[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GURPS GENERAL /gurpsgen/ Histories of Gluttony and Law. QUESTIONS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 32

File: GURPS General.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
GURPS General.pdf
1B, 486x500px
GURPS GENERAL /gurpsgen/

Histories of Gluttony and Law.

QUESTIONS OF THE THREAD

>Have you ever played a successful game over Roll20? How successful was it? Did you benefit from playing over a computer, or do you prefer sitting at a table? Would you consider using Roll20 as a tool, where you sit at a table and use Roll20's features?

>What is your favorite Pyramid article? Have you used this in play? How did that go? Would you recommend it?

>Do you use any other dice other than d6 during play? For what?
>>
Tell me about your most unique magic system you ran in a campaign, /gurpsgen/
>>
>>51703690
Not really unique but it was RPM. Only no energy gathering. All energy came from sacrifice. Self sacrifice didn't generate as much as unwilling sacrifice.

My players are pretty anti-murderhobo.
>>
So let's say players want to run non-humanoids with freaky biology and anatomy (Jabba the Hutt, sentient octopi, silicon creatures, whatever)
Core can roughly handle that but are there any supplements that would be really useful for this sort of play?
>>
>>51704679
Bio-tech, Powers, Powers Enhanced Senses. I'd also take a glance through Transhuman Space and refluff what I could.
>>
>>51704765
Thank you, I didn't think to check out Powers at all.
>>
File: 1394329735270.jpg (98KB, 620x900px) Image search: [Google]
1394329735270.jpg
98KB, 620x900px
>>51703690

>>51704633

A bit like this. RPM with no energy gathering and no sacrificing FP to power magic. Instead you had to buy Energy Reserve or different energy-storage items that could power magic and be recharged at places were magic naturally gathers called "Wellsprings".

Most energy and people could only be used for spells that matched, IE: Destructive energy can only be used for Destroy spells, and could be harvested from destroying shit. The energy you collect and use also changes you, running though a lot of energy harvested from dying enemies could make you deeply fucked up and tainted with Death and Destruction.

Healing, Knowledge and Protection wellsprings were rare and valuable but Fire, Death and Destruction are easy-ish to find, with mostly the risk that they'd attract things you don't want to meet.
>>
>>51704921
you should absolutely check runequest 6. it has a really similar system
>>
>>51704921
>>51705091
Thanks for both your suggestions, I love colored/thematic mana and places of power where it gathers.
>>
Have any of you ever used a random aspect in character creation? A table that determines which random physical mutation your character was born with, for instance?
>>
>>51705574
Not in GURPS but yeah, postapoc settings tend to have them.
>>
>Favorite Pyramid article
It's nothing sexy, but the article from the 10th Anniversary issue that listed ten or so rules the devs wish they included in the Basic Set. It's great for new players and GMs as, by and large, those rules are very very useful.
>>
>>51706587
>10th Anniversary issue
What number it is?
>>
>>51706658
>>
File: Del_Duque.png (395KB, 1288x1278px) Image search: [Google]
Del_Duque.png
395KB, 1288x1278px
Why haven't you made a Lucha libre yet?
>>
>>51706853
Are you going to post this in every /gurpsgen/?
>>
>>51706876
It's the new "I love Sorcery!" I guess.
>>
File: wiz.jpg (118KB, 736x1082px) Image search: [Google]
wiz.jpg
118KB, 736x1082px
Question

How do YOU prepare for a session. Besides the character sheets, what stuff do you make sure is written down and in front of you before the session starts? Do you have any tips for preparing a session?
>>
>>51709636
You should probably spell out all the crunch-relevant aspects of your setting if you can't instantly recall them and even if you can.
>>
What are the different system of magic described in any GURPS book? Also what are their pros and cons ?
>>
>>51710555
Man, we had a guy do a really good breakdown of this. I hope we can find that.

In the mean time..

Basic Set Magic: Found in Magic and the Basic Set, this has each spell as a distinct skill and powered by FP or powerstones that can hold extra energy.

Pro: Each spell is self contained and has clear, easy to adjudicate effects.

Relatively well balanced for TL 1-4 combat.

Easily re-balanced and altered by removing spells allowed from the list.

Magic item creation rules are robust.

