[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is it about yugioh that is so attractive to black people,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 15

File: DProfile-Mitchell.jpg (28KB, 400x349px) Image search: [Google]
DProfile-Mitchell.jpg
28KB, 400x349px
What is it about yugioh that is so attractive to black people, and how come magic doesn't have it?
>>
Yugioh cards are easier to steal
>>
Shonen loving weeb is a running theme among black people, and yugioh is close enough.
Magic is "too white". The one black kid I knew in high school who played it had to keep it a secret because his family would have ostracized him if they knew.
>>
>>51757964
It's cheaper and more weeb than MTG.
>>
File: 1486064391968.png (234KB, 488x409px) Image search: [Google]
1486064391968.png
234KB, 488x409px
>>51757964
>it's cheaper
>>
Digimon is superior to pokemon
>>
>>51757964
Weebiness. That's it.

>>51757988
About the same difficulty really at Walmart. They're both just on the shelves so anyone can just walk up to them and stuff them in their pockets.
>>
File: 1423108247287.jpg (98KB, 340x563px) Image search: [Google]
1423108247287.jpg
98KB, 340x563px
anime tiddies
>>
>>51758523

Unless you are playing budget or random M:tG decks, YGO is cheaper these days, or perhaps on par with the cheapest M:tG constructed formats like Standard.

$0-10 for budget Magic
$30-75 for budget YGO
$200-300 for average YGO
$200-300 for Standard Magic
$500+ for high end YGO
$500+ for Modern/Legacy/Vintage
>>
>>51758877

Also, it's easier to just print the cards you can't buy on Yu-Gi-Oh.

I lost the count on the amount of people that I've seen playing with just copies. I never saw someone using printed copies of MTG cards before.
>>
>>51757964
Black people really like anime. And not good anime, long running high-filler animes that should have ended a long time ago like One Piece, DBZ, Naruto, and whatnot. YGO fits the bill for that shit.
>>
>>51758717

Ooga booga where da 2d white wimmin at?
>>
>>51758877
These prices are a tad off. There's more than a few good casual YGO decks that are running $5~25. You might get shafted on ED staples, but most of those are cheap and/or have really cheap equivalents.

The rest seems about right, though I don't think we've had a $500+ deck since Nekroz was initially released and Brio was $450 for the playset.
>>
>>51758046
It's basically this. Same with Mexicans, really.

They remember just enough about the anime about some dude with crazy hair fucking up people with cards. It's probably on the same level as Dragonball Z for them.
>>
>>51759003

You won't be running a complete good YGO deck at $25. It costs $30 minimum for three structure decks. Even if we assume the entire deck is commons that you buy for $0.10 online, you still won't have the extra deck which is where the majority of money is. You also won't have a side deck that has expensive tech cards that are crucial to shoring up bad matchups. Cards that used to be $1 or $5 super rares become $25 sideboard staples.
>>
>>51757964
Yu-gi-oh has a TV show and magic doesn't.
>>
>>51759003
>but most of those are cheap and/or have really cheap equivalents.

A lot of the ridiculous rank 4's don't have good equivalents in the form of an alternative Xyz. Their literal alternative is Raigeki or just doing without. Though to be fair, most of the extra deck is "you don't NEED this to win, but having this makes winning a ton easier."
>>
>>51759037
Ah, you were speaking exclusively of stuff you'd play at tournaments. Okay, in that case those prices are accurate.

You can build Cardians, Cubics, Shinobirds, Superheavies, and a few other decks for less than $15~20 these days (including sleeves), but nothing that will particularly do much against tournament-grade decks.

...then again, there's shit like Zefra that are $50 petdecks before staples.
>>
>>51759119

The problem with YGO is the casual scene is much rarer/more competitive than Magic's casual scene.

Even in casual card stores you'll see fully powered tournament decks. Back when I played, the only difference between a casual deck and a fully powered deck was the casual player didn't have 3 Pot of Dualities.
>>
>>51758997
they aint playing magic thats for damn sure
>>
>>51759160
That's mostly because when 3 Duality was the thing, casual-grade decks were literally just "Whatever the meta decks are, minus the rare/expensive stuff", because that's all that was functional.

Nowadays we have a lot better stuff for casual play, and the casual-grade decks are much more functional and aren't just "put a bunch of cards into a stack and hope I lucksack to victory". Super Quants, Raidraptors, pure Kaiju, Cardians, Abyss Actors, Zefra (and its half a dozen variants), Buster Blader (bad example), Melodious, Lunalights, Performapals, Fluffals, Yang Zing, Ritual Beasts, Assault Blackwings, Prediction Princesses, Reds, Resonators, Ancient Gears, Superheavies, Igknights, Normal Pendulums, Dark Magicians, Magician Girls, deskbots, Aquaactresses...all of these and more are functional decks that operate perfectly at the casual level.

I mean, you can still make a decently casual deck by just shaving off the expensive cards and filling it with generic stuff, but there exists actual decks that are good, fun, and aren't as potentially overwhelming to casuals.

