[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone here actually played more sci-fi RPGs than fantasy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: scifivsfantasy.jpg (306KB, 1600x1102px) Image search: [Google]
scifivsfantasy.jpg
306KB, 1600x1102px
Has anyone here actually played more sci-fi RPGs than fantasy? And yes I know there's a lot of overlap between the two like WH40k, Star Wars, Dragonstar, Numenera, etc. so just humor me and assume when I mean fantasy in this case I mean the more medievalist stuff.

Basically, has anyone played more Traveller-esque settings than D&D-esque settings?
>>
>>51854846
I've played in exactly two fantasy games, and ran exactly one. All of them fell apart after a couple sessions. Once because I was new and it was bad, once for scheduling conflicts, and one because we decided we didn't like dnd.

And I don't mean that in a "DAE DnD is bad!" way, or even "fantasy = dnd". I just don't like dnd or fantasy much personally. I really want to run Warhammer fantasy some day, I really like the WHFRP retro-clone Zweihänder and would probably use that. And I'm always on the lookout for people to try and get a Dark Sun game going.

I digressed a bit there, but I have played for more Science Fiction/Fantasy games. I've played a lot of 40k games and Star Wars games (I have played WEG, D20, and EotE), one homebrew that was so generic I don't even remember it, we did character creation for Traveler once, some Gamma World if you'd count that, and my friends and I are looking to play Coriolis soon because "Arabian Nights in Space" is one of the best fucking things I've ever heard.
>>
>>51854846
I hate D&D with a passion which really limits my options for Fantasy RPGs. The fantasy RPGs I have DMed (forever GM here) are things like Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay or the Dragon Age RPG. I'm just much more comfortable with sci-fi settings even if they have some magical elements.

Probably the longest-running games I have GMed are Dark Heresy, Shadowrun and a little post-apocalypse setting called Darwin's World.

One thing that kind of irritates me is the lack of "Pure" Sci-Fi settings in big budget RPGs. It seems like everything from Shadowrun to Deadlands feels compelled to include magic. I'm a big fan of Cyberpunk 2020, so I do hope that we get a re-booted version of the setting once the Cyberpunk 2077 game launches.
>>
>>51854986
Dark Sun fan, eh?

I think Dark Sun and Eberron might be the only to fantasy settings left that I'd be able to genuinely enjoy at this point. But then I just need more exposure to fantasy settings that aren't more generic Tolkein-esque rehashes. BUT at the same time aren't super alienating and trying way to hard to be original. Hence why I think Dark Sun/Eberron strike gold.

>>51855327
>One thing that kind of irritates me is the lack of "Pure" Sci-Fi settings in big budget RPGs. It seems like everything from Shadowrun to Deadlands feels compelled to include magic. I'm a big fan of Cyberpunk 2020, so I do hope that we get a re-booted version of the setting once the Cyberpunk 2077 game launches.

I don't think there's a lot of settings that are 100% "pure" from supernatural or paranormal stuff. Even allegedly "hard" sci-fi settings like Eclipse Phase and Fragged Empire have either psionics or alien tech that tends to invoke Clarke's Third Law. Which I'm okay with honestly, as long as it's rare and (usually) unnerving to use or be around.
>>
>>51854846
I'm not even sure what this question means, but sure, I'll bite.

I started with Spelljammer, went to D6 Star Wars, Alternity, d20 Star Wars OCR, and then finally started playing other kinds of RPGs, but have played pretty much every sci-fi related RPG I've come across. Probably something like 30 all told.
>>
>>51854846
With all the Mutant I've been playing I'm fairly certain most of my games have been post-apocalyptic. "Standard fantasy games" has actually been pretty few and far between except for a recent streak.
>>
>>51855427
I could talk about Dark Sun forever, I am such a huge fanboy for it. My only problem is that I don't really care for any edition of dnd that much, so I'd want to run it in something else. I've played around with it a lot the past couple years, but I haven't found something that does what I want perfectly. Right now I'm thinking Zweihänder once I get my hands on the physical books, but with a class system more akin to Shadows of the Demon Lord. But those are my two flavor of the month rpgs at the moment, so that will probably change. I've also looked at Runequest a little, and it seems solid, but it might be just a little too much crunch for me. Mainly the skill system.

A lot of people insist on the original adnd version but I just... I just can't.

Are you having the same autistic problems as me? Any suggestions?
>>
>>51854846
Nah, most ""sci-fi"" space settings I am involved in are vastly more about fantasy and rule of cool than any science since my group prefer to concentrate on the actions and talking than impromptu physics lectures.

Which is why I find it so strange many autists here try to put so much effort on imaginary lore and physics that nobody care or interested in, let alone play by.
>>
>>51856510
I was trying to figure out how to work Dark Sun into 5e for the longest time, since that's the only version of D&D I can tolerate running. Then I realized that requires fiddling around with parts about 5e I'm too lazy to deal with, so I gotta wait until WotC releases Dark Sun support, which is estimated to occur around the time the Milky Way galaxy collides with Andromeda.

As for what system would work best with Dark Sun? No goddamn clue so far. I do have the same problem that you have but with a different system, Fragged Empire. Very cool setting, meh ruleset. I keep on sperging out over what system to use but keep finding faults with them:

-Traveller: too crunchy with starships and equipment, and assumes a human-centric, fairly stable setting (FE is post-apocalyptic and has no humans)

-Stars Without Number: Biggest candidate but the classes are lazily broken down into "fighter, psychic, everyone else".

-Savage Worlds doesn't seem to like character that don't focus on combat very well and I want scientists and warriors to have equal merit in a party. But i don't have a lot of experience with SW so IDK

-GURPS: No.

-Super light narrative stuff like FATE: Nooooo.

I mean fuck, at least Dark Sun has a bit more luck since there's a shitload of support for fantasy systems out there. Sci-fi? not so much.
>>
>>51856724
>Which is why I find it so strange many autists here try to put so much effort on imaginary lore and physics that I I personally don't care or interested in, let alone play by.

ftfy
>>
>>51857130
I am not familiar with Fragged Empire, but I was reading about Coriolis and I believe a reviewer or some guy in a forum brought up Fragged Empire saying that it could work with that. Maybe that could work with you? But I have no idea.

Also I just love that game and I'm kind of shilling. You're right though, sci fi is typically harder to work with.
>>
>>51857304
Well I bought Coriolis and I'm not disappointed. Might just have to use it for Fragged Empire though, but I'm loving the default setting for it. Never knew I wanted Arabian Nights in space until now.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.