Con: Relatively inflexible. If you can't find a spell for something, you can't do it.

Magic isn't a great book. Many spells are widly unbalanced and some are simply copied from 3rd edition without careful revision.

Neutral: Relatively low powered. Even relatively powerful mages aren't going to wipe out armies.

Ritual Path Magic. Found in Monster Hunters and expanded greatly in GURPS: Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic. Paths are skills like Life, Energy, ect. Spells are built by picking a matched area, then from Greater and Lesser effects.

More later, for now I've got to get lunch.
>>
>>51702978
How hard is it to convert the vehicles that appear in the WW2 3e books into 4e. I'm planning on running a game for my group where they get to be tankers.
>>
File: tumblr_n30cp7Zj5f1smdujbo1_1280.jpg (416KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n30cp7Zj5f1smdujbo1_1280.jpg
416KB, 600x900px
>>51710881
RPM Good:

Very flexible. Almost any effect can be generated out of robust formulas.

Scales neatly. How fast and powerful someone can use magic is limited by advantages and skill levels.

Invites and encourages careful preparation, with PC spellcasters designing their own spells and preparing them in Tokens ahead of time.

Cons:

No real way to make lasting magic items, though very long lasting ones can be made.

Every spell effect players create must be cleared by the GM to make sure that follow formulas properly. In some cases there will be disagreement over what counts as a Greater or Lesser effect.

It can be hard to come up with quirks for spells.

Can be somewhat hard to limit. Because the only limit to how powerful an effect you can make is how much energy you can gather you can perform very, very big effects that can seriously unbalance the game if you have enough time.

Syntactic Magic. Found in GURPS Thaumatology. Spells are built from a Verb and a Noun, with energy cost and time to cast calculated from that.

Pros: Flexible but not unlimited. Verbs and Nouns are skills, and the available ones can be used to control what sort of magic you allow in game.

Lots of options. Though this is partly from it being quite imperfectly defined there are tons of ways to modify this to suit a game.

Cons:

Lots of options II: Calculating how a given spell will work can require lots of GM intervention, and you have to pick how things like energy will work, how paramaters on a spell work, ect.
>>
>>51710555
>>51710881
Check the OP, though the posts here are good overviews as well.
>>
QUESTION: Have you ever used GURPS Ultra Lite?
>>
>>51713311
No.
>>
>>51713311
Short answer? No.
>>
>>51709636
Pre-game I draw a directed graph (or multigraph) of the expected places of interest. I also draw up some dialog trees (more as memory aids than something to slavishly follow). Then I make a short document containing the rules changes from printed material and character creation guidelines which gets emailed to the players.

The graph nodes are annotated with memory aids for points of interest (usually clues or NPC names w/Reaction).

Pre-session I adjust the above graph to account for things that happened previously.

All of that lives in a 3-ring binder which is the only reference I use during the game (for session or rules). Each distinct adventure or chapter or season of a particular game gets a divider. Each different game gets a new binder.
>>
>>51713311
No. It's worse than Lite, and even lite is lacking some of the necessary combat rules to not make combat a slog.
>>
Building a sorceror who's also a mechanic in a tl8 world where sorcery is open knowledge. Any advice for spell building? 250/75 game.
>>
>>51714580
How is Lite bad? It's a good introduction and playaid for new players.
>>
>>51715127
Control (Metal) or Telekinesis can net you a bonus to most mundane skill rolls relevant to your job as a mechanic as per p. P162. Your iconic spells might be to summon automatons (Ally w/Minion and the Automaton metatrait) or mechanical devices (Snatcher with Create and Accessibility), to buff machines (at the very least, Affliction with either Reduced Consumption or Does Not Eat/Drink would be quite useful), or to heal them directly (Anything from a heavily modified Healing to Affliction that grants Regeneration or simply removes Unhealing). Buying an Accessory perk to represent a summonable tool kit would be pretty cool too.
>>
>>51715485
That does sound cool. Thanks annon. Any pifalls I should know about for sorcery?
>>
>>51715986
It's very easy to get caught in the trap of taking too long to make improvised spells. Learn to eyeball values (especially Accessibility values) and remember that the GM's word is law; don't take up valuable time if he eyeballs your improvised spell a touch weaker than you would like.
>>
File: 1486833025044.png (203KB, 540x672px) Image search: [Google]
1486833025044.png
203KB, 540x672px
Gentlemen, how do you stat the murdering robot (murderbot)?

