[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>DM: "Alright, you walk into the Pub. Everyone is drinking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 337
Thread images: 37

File: o-JAMES-HOLMES-570[1].jpg (170KB, 570x711px) Image search: [Google]
o-JAMES-HOLMES-570[1].jpg
170KB, 570x711px
>DM: "Alright, you walk into the Pub. Everyone is drinking and having merriment, the Minotaur is serving up large dark stouts, and the Kobold is playing some relaxing music on his lute"
>the Minotaur is serving up large dark stouts, and the Kobold is playing some relaxing music on his lute

Oh, so it's gonna be one of THOSE settings.
>>
>GM says "okay, you you're in a hamlet and there are rumors of a dungeon nearby, and-"

Oh, so it's gonna be one of THOSE settings.
>>
What? Never heard of establishment run by a happy couple?
>>
You mean one where there are more than the core races and they're not constantly trying to kill each other?
>>
>>51763179
I can't stand faggots that do this. Project their bullshit liberal fantasies where every fucking sentient species in the fucking book is in one big tavern and are all magically okay with each-other. Even in the Monster Manuals it says if they absolutely despise another race.

Completely eradicates any sense of immersion I had.
>>
>The ranger just started a stampede at the City Patron's stable that's running over their lawn and the barbarian just used one of the horses as a battering ram to break in the front door. While the swashbuckler and the Captain he's trying to leave just crit failed at each other first round and threw their weapons into the water. The beguiler somehow blew up the weapons shop. It's been 20 min into the first session.

Oh, so it's going to be one of THO- wait what?
>>
File: deer_armor_by_i_am_knot-d9shbmc.png (4MB, 3012x2500px) Image search: [Google]
deer_armor_by_i_am_knot-d9shbmc.png
4MB, 3012x2500px
I do this all the time in SciFi. I just love scenes like the iconic Cantina in Star Wars.
>>
>>51763276
Do Kobolds and Minotaurs hate each other or do you just want everything to be war all the time?
>>
>>51763326

Sounds like he wants Aryan to be a distinct race and a the end game to be Lebensraum.
>>
>>51763179
How did you even get to this point in the game without being aware that it wasn't just muh no-magic humies?
>>
>>51763358
dungeons and dachau
>>
>>51763358
there is nothing unacceptable with that post either accept that people have different views or go back to tumblr.
>>
>>51763399
I mean. "You enter a pub/tavern" is a pretty common, if cliche, opener. Especially if you're starting an adventure where the PCs are already together.
>>
>>51763326
Minotaurs are unintelligent guardians used typically by sorcerers and wizards to protect assets.

Kobolds are thieves and worship satan.

Even if you're running a different setting, making them re-skinned people is boring, stupid, and pointless if they have no culture or heritage beside their personality. Which is typically what I find most in campaigns like that. Shallow and tacky quests without any semblance of originality. Also, they may or may not be furfaggots.
>>
>>51763418
I was mostly wondering how you get through character creation without knowing what the most common ""civilized"" races are.
>>
>>51763443

Honestly that's never come up in games I've played. At least in Character creation. Info like that was usually left for us to ask for in game paired with knowledge roles outside of sparse general setting info.
>>
>>51763429
Ahh, so you follow the idea that races a crutch when it comes to RP.

I'd almost agree with you but being a tiny lizard person is inherently different from being a tiny person, even if you have essentially the same culture.
Plus /tg/ really needs to get over its fear of furries and realize that, in fact, most people are not furries.
>>
>>51763179
>generic town in generic fantasy setting
>tavern barkeep is called Xenophon
>guard captain is called Vercingetorix
>beggar is called Mithridates
>healer is called Galen
>priestess is called Boudicca

Oh, so it's going to be one of THOSE settings.
>>
>>51763429
Kobolds worship dragons, and bard is a kind of rogue.
>>
>>51763429
>Even if you're running a different setting, making them re-skinned people is boring, stupid, and pointless

I agree. I think it's mainly down to laziness and/or embarassment on the part of people trying to roleplay them.
>>
>>51763415
This. Everyone's got different views and we need to accept that. Once a faggot tries to force their views onto you, then you beat the shit out of them and saw their daughterfu and waifu in half.
>>
>>51763467
>get over its fear of furries
Fuck you. Our fear of furries is totally justified lest they subvert our community and become accepted.
>>
>>51763467
I don't have a fear of furries, I just hate how they inject every-fucking-thing with furry-fetish shit.

A lot of the time they make a big deal about their character, or other characters being another race, pointing to the fact that they are a specific race, and nothing else.

I don't want to hear descriptions of the Minotaur bar-keeps big furry ass, in fact, I'd much rather play as one, and kill you with him in the most violent, disgusting, and savage way possible so you stop trying to apply some erotic creep-shit to every fucking animal in the game.
>>
The party butchers the godless minotaur, being the spawn of unholy unions of women and bulls, blessed by the Demon Lord Baphomet..

The kobold flees because it's a shittier kind of goblin
>>
>>51763499
>then you beat the shit out of them and saw their daughterfu and waifu in half.

Why's everyone trying to beat up alt-righter's these days?
>>
>>51763415
ikr, i fucking hate it when people judge me for my views because i judge people for their views expressed through a game i asked no questions about and had no reason to suspect would be the grittier kind of game i would like, i mean for fucks sake.
>>
>>51763461
How do you pick your character's race, then? Seems odd to not even know, unless there's implicitly more civilized races that you're inexplicably not allowed to play.
>>
>>51763179
>>51763276

I mean, if you're going to be like that realistically speaking:

As an adventurer you'd probably only be allowed in the mix-raced tavern because the GOOD taverns wouldn't want anything to fucking do with you.

Do you think the taverns and pubs down town where the Humans and Dwarves drink what you in them? You? An Adventurer? Who is literally a homeless, drifter, no-job, no-guild, killing and thieving for a living, drinking and having roasted pork next to the people who actually go to work for 8 hours?
If anything you're more of a liability than the Minotaur Migrant worker: he KNOWS he's on thin ice and if he fucks up he's gonna get banished back to the east.
Adventurers? They're basically just entitled fucking psycopaths: you look at them funny and they've go no social connections preventing them from maiming or turning someone into a fucking pig.
They're so out of the loop they cry outrage when the town gaurds eventually come to haul them to prison, screaming, kicking, yelling shit like, "Do you know who I am?!" and "How dare you!" as if they mean anything to anyone.

So, yes, Adventurer.
You get to eat and drink in the tavern with the non-humans, so sorry that inconveniences you.
>>
>>51763519
Show us on the doll where the bad furry touched you.

You're gleaning a lot from "A minotaur serving a beer"
>>
>>51763514
Nah, our hate of furries isn't fear, it's a self-defense mechanism to justify ourselves.

>I may want to fuck a rancid Toilet-paper-Butter Golem, but at least I'm not a furry.

Is it stupid? Sure. Hypocritical? Absolutely.

But I'll be damned if I'm going to let any furry ruin my board. I've got standards after all.
>>
>>51763565
You just KNOW that Furry's are masturbating behind their keyboards when RP'ing online with them, and they instantly pick the Half-dragon.

I've played in a group with openly-furry people before and it really is creepy sometimes.
>>
>>51763276
I mean if you like old school objective morality and all that jazz.

Don't get me wrong, racial tension is good fun, but if you wanna break immersion having no exceptions to the rule is just another way to go at it. They're still sentient individuals. Now on that same hand you waltz into some Minotaur town and nobody bats an eye, that's just as jarring.

Admittedly I'm partial to characters that have straight up racism and have character growth out of that because of some reason or another, and I think racial alignments are pretty dumb so we might just like totally different things.
>>
>>51763548
Most of what I've played has been LGS D&D modules or homebrews that were pretty much run like them.

The state of the races could pretty easily be assumed but some times there would areas of the world where, yeah, you'd find villages of whatever that may or may not be hostile to you.

My DM's seemed to like to make us work for world information outside of major cities in the early areas.
>>
>>51763610
You need to play with different people, man. I've met more people borderline erotic about historical armor than furries.
>>
>>51763626
>objective morality and all that jazz

Not objective morality, it's called "realism". If you want me to believe that every race on the planet is just "alright" with each other, I'm going to need some background about the setting, other-wise, screw off with that load of bull.

There's absolutely no reason that Dwarves should be singing and making merry with Elves, even throwing arms over each others shoulders.

