[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> New Unearthed Arcana: Warlocks and Wizards. http://medi

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 419
Thread images: 24

File: 9937349723497.jpg (217KB, 1024x1331px) Image search: [Google]
9937349723497.jpg
217KB, 1024x1331px
> New Unearthed Arcana: Warlocks and Wizards.
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/20170213_Wizrd_Wrlck_UAv2_i48nf.pdf
>Don't forget to fill out the official survey for Sorcerers.
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/ede55d46dded

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Old campaign..
>>51751521

After the Mystic and other psionic shenanigans, what would you like to see in Unearthed Arcana?
>>
>Kaladesh pyromancer
This is how a fucking sorcerer should be: pure, unrefined energy that destroys all targets, regardless of their defenses and while encouraging them to get close. A magic shotgun where you could get close to hit em but you sure as shit don't want to without catching a face full of irresistible elemental fire.
>>
Hey, anons? Can someone add a copy of Kobold Press's Southland Heroes to the mega? The Midgard Heroes book is there, but the sequel isn't.

Also, simple query; since the three iconic White Plume Mountain weapons all made their way into the DMG, do you think it'd be possible to update Frostrazor from "Return to White Plume Mountain" as well?

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Frostrazor
>>
>>51757163
Warlord.

Warlords could be fun.
>>
I must say this, I get the feeling that some of the magic item rules from Plane Shift Kaladesh are quite useful for putting together magic item economies and production in place in Eberron. Also, combing the ability to purchase charges for rechargeable items as certain types of dragon shards?

Also I wonder how the Artificer fluffs into the presented rules of Plane Shift Kaladesh.

Now for OP's question.

>>51757163
I want the delayed downtime UA they've been mentioning, for more ways to spend money and do base and resource management stuff perhaps.

Or some more setting specific playtest runs like the Eberron one we got for the near to first UA. Maybe some small playtest containing rules for a 5E Darksun.
>>
What's a good justification for cantrip staffs being the primary ranged weapon in a region despite them being more expensive and potentially less effective than a longbow/crossbow?

As of now I'm thinking
>Region is a desert
>No trees means no bows/no new arrows
>Desert however produces some natural resource thats good for making cheap, albeit too weak for any real strength, enchantments, thus making Firebolt staffs a common ranged weapon

>Staffs degrade quickly if taken out of the desert (either due to magic bullshittery or just humidity) so bows are still the weapon of choice outside the desert

TLDR how2 make magic guns only viable in one region
>>
>>51757211
Much as the Warlord's return would be awesome, you know they're going to point to the Battlemaster and the Banneret and maybe even the Knight archetypes they've already done and say "this already fills that role".

>>51757222
I figure the Artificer makes perfect sense as the "aether technician/inventor" stand-in class. It's probably the primary Consultate-aligned form of mage in the plane.
>>
What is the most powerful party of 4-5 adventurers right now?

Looking for a fair mix of magic and melee.
>>
>>51757289
2 clerics, 2 paladins, and a wizard.
>>
File: disgusted and disapointed pepe.png (48KB, 400x389px) Image search: [Google]
disgusted and disapointed pepe.png
48KB, 400x389px
>>51757163
>Not putting /5eg/ in the title.
>>
Meganon, now that there's an actual archetype option in a Planeshift, can we get the material added to 5etools?
>>
>>51757254
Students have more time to train with staves (Since they may be a stepping stone in a ladder of magic) than with crossbows and such. (Proficiency)
Students can focus on their studies, and not getting more accurate, nimble and all that. (Int instead of dex).
They have other uses. (Fire staff to light fires - cantrip casters thus don't need to take as much stuff rather than a load of ammo and a crossbow)
They don't need to be strung before battle. (I'm not 100% on crossbows, but at least bows you shouldn't have strung all the time).
Having a range of cantrips is more versatile than a load of piercing weapons. (Damage types)
Cantrips can get better. (If you're of the right level, you can cast cantrips for better damage such as 2d10 instead of 1d10, without needing a feature such as 'extra attack' from a class. Though I guess naturally even NPCs get multiattack.)
Their enemies might have abilities such as 'deflect missiles', or countermeasures against non-magical weapons or projectiles. Shield of arrow attraction/protection, non-magical weapon resistance...
>>
File: PS_Kaladesh_Pyromancer.png (16KB, 321x283px) Image search: [Google]
PS_Kaladesh_Pyromancer.png
16KB, 321x283px
Does this win a prize for being the tiniest archetype ever?
>>
Since no one has actually linked it yet:

http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf
>>
>>51757419
Technically speaking that award still goes to Champion, but that certainly has "least amount of page space" down pat.
>>
>>51757254
Magical stones and naturally occurring minerals are found in the sand, some may not know where they come from, some may say a firey stone from the sky fell and exploded over the desert, and they able to be sculpted and focused with minor magical additions.

Common stones make firebolt or Conjure Flame. Uncommon can do burning hands, rarer can cast Aganazzar's Scorcher or Scorching Ray. The rarest cast Fireball or Wall of Fire even.
>>
>>51757419
Wins a prize for actually feeling like a fucking sorcerer archetype where you're a magical force in your own right.
>>
>>51757467
>Sky Leviathan
Helloooo polymorph
>>
>>51757289
Necromancer: Skelemancery.
Oathbreaker: Good damage, buffs your army of undead and fiends later.
Bard: Obligatory. Whatever. Probably Lore.
Moon Druid: General tanking expert.
Arcana Cleric: Removes whatever negative spell effects are desired. Life instead, in a low enemy caster campaign.
>>
>>51757419
It's like the champion of casters.

>Uhh, I guess you hurt people more by casting fire spells. And you get resistance. And ignore resistance. And then get immunity. And ignore immunity somewhat. And people get hurt for touching you. That's about it.
>>
>>51757419
>The suggested fix for that one feat
>but as a level 18 ability
Sheeeit.
>>
File: Swampdetail.jpg (369KB, 800x727px) Image search: [Google]
Swampdetail.jpg
369KB, 800x727px
>>
>>51757598
Simple is better for sorcerer. They should be direct and powerful as opposed to varied and subtle. Gives them their own niche amongst the casters.
>>
>>51757419
Wait, the wording for Fiery Soul can be taken two ways here.
When an enemy is immune to fire damage, does it take a resisted hit or normal damage?

Because it says you ignore resistance, but then to treat immunity as resistance.
If I was treating it as resistance, then I'd ignore said resistance.

Fucking Wizards
>>
>>51757718
I would interpret it as
immunity->resistance
resistance->normal
Though i'm sad it doesn't also go
normal->vulnerable
But i could see how that can be interpreted the other way.
>>
>>51757315
Meh, it's fine. "/5eg/" still appears in the body of the OP.

>>51757185
I now know how I'm playing Dresden
>>
>>51757718
If they meant immunity means nothing then they would have said immunity is treated as normal.

If the creature has resistance, then you treat it as nothing, but if they have immunity, it is treated as regular resistance.

It's hard to get that the wrong way.
>>
>>51757718
The intent is that Immune creatures are treated as though they instead had Resistance under normal circumstances, in other words, they only take half damage.
>>
>>51757760
See, that's how I assumed it was, but it really should have been worded better.

Normal->vulnerable would have been really cool, actually.
If you're getting so good that you can hit through immunities, why wouldn't regular foes be taking extra?

>>51757781
>>51757787
Thanks, I'm just a little annoyed at how it's worded.
>>
How many sorcery points should mantle of flame cost to gain use of before a short rest, 2?
>>
Has a fixed and/or balanced, but interesting, Kensei been made or posted anywhere? I liked the idea of a fightin' armourless badass monk who uses a sword but the mechanics from the UA left a lot to be desired.
>>
>Aetherborn prefer the pronoun "they"

Let the butthurt begin
>>
>>51757650
If you want simple, might as well make a blastlock.

Still doesn't help much of sorcerer being wizardlite. It really feels kind of like a waste to make sorcerer archetypes before they finally realize they should really fix up sorcerer a tad.

And it'd be cooler to have some at-will fire abilities to go with it. Like an advanced version of produce flame and thaumaturgy or something like that, or control flame. Set up burning fire traps like 'create bonfire', light up caves, make torches glow pretty colours.
>>
>>51757816
Long rest I meant.

Trying to see if I can spend something to get it back so I can use it more.
>>
>>51757797
>but it really should have been worded better.
Yeah it should have just been worded as
>Additionally, your flame becomes pure and unrefined, all damage resistance is treated as 1 step down for your fire related spells; immunity becomes resistance, resistance becomes normal state, normal state becomes vulnerability.
The problem is the lack of term for an enemy without resistance or vulnerability.
>>
>>51757816
Make it like the Evocation Wizard's Overchannel feature, with an increasing cost each time. First time is 1. Next time is 2. Next time is 4. Ect.
>>
>>51757830
>Getting assblasted over non-organic lifeforms not having/using gender identity
Powerfully stupid, famalam.
>>
>>51757718
What? How is that complicated.
If it defaults to resistance, ignore that.
If it defaults to immune, it kicks down to resisting.
You should be more concerned about the fact that the caster is resistant to all fire damage--except their own.
>>
>>51757836
That would have been perfect.

>The problem is the lack of term for an enemy without resistance or vulnerability.
After all these years, I don't see why we don't.
>>
>>51757834
Well, sorcerers in general need extended spell lists I feel. Doesn't give them so many spells that the wizard feels his (admittedly enormous) toes stepped on but enough that they can afford to choose some spells that aren't specifically for their archetype. Like, all fire based sorcerers should just fucking get firebolt and fireball.
Combine with spell points and sorcerer could possibly hold their own against wizards if the origins turn them more into magical shotgun, which they should.
>>
>>51757797
>why wouldn't regular foes be taking extra?
It makes sense, but letting a sorcerer deal double damage against most targets would be hilariously OP.

>>51757834
>Bonus cantrips
The archetype doesn't give access to fireball either. It more-or-less assumes you'll pick the right spells yourself if you're going for a purist interpretation.
>>
>>51757847
You misunderstand. I'm not butthurt, I'm just assuming butthurt will be had by others.

>>51757850
We can take a leaf from Nethack and call it nonresistance.
>Elves are nonresistant to fire
>>
>>51757866
Well, yes.
The idea is to give them a lot of versatility within their domain, but not outside of it.

Load of fire spells they can cast at varying levels. Mini fireballs, big fireballs, normal fireballs. Big burning hands, small burning hands, fireball that leaves a burning area, that sort of thing.
If it's about the area they're specialized in, nobody should be better.
But then the wizard will still have much more adaptability and versatility, having a much wider range of spells. And that's the point.
>>
>>51757874
>It makes sense, but letting a sorcerer deal double damage against most targets would be hilariously OP.
At level 14? I'd be fucking shocked if a DM sent literally anything that didn't have fire resistance by that point. Other than nonmagical physical attacks and likely poison, fire is the most commonly resisted damage type.
>>
>>51757836
>In addition, any spell or effect you create that deals fire damage overcomes any and all defenses. Creatures with immunity to fire damage are treated as having only resistance, creatures with resistance to fire damage are treated as if they didn't have it, and all other creatures are treated as if they have vulnerability to fire damage.
>>
>>51757874
>letting a sorcerer deal double damage against most targets would be hilariously OP
Considering how late game it would, I don't see too much of a problem.