It's chassis is nearly indestructible, and it has incredibly stable hyperspeed lightning fast movement legs, leaving it immune to tripping or slipping. And in the event it could be put on it's side, it would either turn the death blender into a floor-sweeper or a flying death blender. Not to mention that being prone makes it's legs even more combat-ready. Electrifying it only makes it more powerful. You simply cannot out-melee it, and forget about dodging, because it's body is cylindrical and by extension rotates with whoever it attacks.

Here's the monster's theme, for inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmbnnsHwEPY
>>
>>51716743
ST 15
DX 11
IQ ??
HT 14

Basic Speed 6
Basic Move 10

20 DR (Hardened)
Perfect Balance
Striker (2d6 cut)

No Arms
>>
If I'm using tactical combat, and I turn 180 degrees and attack without taking a step, is it a Move and Attack?
>>
>>51716977
How many movement points does that cost you (B386, B387)? How many do you receive for a Move and Attack (B385, B386)? Can you spend that amount of movement points and still attack using any other maneuvers (All-Out Attack maybe, the 'Step' part of an Attack perhaps; B385, B386)?

Still have any questions?
>>
>>51717081
So let me get this straight: I have 5 movement points. If I want to stand still and turn 180 I spend 3 movement points, and All-Out-Attack allows me to move 3 movement points and attack. But if I didn't want to make an All-Out-Attack, I have to take a step - as "The 'Step' in Tactical Combat" says.
>>
>>51717277
Huh yeah that is worded oddly. However, the entry for Step in the Combat Chapter on p. B368 clears this up: "You may always turn to face a different direction as part of any step (or as the step, if you just want to change your facing)." The textbox in the Tactical Combat chapter is just there to say that a Step always warrants at least one hex of movement; the standard rules for Steps should still apply.
>>
>>51717400
Ah. I see. That clears it up. Thanks!
>>
>>51702978
>Have you ever played a successful game over Roll20?
Yep. 1year anniversary this week of Grimwyrd
>How successful was it?
Random game I impulsively put together from 4chan randoms. Pretty successful.
>Did you benefit from playing over a computer, or do you prefer sitting at a table?
Loaded question. IRL is always better
More fidelity. But the online mapping tool is cool.
>Would you consider using Roll20 as a tool, where you sit at a table and use Roll20's features?
Yep
>>
Reading through the basic set, I got some questions about climbing (B349).

Do you count the height of the climb from the character's height or from the floor?

Say my character is 6 feet tall and wants to climb a 12 feet tree (1ft/sec as per the table) in combat. Would it take him 12 rounds, 6 rounds or even less because he can get a jumping start? Also, in combat, should I roll climb every round? Finally, the FP cost per climb or per round of climbing?
>>
What's your favorite gurps memory?
>>
>>51717802
>Do you count the height of the climb from the character's height or from the floor?
Depends entirely on the context. Are you climbing the tree to get at something at the very top like a rare bird egg? It takes less that six seconds as you can already reach up approximately 8 feet. Are you climbing the tree to get away from the Leaping Krag'thok? You're going to want to keep climbing to keep your boots away from the creature you desperately hope cannot climb as well. Having a jumping start always helps, though in a realistic game I may penalize the first climb roll (it's easier to get a solid grip then push/pull up than to fling yourself at a tree and get a handhold before your fall, though the bonus height may help).

Yes, I believe using the speeds under the Combat column cost 1 FP/second while the more moderate speeds under the Regular column cost FP as per hiking.
>>
>>51717970
My group taking down the bandit chief that was high on Evil Mahou.
>>
>>51718011
Thanks, measuring climb height as the distance you want your feet to be from the floor sounds like the right way to go about it.
>>
>>51717970
Hacker takes a shot on an enemy, through a telepresence video system, through a wall, with an ETK anti materiel rifle with thermobaroc rounds, and rolls a 3 to hit the skull.