You're still right about there being almost nobody that actually does it, though. It's hard as hell to find people outside of simulators willing to play the game at a casual level, mostly because the casual players tend to fold and quit when a new mechanic comes out.
>>
>>51758877

I believe you mean $500 for Standard Magic. $500 won't even buy you a full playset of lands in Modern.
>>
>>51757964
It's because of the Egyptian stuff from the anime. WE WUZ DUELERS N SHEIT
>>
>>51759345
>Igknights
Ahhh, my first "usable" deck was Igknights. I just continually popped them in to buy time while I could set up for a good synchro/XYZ summon. The closest I ever got in a tourney was dragging out a match against a Melodious user until they finally got me with that "you literally can't to anything to me" combo. I eventually quit and moved to casual MTG because my LGS was really fucking cancerous and like three people on my base played YGO.
>>
>>51757964
For me, it was just the shit I was exposed to as a kid. Cartoon Network really raised my generation, and for some unknown reason, it just happened to fit in with black youth culture. Most eventually grew out of it because it's "white" or "nerdy", but for some of us, the autism runs deep and we genuinely love and care about these franchises more than we care about fitting into a certain culture. After I watched Yu-Gi-Oh!, I got into playing Duel Masters which, if I remember correctly, was basically Magic The Gathering's manga. Then, a friend of mine showed me Magic. It reminded me of Duel Masters, so I caught on fairly quickly. Also, as people have been saying, it's a fairly cheap hobby. A few tins can give you a tournament ready deck that can fuck everything in a few turns with Yu-Gi-Oh!'s overpowered effects.
>>
>>51759445
Igknight Exodia is a stupid easy deck to make and fairly cheap.

>Melodious user using the Lockout after the fusions were released.
>Against an Igknight deck.
This is either "things that didn't happen" or "things that had no reason to happen but everyone was retarded so it happened anyway".
>>
>>51759550
Well, my Igknight wasn't an Exodia one, so I think this qualifies as the stupid part. I didn't even know about that combo at the time, desu, a buddy of mine just passed off almost a full set of Igknights when I was getting into it and I just built it from there.
>>
>>51759354
Depends on the deck and color combo desu
>>
>>51757964
Where I'm from, out of all of the 8-10 players of MTG at my college, 3 of them are black and one is asian. Two of the MTG players play EDH exclusively, though one of them is black. Another one plays standard exclusively. Yugioh is only played by 3-4 guys, none play MTG, though one of them is black.
I know that Yugioh has the marketing advantage due to the anime, which also helps save time on grasping the rules. MTG has lore, but its not bound by game mechanics and its all either literature or UR;
>>
>>51758046
>The one black kid I knew in high school who played it had to keep it a secret because his family would have ostracized him if they knew.

hahahaha
>>
>>51759856
It's a real problem. Inner city black kids who are into """"white"""" hobbies have literally been beaten (Some to the point of death) for it.
Yugioh isn't considered white, but Magic is.
>>
>>51759833
YGO's lore doesn't get bound up by the mechanics, either, at least not usually.

I wish YGO got more card lore literature, though. We only get it via the card text of normal monsters, or implied via card art. When Konami feels like actually explaining something, it's put in a book that never makes it outside of Japan.
>>
>>51759891
>black on black violence is a real problem

Tell it to the media, jive turkey.
>>
Black guy who prefers MtG here
2 things
>Blacks are weeaboos and YGO is Japanese
>White nerds have the stereotype of being incredibly racist, even if they pretend to hide it
Places like 4chan prove the latter stereotype to be accurate.
>>
>>51759989
>white people are racist
>people are racist

t. Occam
>>
Niggas love anime. Magic isnt very anime at all and and uses anime only on expensive promotional items for the japanese market.
>>
>>51760023
Reread the post senpai, I didn't say white people in general.
I said white NERDS
>>
>>51760035

Look up Occam's Razor.
>>
>>51759979
>j*ve t*rkey
There is absolutely no need to use that kind of language, sir
>>
>>51760111
Go back to tumblr with that shit pusswagon.
>>
>>51759401

So, they'll love the next MTG expansion, since it will have a egyptian motif.
>>
>>51759024

We Puerto Ricans love this shit too

>>51758976

And people that dont like DBZ are too busy fapping to Yuri on Ice and Boku no Pico
>>
>>51759989

Nigga, maybe in the US, but here in Brazil, the MTG store still has to deal with blacker ass guys playing Yu-Gi-Oh.

They are always the ones screaming, making a scene and fighting.

To be fair, I think it also factors in the fact that the average YGO player is younger than the average MTG player. Most people playing MTG now have been playing it for years and MTG is just isolated enough from the other card game communitites that they know how to not be loud assholes, mostly.
>>
>>51760111

I can't believe these people, just dropping JT bombs!
>>
>>51759989
Both points could be related, since YGO is considered to be an asian nerd's game.
>Places like 4chan prove the latter stereotype to be accurate.
Can't really give you evidence to the contrary, although where I'm from there were 2 consistent standard players who are black and 1 black modern player, but that was a year ago when I stopped going to FNM. There were also two (white) females, and one is transgender, though the latter one was the only consistent one (she played modern).
Everyone seems to get along. If anything I would consider myself to be the least likable person there.