>>51757893
>We can take a leaf from Nethack and call it nonresistance.
Works for me.
>>
Unearthed Arcana is gonna be on Tuesday next week.
>>
>>51757914
Thanks for the heads up, Mike.
>>
File: gob_cave.jpg (4MB, 1856x1472px) Image search: [Google]
gob_cave.jpg
4MB, 1856x1472px
>>51757921

No problemo.
>>
Has anyone actually played sorcerer and didn't feel powerful? Don't you have like 1-10 extra spell slots depending on your level?

I really don't see anything bad with it, sure they don't get the 10,000 spell options but they get the most cantrips and more spells to cast before a long rest. They also have better action economy with casting spells on action and bonus action and constantly shifting sorcery points and spell slots to do stuff.

And they have the "best" casting stat, and con save proficiency, other classes would kill for that.
>>
>>51757895
I'm still trying to figure out metamagic options and possible reworks that I could give to a sorcerer and allow them more options since all their utility and specialization should come from metamagic. How many sorcerery/spell points would a wizard style overchannel cost?
>>
>>51757957
I'd test it out at 1 point per spell level as with Twinned Spell, but if that proves to be to good, consider upping it to 1 + spell level.

Also, name for this metamagic: Maximized Spell
>>
So, /5eg/, how will you adapt the Kaladesh material for your own setting?

Personally, I'm going to allow players to pick the Vahadar subrace as a wood elf variant.
>>
>>51758003
Another question, how stupid broken would it be to combine multiple metamagic effects or is there any possible way to make it not that strong? Because I want to enable all metamagics for use at some point and it would be cool to see them combined.
>>
>>51758003
You could do a shitton of damage with Spell Bombardment.
>>
>>51758018
Pyromancer is in, and using the magic item invention rules. Probably adding in Aetherborn to our next campaign.
>>
Balanced or na
>>
>>51757942
I would say wisdom is the best casting stat myself, because wis saves are so much more common than cha saves.
>>
>>51758083
What the actual shit is this that's assaulting my eyes. That formatting is physically painful.
>>
>>51758034
That would encourage sorcerer players to have no idea of resource management at all.

>Walk into combat
>Blow everything straight away
>Whine about not getting a rest for the next few hours

If metamagics were cheap and there's plenty enough points to use then sure, maybe.
>>
>>51757163
Although it wouldn't work all that well, I would love to see a planeshift:lorwyn and shadowmoor.
>>
>>51757942
Breadth beats out depth unless you know at chargen or level up what the DM's going to hit you with.
A wizard player who gets his writing done and picks his spells right will blow a sorc who picks "universally good" spells out of the water.
But a sorc with said spells will be more useful than a wiz who picks the wrong spells.

Basically, wizard has a higher in-game skill ceiling but a lower floor. Played right they're better, played wrong they're worse.
>>
>>51757942
Clerics have wisdom as their casting stat (easily better than charisma, I'd say. Perception is a very important skill and wisdom is a much better save).
Then, clerics have heavy armour, so they don't need con save proficiency as much - if they don't get hit, they don't have to make a save.

And as it stands a wizard could start with a level in fighter for a load of armour and con saves instead. But honestly I don't think that's something a DM should allow.

Also, wizards get arcane recovery, which is essentially 1-10 extra spell slots depending on your level. Well, if you could even hold that many level 1 spell slots anyway. Otherwise it's just a sliiiightly worse version of using your sorcerery points for spell slots.
And if you use your sorcerery points for that, why be a sorcerer?

Not to mention land druid gets a twice as good version of arcane recovery.

And wizards can cast rituals out of their spellbook without having even prepared it, as if they didn't already know enough spells.

And there's too many charisma casters. Int is a much 'rarer' stat than charisma, so being a wizard fills a slot that's rarer to be filled than charisma.

Played a sorcerer on my first time in 5e and felt perfectly fine, but that's only because everyone was new anyway.
>>
>>51757467
>create pentadrones as common magic items
>>
>>51758083
Not balanced, getting too much at level 3 and not getting any downsides. You get the reaction AC the speed and the blade form. Lose the speed.

Cut down on the number of Bladeforms you get st the beginning, two is fine, then one and one.

Should be playable then.
>>
>>51757942
I played the Favored Soul variant and it was a lot of fun. I certainly felt useful to the rest of the party.
>>
>>51758083
>>51758230
Actually I'm not done. Get rid of advantage on initiative and give a ribbon in there. Out of combat bonus with some fluff.
>>
>>51757942
The sorcerer is fine. People are just angry that the wizard is (still) overly versatile and OP and are used to comparing sorcerers and wizards because of 3e.

>>51758083
>"After the DM makes the roll, but before you know if the attack succeeds or fails"
Unless your DM isn't rolling behind a screen, what is the point of this?
Otherwise, surprisingly balanced, except Lake Parts Before The Blade is OP at low levels, when characters/creatures have a low number of attacks per turn. Either make it use a reaction or give it a level requirement (at least 11).
>>
Guys, hot off of the official Dungeons & Dragons facebook page.

Next UA is Tuesday the 21st instead of Monday.
>>
Reusing Aetherborn as a ghost/undead race, yes/no?
>>
>>51758335
Wow fucking slackers maybe if they took their dicks out of each other's mouth for more than enough time to cum on each other's faces they'd get UAs done on time.
>>
File: The full blaned experience.jpg (35KB, 720x694px) Image search: [Google]
The full blaned experience.jpg
35KB, 720x694px
>>51758335
>Mystic getting delayed EVEN MORE

This is even cuckier than Space Engineers General getting cucked out of Blaneds over and over.
>>
>>51758343
Not with that +2 charisma, you aren't

>>51758352
>>51758364
Edgier than a bastard sword and equally obsolete
>>
>>51758364
It's one day, calm down.
>>
>>51758225
>Lifecraft of almost any creature can be created
>says nothing about creature type
>CR 2 and under Lifecraft can be built as common magic items
I'm building an army of mimics.
>>
>>51758364
>>51758352
Guys, Monday is a holiday.
>>
>>51758371
I'm sure somebody said 'It's only one X' every time they delayed mystic before.

How many times has it been now?

>>51758391
Fuck you, I'm going to capitalize on every second of it.
>>
>>51758400
>How many times has it been now?
Literally over a year
Still, Monday IS a holiday.
>>
>>51758408
>Monday is a holiday
???
What holiday? Am I forgetting something?
>>
>>51758391
>>51758408
>>51758423
It's president's day, which isn't a REAL holiday, all I've seen it for is an excuse for car dealerships to make big deals about sales.
>>
File: allahu.jpg (20KB, 694x530px) Image search: [Google]
allahu.jpg
20KB, 694x530px
>>51757163
>this retarded thread
Anon abstain...

>nobody made a thread
Well nobody eats its own shit anon why haven't you done that instead
>>
>>51758018
Where is this material found? Is it 3rd party?
>>
>>51758328
I'm still of the opinion that Wizard should be a ritual-focused caster, rather than a versatile sorcerer.
>>
>>51758369
Charisma is force of personality, not beauty.
>>
>>51758504
No, the newest Planeshift just came out:

They also have those for Innistrad and Zendikar.
>>
>>51758504
It's WotC, but it's from the M:tG team. see: >>51757467
>>
>>51758527
>>51758533
Interesting, I think I was unaware of this until now. Thanks to both.
>>
>>51758522
I didn't say it was beauty. It's force of personality but also... well, charisma, or personal magnetism, as well as the ability to get along with others.
If you can devise undead that have those... go ahead, I guess, but it would be a bit weird.
>>
>>51757419
It's almost like a find and replace of storm sorcerer to make it fire element with ignores immunity instead of flying and no ribbons. It is very compact.

Should I mention that spells and effects you create would downgrade immunity and ignore resistance to fire damage, even your own?
>Pyromancer kills himself with a fireball.
>>
>>51758560
Balors have 22 CHA despite being utterly horrifying. Sheer force of will and threat presented by something leads to a higher CHA as you're just able to more readily communicate how little you should be fucked with.
>>
>>51757193
>do you think it'd be possible to update Frostrazor from "Return to White Plume Mountain" as well?

yeah
>>
>>51757914
Damn, holiday means I will have to change my route to work and now won't have any juicy UA to discuss once I get there. At least next week's UA is confirmed already.
>>
DMs - how do you manage encounters on the fly? Do you have specific statblocks that you use for everything and refluff? Do you asspull stats out of the air? Or do you consult KFC/the handbooks every time for quick ideas?
>>
>>51758335

>hot off the
>was mentioned an hour ago

wut
>>
Tips on rping a Yuan-Ti or Lizardman's lack of emotion?

Is it saying I should literally be playing them like a vidya character who responds to NPCs how I expect them to best respond in kind rather than how my character should feel about the situation?
>>
Not even reading the other replies.
>>51757942
>Don't you have like 1-10 extra spell slots depending on your level?
>more spells to cast before a long rest
That's wizards. You're thinking of wizards. It's easy to get them confused, I know.
>hey also have better action economy with casting spells on action and bonus action
Still wizards.
>and con save proficiency, other classes would kill for that.
Now maybe you're talking about sorcerers.
>>
>>51758683
Mixture of
>Do you have specific statblocks that you use for everything and refluff?
and
> Or do you consult KFC/the handbooks every time for quick ideas?

Random tables and the like are also helpful.
>>
>>51757419
>spells you cast ignore resistance to fire damage
>any spell or effect you create ignores resistance to fire damage and treats immunity to fire damage as resistance to fire damage
>which you are already treating as ignoring

I get what it's going for but for a long second there I thought it meant fire immunity was cancelled, everybody go home.
>>
File: 14158-14215-30207.jpg (17KB, 478x346px) Image search: [Google]
14158-14215-30207.jpg
17KB, 478x346px
>>51757893
>I'm just assuming
>>
>>51758595
>Pyromancer kills himself with a fireball.
This actually sounds very thematically appropriate.
>>
>>51758483
It's not a holy day, but it is a federal holiday. You and I don't care, but payroll does. Payroll always cares.
>>
>>51758701
A creature without emotion is going to be sitting still in a corner until it dies, because it has no desires and no preferred outcomes.
>>
>>51758819
Okay fine captain autist, the specific brand of emotional distance and objective reasoning rather than emotional "outbursts" listed in the books for the races described as "lacking emotions".
>>
Guys, guys, help me build a one shot session for a team of 6 to 7 bards

I have only ever DM'ed published adventure modules before so I have no idea how to do this
>>
>>51758819
>What is survival instinct?
>>
>>51758819
You're a fucking idiot
>inb4 i was only pretending to be retarded
>>
>>51758881
>one shot session
Shit son
[Arch-fiend/tier 1 demon] is on a rampage
Your band of entertainers needs to stop them
WITH THE POWER OF SONG
Just make a disney movie
>>
Does whoever ripped the SKT tokens in the mega still come to these threads? I would love it if they or someone else could provide the roll20 tokens for Lost Mine.
>>
>>51758881
King holds a competition to find the best bards in all the land to play at the wedding of his daughter. Your band of merry men has to compete in musical contests, riddles, arena combat and other stuff to prove their worth. Bonus points for whichever bard seduces the princess.
>>
>>51758881
Something where they have to travel to a land of oppressed people to get rid of the fun-loving tyrant ruler and instill hope, joy and music.

