[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been asked to run a 5e DND session in two days. I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1487816480787.jpg (39KB, 520x293px) Image search: [Google]
1487816480787.jpg
39KB, 520x293px
I've been asked to run a 5e DND session in two days. I don't have much time to prepare. Is it viable to improv? Any tips? I am pretty inexperienced.
>>
>>51868250
please clarify
>how many players
>what they all want to play
>the general theme of the campaign (ie. fightin cultists or political intrigue)
But in general, have a few hooks, some pre-made maps, and a list of names for throwaway npcs
>>
>>51868250
Prepare the skeleton of what you want to do and improv the details.
>>
>>51868250
https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/Curse%20of%20Strahd%20Introductory%20Adventure.pdf
Here's everything you need.
>>
File: 1486626449810.jpg (47KB, 265x275px) Image search: [Google]
1486626449810.jpg
47KB, 265x275px
Two days is plenty of time.

To start, don't be afraid to use tools. The most obvious one is using premade adventures, where all you need to do is read through them once in order to get ready to run the game. Be sure to ask the 5e general for recommendations if you choose this route, and they also have the PDFs of some published adventures if you don't want to shell out the money for them or to try your luck with a free adventure. One or two hours, and you're good to go.

Another great set of tools is random tables and generators. Aside from the one's already in the 5e Dungeon Master's Guide, you can find a lot of great tools here.
https://donjon.bin.sh/

Personally, I largely just use the random name generators, but even that alone saves me a fair amount of time since I often get stuck on coming up with names. But, they have everything from random towns to random treasure to entire random dungeons (all specifically for 5e), so you can really just click a few times to get a rough skeleton of an adventure, make a few changes wherever you feel them necessary, and you should be in a pretty good position to improvise the rest.
>>
>>51868629
Players range from 3 to 4. Not sure who will be there.
In their game, they run a Fort town. They're just arriving back. I think I just need a scenario.
>>
>>51868912
Thanks. These are great tools.
>>
>>51868912
What are your favorite pre-made adventures?
>>
>>51868832
Doesn't the curse of strahd take a long time to run?
seems like a time investment.
>>
>>51868250
Lost Mines of Phandelver
>>
>>51869402
Yes, and that's why I didn't link Curse of Strahd.
>>
>>51869439
Thanks. I'll take a look at this pdf later. I'm very nervous about this session and I want my players to have fun.
I have experience as a player, at least.
>>
>>51869302
I've honestly not run too many 5e premade adventures, but I've been run through the Hoard of the Dragon Queen and found it passable, and I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Castle Ravenloft. You can find both PDFs here, along with all the rest of the 5e material.

https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

Beyond that, you can always try adapting older adventures from previous editions (like the various Undermountain adventures or classics like White Plume mountain), or from other games altogether. A few anons posted a bunch of One Page Dungeons intended for any system, and they're good for mining for ideas even if most of them are a little too dense for my own liking.

http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/51511091/#51511091
>>
>>51868250
Banjo-kazooie was such a fucking good game.
>>
>>51869402
It's divided up into parts, so you can actually take one of the earlier chapters and run it as a one-shot, rather than running the entire book or trying to tackle the castle at the end in a single night.

The parts preceding the castle are things like haunted towns and exploring the horror-themed wilderness of Ravenloft, and if that's the kind of adventure you're looking for, you don't need to be daunted by thinking you need to run the entire campaign from start to finish.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.