[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

D&D 5e sorcerer Do I do the Phoenix thing from Unearthe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: ZukoMotherFuckers.png (94KB, 333x250px) Image search: [Google]
ZukoMotherFuckers.png
94KB, 333x250px
D&D 5e sorcerer

Do I do the Phoenix thing from Unearthed Arcana...

>http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/26_UASorcererUA020617s.pdf

...or just reflavor the Dragon thing in the PHB, making the natural armor like a fixed Unarmored Defense thing and instead of growing wings you just learn to firebend thrusters?

I figured Phoenix was a gimme until I realized they only get +Cha to fire damage during their 1 minute per day flaming stance, whereas Dragons (albeit at 6th-level) get it constantly.

I'm hoping this is already kind of a solved problem.
>>
Fire Draconic Sorcerers are pretty much better 90% of the time, the only thing Phoenix Sorcs have over it is the dropping to 1 hp explosion.

You could always just be a Lore Wizard and change everything to Fire damage too.
>>
>>51730794
Meh. I like it when the crunch and the fluff align. Zuko truckin' a library rubs me the wrong way. "Oh, these are just my firebending scrolls that I have to consult every day before I can do anything cool." No.
>>
Don't play 5e at all. 4e is better. If you haven't bought the books yet, don't, buy some used 4e books and you will have a much better time.

In 5e your numbers never improve because the game is badly balanced, damage bloat is awful, the classes are unbalanced, and caster supremacy is almost the same as 3.5. Not to mention the books cost like 100 dollars and that's if you get them on sale. Or you can have fun readnig PDFs off of your iPads, whatever. The system is bland as hell overall, the feats are mostly shite and you have to trade ability ups for them. It's an attempt to pander to grognards by making the game like AD&D (i.e. without feats, but still having skills), but in reality it's a bastard mix of 3.5 and the shittiest parts of 4e.
>>
>>51731098
I'm already playing 5e, and I played 4e, and you're a fool. You're a Fiend Foolio.

I'm not gonna defend 5e's blanket nerf or claim it's not still infested with sacred cows, but claiming that 4e is better when Pathfinder exists is just childish nonsense.
>>
>>51731153
Okay, or play Pathfinder. Or even 3.5 which is better than PF. 5e is just bland boring shite unless you're playing an eldritch knight.

Hopefully Merals will get cancer soon so the D&D development for 6th edition will be actually competent, but until then there is no reason to indulge hsi retardation by playing 5e.
>>
As much as I hate to be 'that guy', don't use D&D to play an avatar campaign/characters. D&D makes a pretty hard distinction between martial and magic, in Avatar all benders are martial and magical characters. Every bending art is based on a martial art, you can use bending with weapons and armour, and the better you've mastered you martial art the better bender you become. Fucking bending is the antithesis of D&D style casting.
>>
File: ICantTellIfYoureJokingOrNot.jpg (26KB, 665x393px) Image search: [Google]
ICantTellIfYoureJokingOrNot.jpg
26KB, 665x393px
>>51731168
>Or even 3.5 which is better than PF.
>>
>>51731181
*shrug* My buddies are playing 5e, so that's what I'm writing for. I'll probably never actually play or run this particular build, it's mostly a curiosity.

This DM gives out a bonus feat at 1st level, so I was thinking of taking either Tavern Brawler (for unarmed combat) or Weapon Master (which gives you four weapons). Elemental Adept (fire) would be unambiguously more useful for this character, but the other two would fit the character a little better.

But I guess by that token, I could do the opposite and play a monk with Magic Initiate (druid) and take Produce Flame and Thunderwave.
>>
>>51731073

>Zuko truckin' a library rubs me the wrong way

That's because in universe benders are more like a Fighter prestige class with access to a bunch of unique combat feats than actual wizards
>>
>>51731073
Why don't you just play a way of the four elements monk?

There's also an entire 100 page supplement called Incarnate which is specifically for playing in an Avatar inspired setting, with 2 very in depth classes based on bending.
>>
>>51731153
I'll disagree- 4E is totally better than PF.

Course, PF is really just 3.5 released by another company, so if you like 3d Party content like that, you might try searching around sometime (in case it comes up in another game) for the 4E Avatar supplement.
>>
>>51731098
5e and 4e are different kinds of games, the strengths of both are the weaknesses of the other.

There is no reason to play one "instead" of the other unless you find the gameplay of one of them to be offensively antithetical to your tastes
>>
>>51731189
Except it is. Pathfinder is even less balanced and it's attempt to "streamline" the rules just fucks them up more.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.