The classic 'no music allowed!' sort of area.

Even better, have the bards be rebels who have been secretly doing music and magic.
>>
>>51758922

Beats my "Watch a shit load of Josie and the Pussycats episodes and somehow turn one of them into a D&D session when THE PROM IS TOMORROW" idea that I had
>>
>>51758712
A 20 Wizard gains 10 level 1 slots back on a short rest, or 2 level 5 slots.

A 20 sorcerer gains 2 lev l 5 slots and 2 level 3 slots over 4 turns of bonus actions.

Wizards need an hour nap to gain slots back sorcerers need 24 seconds while still blasting spells off.

I'd love to see a Wizard bonus action a meteror swarm.
>>
Oops I had posted in the wrong thread.

Essentially I'm having a hell of a time making a map for my adventure. It just never looks like a realistic map. Any suggestions?
>>
>>51758881
They are in a band and have a gig in the capital city at the end of the week, only problem is their tour carriage broke down so now they have to hike and hitchhike their way across the country to put on the show of their lives
>>
>>51758882
The distinction is arbitrary. Survival instinct (and all other instincts) manifests in emotions.

>>51758871
Just say, "I don't understand this thing you humans call... 'love'" every so often.
>>
>>51758701
Play them like mob. Someone who always seems like they're a little bit bored or uninterested, even if that's certainly not the case - they could be enjoying themselves, even if they don't exactly experience 'fun' in the same way as the conventional person might. Someone who doesn't really laugh, though they understand the jokes and why they should be funny. They're capable of smiling, they simply...don't, their expression almost always neutral.
And, of course, have it so that when their repressed emotions can no longer be contained by their subconcious, they come out POWERFULLY.
>>
>>51758980
>The distinction is arbitrary. Survival instinct (and all other instincts) manifests in emotions.
>Insects have emotions

If the original premise of "no emotion = no action" was right, bacteria would also need emotion.
>>
>>51758967
Depends on what level you want the bards to be and what aesthetic you want. Remember, just make any sapient, big monster to entertain/fight and roll with it. Part of the adventure is getting something to specifically stop them from rampaging and then getting passage. And you can't sing traps to stop working but you can dance past em.
>>
Why does Hobgoblin Warlord have +9 to hit when he has a STR mod of +3 and a proficiency bonus of +3?

Also, he has ZERO skills, that's retarded
>>
>>51758971
I think you (you)'d the wrong post anon.
>>
>>51758960

Footloose is fine too.

Hmm. I'm thinking Band (called Vicious Mockery) saves the town from mind controling gynths or something through the power of song, count arrests them, in prison they found out the gynth were just trying to make people dance, and in the end they team up to topple the count during a "NO FUN ALLOWED" speech
>>
>>51757163
EBERRON
B
E
R
R
O
N
>>
One that draws me about 5e is that both a level 20 solo adventurer, and pretty low level ish full parties, can both be challenged by about CR 7 foes, so I could introduce whichever style of enemies genuinely whenever I wanted to, whereas in 3e enemies absolutely have an expiration date.
>>
>>51758683
KFC is super helpful for building quick encounter.

Templates are also useful (4e's Elite and Minion templates work well here) and just adding / removing traits on the fly does wonders.

Rarely do I ever make a statblock on my own, if its usually only for named baddies who may crop up multiple times in the adventure.
>>
Anybody got additional shit for ogres, stat blocks or otherwise. I got at least 2 supplements for trolls but nothing for ogres. I want to make them more Warhammer fantasy style but i'd need a bit more on them, at least stat wise.
>>
>>51759019
No deliberate action, if you want to split hairs. A rectum doesn't need emotion to spew shit, but a 4chan poster does.
>>
>>51757289
Playing in a homebrew game which is D&D meets Cops, Suicide Squad, and Blade Runner.

We're all Lord's Alliance Operatives with two double agents, one for the Harper's and one for the Zhentarim. The team is split between cops and ex-convicts who are Geased and have cursed tracking armlets they have to wear when they are out of their cells working for us.

It's a test of UA stuff mostly so it's pretty much us pushing the limits of the material.

For the cops we have:
>Inquisitive Rogue/ Gunsmith Artificer
Decent gun damage and acts like the hardboiled detective. Pretty much the Mr. I'm too old for this shit with his robo attack dog and an alchemy jug almost always set on beer.

>A Boy Scout Half-Elf Horizon Walker Ranger who is irritatingly by the book, chipper, and teleports all over the place.Even though he's the nicest guy on the team we think he's the Zhentarim double agent but we don't know for sure.

>Half-Orc Inquistive Rogue/Battlemaster fighter
Mr. Headknocker but he's missed a few games and said he might need to quit. He was our muscle and had connections to the solider regiment.

>Criminals

>Human Fiend Warlock/ Red Draconic Sorcerer
Insane Pyromaniac that uses Kiss of Mesothopheles and Quickened Spell to fireball and burn his enemies away. He took elemental adept but knowing the GM and >>51757419
they might let him respec into pyromancer over red dragon. The only reason he's on the team is because he's the son of a noble who went mad after being kidnapped and tortured by a death cult for a year. They don't want him dead just yet because his occasional ravings reveal things the cult were doing against the Alliance but he temporarily gains lucidity after going out and blowing shit up (especially the cultists). We only bring him out on away missions but if he behaves then we can work within towns.

>Gnome Alchemist Artificer/Lore Wizard
Not really a bad person but she's a grade A cloud cuckoo lander with a penchant for drugs and chemicals.
>>
>>51759031

I definitely want that "WE WILL ROCK YOU" feel. I feel like the right level for that is around 7, but because I want to include as many different schools of bard as possible, 10 would let them use their first magical secrets and enable some wacky spells, like Awakened Tree groupees.
>>
>>51759060
+3 weapon obviously.
>>
>>51759113
Why don't you just write them yourself? It'd take five minutes.
>>
I'm interested in trying out a Warlock but I don't think the class offers enough to main it. How many levels would you dip into it to get the most of out of it?
>>
>>51759179
3 is what most people seem to recommend. It's not bad in a 3-level dip at all.
>>
File: Bard.jpg (21KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
Bard.jpg
21KB, 600x315px
>>51758960
>>51759068
No music allowed! Music leads to EMOTION!
>>
>>51759179
Depends what you're multiclassing it with.
3-5 is typical, though 2 is sometimes a possibility.
>>
>>51759179

No more than 3, two is the best option most times
>>
>>51759135
We're all machines, anon. A robot would still be able to make decisions even if it had no "emotion."
>>
>>51759232

Nah, it wouldn't. A Robot would know what decisions were most eficient, but it would have no incentive to pursue any of them.

Both self continuation and self destruction are equally valid options to a purely logical machine because logic is nothing but analysis
>>
Would you want to see "Specific Pact + Tome/Chain" invocations like Blade got? If so, what should they be?
>>
>>51759202
>>51759215
>>51759229
Three it is. Any consensus on which Patron/Pact Boon is the best? I was debating between the Fey, GOO, Hexblade, and the Raven Queen.
>>
>>51759280

the one that informs your roleplay
>>
>>51759280
>Deciding on level without even knowing what the other class you're fucking doing

But why?

If you're a paladin, it's 3.
If you're a sorcerer, it's 2 or if for some reason UA content is allowed for multiclassing it's 2 OR 5 if feylock.
If you're a rogue, it's 5.
>>
>>51759277
Absolutely. Not sure what they should be though. I also think the Raven Queen needs another Invocation or two just for itself. It only got two while the rest got 4 or 5.
>>
>>51759277
A familiar that isn't a 7-10 hp piece of shit? How about some ability to exchange your Pact of the Chain CR 1/4 to 1 dude for a more powerful fiend, celestial, etc., perhaps one subjugated through Planar Binding like how a Pact of the Blade can swap his normal weapon for a found magic item?
>>
>>51759321

You can already roleplay for more powerful familiars

Familiar Pact of the Chain CR has a limit of 1/no limit (other than Tiny size)
>>
>>51759276
Logic is nothing but analysis, but if you have a goal coded in (for example, self preservation) then you can use logic to achieve these goals.

You're a robot. "Emotions" is just what you call the messages different parts of your brain use to communicate their goals to each other.
>>
>>51759141
cont

The gnome is our go-to nerd because she really wants her stint in this unit to be over and get back to her lab. The only reason she got busted was that she was creating bootleg moonshine and recreational drugs that were undercutting Zhentarim rackets and they blew up her lab. She survived but was blamed for the destruction of several houses along with her drug running.

We have a wildcard that is an NPC right now but I think we have someone who wants to play her if our Half-Orc guy can't make it.

>Feral Tiefling Paladin of Conquest
Ex-Paladin of Vengeance that went full Punisher on people and wants crooks, criminals, etc to be subjugated and cowed. Teeters on edgelord but she's good at what she does and the Alliance sees her as an asset as long as she's contained and used against their enemies. She also has wings and fairly high strength so she grabs enemies and drops them when she's high enough (which causes issues for us when we report to the council).
>>
>>51759277
That should've been something in the PHB. I hope they add more invocations like those on a new splat book, and also more like Kiss of Mephistopheles which is way better than "you can use this spell once per day while wasting 1 of your few spell slots" shit we have.
>>
>>51759164
Ogres don't have any defining characteristics or features like gnolls with rampage so its hard to give em something interesting. Combined with me still being iffy on giving shit appropriate CR's and evaluating AC/DPR for monsters I'm not confident that I could come up with anything good.
>>
>>51759315
I've got a couple of different ideas but nothing that's set in stone. I was just trying to see what people thought was the ideal dip into it so I can keep that in mind.
>>
>>51758971
>A 20 sorcerer gains 2 lev l 5 slots and 2 level 3 slots over 4 turns of bonus actions.
But anon, that's 7+7+5+5= 24 sorcery points. You don't have 24 sorcery points.
>>
>>51759339
>You can already roleplay for more powerful familiars

...what does that even mean? Roleplay in the sense of what, that you can roleplay for a stronger flurry of blows or rage mechanic?
>>
>>51758391
They've only used this excuse four times in two months. Get your shit done a day early and schedule it to publish.
>>
Is there any buffs for distant, subtle, extended, and careful spell to make them actually viable options against the others?
Would making subtle spell not give off any sign of spell casting, not just components but not even a flash of light for throwing fireball, be too strong?
>>
>>51759452
Gee, it's almost like there have been more than a fewof holidays these past two months or something.
>>
>>51759355
>but if you have a goal coded in

Welcome into emotion anon. The process of associating cognitive biological values to abstract information in order to create an agency map with which you navigate the world in order to fulfill your goals

Like, do I need to sit you down and have you watch Inside out or something?

We're not pulling this out our ass anon, this is literally psych 101. It's the role emotions play in our minds.