>>51760023
>>51760083
I would think that black nerds in general would be less racist than white nerds in general considering that black nerds are in a hobby that was started by mostly white nerds, whereas white nerds would at times find it surprising, though not necessarily bad, that there is a black guy that shares an interest in a hobby.

Can't say where I live other than that I am American, but we do have a significant population of black and Middle Eastern folk, so that would explain something.
>>
>>51759989
>>White nerds have the stereotype of being incredibly racist, even if they pretend to hide it
We're not racist, just socially retarded. We react awkwardly to anyone who is different be it an overbearing parent, a cute girl, a security guard or a black guy.
>>
>>51759989
I find this to be too true in my area. Even though I don't play MTG anymore, whenever I overhear a conversation from the MTG players it is always "The Dakota Access protestors just hate white people" or "Why isn't Ginsberg dead already?".
>>
>>51760394
Hanlon's Razor
>>
>>51760202
WoTC wants the extremely valuable, but untapped, KANGS market.
>>
I could write a book about it, but I'll try to keep it short.

It isn't really a black thing. It comes down to a mixture of three key factors: Marketing, target audience and brand perception. Basically, the more mainstream a product is, the more diverse the consumer base gets.

Let's look at all the three key factors, all by one, while comparing it to its biggest rival MTG:

>Marketing

YGO has its roots in a popular TV show in one of the best slots on 4kids, which gave massive exposure to one of the biggest consumer markets: KIDS. The show was basically one giant marketing tool for the card game, similar to some 80's kids show, which existed for the sole purpose to sell toys. And you have to give it to YGO they did it perfectly, they taught the rules, they showed them different archetypes and they established an emotional bond with the cards, especially with the "boss" cards. Kids talked about it on the schoolyard and soon it caught on like a wildfire. We already had this kind of hype with Pokemon, but the Pokemon TCG had the problem of a way too diverse product lineup and kids don't bother with reading rules. The Pokemon TCG while performing solid, it really caught on after the TCG based game, which finally taught kids the rules.

Now let us take a look at MTG. MTG had none of it. There are books, which you only read because you play magic. There are comics, which you only consume because you play magic. There are games, which you only consume because you play magic. See a pattern here? Well, there been some advertisements in magazines, but nobody really cares about such stuff. Oh, and let's not forget the TV commercials, which been as forced and cringe as the newly Hearthstone ones: https://youtu.be/9QZ0YLfG9g8

Most people started MTG after they got exposed to it through a friend or family member.

1/2
>>
>>51761262

2/2

I'm tired and just make a quick run-down of the other two points since the first one was actually the big one.

>Target audience

YGO = kids = one of the strongest consumer bases = big consumer base = many players = diverse player base

The MTG player base originated from the 90's nerds, which been always predominantly white, and still is based on these players. People showed their friends the game and even these days it's how it get it's players.

>Brand perception

MTG has a massive brand perception problem. MTG is the oldest TCG in the world and that feels for many people like more like a burden. They hear early on about these old, powerful and expensive cards that they feel are needed to really play MTG. A other problem is the endless sea of different formats, which are also discouraging. 25+ years of magic can be easily be overwhelming for a starting player.

This is one thing YGO has one format and that's it. People know where to start and get through the reprinting policy of Konami powerful staples in their normal starter decks.

This last point now was kinda shitty written and arguably incorrect in some details, but I'm tired, don't give a fuck and you get the idea.
>>
>>51757964
MtG attracts more white nerds who are uncomfortably racist towards black people.

Source: look at how many fucking racists there are in this thread.
>>
>>51761715
Weak bait. Point to the racists. the KANGZ meme and the term 'nigga' aren't racist, at least not in the context of 4chan bants.
>>
I suspect it's the same thing that makes dragon ball and fighting games popular with them.
>>
>>51757988
first post best post.

YGO is a game where theft, cheating, and general niggerdom are seen as tools to win.
>>
File: 1449614543454.gif (706KB, 360x244px) Image search: [Google]
1449614543454.gif
706KB, 360x244px
>>51761262
>the TV commercials, which been as forced and cringe
oh god, the MTG commercials.
>>
>>51758610
I've noticed a lot of stores like walmart are starting to put cards like YGO and MTG behind shelves or glass like most game stores have been for a while. On the one hand it's sad to see shoplifting become such a problem that this needed to happen, but on the other hand it's about time they caught on.
>>
>>51761835
Except doing those gets you banned. Good job, /pol/ack: you gave >>51761715 a leg to stand on.
>>
>>51760214
I watch Yuri on Ice for the animation.

No, seriously, my Animation Professor has been spoonfeeding us clips from it because of what the show does with the figure skating animations.
>>
>>51761933
Is it all rotoscoped well or something? I actually haven't watched any of it myself.
>>
>>51757964
Because black people like to have fun and yugioh is fun, unlike magic.
>>
>>51762664
Well, they've got to spend some time away from /pol/
>>
>>51762664
Yeah. And you better keep quiet about it or we'll steal your deck box, bitch.
>>
>>51762664
>white people talking like they're ghetto
>"oh my god, there's niggers here!"
Fucking nerds. Go outside sometime will ya?
>>
>>51762852
To nerds, anyone with more than an LCD tan has to be ethnic.
>>
>>51758877
My standard deck is less than $100. It would be less than $50 if I didn't have a set of pushes.
>>
>>51763054
Must be shit.
>>
>>51762852
Well, he's actually right. I usually lurk here, and I'm a fellow of melanistic skin color.
>>
>>51763174
> of melanistic skin color.

