[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tg/, I need your help, as I am torn. I want to start up a dungeon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 400px-Dungeonmeshi_01.jpg (38KB, 400x284px) Image search: [Google]
400px-Dungeonmeshi_01.jpg
38KB, 400x284px
/tg/, I need your help, as I am torn. I want to start up a dungeon crawling game to fill in the gaps during my group's main campiagn. On the one hand, I really want to capture the hyper lethality and resource management of a lot of old school games. But on the other hand, I am absolutely in love with the semi-light-hearted tone of Dungeon Meshi, as well as the general slice of life nature of the whole thing. These two things kinda clash though, and I was wondering if there was any way to make them mesh well together? Or should I just mash them together regardless of my thoughts and see if it works?
>>
The manga is kinda about resource management. I don't quite agree that they clash.

Also I'm very much in the same boat as you so I'm very much interested in where this goes.
>>
>>51893822
Dungeon Meshi is very adamant about monsters being crazy dangerous and supply management being important. You effectively just want a game where Chillchack might not feel the wind, or Laius has a chance to miss the dragon's jugular.
>>
>>51893822
The setting of Dungeon Meshi isn't really silly or cozy at all, it's mostly a bunch of harsh dangers and serious worldbuilding. Any jokes about the setting come by through little sidebars, most of the world is a dangerous dark place. The manga's lighthearted slice of life tone mostly comes from Marcille, Chillchack, Laius and Senshi being lovable goofs. That's something the players would need to provide, it's not something you'd be in control over.
>>
>>51893822
Just run a super lethal and hard-management game but plaster happy colours and attitudes on top of that. Sprinkle on some silly encounters and you're good to go.
>>
So as fair as I've seen you have two options when It comes to systems to run a resource management game. You can use Torchbearer (or Burning Wheel) or you can homebrew your own system. Some would say you can do it in a D&D game if you make everyone track food and weight but I think D&D is too detailed when it's not important and not enough when it would be fun. You can add your own rules but at that point you are basically homebrewing anyway.

Personally I think Torchbearer is too much effort to learn, but it does have some great ideas so I'd suggest you try to learn it and if you give up just take what you've learn and apply it to your homebrew rules.
>>
It's worth mentioning that a core tenet of Dungeon Meshi's setting is that resurrection magic is like, reasonably accessible. You just have to be able to drag the corpses back through hostile territory.

A lot of GMs, in trying to make a GRITTY REALISTIC SETTING try to get rid of or vastly reduce the role of Resurrection magic. On the contrary, I actually think they play well together.

The knowledge that killing PCs won't be awkward will liberate you. Suddenly, anything can be lethal. This setting can be utterly, bullshit lethal, and there will no longer be any conscience at the back of your mind holding you back.

New enemy? It introduces itself by tearing the arms off of the rogue. You open a door? Bomb trap.

Now, death is just a complication. And I would argue that that is BETTER for lethality.

They become more afraid for stuff like resources: Even if they get resurrected, they aren't any more well fed than they were when they died. They can't afford to lose any gold, because their wealth is their ticket back to the land of the living if they randomly die. Priorities shift. Suddenly they are more D&D than D&D.
>>
>>51895196
Oh, and hand in hand with this should be stuff like Ryuutama's effects for how well you've eaten and slept. Basically, eat good square meals and sleep in nice beds or you'll be reaping the consequences all day.
>>
>>51893822
see
>>51894077
They dont clash ,there is for example a japanese game that is like that: Ryuutama.

To get the tone light hearted see miyazaki movies, they have wonderfull characters and noble ones. But there is shit and misery around too. The world is "wonderful" and magical.

People can be good or bad, but they are good or bad under some especific "tropes".
>>
I'd suggest having a way of representing the fatigue and stress you get from dungeon crawling, like a stress points or a condition tracker. It will help you create a light hearted resource management game in two ways.
On one way its an extra resource to manage but on the other if you give them points back for doing light hearted things like making nice food or stopping the action for a tea ceremony after a fight. So the players will be encouraged to think about having light hearted vignettes
>>
>>51893822
Castle of Greyhawk?
>>
>>51896654
Explain.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.