It was an awesome night
>>
>>51718138
That sounds messy.
>>
>>51718154
It was something like a hundred damage after ×4 wounding
>>
File: 1185928_1.jpg (75KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
1185928_1.jpg
75KB, 630x630px
Would anyone interested in a GURPS campaign podcast aimed at teaching the system to those intimidated by it? Something like starting with the basic set, but then utilizing aspects of different books in subsequent episodes.
>>
>>51719467
Sounds cool! Ask around the GURPS discord, though, cuz im not sure what sort of legal stuff would be involved.
>>
>>51719983
Where's the Discord?
>>
>>51720154
https://discord.gg/kNguF
>>
What is the difference between magic and thaumatology?
>>
>>51722055
Magic is a long list of extra spells for the standard magic system as presented in the Basic Set. Thaumatology is a guidebook in creating and tweaking your own magic systems.
>>
>>51717970
Might be the climax to the first big story arc in Grimwyld, where we reached a ruined fortress and had a HUGE battle with a swarm of gnolls and a dragon, culminating in the use of a huge gun to shoot a dragon in the head.
>>
>>51702978
>What is your favorite Pyramid article? Have you used this in play? How did that go? Would you recommend it?
Bulding the low-tech Landscape, i've used it for every single lowtech and infinity world game i ran after reading it.
>>
>>51717970

My players using improvised explosives to destroy a frigate in orbit of the planet they were defending, via a landing craft returning to base.
>>
>>51722238
Pyramid #?
>>
File: Just Roll 3d6.jpg (16KB, 500x240px) Image search: [Google]
Just Roll 3d6.jpg
16KB, 500x240px
What's your favourite GURPS meme?
>>
>>51723313
Asparagus
>>
>>51723313
"No flavor," like it's the system's fault that your setting is dry and boring.
>>
>>51723720
Now hold on, I do think there's a connection between the rules you are using and the flavour of your game.
>>
>>51723313
>gurps math
>gurps can run anything
>df are not gurpsbaby whine I wanna play d&d
>>
>>51723313
>What system should i use to roleplay X that isn't GURPS?
>>
>>51723840
How is "d20+mod vs DC" more flavorful than "3d6 roll under"?
While yes there are quite a few systems out there that mesh mechanics and fluff in very fun ways (DRYH and Dread are my favorite systems outside of GURPS), the vast majority of systems don't; there's nothing innately fantastical about the d20 or class levels, inherently dramatic or angsty about d10 dice pools and dots, or instinctively sanity-blasting/heretical to d%.

Plus, the entire point of GURPS is to provide GMs with a shitton of options they can pick and choose from; if the rules you chose don't lead to the kind of flavor you want, that's on YOU. There's no reason to use bleeding rules or shock penalties in a lighthearted fantasy adventure; discrete skills can be removed in favor of wildcard skills, and Destiny/Wildcard points are available as metacurrency if you want players to be Big Damn Heroes that always have a heroic ace up their sleeves narrative-wise. If I picked the right cinematic rules and put in a lot of legwork writing up the abilities, I could make a GURPS clone of D&D 4e, and that's an incredibly gamist system that most people would put at the total opposite end of the spectrum from "standard" GURPS.

GURPS is 100% what you make it.
>>
File: No Flavour.png (6KB, 216x195px) Image search: [Google]
No Flavour.png
6KB, 216x195px
>>51723840

In GURPS it's the GM's job to pick rules that work with and enhance their setting.
>>
>>51724156
>>51723840
>>51723720
>No flavor
No duh. Why are people trying to eat a book anyway?
>>
>>51724188

D&D/PF players are weird
>>
>>51723720
>No flavor
I don't understand how this meme still exists when we have >>51723346
>>
>>51724318
I've heard some savages simply boil asparagus and eat it. No garlic, no butter or olive oil, no salt or pepper, and not even steamed.
I can't imagine suffering through such a flavorless existence.
>>
>>51722087
Holy shit. Shooting dragons? This some kind of shadowrun game?
>>
Is ST15 and OHWT+akimbo perks are enough to dual wield TDI Kriss Super V SMG (ST7†)?
>>
>>51726247
What book are they in? Searching the name doesn't bring up any results in High-Tech or Pulp Guns I/II. Still, I'd say yes after a cursory glance towards Google; at ST 15 you look like Rambo, so dual-wielding carbines is reasonable
>>
>>51726422
In Tactical Shooting
>>
File: 1478223752484.jpg (2MB, 2714x2604px) Image search: [Google]
1478223752484.jpg
2MB, 2714x2604px
>>51725857
TL 4 dark fantasy. Plate armor and large swords and flintlock, muzzle loading guns. There's magic, mostly a sort of sorcery variant, but it's dangerous and corruptive.
>>
Could someone explain the Basic Set radiation rules for me? I've read through it and there are still some unanswered questions that I have. When do you roll against HT if you're getting a continuous dose of rads, what happens to the 10% of a dose that becomes permanent, and how do the TL7 chelating drugs work?
>>
>>51722943
Sorry for the long wait, i was at work.

