[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Picture this: >you're DMing a game for your friends >The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1478022244343.png (874KB, 900x800px) Image search: [Google]
1478022244343.png
874KB, 900x800px
Picture this:
>you're DMing a game for your friends
>The PCs are faced with a challenge
>they manage to deal with it, but their solution wasn't perfect and led to some loss of resource, like hitpoint damage or using up a magic item for example
>after the game, the players ask you "What was the actual solution to the challenge? What were we supposed to do?"

Do you tell them, /tg/?
>>
>>51758227
Depends on the challenge, to be honest. If there's any chance they could get back to it/reattempt it, then no. Otherwise sure, why not?
>>
>>51758227
Chances are I'm not using the same challenge again. So, sure, why not?
>>
Yes. But only if it won't be relevant in the future.
>>
>>51758227
There was no "actual solution". They had goals, I threw an problem in their way, they came up with their own way around it, and the game went on.
>>
>>51758227
>you're DMing a game for your friends

Can we at least try to be realistic here?
>>
>>51758845
This, no problem has a perfect solution, the players will find their way
>>
>>51758857
>You're DMing a game on Roll20 for a bunch of randos.
>The PCs are faces with a challenge
>they manage to deal with it, but only because the dumbass barbarian figured out a solution on accident, but it cost them a loss of resource like hitpoint damage or using up a magic item for example.
>after the game, That Guy demands to know what the solution to the challenge, accusing you of pulling GM bullshit out of your ass.

Better?
>>
Depends on the group

When I make problems like these, I always make sure I personally think of at least three solutions.

If the group is clever, then instead of leaving them I either alter the scenario or make them "trap" options, though not so severe that it's bullshit. One of my players is more dastardly clever than I am, but he thinks it's the other way around.
>>
>>51758227
"Anything that worked."
>>
>>51758227
If I'm running a published adventure and the problem/obstacle was in a location they'd never return to or an enemy they won't face again, I don't mind telling them whatever was the most optimal way of doing stuff.

If it's just shit I make up though, it's this: >>51758845
>>
Yeah, if they can't redo it.

For instance:
>Party gets cornered by super Orcs (TM)
>Archers in every window
>Shield every door
>Trapped inside
>Slowly gets pushed back to the roof

The PLAN was a friendly Dragon was going to come along
What actually happened:

Rogue of all people walks up to the commander
>"Fight me coward!"
>He accepts
>It didn't go well
>Now party is going to have to explain to the Cucked prince why the Princess they where ordered to rescue is currently marrying that SuperOrc (TM) and becoming a birthing whore for his army.

But, hey-ho silver lining, this is a far more interesting turn of events.
>>
>>51758227
I make up some bullshit

I never make problems with pre-built solutions. It's pretty much always just based on the first interesting solution the players come up with.
>>
File: tumblr_n1albcqLHi1sgv55fo1_400.gif (377KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n1albcqLHi1sgv55fo1_400.gif
377KB, 300x169px
If the thing they "missed" was from them being assumptive about things then I'll bring it up a little after the fact.

My players recently cleared a cave and only looted the big enemy. They all just assumed that someone else had looted the little one who actually had all the clues on him. As a designer you kind of have to assume that your players will act in certain ways (like looting chests, fighting enemies etc) so if they don't I use revealing the solution after the fact as a form of teaching them how my game world works.

seriously though, what kind of players don't actively loot every fucking corpse? Especially when there's a corpse that's dressed completely differently to all the others...
>>
>>51758845
This is generally how I handle puzzles
Even when there's a 'hint'
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.