[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>players refuse to stay in one location long enough to do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1487664370621.jpg (53KB, 498x369px) Image search: [Google]
1487664370621.jpg
53KB, 498x369px
>players refuse to stay in one location long enough to do anything besides fuck everything up and leave before the hammer comes down
>>
>>51852495
Have you made the authorities chase them? Bounty hunters are a thing anon.
>>
>>51852495
Place them on an island. Make up a reason they can't sail out.
>inb4 teleport
>>
>>51852520
Yes, but I can only do that so many times before it becomes absurd. They already have cumulatively acquired what could be described as a small army of bounty hunters/law enforcers after them.

I either need to subvert the idea somehow, or expand on it; they're obviously gaining a reputation. Just not sure how.
>>
>>51852560
Have the bounty hunters catch up?

I do the understand the problem?
>>
>>51852560
Run a one-shot where they're the bounty hunters?
>>
>>51852577
A few have caught up, but they've been handily "dealt with". I would feel pretty crap about throwing a huge group of a bunch of different hunters/enforcers at them all at the same time, but then again if it results in a Smokin' Aces-esque competition about who gets to take the targets, that could be entertaining.

>>51852608
Fun idea, thanks.
>>
>>51852530
>"Well, not even last night's storm could wake you. I heard them say we've reached Morrowind, I'm sure they'll let us go."
>>
>>51852495

Have their reputation precede them
Villages form militia and garrison against them
knights/guards make roadblocks and checkpoints
people refuse to do business with them
they will either have to dig in deep with the outlaw community, give in to whatever punishment(s) the laws of the land demand, or starve to death in the woods come winter.

alternatively this is now just a viking campaign and your bitch ass players raid and pillage whatever because you let them be the most powerful thing around where ever they choose to go (a terrible idea) and that's just the game now.
>>
OP here, also the problem is less that there are no "consequences" for their actions, more that without them ever sticking in one place it's very difficult to fully develop and tie in NPC's, locations, local plot hooks, etc. It's sort of like watching them on a treadmill with a bunch of different scenery scrolling by in the background.

Which, I guess, should be my cue that I need to develop the bounty hunter thing into its own fully-fleshed situation with problems, people, etc. As opposed to simply a "reactive" measure.
>>
>>51852639
Even raiders pick their targets. Place reasonable threats on the map (wealthy castle, order of warrior monks etc.) and the players will either behave themselves or pay the consequenses.
>>
>>51852639
Cool ideas, thanks. I like the idea of them having to dig deeper into outlaw social circles because of their "untouchable" nature.

As an aside, they're not even close to the most powerful things out there, but they are smart and good at maneuvering themselves out of the poor situations they've worked themselves into. They're not really the murdering/pillaging types, more well-meaning idiots who fail to anticipate repercussions.
>>
>>51852667

Recurring antagonists who hunt them but flee when their moots are defeated. gypsy caravans that arrive in towns at the same time on multiple occasions, wandering salesmen, travelling monks. just think more wild west. If your players are a bunch of drifters who don't form attachments to the land, have them become a part of the larger drifter community.
>>
>>51852634

Why should you feel crap about them ruining the game?

Why would the army after them send two or three guys at a time?

Why are they the only powerful characters in here?

Send a pack of dedicated fucker-hunters after them. They've showed their power level enough times now that their pursuers should know exactly what to expect.

Have some hard-ass dudes roll up with the exact counters to all of their shit.
>>
>>51852495
Well sounds like you should send a party of valiant heroes after them to end their reign of terror.
>>
>>51852495

I had the same problem too, but we were playing Traveller and the players would just Jump to another planet or space station. Ain't no bounty hunter catching that
>>
>>51853065
What, Traveler as a setting doesn't allow for FTL tracking? I've obviously never played, but I imagine if you had the right onboard system, you could track the direction someone going into Hyperspace/Warp Speed/Whatever was going by snooping on whatever source they use to chart their path. After all, even in the far future, the sheer number of calculations you would have to make to jump between starsystems would likely require the aid of a national or planetary-grade supercomputer to accomplish, not to mention changes in .
Otherwise, you'd need a navigation system better than the Millennium Falcon's onboard, or use outdated star charts and gamble that nothing's changed significantly from its course since you last update them (which is probably what outlaws and PCs would do, honestly).
>>
>>51853484
>not to mention changes in traffic or heavenly body courses.
Thought I finished that thought.
>>
>>51853484

The Traveller Jump system works that you create a pocket dimension around your ship and your ship is removed from reality, only existing within that pocket dimension. A week later your ship appears at its destination and the pocket dimension dissolves. Why a week? Because reasons, that's why. And some ships have different Jump distances, but every Jump takes a week. So its really hard to 'chase' a ship, you'd have to predict where they're going to be.

Its weird
>>
>>51853869
If you want to address the issue in Traveler, you can. It is incredibly easy if the players have Jump-1, and still easy if the players have Jump-2.
This solution assumes you are playing in the 3I setting: your players do X and flee out of system. The system of origin reports the crime and/or places a bounty. If it's a purely local crime, then the chances of repercussions are low but word gets around that the players will cause trouble, reducing the number of npcs that will work with them. If it's a 3I or Zhodani matter, the X-boat network means that the whole subsector will hear about it within the month, or even the whole Sector if the issue is grave enough. Remember, the 3I black water navy has ratings of Jump-4 and above.
The repercussions are not swift, and unless the PC's never revisit a system and run for their lives, they will be caught. It just takes time.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.