Sometimes, someone comes along that gets a brain injury that turns off one's neural connections to one's emotions, but leaves everything else entirely untouched, and the result is just drop in life quality, as there's no emotion that drives them to do anything other than eat bread, drink water, shit when its painful and sleep when you're exhausted or suicide because there's no emotion stopping the person from doing it.

Even psycopaths have emotion anon, just no empathy
>>
>>51759436
2 2nd level spell slots. Still more slots back.

Just trying to get at sorcerer doesn't need some rework just needs to be played and see what it can do.
>>
>>51759477
Oh, and should empowered be changed to a more maximize style effect or left as is?
>>
>>51759449

If you encounter an imp or a pseudodragon or a quickling or whatever, you may come into a bargain with it where it comes into your service as a familiar.
>>
>>51759419
That's a good point. I think you should still do it, though, just wing it and hope it works.

If you want to make them more like WH ogres, give them special charge attacks to account for their fatness. Like, they get mad bonuses to bull rushing, or grapple bonuses if they body slam, or they can make a special unarmed attack for massive damage as a bonus action on the charge.
>>
>>51759509
>DM fiat can give you better skills
Amazing. How come nobody has discovered this yet?
>>
>>51759488
I am aware, as you'd notice if you read the rest of the comment you replied to.
My point is that emotions are entirely unnecessary if an organism has another way to communicate goals. Ants seem to function in a pretty complex way without emotions, and they do more than eat and shit. AI can absolutely get shit done despite not having a strict physical need or the mechanism of emotion.
I don't think we're in stark disagreement here, and I'm not as ignorant as your comment makes me out to be. There's really no need for the condescension.
>>
>>51759420
It really depends what you want.

Level 5 gives 3 invocations, access to certain invocations such as 'extra attack' (Mostly rogues want this) and level 3 spells.
Level 3 gives you pacts, which is essential for anyone who wants charisma-shillelagh (Mostly paladins want this). Level 2 gives you 2 invocations, which makes eldritch blast great for the rest of your levels regardless of how you multiclass (Abjuration wizard or sorlock wants this).
Other possible multiclasses I've either forgotten or they're suboptimal.
>>
>>51759509

Same way you can come into a bargain with a dragon for an egg that gives you a more powerful mount than one procured with Find Steed
>>
>>51759525
I'll give it a shot
Might as well try my hand at monster gen with the simplest of them.
Probably will end with man eaters since they're the most difficult to get a good read on.
Also, are tyrants, in the wargame, tougher than a mournfang rider?
>>
>>51759539
>if an organism has another way to communicate goals.

Such an organism is beyond human design or comprehension, so the discussion is moot there.

> Ants seem to function in a pretty complex way without emotions, and they do more than eat and shit.

They don't. They do have emotions, depending on how you look at it, they're almost nothing but emotions.

> AI can absolutely get shit done despite not having a strict physical need or the mechanism of emotion.

It really can't. An AI can correct its reasoning until it finds a correct analysis for a parameter, or repeat patterns of preference, but it can't get shit done by itself. If anything, you can get shit done through it, but "philosophically" speaking, there's no difference between the agency of that, and that of a can opener

> There's really no need for the condescension.

You know what, I'm actually sorry for that. My bad.
I hate when people pull that out on me
>>
>>51759633
>>51759539
can both of you please go shit up a different thread, this one's about D&D
>>
>>51759534

It's not DM fiat, its literally within the rules. It's why "Variant Rule: A familiar can be any Tiny creature" exists, and why the entires "A pseudo dragon comes into an agreement as a familiar under very strict rules, and if its master breaks them, it will simply leave him without warning"
>>
>>51759655
There's no mechanic for it, it's DM fiat
>>
Though derision towards DM's fiat sure paints me a picture of what your game is probably like
>>
>>51759681

Only in the same way feats are DM's fiat.

They're the mechanics called "talk to your dm to put your good ideas into actions within the parameters offered by rules and lore"
>>
>>51759684
I'm the DM of my game, but I'm just saying that the fact there's a short sidebar about alternative familiars in the Monster Manual hardly devalues Chain Pact Warlocks because it's not a reliable option in the way that a class feature is
>>
>>51759566
When I still played OK, Mournfang riders weren't a thing.
>>
>>51759701
Feats have direct mechanical effects and uses.
Alternative familiars are basically just a fluff sentence in the MM that the DM needs to work to implement (not that that's bad - see >>51759709)
>>
>>51757163
wheres the link to the kaladesh thing?
>>
>>51759738
Read the damn thread.
>>
>>51759754
>read
zip it, fool, I'm talking to the cool kids.
>>
My mines if phandelver have gotten way off the rails.

>captures the manor and liberates the town from redbrands
>goes to clear orcs, which they think are bigger threats than the black spider(who tried to have them assasinated)
>they investigated the orcs and I just described the orcs as having a unique symbol on their armor
>make a big bad tanrukk
>he is wielding a cursed great of berserking
>party goes from level 4 to 6
>after killing him and getting his axe I give out a belt of hill giant strength
>while they rest out in the wild they get ambushed
>fighter wearing the belt gets reduced to 1 hp by a wyvern
>they have rolled everything so I decided to increase the difficulty
>wyvern takes damage and picks up the near dead fighter
>fighter breaks free, uses his two swords as picks to climb up the wyvern
>wyvern is shrieking and twisting to dismount him
>fighter grapples the dragons wing and surfs it from 70 ft up
>they are heading back to town
>oh yeah we forgot about the castle and dwarves

How should I make goblins.. more tough? Numbers? Maybe a shaman or two?

Or should the keep be full of more heavily armed hobgoblins and bugbears?

I also am thinking of making venomfang an adult dragon instead of young... since they will probably kill him in one round.
>>
>>51759808
It's been posted twice already. Read the damn thread.
>>
>>51759808
>>51759738
Here you go, my nigga.

>>51759754
Yo, stop being rude, white elf boy!
>>
>>51759836
Thanks, my nigga.

>>51759830
Why can't you be helpful, senpai? Who hurt you?
>>
File: 1485507162916.jpg (4MB, 1023x2296px) Image search: [Google]
1485507162916.jpg
4MB, 1023x2296px
>>51758578
Try Inkarnate. It's very shitter friendly, and once you learn how to chisel in the coast instead of having oval penis geography you can get some pretty nice maps.

Main issue: you can't increase the size of the map, so you have to become a wizard to chain maps together.
>>
>>51759870
Holy shit my maps look like garbage compared to that
>>
>>51759811
Numbers and cunning can always make easy monsters a vast challenge in 5e unless the level gap is absolutely absurd. But a hobgoblin or two and a couple of spellcasters should help.

Venomfang could even still be young, except they have some back-up and some tactics.
>>
>>51759811
You may have messed up. Anyways, I'd bring in a few more Hobgoblins and have them use tactics, or something.

Could throw in some Goblin Assassins hiding in strange places in the castle, waiting to ambush them- Hidden compartments in the floors, under tables, clinging to the roof, etc.
>>
CoS spoilers:
How come Ezmerelda's backstory doesn't match Van Richten's journal? Ezmerelda's backstory says Van Richten spared her family, and his journal says he (or his undead) killed all of the Vistani.
>>
>>51759494
>Just trying to get at sorcerer doesn't need some rework just needs to be played and see what it can do.
You're doing a really poor job of it.
>>
>>51759870
Yeah I've tried it before. I usually end up just making something that looks terrible and give up. I just feel trapped and I'm stressing myself out trying to get a map made.
>>
>>51759905
It's the first real dragon these players are going to see, I want the dragon itself to be incredibly intimidating. Not propped up by cohorts. Should I just inflate the young dragons stats and give him innate casting?

>>51759918
My players really seemed to think that there was an Orc threat, after the cave encounter they were looking for the path the orcs came from and ultimately they ended up stopping a warband from forming.
>>
>>51759855
>too dumb to ctrl+f
>still tries to be funny
You're setting yourself up for failure anon
>>
>>51759477
Extended Spell could give you a bonus on concentration checks
Careful Spell could save allies from half-damage from your spells when they save, like Spell Sculpting
Though honestly, these options still wouldn't be very dynamic compared to Quicken or Twinned.
>>51759508
A Maximize Spell would cause very wacky interactions with Spell Bombardment, especially if you rule to let every max dice roll to explode.
>>
>>51759855
Don't be a nigger, learn to ctrl+f
>>
>>51760012
I'd break it up into sections.
Basic Shape
Chiseled Coast/Rivers
Mountains
Picking the equator (mentally note where deserts are compared to greenland)
Placing cities near water
Broad brushing greenery/deserts/icelands
Aesthetic detail

I think the hardest part is probably the last one. I would look at a map like the one posted, and copy everything on a micro level. Most waterways have discoloration at their lips. There is a decent distinction between different terrain colors's borders. WIthin the borders there is sparse dottings of color over very blended color.

If you can accomplish part or all of one goal each session then you know you're making positive progress.
>>
>>51759509
You can already get an imp or pseudodragon as a familiar. There is no provision for upgrading it, even though in many campaigns a DM may envision a stronger creature as being willing to gain immunity to death in exchange for a mild amount of service.

>>51759655
It is not "literally within the rules," it is "literally within a thread on tg." No suggestion that it is, should or could be possible.

>>51759701
No.

Feats are an option.
Non chainlocks with imps and pseudodragons is a variant.
Laser gunz and honor are DMG optional rules that you may or may not wanna use and that the DM should think about before he does, and should probably only introduce 1 or 2 at a time so he can track how it affects the game.
Using stronger creatures as familiars is something that nothing suggests it should be possible even as a variant.
That sort of thing may or may not be *good* but there seems to be no provision for it or suggestion it'd work.
>>
File: 8592-29069-8826.jpg (15KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
8592-29069-8826.jpg
15KB, 320x240px
>>51759738
>>
It's not like you have to throw the strongest example of a race before the weakest example.

If anything a weak example of a dragon is good training before they encounter a real big one. They should learn that a big one will be just as cunning, sly, have things serving it etc etc yet be even stronger for when they see a big one.

It wouldn't be bad to give them a bit more health and innate spellcasting, but I think it'd be better to show that at least some dragons aren't idiots, they'll do things such as attack from the skies where they're harder to get at or using cheap tactics or commanding others to make use of action economy. Of course, you have to question whether it's in the dragon's nature or not, but...

Even if you just soup it up a lot, a single creature is generally not the best of fights in 5e. At best you end up with a creature with legendary actions and legendary saves so it just negates all the player's most fun spells and effects and fucks people up off of its own turn, but personally I find it coolest when the monster sticks to the game rules as much as possible and sucks up to taking being paralyzed or stunned but turns out to be a very tough fight because of their tactics. Or something.

Anyway, I could go on for ages, but if it's too much or you don't want the dragon to be smart/don't think it should be, you can just buff it into an older dragon with legendary actions/resistance, I guess.

>>51760159
>Feats are an option.
>Fighters are an option.
>>
>>51760239
>>51760019
Whoops, forgot to link excessive wall of text.

I'm a sucker for sly villains over mary sue villains, part of why I like 5e more than a couple of previous editions.
>>
>>51760146
Thank you. I'll sit down and do this over a couple days.

