[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would a society of Pokemon, a la Mystery Dungeon, even function?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 41

How would a society of Pokemon, a la Mystery Dungeon, even function? You've got different types of Pokemon, some predator, some prey, and all are sentient to some degree. Standardization of stuff like roads would likewise be difficult, since evolved forms are drastically different from pre-evolved. Also, why doesn't any Pokemon in Mystery Dungeon use tools or weapons?

Difficulty:
Novice: Give a good hypothetical example.
Adept: Start building a setting that makes sense.
Master: Build a setting that makes sense and is appropriate for Pokemon's target audience.
>>
File: IMG_3369.jpg (119KB, 625x630px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3369.jpg
119KB, 625x630px
http://www.mediafire.com/?vv6nke1tpexjae2

I like how pokerole made the setting work.
>>
>>51766160
Why would you need to eat other pokemon when you can sustain a hard voyage on two apples?
>>
>>51766160
They all eat berries.
Or non-Pokemon animals.

Rock types handle construction. In fact, pretty much just Geodudes. They have hands and shit.
>>
>>51766418
Digletts probably help too, given how they can basically dig through most stuff and leave a path of easily-workable soil in place.
>>
>>51766160
You DO know that Pokemon are just mutated humans and that regular animals and indeed standard mythological beasts exist in the Pokemon world right?
>>
>>51766572
>Pokemon are just mutated humans
What. Is this from the new games or something?
>>
>>51766572
What are you basing that on?
>>
>>51766572
Where are these regular animals? Are they next to the rice ball shaped "donuts"? Cause the games have Miltank farms, but not cow farms.
>>
File: 1381059740551.jpg (21KB, 361x480px) Image search: [Google]
1381059740551.jpg
21KB, 361x480px
>>51766600
No. That anon just has a weird headcanon based on several different sources, each of which is its own unrelated canon.

>Pokemon are just mutated humans
In the Mystery Dungeon series you take the role of a human mysteriously turned into a Pokemon. The main series also has examples of this, but it's primarily dead humans becoming Ghost types and Kadabra's Pokedex entry. Notably there are books and myths that claim humans and Pokemon were once indistinguishable but I'm not sure how you get "mutated humans" from that.

>regular animals and indeed standard mythological beasts exist
Exclusive to the anime and some early game art, never appearing in an actual game. Later stuff did away with this and now Pokemon just ARE the world's animals, species names in the Pokedex notwithstanding.
>>
>>51766686
The Mystery Dungeon games are offshoots of the main series and probably aren't canon as a result. That you can end the game and just kind of wake up makes it all seem more like a dream than a real event that happened.

Also that Absol better stop talkin shit bout the weather man. I mean how often is that punkass pokemon ever right about the weather?
>>
>>51766600
>>51766659
>>51766681
>>51766686
So, going off the concept that the Pokedex is supposed to be an in-game source of information on Pokemon, compiled by people who live in the Pokemon world, the only real explanation that the electric mouse Pokemon could be described as such would be simply because there are mice that exist in that world as a reference. I'm pretty sure normal insects and fish are referenced as prey as well, but I can't be 100% sure and so won't use it.

In addition, the Pokedex lists numerous instances of Pokemon being transformed from humans. One such instance is Kadabra. Some Ghost Pokemon such as Pokemon Yamask and Phantump are also mentioned to be the spirits of deceased humans. The strongest argument in favour however, are a series of books from the Canalave library in the Sinnoh region which suggest that Pokemon and humans sat at the same table, got married and were virtually indistinguishable from one another.
>>
>>51766727
Absol have the ability to predict disasters
>>
>>51766727
Everything in Pokemon is canon to itself and nothing else. Mystery Dungeon isn't canon to the main series, which isn't canon to the Coloseum games, which aren't canon to the anime, which isn't canon to the special manga, which isn't canon to the card game.

Absol can sense disasters anon, get the fuck out of wherever you are.
>>
>>51766880
>>51766876
As far as anyone of us know, the news channel could be using another Absol to predict only a chance of rain. So one of these 2 Absols is bad at predictions or one of them is lying.
>>
>>51766855
Or Humans are just a variety of pokemon with special rules for evolution.
>>
>>51766926
Most news outlets use Castform for predictions actually.
>>
>>51766947
Should probably keep a pokemon who can tell you when a natural disaster is about to happen on staff just in case. Just saying.
>>
>>51766418

Non-Pokemon animals no longer exist. In fact, they never existed. Dog? What's a dog. I think you mean Growlithe. Please come with me.
>>
File: 1483123058555.png (526KB, 2209x1142px) Image search: [Google]
1483123058555.png
526KB, 2209x1142px
>>51766939
I think that's the intended reading, actually. Or my interpretation, at least. Humans were a variety of Pokemon that diverged for whatever reason and became their own thing.

With stuff like Mew and Arceus around I would think Pokemon came first.
>>
The "Mystery Dungeon pokemon world" doesn't really operate on logic. How the hell a quadruped with no thumbs can throw something is a big enough riddle, but when it comes to worldbuilding it's such complete bullshit that it's kind of hard to no where to start. I just wished they used actual names instead of referring to each other as their species, but it's obvious why they wouldn't do that from a non-roleplaying perspective
>>51766855
The pokedex is really just so absurd that you sort of have to dismiss it as just being a collection of whatever rumors some kid (you) has heard about a pokemon whether it's true or false
>>
>>51767036
Some other anon mentioned canon and how most of the Pokemon media tend to be in their own little boxes. With that in mind, how do you explain the rare (extremely rare) occurrence of Pokemon capable of speech? I want to know why some Pokemon that are claimed to be hyper intelligent or are just plain psychic can't speak in anything other than the animal grunts and growls that some of the simpler Pokemon speak.
>>
>>51766998
>Indian Elephants
>>
>>51766998
I think the only non-pokemon animal that has been mentioned is the "Indian elephant" from raichu's dex entry, though that does imply that African elephants also exist
>>
>>51767089
As for the worlds media it's kind of weird. You barely even see roads that a car can go down in the games. The world seems to operate like a bunch of sci-fi city states with no crime outside of the rare gang of costumed weirdos surrounded by wilderness where animals have magic powers, but then you hear details in the game that contradict that in favor of making it sound more like our world.
As for how intelligent they are I think that's just a disconnect between the main games and the anime. In the anime they're basically as intelligent as humans, but in the games they don't really ever seem that intelligent outside of a few legendary ones
>>
File: 1478400073060.jpg (138KB, 354x541px) Image search: [Google]
1478400073060.jpg
138KB, 354x541px
>>51767089
>main series
I would probably say simple biology for most, but sometimes it gets weird. Not matter how smart an Alakazam is, it doesn't have the necessary vocal chords for speech. Pokemon just don't have the capacity to speak, but can understand well enough. I can't recall an example of a Pokemon speaking human language in a game offhand.

>anime
All bets are off. Pokemon have the vocal chords for speech, but have their own language that consists only of their names and for some, growls. Somehow completely different species can understand this, and they transmit complex ideas easily. It's fucking magic, I don't know.
>>
>>51767189
Mimikyu goes "me me curse you"

But apparently that was just added to the western version
>>
>>51766998
Non-Pokemon fish were in the anime as well as non-Pokemon insects like worms.
>>
File: IMG_3739.jpg (112KB, 354x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3739.jpg
112KB, 354x500px
>>51767304
*insects and shit like worms

Also forgot pic.
>>
>>51766160
Why the fuck is this on /tg/ and not /vp/?
You could be bringing actual, decent discussion to /vp/, but NO you gotta post it on /tg/ because it's not gonna get you enough (You)s!

