[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good systems for some high action heisting shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: Payday-The-Heist-Wallpaper-HD.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Payday-The-Heist-Wallpaper-HD.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
What are some good systems for some high action heisting shit in a modern day or near-future sci-fi setting? If you and your friends wanted to play as a gang of criminals, planning their break ins and robberies, what would be the go to system?
>>
File: grunge street.jpg (969KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
grunge street.jpg
969KB, 1280x1280px
>>51709511
Cyberpunk 2020.
>>
>>51709764
Or Shadowrun.
>>
He said modern day/near future not cyber punk.
>>
>>51709511
Shadowrun is pretty much ideal for it. If you don't want cyberpunk, just change the setting.
>>
Blade in the Dark might not be what you are looking for setting wise but is probably worth a read for ideas and inspiration.

It's also based on planning and executing heists (but in a Dishonored-like setting) and has some neat mechanics for things like heist intel and complications or running and managing a gang of underlings.
Chances are there's something among there you could like carry over to another system.

What tone are you aiming for?
Serious and gritty, or more light hearted like Ocean’s Eleven or Leverage?

I never played it, what tone did Payday have?
>>
>>51712227

Came here to say, look for the BitD reskins, there's a couple for modern day crime coming out. (They might be out already, I don't track this stuff closely)
>>
I really want to run Shadrowrun, with Payday2 as it's main influence.
But the Shadowrun rules don't seem to work for what I want and what players can put up with, so I'm looking at running it through ORE(via Wild Talents) or Fate3(via Dresden Files).
>>
>>51709511

Conveintly I am actually writing a system that takes Hard-West meets Payday.

With my players I use the Hard-West luck, combat system and then prepare evrything like bank maps in advance. Currently my players are working as PMCs in Africa doing drug busts , chasing down a warlord. They also get to wear masks wich give them unique abilities.

I call it Hard Cash.
>>
>>51712845

Also I have a somewhat diluted version of the Villain system from 7th sea. So I have a big cork-bord behind me covered in a web of luitentants, connections and evidence all pointing to the villain in the centre, who is using his influence strength to stop the mercenaris.
>>
>>51711180
I said near future sci-fi. 2020 is only three years from now.

Shadowrun isn't that too far advanced. Other than the fantasy elements really. I could just be a dick and say no magic/non-humans.

>>51712227
Payday's main inspiration is from the movie Heat, but draws a lot from all sorts of crime flicks. It really skirts the line between silly-fun and serious-silly in the fact that it's gotten so over the top.

In one mission you're stealing nukes from a global PMC's warehouse to sell to a crazy Russian man, or you could be breaking into a depot that holds voting machines so you can rig an election. Or taking over a biker clubhouse so you can use their methlab to cook your own product while the cops besiege the house.

On the higher difficulties the players have a dedicated task force meant to take them down, the Zeal Team, who work for private security mega-giant GenSec, who train all the special operators you encounter, and as the difficulty increases the local police, FBI responders and SWAT teams are replaced entire by GenSec soldiers. Pic related.
It's also a fan theory and somewhat vaguely nodded to in game that the MPD and GenSec clone their cops to have such sheer numbers they through at the players.

Payday 1 was a lot more realistic and grounded in actuality, but over the top campiness is fun as hell.
>>
>>51712227
>>51712306
How well would a lot of the BitD mechanics lift into a different system?

>>51712798
What about the Shadowrun system doesn't work out well?
>>
>>51712845
>Hard-West luck
God I love that mechanic, are there any other systems that use it? Because it's wasted on just one midly successful modern XCOM clone.

For anyone that doesn't know what it is, here's a basic explanation from http://deltavector.blogspot.de/2016/08/hard-west-pc-weird-west-strategy-and.html

1. If an attack misses you, it reduces your luck. (The amount lost depends on the initial hit chance - a shot with 60% chance to hit reduces your Luck 60%)

2. Luck is used to help evade. If your "Luck" is higher than their to-hit chance, you automatically evade (i.e. enemy shoots at you with 50% chance to hit, and you have 70% luck - the shot will miss and you only have 20% luck next turn)

3. Luck is also used to trigger special abilities. Triggering a special ability or attack reduces it by a fixed amount (typically -50).

4. If you are hit and take damage, your Luck is replenished

It helps massively with balancing the XCOM combat by ensuring that people you focus your fire on are going to get hit eventually while also giving more leeway to players that are careful and keep back their special abilities for survivability.
Not to mention how cool it is themetically, you literally running out of luck and as a result getting shot.
>>
>>51712970
>How well would a lot of the BitD mechanics lift into a different system?

Pretty well, there's a ton of good ideas to steal, and some stuff you could probably just lift wholesale. One point (that's pretty easy to rework for another system) where it beats Shadowrun IMO is the whole notion of retconning plans and things.