Feels so jarring and awkward.
>>
>>51763415
I fully accept the fact that some people have retarded opinions. I also fully reserve the right to mock them. You pathetic sperg.
>>
>>51763415
Not sure where he said it was a bad thing. Seems like you're projecting a bit.
>>
File: 1398672573952.jpg (14KB, 180x227px) Image search: [Google]
1398672573952.jpg
14KB, 180x227px
>>51763644
I can deal with something like that from /k/, because there's nothing intrinsically sexual about it, just a very in-depth fascination.

When you start describing the big-bushy eyes of the Tauren across the tavern, that's where I draw the line.
>>
>>51763660
This is not a political discussion, this is neither /pol/ or tumblr you don't attack somebody for their political beliefs.
>>
>>51763584
Fuck you furry. You're just making up shit like rancid toilet paper golems to justify yourself and make normal people look bad.
>>
File: e31[3].jpg (44KB, 603x315px) Image search: [Google]
e31[3].jpg
44KB, 603x315px
>thread went from discussion of the lack of verisimilitude of some RPG settings to complaining about furries
>>
>>51763409
Underrated post.
>>
>>51763179
>the Minotaur is serving up large dark stouts, and the Kobold is playing some relaxing music on his lute

You mean its an irish theme pud?!
>>
>>51763584
>quietly tries to ignore this post hoping it doesn't attract the attention of diaperfags
>>
>>51763179
Fuck you your tastes are shit, monstro town for life.
>>
>>51763276
>>Every species must be utterly stereotyped and there can't be a single member of an "evil" race that's Neutral or, god forbid, good.

So, you're just an idiot then. Maybe that minotaur has spent years building up a good reputation. Maybe that Red Dragon seemingly lording it over a village is actually their elected mayor who got that way because he's not nearly as nasty as most Reds. Outliers make things must more interesting than black and white morality, no-variety races.
>>
>>51763785
You must not understand how /tg/ works.
>>
File: xHbmTld.png (314KB, 800x2190px) Image search: [Google]
xHbmTld.png
314KB, 800x2190px
>>51763772
Making things up?
>>
>>51763415
He's the one who showed up with the No Fun Allowed sign and said he got to decide how a setting should be. We can mock him if we like.
>>
The best settings are the ones where the minotaurs and kobolds work together as friends, having tea at the appropriate time, and hating those GODDAMN FOREIGNERS.
>>
File: 1349570001967.png (369KB, 641x480px) Image search: [Google]
1349570001967.png
369KB, 641x480px
>>51763658
>Realism
>Fantasy races
>>
>>51763847
>Shit from a decade
Yeah... real relevant now.
>>
>>51763832
>I don't know how to create believable races without resorting to stereotypes

Geez, I guess it's true what they say, liberals ARE the real racists.
>>
>>51763276
>>51763326
>>51763358
>>51763415
>>>/pol/
>>>/tumblr/
There ya go
>>
>>51763890
/pol/, not everything is a liberal plot to spread politics.
>>
>>51763832
>Outliers make things must more interesting

If those are out-liers, then they would still be treated with fear/contempt.

Holy shit you're a fucking retard.
>>
What the fuck even is this thread
>>
>people who dislike monsters in civilization immediately jump off the /pol/ shitposting deep end
Well, that was fast. At least we know that the nofunpolice are in fact /pol/.
>>
>>51763922
Degeneracy
>>
>>51763881
>realism

>reality races

t. Autist that can't discern logic
>>
>>51763832
They are finding issue with their being no culture or meaningful difference between races, not that they must be evil but that they'd like meaningful variety between different races if different races are culturally diverse then it is absurd that there wouldn't be some feuds between races.
>>
>>51763941
what's more absurd is that they got to medieval fantasy level without incorporating nearby races into a working nation to better leverage their region against other regions.
>>
>>51763658
I agree.
Look at humans, even small differnences in facial structure and skin tone have caused centuries of violence.

I can't imagine something as pronounced as the differences between Minotaurs and kobolds.
>>
>>51763959
Man, so much more violence has been caused by pragmatic issues compared to racial issues it is insane.
Race is small potatoes compared to which fucker has the clay.
>>
>>51763527
The parties is overwhelmed by city guards, tried and executed for being absolutely archtypal murderhobos.
>>
>>51763931
>At least we know that the nofunpolice are in fact /pol/

That would be true if it wasn't for the fact that every game/RPG I've ever played where there were over a dozen different races all integrated completely into society weren't abysmal/boring/vanilla as fuck.

Games like The Witcher, Elder Scrolls, and Dragon Age 1 all have benchmark settings.

Sci-fi typically gets a pass, because it's assumed that the races must be extremely rational and logic in order to accomplish interstellar space travel, so give more leniency to each other in that regard.
>>
>>51763982
Funny, they've always been pretty dang interesting when I play them.
>>
File: how to deal with shit players.jpg (780KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
how to deal with shit players.jpg
780KB, 800x1000px
Don't like it, run your own game.
>>
>>51763982
>scifi and fantasy are different
Fucking newfags, with their chainmail and lord of the rings.
>>
>>51763887
How about that time we jacked off to the moon?
>>
>>51763920
You missed the part where the outliers EARNED their trust. Try reading before replying next time. Of course they'd be mistrusted, but Kill Everything That Isn't Just Like You is how murderhobos justify what they do. It's OK for inexperienced players but it's a mistake to assume everyone wants to play that way.
>>
>>51763696
>He doesn't see the humor in the bard getting date-raped by a minotaur

Shit taste.
>>
>your setting does not have a cantina with all sorts of weird ass races in the trade city
laaaaaame
>>
>>51763955
Actually it would be more likely if most races went to their own region of consisting of predominantly of a group of races that like/tolerate eachother.
>>
People who make non humans just weird looking people need to seriously reconsider the fucking point of fantasy races
>>
>>51764063
Well, yeah, every empire doesn't have every race.
But each one damn well has several.
>>
>>51763276
What? I mean I find the kind of shit in OP's post retarded "every race is equally common and equally represented everywhere among all walks of life" but it is hardly a liberal fantasy, just people who like to throw in lots of races.

Why include so many races as civilized people if it doesn't affect anything? It could be neat if it was limited to some trade based city state or something, but with every race being everywhere it feels to meaningless. A half orc being mayor of a small town in a setting where orcs are generally feared as ruthless raiders implies that he probably had to face some difficulty to be respected enough to become mayor. A half orc mayor in a world where orcs are just regular people is no different than a human or dwarf mayor.
>>
>>51764071
>fantasy race
>it's literally some stereotypical human culture slapped over an entire species like no one would notice

It's so fucking lazy.
>>
>>51764071
They also have a variety of physical differences, requirements to life, conditions for happiness, and political priorities.
They're still people though, and can still make a tasty loaf of bread.
Except for the ones that make bread with glass in it because they are regenerative and largely silicate.
>>
>>51764031
>EARNED their trust

They'd be meeting new people all the time. They can't just magically "earn" trust from total strangers because they said they did this thing this one time. For all they know they're liars, would still be extremely suspect by people who weren't personally their friends.

And what if they were to travel to another city? Are they just going to say "oh yea, check out these references I have, they TOTALLY hold up, you'll only have to wait a couple weeks for someone to go out, ask the person, and then come back and report it to you".

The idea that "outliers" could function in a society without any sort of harassment, suspicion, or worry, from anyone involved including the outlier, is preposterous.

It would be akin to having an alligator as a pet. "Hey bro, have you seen my pet alligator? OH NO, dude, you don't understand, he's an outlier, he totally saved me from drowning this one time!"

Serious question; do you have aspergers syndrome?
>>
>>51764044
It is a FETISH it is not normal to be a furry you shouldn't push your fetishes on other people.
>>
File: 1374796030634[1].png (193KB, 560x555px) Image search: [Google]
1374796030634[1].png
193KB, 560x555px
>>51764044
>seeing the humor in a bard getting literally anally raped to death by a literally horse-dicked monster-man
>>
>>51764117
Anon, it's not normal to be this uptight about furries.
You have internet poisoning.
>>
>>51764107
Actually, the glass bread MIGHT be tasty, but it just isn't worth it to try to eat it.
Though this has the pleasant effect of making trips to the market and bargaining much more interesting.
>>
>>51763276
>liberal fantasies
IN A GAME OF WHIMSY AND PRETEND?
Unheard of
>>
>>51764108
The red dragon in question is surrounded by a town that has accepted him. Visitors hear about the friendly Red long before they meet him. And people who just up and attack a bartender who is doing nothing more than serving drinks, no matter what his race, are going to be rightly labeled as psychopaths who are more of a danger to the town than the minotaur. Are you trying to excuse murderhobos or do you honestly not grasp that it isn't the only way to play?
>>
>>51763409
I had a hearty chuckle
>>
>>51764108
Anon, you need to stop living in the city.
>>
>>51764165
>whimsy
>>
>>51764108
Outlier are accepted by a society when the society realizes that they are different and compatible with society this happens over time, and their reputation as being a good part of society will grow and over time they will be respected and treated as an equal by most of society, of course there will be some harassment and suspicion because of human nature but eventually if they earn the trust of different people they will integrate into society.
>>
>>51764204
Because dragons are real and not made up. Riiiight
>>
>>51764047
>>51764139
>>51764107
I would like to play these games.
>>
>>51764180
>The red dragon in question is surrounded by a town that has accepted him

Of course they accepted him, he's an immortal fire-breathing demi-god capable of levelling their "town" with a swing of his tail.