The answer to your post is it's just a game. You're thinking too hard. Relax.
>>
File: 183602.jpg (57KB, 386x550px) Image search: [Google]
183602.jpg
57KB, 386x550px
>>51767310
Same reason we have TES lore on /tg/.

Except anons here were working on tabletop Pokemon rules before /vp/ existed and the cardgame predates 4chan.
>>
>>51767329
Look, nobody said you had to reply with an actually well-thought and reasonable response.
>>
>>51766160
You end up with a caste society, where Pokemon do jobs based on their species. E,g, electric types work at electric plants, fire types are chefs and smelters, rock and steel are builders, kinda the same with fighting types I guess.

Roads would be standardized based on the largest land Pokemon, outside of legendaries.
>>
File: Biggest D in history.jpg (17KB, 213x250px) Image search: [Google]
Biggest D in history.jpg
17KB, 213x250px
>>51767310
I don't know where you think you are or who you're talking with, but nerds love to overthink things. It's the number 1 killer of momentum in any ttrpg group.
>>
>>51767189

Alakazam is said to have an IQ of 5,000 according to the Pokedex and it's rumored that a kid turned into a Kadabra while performing an experiment. So those two would actually make sense if they were actually able to talk. Slowking is also said to be hyper-intelligent (but would lose that intelligence if the shellder were ever removed from its' head).

Most psychic Pokemon being able to communicate telepathically would make the most sense, though.

On another note, if you really want to no longer look at Pokemon the same way again, read their Pokedex entries. A lot of those fuckers are terrifying.
>>
>>51766939
That would explain why nobody seems to age in a way that makes sense.
>>
For Mystery Dungeon, I've combined a few things:

>Humans are rare, but not uncommon
If you look at Gates and Super, the Pokemon have a problem in that their powers usually lead to the creation of some Godzilla monster in response to them. So a human gets called in to fix it, but a human would also bring in their baggage. Imagine them trying to organize a group of 'Mons the way they are familiar, like how a Corporation would work in modern Japan, and then the 'Mons copying it over and over. It's not that the 'Mons are idiots, they've just never met anyone who thought as strangely as the human does.

>Agriculture led to Domestication
All the Pokemon media shows them being able to eat fruits and vegetables and baked goods. Once you start expanding on that, a few apple and peach trees here, some soy and rice there, it becomes much easier to live with a full stomach. As farms expand, it probably attracts more Pokemon and they pool their abilities to protect/expand their farms and the cycle keeps growing.
>>
>>51768898
Look, the reason why the Pokedex entries derail into hyperbole is because they're written by literal elementary school students.

Example: Slugma's skin is said to be as hot as the surface of the sun. If it really was, then he would combust everything in a 60-mile radius.
>>
>>51770992
Which is why people shouldn't take references to real-world animals seriously. They're just mentioned so that we, the 3rd party viewing inward, have a frame of reference to work with.
>>
>>51770992
Slugma is much smaller than a sun, and despite the temperature would have much less energy and overhall heat on him.
>>
>>51771214
Still he would superheat the air in a large radius around him to plasma, sterilizing the earth in its path.
>>
File: 1357921481944.jpg (14KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1357921481944.jpg
14KB, 320x240px
>>51770992
Technically, there's nothing in any canon that actually supports that view. A few games just say the Pokedex automatically generates entries itself by collecting data on Pokemon you catch.

Given how nonsensical and generally out of place the Pokedex entries are, though, I'm of the opinion that the entire thing is some non-canon to pseudo-canon meta info. It's a neat thing for the player to read, but shit is just different in-universe. Raichu's most recent dex entry as of Sun&Moon STILL mentions Indian Elephants, and is still at odds with the rest of the setting.
>>
>>51773844
>>51770992
Honestly, I think Pokedex info is a mix of actual valid info and folk tales/rumors/etc.

Hell the only instance of the "Kadabra was once a boy" that wasn't framed as rumor or wild theory was in Fire Red.
>>
File: 0AgVWWo.png (714KB, 700x4000px) Image search: [Google]
0AgVWWo.png
714KB, 700x4000px
>>
>>51774435
I.... I ... not crying...

Fucking ninjas just threw water in my eyes....
>>
File: 1399919767798.jpg (41KB, 500x475px) Image search: [Google]
1399919767798.jpg
41KB, 500x475px
>>51774435
The Pokedex can make some great feels fodder.
>>
>>51766160
Gender would also be expressed differently. Since there are often trap Pokemon (male Gardevoir, male Primarina, female Machamp), it would be much harder to tell male and female apart.

On another note, the reason why it took until 2nd generation and Professor Elm to categorize male/female Pokemon is because Oak has a hard time with that sort of thing.
>>
>>51767307
>implying thats not a tragically malformed Weedle

How dare you make fun of his disability
>>
>>51773844
Pokedex entries are directly mentioned in the story and by NPCs more often in S&M
>>
>>51766160
How do man-made or object based pokemon come about?
>>
>>51775145
But Pokemon wouldn't consider them 'traps'.
>>
>>51766998
Pikachu is an "electric rat" pokemon, Rattata is a "mouse" pokemon, Tauros is a "wild bull" pokemon, and Miltank is a "milk cow" pokemon.

All these animals must exist/have existed in recent memory for them to be used to describe pokemon.
>>
>>51775145
> because Oak has a hard time with that sort of thing
Reminder that Oak has a brother he never even mentioned, and spends most of his time around 10 year olds, and his pokedex already has all the information on how many pokemon there are in the world.
I think we need to accept the pokemon professors are either senile old men, or students who are using child labor to get information for their masters degree.
>>
>>51766855
The kadabra deal is being listed as a "legend" even IU, so it's probably not even true there.
>>
>>51767189
There was that time where you find out the password to the Mahogany Town Team Rocket base from a talking Murkrow, but that's probably more of a parrot-imitation thing, since the only thing he says is the password. There's also occasionally Pokemon that speak through devices or illusions or telepathically, but those are isolated incidents.
>>
>>51775145
I'm fairly sure those types of pokemon would be able to tell each other apart, especially sex.
>>
>>51766418

The Machop and Timburr lines could also be used for construction.

>>51777235

It's possible that humans are somehow involved. The pokedex entry for Voltorb says that it was first discovered at the same time that pokeballs were invented.

I could also see it being a case of the Pokemon actually coming first and the man made object being based off of it.
>>
File: plsno.png (2MB, 4305x1875px) Image search: [Google]
plsno.png
2MB, 4305x1875px
Reminder that Grimer legitimately consume Trubbish. They probably eat them alive.
>>
>>51782168
IT'S THE CIRRRRRRCLE OF LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE
AND IT MOOOOOVES US AAAAAAALL
>>
File: 1458447285089.png (227KB, 600x559px) Image search: [Google]
1458447285089.png
227KB, 600x559px
>>51782168
Truly, predation is a horrifying thing.
>>
File: 1480621759245.png (783KB, 826x897px) Image search: [Google]
1480621759245.png
783KB, 826x897px
>>51766160
Pokemon are very good when you want to tell a story, so I have some themed cities.