Everyone has melanin you dipshit, just not the same amount.
>>
>>51757964
You know what's really odd? I only know like 4 white guys at my LGS that play MtG. Everyone else is Black or Latino (out of the 20 or so regulars). There's also this Asian guy who comes to FnM to trade, and two other ones who always just play Yugioh with each other in the corner. Never really thought about it until right now.
>>
>>51759989
Why are nerds more prone to being racist than other types of people?
>>
>>51763515
Your LGS is in the ghetto.
>>
>>51757964
Why is he so smug?
>>
>>51763597
Bitterness.
>>
>>51763725
Over what?
>>
>>51757964
It's cheaper, more weeb, and most importantly it's much simpler.
>>
>>51758933
We play with copied MTG all the time. You need 110lb cardstock, and sleeves, and a color laser printer.
>>
You know guys, why be racists on /tg/? I mean, we're already/were ostracisized due to our hobby. Why turn on each other? It doesn't matter what color, religion or nationality on /tg/. Because we're already outcasts and nerds and we should stick together.
>>
>>51763738
This world and the imaginary ones.
>>
>>51763221
No need to get angry, bb. I know that everyone has melanin. I was just using melanistic as another way of saying that I am African American.
>>
Had a drunk black guy come to our weekly x-wing miniatures night.

>Guy played Echo.
>Every time Echo decloaked his phone would play Deja Vu.
>I've never looked at Echo the same way.
>>
>>51757964
Because ygo in general is more over the top and flashy than mtg. It also has a mythos based in whateverthefucktheywant as opposed to mtg with is mostly fantasy based. So wider appeal?
>>
>>51757964

It actually may depend on where you live. I used to play Magic at smaller store that was closer to where I lived and there were quite a few black players. Two places where I've last played are a little farther out and I actually can't recall many black people.
>>
>>51762664
I live in a mostly white part of southern California, and STILL about 20-30% of people playing tgs at the lgs are black college age dudes.
>>
>>51760394
1. that's because we're held to incredibly stringent standards since we're not a protected species.

Some of the most racist and sexist stuff Ive ever read was said or written by black men. Don't even get a hispanic person started on the difference between mexicans, hondurans, and columbians. And american Hispanics HATE blacks, a LOT.

And a lot of this is socioeconomic. Poor people are super sexist and racist. Black and hispanic people are more often poor. White nerds are usually middle class. But since we have a large internet presence and actually have a sense of shame, we're way easier to cow with accusations of racism or sexism.

2. The culture of inner city poor people (who are very often black) is not one where white nerds are very comfortable. We do not spend our daily lives having to posture our belligerence to maintain our rep, and its shocking and discomforting to run into someone who does. It results in negative experiences. Tell a white nerdy kid who's been beat up or tormented by loud cruel macho bullies that he's supposed be nice to the ones that happen to be black, and he's going to drag his feet a bit.

I don't fucking want to have to spread my neck frill like a lizard and hiss at other dudes whenever I cross paths with them. I have better shit to spend my time on.
>>
>>51760412
The SJWs and trendy social-media bloggers and shit-stirrers have been using us as a punching bag for a while now, so there's less and less reason for us to want to be conventionally left or progressive.

We tend to be overly-analytical and get irritated by what we see as emotional arguments, and get way in to over-complicated philosophies (objectivism, urk)

We define ourselves by being the sort of person who says "well, actually..."

We want to be intellectual mavericks. We wouldn't be vocal atheists if we didn't think it was edgy to be atheist. And its not cool or edgy anymore to be progressive, left, liberal, or whatever. Its edgy now to talk about markets a lot, to complain about political correctness and the histrionic virtue-signaling of moonbat idiots, to track down all the stupidest examples of uber-PC SJW behavior. To point out that actually, cops kinda kill EVERYONE disturbingly often, and given that black people are 10% of the US population but responsible for 40% of the violent crime, most of which being black people killing other black people, white cops are the LEAST of black people's worries. And now that there's a media machine that seeks out examples of black people being shot by cops and regardless of the facts, spins every incident as a cold-blooded racist killing, so black people are left with the impression that cops just love killing black people for some reason.

Stupid stuff that doesn't make sense bothers us like an un-popped pimple. The Amish bother me. Fox News bothers me. the PTA banning evolution from high school science classes bothers me. Internet Feminists and Gender Warriors bother me. Cultural relativists bother me; I swear, if an aztec priest asked them to lay down on a blood-soaked altar, they'd gladly let their heart get cut out for fear of offending someone's quaint ethnic folkways.