Unless you're playing in some setting where Red Dragon's are considered "good", then they would be worshipping him to no end.

I see no reason why I should just trust the moral integrity of a creature that has no concept of mortality, and I'd be more worried what he's planning since a dragon would have absolutely no reason or need of a town "to be friends with" unless he was protecting it for some very important reason.
>>
>>51763610
Wait, we're not all masterbating behind our keyboards while playing?
>>
>>51764240
The fuck are you talking about?

You said it was whimsical. Do you know what the definitions of the words you're using are?
>>
>>51764253
no, sometimes we just masturbate.
>>
>>51764283
whim·si·cal
ˈ(h)wimzik(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: whimsical

playfully quaint or fanciful, especially in an appealing and amusing way.
"a whimsical sense of humor"
synonyms: fanciful, playful, mischievous, waggish, quaint, quizzical, curious, droll, fantastical, Seussian; More
eccentric, quirky, idiosyncratic, unconventional, outlandish, queer, fey;
informaloffbeat, freaky
"a whimsical sense of humor"
acting or behaving in a capricious manner.
"the whimsical arbitrariness of autocracy"
synonyms: volatile, capricious, fickle, changeable, unpredictable, variable, erratic, mercurial, mutable, inconstant, inconsistent, unstable, protean
> "the whimsical arbitrariness of autocracy"

Whe you simply make things up and pretend them to be logical or serious in nature you are being whimsical.
I understand that english may not be your first language but it is very easy to look it up, google it.
>>
>>51764251
The reason the town accepted the Red could make for an adventure in itself. Wouldn't you want to play in a setting where weird things like a Good red dragon justly governing a town could happen? Black and white morality and color coded for your convenience dragons are fine when you're in high school but as I said, the occasional outlier adds variety. People certainly go on about their Good necromancers and liches here often enough.
>>
>>51763530
Maybe because of alt-righters shouting about how they're going to form right-wing death squads to kill people for having different opinions? Maybe they shouldn't talk shit if they can't take having shit talked at them.
>>
>>51764320
>When you simply make things up and pretend them to be logical or serious in nature you are being whimsical

That's not what those definitions are implying. The first example is pretty straight forward. The second implies that it changes very suddenly.

Perhaps you need better reading comprehension skills, or are you just a fucking idiot?
>>
>>51763530
>>51764354
>implying lib-cucks can do anything
>>
>>51764320
>Whe you simply make things up and pretend them to be logical or serious in nature you are being whimsical.
ummm, except, no, you aren't? you posted the definition right there dude, you should be able to understand it.
>>
>>51764417
Then why do you shit your nappy whenever libcucks say things that hurt your feelings? Why do you act like libcucks are scaring you so much you need safe spaces? Why do you act like libcucks are so much of a threat to your way of life you have to conduct pre-emptive alpha strikes via aforementioned RWDS?
>>
>>51764354
You could replace the alt-right with SJWs and this would work just as well.
>>
>>51764460
Please, don't drag your sophomoric buzzword-slinging onto this board. There are boards where it is welcome but this isn't one of them.
>>
>>51763179
>the Minotaur is serving up large dark stouts
Where did he get Duergar meat from?
>>
>>51764457
the greentex part is part of the definition. Look it up
>>
File: Merriam Webster Dictionary.png (15KB, 816x320px) Image search: [Google]
Merriam Webster Dictionary.png
15KB, 816x320px
>>51764320
>>
>>51764500
Yes, it is part of the definition, you dumb bimbo, but it doesn't describe at all what was highlighted in either of these greentexts:
>>51764374
>>51764457

You're essentially just making up definitions because you're too stupid to understand what it's actually saying.
>>
>>51764468
Yep. They're both huge faggots who talk big, but pussy out the second they meet any resistance they can't shame/taunt/threaten into capitulation. I kind of wish both sides would just wipe each other out and leave the same people to their own devices.
>>
>>51764500
You realize that "whimsical" is an adjective, not a noun right? Meaning, it would go along with an actual noun, to describe it....Like "whimsical fantasy", in contrast with "grim fantasy"....

I'm pretty sure that's why people are freaking out over your misuse. Well, along with the fact that whimsical by definition is not what you described it as.
>>
There's four races in my setting that have "figured out" civilization. Ironically, one of them is orcs.

The other races are "monsters" because they are varying degrees of fucked in the head, and just as likely to kill you out of misguided reflex or accident as they are to make you a sacrifice to their dark god.
>>
File: 1437429279597.jpg (97KB, 520x600px) Image search: [Google]
1437429279597.jpg
97KB, 520x600px
>>51763554
>Who is literally a homeless, drifter, no-job, no-guild, killing and thieving for a living, drinking and having roasted pork next to the people who actually go to work for 8 hours?

What?
>>
>>51764576
I read that ending as "dank god".

Fucking 4chan memes.
>>
>>51764576
Explain this sounds interesting.
>>
File: mooning.png (378KB, 1892x2318px) Image search: [Google]
mooning.png
378KB, 1892x2318px
>>51764019
Relevant image
>>
>>51764594

That anon is referring to the fact that most adventurers are murderous hobos and would likely not be welcome in the decent part of town.
>>
>>51763476

So... WH40k then?
>>
File: [email protected] (52KB, 550x733px) Image search: [Google]
Ey_FSVD5YzeNq0RJaWB8jRJfViI@550x733.jpg
52KB, 550x733px
I have no issue with cosmopolitan fantasy races if I'm allowed to take an advanced nonhuman option.
I would love to play an RPG as a shadow person or elemental spirit.
It's only when "nope only core options for PCs" that I start to tremble with fury.
>>
>>51763409
>>
>>51763554
A couple things.

1) They didn't actually work 8 hours a day back then. Work days were filled with lots of long breaks, and it usually came out to be more around 5-6 hours a day, if that.

2) "Realistically", adventurers aren't always adventurers, and no one would know they're an adventurer unless you're advertising it, in which case, it's also more realistic that adventurers would be lured into traps and mugged or murdered because of how naïve they tend to be.

3) How would you know if the adventurer is homeless? They could own keeps, be the heirs to thrones, or sanctioned knights. You lobbing generalizations around thinking it proves anything other than you're relying on a very thin strawman is hilarious in its stupidity and simplicity.

Lastly, your autistic little spergy rant didn't prove anything argument wise for you, or the shitty setting that you've clearly set up and have been offended by from the OP.

So yes, shitposter.
Your shitty setting with tons of monsters all inhabiting a city together is unrealistic and immersion breaking. So sorry that inconveniences your narrative.
>>
>>51764626
Technically, they clear out dungeons for re-habitation by the local populaces, so their "sociopathic tendencies" would definitely be over-looked.
>>
>>51763658

Elves and Dwarves aren't generally going to come into competition for land and have a great deal to gain from trading the resources that are abundant in their natural habitats. I always thought it would be more likely that they'd team up in order to keep humans out.
>>
>>51764607
Elves are supernaturally good at agriculture, dwarves are supernaturally good at smithing, orcs are supernaturally good at animal husbandry, humans are supernaturally good at writing. Their talents combined make for the strongest empire ever seen.

Meanwhile, minotaurs literally can't understand sexual consent, harpies act normally around three quarters of the civilized races but CAN'T NOT eat elves, lamia will kill *any* clerics on sight, goblins are pyromaniacs, etc.
>>
>>51763276
nice work
>>
>>51763179
>DM: "Alright you walk into the Pub. You see faithful servants of the Imperium and xenos drinking and having merriment, the Rogue Trader is serving up large post-raid feasts and the ex-Inquisitor is demonstrating how many times an honor blade can be folded."

Oh, so it's going to be one of THOSE campaigns
>>
>>51764108
your base assumption about strangers fails to consider the previous assumption about them having earned trust in a community and being part of it. they own/operate the tavern.

ergo your strangers are strangers to the entire community, and would be treated with suspicion.

