
That is exactly what you wrote and you know it. Are you distracted by something, senpai?
Perhaps this will help:
>>51964182
>Now ,tell me reason for angry mob of barbarians to exist,besides "players level trampoline".
This suggests that there isn't one.
Or, more clearly stated (and with proper comma spacing):
>>51964213

>You still,haven't answered my question ,though.
"Never let a scoundrel dictate the rules of honor to you."
-Kurt Wagner
>>
>>51964692
This is a very low quality post
Borderline incoherent and without substance even when deciphered
>>
>>51964732
Your illiteracy seems like a personal issue you should seek help for elsewhere.
>>
>>51964610
>Most of X is Y, therefore most of a subset of X called "interesting" will also be Y.
How much is "most"?
>Try:
>interestingness of a novel is not brought when the main character is uninteresting.
I won't because it would be objectively wrong.
>Not necessarily, but often, yes.
No,they don't. More importantly they have a tendency to lack a character as a whole:considering that majority of adventure fantasy is a one trick genre "aka "through the entire book everyone are walking somewhere" main character has a tendency to fulfill two roles:
a)an observer of his own deeds.
b)relatable personage for the reader.
Why?Because fantasy survives due to the novelty ,majority of tales relies on setting showcase . Main plot exists in those to progress the story by itself ,rather than to be a motivation for the characters.
tl;dr:Main character doesn't represents culture, he doesn't even represents himself;he represents journey's progress.
>Is it not often so? Drizzt notwithstanding.
Drow_autism.txt
> they were referring to the majority of all protagonists
So?
>>
>>51964692
>The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
So what is the reason for angry mob of barbarians to exist?
>You still,haven't answered my question ,though.
>"Never let a scoundrel dictate the rules of honor to you."
If you consider your feelings to be more important than your own reason ,then I won't play by your rules.
~Also
One must only use citations when they suit the case
-Albert Einstein.
>>
>>51948022
Oh.

I have over 50.
>>
>>51951243
This could be sarcasm.

On the other hand it may be Jim.

Either way, the guy you are replying to wasnt actually me.
>>
My dwarves are basically standard dwarves, I just make it explicit that their capacity for metalwork and stonework is supernatural.

My elves are even more stereotypical than normal, because they have magic agriculture, to the point they grow houses out of trees. They rely on magic plants to the point their society is almost biomechanical, but it's still tall skinny people living very well in forests.

My orcs are caballeros. They have magic animal husbandry, and basically make +1 mounts and animal companions. Their violence and need for dominance is subsumed into sports revolving around animal cruelty, like bear-baiting and running of the bulls.

My elves and orcs often fight, but it's usually over territory. Specifically, land the elves want to grow things on and the orcs want to let things graze on.

Am I a pleb with a shit world?
>>
File: whale giant.jpg (353KB, 1036x1188px) Image search: [Google]
whale giant.jpg
353KB, 1036x1188px
>>51962360
Fantasy is about wowing your audience. Tickling their imagination with epic tales far removed from their everyday experience.
Picking elements out of a set of puzzle pieces is antithetical to the very concept of fantasy.
>>
>>51965099
>How much is "most"?
More than half?
Really gotta invest in a dictionary to learn new words, anon.

>I won't because it would be objectively wrong.
That is a bold assertion.
Please cite a number of examples of a novel that is interesting when the main character is uninteresting in order to support your assertion or consider it disregarded.

>No,they don't.
[Citation needed]

>More importantly they have a tendency to lack a character as a whole:considering that majority of adventure fantasy is a bunch generalizations I am making up.
>Why?Because fantasy survives only the way I say.
>tl;dr:Main character represents only one thing, what I say it does.

>Drow_autism.txt
>JokeOverHead.jpg

>So?
The majority of all protagonists is a large number of interesting humans to ignore.
>>
>>51965838
>More than half?
Half of all fcitional fantasy protoganists that you were counting?
>Please cite a number of examples of a novel that is interesting when the main character is uninteresting in order to support your assertion or consider it disregarded.
LotR
Conan after 1934
The Night Land
>[Citation needed]
>More importantly they have a tendency to lack a character as a whole:considering that majority of adventure fantasy is a one trick genre "aka "through the entire book everyone are walking somewhere" main character has a tendency to fulfill two roles:
a)an observer of his own deeds.
b)relatable personage for the reader.
Why?Because fantasy survives due to the novelty ,majority of tales relies on setting showcase . Main plot exists in those to progress the story by itself ,rather than to be a motivation for the characters.
tl;dr:Main character doesn't represents culture, he doesn't even represents himself;he represents journey's progress.

>More importantly they have a tendency to lack a character as a whole:considering that majority of adventure fantasy is a bunch generalizations I am making up.
>Why?Because fantasy survives only the way I say.
>tl;dr:Main character represents only one thing, what I say it
does.
If everything is opinion then why are you arguing?
>The majority of all protagonists is a large number of interesting humans to ignore.
I'm not doubting it. I'm just saying that it doesn't prove that humans are interesting.
>>
>>51966274
Half of all fictional fantasy protagonists that you were counting?*
>>
>>51965275
It's your assertion, and therefore is for you to support, not up to me to disprove with you fabricating mitigating reasons why whatever I say is insufficient despite your assertion being vulnerable to literally any example other than "players level trampoline", but fine.

