[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>My setting is a HARD sci-fi with humans only and very grounded

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: miller.jpg (119KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
miller.jpg
119KB, 900x600px
>My setting is a HARD sci-fi with humans only and very grounded in reality technology
>Less than 10 sessions later there is aliens breaking all laws of physics
>>
>>51772735
Who are you quoting
>>
But aliens with fantasy technology (read:magic) is common hard sci-fi cliche and it's perfectly okay as long as it's played in Lovecraftian fashion.
>>
>>51772735
Any non-historical setting that lists realism as one of its main factors is not one worth playing in.
>>
>>51772735
Anon,when did the GM start introducing biowank?
>>
>>51772735
In the books, it's specifically noted that while the technology used by the protomolecule is beyond human comprehension and doesn't conform to our previous understanding of physics, it's still bound by fundamental laws of nature like conservation of energy and the speed of light.

IIRC, there hasn't actually been any space magic that's occurred in the show. Unless you're claiming that the existence of alien life is breaking the laws of physics?
>>
>>51773063
Spoilers ;)

Now for actual spoilers for the series The gates and ghost miller is magic in a series that advertised itself in being very realistic hard sci-fi
>>
>>51773099
Pretty sure wormholes aren't a confirmed physical impossibility, and Miller is just a hallucination created by an interaction between psychic semi-sentient alien space too and Holden's brain. Once again, just because it's outside human comprehension doesn't mean it couldn't ever happen.
>>
>>51773241
>too
Fuck you phone, goo is a real word.
>>
>>51773241
Alright now here's for the real magic bobbie arm wrestling the power armor suit and winning
>>
>>51772735
>My setting is a HARD sci-fi
Its not really though? I mean less than halfway through the first book were introduced to the proto-molecule.

The authors have also stated they removed most robotic automation for the sake of keeping things about humans in SPACE!
>>
>>51773358
The problem with the proto-molecule is it's not very good for the story and there's too much focus on the alien stuff. The authors are also heading way towards more alien stuff in future books, with actually meeting an alien species

the best parts of the story is humans
>>
>>51773422
I find that a very weird point of view when its the basis for the entire series honestly. Apart from the rather well done group dynamic on the ship, I dont think the human aspect is the series strong point at all.

To me personally the strong world building/setting is the only thing that keeps me reading the books.
>>
>>51772937
This but also for historical setting.
I am not interested in having my character playing bystander and wanker to DMPC in his self-insert wanking in his retelling of history where his self-insert gets everything.
>>
>>51773559
It's the basis sure, but I like the human elements a lot more. AG is the best book in my opinion, even despite the alien stuff that takes like like 40% of it
>>
Miller is the perfect example that men can pull of wearing a fedora.

If they are 10/10s with actor charisma..
>>
>>51773663
He looks like a Tom Waits cosplayer.
And it's not an especially good costume.
>>
>>51773663
You can wear a fedora if you wear appropriate dress, such as a suit. Trenchcoat and fedora is doable if you actually look like a hardcore motherfucker, but that's not a matter of personal judgement.
>>
File: 1024385.jpg (22KB, 299x259px) Image search: [Google]
1024385.jpg
22KB, 299x259px
>>51773763
Well to be fair, Tom Waits is on a different goddamn plane of existence. Who else on the universe could pull off a chinstrap beard and a fedora/newsie hat
>>
>>51773294
Yeah, that's just the show being shitty.

>>51773358
>>51773422
>tfw no Battlestar Donager spinoff starring qt corea waifu captain
Aliens really were a mistake for the setting.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.