[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>DM for years >i love it, players love it, we all have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: flash oi.jpg (34KB, 279x361px) Image search: [Google]
flash oi.jpg
34KB, 279x361px
>DM for years
>i love it, players love it, we all have great fun and keep coming back for more
>they love me
>i am awesome
>"hey anon you dm all the time, here ill take your burden for one game"

>first thing i do is hog the spotlight, talk until others stop me, argue over rules, constantly switch character voice, powergame, metagame, fuck the game

why
>>
>>51727069
Heavy is the head that wears the crown, OP. Being behind the curtain prevents us from ever sharing the spotlight.
>>
>>51727330
How do I stop it, though?
>>
>>51727069
>first thing i do is hog the spotlight, talk until others stop me, argue over rules, constantly switch character voice, powergame, metagame, fuck the game

I have the same problem.

>How do I stop it, though?
Create a deliberately gimped character, I guess.
>>
>>51727666

let your friend run his game instead of trying to run it like it's your game. that's usually what happens to DMs who make a character. they try to run the show, still.
>>
>>51727666
Play your character like you would an NPC, if you were GMing. Take the ego out of it as much as possible, and maybe adopt a more supporting role--supporting for the other PCs, and even supporting for the GM, trying to consciously take actions that promote a happy, functioning party, and a successful adventure. When you get into a situation ask yourself "How can I have my character behave--while still remaining within the general parameters of his personality--to help the other people at the table have a fun time? What can I do to support and enable them?"
>>
>>51727069
Are you me? I always run games. So whenever I have the chance to play I end up hogging the spotlight and making characters using all the cheap builds I've wanted to use with NPCs over the years but never did because I didn't want to TPK my group.
>>
>>51727666
>Hog the spotlight
Play a naturally silent support character (i.e Thief/Spy/Scout) so that you have an incentive to shut up

>Talk until others stop me
See above

>Argue over rules
Put a rubber band on your arm. Every tie you feel the urge to argue the rules, snap it.

>Constantly switch character voice
That'll come with practice, you're used to switching voices

>Powergame
Focus more on building a character, not a class

>Metagame
See above, but focus on putting yourself in your character's shoes when roleplaying
>>
>>51727069
Playing a game and running a game are two different skills, and it's okay to suck at first, just be honest with your friends about the fact that you're not used to being a player and to let you know when you do something inappropriate.
>>
>>51727683
Not a gimped one. But one that is focused on helping the other characters. Like a buff/blaster sorcerer
>>
File: brat thiking.png (429KB, 451x619px) Image search: [Google]
brat thiking.png
429KB, 451x619px
>>51727666
Have you considered playing your role
>>
>>51727069

It's natural to do these things after having them bottled up for so long while DMing.

>>51727666

You don't, you play in light-hearted, beer and pretzel one shot campaigns that allow you to cut loose and do whatever the fuck you want. When real, multi-session, you-need-to-take-this-seriously campaigns pick up, you should have that out of your system.
>>
File: Hail Friend Computer.gif (44KB, 601x348px) Image search: [Google]
Hail Friend Computer.gif
44KB, 601x348px
>>51727666
Have you considered advancing the glory of Friend Computer?

No, seriously, Paranoia is a great game for letting your need to grandstand out. Metagaming not so much, because displaying knowledge of the in-depth game rules is treason, but oh well.
>>
>>51727666
You don't, you just do a little better every time.
>>
>>51727069
Yeah, I backseat DM like a motherfucker as well.

Worst part is when I intentionally try to find and point out plotholes and flaws in the DM's story. I can't help it.
>>
>>51729754
thats actually genius
>>
>>51727666
Go back to GMing, Satan. I have the same issue. Once you GM for 6 years it's hard to get back in the game as a player without constantly suppressing your GM instincts. I literally cannot stand mediocre DMing anymore. I cannot. I'm not even that fantastic myself but someone worse than me, I just can't engage with it.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.