Part of this is where the Alt-right and that fucking Milo kid came from.
>>
>>51764722
I take it you don't know what Hanlon's Razor is.
That or you didn't read the thread and just wanted to shit out a response to sound smart.
>>
>>51764916
>and that fucking Milo kid came from.
Don't (You) have a campus to go burn?
>>
>>51764916
This is possibly the most fedora-tipping post I've seen in years.
>>
>>51764955
I am pretty sure that the left wing rioters were the ones who smashed windows in. As they usually are. The Democratic party with their race baiting rhetoric is the party of civil unrest.
>>
>>51764996
...(You) as in Anon No.51764916
>>
>>51764955
No, I'd ignore him, as one does with trolls. He's an obviously insincere person; he's a professional shitposter.

Way too many people haven't wrapped their heads around the idea that in a click-based economy, outrage sells. Half of breitbart's traffic comes from liberal people hate-sharing their stupid shit. rioting and breaking windows just gave Milo a fucking STOCKPILE of ammunition.

>>51764958
Sorry if my self-mocking, sarcastic tone didn't come through properly. My internet chops are rusty.
>>
Real questions about YGO:

1- why do you guys hate keywords so much? Your card text is tiny and bloated as fuck

2- Why do you guys hate formats? Cards are fucking expensive as fuck and you have a ban list longer than the actual rule book.

3- How do you guys handle power creep ( obviously other than banning cards)
>>
>>51759071

Literally this.

Most people only ever hear about MtG through their friends.
>>
File: prequel.png (53KB, 862x786px) Image search: [Google]
prequel.png
53KB, 862x786px
>>51765206
>Your card text is tiny and bloated as fuck
Translation bullshit.

>How do you guys handle power creep
The power creep gets diluted by paradigm shifts.
Instead of doing thing A better, everyone starts doing thing B.
>>
>>51765306
But if A still out performs B?

What intices you to move on?
>>
>>51758046
ya this basically
>>
>>51765306
All I hear is you know the system is flawed but just don't think about it.
>>
>>51757964
Blacks love anime for some reason
>>
>>51757964
I don't know, it's not even about the WE WUZ thing because they liked GX a lot better than the original show
>>
>>51758877
500 doesn't even get junds 8 main cards senpai, let alone the mana base
>>
>>51763926
>You know guys, why be racists on /tg/? I mean, we're already/were ostracized due to our hobby.
part of the thing i love about my hobby is that there are no black people involved with it 90% of the time. also thats not how you spell "ostracized"
>>
>>51759345
I FUCKING love kaiju decks. As a original player and someone who plays a shit ton of magic, that might be one of the most fun decks I've ever played in any card game
>>
>>51765476
I'd be totally fine with more black people in the hobby, so long as they acted white.
>>
>>51765507
It's hilarious watching people rage quit when you tributed their "cannot be destroyed by card effects" boss monster.
>>
>>51765345
It doesn't.
>>
>>51765530
I love playing that online. Pair it with graydle shit as a back up plan and it is a salt mine
>>
File: projector.jpg (60KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
projector.jpg
60KB, 1000x667px
Black people are closet weebs. Nerd culture is rife among black people because it is something uncool or socially awkward that requires hiding from normies. If I may use an example: Black people constantly have to deal with black culture. But black culture (or at least what some consider black culture) doesn't always mesh with the modern culture today. Some of it is awkward, some of it embarrassing, some of it is inexplicable to those who are outside the circle. Thus, any black person trying to get ahead by conventional means has to "tone down the black". You hide that shit. You enunciate your words, stay clean-cut, blend in, go quisling. Thus it is second nature to pick up stereotypical "nerd hobbies" like watching anime, collecting card games, and browsing /tg/ and then making sure nobody outside of your circle sees it.
>>
>>51765206
>1- why do you guys hate keywords so much? Your card text is tiny and bloated as fuck
We don't hate keywords. The translation team we have is a pack of retards, so they use more words than they really need to and refuse to adopt the OCG versions of card text that make shit much simpler.

>2- Why do you guys hate formats?
Again, Konami is a pack of retards. There are a huge amount of formats (at least as many as MTG has, but I'm a bit rusty in fan formats for MTG so feel free to correct me), but Konami doesn't even try to support them, so they're relegated to specific groups that want to play those formats. Shit like Traditional and Unlimited are well-known, but you never hear people talking about shit like MegaBanned or UltraBanned formats.

>3- How do you guys handle power creep ( obviously other than banning cards)
This is a bit hit or miss. Some old shit like Pot of Greed and Mystical Space Typhoon are still good. A huge problem with people's perception of Power Creep in YGO is that they think the baseline was established in DM, when it was ACTUALLY established in GX. DM era didn't know what the fuck it was doing. 95% of the cards were useless even then. There was a time when Celtic fucking Guardian was meta in the really early days.

GX era established most of the shit you see today: archetypes working together, generics being mostly okay or tying better to specific decks, monster effects being more important than just out-beatsticking the other guy, and good sense of how combos work. But most returning players didn't play in GX era. They played in DM era.

That explained, power creep isn't all that bad in the game proper. Competitive power creep is fucking insane, but at the casual level the game's not honestly that much different. Old school Cyber Dragon decks can compete decently well with shit that came out literally a week ago unless it's meta, and that's without their new support.
>>
>>51765388
c >>51759891

Kids watch cartoons.
Blacks don't like white stuff.
∴ Black kids watch Asian cartoons.
>>
>>51765651
Oh, and as an additional note to the "Konami doesn't support non-Advanced formats", if you DO manage to get a community going around a fan format, and it gets any amount of popular, Konami will send lawyers after your ass.