A cold, frosty town near the beach. The locals rely on stored food to get by during the winter, but they've been doing their best to do some aquaculture to try and stretch their resources. Most of them are Ice types, cold and distant and treating the town as little more than a food storage facility and a safe place to keep their kids while they go out into the deep sea and hunt.

So of course it's up to the amnesiac MC to show up and help everyone learn the value of a hometown.

Another simple town I had in mind was to take the archetypical rural town with all the nice people with nice jobs and throw in the MC as some kind of massive monster. Something like have a town full of 2-3 foot tall Pokemon and have them deal with a Milotic, Serperior, or Tyranitar who suddenly showed up without memory.

Question for /tg/,

how big of an organization do you think Pokemon could handle? They have Guilds, but it only seems to be about 20-30 'Mons. Do you think they could handle governments and corporations?
>>
>>51782597
Don't forget about the entire clan of Kecleon that have pretty much spread across the entire world to engage in glorious capitalism. That's probably the largest known organization that has ever even been close to canon in the PMD world. Civilization seems kind of fledgling in general, as there are still so many villages and tribes and wildlings around. The most organization you're probably going to find at the current timelines are rescue federations or trade agreements.
>>
>>51782168
rules of nature
gotta follow laws of liiiife
>>
>>51766160
Well. Given an amount of time and an abundance of food (A way of farming) you eventually get towns but that does not answer the question. Pokemon civilizations would most likely reflect their placement, You'd find high mountain civilization created from rock or stone carved out by ground and rock pokemon to make way for their lives, water pokemon having a vast kingdom... but limited in many ways. Its very simple. You'd find major trade hub cities usually chalk full of the normal types and a good smathering of others depending on what's around.

I could see roads having been made depending on the placement. Buildings usually being made with a 'maximum body type' in mind first with accommodations for those who are smaller being made second. I imagine buildings have 'Half Floors' where the smaller, more minute take to living. You'll usually see this in Inns or the like. Most Pokemon have sentience I imagine as well... but its not broken up by species.

Pokemon who exist within the wild away from others for to long may slowly fall back into their...instincts one could say. Given time among others they may pick them back up... but there are 'mon who are born who are just always... gone. In fact that brings up an interesting campaign idea. More and more pokemon eggs are coming out wild and mindless, like animals. Something has to be causing it and such. Could be interesting.

...man I just meadered around really hard there.
>>
File: 1482025057027.jpg (276KB, 740x642px) Image search: [Google]
1482025057027.jpg
276KB, 740x642px
>>51782597
They seem smart enough to handle government, but I imagine trying to represent and standardize things for so many different body shapes and abilities would be a Darkrai tier logistical nightmare.

I'm picturing a kind of Council thing that consists of one Pokemon of each type that's meant to represent said type in political matters. So you've got your Pikachu and he's the guy you write to for Electric representation.

Imagine 18 political parties divided by type lines, not including those shifty dual typed guys you're never sure are on your side.
>>
>>51766160
First, one could assume that in a world where Pokemon are autonomous, they are also fully sentient, intelligent, and mostly capable of communicating with eachother. Things can be tweaked of course, especially the language thing, but otherwise it just becomes a mess.

With this in mind, every pokemon species would likely be able to understand the benefits of a "neutral" zone, where nobody tries to eat eachother and can conduct business in peace. The few who disagree are vastly outnumbered by the ones that do, so they either agree under threat of pissing off someone just as strong as them, or disagree and become outcasts.

A town of Pokemon would generally be tailored for what lived there. A big neutral town, however, would not have this luxury, and thus would likely be constructed as broadly accessible as possible. This means structures not tailored to certain species are built large instead of small, because an inconvenience to little guys is better than inaccessibility to the big guys, who are honestly the ones who require neutral zones in the first place.

Fortunately for pokemon, they have super-powers. A large rock can be forced out of the ground and hollowed out in probably under a week to make a large cave building.

As for who would put in the effort to do this? Aggron. Aggron is the magic key to making the Pokemon universe work for any setting. Aggron is outright stated to be very interested in conservation and ecosystem managment. Aggron has access to all of the important powers to literally poof a city into existence in under a month, and that's one Aggron. Imagine what a guild of them could accomplish.
In a world where Pokemon carve out lives for themselves, there is little reason to believe that some Aggron would see this as the natural order of things, and attempt to establish and maintain this ecosystem as they would any other.
>>
>>51784300
>some Aggron would see this
Should be wouldn't
>>
>>51783266

not 18 political parties, 18 seats, probably split between two or three parties, with atleast one party consisting primarily of dual-types, because there's a lot of dual-types out there, and they don't feel represented by single-type pokemon.
>>
>>51784300

sure but Aggron respect each other. The ones who didn't would just pick forest homes or whatever.

>>51784300

Actually, that's a fair point, there's a few pokemon who would do that shit. Conkeldurr, for example, is a civilising influence. I bet any forest-towns would pay out the fucking ass to get a sceptile to move in so the trees stay healthy, and desert towns would probably employ Numel and Camerupt as guides.
>>
You're not the first person to raise this topic. Terry Pratchett brought it up in Discworld years ago.

>The Law of Unequal Returns

>This is a growing point of contention among the larger races that reside in Ankh-Morpork, detailed in The Discworld Companion. The problem is this: there are many jobs in the city for which a gnome is equally (or in some cases more) competent, such as rat-catching (as detailed above) and watch-making, as their small hands make them ideal for performing intricate work. As money is generally paid for the amount of work done, gnomes are invariably paid the same for doing these jobs as a human or dwarf would. However, as a gnome is much smaller than a human or a dwarf, the money will stretch further. For example, a dollar might buy a loaf of bread. To a human or dwarf, that is two or three meals. To a gnome, the same loaf of bread is food for a week and can also be hollowed out to provide emergency accommodation. This disparate value of earnings is making many of the taller workers in the city angry, but at this point it is not known if any legislation has been or will be passed on the matter, or indeed if the matter has become anything more serious than a grumbling point.

There's also the ways different pokemon species are inevitably better suited to different jobs then others. Xatou are great at stakeouts or work long hours because of their ability to stay perfectly still and just watch for days on end. Fire types will be heating buildings as a career, grass types as berry farmers and psychic and dragon types will inevitably be the ones butting heads for leadership positions.

The effects would be noticeable, and probably contribute to a lot of the existing stereotypes between species. >>51766160
>>
>>51777516
Samson Oak is just his cousin.
>>
>>51788683
I think the heightened senses that vary from species to species would cause a lot of problems. A quiet house party for some loudred could be considered an act of anti-social behaviour for Zubat neighbours who would think it sounds akin to a jackhammer in the next room.
>>
File: 1377175468555.png (217KB, 560x683px) Image search: [Google]
1377175468555.png
217KB, 560x683px
>>51767189

>Ninetails
>A nine-tailed fox assumed to be extremely haughty and family-oriented
>Expect it to have that old-fashioned "ohohoho~" style of speech you'd expect from something like that

>Ninetails in the anime speaks
>It's high-pitched and girly
>>
File: smug 7.png (144KB, 284x247px) Image search: [Google]
smug 7.png
144KB, 284x247px
>>51790575

>in the anime
>as opposed to how it behaves in the pokemon mystery dungeon games, which this thread is based on

pls go
>>
>>51790843

Ninetails in the games is cute! CUTE!
>>
>>51767070
I would contradict you with gameplay and story segregation, but there are instances in stories where certain Pokemon do things that are very difficult for them to do. For example, at Waterfall Cave in Explorers of Sky, you and your partner jump through the waterfall to get into the cave. If either of those characters are Charmander, best case scenario is cold shock assuming that Charmander tails can reignite, and even then it's pretty stupid for a cryophobic creature to jump through a waterfall based on a vision you got suddenly tripping out.