>Serious question; do you have aspergers syndrome?
>>
>>51764702
>autistic little spergy rant
pot, kettle
>>
>>51764717

A dungeon being reclaimed by the local populace is something I've never actually seen happen in a game. Actually a game centered around rebuilding one of the lost ancient fallen empires that every fantasy setting seem to have would be cool.
>>
>>51764702

Maybe his setting is Taladas where minotaurs are the upper class, or Planescape or Spelljamer two fantasy settings where a minotaur bartender could be fairly mundane compared to what the rest patrons in the bar might be.
>>
>>51764790
>they own/operate the tavern

Last time I checked, in the OP it merely showed them as employed.

and

>your base assumption about strangers fails to consider the previous assumption about them having earned trust in a

No, it doesn't fail to consider that. Obviously they're trusted, or they'd be attacked on-sight. The thread is about them being treated like every other person, which is highly unlikely, because they aren't like every other person. They wouldn't just have trouble integrating within society socially, but economically as well, seeing as their diet could be exotic/expensive.

So why don't you ask that aspergers thing about yourself once more?
>>
File: 1360379323357.jpg (50KB, 272x320px) Image search: [Google]
1360379323357.jpg
50KB, 272x320px
>>51763415
>>51763905
>getting offended by a joke
>>
>>51764792
I wasn't ranting, I was countering what he was saying. Sorry if that triggers your ism. I'm not sorry
>>
>>51763179
>"I unstrap my greataxe."
>>
>>51763179
>>51763276

That's it. I'm sick of all this "Masterwork Liberal Fantasy" bullshit that's going on in the d20 system right now. Taverns deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.
I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine Tavern in the South for 2,400,000 baneposts (that's about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my Racially Ignorant Tavern.

Fantasy DMs spend years working on a single race war Tavern and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest immersion known to mankind.

These Taverns are thrice as sharp as liberal races actually getting along and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a minotaur serving ale can cut through, a Race War Tavern can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a Race War Tavern could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash.

Ever wonder why the liberal fantasies never bothered conquering the crips? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Race War and their Taverns of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men of races they didn't like first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Race War Taverns are simply the best experience that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the d20 system. Here is the stat block I propose for Taverns:

(One-Handed Exotic Bullshit)
1d12 Damage
19-20 x4 Crit
+2 to hit and damage
Counts as >>/pol/

(Two-Handed Exotic Bullshit)
2d10 Damage
17-20 x4 Crit
+5 to hit and damage
Counts as >>/b/

Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of non-liberal realism in real life, don't you think?

tl;dr = Race wars need to be more common in d20, see my new stat block.
>>
>>51764122

I feel I must defend /tg/ honor and reputation by pointing out that it'd be a cow penis or a human penis, depending if you're literally dealing with a "man with the head of a bull" or a bull based anthropoid and obviously a bull penis is more about girth than length like a horse's penis
>>
File: Bizarre_Sex_04_34.jpg (261KB, 945x1334px) Image search: [Google]
Bizarre_Sex_04_34.jpg
261KB, 945x1334px
>>51764608
>>
>>51764626

well most medieval kingdoms had anti-vagrant and anti-stranger laws, so any group of adventurers would likely be run out of town or lynched - it's why you often had large bandit groups living in wooded areas rather than taking over towns, all the wanderers or destitute vagabonds would basially end up run out of town after town until they hit a clump of bandits and were either killed or joined them.
>>
>>51763476
Ah yes because tim the shotapope is so much better.
>>
>>51765019
> it's why you often had large bandit groups living in wooded areas rather than taking over towns

No, it's because robbing/capturing travelling traders or wealthy noblemen was a lot more efficient when there's no lawmen nearby.

I think you made up that "anti-vagrant" and "anti-stranger" law bullshit, because most major cities had constant inter-kingdom trade and travel. This is especially true for Bards, who made a living off of travel.
>>
>Be Minotaur
>Stronk as fuck wanna smash some skulls
>Infamous sorcerer hits me up and summons me via bloodpact
>Fuck yeah blood pact
>Fuck yeah let's break some skulls
>Suddenly in a tavern
>About to smash some punk ass human when suddenly Summoner tells me to stop
>Have to stop
>He points to some huge ass barrels outside
>Tells them to carry them inside
>Barrels are pretty light, weighs at least 142 skulls
>Half orc walks into bar carrying a warhammer
>aww yiss time to smash
>Summoner welcomes him
>Realize I've been summoned by an ex sorcerer supreme to save his failing tavern
>Return back to original plane of existence a laughing stock
>No one wants to summon me anymore
>Disowned by tribe for not smashing enough skulls
>Tfw no mate
>Tfw no skull smash
>>
File: 1431846183555.png (46KB, 507x607px) Image search: [Google]
1431846183555.png
46KB, 507x607px
>>51763887
>2007 was 10 years ago
dude what
>>
File: killeverybody.gif (446KB, 499x408px) Image search: [Google]
killeverybody.gif
446KB, 499x408px
>you're in a helicopter and it ain't me starts playing

Oh yeah it's one of those settings.
>>
>>51764702
>and no one would know they're an adventurer unless you're advertising it

I mean, yes they would.
It's easy to tell if someones an adventurer if you live in a medieval town and are otherwise running an establishment that sees regular clientele.

>They could own keeps, be the heirs to thrones, or sanctioned knights.

There's no point to even mentioning that either as a sanctioned knight or otherwise noble person wouldn't be scrounging around in taverns like a filthy adventurer.
They'd just go directly to the crown, they're a knight.
Or are you implying these knights and nobles are just going to "Clark kent" their way into a tavern, because everyone's just a big fucking idiot and won't notice Charles Chromley Winston because he's got a fucking cloak on?

I dunno.
Sounds like you're just being an inflammatory poofter.

>autistic little spergy rant

Glass houses, throwing stones, etc.
>>
File: 7585-9011-15682.jpg (17KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
7585-9011-15682.jpg
17KB, 320x240px
>>51765115
>>
>>51764717
>Technically, they clear out dungeons for re-habitation by the local populaces, so their "sociopathic tendencies" would definitely be over-looked.

I mean, they wouldn't be chased out of town, but these aren't people you'd invite to the maypole or the rugby meet with on sunday.
They're crazy, anon.
>>
>>51763179

Kobold is exterminator trying to learn how to lute in spare time

>Be autistic kobold
>Leave tribe because not enough gems
>wander around for a bit
>Find tavern
>Decide to enter the tavern since there could be gems
>Inside human surrounded by rats
>Aww yiss once the rats kill him I'll take the oh god he just burned them alive
>Human ask in broken draconic if I am the exterminator
>The what?
>Human readies fireball
"Yess I am exterminator"
>Human puts fireball away by throwing it outside the door
>Miraculously doesn't set forest on fire
>tells me about rat problems and how he installed some shitty traps
>Sperg out because traps are so shitty
>Stay for a week or two to set up better traps
>Human gives me some gems as payment
>Aww yiss maybe I should stay for a while
>>
>>51765175
Dude, you're a complete fucking retard, medieval Inn's were DESIGNED for travelers.

Taverns were designed for the wealthier individuals in a society, since they could actually freely spend money, and it involved gambling, prostitutes, and wine. Beer was not that common.

P.S. You're also wrong about virtually everything else.
>>
>>51763429
>worship satan
First off that's not true by any setting's reckoning, so far as I know.
Secondly, that doesn't even mean anything in itself. There are a good number of settings where the worship of malevolent deities or spirits is a matter of course for one reason or another. Hell, even in the real world this happened.

Finally, that argument is like saying you can't have elves as a race because mythological elves are far and away not part of anything *actually* civilized and are clearly just creatures.
Same with dwarves and gnomes--to both of which the kobold is closely related in actual myth.
We're already twisting and abusing those things, why suddenly decide to draw a line in the sand?
>>
>>51765331
>Hell, even in the real world this happened.

If you look at Rome and Greece, a lot of those cults were secret, and for a reason.
>>
>>51764879
so they are trusted/integrated enough to be employed in a business that makes its money by customer service, but they are still feared and suspect. also most business ventures at that time were family owned/operated, and did not have employees.

i suspect you don't suffer from asperger's, just severe stupidity.
>>
>Walk into a Pub
>The Minotaur is serving up large dark stouts
>The Kobold is playing relaxing music on his lute
>The fire elemental is holding a grill with sizzling patties, humming something to itself
>In each dark corner sits a drow rogue. Judging by dust and cobwebs, they are sitting there for quite some time.
>A daeva and baatezu drunkenly rant at each other
>Aboleth is sticking from a golem fishbowl, drinking something unpleasant-looking through an elaborate bendy straw

Sigil is one hell of a drug.
>>
>>51763179
not as cool as a tavern run by a beholder, with a half ogre doorman. that was a badass bar.
>>
>>51764903
"What you mean I'm dragged off and hung by the city guard? All I did was kill a bunch of monsters!"