>So what is the reason for angry mob of barbarians to exist?
As a counterpoint to a more reasonable, civilized society.
Or as a vehicle to express the complex reasons for the cultural unrest that made those barbarians so angry.
Or as a subversion of the "noble savage" trope.
Or as a sign of an unatural force inciting a magical anger in the local wilds, supporting additional themes.
Or because Klingons are awesome.
Or literally any other reason.
>>
>>51966274
I thought not.
>>
>>51965401
>dwarves
implicit in most D&D settings, meh/10

>elves
magic agriculture is old hat but this biomechanical twist piques the interest 5/10

>orcs
Takes the iconic characteristics of the race but adds a nice twist while also providing plot hooks ("I need you goes to capture some rare apes for the next beast-fght"), 7/10

Conclusion: Borderline pleb with an okay world.
>>
>>51966388
>
It wasn't an assertion,it was a question. And considering that you haven't answered it, you're asking me to support an answer I don't have. So,you're either asking me to answer my own question for you,or asking me to prove non existence of counter arguments. If I possess power to do either of those things then what is the point of your opinion?
>As a counterpoint to a more reasonable, civilized society.
Why haven't civilized society anexed or conquered barbarians yet?
>Or as a subversion of the "noble savage" trope.
>Or because Klingons are awesome.
>Klingons
>trope
>original
>Or as a sign of an unatural force inciting a magical anger in the local wilds, supporting additional themes
Why does such force exists and why does it acts in such specific way?
>Or literally any other reason.
>Or as a vehicle to express the complex reasons for the cultural unrest that made those barbarians so angry.
Well,obviously. So,what are those complex reasons that made such horde exists?It was the original question, after all.
>>
>>51966665
>It wasn't an assertion,it was a question.
See
>>51964692
>>Now ,tell me reason for angry mob of barbarians to exist,besides "players level trampoline".
>This suggests that there isn't one.
That would be your assertion that I *did* answer, repeatedly.

>>51966665
>Why haven't civilized society anexed or conquered barbarians yet?
>>original
>Why does such force exists and why does it acts in such specific way?
Irrelevant deflection with any number of answers and an application of new criteria not explicit or implied in the question.
Moving the goalposts.

>>Or as a vehicle to express the complex reasons for the cultural unrest that made those barbarians so angry.
>Well,obviously. So,what are those complex reasons that made such horde exists?It was the original question, after all.
That reason, and some of the others, was more about *why* the writer created an angry mob of barbarians.
An ooc reason, like the "players level trampoline" was an ooc reason.

If you want to dictate that I must provide a detailed and thoroughly explicit "in world" explanation for every level of causation of a fictional angry mob of barbarians that you invented to make a point that I have already refuted, then you are nothing more than a scoundrel trying to dictate the rules of honor.
I think we're done here.

>inb4 a reply saying "But you haven't refuted me!" while ignoring everything else, including the refutation.

Seriously, what is up with your punctuation spacing?
>>
>>51928178

My orcs are Japanese, and are more inventive than warmongering.

Did that trigger you enough?
>>
>>51960244

Not according to OP
>>
>>51967017
>This suggests that there isn't one.
It doesn't. It's a legitimate question that you keep imagining into an assertion.
>Irrelevant deflection with any number of answers and an application of new criteria not explicit or implied in the question.

>If you have an original setting there's no reason for an angry barbarian horde.
>Unless there is.
>So what is the reason for mob to exist at all
>They exist because of X
>Ok,but why they exist
>It's irrelevant

>That reason, and some of the others, was more about *why* the writer created an angry mob of barbarians.
Yep,and you keep giving examples how can he justify their existence in-setting. I know that you can justify them any way you want. But why are they there at all?
>Seriously, what is up with your punctuation spacing?
I simply post what google translator gives.
>>
>>51967284
Because it's not novelty.
>>
>>51967089
>My orcs are Japanese, and are more inventive than warmongering.

So they're not actually Orcs at all. Might as well call them Yams instead of trying to be 2clever with your subverted tropes.
>>
>>51967284
Op here
Familiar bike coated in a different paint is not novel
Familiar bike that has has the pedals removed is not novel
Familiar bike you call a skateboard is not novel
>>
>>51967575
What about familiar bike except it has rockets?
>>
>>51967303
>>If you have an original setting there's no reason for an angry barbarian horde.
>>Unless there is [a reason, not necessarily an "original" reason, because not every aspect of an original setting must be 100% original and some would argue that 100% original is impossible.]
>>So what is the reason for mob to exist at all?
>>They exist because of X [which is important to the setting because of Y]
>>Ok, but why does X exist?
>>It's irrelevant [and I'm not going to chain the causality back to creation.]

>You keep giving examples how can he justify why they exist in-setting.
>But why are they there at all?

>You justify why they exist in-setting [and out of setting, or "ooc"]
>But why are they there at all?

>You justify why they exist
>But why do they exist?

We seem to have some confusion on the meaning of "Why?" here.

Google translate. Fair enough.
>>
>>51964182
Barbarian tribes, pushed back by expansionist nations have banded together into raiders. Pushed towards the civilised world by a riding storm of nomadic warriors, they set forth to raid rape and pillage on their way to safety.
This literally happened in real life
>>
>>51968771
>Barbarian tribes, pushed back by expansionist nations have banded together into raiders. Pushed towards the civilised world by a riding storm of nomadic warriors, they set forth to raid rape and pillage on their way to safety.
>This literally happened in real life
But why do they exist?

j/k
Not that anon.
Just poking fun at him.
Thread posts: 226
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.