[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I find myself listening to a lot of Trail of Cthulhu games and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Internment of Japanese Americans.jpg (227KB, 1200x1201px) Image search: [Google]
Internment of Japanese Americans.jpg
227KB, 1200x1201px
I find myself listening to a lot of Trail of Cthulhu games and it got me thinking of what events in history that are rarely touched upon in table top.

For instance, the internment of Japanese during WWII. Imagine a game where you investigate the murder of an older man that is revealed to have been responsible for framing his neighbors as Japanese spies so he could get their store and expand his business but was set upon by an angry spirit until it drove him insane and killed him and started moving on to other members of his family.
>>
>>51841567

Hey, how about the internment of the Chinese in Japanese death camps? Would that make a good scenario too, gwailoh?
>>
>>51841567
CoC usually takes place in the 1930s.
>>
>>51841605
>Imperial Japanese officer
>Unwittingly complicit in specific crimes of his superiors
>Saw to the deportation of Chinese citizens that he believed were partisan soldiers
>They were not, or at least not all of them were, but without exception became human experiments and perished
>To add to the horror, the officer or an ancestor of his had some sort of estranged or unknown offspring with a member of the victim group
>That part of the family fled to the US
>And became interned in a camp, after being framed as per OP
>Some metaphysical fuckery means the curse leveled on the officer always carries on to his next of kin and he died childless or something
>The American branch of the family does not believe in curses
>And besides, so they say, they were innocently targeted as well - should that not mean they've done their dues?
I'd play it. Some sort of dynasty drama with Asian vengeance ghosts, neatly tied up in age-old intrigues. Would probably take one hell of a group to pull off, however.
>>
I have a suspicion this is a pol thread or will become one.
>>
>>51841767

The thought came to me as I made this thread but I just wanted to find some way to have Ring style angry ghost in the 1940's or in the 1960's after everything is done with.
>>
>>51841627
CoC is usually 1920s; ToC is usually 1930s.

>>51841567
Listening?

>angry spirit

That's American Gothic, not Cthulhu. Yeah yeah, that stupid adventure. It was from when CoC was American Gothic and doesn't belong in the Mythos.

Also:
>framing his neighbors as Japanese spies

You can't "frame" someone as a race they are not, idiot. And the government confiscated their property for the duration of hostilities, it didn't give it away to random neighbours.

Jesus, fuck, this thread.
>>
>>51843073

Are you retarded? Being Japanese was already implied only that they are framed for being spies or cooperating with them.
>>
>>51843073
>>51843333
Holy shit. Usually I just lurk, but this amount of idiocy forced my hand. Also I'm drunk.

Seriously? Is english not your first language? Because you're comprehension is shit. Of course the neighbors are Japanese to begin with. That's why they're being framed as JAPANESE spies. Jesus fuck.

Although. If you were trying to make a point about racism against Asians, you could make the neighbors Chinese or Korean and have them be misinterpreted as Japanese. All slanty eyes are the same anyway, right?

But Christ. I can't believe your lack of comprehension right now. 10/10 am mad
>>
>>51841567

While we're tap dancing close to /pol/ territory, that setup has the makings of a great setting as any morally ambiguous, damned if you do and damned if you don't, situation does.

While there were spies and saboteurs, the vast majority of Japanese were totally innocent and treated shabbily. While the internment was driven in part by racism, the level of hysteria on the West Coast during early 1942 was so high that the government would have been diverting scarce assets trying to prevent widespread and deadly outbreaks of "ethnic cleansing" if the internment didn't occur.

If you want to read just how crazy things were, google "Battle of Los Angeles".

You've got a very interesting setting there which should challenge your players on many levels.
>>
>>51843073
>And the government confiscated their property for the duration of hostilities, it didn't give it away to random neighbours.
Lots of Japanese farmers that were sent off to the camps returned to their land after release to find that all of their farming equipment had been stolen while they were away.
The government didn't just give their property away, but it didn't look after it for them either. The lucky Japanese had a non-Japanese friend that looked after their land/possessions while they were gone.

>>51846409
>Battle of Los Angeles
This Anon is on the right track.
>>
>>51846409

Well the idea was that this would take place some time after the war and after the Japanese were released from internment. Basically a neighbor who was particularly giddy about getting his jap neighbor's land so uses his connections to get the family charged as spies and basically gets dibs on their stuff when it's auctioned off.

I'm thinking maybe he also got ahold of some family heirloom that acts as the focus of the curse. Maybe the child of the family committed suicide and haunts the man as an angry spirit. Maybe they were keeping an item that sealed away an evil spirt but being thrown in jail it fell into the hands of a foolish man that plays into the evil spirits scheme for escape.
>>
>>51846520
>This Anon is on the right track.

Thank you.

Leaving aside the history lessons and moral questions, what sort of Japanese or Japanese-themed spirits could the OP employ in his adventure?

Like any other culture, Japan has a shit ton of spirits, ghosts, goblins, and ghoulies to to choose from. There's the yurei which is a ghost in perhaps the most Western sense. There's goryo which are vengeful spirits. There's also the jibakurei(?) a spirit which protects certain places.

The OP could use any of those or others. The OP could also tie it back to CoC/ToC/Whatever oC by having the "spirits" merely disguised or misidentified manifestations of more Lovecraftian horrors.
>>
>>51846648
>Basically a neighbor who was particularly giddy about getting his jap neighbor's land so uses his connections to get the family charged as spies and basically gets dibs on their stuff when it's auctioned off.

Good thinking. There weren't many actual spy trials involving the interned. Accusations, yes. Trails and convictions, nearly none.

Land and other properties were lost, however, through mortgage and tax foreclosures. That could muddle things further. The man being "haunted" didn't do the previous Japanese owners wrong. He's just the poor sap who bought the land after they lost it.

>>I'm thinking maybe he also got ahold of some family heirloom that acts as the focus of the curse.

That's really good. Having an heirloom makes it even easier to rope in Lovecraftian entities.

>>Maybe the child of the family committed suicide and haunts the man as an angry spirit.

Another good idea. There are Japanese spirits which "specialize" in just that.

>>Maybe they were keeping an item that sealed away an evil spirt but being thrown in jail it fell into the hands of a foolish man that plays into the evil spirits scheme for escape.

Again, good ideas. And again, the heirloom angle helps involve Lovecraft's mythos.
>>
>>51846804

A dimensional shambler that was sealed inside of some heirloom. It reminds me of the yokai that looks like a giant skeleton that you can only see if you look straight up so maybe that's the only way you can see it.
>>
>>51846955

Perfect. The mythos entity is only perceived as a Japanese cultural ghoulie.

That could REALLY trip up the players. They plan on dealing with X only to realize it's actually Y.
>>
>>51847067

The PCs would have to be related (at least one of them) to the family as a means of bridging them to the situation. Perhaps they were brought up with the stories of this "profane" jewel that their family was entrusted with but lost when the PCs grandparents were interred during the war. They set out to try and find it and the investigation goes towards following the trail of this jewel were they learn of strange deaths and accidents happening to the owners around a certain time of year. The investigation leads them to the current owner who's currently being stalked by the Shambler and thus the PCs are now potential victims
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.