"You murdered a bunch of innocent people in a tavern. Hangin's too good for you."
>>
>>51765457
THIS. Half the people in this thread seem to be or seem to want to GM for simplistic murderhobos who want things to kill, even in taverns. You'd think not a one of them has ever roleplayed in a city setting.
>>
File: 1265508032693.png (647KB, 843x1231px) Image search: [Google]
1265508032693.png
647KB, 843x1231px
>>51765256
Anon, that's a Sableye.
>>
>>51765019
The bandits hid in the woods because anyone could legally kill them at any time and claim the reward if there was one. That's what being an outlaw means
>>
>>51764759
This... actually isn't bad at all. Continue.
>>
>>51763658
I... never claimed that? I said having zero exception to the rule is weird, not that they should be blowing each other in the corner.
>>
>>51763179

I just imagined what it might be like for a massacre to happen in a fantasy setting. Like the opening session, everyone meets in a tavern, when a mentally unstable gunslinger wanders in and starts killing people.
>>
>>51764717
last time your party cleared out a dungeon for "re-habitation" whom did they inform? did all of you run for the nearest orphanage and burst through the doors, shouting, "HEY KIDS GUESS WHAT?!"
>>
>>51763179
>why the fuck am i here again?
>oh right, the murders
>>
Humans only.

If we must, gruff Dwarves that have a smidgeon of likeability. Elves are smarmy with a smidgeon of likability. They hate each other because they don't believe the same material things to be valuable.

Gnomes are annoying because I don't know anything about faeries. Halflings are acceptable for certain character builds, but I tolerate them because they're basically humans.

Anything else should be at least extremely unsociable and to otherwise makes you a cocksucking furry that can't roleplay.
>>
>>51766207
Not Anon but someone else
Gnomes are extremely great at cooking but will go beserk if anyone else is in the kitchen with him
>>
>>51766294
Humanity fuck yeah
>>
>Mixing foreign cultures under the face of a non-human race is lazy

True. I mean we would put them under a different human culture, but humans are diverse europeans from somewhere in the united kingdom and occasionally russia but occasionally I talk about some exotic setting that isn't Europe on my chinese cartography internet chalkboards.
>>
>>51766299
no thanks
>>
>>51766299
I don't think you actually read the post you replied to.
>>
>>51766294
this just seems a tad bit to extreme what do you have against half orcs my man
>>
>>51766359
half orcs are responsible for 90% of all crimes committed, it is an inconvenient truth

the avocados need to learn their place, i remember when the pea soups used to know exactly where they stood
>>
>>51764531
>Pussy out.

Both sides are more than eager to throw fists and fuck shit up.

See "Battle of Sacramento" as an example.
>>
>>51766417
you know I've always wondered if the socio economic situation of humans and half orcs would the the stats become inverse and thus humans would be responsible for 90% of all crimes committed
>>
>>51766481
that sounds like faggot Amoth rhetoric
>>
>>51766496
True but it makes you wonder
>>
>>51766507
i wonder about your loyalty to the crown, you blackguard
>>
>>51766515
How dare you question my loyalty you knave, I demand you apologize
>>
>>51766528
i first demand you show understanding that anything less than human to be bilge, disregarded and tossed as the offal the gods made it to be
>>
>>51763971
>>51763971

No they're not.

They're grateful for the elimination of a seeding chaos in their city.

The patrons of the bar are corralled and arrested on crimes of heresy.

They will be tried by the Inquisition.
>>
>>51766554
Never all life is sacred regardless of how ugly or insufferable they maybe those that think otherwise deserve a long painful life with wounds so crippling that they shall beg for death everyday yet unable to find it's sweet embrace.
>>
File: 1478922093784.gif (565KB, 147x154px) Image search: [Google]
1478922093784.gif
565KB, 147x154px
>>PC's: Why are we killing X? Aren't they listed as Good in the monster manual?
>>GM: Are they??

Oh, he's gonna be one of THOSE GMs.
>>
>>51766593
you will learn the value of your betters this day
>>
>>51763658
>>51763959
Consider this - on a planet where every five miles you walk, you run into someone who looks drastically different from you, you eventually reach a point where you're used to it.
>>
>>51766604
Nay it shall be you that learn who is superior this day now draw your sword you cretin.
>>
Humanizing the monstrous races takes the teeth out of them.

Disregarding the myth and precedents that inspired them leaves you with baseless trash.

The Minotaur is a terrible man-eating creature, born from a woman compelled by a god to fuck a bull.

In the case of D&D, they're a result of the influence of Baphomet. While not explicit about it, i'm sure he has cults devoted to him that fornicate with beasts to birth unholy creatures like Minotaurs to do his bidding.

That is far more interesting than a human with a bull's head.
>>
>>51766629
*teleports behind u*
>>
>make different countries with relatively detailed histories, currencies, governmental structures, racial demographics, superstitions, religions, etc.
>no one cares in the slightest and just want to get to "killing X"

The worst bit is when I wanted to make moving money around a little important, and getting coinage minted by different countries matter at least some of the time (most people take foreign coin, but there are exceptions). Also moving around with pounds of silver or gold where it could be targeted vs. using a system of banks or money lenders to transfer funds.

The players couldn't be bothered to think about it.

I know it's my fault for caring too much about this kind of stuff, but still makes me sad.
>>
Rolled 52 (1d100)

>>51766632
*Teleports behind u*
>>
>>51766630
>baseless trash
yes because the myths that spawned them were so obviously based in fact, without liberties
>>
>>51766649
ROLLED 9999999 (1dFUCKYOU)

*smirks as his katana slides between your ribs and clean through your heart*
>>
>>51764123
Oh fuck yes it normal to be uptight about some ass-hat making his shitty FETISH into a "lifestyle".
>>
>>51766640
It's no surprise they got bored. Remember how much time you put into coming up with a way to simulate all that? Well, that's how much time they'll have to spend tracking it all. Add in the amount of time already normally spent tracking their abilities, stats, and whatever have you, and the amount of time they'll have to spend asking you questions about where they are and if X business takes currency Y, and you get a whole lot of time your players will probably feel is wasted. Tracking money in a game is one thing, but tracking money in multiple currencies? That's only fun for a certain kind of person, one who is likely to play the stock market for fun.
>>
>>51766665
who caaares
>>
>>51766664
Rolled 10000000 (1dHARDER DADDY)
*Commits soduku with nodachi and stabs you in heart*
>>
>>51766654
>yes because the myths that spawned them were so obviously based in fact

It's not about fact, it's about precedence. It's about mythology. It's about symbolism and imagery.

What you want are essentially Minotaurs of Krynn, which are total fucking trash.
>>
>>51766679
Rolled INFINITY + INFINITY (1dYouReallyHaveNoIdea)
*my form dissipates in to the ether as the slowly dawning horror of my deceptions dawns in your brain, followed by the very succinct sensation of my erect genitals entering you*

looks like someone was quite..........................................................................................................................................
unprepared
>>
>>51764946
don't worry anon I appreciate your pasta
>>
>>51766694
>>51766679
>>51766664
>>51766649
>>51766632

Go jack each other off somewhere else.
>>
>>51766596
My GM would instantly hit it with "they're probably renegades/exiles/tortured to insanity/etc. Why don't you ask them?".
>>
>>51766690
i notice you neglected to incorporate the liberties part

why would that be?
>>
>>51766694
Rolled Infinity^2 (1dYouseemlikeacoolddude)

ROLLING DRAGON

*My anus begins to jiggle as the 800 double D batteries lodged up my asshole fries your erect penis*
>>
>>51766709
nah here's good
>>
>>51766716
horseshit maybe if they were 9volt i'm going to need a dm ruling on this
>>
>>51766712
It's not important?

Liberties still contain a seed of precedence.

Liberties is not what you're doing with Minotaurs.

Your making humans and giving them bullheads.

There is nothing Minotaur about them beyond that.