>>51782597
Empires would be very difficult since the needs of many different species would lead to conflicts and instability. Small kingdoms, city-states, and nomadic tribes are realistic in this setting.
>>
>>51790575
Now I want a Ninetales with a scouse accent.
They can have the expected attitude, but that accent is now my headcanon.
>>
>>51766160
Pokemon's sentience and intelligence are a two variables function: Their type, and body shape. Clearly humanoid pokemon have bigger chance of sentience, others not so. Types from biggest chance to lowest are Psychic, Fighting, Dark, Dragon, Fairy, Ghost, others. Having this considered, species intelligence is still usually case by case study.

Levels and sudden evolutions are just made up bullshit for sake of game dev, and should be disregarded, with evolutions replaced by metamorphosis. Gender differences are also more prominent, as are personal characteristics of each pokemon. Egg laying is replaced by births, seeding or other methods of reproduction as it feels necessary.

Pokemon moves and ''abilities'' are also removed, and become innate skills and characteristics, based on what such pokemon should or should not be capable of doing, depending on their bodies and types.

In such setting we could see monospecies civilizations, as well as melting pots, made up of sentient pokemon and thier domesticated helpers. Berry growing would be biggest, but no only source of food, since other branches of agriculture, hunting and edible farm 'mon could be eaten too.

My favorite headcanon for such setting is late Renaissance, with sprouting mechanization and first global powers emerging from chaos, complete together with fine arts, grandeur architecture and vast written lore about times long past. Merchants, inventors, princes and princesses, flamebarfers for hire, anything goes.

We really need 16+ PMD, don't we?
>>
>>51791026
I'd love to have some sort of PMD MMO, if that was possible.
>>
File: vpmd-1.png (3MB, 840x6000px) Image search: [Google]
vpmd-1.png
3MB, 840x6000px
>>51791026
There are a lot of fan projects that delve into, alter, or expand the universe of PMD. There's a lot of theories and speculations that try to fill in the gaps of canon.

There's a thread almost every night at 7pm where OP uses figures and a whiteboard to create an adventure where anons suggest actions. Pic related
Rest of the album here:
https://imgur.com/a/7TfUl
>>
>>51791002

>Overbearing Liverpool fox mom

Anon no.
>>
>>51791130
>PMD MMO
MMOs usually have shit plotlines
And while PMD ain't no Bitcher, I still prefer kid's evening stories over Destiny
>>
>>51791026

>Pokemon's sentience and intelligence are a two variables function.

No.

All pokemon are sapient.
>>
>>51791159
>>Pokemon's sentience and intelligence are a two variables function.
>
>No.
>
>All pokemon are sapient.
In animu. And in PMD
>>
>>51791171
We're talking about a PMD society. If we go by the games, then the only sapient ones are maybe some of the Legendaries.
>>
>>51767310
Anon, you need to understand, /tg/ is what /tg/ wants to be. We talk about whatever is our choice to talk about.
>>
>>51791184
and few of the normal ones

but remind, that we're talking about Pokeciv, and not strictly PMD2.0
In my setting there would be few pokemon sapient, bunch more sentient, and rest at animal/toddler tier mental capabilities.
>>
>>51791155
It wouldn't be for the story, more for interacting with other characters and roleplaying, but those usually have shit communities too.

I can imagine it now - One player being an asshole garchomp stealing some clefairy's doll, the rescue team assembling to go take it back, things looking whimsical, campy and perfect, and then that one faggot munchlax constantly talking about his bowel movements and how much he needs to shit mid-dungeon before attempting to describe just how much of a dump he took in the middle of the floor.
>>
>>51791317
Eeexactly
>>
>>51791298
A lot of the starters seem to be intelligent, especially the fighting ones. Lucario has a mental bond with his owner through chi or something, IIRC, so we can assume they can talk telepathically or something.
>>
>>51791377
Like I said, case by case study. Maybe even for individuals, to outline some gifted individuals.
>>
File: mbPDZ94[1].jpg (121KB, 1206x820px) Image search: [Google]
mbPDZ94[1].jpg
121KB, 1206x820px
>>51766160

Pokemon religions...what kind of religions would spring up? if there are presumably literal god pokemons active then presumably there would sects of pokemon deticating themselves to them no?
>>
>>51791377
What makes you think they're intelligent? I figured Lucario's bond was like a dog and his boy.
>>
>>51791408
The only active Legendaries are the minor ones that can be compared to Local Legends or Shinto spirits.
>>
>>51791408
I would presume that, broadly speaking, Pokemon would either worship Arceus, or a derivative of it, or a high-ranking Legendary/Mythical that pertains to their goals and their challenges. Warrior Pokemon might revere Victini, while Pokemon who use the sea might worship Kyogre, and make offerings to drive off storms.

I imagine practices would largely be held as they are in epic greek stories, where the gods would occasionally just show up at people's homes for whatever reason.
>>
>>51790983

Have you played Red Rescue Team? Ever?
>>
>>51791408

pretty sure humans didn't make regigigas... it's noted as having "towed continents with ropes" and not much else. It's the Colossal Pokemon. It would be better placed under Groudon's Domain. The rest all looks good, though.

How do you justify mewtwo and genesect in a world without humans though? Where do the gen six and seven legendaries fit into this chart? Someone needs to update this.

Also, I feel like we should consider that different legendaries are from different places. The legendary pokemon Kyogre clearly has domain over Hoenn, but Lugia seems to have dominion over the seas in Kanto- I think of them as closer to a series of protectors who watch over the land, or possibly, if you're going darker and more animalistic, some of them might simply be super-predators that have a huge swath of land that they've claimed, and within that land they might choose any number of ways to interact with any given pokemon they choose to interact with- from killing and eating them to aiding them.
>>
>>51792403
Pokemon once shared this world with mysterious creatures called Humans, but that was a long time ago.
>>
File: 1486695352155.jpg (54KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1486695352155.jpg
54KB, 400x400px
What I don't like about Pokemon is it has this thing where all Pokemon are inherently good. The problem with that is what is "good"? Nature gives no fucks about morality. In real life, alpha male lions kill the cubs of other males in their pride. Pokemon definitely has predator-prey relationships. Prey would regard its predators as bad. There's also competition.
As far as legendaries, I prefer to have a more grey/gray interpretation of them. In my headcanon, Victini is kinda like an avatar of liberation, rebellion, and victory; but is also a perpetuator of war and ultimately does not try to break the cycle of oppression. Darkrai is an asshole manipulator who brings visions that may bring deception, truth, or inspiration, but he favors those with strong wills and great curiosity.
I also wonder how humans can survive around Pokemon. Maybe those humans are physically superior to us.
>>
>>51796657
Actually, Meowth is straight evil. He wants to capture Pokemon for Team Rocket and he knows exactly what is going to happen to them. Technically, he is still a wild Pokemon because neither Jesse or James can actually say he belongs to either of them.