How should I go about scaling my map? I've made a map before and I felt that the scaling was poor. Any tips or tricks to keep scale realistic?
>>
>>51760087
>>51760105
Did a samefag hurt you?
Or was it the furries from the discord channel?
>>
File: 079Slowpoke_Dream.png (13KB, 312x295px) Image search: [Google]
079Slowpoke_Dream.png
13KB, 312x295px
>>51760201
>>
>>51760297
>>51760239
He is going to be smart, say he baits them into killing the Druid in exchange for treasure - then breath weapons them. The party would be harmed, but it wouldn't TPK, at best the warlock is knocked out. If they rolled higher initiative, they will kill the dragon before it even acts.

It's a party of 5 level 6 characters.
>>
>>51760337
I take a real life landmass, make the basic shape the same, then do whatever you want with it. The size of your map is equal to the size of the landmass you started off with. When it comes to mountains/trees/cities let them all be exagerated, and only be there to tell you "Here be forests/towns/mountains.".
>>
>>51760346
>>51760105
>>51760087
>be me, not (you)
>go back and read what this is about
>another guy already gave the link
>think to myself that this is stupid, why are they replying to something that has already been settled
>realize that I too was drawn into this shitty overextended bitching
Fuck you guys.
Specially >>51759836
>>
>>51760378
If it has room to fly, it could probably simply fly after the attack and that'd at least stop the tougher melee guys from roughing him up straight away.
As for the less beefy guys, they might already be worn out after the other fight and go down from the breath attack.

If it did have some weak cohorts those would at least help act as cover against ranged attacks or threaten to hurt people who run past to punch dragon in the face.
>>
>>51760239
>Feats are an option
The very start of Chapter 6 states that Feats and Multiclassing are optional rules. Most people take them as set core rules purely because they happen to be in the PHB instead of the DMG.
>>
>>51760449
Nah, most people take them as set core rules because 5e is the streamlined child of D&D. If you take out what little customisation there is, it's essentially a CYOA novel.
>>
>>51760449
But anyone sane realizes taking out feats nerfs martials even more, so regardless of what the books say feats shouldn't be optional.
>>
>>51760239
Nigga you gotta stop taking people pointing out that feats are an option as a slight, I was using "feats are an option" as a positive.
>>
>>51760560
Fuck that.

I will hammer it in until people acknowledge that feats are required, no matter who it benefits.
>>
>>51760560
>Are an option
>Are optional
Most people lack the reading comprehension required to understand the difference. Sad.
>>
>>51759870
>Try using it
>nothing looks anything like that
I have no fucking clue what I'm doing.
>>
>>51760613

"Option" is a mechanical term that is applied regardless of whether it is good or bad.
>>
>>51760613
Let me rephrase it so that you understand what was actually being said.

Feats are available to you as a tool for building a character.
>>
option

the power or right of choosing.
something that may be or is chosen; choice.
the act of choosing.
an item of equipment or a feature that may be chosen as an addition to or replacement for standard equipment and features:
a car with a long list of extra-cost options; a telephoto lens option for a camera.
>>
>>51760619
The original post somewhere was replying to 'feats are DM fiat'
Which suggests that it's not standard to have feats.

To which the real answer is
'Feats should be allowed by the DM by default'.

I suppose I should have aimed at that poster instead, but they didn't say the magic words.

>>51760658
Now, here's a good thing.
>>
>>51760692
>The original post somewhere was replying to 'feats are DM fiat'

This post right here >>51760159 was explaining that the DM can decide to do whatever, but "option, variant, DMG option you want to think about before using as a way to differentiate your campaign, and totally wackadoodle DM fiat thing that nothing suggests is possible other than rule zero" are about 4 different levels of optional-ness.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (30KB, 564x218px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
30KB, 564x218px
>>51760692
Pic related.
Thanks for playing.
>>
>>51759548
I've never multi-classed before so this is helpful. Thank you.
>>
What are some viable/interesting 3 class multiclass combinations? Has anyone here ever done that? It seems like it'd be spreading yourself kind of thin.
>>
>want to multiclass
>will never get 17th/20th level feature

FUCK I can't do it
>>
>>51760392
Thank you so much!

Last queston... Why did they change Inkarnate so much? The icons are completely different, there are no snowcapped mountains nor is there a volcano option anymore. What's up with that?
>>
>>51760838
Don't know. If you can find some originals you could import them as individual objects.
>>
>>51760752
Well, I'm mostly talking metagame here.

But genearlly there isn't any one definite target. You want to see what abilities synergize / what abilities you want and then level up to that point, but do consider that quite often level 5 has some good stuff like extra attack or uncanny dodge.

I think a good, perhaps easy exercise in multiclassing is deciding how best to multiclass a barbarian.

>>51760822
You give in to the fact you'll probably never reach those levels anyway and that for the most part only paladin/barbarian's level 20 and fullcaster's level 17s really matter.

>>51760729
Yes, it was replying to this post >>51759701 which is where I really needed to post the
>Feats are optional
Because that post heavily implies feats are optional.
>>
>>51760789
Monk 1/Fighter 2/Arcana Cleric X
>>
File: membership-zhentarim.jpg (646KB, 2314x1410px) Image search: [Google]
membership-zhentarim.jpg
646KB, 2314x1410px
>Having Harper party members

You'd better murder them and dump their bodies in a ditch
>>
File: 1448690848618.png (2MB, 933x1352px) Image search: [Google]
1448690848618.png
2MB, 933x1352px
>>51757163
How much should "immunity to cantrips" contribute to a creature's defensive CR? I want something to be tough, but not go all the way to a rashaka's spell immunity.
>>
Are magic items truly optional in 5e?
>>
>>51757185
You mean the phoenix sorcerer.
>>
>>51761028
+3 or 4, or just about the same as "immune to non magic weapons.
>>
>>51761035
For most classes yes, but barbarians, rogues, and rangers may start falling behind without them.
>>
>>51760789
Fighter/Sorcerer/Warlock

Barbarian/Paladin/Sorcerer

Rogue/EldritchKnight/Warlock

RangerHordeBreaker/Barbarian/(Fighter or paladin or rogue or paladinsorc or bladelock or.. Whatever, I guess)

You just need to get creative.
>>
>>51757467
What the fuck, where did that come from?
>>
>>51759955
Because WoTC got lazy and re-used some of the TSR journals of Van Richten, in which he used an army of zombies provided by a bored Azalin to massacre the Vistani caravan who kidnapped his son and sold him to be a vampire's undead catamite.
>>
>>51761035
As long as you provide some method of dealing with things that are resistant/immune to non-magic weapons or give the shanky boys something else to stab during that fight, yes. Or just not use those monsters.
>>
>>51761035
ehhhhhh....sort of? The "Big 6" are optional, in my opinion of course. In the current campaign i am in, we didn't really notice any large differences between those of us who had +2 weapons and those who had no magic weapons, same for armor. But that also may have to do with our group make up:
Rogue had +2 weapon and armor
Fighter had neither, but had heavier armor, higher attack stat, and swings more often
Mages have neither, but have shield and spells
Ranger has +1 weapon/armor and wolf companion
It seems like >>51761083 has similar experiences.
>>
>>51761035
They are not a designated optional rule package, but the DM can "opt" to never give you any... and the game also is set up to provide solutions for a party of magicless paupers.

Oath of Devotion, Magic Weapon, Elemental Weapon, and those warlock thingies.
>>
>>51761035
>>51761122
I get around that by giving the players weapons with interesting magic properties but without any pluses. Still counts as magical weapons.
>>
>>51761072
But on one hand non-magic weapon immunity is mostly irrelevant at higher levels and on the other hand cantrip immunity is weaker than weapon immunity as casters can still cast spells. Unless you're a warlock, it doesn't shut you down much at all, especially when cantrips are generally weaker than weapons. A fighter can't even action surge manoeuvre all sorts of crazy shit on a weapon immune creature.

>>51761035
Pretty much. Though the DM kinda fucks you over if they then throw in a lot of anti-physical monsters.
>>
>>51760789
Ftr with action surge + warlock with EB enhancers + sorc

I dig the idea of a sickeningly happy warlock sorcerer, like one descended from a nice metallic dragon and whose patron is an intelligent holy sword or sunblade, a good archfey, etc.
>>
Is a Whisper Bard multiclass Swashbuckler any way workable or should I just play a Valor Bard?
>>
>>51761143
Hello me! Fancy meeting I here.
>>
>>51761123
It's definitely the party makeup. Same character without magic and with a +2 has a pretty stark DPR and survivability difference. I can show you the math if you want, but a +2 weapon amounts to, on average, about 50% more damage.

>>51761168
Indeed! I do love me.
>>
>>51761179
>I can show you the math if you want, but a +2 weapon amounts to, on average, about 50% more damage.
How much of that is the +damage and how much of that is the +hit?
>>
>>51761143
You might as well just not give monsters weapon resistance if you feel the need to give them such things. It's better than feeling forced to give everyone magical +0 weapons and you can still give them magical +0 items but you could give that guy a +0 shield instead or something.
>>
>>51759141
This is fucking nice. Session recaps please?
>>
>>51761198
Regardless of whether or not the PCs have magical weapons, monster phys resistance still serves a point.
>>
>>51761196
It's almost entirely (>80%) the +to hit.
>>
>>51761229
Not much of a point.

Might as well call it 'resistance to peasants'.
>>
>>51759452
We're not paying them to release the UAs, they should at least get holidays off, you fuck.
>>
>>51761179
so, unsurprisingly, it seems that the classes that may struggle a bit more may need a hand out or two in the form of magic equipment. So the good news is that if you find a player struggling, they may just need a simple +1 sword to catch up.
>>
>>51761253
>resistance to skellingtons
>resistance to charmed friends
>resistance to falling damage

Its not that amazing, but its probably about as relevant as poison resistance or radiant resistance.
>>
>>51761273
>>51761179
Since magic items help martials out more than casters, I don't get why there are a bunch of people who have hateboners against magic items, especially considering a major incentive for being a fighter is Magic Sword and has been for 40 years, and that fighters coincidentally benefit from Magic Sword more than anyone else.
>>
>>51761274
But aren't a lot of things 'resistance to non-magical weapons' rather than 'resistance to physical damage'?
So stuff like falling damage wouldn't apply.

It's mostly skellingtons and hirelings (peasants), but the DM should already be curbing your hireling use somewhat.
>>
>>51761292
they likely fall into the "martials cant have nice things" crowd. Probably same people that piss and moan about "weaboo fightan magics"
>>
>>51758400
>>51758400
>I'm sure somebody said 'It's only one X' every time they delayed mystic before.
>How many times has it been now?
This a thousand times remember how we were supposed to get the mystic back in December?
>>
My players are currently lost in a gargantuan sentient corral reef in another dimension with mc escher like physics.

How can I make being lost more interesting than just a series of survival rolls?
>>
>>51761129

>solutions for a party of magicless paupers
>post a list of magical shit

I'm sorry, what?
>>
Thanks heaps for all the excellent and informative replies on magic items, similarly for the optinal feats do the martial classes fall behind if they can't have them?
>>
>>51760904
>Because that post heavily implies feats are optional.

They are

>>
>>51761255
Explain to me what's so magical about fucking Monday that it's the only day a UA can be released? Not Sunday, not the Tuesday following a holiday Monday, but only fucking Monday.