And don't give me any of that bullshit about they have the power to navigate labyrinths. That doesn't even make sense in the Minotaur myth, because if he had that then he would be able to leave the goddamn maze now wouldn't he?
>>
>>51766729
hell nah I have like, 960 volts in my ass. you cock is fried
>>
>>51766729
DM Ruling:

You're both faggots and die from AIDS.
>>
>>51766746
fair enough. You guys want to play FATAL
>>
>>51766737
>And don't give me any of that bullshit about they have the power to navigate labyrinths. That doesn't even make sense in the Minotaur myth, because if he had that then he would be able to leave the goddamn maze now wouldn't he?
Yeah but why would he want to? Nice high walls and all the virgins you can eat. He was living the dream.
>>
File: giphy.gif (999KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
999KB, 360x360px
>>51766737
oh okay!
nah dude you're totally right those precedences had no other genesis
>>
>>51766752
yes
>>
>>51766737
>And don't give me any of that bullshit about they have the power to navigate labyrinths. That doesn't even make sense in the Minotaur myth
D&D was confused about myths here and there in its early days and now it's stuck with it because D&D is anchored to its legacy with a mithral tether.
Case in point: a D&D "gorgon" is a 2 ton cow made of metal that spews petrifying gas. Scaly people with snakes for hair are "medusas".
>>
File: how not to gm.png (54KB, 251x475px) Image search: [Google]
how not to gm.png
54KB, 251x475px
>>51766711
>>they're probably renegades/exiles/tortured to insanity
>>
>>51766807
Unless it's an actual goddamn Celestial or Fiend, every alignment is only a general tool.
Celestials and Fiends can't change alignments without actually changing species, though.
Fall-from-Grace hasn't been possible since 2E
>>
>>51763276
Holy shit! And I thought that /k/ was in state of perma-rage
>>
>>51763554
>One of the richest and most free-spending demographics isn't welcome in the place where they are most likely to spend a shitload of money

Right. Well, while your tavern tanks, the nonhuman ones are buying your building from you.
>>
File: yesand.png (24KB, 201x201px) Image search: [Google]
yesand.png
24KB, 201x201px
>>51766807
I'm not seeing why that's a bad thing, anon.
>>
>>51766784

And they lived happily ever after the end
>>
>>51766833
the fun thing about being a DM is that you can ignore or over-enforce rules.
>>
>>51766902
>having the threat of having to rebuild multiple times a year (likely costing hundreds or thousands of gold each time) for the chance of a few hundred extra gold a month at most
>keeping your wits about you and just ignoring them and letting them destroy your rival's place and recieve the business uptick during the renovations.
>>
Is there anything wrong with that?

A lot of bitching in this thread is about how having many of your races behave like people limits what you can do and makes your setting less interesting. I'd really disagree with this, because people are capable of exhibiting any kind of behavior you can think of. If a large group of orcs are mongol-like war rapists, but there's small sects that just want to sit and farm and write poetry, then you can have some ambiguity in your interaction. If all orcs are evil you just kill on site, and it's boring as fuck.

I'd rather play in a setting where the OP's scenario happened, but you can see a lot of people shifting their eyes towards the kobold, and you can tell the kobold knows, and feels bad, but he keeps the smile up and plays anyway. Something where there's still problems, and everybody isn't sitting in a circle singing hippie songs, but where it's at least possible to get along.
>>
>>51765457
>The fire elemental is holding a grill with sizzling patties, humming something to itself
UNDERTALE FAGGOT GO BACK TO TUMBLR REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>51763322
Whyyyy does a deer need clothes exactly?
>>
File: Anime_Police.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Anime_Police.png
1MB, 1280x720px
Not OP or anything like that, but I just was not expecting /tg/ to poop their pants over this thread like they have.
>>
>>51766951
>rebuilding multiple times a year
because um well i mean uh well um NONHUMANS

think i'd rather just invest a few extra silver in to more sturdy tables?
>>
>>51766983
There has got to be a fuckton of newfags posting. It's the only explanation.
>>
>>51766953
>people are capable of exhibiting any kind of behavior you can think of

Non-humans aren't people, they're monsters.
>>
>>51767106
They're people. So long as they care about how to get food, shelter, where to have fun, can use language, use tools, and have intelligence on par with us, they are people.

You're having a deeply emotional reaction towards what's basic logic.
>>
>>51767141
>how to get food, shelter, where to have fun
Those are all things animals do also, so they're not hallmarks of personhood.

>can use language
>have intelligence
Intelligence and language use =/= personhood or even sapience, especially in a fantasy setting

>use tools
Animals use tools too.

And don't project your emotions on to others.
>>
>>51767186
If they are as intelligent as us, and have the same capacity for language and tool use, they are more than likely sapient. Hell, chimps and dolphins are considered sapient and they are far less than our intelligence.
>>
>>51766786
Wait, I thought HoMM invented that, not D&D.
>>
>>51766964
It can be cold out there.

And if you think about it, if you were a deer, wouldn't you want pockets to store extra ammo for your guns?
>>
>>51763179
>>
>>51765049

Ah yes, because it can only be one of those two things: a retarded derptastic name, or something ripped off from history. No other alternative is possible.

Thanks for that anon, you sure showed me with your pinpoint counterthrust.

KYS.
>>
File: IMG_6138.jpg (34KB, 280x340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6138.jpg
34KB, 280x340px
>>51763409
>>
>>51764531
>I kind of wish both sides would just wipe each other out and leave the sane people to their own devices
Unfortunately you'd just end up with the stronger side becoming a ruling class and enforcing their ideology. That said, the current "cyber-war" (or shit-posting competition) ongoing between these two large ideologies will be an interesting bit to read about in history books in a decade or two.
>>
>>51767253
DnD mistranslation, I think. The actual Greek monster that DnD calls a "Gorgon" is actually some other greek? monster, Cap-something..
>>
>>51763179
The whole racial purity meme only started when slave races started to be a thing. Then it became "improper" to mingle with the "workers", this is not something unique to america either, any group of people who kept a large, "one group" slaves usually had pretty horrible ideas and opinions about them.

Sure, mostly lacking travel technology and ability to do so kept each village a baldie virgin's wet dream but it was less hate for the different and more how the fuck a moor or a african could get anywhere thanks to their fucked environment. Shit people judged you more for who ruled you than who you were, at war time if you were different it didn't matter if you were ubermensch or untermensch, you would be considered suspicious.
>>
>>51766953
>If a large group of orcs are mongol-like war rapists, but there's small sects that just want to sit and farm and write poetry, then you can have some ambiguity in your interaction.

That takes the teeth out of the Orcs. I'd rather have them deal with peace in their own Orcish manner, and not as some farmer poets like a bunch of halflings.

>If all orcs are evil you just kill on site, and it's boring as fuck.

That's also incredibly narrow minded. Orcs can be totally evil and still have culture. If you think that they won't get to know that culture you'd be wrong, as they would come across cultists, temples, slave pits, slave harems, and the mongrel orcish hordes in their quest to kill them all.

They'll have no choice to, it's the set dressing of where the orcs are. It's the DNA of their character.

If your players kill without thought that's your problem, not mine.
>>
>>51767141
You're making the mistake that people can't be evil.

In the context of Orcs, they're Barbarians. Not as in the class, but as defined by Focault.

Essentially. The barbarian is not a savage. The barbarian exists in opposition of a civilization, it does not come from a natural backdrop like the savage. It burns a hole in the civilization it opposes in it's existance. It is a vector of domination, rather than exchange like the savage. It does not build, it takes. It's occupation is not cultivation, but plunder. It seizes existing property, makes others serve it. Tend it's land, tend it's horses, mend it's weapons. It's freedom is possible only by the freedom it takes from others. The barbarian never gives up it's freedom, unlike the savage.
When it does acquire a power, acquire a king or elect a chief, it certainly does not do so in order to diminish its own share of right but to actually increase its strength, to become an even stronger plunderer, a stronger thief and rapist, and to become an invader who is more confident of its own strength. The barbarian establishes a power in order to increase its own individual strength.

That's actually a pretty profound dynamic that fits well into many worlds.
>>
>>51767204
They're absolutely people. People who will raid your village. Take your food, wealth, wives, sisters, and daughters, and kill your sons, brothers, and fathers.
>>
Tfw you misread 'lute' as 'flute' and mistake this for a thinly veiled euphemism thread.
>>
>>51767691
As if humans don't already do that. And just because some do that doesn't mean that all do that.

>>51767671
With a few tweaks that description of barbarism could be used to describe quite a few groups, from aristocrats who seek only more wealth and power at the expense of the people, to fascism and its seeking domination and genocide, to pretty much all facets of what is considered Evil.