And, huh, i don't know, its a fucking hell finding a copy of it. Something about the author wife claiming copyright after he was dead forced the article out of sale;
http://www.sjgames.com/pyramid/sample.html?id=5953

Here, i uploaded it;
Part 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1tmp8txmchjt52s/Pyramid%20-%20building%20the%20low-tech%20landscape%2C%20part%201%20-%20peasant%20economics%20%28for%20gurps%204e%29.pdf?dl=0

Part 2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/712sd06x1oddnmj/Pyramid%20-%20building%20the%20low-tech%20landscape%2C%20part%202%20-%20overlords%20%26%20cities%20%28for%20gurps%204e%29.pdf?dl=0
>>
>>51728037
Huh, if you are getting into rad rules you might take a look at After The End, it got way better rules for it, but beware, thats only if radiation is going to be something significative
>>
>>51729292
>Something about the author wife claiming copyright after he was dead forced the article out of sale

Nothing like that, the article was in Pyramid version 2 (the web magazine) so it doesn't exist anywhere anymore. Unless you happened to be a subscriber when it converted to version 3 and could download the archive.
>>
>>51729383
I was looking at that, but I'd like to use something a little more realistic.
>>
>>51729589
Well, someone told me the wife thing when i first asked about it, i was just retelling it. At least is good to know that it isn't for a reason that stupid, but, i dunno, loosing a article on a conversion sounds dumb too
>>
>>51725857
>He hasn't heard tell of Gray the mighty beastman hewing enemies in half and abusing shield slams
It's like you don't even /gurpsgeneral/
>Laughing elf women.jpeg
>>
I'm trying to make a character that's an AI that controls a computer system with some robot proxies, a bit of a headache though
>>
>>51730623
>AI
Digital Mind is the only *necessary* ability for the mental aspect. Take physical traits to represent your current mainframe (No Legs, Unliving, no ST or DX, etc.)

>RoboProxies
Possession (Digital), then Ally with Minion, and then the Puppet advantages.
>>
>>51730623
Treat it like a digital ghost possessing the most expensive (racial template wise) body it currently owns and inhabits
>>
>>51730667
>>51730725

I think I was gonna go for duplication so that I could have a bunch of bodies that care for my main core. The Machine trait helps.
>>
>>51729961
GURPS Disasters: Meltdown and Fallout. It's the "very realistic" treatment/expanded and more detailed rules for radiation, fallout, dealing with them, etc.
Also lots of helpful info and advice on using thermonuclear reactors, radiation hazards, etc. as campaign obstacles and features.
>>
File: 1487125986677.gif (4MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1487125986677.gif
4MB, 400x225px
How would you represent Killer Queen's power in GURPS? I'm shit at statting stuff like this, and I think it would be a cool power to use for GURPS.

For those who don't know, he can turn anything he touches into a bomb(Doesn't look any different, is just "armed"), and then detonate it later on by making a motion like he's pressing a button with his thumb(Or set it to detonate on contact if he wishes instead). He can only have one item "armed" at a time, as well. I really have no way to begin to approach this, beyond maybe Crushing AoE innate attack, with some kind of limitations?
>>
>>51732767
And I uploaded the wrong image, on accident. I feel so smart. Not that the picture really matters I suppose.
>>
>>51732767
Reach C, explosion, delay (trigger), stand power modifier.
Only one bomb at time, I think just a nuisance effect, if old disappear when u place a new one.
>>
>>51732767
The attack is an explosion. Easy to stay as cr ex with Inc
The delivery is the hard part.
Combining melee/touch, affliction(cosmic, no resistance) and delay
>>
>>51732944
>>51732954
That's a lot simpler than I'd expected actually, I was over-complicating it in my head I guess.
>>
File: 1485863717252.jpg (131KB, 700x544px) Image search: [Google]
1485863717252.jpg
131KB, 700x544px
I'm trying to peg down firefly tech
The engines are superscience, simple, requiring fuel and performing highly efficient sunlight acceleration