In PMD, they do mention the predation thing, if as a joke. There's a team consisting of a bird and a bug Pokemon, and the bug is worried he'll get eaten by the partner.
>>
>>51796785
I would also add that some Pokemon are harder to train than others. The way I see it, badges are more like enhancements to your trainer license that say "you can train X tier of docility of Pokemon". Dragons would usually be the hardest, and thus require a lot of badges to gain approval to keep. Gameplaywise, they require high levels to evolve, have high overall base stats, and show up in the later areas.

To answer the last question that I had, I think that human survival was secured thanks to their intelligence and charisma. Wits and power can only do so much when your enemy has many allies of different abilities.
>>
File: 1462910496903.jpg (291KB, 850x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1462910496903.jpg
291KB, 850x1100px
>>51796657
>Maybe those humans are physically superior to us

They are. In the main series, humans commonly have supernatural abilities. Psychics and channellers exist, as do people that can use the same Aura that Lucario does.

A few Gym Leaders exemplify this. Sabrina is telekinetic like most psychics, and can see glimpses of the future, while Chuck can throw a boulder it takes a Pokemon with the move Strength to budge. Before Pokeballs were invented Drayden used to wrestle Dragon types into submission, and one of Skyla's gym puzzles involves launching the player of a cannon. Professor Kukui studies Pokemon moves by letting them attack him. Pokeverse humans are nuts.
>>
>>51797292
To be fair the aura seems pretty much limited to Riley. Even in Pokemon, it's uncommon to use any aura besides maybe Focus Blast.
>>
>>51796657
Lots of wild Pokemon are dangerous or assholes, all Pokemon aren't inherently good at all. Just look at any ghost dex.
>>
>>51766160
By having all the stronger pokemon rape the weaker pokemon of course. Honestly, I can't get any further than that. You know it would happen. I see no way at all for a setting like that not to be outrageously lewd.
>>
>>51796958
Isn't it also mentioned and/or implied that wild Pokemon will throw themselves at Trainers because Pokemon trained by humans get stronger than they ever could in the wild, and when they attack you in tall grass they're trying to see if you're strong enough to train them?
>>
File: ef5.jpg (73KB, 896x1180px) Image search: [Google]
ef5.jpg
73KB, 896x1180px
I really don't know how advanced I can imagine Pokemon getting. They feel so tied down to their powers, in an even more exaggerated way than Dwarves and Elves are.

I can imagine a decent sized Pokemon city, something almost out of high-fantasy, but not full on kingdoms and competing trade groups.
>>
>>51798908
There would be guilds, though, and given how communication systems are usually by bird, it is possible to form interpolis organizations. The communities would have citizens that are specialized like insects, though. I think the consequences would be that there would exist a caste system that pressures individuals to limit themselves in their career choices, which makes some sense, since a Camerupt is not going to be a sailor, air courier, or underwater scavenger.
>>
>>51766160
Of all the Types, I'd argue the Normals would have the best chance of forming any large-scale civilization, based on a few factors:

>1. They're the second most numerous, with Water just ahead but far more limited in environment. Most Water-types are fully aquatic, and the vast majority of those that aren't are semiaquatic. Add to this the sheer number of them which would be operating in the open ocean with nowhere to put any infrastructure, and the Normals have a much better shot at building up.

>2. Normals can be found just about ANYWHERE. It doesn't have to be super-wet or super-hot or super-cold or super-high for them to be someplace, they can just sort of get by in any locale.

>3. Normals are arguably the most fecund of the lot, giving them the weight of numbers over everyone except maybe Bugs.

>4. Immunity to Ghosts and the fact that their only weakness is to Fighting means that while Normals can't hit anyone super-hard, their only hard-counters are the sort of honorable 1v1 battlers who have no interest in actual full-scale war.

>5. While most Normals are weak, they have certain outliers who'd be incredibly suited to leadership or general roles, as well as the best healiers in the business. Kangaskhan, Ursaring, Snorlax, Lopunny, Chansey/Blissey, Audino, Miltank - and those are just the purebloods. Adding half-breeds gets you Bewear, ALL of the Normal/Flyings, Sawsbuck, Pyroar, Heliolisk, etc.

On that last one, let's compare the others most likely to produce leaders.

>Psychics: Too antisocial, all too likely to consider themselves "too enlightened," the screwy little hermits.
>Dragons: Too tyrannical, too aggressive, too territorial, no capacity for cooperation.
>Fightings: Great fighters, no patience for leading in peacetime. Get bored when there's nothing to punch.

Other mainly-unrelated things to come in the next post.
>>
>>51799190
>1. Flyings have no pure-bloods save for a single Legendary, so they're probably neutral couriers between the kingdoms or city-states or what have you. This counters their position in point 5 about Normals having the largest civilizations, but Bewear et al still remain. Flying cities look like treehouse post-offices writ large, most likely.

>2. It probably sucks to be Dark or Ghost. ESPECIALLY Ghost - the only right the dead have in most societies is the right to burial in a grave that will not be disturbed. Dark-types, on the other hand, probably have a bad reputation as dirty fighters, and the fact that Dark contains the only Pokemon species which are downright evil in GENERAL (Spiritomb and Malamar) as well as the one known (mistakenly) as an ill omen (Absol) is not going to help them any. Most criminal groups will consist primarily of these two types by sheer necessity.

>3. It's not much better being a Poison-type. You're one of the weakest and least numerous Types, many of your "kin" consider themselves Bugs first and foremost, and some of your number are literally born from waste of various kinds. You're either an assassin for some rich Dragon or Normal, or you're an outlaw of some stripe. IT SUCKS BEING A POISON-TYPE.

>4. Being Bug is only slightly less suffering, and that's mostly because you only have to share most of your living space with the Grass-types, and they fear your power.
>>
>>51797668
As far as I know that just sounds like something someone pulled out of there ass
>>51799190
There's really no reason "pokemon society" would draw lines along types. Similar species might flock together (egg groups maybe?), but I'd argue the one that are both social and tool using would pretty much run the show.
>>
File: Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres.jpg (114KB, 732x760px) Image search: [Google]
Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres.jpg
114KB, 732x760px
My group did a similar thing, but with gijinka pokemon (ie. humans with metaphysical "types," elemental powers, and personal "evolution" based on self-knowledge and attainment).

Each pokemon type had its own kingdom on a big continent, and the setting level was typical high fantasy medieval.
>>
>>51799364
>social tool-users

Aye, that's true. And most of those are going to be Normal-type, because most other types either aren't numerous enough to form the backbone of even a kingdom with the land area of modern Germany, are restricted to too specific an environment to do this globally, are too bad at cooperating to do it, or more than one of the above.

Ice-types would be capable of it if they could live comfortably anywhere beyond high mountain ranges or the poles. Water-types would be even better at it if the vast majority of them weren't in the open ocean. Dragons would make great leaders if nine out of every ten didn't attack anything that approached their lairs on sight.

Each Pokemon species has a particular character, and it just happens that the Normal type is the type with the largest number of Pokemon that are opportunistic and fertile enough to live and breed all over the world, cooperative enough to build a multitude of villages, towns, and cities together, and worldly enough to have an interest in keeping it all together.

You'll also note that it was never said the other types couldn't civilize - just not on a large scale, because a good number of the other Types have very restrictive habitat requirements.

