/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So Samurai Jack is getting a new season, and my group's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

So Samurai Jack is getting a new season, and my group's being pretty hyped about it.

It's got an absolutely amazing setting, perfect for running gonzo episodic adventures that mix genres and themes.

Are there any games out there with a similar setting to the show? Mix match of tech-levels and cultures but with a unifying tone/feel to it so that it doesn't just feel like a random jumble of shit but a cohesive, albeit highly diverse world. I think Gamma World might be a good example of what I'm going for, while Rifts a bad one.

What about a system that emulates the high-octane action feel? Something with great minion/mook rules and that does boss battles well. I can't really think of a good system for this; Too freeform and it feels arbitrary and unrewarding to do over the top cool shit, too crunchy and it slows down the pace and brings down the cool factor.
>>
Feng Shui. Just... Feng Shui.

Normally I'm more of a crunch heavy Legends of the Wulin kinda guy, but for Samurai Jack Feng Shui fits to a fucking tee.
>>
>>51743543

I've considered it, but it sounds like it tries to emulate a specific genre of film, and it does that very well, but I don't think I'd do cartoon action that well.

For one, its character creation rules are vague, almost inexistent. It relies heavily on pre-built character archetypes, which are very fitting for Action movie games, but not that great if you want to run a crazy gonzo sci-fi Cartoon action game.

Now, I might be completely wrong, since I have never played it myself, that's just the impression I got from skimming through the pdf.
>>
>>51743629
You're wrong, Feng Shui is perfect for all kinds of gonzo action shenanigans. V1, not v2 though.
>>
>>51744667

Oh, I've only read the 2e rulebook. What are the differences?
>>
>>51744775
I am also curious. Especially since I could nab a copy of 1e.
>>
File: MnM-logo-wordpress.png (59KB, 340x87px) Image search: [Google]
MnM-logo-wordpress.png
59KB, 340x87px
>>51743528
Anything that's universal in use and can run over the top/superhero and cinematic games can replicate Samurai Jack. Mutants and masterminds 3e is just one of them. Fate is another, but most people consider that too amorphous to even be a system at all.
>>
>>51747817
>Fate is another, but most people consider that too amorphous to even be a system at all.

>most people

You mean a few neckbeards on /tg/
>>
>>51747883
Eh, probably, I'd rather play Fate than 3.5 DnD at least, and it does have some neat ideas like the choice of succeeding on a failure but at a major or minor cost. It's probably not within OP's particular tastes though.

I'll say that MnM might be really good for OP as long as they don't fret over the character customization's broadness. A lot of things like having just base Damage effects rather than a dozen different things that have their own set stuff makes things a little more straight forward. Plus all it takes is one 1d20 dice to do everything, but still has enough crunch to have a lot of choice.
>>
>>51747964

Which edition of MnM would you recommend? I think I have the 2e book lying around somewhere.
>>
>>51748069
3e because it fixes a lot of the dumb stuff that was left lingering onto it from DnD, it's more refined and has more customization, but that's from what I've heard. Some say 2e is better because it doesn't have as much limitations on things, but take both views with a grain of salt. They're not that much different from each other, but I'd say 3e makes improvements

Plus I've heard that some things in 2e break much easier than 3e. 3e has its gamebreaking moments, but if you actually look at the rules or even the advice, it's not an issue.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.