As much as I thought the formats were stupid, ARG's custom banlist (only made after 6 months of no banlist changes in the middle of a t0 meta), and New-Gi-Oh's remake of Goat Control Meta were both shot down this way.
>>
>>51765345
Biological urge to procreate, eat and sleep.
>>
>>51765728
>DO manage to get a community going around a fan format, and it gets any amount of popular, Konami will send lawyers after your ass.

Okay, there is not supporting a format and then there is being a massive cunt.

How can you support a group of douchebags like this?
>>
>>51765837
Because it's literally only Konami of America. KoJ doesn't do this shit, or does it to a much more reasonable extent.

Learning moon is hard, and it can be annoying to have to tell non-speakers what your cards do, or have to look up every fucking card on the wiki to check/prove what they do. Not to mention, you can't play tournaments in TCG regions with OCG cards. The inverse isn't true.
>>
>>51765837
Is that even legal?

Like you can do whatever you want with your cards, Konami literally can't tell you how to use them after you purchase them.
>>
>>51765881
Pretty every modern EULA says you have a license to use the product, but you don't actually own the product.
>>
>>51765881
As a Business Law major, it's legal because Konami of America can claim that the fan format is cutting into their product and their ability to profit off that product.

In ARG's case, though, it was ARG in breach of contract. ARG vends Konami's product, so they have to follow Konami's rules involving that product, which includes tournament stuff. Try to make your own banlist, and you don't get to sell Konami's shit anymore.
>>
>>51765893
Yeah but you aren't violating that by using them in a different way.

Only if you publish a format and receive money for it do I think you actually have a case.
>>
>>51757964
Magic needs another set with Koth on the cover obviously.
I do remember a black girl at the local community college playing Magic though. She wasn't fat but somehow had BIG tits.

Anyway, magic is usually spread by friends while Yu-Gi-Oh is spread by shows. Since it's a pain to get that one black dude who gets their friends into the game, Yu-Gi-Oh wins.
>>
>>51765896
>Try to make your own banlist, and you don't get to sell Konami's shit anymore.

What if you don't sell their product to begin with?
>>
>>51765896
> Konami of America can claim that the fan format is cutting into their product and their ability to profit off that product.

So I, as a producer of Coca-cola, could say the same shit about Jack Daniels because if people mix our products together I will sell less Coke.

Someone needs to challenge this shit.
>>
>>51759354
i payed around 500 for a merfolk deck, and a bit more for a cherros deck

high end legacy is like 10k+
>>
>>51765938
Then see first point. They can claim you're cutting into their profits. Somehow.

>>51765968
No, the legal counterargument there would probably be along the lines of "Wait, but tons of people only like Jack when it's mixed with Coke, so really it's the other way around".
>>
>>51766003
>high end legacy
Legacy is more like ~2-3k tops.

You don't start going into 10k plus unless you play unproxied vintage or you pimped the hell out of your deck.
>>
File: 1463229514887.jpg (86KB, 634x724px) Image search: [Google]
1463229514887.jpg
86KB, 634x724px
>>51757964
Wait, are those the fucking vic viper line? Did that shit actually top?
>>
>>51763926
Spotted the newfag
>>
>>51761580
Don't forget that all those kids who watched the show are hooked on nostalgia like crack addicts. Just look at how much legacy shit and support Konami cranks out, almost more than the new sets themselves. And I'm pretty sure OG yugioh still airs on saturday too, it's a pretty fucking solid marketing scheme. Young kids buy both shit from the new show and old, and older people see shit like Yugi's legendary deck in target and buy it for a rush of nostalgia.
>>
>>51766105
No. They're getting new support which will make the deck playable IT ONLY TOOK THEM A DECADE, but it's not out yet and likely won't top anything worth topping.
>>
>>51765576

As a black nerd who knows several other black nerds, the bullying was never that bad. Why pick on the black nerd- who has a chance to secretly be a stereotypical angry black guy who will kick your ass- when there are so many seemingly squishier white nerd targets? Sure, you got name called, but it's not like we ever feared people beating us up like our white friends did. And most bullies were white simply because there's more white people everywhere.

The hardest part about being a black nerd- for me at least- was being an outsider in society in general as a "the nerd" but also being an outsider among fellow nerds and society in general for being "the black guy".

People heap all the baggage they have about nerds AND black people onto you until they get to know you, and in our day to day lives, we never really get to know each other that well.

I remember getting pulled over by an officer due to a missing tail light. He asked what I was doing out at 2 am on a weekday. I explained to him that I had just finished playing Warmachine at the comic shop. He didn't believe me until I showed him my minis bag.

After he leaves, he immediately turns around and pulls me over again, claiming that he "smelled something."

I've had non-white girls girls turn me down because I'm lame and white girls turn me down because they don't date black guys.

You have to live a life where people assume that you're simultaneously a poorly educated sexually/physically aggressive criminal and/or also a feckless socially awkward loser and/or a race traitor and/or a poser.