And I haven't been making the mistake that they can't be evil, you're making the mistake that they must all be evil.
>>
>>51765256
Kinda want to see a bunch of drunken kobold bards in a horse drawn cart do a drive-by lute-ing.
>>
>>51763658
>I'm going to need some background about the setting
then shut the fuck up and listen tomore than a single sentence of the session
>>
File: giphy[1].gif (1MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
giphy[1].gif
1MB, 320x180px
>>51764122
>Goosh Goosh
>>
>>51763554
This.

Let's be honest, the taverns that welcome adventurers are likely the setting's equivalent of Mos Eisley.
>>
>>51766620
Or begin to slowly more proficient at killing everyone different than you
See: Earth
>>
>>51763409
my fucking sides
>>
So what I am getting here is, no one has ever heard of Planescape nor played it? I can see that no one may want fun-hating idiots at the table so half this thread never probably played anything but Racial Holy War, but they made a pretty famous vidya on it too.
>>51763179
Congrats OP, you are a master fisherman.
>>
>>51768762
> everything has to work the same way it does on earth!
>everything!
>>
>>51763429
>Minotaurs are unintelligent

What.
>Int 7
>Wis 10

Literally as intelligent as the standard array human, and actually wiser than it That without mentioning
>Natural Cunning
>"they possess innate cunning and logical ability"
>>
>>51768799
Well apparently I can't avoid people trying to shove both incredible racism and liberal wank fantasies into games, so yeah it really seems too
>>
>>51768816
7 int is borderline mentally deficient, not normal human, which is 10
>>
File: sad doll.jpg (61KB, 734x978px) Image search: [Google]
sad doll.jpg
61KB, 734x978px
>>51768762
There's too many of them and not enough of you. Outside of your immediate tribe, NOBODY you will ever meet looks even close to you, and a good half of them are better physically in some way than you could ever be, even with anabolic steroids (which you haven't invented yet) or (equivalents for DEX and CON here if you're in D&D).

Lot more emphasis on hospitality in a world like that, and the very idea of "race" might not come to be a thing because nobody ever runs into large groups of people who look like themselves. On the other hand, uncanny valley gets a lot deeper because something that looks like you but isn't is the rarest sight in the world in addition to just being weird.

So, a lot more doll phobias.
>>
>>51768889
>liberal wank fantasies
What is this shit even...
>Oh no, the kobold and minotaur live alongside the dwarf and elf! Argh, an homosexual character! Oh my god, the bad guy is a slaver! Liberals reeee
You know most of the things people seem to identify as liberal shit are just... pretty normal, common sense things? Yes in real life racist is a thing, but there are lots of people who don't really care if their neighbor is black or white. Maybe you can accept that in a fantasy setting some humans are racists and some are not, somesome dwarves are greedy and some are not, and so on and forth.
>>
>>51768953
The fact you latched specifically to the liberal portion of my post insulting both sides says a lot.
>>
>>51764780
You mean to tell me that you don't make your Rogue Traders a master of the culinary arts?
>>
>>51768932
That's why you just use magic and become fantasy magic nazis

Or something, honestly how can anyone take this topic seriously?
>>
>>51768985
Well there was not much to say about racist shit, what are you even gonna say about a guy who constantly plays the paladin of saint elvenkiller, tries to slay every other goblin even in a setting in which they are not an evil race, and has complaints about a single gay characters because it might be a swj conspiracy?
>>
>>51769017
>goblins
>not evil
Try to give a realistic example there buddy
>>
>>51769036
Symbaroum has goblin and they are not evil.
Your turn.
>>
>>51763179
I know, right? It sounds so cool! My Gnoll paladin would fit in perfectly there!
>>
>>51769049
To do what? Jerk each other off some more? What are you expecting from this conversation except me insulting you while you feel snide about how better you are than me over a Colombian leaf picking board?
>>
>>51769064
then why did you ask for an exhample? You are quick to go back on your words, buddy.
>>
>>51769072
>>51769065
Gee, wrong post.
>>
>>51763179
DM is 100% a furry, without a doubt.
>>
>>51764104
Well how would you make an entire culture without taking inspiration from any known cultures or human psychology?
>>
>>51769072
The fuck is an exhample?
>>
>>51764702
>1) They didn't actually work 8 hours a day back then. Work days were filled with lots of long breaks, and it usually came out to be more around 5-6 hours a day, if that.

You mean back when we had Minotaurs and Kodolds working in our drinking establishments? Must have missed that history lesson..
>>
>>51769049
They do look scary, though.
>>
>>51763658
>If you want me to believe that every race on the planet is just "alright" with each other, I'm going to need some background about the setting,
How about the idea that when there is always something worse trying to barge its way in, its fucking stupid to always be an war terms with other nations that also hate those fucks. You don't have to be buddy-buddy with them but any kind of non-hate fueled relationship enables some form of cultural diffusion unless deliberately suppressed. Its retarded to think that there wouldn't be the occasional kobold in the minotaur kingdom playing for some extra cash if they're both in the "fuck those demonic assholes" boat.
>>
>Minotaur barkeep also serves creme covered tarts and other delectables
hmmmm
>>
>>51766833
>Celestial or Fiend,
I go by planescape-esq rules
Fiends can be not assholes to the point where they drift into neutral, maybe good if they've been away for long enough but that begets physical abnormalities
Same with celestials but reverse.
>>
>>51766959
How would you get that reference unless you've played undertale? Checkmate faggot.
>>
>>51767043
More than likely the place is destroyed by fire than a bar fight.
>>
>>51765145
Fortunate Son - CCR
>>
File: image.png (137KB, 301x352px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
137KB, 301x352px
>>51766716
>>
File: Africans are not self aware.jpg (569KB, 1024x1953px) Image search: [Google]
Africans are not self aware.jpg
569KB, 1024x1953px
>>51767204
There are people that are technically classified as humans who aren't even sapient, yet use tools and language, albeit poorly.
>>
>>51769661
Bait for the bait god!
>>
>>51766964

You are asking the wrong questions. How does it put the clothes on? Who manufactured the exoskeleton? Who tailored the suit when they have hooves?
>>
>>51769945
The deer are hyperintelligent telekinetics who do all tool manipulation via psionics. They are an old race that chose to return to a seemingly feral form while having bodies that are 40% supertech including more-than-human brains small enough to fit in a deer skull. Being deer is just the current fashion.
>>
>>51769945
Somebody who realised he can make top dollar making exoskeletons for deers.
>>
>>51763276
bigotry intensifies
>>
>>51763429
This, honestly.

Like, OP's shit would be acceptable in shadowrun or some other modern setting, but this shit is medieval, not a video game.
>>
>>51767093
/tg/ has actually been pretty shit for years now, where have you been?
>>
>>51769661
Basically, the solution is to train animals to work jobs.
It's just nobody will ever do that because capitalism means there aren't enough jobs to go around.
What we need is a good strong centralized government that forces 100% of the population to work on infrastructure projects. Then training animals to work would be viable.
>>
>>51770040
the concept of bigotry doesn't exist in fantasy
>>
>>51770227

I missed the part of the medieval period where we had access to magic and there were multiple sapient species on par with humanity. Comparing most fantasy settings to real life history is pointless, as either of those changes would have changed history completely from how things went on earth and most settings opt to use both changes.
>>
>>51763179
oh man, I love those settings.
Provides all sort of flavor when you hit a city.
>>
>>51765457
Planescape is literally the greatest.
>>
>>51766564
Depends on the setting, obviously.
>>
>>51763326
I don't think Kobolds and Minotaurs listen to Thursday.
>>
>>51763832
>red dragon mayor
Slack-wyrm?
>>
>>51766665
You seem to be making getting unreasonably mad about stupid shit on the internet your lifestyle
>>
It's not even far fetched. Maybe the city or tavern is a world between worlds where people don't have to keep up their vendettas
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TruceZone
>>
>>51766953
This anon speaks truth
>>
>>51766983
>>51767093
I'm seeing this on the other boards too. It looks like a few dedicated autists want nobody to have fun unless it fits in line with their degeneracy memes.

So yes it's probably one single anon from /pol/ that is best left ignored.

I don't know why people here are so easily baited these days either so it's partially you guys' fault for responding to him.
>>
File: female orc.jpg (197KB, 1024x1536px) Image search: [Google]
female orc.jpg
197KB, 1024x1536px
>>51763179
That's just because the DM is glazing and isn't really establishing.

Alright, you enter The Bull's Horn, a drinking and dining establishment run by Targ One-Eye, the infamous ex-gladiator. Targ is a Minotaur and his missing horn gives the establishment its name. His reputation for fair dealing and excellent brewing brings in a disparate and mixed crowd. The Kobold troubadour Gev Allgold among them; right now Gev is obliging a charming young orc girl by plucking out a few traditional war ballads on a lute.