But the weapon and materials tech boggles me. I'm thinking there's wiggle room for stuff. Like including normal tech, then upgrading with "durasteel" which is a likely nano composite metal/plastic infused with nanotubes carbon fiber.

Is it a pessimistic TL9 ?
>>
File: 1273850786237s.jpg (8KB, 250x252px) Image search: [Google]
1273850786237s.jpg
8KB, 250x252px
>>51732972
Always brake those down into Delivery/Effect. It helps to grok
>>
>>51732944
>>51732954
The issue is that those attacks place a bomb on the target; they don't turn them INTO a bomb, and while the difference is subtle, its meaningful. That's why the last FOUR TIMES you asked, the thread consensus was Affliction (Fragile, Explosive) linked with Affliction (Heart Attack) plus Delay, Melee C, etc.

Also Cosmic (No Resistance Roll) is verboten. The only way to make it irresistible is to buy enough levels of Affliction that the penalty is effectively impossible to overcome.
>>
>>51733276
>Heart attack
>Which kills in HT/3 minutes
That seems incredibly shitty, for the intended goal.
>>
>>51733342
>>51733276
Also, after double checking a few things, there's still a couple flaws with this, namely that even if Heart Attack didn't take minutes to kill, it still has no way to trigger Fragile(Explosive), since it doesn't trigger HT rolls for Major Wounds or to save against death. On top of that, while it's not explicitly disallowed, I don't feel like "heart attack" should apply to objects right out of the box.

Though, I do *LOVE* that Fragile(Explosive) makes it so that the bomb is more powerful the more HT the target has, meaning bigger shit=bigger boom
>>
>>51733342
Affliction (Heart Attack) is the de facto "instant death" ability and is treated as such in supplements like Powers and by devs in their own works; it's +300% price tag is used with similarly powerful afflictions.
Heart Attack calls for an HT roll to avoid death; Fragile Explosive causes you to explode when failing a HT roll vs death by 3+ which is very doable when you buy up Affliction.
>>
>>51733432
": Your heart stops
functioning (“cardiac arrest”). You
immediately drop to -1¥FP. Regardless
of your current HP, you will die in
HT/3 minutes unless resuscitated – see
Resuscitation (p. 425). If you survive,
you will be at 0 HP or your current HP,
whichever is worse. Missing HP heal
normally. If you die and it matters
what your HP total was, treat this as
death at -1¥HP or your current HP,
whichever is worse."
No HT roll. There's an HT roll for Affliction, but that's not an HT roll against death, that's a roll against being afflicted, and said affliction puts you in a state where you will die without treatment. I didn't know about other supplements treating Heart Attack as "Instant Death" though, I'll look into that, real quick.
>>
>>51733432
>>51733448
After looking into Powers, it says nothing about Heart Attack being Instant. The closest is in the "Instant-Death Attacks" section, which only mentions it as a way to bypass HP, and in fact even mentions in the same section that someone can be saved from it after failing the HT roll, via medical attention.
>>
>>51733419
>it still has no way to trigger Fragile(Explosive), since it doesn't trigger HT rolls for Major Wounds or to save against death
Arguable. Affliction (Heart Attack) calls for an HT roll, and if you fail that HT roll, you die. As such, I've always treated it as HT roll vs Death. I do agree this isn't the most RAW interpretation, though as a GM I see little issue with interpreting it this way.

>>51733448
From p. P118 under Instant-Death Attacks in the Absolutes section:
>The simplest attack that slays the victim outright – like a “death ray” – is an Affliction with the Heart Attack enhancement. For reliable lethality, take lots of levels; a godlike being with Affliction 19 (HT-18; Heart Attack, +300%) [760] could instantly kill anyone with human-level HT (20 or less).