That feeling of not fitting in anywhere your whole life can be worse than the couple of assholes who picked on you in high school. I remember being fairly aloof and doing a lot of code switching.

It's not much a of a problem for me these days. A combination of getting older/wiser/not-giving-a-fuck and hipsters/sjws/millennials being cooler with nerds and black people. Thanks Obama!
>>
File: 1483043135078.png (7KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1483043135078.png
7KB, 300x300px
>>51766218
Word.
>>
File: 1485663566331.jpg (6KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
1485663566331.jpg
6KB, 275x183px
>>51766218
Sounds rough man. I feel your feels in different ways. The 'outside looking in' feeling permeates everything, even when i'm not intentionally trying to get away from it. Not exactly a problem with a good answer, but just being confident and ignoring it like it's not there has actually made all the difference for me. Other people usually won't let you in until you force them to... Which sounds awful!
>>
>>51765651
>There are a huge amount of formats (at least as many as MTG has, but I'm a bit rusty in fan formats for MTG so feel free to correct me)
MtG officially supports 6.5 formats: Standard, Modern, Legacy, Two-Headed Giant (really a format modifier, hence the .5), EDH, Draft, and Sealed. Yu-Gi-Oh, last I checked,
>>
>>51765896
So theoretically I can form tournaments using packs or boxes as prizes, and as long as I don't actually also *sell* them I'm good?
>>
>>51765893
Cards nor packs have EULA's.
>>
>>51757964
Simpler mechanics.
MTG is a high IQ game unless you play aggro.
>>
>>51759345
Could you possibly invent gayer sounding deck names?
>>
>>51767790
Other Honors.
>>
File: d06.jpg (36KB, 853x479px) Image search: [Google]
d06.jpg
36KB, 853x479px
I wish I had a nerdy black best friend
>>
A lot of black nerds are fairly casual. They grew up watching DBZ and yugioh as a kid so they stick with what they are familiar with, it's just a natural extension of the media that was marketed to them, but many don't take the full leap into autism like playing Vanguard. MTG is the middle blur between full assburgers and normie (most people know about MTG anyway) so there are some black players, but yugioh still wins out.
>>
Yugioh is made by the japanese and I have it on good authority that all blacks are giant weebs.
>>
>>51766003

And merfolk isn't a good example. It's a non-tier-1 deck that isn't going to cost you 1k because it's one of the few mono color decks that isn't complete garbage. It's wr isn't anywhere near something like Jund, where the deck is quite expensive because of the lands and the staple cards in g/b.
>>
>>51757988
dubs and FPBP
>>51760023
>whites
>people
WE WUZ KAINGZ AN SHEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIITTTT
>>
>>51757964
It's an anime. Black people love anime.

t. Black person (who loves anime)
>>
>>51758523
I liked the one with the "i'm still in bed honey"
>>
File: tumblr_loal57yTbj1qbnd1c.gif (448KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_loal57yTbj1qbnd1c.gif
448KB, 500x275px
>>51766218
That's pretty lame that you have to balance two stereotypes, especially considering that one of those stereotypes is something that you are born with and cannot be closeted like being gay or trans (unless you're partially black and are white passing).

I can't even blame anyone for my problems. I'm just mediocre and unlikable.
>>
>>51760344
Here's another one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru0K8uYEZWw
>>
>>51758877
try 1500
>>
>>51763036
>To liberals, anyone with more than an LCD tan has to be ethnic
Fixed. Source: "I'm 1/16 Cherokee"
>>
>>51766218
>>51765576
I had the opposite problem. I got rejected by black peers because I enjoyed classical music and reading.
>>
>>51763738
Sour grapes
>>
>>51771449
Sounds like it yeah
>>
>>51771699
>liking classical music
lol what a fag
>>
>>51773959
I will fight you anon.
>>
>>51761715
Shut up darkie, go play your inferior card game while drinking some grape drank and eating KFC
>>
>>51766218
Is that you, Dex?
>>
>>51774519
With what?
Your powdered wig, you foppish fag?
>>
>>51771699
>classical
Baroque master race.
>>
>>51771699

Yeah but not many white people really like classical music either. It's not like you're going to be the hit of the party when you drop the latest shit by Yo Yo Ma just because the party is 90% white people.
>>
>>51765345
A never outperforms B. That's the issue.
>>
File: Oh really.gif (643KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Oh really.gif
643KB, 500x281px
>>51757964
One hundred and sixty replies and not a single one of you fuckers makes the easiest joke of all time.

It's cause Yu-Gi-Oh has a shadow realm.
>>
Western fantasy is europe-centric. Very By-us-for-us.
Magic focuses heavily on western fantasy.
Yugi-oh is Japanese. The by-us-for-us nature isn't there and is filled with wacky animu/vidya feeling shit.

Also selling venues.
Magic sells in the comic shops, where white nerds by comics about white guys.
Yugi-oh sells in the convenience stores in inner-city neighbourhoods.

Magic is about complicated special effects and encyclopedic knowledge of the cards from every set.
Yugioh, much more straightforward and simple.