Verisimilitude is finding the balance between too much and too little information for the players to make good decisions.
>>
>>51771123
This sounds like a good game already
>>
>>51769217
Being - This New
>>
>>51763276
Fuck off

There's nothing implicitly wrong with doing it either way, you contrarian fuckboy
>>
>>51767671
Sounds like a white european abroad circa the 1400s and onwards.
>>
>>51766640
>I tried to force my players to use a fucking boring system and was surprised when they were bored
What did you expect? For them to jerk you off about how good you are at roleplaying currency exchange? You wanted to recreate one of the most boring parts of real life travel, why would players want that?
>>
File: smug_deg.jpg (17KB, 260x273px) Image search: [Google]
smug_deg.jpg
17KB, 260x273px
>>51763276
>>
>>51768816
>Int 7
Maybe to you that's normal, Forrest Gump
>>
File: hold.jpg (30KB, 400x384px) Image search: [Google]
hold.jpg
30KB, 400x384px
>>51764976
>a cow penis
so you are not only a furry, but also a futa lover?
>>
File: [flapping arms intensifies].png (278KB, 563x456px) Image search: [Google]
[flapping arms intensifies].png
278KB, 563x456px
>>51769217
>go to correct someone on 4chan
>it ain't me starts playing
>>
>>51763276
And I hate faggots like you.
>>
>>51763554
I like this one.
>>
>>51766564
Sounds like a shitty setting.
>>
>>51765674
Minotaur's aren't people.
>>
>>51769064
>Gnoll
>Paladin

So I guess Elve's are huge, hulking, feral beasts that live in jungles and are boogeymen, in this fuck-stupid upside down world you've created?
>>
>>51763276
This has to be bait.
>>
>>51771123
>you enter The Bull's Horn
>Targ is a Minotaur and his missing horn gives the establishment its name.

I walk straight back out. Fucking false advertising.
>>
>>51767463
Catoblepas, a rhino with a giraffe neck and warhog head, so ugly that seeing the face petrified people. Luckily it had a weak neck and rarely managed to look up from eating water plants. No idea how people got "poisonous metal bull" from that.
>>
>>51766833
>Fall-from-Grace hasn't been possible since 2E
WotC literally made a succubus paladin for one of their 3.5 web article things back in the day. I have no clue if they still have the 3.5 stuff up anywhere, though I'm sure some nerds somewhere made a backup.
>>
>>51763276
>Fantasy setting
>Things have to be a certain way
Nuh-uh these two things can't like each other because most other setting s say they don't!
OK this setting is different the races have come together because of a common enemy/love/religion/taxes.
Fucking liberals!!!
>>
>>51767463
>>51775195
A gorgon was typically a female beast.

Catoblepas was not a gorgon. It was considered closer to a basilisk.
>>
>>51775257
>because most other setting s say they don't!

Nice strawman.
>>
>>51775280
Yes, but the discussion was about how Gygax used bad sources that mixed up several monsters. Gorgons were immortal women with snakes for hair, brass claws and bronze fangs that turned you to stone. Only Medusa was mortal. But in DnD a gorgon is a metal bull with petrifying breath based on a mixed up catoblepas, and women with snake hair are medusas. Also the tarrasque is Gamera instead of a lion headed, croc tailed, six elephant legged turtle dragon with fire breath and flood summoning.
>>
>>51775463
Oh. Yea, it made me kind've pissed and confused when I first saw how Gorgon's were big dumb metal cows with poison breath.
>>
>>51766711
Or maybe you're playing the bad guys.
>>
>>51768052
>And just because some do that doesn't mean that all do that.

Orcs are not human, so it is absolutely believable that all do that.

>With a few tweaks that description of barbarism could be used to describe quite a few groups, from aristocrats who seek only more wealth and power at the expense of the people, to fascism and its seeking domination and genocide, to pretty much all facets of what is considered Evil.

Then that isn't a Barbarian, as all of those exist within a civilization. They don't want to break it down because it is what holds up their power.

The Barbarian exists in opposition of civilization.
>>
>>51768052
>And I haven't been making the mistake that they can't be evil, you're making the mistake that they must all be evil.

It's not a mistake. We've had this argument before in many threads, but the ultimately conclusion is, your train of thought makes everything grey and bland in morality. There is no evocative themes, because nothing is totally certain.

You want something closer to reality. I do not.
>>
>>51768790
>no one has ever heard of Planescape nor played it?

I have, and people fall on this crutch and misinterpret it to support the argument of grey morality.

That's wrong. Planescape enforces the strict morality. There are Good things, there are Evil things, there are Lawful things, and there are Chaotic things.

It asks the question of how do these elements work together when they can't just kill each other? What do their homes look like? What are their societies?

So in a way, it is the opposite of making it grey and bland. As alignment colours everything and everyone.

Planescape:Torment, while a good game, does not comply with this ethos, and so makes a poor Planescape game in actuality.
>>
>>51772020
Sounds even more like blacks right now.
>>
>>51772020
It sounds like every single civilization ever made, because it's vague and dumb.

Barbarians carry an anarchistic structure within their society, while still maintaining a relative governing body. They are as vast and complex as the opposing "civilizations" which aim to conquer and "tame" them. A barbarian views civilization as a way of subduing a man, stripping him of his freedoms. In a barbarian society, each person is their own authority, with the king/chief being more of a judge rather than being in an elected/chosen seat of divine/sovereign power.
>>
>>51772020
>>51775891

The fuck is wrong with being inspired by controversial material?
>>
>>51776150
Not as defined by Focault.

This post puts it better than I

http://monstersandmanuals.blogspot.ca/2016/10/tolkien-orc-barbarian-savage-and-sun.html
>>
>>51776204
If you look at actual historic examples you'll find he's objectively wrong in his definition of Barbarian's, and that even who he describes as "savages" have done just as the so-called "Barbarians" have.

Barbarian's are considered to have unrestrained by social stratification within a civilized society, and they consider that civilization in many ways is more barbaric than themselves.

The savage on the other-hand, even Barbarians hated. To be "savage" is to lack any sort of control, of which Barbarian's very much had. They're grouped with Barbarians only because of being outside of civilization, while they are different, and far worse, akin to rabid animals.
>>
>>51770936
Well, no. I'd never heard of Slack until just now. I'm reading through it now, though. The Red I was talking about appeared in a story I read. It killed an evil copper dragon that was lording it over a town and the town, used to having a dragon around, realized this Red was much less nasty than the Copper and elected him mayor.
>>
>>51776382
>If you look at actual historic examples you'll find he's objectively wrong in his definition of Barbarian's, and that even who he describes as "savages" have done just as the so-called "Barbarians" have.

I don't care about historical examples.

I'm not intent on emulating history or reality.

I'm also not above using totally factually wrong information as inspiration.
>>
>>51776528
Sounds like a really poorly written story.
>>
>>51774726
I'm sure that will be a great comfort to your character as he kicks his last at the end of a rope.
>>
>>51776561
>I'm not intent on emulating history or reality.

Then why are you trying to emulate historical concepts?

You say you're not looking at history, and then go and use history. It's asinine.

I feel like you're trying to pretend that you're avoiding some human level of relatability whether you want to admit it or not. All stories carry some semblance of human relatability in them. You can't have a story written by a human and not have it. It is empirically impossible, because your mind is objectively relatable ONLY to humans, any kind of abstraction from that is only a projection of abstracted human concepts.
>>
File: you're a fucking retard.jpg (61KB, 603x462px) Image search: [Google]
you're a fucking retard.jpg
61KB, 603x462px
>>51776644
I'm sure that will be a great imaginary comfort to you as you dangle as a half-breed from the end of a noose.
>>
>>51776665
>Then why are you trying to emulate historical concepts?

I'm not? Im using a philosophical idea of the Barbarian from a French philosopher. Which you yourself said is factually wrong, so it certainly can't be historic.

Unmarried to any particular actual political or ethnic group in history, and used as inspiration for the weird look-glass being that exists in opposition to us.
>>
>>51771097
Politically, the world's in a shitty place right now; everyone is angry for one reason or another, with varying levels of justification, but equal (and exaggerated) levels of unbridled rage.

It takes very little effort to spark an angry tirade out of people who, a year ago, wouldn't have detected subtle political undertones, but now see it in *everything* and react vehemently.

It's impossible to tell what OP was trying to actually say, but >>51763276 set the tone for the rest of the thread. It was an inevitability.
Thread posts: 337
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.