Torkoal has to keep eating flammable material to stay alive. Vanillite has to stay somewhere below freezing. Gyarados has to live in deep water. Sandshrew needs to be in the desert. The list goes on.
>>
>>51801165
You're too austere towards psychics. Few of them really are unsociable, but rest should have no problems with socializing, and their psychic abilities might come handy in creating an empire, or breeding to hell and back.
>>
>>51799190
I consider types to be a gameplay thing. I also have a different interpretation on weakness/resistance. For example: if Sceptile uses Leaf Blade on a Swampert, the Swampert would have a normal wound plus residual damage from the grassiness; Charizard would have a would, but no extra damage; Golem would probably take more damage from it than a claw, but it would only leave a dent at best.

I categorize harmony based on symbiosis and egg-groups. Egg groups are not perfect (Zangoose and Seviper can interbreed), but they're a decent rule-of-thumb like types.

Depending on species there would be different civilizations. Klinklangs would be a socialist union that produces power for some civilizations in exchange for protection and knowledge. Other species are probably more open-minded as far as government and economics, though.
>>
>>51801165
Speaking of which, what type would humans be? I would categorize humans into 4 types:
Fighting if the human practices martial arts and fitness regularly. (Fighter)
Psychic if the human possesses or has acquired psychic prowess beyond weak telekinesis and vague telepathy. (Mage)
Dark if the human is skilled in stealth, deception, and is morally lax. (Rogue)
Normal is everything else, ranging from mundane citizen jobs to intellectual careers to being a worthless ass.
>>
>>51802833
Humans are like eevees, but without actually evolving. They change radically based on the lives they live, and can therefore be any type or combination of types.
>>
File: e4d5770d0f4b3c06deb4f14ca7f4580a.jpg (739KB, 780x1080px) Image search: [Google]
e4d5770d0f4b3c06deb4f14ca7f4580a.jpg
739KB, 780x1080px
Our Mystery Dungeon setting was like some distant post-apocalyptic bullshit. Like thousands of years after humanity disappeared off the earth, and none of the Pokemon remember/know humans even existed besides legendary Pokemon that are so distant from the average Pokemon, or the few "researcher" Pokemon that study old ruins and shit.

Since humanity just disappeared leaving most of their shit, it left a lot of their buildings and infrastructure behind, which worked great for exploration fodder. You could have one dungeon be something simple like an old abandoned supermarket, while another being an abandoned hospital with a ton of Chansey and Audino, along with some of the more traditional PMD things like caves and forests. Some Pokemon also adapted old buildings for themselves, by turning them into markets or houses for themselves.

It drove a lot of the missions too, like the researcher Pokemon giving missions like "Hey, bring back this thing from those ruins so we can study it and figure out just what happened to that old civilization."

It was a fun setting, and one I'd like to revisit again with a new group, but I've got my hands tied up in other campaigns for the moment.
>>
>>51804923
How do you work in artificial Pokemon? I wonder of the unaging ones such as Golurk know anything interesting, perhaps some secrets.
>>
>>51805888
>How do you work in artificial Pokemon?
Pretty simply. Either made by one of the more intelligent Pokemon that have access to the tools to make them, or they're found pretty prevalent in ruins of human civilization.

Does Mewtwo count as artificial? One of our sessions took the party to an abandoned military base where they fought against a Mewtwo they accidentally awakened.

>I wonder of the unaging ones such as Golurk know anything interesting, perhaps some secrets.
It came up. A lot of the millennia-old Pokemon that weren't legendary only had sparse memories from the era of humans, as it would have been ages since then, but if they had contact with humans, they each had their own opinions about them or what happened to them, with some even having anecdotes about their experiences with them.

For example, the Mewtwo had fond memories of the scientists that used to take care of it. It was kind of a naive thing, so it just assumed the scientists all went off to the store or went on vacation or something, completely oblivious to how much time had actually been passing due to extended periods of hibernation and a general naive nature.

The party even tried to get it to come with them and join the Exploration Society, but it wanted to stay back at the base so the humans won't worry that it was missing when they got back, despite it being thousands of years since the humans disappeared.
>>
>>51805888
As a general rule, I assume most PMD-like settings are post-human. I have tried to make one a human-free zone, but it got awkward.

I vary a bit by Pokemon, but in general:
Ghosts that "possess" things I assume either find stockpiles of said thing, find natural equivalents, or make it a major drive of that species to start up manufacture of said items. One time I did have a leek Honedge, wielded by a 2edgy4u Farfetch'd, but that was mostly just a joke.

Living objects with googly eyes are basically leftovers from the human era. I've tried to come up with ways a more current population can form, but haven't had much success making it seem convincing. I have run Apricorn Voltorb/Electrode before, that one worked okay. I have run with Magnemite being able to charge a chunk of metal with sufficient electricity to jolt it to life, but that one felt odd. Sludge and garbage can be fairly easily produced by Pokemon societies as much as human ones, so is no biggie.

I have made a Porygon that was a dimensional traveler, but my favorite adaptation was that Porygon are Pokemon that were left in the PC when the apocalypse hit, and adapted over the millennia.

The Metagross line I have basically headcannoned that they are capable of machining metal into functional bodies, and capable of both programming the sentience and "jump starting" the body with excess electromagnetism. They already "evolve" by conjoining their bodies and modifying them, so I didn't think it was too much of a stretch.
>>
>>51774435
oh
oh that's sad
ok
I'm just gonna
>when you suddenly remember that plush doggo you had as a kid and abandoned when you started middle school
OH GOD I'M SO SORRY
>>
File: 1426288040870.jpg (53KB, 500x356px) Image search: [Google]
1426288040870.jpg
53KB, 500x356px
>>51806995
>tfw lost some plush doggo in a furniture store and never got it back
Still salty 20 years later.
>>
>>51807050
god just imagine all the Banette that would exist if that happened
I'd probably come home to find one staring at me from the stairs, having crawled out of it's storage box from the attic
if that happened I think I'd hug it and talk to it and apologize, so much apologizing
>>
>>51807116
and by that I mean "pokemon being real and Banette existing"
>>
File: 1399586657318.jpg (775KB, 1480x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1399586657318.jpg
775KB, 1480x1000px
>>51806995
Banette has such great potential as a concept.
>>
>>51808032
it's god damn horrifying is what it is.
I'd still hug it once I found out
>>
So has anyone come up with their own custom guild and exploration groups?
>>
>>51808032
Ain't that some conception?
>>
File: the importance of a child's toy.jpg (588KB, 1344x1342px) Image search: [Google]
the importance of a child's toy.jpg
588KB, 1344x1342px
>>51806995
>>
>>51806311
Makes sense in your setting, though I wonder how it makes sense in the canon. Gollets and Golurks are ancient human inventions.

>>51806788
I thought that Magnemites were natural and reproduced asexually via budding underdeveloped baby Magnemites. Pretty much the same with Metagross.
Porygon actually makes some sense as a dimensional traveler.
>>
Is it better for legendaries to be present on the earth as leaders or to be absent and worshiped as deities?
>>
File: image.gif (943KB, 499x374px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
943KB, 499x374px
Sweet, these threads,
>>
>>51812701
Half way for me.