I wish every government holiday falling on a Monday magically turned into a week off for me.
>>
>>51761307
Skellingtons yeah, and hirelings.

To my mind, mercenaries, skellingtons, various other minions etc., are at least as relevant as poison damage, can't offhand think of any particular amazing ways to deal lots of poison damage.
>>
>>51761322
quit trying to justify playing your favorite beta male self insert from some shitty anime made for 12 year olds faggot
>>
>>51761357
magic item less paupers as the discussion was on a no magic item campaign and not a no magic campaign
>>
Question for people who regularly play in, and enjoy, larger groups (8+ players, not including DM):

fucking HOW
>>
>>51761417
It's generally considered the start of the working week, you'd know if you actually worked a fucking day in your life.
>>
>>51761322
How far up your own ass does your head usually go? I never said anything about not giving out magic weapons. All I did was point out they're more effective than people realize.

Besides, magical implements exist now, so it's not like magical weapons are just a martial thing.
>>
>>51761450
>Work should be completed at the start of the working week
Okay
>>
Contagion -- any consensus as to whether the penalties apply only with the third failed save or not?
>>
>>51761468
>released for the start of the working week, after having worked on it throughout the week
Why is that so difficult to grasp?
>>
>>51761478
They really should only apply on the third failed save, or you're going to have to remove Slimy Doom from the list.
>>
File: wizard.jpg (10KB, 242x300px) Image search: [Google]
wizard.jpg
10KB, 242x300px
>>51761457
>Besides, magical implements exist now
what
>>
>>51761538
Because by that same logic they could have released it on Friday.

>>51761575
Did you not read the DMG? Wizards can get pluses, too.
>>
Quick question. If I as a druid level 7 moon druid polymorph myself, does Primal strike still work? Ie does your mele attacks do magical dmg?
>>
>>51761589
Your assumption is they would've started work on the monday, when obviously they've been releasing new content on the Mondays.
>>
>>51761589
Oh... Wand of the War Mage. Ewwww. That'll come in handy when I cast... things.
>>
>>51761450
And what's your response to the second sentence? Why don't the UAs come out on Tuesday if Monday was a holiday? Why does it skip an entire week?

>well lol my week didn't start on Monday so I guess it doesn't start at all
>gee the boss wanted this report done on Monday but it's a holiday so I guess I'll do it NEXT MONDAY instead of Tuesday
also the work week starts on Sunday you fucking clod
>>
http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Animal_Friendship

Should this apply to all animals, or just those of Beast subtype?
>>
>>51761628
But the UA does come out on Tuesday.
>>
>>51761641
>this spell makes a T-rex eat your entire party instead of not you

What animals exist that aren't beasts?
>>
>>51761628
Can you fucking read >>51761609

>also the work week starts on Sunday you fucking clod
What the fuck are you blathering about? Have you actually worked before?

If you want to pay them to release content sooner, by all means, looks like you're sperging out and throwing an autistic tantrum for no reason.
>>
>>51761674
Griffins are Monstrosities, not beasts, this would apply to them if it doesn't mean beast specifically
>>
>>51760789
Lock2-3/Pally2/Sorc also, since no one mentioned it.
>>
>>51761697
Griffins aren't beasts for a reason. The spell is meant to apply only to natural animals, which is what the "beast" type represents.
>>
>>51761628
>work week starts on Sunday
No, that's when the Calendar Week starts, unles you're some backwater Slav.
>>
>>51761697
The "Animal" in "Animal Friendship" refers to RL non human animals of Earth, not fantasy creatures, aliumz, etc.
>>
File: 046.jpg (12KB, 291x351px) Image search: [Google]
046.jpg
12KB, 291x351px
Looking for suggestions: joining a party with a Bard, Barbarian, and Wizard. Thinking of being an archer - is Battlemaster Fighter the best option, or should I go Rogue? Thinking of an Odysseus-based character if I can figure out how to do that.

Or should I try something else entirely with this party makeup?
>>
>>51761196
About half and half. Depends on the character though. GWM it's more the +to hit.
>>
Can Multiclassed sorcerors turn other classes' spells into sorcery points?
>>
Warlords, we need It si bad
>>
>>51761674
>this spell makes a T-rex eat your entire party instead of not you
Why would a t-rex want to eat your party in the first place
You're not worth the calories expended trying to catch and kill.
>>
>>51761798
Spell slots are not class-specific.

>>51761755
Odysseus was almost certainly a rogue. Dude's way crafty and sneaky-like.
>>
>>51761478

You know, I was just looking for an answer to this one
>>
>>51761253
>The peasants bring pitchforks AND torches
>>51761274
>>resistance to falling damage
It doesn't resist falling damage. It's not an attack or a weapon.

Poison resistance probably is more useful to players than radiant resistance. Likely would be more useful to monsters too, but clerics have a thing for radiant.
>>
Why is shape water so good?
>>
>>51761755
What sort of barbarian?

If wolf barbarian (Even though he probably won't be with that party set-up) you'd want to go melee.

UA revised ranger, fighter, warlock and rogue are all viable ranged choices.

Do note that if you don't use hand crossbows and you use a longbow or something, you'll only get one chance to sneak attack a round, you might have to rely on the barbarian to get sneak attack and you won't have fighter's +2 to hit from fighting style without multiclass.
>>
>>51761179
Fuckin fascinating. I'd love to see the math but I believe you.
>>
>>51759060
Expertise in weapon proficiency?
>>
>>51761422
Cloudkill, and stinking cloud cares about poison immunity. Poison spray, of course that's not good. There is not much.
>>
>>51761836
>Peasants bring torches
>No longer resisted
>Fuck, what does this even do anymore

Poison immunity at least makes you immune to stinking cloud and such.
>>
>>51761833

He was very clever. The Trojan Horse was mostly his idea right? It's difficult to even begin to stat a mythic-type hero. Odysseus was very crafty, crazy strong, etc.

>>51761854

I think he's going bear totem. Melee w/greataxe is his plan. I'll see if the DM is okay with the UA Ranger. Is a ranged Warlock build mostly Eldritch Blast focused?
>>
>>51761928
>Is a ranged Warlock build mostly Eldritch Blast focused?
Yes, but if your DM is ok with it you could test out the new moon bow blade pact invocation from this week's UA.
>>
>>51761836
I was exclusively talking about for monsters. I don't know of any good player character method of dealing useful amounts of poison damage, just gimmicky low level methods (vow of treachery), terrifyingly expensive methods (even for an edition where gold doesn't do anything; bought poison), and a spell that is very hard to leverage as a way to kill monsters (cloudkill).

Meanwhile, there are plenty of ways to deal nonmagical damage in a way that is useful to PCs; two of them are so top notch that they are almost broken and are kind of offensively overpowered in general (polymorph tricks and animate dead).

So I stand by magic weapons not obviating or trivializing resistance to nonmagic.
>>
>>51761833
Just a Fighter.
Everyone forgets that Fighters need to utilize items and MacGyver shit to be useful in a world of spellcasters. It's not a talent specific to Rogues.
>>
Is it just me or are a lot of these Plane Shift races a bit unbalanced? The Kor got two free useful proficiencies, a re-roll on botches and advantage on save against fright, and now the Vedalken get advantage on three different saves against magic.
That's a bit much, isn't it?
>>
>>51761928
>Is a ranged Warlock build mostly Eldritch Blast focused?

I sure as shit hope so, Eldritch Blast is better than Archery.

But if Pact of the Fiend, you can also couple it with Scorching Ray if I'm not mistaken, (you can really go nova on a single target with a level 5 scorching ray and hex) and with absurdly ranged fireballs if you allow the new invocations
>>
Is playing an Aaracokra EB spellsniper Warlock retarded or fun? (600 range and you fly about being a dick)
>>
>>51758335
THEY CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT!
>>
Has anyone ever had a DM that uses inspiration as written, which is to give it as a reward for roleplay that's in character and negatively affects you, like playing out your flaw? I feel like I always see it used as a generic reward for cool things, which is fine but I like the idea of a small mechanical carrot for playing a flawed person.
>>
>>51761983
>Vedalken get advantage on three different saves against magic.

It's just a baseline medium sized gnome without any subracial advantage
>>
>>51761997
except they absolutely can.
>>
>>51761873
Ahha, Stinking Cloud, that's the big one.
>>
>>51761997
I do feel like saying "we have a shit ton of UA´s stacked in the office" and then posponing releases and releasing crap is kinda shitty of them
>>
>>51761997
Or you can be chill and just appreciate the fact that we're getting beta content at all.
>>
>>51761983
>talks about how dwarves are fearless and always have a plan
>zero reflection of this in racial features
>just stonecunning on crack
>no +2 Str subrace anymore so what's the point
>>
>>51761928
UA ranger should probably be allowed unless you plan to use it for multiclassing. Your DM would have to be pretty stuck-up or new or confused not to allow it.

Warlocks are normally just eldritch blast focused. You take agonizing blast, repelling blast and... Push people around a lot while dealing damage.
You could even go sorcerer-warlock multiclass for even more eldritch blasts.
Crossbow expert + sharpshooter dex fighter isn't a bad option in the end either, I suppose.
>>
>>51762010
>Medium-sized gnome
That actually makes them so much better.
>>
>>51761980
Sneaking and sweet-talking are both skills he employs on multiple occasions. He's clearly proficient in a bunch of skills. I'd still say rogue.
>>
>>51762065
>Human Fighters don't have enough proficiencies to pick up two social skills and Stealth
>>
>>51762056

I always find sizes to just be trade offs in of themselves.

You have to live with being small, but in exchange can get twice as many options for cover.
>>
>>51758335

You mean, literally the next day?
>>
>>51761966
>>51761988
>>51762051

This is very interesting Warlock info, thanks guys!

I'll look into that if I don't want to stick with the Odysseus plan, otherwise either I'll try a very skilled fighter or a social/sneak focused rogue.
>>
>>51762010
Egg on my face then.

That's what I get for tuning out the gnomes a lot of the time..
>>
File: 1486159696298.jpg (426KB, 1062x1566px) Image search: [Google]
1486159696298.jpg
426KB, 1062x1566px
>Spell Failure isn't a thing anymore
Ha ha, time to play an armored mage!
>>
I want to play an Oath of Ancients Paladin multiclassed with a Fey patron Warlock because i think there is some roleplay synergy where the Paladin seeks out the origin of their oath, learns about the Feywild, communes with an Archfey, and then swears fealty to it.

I am worried my table will think this is some kind of meme-build min-max power gamer thing. How do i stop that from happening?
>>
File: xwz72B2.gif (754KB, 400x437px) Image search: [Google]
xwz72B2.gif
754KB, 400x437px
>>51762206
Who gives a shit, tell them to deal w/ it because that is a sick character concept.
>>
>>51762196
As long as you can get heavy armor proficiency somewhere and don't mind investing in strength or being slow, go for it.
>>
>>51761858
You said something nice about me, so I'll crunch some numbers for ya.

Let's take a typical combat situation. We're gonna have 4th-level characters fighting some orcs. The rogue has 18 or 19 dex, because he didn't start with 18 but is intent on maximizing it quickly. So without magic, he has a +6 to hit.

