[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some recommendations for campaigns where the players

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1487705596477.png (287KB, 540x489px) Image search: [Google]
1487705596477.png
287KB, 540x489px
What are some recommendations for campaigns where the players start off dead? As zombies, skeletons, ghosts, etc.
>>
>>51838363

Getting something to make your navel transparent would be my first course of action.
>>
>>51838363
Have a good in game reason for them to be dead, and of a similar quality of dead.

Also, make sure your game system can handle the inherent balance differences.
>>
>>51838363
I played a game once where all of the PCs received letters inviting them to this mansion. We spent awhile trying to figure out why we were there, eventually we discovered that the mansion was actually purgatory and that we had all died, once we realized this our DM gave us note cards with what type of undead we were. We had to figure out how we died so that we could move on, little hints were hidden all throughout the mansion, a beheaded doll, a burning drawing of a house, a mouse hanging by its neck, etc etc
>>
File: 1480321941306.jpg (213KB, 750x577px) Image search: [Google]
1480321941306.jpg
213KB, 750x577px
Start the game with a TPK or in the aftermath of one. They slowly regain conciousnes and realize they are locked up in an old asylum/dungeon, skin withered, eyes burnt out, hair thin and whispy, the former gear now in tatters and rusted out. A warm feeling eminates from a seal on their body about the only thing they can feel anymore. They see other similar lifeforms shambling in the halls and after killing them they absorb something from them and thier symbols radiate a pleasent heat and part of them flickers to their original self for a brief moment before once again taking the form of the shriveled husk they now are. The mission is clear, to regain their life they must hunt down others that bear this curse and gather enough life force to once again attain their mortal form.
>>
>>51838521
Sneaky fella, but
>asylum
really busted ya
>>
The players are heroes of antiquity, resurrected by the last member of an undead ruling class to prevent an evil necromancer from completing a ritual that would allow them to control every corpse in the country.

I added a twist where both exp and gold was actually the memories and power of other undead the players defeated. So instead of killing a boss they would siphon the magic that reanimated him into themselves. Instead of selling unused items they absorbed the memories of those who used them.
>>
>>51838363
>The party defeated once an ancient evil by chance after they managed to find out what were the weaknesses of it.
>They won, but they all died in the process.
>For that they were entombed in a grand mausoleum in the mountains.
>500 years later and said ancient evil comes back stronger than ever, and the various nations instead of getting together to get shit done are either bragging with each other or in outright war.
>A Necromancer, who is fed up with all this bullshit and knowing that everyone no matter the alignment will die indiscriminately if the evil is not stopped, goes with his minions to the mausoleum in the mountains and resurrects the party as a unique brand of undead.
>Tells them that the ancient evil they managed to defeat 500 years ago is back and they are the only hope since they know how and what to do when fighting it.
>The entire party has all their powers and skills increased due to the ritual the Necromancer did, yet they must be creative in blending in with the people since the bloody Paladins will auto-smite them on the spot.
>>
>>51838363
Think Guacamelee except with even fewer living people.
>>
>>51838363
There was an AD&D Ravenloft campaign where Death appeared and made his own domain. The PCs were the only undead who weren't under his control.

Fun rules for PC undead if you like AD&D.
>>
Definitely seems like a fun chance to start by determining who they were in life.

Dunno, I once did a game (based on a one-shot comic called Inferno) where a twist was that the players were all killed at the start of the game and woke up together in a kind of hell. All I had to tell them was "your characters have never met, and may not even be on the same continent." On a similar token, you could tell your players to start by coming up with level 1 characters that don't have to have been born within the last century- they could be from basically any point in known history of the setting. All that matters is that at some point in their life they wound up venturing into (place where some necromancer killed them and made them into undead, or whatever else you had in mind).
>>
>>51838363
"You all meet in a bed-of-honour..."
>>
>>51838363
might I suggest this gem I came across in the archives?
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/32199372/

summary:
>It's the far future. Far enough that humanity has forgotten where it came from.
>Human colonies scattered all over the known universe
>Something terrible happened a few millenia ago.
>All humans died.
>Artificially enhanced humans survived.
>Dead people brought back to life with serious tech (kinda like 40k servitors, but with some memories and can think on their own. pic related)
>A new civilization of undead cyborgs (need name for both cyborgs and the civilization)
>Players are cyborgs travelling the universe, looking for dead colonies.
>When finding dead humans, they get to either resurrect them (but it's costly, so it can only be used on the best), enslave them (turn them into worker slaves) or scrap them for parts.
>Lots of political agendas between internal, rivalling factions
>Quests to find the corpses of important characters from the past
>Alien races who don't want to see humans come back to power
>Explore what made humans die out from the beginning
>Coping with death
>>
Have them be TPK by assassins after their first adventure and be resurrected years later by a necromancer that goads them with a chance at revenge if they do some errands for him.
Brings them back to life, world has gone to shit in their absence and set them on the revenge path. Every now and then the necromancer chimes in to give them an objective, if they refuse they slowly begin to fall apart.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.