[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Norse have an amazing mythology. >Most "norse"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

>Norse have an amazing mythology.
>Most "norse" settings, kingdoms etc scratch only on the surface.

Why waste so much potential?
>>
You could literally replace "norse" with any world culture.

Most of the time gamers only want a nice coat of paint to apply to their otherwise generic scenery.
>>
>>51836872
This applies to any mythology ever. You should at least be glad that norse mythology influenced almost every setting out there.
>>
>>51836872

Because I'm playing a game not writing a fucking book.
>>
This could be said about lots of cultures. It's the theme park version everything comes in nowadays.
Lots of players want to focus more on monster slaying and their own characters than exploring a fictional culture based off of a real one.
>>
>>51837145
Or maybe they don't want real world in their games in the first place and would rather like to see the author's original ideas.
>>
File: huh.jpg (23KB, 300x354px) Image search: [Google]
huh.jpg
23KB, 300x354px
>>51837113
>the setting is not one of the most important parts of roleplaying, if not THE most important
>>
>>51837184
You'd be surprised, but some people take primary pleasure in watching high numbers turn up on the dice they throw. No, I don't understand them either. But they exist and they have the same right to enjoy their games.
>>
>>51837184
I would play an rpg set in the Shannara universe if it was fun. Setting is just a conveyance for the players to roleplay. Just because you put a lot of time into making doesn't make it important
>>
>>51836872
>Þ is "A"
triggered
>>
>>51837310
I would rather play pretend without any rules or dice if the setting was good, than play a really good system with a crappy setting.
>>
>>51837497
I'm the opposite, because the setting is malleable. I use the framework of the really good system to run my own game with it's own setting.
>>
>>51837497
I respect your opinion because I believe it is the opposite viewpoint upon which this argument will exist. I think both styles are equally valid, just not equally enjoyable for everybody
>>
>>51836872
Probably because most of what we know of "Norse" mythology is actually a later reconstruction that's heavily influenced by Christianity. So yeah, of course anyone using it is going to do so shallowly, we don't know what the real thing is supposed to look like.
>>
File: The_tempel_of_Uppakra_Sweden.jpg (366KB, 1417x1492px) Image search: [Google]
The_tempel_of_Uppakra_Sweden.jpg
366KB, 1417x1492px
>>51836872
It does bother me how the norsemen have been reduced to a simple raider-culture of nothing but vikings. Sure, traveling west to raid was a big thing in norse society, but it wasn't necessarily a pillar of it. They were first and foremost travelers and merchants when out of the country. The best stories are about the internal conflicts and politics of Scandinavia; some real GoT shit.

The vikings were, relatively speaking, quite democratic for their times. Every freeman had the right to vote at the local and regional Things (a type of forum or assembly), though they'd more often than not vote in line with their chief. The children of thralls were nominally free but were obligated by law to vote according to their parents' master's wishes. These things not only there to solve legislative issues and make new laws (which were then overseen by the Lawspeaker), but also serve as a public court for conflict resolution between the various clans. The lack of central authority meant there was no one around with the right to mete out executions left and right like in the early modern era (1500s onwards), and so their society was focused on reconciliation and recompensation in the form of blood money; a certain sum that scaled according to the severity of the crime.

Pic related is a visual reconstruction of a temple that was rebuilt several times over, but always in the same place; a location which acted as the center of power for an entire region for a thousand years. You don't have to go large-scale for things to be epic; regional feuds can be just as thrilling and tend to be easier to handle. You slaughter a man and his clan will seek you out either for vengeance or recompensation; he wasn't just a faceless mook from a city of a hundred thousand, he was a valued member of one the region's most influential clans which might've numbered in the hundreds or a thousand at best.
>>
>>51836872
Because you seem to think who fucked who and begat who is the basis for any sort of game. But we're here to help you, OP
>>
File: 2017-02-21-17-11-00.png (128KB, 1023x1227px) Image search: [Google]
2017-02-21-17-11-00.png
128KB, 1023x1227px
>>51836872
Odin's beard, that's a terrible chart to use for futhark. It's just a dumb font mapping for typing on keyboards, and it looks like tried to map runes to similar-looking latin characters.
>>
>>51837145
>It's the theme park version everything comes in nowadays.

This is how everything has always been, dumbass.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.