To hit an orc (AC 13), he needs to roll a 7 or higher. That gives him a 70% chance to hit. If he were using a +2 weapon, he'd only need to roll a 5 or higher, which is an 80% chance to hit. So in this scenario, a +2 weapon represents a 14% increase in accuracy ((80-70)/70), and that's without counting the increase in damage.

The rogue makes short work of the orc, but he's not done - over there is an Eye of Gruumsh! He's better armored (AC 16), so the rogue must roll a 10 or higher - 55% to hit. With a +2 weapon, he'd have a 65% chance to hit - an increase of (65-55)/55=18%. Again, this is without counting the damage increase - for a rogue, it would be fairly low anyway, because rogues deal a lot of damage per hit. A fighter benefits a lot more from the damage bonus than a rogue does.

Well, the Eye of Gruumsh proves troublesome, but is eventually vanquished. Unfortunately, this orc band is led by an Orog. With an AC of 18, the rogue needs to roll a 12 or better - 45%. A +2 weapon raises this to 55%, which is a 22% increase.

The time finally arrives to confront the big bad. He's a blackguard, clad in plate and bearing a shield. He sports a whopping 21 AC (defense combat style FTW), and the rogue needs to roll a 15 to hit him - only a 30% chance to hit. A +2 weapon would make this 40%, which is a full 33% increase. Again, before considering the damage bonus.

Now imagine if the bad guys had magical armor. In the most extreme scenario, the enemy has 26 AC, which means the rogue only hits on a 20. A +2 weapon fully triples his accuracy (although those hits aren't crits).

I exaggerated with 50% "on average," and that's my bad, but you get the idea.
>>
>>51762087
>Human fighters have multiple conversation skills and stealth in their class skill list

>>51762305
inb4 "but it's always a 10% increase in accuracy!"
>>
>>51762196
Personally as a DM I wouldn't allow a single level fighter multiclass to jump you from unarmoured to plate armour and shields, but dwarf+feat or lots of feats or a few levels of fighter and I would.

RAW though there's honestly little reason to not start with a level of fighter. +4 HP, str and con saves (Better concentration, and str is a better secondary save), athletics and perception proficiency, +1 AC fighting style, heavy armour, +2 AC from shield, only requires 13 dex or 13 strength for the multiclass, second wind and another level gives you action surge. Also proficiency with martial weapons if you needed that, with a longbow perhaps being better than a cantrip until level 5.

Sure, you delay your spellcasting by a level, but you completely remove your weak point as a wizard.
>>
Why couldn't they have the MtG folks help out with the release of the UAs?
>>
>>51762378
The Planeshift stuff is just some dude's lunchtime project that they decided to support and publish.
>>
>>51762206
>he uses paladins fluff as written in the book

sorry dude but if you arent a paladin of a good aligned GOD you are a faggot and probably an anime
>>
>>51762305
Well, don't forget to crunch the numbers.

Let's say you're using a hand crossbow and have 20 dex already yet for some absurd reason you don't use sharpshooter. Though sharpshooter brings in some -5 to hit to the equation and you'd have archery and.. Let's not worry about that.
That's 1d6+5 damage.

The +2 damage means you go from 8.5 average damage to 10.5 average damage.
Roughly a 24%-ish increase?

So you get ((100%)*1.24)*Acurracy increase, and the accuracy increase might be perhaps a 1.25 or something.

So once you factor in damage, you could easily hit a 50% depending on your weapon. On average..? Maybe a bit less, like you're saying, maybe 40%.

Don't forget that a lot of fighters will be using their greatsword with GWM and thus will give themselves -5 to hit which means the extra +2 accuracy goes a lot further, though I guess the extra +2 damage goes nowhere near as far.
>>
>>51761083
What about Fighters?
>>
>>51762305
Huh. So does advantage, for example, increase or decrease the value of magic weaponry?
>>
>>51762411
Correct - a -5 to hit makes the +2 a lot better, which is one of the reasons archery fighters can dish out so much damage (dat combat style). However, the -5 itself is also a lot more punishing against high-AC targets. There's a cutoff point where it's not worth it to use the -5/+10 feats and it depends somewhat on the weapon's damage die, and is also altered by other bonuses (like archery or magic items).
>>
>>51762389
It's still a great deal of content, the two divisions should really support each other.
>>
>>51762462
>>51762462
Let's see. With advantage, hitting the orc becomes .7x.7 + (.7x.3)x2 = 91%. With a +2 weapon, it's .8x.8 + (.8x.2)x2 = 96%. This is only a 5.4% increase in accuracy.

At the other extreme, advantage against the blackguard gives an accuracy of .3x.3 + (.3x.7)x2 = 51%. A +2 weapon makes this .4x.4 + (.4x.6)x2 = 64%. This is a 25% increase, which is lower than the original 33%.

It seems advantage lowers the impact of accuracy boosters.
>>
>>51762232
Thanks! Faerie Knight it is then.

>>51762395
>sorry dude but if you arent a paladin of a good aligned GOD you are a faggot and probably an anime

I'm not lawful-good either.
>>
>>51762556
Don't forget to take the Green Lord's Gift invocation.
>>
>>51762544
Addendum: against difficult-to-hit opponents, the effects of accuracy boosters are less affected by advantage. For example, in the extreme case of needing 20 to hit, advantage turns the 5% into a 9.75%, and advantage combined with a +2 weapon turns a 15% into a 27.75%.
Advantage still cheapens the +2 weapon, but not by as much.
>>
>>51762446
Fighters are designed especially to get the most mileage out of using magic weaponry, so magic weapon bans hurt them the most of any class.
>>
>>51762600
Fighters and rangers who dual-wield or take the Hunter talents that work against large groups of enemies. In general, more attacks = more use of out magic weapons.
>>
>>51762600
I gotcha. Your post made me think you were implying Fighters weren't affected by magic item bans, which confused me a bit.
>>
>>51762395
>>51762556
Oh jeez, I've been away from DnD for so long I've completely forgotten the retardation that is alignments. I have a LG Pally in my party, what alignment gives me the most moral freedom while not giving him an excuse to stab me in the cunt? I don't want to be Chaotic in case the DM gets on my case for "not being random enough".
>>
>>51762630
Sorry, that wasn't me, I really should start noting when I'm butting into someone else's reply chain.
>>
>>51762343
You don't start with a spellbook if you start as a fighter.
>>
>>51762642
Neutral is fine.
>>
>>51762630
>>51762655
Ah, that was me. While magic items are steriods to fighters their base abilities and extra feats allows them to "deal" with a lack of magic items better.
>>
>>51762642
If you're with any sane people, alignments barely play a part and are reflective of your character rather than the other way round. If you're playing a character with any dimensions at all then you should be able to safely put them in at least two different alignments depending on interpretation.
>>
>>51762596
I think for sake of fluff, i would take every Fey Patron invocation. Though i haven't built the character past the initial idea.

I like the idea of playing a background as Hermit and his "revelation" was his discovery of the Oath itself or something related to the Oath, and by 3rd level I assume things would escalate enough where he takes the plunge and swears the oath.

no idea what pact boon i would take. If my DM let me use Str for the Bow, it would be pretty great. I guess i could take a 13 in Str and a higher dex to make a "Ranger" styled paladin. Considering the Moon Bow basically equates to Divine Smite.

>>51762642
Chaotic Good. Makes for a great Character discussion between the Paladin and your character. You are on the same side but have totally different methods. He can't condemn your efforts, but he doesn't agree with your haphazard methods. While you respect his convictions but think he is blinded by his traditions.
>>
>>51762343
Do you ban Bladesingers too? What about other fullcasters? Are Valor Bards, Moon Druids, and Stone Sorcerers too tanky? What about Hexblades?
>>
How do we make 5e even better?
>>
>>51762343
>>51762750
Not him, but while multiclassing can and should absolutely remain at the DM's discretion (because it is), bladesingers, valor bards, moon druids, etc. all are people who abandon stronger casting in favor of better defenses and some better melee. Valor bards in particular are almost universally derided.
>>
>>51762784
(((5e / e) - 1.5)*e))
>>
>>51762784
Give everyone the Lucky feat.
>>
>>51762819
So you want 3.5e again? what are you fucking stupid?
>>
>>51762784
Use action points but with this variant:

>You start with 5 action points at 1st level. Each time you gain a level, you lose any unspent action points and gain a new total equal to 5 + half your level.
>In place of their normal use, you can spend an action point to:
- Turn the d20 roll for an ability check into a 20.
- Turn a miss into a hit.
- Turn a hit against you into a miss.
- Turn a failed saving throw into a success.
- Take the Dash or Disengage action without using your action.
>Each use of an action point gives the DM a "complication point." These can be spent by the DM on NPCs in the same way action points are spent by PCs.
>>
>>51762642
If you're playing with a LG Pally that'll stab you if you do anything non-lawful, he's a shit LG who forgot about the GOOD part.
If you're playing with a DM that'll get on your case for not being lulzrandumz then he's a shit DM.

As a forever DM I usually view alignments as an insight to certain courses of action a character might or might not take. More the kinds of ideals they'd aspire to than robots being forced to remain inside a certain box.
And as always, alignments are open to interpretation, and my players are free to interpret how their alignments work to me.

Not that it ever comes up much. We all get along well in the group and nobody ever really does things that'd be out of line.
>>
I'm playing a conman Rogue, currently the Mastermind archetype (though my DM said I can switch it since most of its features I get from my background) at level 4. I'm thinking of multi classing after the next into a spell casting class. Which has the most synergy with a Rogue?
>>
>>51762859
You could also give the martials proficiency dice to do exactly that.
>>
>>51759722

Dude probably meant something like "multiclassing" or whatever.

No need to get all aspie about it
>>
I have a bard in the game i am DMing. He's a pretty fun player. I want to reward him with some kind of cool mechanical feature.

I was thinking of giving him a "Muse" and then letting that give him some kind of custom Channel Divinty feature.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>51759722
>>51759709
While kicking warlocks is fun, variant familiars do virtually obviate Pact of the Chain, complete with Pact of the Tome having their benefits +.
>>
File: stirge.jpg (164KB, 800x582px) Image search: [Google]
stirge.jpg
164KB, 800x582px
>>51761742
>refers to RL non human animals of Earth, not fantasy creatures, aliumz, etc.
argument invalidated

these are beasts
>>
>>51763052

Give him an instrument of the bards

DM's who give their bards instrument of the bards are the best DMs and I'd definitely take them out for coffee and sexy times
>>
>>51761742

The Tressym, the Crag Cat and the Cranium Rat would like to disagree

As would things such as the giant wolf spider
>>
>>51763100
Is that in the DMG?
>>
>>51763100

Instrument of the Bards has the upside of being lorewise, literally an instrument given as a reward to accomplished bards. (usually by other, even more accomplished bards. Like a graduation gift)
>>
>>51763142

It iiis

See bellow
>>51763148

Go into the 5e tools and look into "Instruments of the Bards". You got any number of options between Uncommon to Legendary

The Foculchan Bandore is my personal favorite, as it lets you Shillelagh the guitar.
>>
>>51763170
>The Foculchan Bandore is my personal favorite, as it lets you Shillelagh the guitar.
EL KABONG!
>>
Alright maybe I'm a retard but the only thing in this game I don't understand is Kensai. Can someone explain it?
>>
>>51763253
What do you not understand about it?
You're Samurai Jack. You run around and monk stuff with your sword.
>>
>>51763300
The whole Kensai weapon isn't a monk weapon thing. I can understand why but does that mean I can't you martial arts die for unarmed attacks while I'm holding it?
>>
>>51763332
It's just to make sure you don't use the kensai weapon for martial arts die attacks, except for shortsword which is a monk weapon and choosable for kensai weapon..
>>
>>51763100
>>51763170

As a bard that's been passing up loot after loot after loot for the past several months, I second these statements. I got a Headband of Intellect that's been amazing for me, early on in the game. So I've been making all of the skill check that no one else in the party can make, but if I had more spell slots in combat, that'd make me the happiest Tiefling there ever was.

