[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Real question for the GMs and DMs out there. Do you even bother

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3524.jpg (219KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3524.jpg
219KB, 2048x2048px
Real question for the GMs and DMs out there. Do you even bother using published stats for creatures or do you just handwave? Or my favorite of using a published creature's statblock for a different creature.
>>
>>51757940
Yes to all.
>>
I use published stat blocks but I roll HP for everything.
>>
>>51757940
I take the essentials from the block. For D&D, that would be: HP, AC, attack hit/damage rolls, CR, and XP. I'll guess and approximate things like STR, speed, or known languages.
>>
>>51757940
I find some CR balanaced creatures and reskin them as I see fit.
>>
>>51758130
You don't have very fun players, do you?

No one ever tries to damage stats or force saves on monsters? What are they, a 5-martial group?
>>
I pretty much make up monster stats on the spot in my head and write them down as needed, unless I've already come up with some ahead of time for some reason.

To be fair, it's very easy to do in the system I use, so I don't really feel beholden to lots of books full of pre-statted stuff.

I sometimes use a D&D monster manual and just do "on-the-fly" conversions, if I'm feeling lazy and don't feel like thinking up a 'new' creature.
>>
File: stats.png (112KB, 537x363px) Image search: [Google]
stats.png
112KB, 537x363px
>>51757940

There is only one statblock.

For years my players have fought the one statblock to rule them all, never realising that every goblin, towns guard, lich or even dragon they fought was really just an owl bear in a costume.
>>
>>51760078
Shit GM.
>>
>>51760868
Why would you reply to a troll post
>>
>>51757940
When I got not enough time to properly prepare the game session I use published stats, often with some improvised changes and a completely different looks for the creature.

If I got time, I like to make the enemies myself.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.