In Shadowrun, you need to all sit down and actually plan your entire heist and come up with all the contingencies and what-if backup plans yourself, in real time, around the table. Now some folks really dig that, but for most tables, it's a real grind, because there's always some dude who's willing to shoot down every plan you can come up with, and there's always "one more thing" you have to consider, so it can take seemingly forever until somebody just says "forget it, we're doing that last plan, let's GO ALREADY"
BitD skips all that shit -- why should you have to be good at planning yourself? Let your characters do that. You come up with your basic premise and then start rolling dice to find out how it goes, and if there's some setback or failure. If there is, THEN you figure out what your contingency was and try to retroactively implement it. Like "Oh I would have stolen the night guard's keys the night before, then snuck in and hidden them under here so we can get through this locked door quietly"
It saves all the pain and tedium of the usual RPG planning session and keeps things moving, and feels very cinematic.
>>
>>51712929
>2020
it was written in the 80's when they thought Japan would run everything and we would have eyes that shot poison darts.
>>
>>51713097
I'm aware, it was just a joke.
>>
File: Do you not.jpg (50KB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
Do you not.jpg
50KB, 500x313px
>>51713097
>>
>>51713129
Now I want a system to play Archer: The Pen and Paper Game on.
>>
>>51713089
not sure what its called but that contingency system sounds super cool/
>>
>>51713051

Thank you for making it sound so much cooler. One day /tg/ will submit to the luck system.
>>
>>51713051
>>51713839
You know it would really work well with Payday 2 because the main options are either to build an armor focused build or a dodge focused.

The luck could be modified to account for that. Armor gives less luck but more raw damage absorption, while dodge leaves one more vulnerable but gives luck bonuses.
>>
>>51709511
Shadowrun
>>
>>51712845
God that sounds fucking cool
>>
>>51713825
Flashbacks
>>
File: Spycraft1.jpg (17KB, 220x297px) Image search: [Google]
Spycraft1.jpg
17KB, 220x297px
>>51709511

If you want something thats more modern grounded rather than cyberpunk try Spycraft. Not the best system, but it's classes are ripped straight from heist movies with things like "wheel-man" and "the face"
>>
>>51715954

plus it's equipment selection system is actually really inspired and fun when compared to shadowrun.
>>
The two things i like most about gurps are its gunplay and its martial arts. I think its a great setting for modern day action movie shit. HKAT 1st edition is pretty good too.
>>
The GURPS "Action" series is great for this kinda game; fast paced, cinematic but still somewhat "grounded", slimmed down and pre-"genre adjusted" for ease of play, premade character templates for the different expected archetypes and rules/guidance for how ro run such a game without letting things bog down.

Add High Tech for guns/armor and neat gear if there's not enough for your tastes already (and for blowthrough rules that in the short term make individual shots more survivable, but make bleeding much scarier), Tactical Shooting if you want to get a little autistic, and Martial Arts if you want more specifics on that kind of thing, more detailed bleeding and hit locations/distinct martial art styles, etc. (and Technical Grappling if you want to get a little autistic with that too).
>>
feng shui.
>>
>>51712845
This sounds pretty sick, is there any place you post the progress you make on the system?

Though I got some questions about the mask part:
What is the fluff for the masks giving them abilities, are they magical or something?
What are some examples for abilities, are they similar to the special abilities from Hard West?
>>
>>51712227
Payday's rather lighthearted, you have heists where you stroll into a pmc base with a forklift and steal a nuclear warhead.

It also has had crossovers with goat simulator and Hardcore henry.
>>
File: the sound of animals fighting.jpg (430KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
the sound of animals fighting.jpg
430KB, 1024x576px
>>51712845
Sounds fun. Tell me more?

>>51718186
And Hotline Miami!
>>
>>51715995
>>51716191
Is GURPS actually decent? I always just felt it was the lazy cop-out system.

A
>we don't want to give a real answer so just use GURPS
Kind of thing
>>
>>51712929
>Payday
Godamn do I want more heists from the Butcher, and/or LGL. The Bomb Heists were rather well done, as was Golden Grin
>>
>>51722605
GURPS is a good system, but it requires knowing what to include and what to leave out. GURPS has rules for most situations. You don't need to know the rules for determining the radiation damage to your nanolaminate polymer mecha from a tactical nuke round though.
>>
>>51722605
One of the best systems out there, IMO obviously. It's kind of like Legos in that you build it up or cut it down to taste, though; it's explicitly a toolkit system, so unless you're using one of the "pre-baked" lines like Dungeon Fantasy, Monster Hunters, Action or After the End then you will have pregame prep to do in terms of what you want to allow and include for a given campaign.

You get out of it what you put into it, GURPS really is extremely fun and shockingly flexible and you can build to a huge number of distinctive flavors and styles/genres of game. Once you start playing it's smooth as butter and really "sings". It can play very light, hectic and narrative, "roll and shout" style without using much beyond the basics (and very loosely, at that) or you can go full crunchsim mode for your Operators Operating Operationally or Fantasy Vietnam games or whatever.

Very worth getting into, it really is a very fun and well designed/put together game. The designers are also VERY active on the sjgames forums, so you can get "official" answers to questions or homebrew/houserule suggestions very quickly and easily if you want input.

It's not the "be all, end all" of game systems or perfect for every single campaign, but it is significantly better than the memes on /tg/ would lead you to believe and once you've learned it, there is so much you can do with it that you'll be glad you did.
Of course, if you're going to GM it, you also need to enjoy pregame tinkering somewhat. Like I said, once the setup is done though it is smooth as hell in actual play.

It's not the game for everyone (no game is), but if you find yourself getting "GURPS curious" I highly recommend giving it a solid go. It is a goldmine of material and tools (and most importantly, fun).
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.