Later tonight: Why women play Vampire: The Masquerade but not Traveller.
>>
>>51766218
>I remember getting pulled over by an officer due to a missing tail light. He asked what I was doing out at 2 am on a weekday. I explained to him that I had just finished playing Warmachine at the comic shop. He didn't believe me until I showed him my minis bag. After he leaves, he immediately turns around and pulls me over again, claiming that he "smelled something."
>It's not much a of a problem for me these days. A combination of getting older/wiser/not-giving-a-fuck and hipsters/sjws/millennials being cooler with nerds and black people. Thanks Obama!

The people making your life worse are making my life better. The people making your life better are making my life worse. Multiculturalism is truly a failure at every level. We must be separate to thrive.
>>
>>51782418
>Why women play Vampire: The Masquerade
'trading sex for power is attractive to women', said least-surprised man ever.
>>
>>51782607

We're all thriving, the suckiness just gets spread around a little more. In less-multicutural communities, it's not like you don't still have scapegoats or people to discriminate against. It just becomes based on stuff other than ethnic appearances.
>>
File: haruhishrug[1].png (573KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
haruhishrug[1].png
573KB, 960x540px
>>51782721
>'trading sex for power is attractive to women', said least-surprised man ever.
To be honest, as a man I'd probably enjoy playing a game where I'm a woman trading sex for power. Not even for the magical realm factor, but for the "so this is what easy mode is like?" factor.
>>
>>51759989
As a white nerd, I hate blacks mostly because they don't like my white hobbies, so there.
>>
>>51782418
>yugioh
>not having western fantasy
Magicians and wizards with staves, knights, malevolent winged dragons, harpies, and Celtic Fucking Guardian.
And that's just Duelist Kingdom.
>>
>>51786139
In fact, I'd go so far as to say YGO is more Western than Japanese. There are way more knights than samurai, for instance.
>>
>>51764916
That's not Leftism. That's just bitches.
Leftism is all about murdering monarchs and overthrowing Capitalism. Good shit.
>>
>>51764996
We need more civil unrest. The road to freedom is flooded with the blood of the wicked
>>
>>51765924
Should've plowed her fields, boy
>>
>>51782721
The women Inknow play it for the part where you cannibalize people's souls to become stronger. That's their jam; it's pretty fucked up, diablerie fetishism
>>
>>51766003
The most expensive legacy deck I can think of is either lands or shardless, and both those are around 3.5k.
>>
>172 replies
>not a single "WE WUZ KING OF GAMEZ" joke

I am disappointed /tg/
>>
>>51787146
It's too obvious, so nobody went for it. Also, it'd be KANG, not KING.
>>
>>51763926
Because if I wanted to talk to a monkey I'd shoot myself. My youngest brother is Catholic and that's 150% way to fucking jewish for me.

Jews and niggers don't belong in fucking Norway.
>>
>>51765432
>le jund meme
>le most fair deck
>le interaction

Jund is fucking unfun and grindy my dude.
>>
>>51761863
in big box stores, the trading cards and such aren't owned by the retailers but by a third party that basically rents space in the store
we literally don't give a fuck if their shit gets stolen and have no way to report it
>>
>>51769071
I Woolie is my favorite best friend.

Pat is my true favorite, but some of the things he does, make me realize I'm just younger, taller, hairier, smarter, more red headed Pat.

For example, I sleep ontop of my blanket so I don't have to make it in the morning. Pat does fucking worm gymnastics so he doesn't hsave to make his bed.
>>
>>51771428
So happy they stopped watching Bruce Lee and moved on to DBZ.

Now they fight like retards and get their shit pushed in by white dudes again.
>>
>>51763926
Have you actually dealt with niggers?
>oh lets have niggers post on 4chan
>what's the worst that can happen?
>>
>>51765206

Keywords are stupid.

t. Someone who has played Magic longer and more extensively than you ever have.

The longer your game goes on, the more unwieldy your list of keywords to memorize. There's a reason WotC put reminder text on keywords whenever they can.
>>
>>51788020

All people who claim they're not racist against blacks haven't dealt with niggers. Even blacks don't like niggers. Put some dumb white liberal faggot in a black neighborhood for a month and he'll be crying to go home.
>>
>>51782607
>We have to be separate to thrive
Separate based on what? Race? Religion? Language? Handedness?

Remember when being left handed caused you to get beaten at school by the teachers?
>>
>>51761856
I have to admit, I would rather see extreme 90s humor than jacestice league shit any day.
>>
>>51757988
TIL: I'm a more accomplished thief than black YGO players.
>>
>>51765681
>Kids watch cartoons.
>Blacks don't like white stuff.
>Black kids watch Asian cartoons.
I was immediately reminded of black people watching Hong Kong martial arts and wuxia movies decades ago.

>>51759989
>White nerds have the stereotype of being incredibly racist, even if they pretend to hide it
But educated, democrat-voting whites that can afford nerdy hobbies are exactly the people in least need of sensitivity over racial issues.

What the actual fuck guys, seriously.
>>
>>51788630
>democrat-voting whites
They do need explanation of basic economics, though.
>>
>>51789765
If they didn't, they wouldn't play trading card games.
>>
>>51761775
>bants

It's like nobody on 4chan understands what that means
Thread posts: 190
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.