[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Suppose you have a race of intelligent brachiators. Fantasy orang-utanmen.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: l_tschorr_apeworship1.jpg (65KB, 432x343px) Image search: [Google]
l_tschorr_apeworship1.jpg
65KB, 432x343px
Suppose you have a race of intelligent brachiators. Fantasy orang-utanmen. They're fairly primitive, but the use of tools is widespread. The same goes for weapons.

Common weapons are variations of hand or arm weights, that make their punches and haymakers pack a much bigger punch.

Still, the brachiatiors realise that their prey is much easier to take down with cutting or piercing weapons. What kind of bladed weapons would they come up with, keeping in mind they need their hands to move at full speed?

And worldbuilding general, I guess?
>>
>>51805443

Bladed helmets.
>>
>>51805443

Carrying spears in their feet that they can jab at other orangu-men with or drop down on prey from above?
>>
>>51806029
Also shoulderpads for some tackles
>>
>>51806254
This. The things brachiators can do with their prehensile feet is amazing.
>>
File: 11.jpg (78KB, 630x230px) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
78KB, 630x230px
trench knives
>>
>>51806502
>not triangular blade
you call that a trench knife?
>>
>>51806534
that edge
>>
>>51805443
I'm thinking what >>51806254
said about spears.

Also maybe bladed bracers, for the stereo typical arm bash.

With the upperbody strength and arm length, they'd probably have some pretty impressive bows and archers.
>>
>With the upperbody strength and arm length, they'd probably have some pretty impressive bows and archers.

Meh. I don't think the legs of a brachiating race would offer a stable enough platform for archery.

We have the luxury of holding out both of our arms off-balance because our legs and frame are strong relative to the weight and size of our arms.

An orangman with his arms outstretched would be holding much larger and heavier forearms at a greater distance from his center of gravity. I'm not sure a brachiator would have the leg strength to maintain balance.
>>
>>51806877
I assumed they're still aboreal, and are using their feet to grip and maintain balance.

I think you might also be overestimating the amount of balance needed to be able to extend one arm away from the body without tipping over.
>>
>>51806970
>I think you might also be overestimating the amount of balance needed to be able to extend one arm away from the body without tipping over.
Could be. But try to imagine the size our arms would be if we had an orang's size ratio between our legs and arms. They'd be massive.

Now imagine an otherwise primitive, wooden bow that's designed to capitalise on more-than-human arm strength.

Add that weight right at the very tip of one of your now monstrously oversized arms.

And hold it still.
>>
File: bandar2.jpg (505KB, 1600x1148px) Image search: [Google]
bandar2.jpg
505KB, 1600x1148px
>>51807076
I think you'd get a totally different loading and firing style with one arm lifted and dropped as part of the "pull" action so it's at least partially counterbalanced by the other arm moving backward.

Or if tipping over is that much of a problem, there's plenty of trees to lean against.

If you're that opposed to the idea, don't use it. I for one am sold on Bandar Log archers.
>>
>>51807287
Ass on the ground, bow on foot, pull and release with arm.
>>
File: yrtfjghvgo.png (272KB, 907x680px) Image search: [Google]
yrtfjghvgo.png
272KB, 907x680px
>>51810405
>>51806970
>>51806877
Would they be able to shoot this way?
>>
>something something Jokaero
>>
>>51811594
>40krap
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.