Kind of like the anime "deities" in that they are strong and you should listen to them, but not too high that you can't punch most of them.
>>
>>51812701
Little bit of both.

lake trio= hidden while legendary birds= out and about.

darkrai and cheesecake get a dual religion attributed to them while the eon pair just fly around while doing nothing in particular.
>>
File: 1480984589704.jpg (1MB, 891x5060px) Image search: [Google]
1480984589704.jpg
1MB, 891x5060px
>>51813702
The Eon Duo are defenders of peace and happiness.
>>
>>51766855
The Pokedex is also compiled by ten year olds doing field research for free, so you shouldn't take it at face value. If something in it sounds like an exaggeration it probably is written by some excitable kid gushing about his favorite.
>>
File: image.jpg (112KB, 500x446px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112KB, 500x446px
Does anyone have a paticular story of a character in this universe? Always open for ears.
>>
>>51812243
>passive-aggresive level fucking infinite
>>
>>51790993
>Charmander tails can reignite
long time answer, but if you take pokedex at face value, it's much better to assume that implication here is (it dies)=>(tail goes out forever) than the other way. Especially since if the reverse was true, any fight with anything could easily end up in being six feet under.
>>
>>51815383
There is literally nothing that suggests that the trainers write these entries themselves.
>>
>>51767144
The size of routes, and hell the towns and cities themselves, are an abstraction due to limits of hardware. You can see them start to flex the muscles with the newer generations.
>>
>>51815882
I've always wanted to rewrite things, but I am not a writer. In Explorers, I would like to know what happens in the alternate timeline. I imagine a lot changes and things really fall apart.
>>
>>51816883
Yeah, in anime/manga cities at least are actual cities.
Now if there only was N's hardware powerful enough to offer decent gameplay with Bitcher 3 tier world design...
>>
>>51818118
Pokemon is meant to be a kid's journey, so the world is never going to be that massive or isolated. Even the most rural Pokemon games still have a very domesticated tone.
>>
>>51819722
>Pokemon is meant to be a kid's journey, so the world is never going to be that massive or isolated.

>kid's journey
>world is never going to be that massive or isolated.
And that's why we have 75% of problems with world we have today
>>
>>51819767
You realize that a kid's journey these days means a larger space and setting than it ever possibly could before, right? The mere invention of cars and trains turned a kid's journey into something exponentially more expansive.
>>
>>51819849
are we on the same page?
>>
>>51819859
A kid's world in the past was maybe a couple miles, and that's it. We're not talking a Hero's Journey, we're talking a kid's journey. They're too different things, taking place in two different spheres.
>>
>>51819887
>A kid's world in the past was maybe a couple miles, and that's it.
Depends where. If you were in Scouts, it could be much more. Same if you actively looked for fun things to do, or been reasonable enough to be entrusted with some means transportation.
and world is fucking massive and isolated
>>
File: 1469687808020.gif (449KB, 500x354px) Image search: [Google]
1469687808020.gif
449KB, 500x354px
>>51766418
>tfw bloated and powerful Geodude Workers Union holding all public works hostage for even higher pay
>>
>>51820036
The Boy Scouts have only been around since the 1910s, Anon. That's really recent, and most long distance trips were just to the next town over (although incredibly rarely, sometimes they'd go over a full state.) That's still not very big compared to where an adult could go even hundreds of years ago.
>>
>>51820188
But Pokemon don't come from 19th century. They were made by dude who's now around sixty. You don't spend now your youth doing nothing because you don't have means to, but because you are lazy.

And, by lord, there's no reason to shelter kids from rest of the world.
It exists, and they need to be prepared for it.
>>
>>51820296
Anon, kid's journeys being a short distance has nothing to do with your sheltering kids bullshit old man rant. The fact that a child generally won't bike to the other end of a nation is just a part of life.
>>
>>51820093
Can't they just throw, kick, or piss on them? They're fucking cobbles that die to fucking bubbles.
>>
>>51813702
>Darkrai and Cheesecake
>Cheesecake

I don't know if you should be having those kinds of thoughts about Cresselia. And yes, in /that other/ context, too, it's rather strange either way.
>>
>>51822262
And Gurdurr and Conkledurr can kick the shit out of them AND get stuff built as well.
>>
>>51766160
Would PMd fit in a modern or sci-fi setting?
>>
>>51827591
A modern one sure, that's what Pokemon is. They'd just be small modern towns, not big skyscraper cities. Sci-fi would be harder to accept, there might be too much to take in at once.
>>
bop
>>
>>51822262

I think the bubbles are supposed to explode or something? The damage from the attack could come from a change in pressure maybe? Also bubble has a chance of slowing, so I guess they either stick to the opponent and are thick/heavy enough to impede movement, or they're large and durable enough to trap the opponent inside for a few seconds.

Actually, how does bubblebeam work? Do the bubbles reflect light into a laser somehow? Do the lasers come from the bubbles like options or bit lasers, or is it just a beam with bubbles around it that don't really do anything?
>>
>>51766572
Millions of years old ancient pokemon like kabutops disprove that shit theory.
>>
I have a question, is Super Mysterious Dungeon good? I started playing it a couple of weeks ago and while I liked some of the dialogue, the first lot of levels dragged on.
>>
>>51815882
>Always open for ears
I mean, I guess

https://archiveofourown.org/works/7309726
>>
>>51816146
At worst it would probably hurt like a bitch for it to happen.
>>
>>51791140
Holy fuck is that tepig thirsty.
>>
>Be a voltrob
>can only roll around and shock/explode

It's be awkward to play as a pokemon without "hands" (unless it has psychic powers).
>>
>>51782168
>>51782249
>>51782423
>>51782740

What's worse is that the regular Purple Grimer and Muk population is decreasing, from environmental laws and cleaner energy sources, to the point where some Professors and Scientists believe they might very well go extinct, and the only thing remaining are the Alolan variants.
>>
>>51836307
You can bring any pokemon back from the brink with a sufficient number of Ditto.
>>
What really makes me question the tech development of the pokemon world would have to be the existence of Electric type pokemon.

So we have a pokemon like Pikachu providing humans with electricity before the first alkaline battery.
>>
File: vpmd.png (830KB, 676x851px) Image search: [Google]
vpmd.png
830KB, 676x851px
>>51833307
>>
>>51833202
It's got some of the best gameplay in the series, the story not so much
>>
File: 1442489139849.png (783KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1442489139849.png
783KB, 800x800px
>>51766160
I've been pondering running a PMD game for a long time, and have been considering the idea that Pokémon in societies like you see in the games are "uplifted" in some way. I haven't determined what exactly would have caused it, but Pokémon who aren't a part of these societies (i.e. the ones in Mystery Dungeons) always act feral compared to the NPCs you talk to. While every enemy in a dungeon attacking you is probably just a gameplay mechanic, we also know that humans exist in the PMD worlds, and the Pokémon in human areas also act similarly feral, not being able to build any societies or anything like that, so it wouldn't be crazy to fluff these two things combined as the NPCs in PMD being exceptions, intelligence-wise. I'd go a step beyond and say an uplifted Pokémon spending too much time in a Mystery Dungeon or venturing too close to human society begins to regress in intelligence unless brought back to society. The scarves Rescue Teams traditionally wear have some property that mitigates or nullifies the effects of that, which is why the existence of guilds is so important; they provide protection from the effects of the outside by providing those scarves and assisting non-explorers who need to travel outside the city.

This may violate "Master Mode" of OP's request since it's not the most child-friendly (children could handle it of course but I don't think Nintendo would allow Chunsoft to add it in a game), but I'd just go ahead and say these feral Pokémon are fair game for the sapient predator species. They make sure they hunt far off from the towns to lessen the awkwardness of someone seeing a feral version of their own species get killed for food, and everyone in these societies has accepted it. Either that or they just eat berries as another anon suggested.