Though, my DM has been hinting at me getting some epic loot at the end of the adventure (next session), so fingers crossed!
>>
>>51763332
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/808904018265341952?s=09
You can have a free hand.
>>
>>51763170
At what level should i award the Bard this? or does it matter?
>>
>>51763365

Instrument of the Bards mean so much to a bard, that I'm an Arcana cleric playing next to a bard, and the first thing I did with my money was give it all to the Bard so she could buy an instrument of the bards
>>
>>51763427

Depends on the instrument. They go from Uncommon to Legendary, and tempting as Legendary might be, I reckon you shouldn't give level 1 bard acess to Control Weather and Firestorm just yet

However, their core uses stay wonderfully useful throughout so I'd say whatever you decide, you're pretty safe with an uncommon at level 4-5, Rare at level 9-10

If Uncommon I reccomend Foculchan Bandore, or the Doss Lute failing that. Rare, I enjoy the Lyre
>>
>>51763496
As a DM, whats the best way to communicate a magic item to the party?
>>
>>51763496
So i think what I am going to do is position a character in the story to be the Bard's Rival and then after that, the next Secret door my players uncover will have a shrine to the "Secret Bards" in my setting.

The Secret Bards were an ancient order of bards who kept the history of the world secret.

Since there are 3 Uncommon ones, I am going to rip off Pokemon and have the classic "Starter Pokemon" choosing where an Old man gives you a choice of one of 3 and your rival picks one and then there's a 1-on-1 duel between the 2 bards.

Probably have Professor Oak be the last remaining member of this Ancient Order. Or he'll be a ghost.
>>
>>51763438
Wait you can buy them? How much are they? And that was really nice of you.

>>51763496
I agree with the rarity, but sometimes the spells the instrument offers means a big deal. I'm a backline support bard that handles a lot of the healing, so a Anstruth Harp would mean more to me than the Ollamh Harp. However, this beggar wouldn't be a chooser if either was handed to me, hahahaha.

My advice is look at what role the bard is filling. Are the attacking spellcaster? Support spellcaster? Lore-melee bard? Then go from there.
>>
>>51763576

1) Someone else is using it against them
2) Dragon Hoard
3) A mentor figure passes it on

>>51763578

Battle of the Bands, I love it. Especially if one of the bards has Counterspell
>>
>>51763496
I haven't gotten to the point of throwing in one of those instruments yet at my bard player but I am curious.

Does a bard need to be proficient in the Instrument of the Bard's type in order to use it? Or do they gain the proficiency through attunement?
>>
Good grappling monsters? Ideally minion level ones that aren't too tough.
>>
>>51763602
>Wait you can buy them?

Normally no. An Instrument of the Bards is a symbol of status as much as anything else, and as such, they confer status to a Bard carrying it, and if anyone but a bard tries to fuck with one, they take psychic damage.

But like a graduation saber in a Navy school, with time, there's bound to be surplus floating around, so while there are price guidelines for rarity, when you find one, it's a big find.

The college in charge of that item, if still open, will invariably give you top dollar for it, for example.
>>
>>51763682

Neither. They need to be a bard to play it, and if you give a bard that instrument I'm pretty sure you can safely admit they'll spend every song of rest from now till kingdom come learning how to use it, and its a fact the more instruments you know, the quicker it is to pick up a new one, but proficiency is not required

As a DM though, I'd consider roleplaying it out in a way that just gives it to them
>>
>>51763664
>Especially if one of the bards has Counterspell
Currently the bard is only level 2, but the dungeon they are in is super huge because it is also a city of Aberrations. They'll all be really close to level 4 by the time they get out.
>>
Sorry if this is pleb tier, but one added advantage to the popular Warlock/Sorcerer (and other warlock types): you need enough Warlock, generally speaking, to get an imp familiar. You get an invisible scout that can be used to inflict 1d4+3d6/1d4+3d6 and can be resurrected every short rest. It can see into the darkness, so there should rarely be a problem scouting ahead for ambushes.
>>
File: 1453315552943.jpg (2MB, 2725x2278px) Image search: [Google]
1453315552943.jpg
2MB, 2725x2278px
>>51757163
Making a magic resistant reoccuring character. Is the Rakshasa's limited magic immunity too much or should I just give him legendary resistance?
>>
>>51763769

Roleplay battle of the bands anyway, or rap battle, granting advantage or disasdvantage to particularly sick beats
>>
So I'm a first time DM running Princes of the Apocalypse for a 3 player crew.

I let them roll for stats and they all rolled pretty high mostly. Party was a monk, a wizard and a barbarian. I started them on Lost Mines of Phandelver and they were pretty much steamrolling everything (they skipped the green dragon fight) so I decided to tune up the difficulty a bit. Not really play it cheap, just use what's in the book, but play it smart with flanking attacks, enemy kiting and stuff like that.

I think I might have overdone it. The monk died yesterday and rerolled an Eldritch Knight for today's session, and the wizard died today as well with the barbarian BARELY escaping death on their last saving throw. It was at very much their fault in both cases (no one bothered to stabilize the monk because 'lol fuck it we can end this fight before he dies' plus they're generally used to being able to kill everything) but I don't think they found it very fun.

how can I balance this? I really didn't want to fucking KILL them but it felt like a more legitimate move than "and then the vicious werewolf knocks you unconscious"
>>
>>51763812
Thats a good idea.
Do i make the player come up with said sick beats? Or should i just award it when there is a solid attempt at flowery descriptive language?
>>
>>51762462
The value of advantage is directly related to how close your needed roll is to 11. At "I need 11 or better", advantage is the same as a +5 to hit. This is how WoTC got their figure.
However, as you move away from that 11 in either direction, advantage becomes less useful. If, say, you need a 16 to hit? Advantage is slightly worse than a +4. 18 to hit? Advantage is roughly a +2.5. Hitting on sixes, you dirty powergamer? Advantage isn't even as good as another +2.
>>
>>51763834
Just add 1 or 2 more enemies/minions to every fight.

Everything that is worth fighting needs groveling minions.

Usually what i do, is if, in any battle, the players defeat the main figure(s) of the fight, their minions surrender and beg for their lives.

If the players spare them, they usually reveal info about the dungeon.
>>
How can I handle inventory in an easy way that avoids my players being able to carry around wagonloads of goods by themselves, but also not have to calculate the weight and their carrying weight.

I had an idea of something like a number that consititutes your inventory space, and each object has a number which is how much space they take up. Sacks and backpacks take up an set amout of space in your inventory, but have their own inventory for small objects that is more than the space they take up.
>>
>>51763907
By not having hoarding players.

Holy shit, I hated that guy who was treating the game as a point and click adventure and picked up everything smaller than his head.
>>
>>51763907
I think there's like...someone's variant rules that are like Slot based inventory. No idea where to find them though. Heard good/decent things about it.
>>
>>51763838

It's all about the heart man. Award it if it really shows he put his heart into it.

Have the other players chime in too, give the cleric an insight check that shows that the rival is a candy ass poser, or something. Or if the bard comes with the rhymes and the barbarian with the beatboxing, adjudicate a help action

You can even let the rival bait them into doing that, by letting the rival have groupies that do that for him in RP, giving the rival an advantage which you behind the screen ignore, making contested performance checks.

And of course, award Inspiration
>>
>>51763949
You must be a godly DM
>>
What's a cool magic weapon for a druid? Dex weapons only
>>
>>51764038

Flaming scimitars.
>>
Is there any info on medium armor for druids?
Not fancy magical spidersilk or Mallorn leaves stuff. but more normal stuff like turtle shell pieces or alligator hide.
>>
>>51760627
Inkarnate had an update around January. For whatever brain dead reason they updated it by removing:
>the old simple icons for these cluttered high detail ones
>a plethora of terrain types
>mountain and tree types (no more snow-capped anything)
>raising the minimum size limit without expanding the map size, meaning large continents with marked cities or towns look odd

Add on top of that the previous maps being uneditable and you have a less than satisfactory tool until they hopefully unfuck it.
>>
>>51763961

I don't know about that, but years of having to DM at a crowded LGS with a really cool table next to table full of cantankerous barrels really forces you to really work in your engaging skills in order to keep good people's minds out of where you at.

My plotting and dungeon design probably isn't that amazing tho
>>
>>51764055
And why would the party give it to the druid instead of the ranger? Even if the ranger specializes in ranged combat.
>>
>>51764156
Because maybe there isn't a ranger?
>>
>>51763372
So the only thing I can't do is make 2 Greatsword Attacks and then a Martial Arts unarmed attack as a bonus action?
>>
>>51764038
Scimitar that can light up and that lets them cast Flame Blade for free by using charges.
>>
>>51763698
Anybody?
>>
>>51764156

It's a joke. Flame Scimitar is a Druid spell
>>
>>51764230
>>51764217
Yeah, I know about Flame Blade. But that gets me thinking... It could be something similar to a Sun Blade, just the hilt until you activate the spell. Maybe I could make it require no concentration, at the very least.

>>51764174
In this case, there is one.
>>
>>51764174
Friends don't let friends play Drizzt clones
>>
>>51764366
If you really want it to be a thing for only the druid make it a hilt that summons a Flame Blade in exchange for a first level spell slot. No concentration maybe but that could be on the powerful side.
>>
My players are on their way to kill a mummy lord in an egyptian temple themed dungeon, to revert the curse for someone who stole some treasure from there once. I'm realising now I also want to include yuan ti as a part of the dungeon, whats a good way to mix yuan ti/undead in one dungeon? or should I just ditch it
>>
>>51764542
Yuan ti and mummies go great together flavorwise and mechanically, I like having them use deadly poison shots from behind a row of skeletons or mummies. Abominations might use mummy front liners, malisons and pureblood might use skeleton front liners, if you want to mix an undead/yuan ti theme for encounters.
>>
>>51764542
Oh anon, are you in for a treat. Have you played Rise of Tiamat? Do you intend to? Cause that adventure has a whole chapter with a egyptian / Indiana Jones inspired dungeon. Mummies, yuan-ti all you're looking for.

On a related note, how are they going to kill a mummy lord if they don't even have access to Remove Curse, a 3rd level spell?
>>
>>51764660
>>51764660
>>51764660
>>
>>51764650
No new ones tho right?
Thread posts: 419
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.