[1/2]
>>
File: 1485020089237.jpg (250KB, 1200x848px) Image search: [Google]
1485020089237.jpg
250KB, 1200x848px
>>51766160
>>51839434
[2/2]
All the towns we've seen in the games just use normal dirt roads. There exists a Pokémon line who specifically builds things like houses (the Timburr line), and other Fighting-types did the labor fine enough in the games before their introduction, like when the Mankeys build your house in the original game (I think it was Mankeys, it's been a while since I last played it), so I imagine most construction woulud be done by said type. I can't think of any species in particular, besides Water-types who can't travel to land, that would complicate the construction of roads, what did you have in mind?

>Also, why doesn't any Pokemon in Mystery Dungeon use tools or weapons?
Ignoring the ones that canonically use those in the main games like Marowak, Farfetch'd, and the aforementioned Timburr line, they probably do use tools for everyday use, we just don't see it in the games because it's an unimportant detail to exploring. Using human weapons like guns would be kind of weird, but other than a couple abandoned ruins we've never visited any human civilizations, so it's probably very unlikely for anyone to find said weapons.
>>
>>51767109
Gastly also mentions Indian elephants in FireRed, I think. That's why it became a meme, two random mentions of Indian elephants out of nowhere in the same game (FireRed is the first game where Raichu's Dex mentions them).
>>
>>51791728
Lucario seemed pretty intelligent in that one movie, but then there are ones that don't display that at all, like the Lucario raised by that one really incompetent trainer who beat Ash in a 6v5 battle via fiat in the Unova League and pissed off the entirety of the anime's fanbase (or the entirety of the people who didn't drop it years ago after realizing it was stagnant as hell and would never become not stagnant). It seems to vary even within specific canons.
>>
>>51817864
I assume you've played the special episodes in Sky where the universe doesn't disappear after all, right?
>>
bum
>>
>>51836710
I think there's a hidden base in Gold and Silver powered entirely by Voltorbs.
>>
>>51791728
They know kung-fu.
>>
>>51766204
Is there another PDF or specific book to go with this? Character creation references a "Corebook" but isn't specific as to what book that is. Some version of DnD?
>>
>>51843250
Look up 'Pokerole'

http://pokeroleproject.wixsite.com/pokerole
>>
>>51839434
>>51839457
Humans exist in the PMD world? Explorers and Super seemed ambiguous as far as where you were actually from and in RT and Gates you were implied to be from another world.

As far as weapons, it depends on how resourceful the Pokemon is, their innate abilities, and their affinity for tools. Scythers cannot use tools due to having no digits and swords would be considered redundant for them anyways. Marowak on the other hand may take interest in maces, boomerangs, and wands, but values its bone club for traditional or sentimental reasons.

The diversity in philosophy and interests would also result in conflict. I like to categorize Pokemon in traditional "classes". Lucario, for example, would be like a monk, paladin, fighter; or perhaps a barbarian, wizard, or shaman in rare cases. Delphox would be a sorcerer, wizard, warlock, psychic, shaman, and maybe even a bard, but they're certainly no fighters.
>>
>>51771256
You do realize there's lots of stuff on earth itself that's hotter than the surface of the sun right?

Thermite for example
>>
>>51840373

I know in the special episode where Grovyle and Dusknoir prevent Dialga from trying to thwart the world-saving. What I am talking about is the first timeline where your partner never met you and nobody saved the world from the Time Crisis. What happened to the Wigglytuff Guild? Where did Grovyle and Dusknoir come from? Where did you come from? What happened to your partner?

>>51845902
So are the bubbles from pistol shrimps, but in both cases those high temperature effects are brief. This is constant temperature from several slugma in a given area. They would not be approachable.
>>
With the introduction of ultra beasts, I wonder just how much impact they would have in a PMD world.
>>
>>51849357
>Reports of Pokemon going postal. Missions involving subduing those Pokemon and taking them to treatment.
>Captain Zika and Sanic Roach are rumors until you fight one yourself. S-she(?)'s fast!
>Noises cause Pokemon to evacuate areas. Those evacuated areas often become physically decimated and look like things've been bitten off. If this was a game, all the Pokemon evacuate out of fear and no one gets hurt.
>You and your partner become stranded in Ultra Space.
>You close the rift, but everyone but you makes it out in time. Sadness.
>Post-game becomes a dilemma between opening the rift or leaving you. They later find out that you are actually existing in both worlds in a weird way because you are actually trapped in the rift itself. The rift contains some weird shit that you fight and explore through, and also some sort of secret.
>Detain all the Ultra Beasts who chose to stay behind. Law enforcement and the guild find them benign and allow you to recruit them.
>>
File: 1478476707238.jpg (39KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1478476707238.jpg
39KB, 500x500px
>>51791408
>Palkia is space, as in dimensional space
>Deoxys is assigned to it because "alien = outer space"
>>
>>51849357
We already have strange, non-Pokémon lifeforms as final bosses in the two most recent games. I don't see Ultra Beasts being out of place when those are a thing.
>>
File: 1p.png (123KB, 592x454px) Image search: [Google]
1p.png
123KB, 592x454px
>>
So how is PTU and Pokerole?
>>
>>51816292
>Magcargo is hotter than the surface of the sun
>loads of other ridiculous shit like that example
someone post the picture, I don't have it saved.
>>
>>51791026

PMD Renaissance would be dope.

Pic somewhat related
>>
File: 1485616727072.png (279KB, 1087x1067px) Image search: [Google]
1485616727072.png
279KB, 1087x1067px
>>51860489
PTU is kind of convoluted. Really crunch-heavy and the balance is a bit messed up, especially at lower levels (it's been described as rocket tag before). I enjoy playing the system a lot, but it's a nightmare for my GM when he tries balancing encounters. Our most recent campaign (regular trainers, not a PMD campaign, set in a low fantasy medeival era) started with our secluded hometown getting hit by a freak storm, later found to be caused by a Legendary passing through, and while the town holed up in a large basement we got attacked by regular old Rattata and a single Raticate boss. It was supposed to just be a quick warm-up encounter to try and get the player characters used to one another and such. Ended up being a grueling gauntlet where the players and their Level 5 starters got pushed to their limits trying to keep the rats from killing any of the townsfolk. Had to run out into the storm and gather supplies from other buildings to heal up and everything.

It ended up changing the intended tone of the campaign to something harsher, probably for the better since it made the players care more about their characters, but they were just Level 2-4 Rattata. It felt like that one greentext about the Level 0 characters clearing rats out of a cellar. Meanwhile bosses that outleveled our party and had double HP and special buffs that made them immune to status conditions (this is a houserule we made because of an earlier campaign where the party would put the boss to sleep, buff up, and then unload everything at once) would get wiped off the map in two turns. I heard they cancelled the planned 1.06 so they could focus on a 2.0 that would simplify and rehaul the entire ruleset since this is a common experience with the system.

Overall, it's useable but it's janky.

Never tried Pokérole.
>>
>>51860489
PTU is all over the place.
It's quite crunchy, which is fine by me, but I feel it suffers from a lack of a coherent and consistent design philosophy, which results in gameplay that's very much hit-or-miss. In its defense, it's definitely somewhat of a work in progress, and the devs seem to at least try to work on it.

I did have fun with it though. I haven't touched any alternatives, so I don't know how it stacks up to them.
Thread posts: 195
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.