The only other alternative I see is adding HT penalty to Affliction (Fragile Explosive) and linking it with an Innate Attack, but there's the issue of HP scaling. At the same time, though, we never see Kira use Killer Queen on buildings, heavy objects, or cars, so maybe having it deal enough damage to only kill things with 20 HP or less would be fine.
>>
>>51733538
>It says nothing about Heart Attack being instant.
>Except where it lists Heart Attack under "Instant-Death Attacks" and says enough levels could "instantly kill anyone with human-level HT."
>>
>>51733594
>From p. P118 under Instant-Death Attacks in the Absolutes section:
From later on in the same section
"Since Heart Attack (+300%) would
kill the target on a failed HT roll, barring special medical aid, the GM might
let the same +300% buy an effect that
removes the target from play without
killing him. Since either takes care of
the target for good in the absence of
powerful external intervention, the difference is largely a special effect."

Though, I mostly agree with the general idea, it just doesn't really work RAW. I'll have to think on it. Especially since it's just so expensive, it feels like it might be more dangerous than I'm imagining it to be in my head.
>>
How would YOU go about doing a short-turnover merchant campaign (according to LTC3's rules for short turnover businesses) where players buy goods for a day and try to sell it and whatnot?
>>
>>51719467
interested
>>
>>51733855
Players spends 80% starting wealth on wagon, cooking gear and raw foodstuff.
Cook rolls cooking-20 to cook food.
Seller rolls merchant-20 to sell food.
Brawler pushing wagon around block.
Repeat weekly till bored.
>>
>>51734118
>Repeat weekly till bored.
yeah thats the rub with purely mechanics based economic games. it's like playing civ 4 colonization; once the economy is figured out you can buy whatever you need to win
>>
>>51734118
>>51734328
Only true if the GM can't think of anything interesting. If the GM has a "realistic" economy working, then running about in the same area cooking and selling food wont cut it for too long. What if a guy comes up and can sell at stupid low prices, taking away *all* you customers? Or what if you want to move up the ranks?
>>
>>51734399
Don't forget the criminal organizations and corrupt (or even just over-zealous) local authorities.
>>
>>51734410
You are now imagining a campaign about the cut-throat (literally) world chef trying to out-cook opponents in their mobile wagon-based kitchens, vying for patrons, and resisting the machinations of evil food mafias.
>>
>>51734399
>Only true if the GM can't think of anything interesting
Another kebabseller whos going to save world from ancient evil? Not that crap again!
>>
>>51734483
He sells kebabs until he can finance his own private army, and then he funds the adventurers who kill the ancient evil.
>>
File: dethklok_00398204-630x420.jpg (17KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
dethklok_00398204-630x420.jpg
17KB, 630x420px
>>51734537
This is how I bard.
>>
I'm making notes for modifiers I could apply for a Merchant job roll. Could someone proofread it to make sure they're not completely stupid, and just generally provide feedback?

http://pastebin.com/jFwVqV3r
>>
>>51733001

I'd note that firefly is schico-tech. Hovercraft drive past horse drawn wagons on the way to market, people use gun designs from 1870 beside laser guns.

I'd break it down like After the End. There's stuff up to TL10^ psi stuff, but the vast majority of people use TL 8 and less.

That said, gear upgraded with high tech materials and equipment that looks a few TL lower then what it really is would fit right in.

Ships are build out of TL 9^ tech, with artificial gravity and drives that allow days from one world to another in the same, large, solar system as well as casual SSTO, though that might be partly or totally from gravity control.
>>
>>51734891
>http://pastebin.com/jFwVqV3r

Not bad. Feels a little clunky, and I don't think you should get a reputation for selling at/under cost most of the time. People resent getting charged extra, but if demand isn't low / the items aren't critical they just shop somewhere else, not hold a grudge. I'd instead have attempts to get extra money give you wasted time. You don't lose money or goods, but you lose time because you failed to close sales at your higher prices. You keep it up and you are likely to lose money despite selling for more because you aren't moving as much volume.

The exception would be goods in high demand. I'd allow you to sacrifice the markup you could make to instead get a bonus, especially if providing items like medical supplies, water, food, fuel, warm clothes and blankets, ect. People remember the guy that gives them a break when times are tough.
>>
>>51735103
Thanks for the feedback. I'm working out the clunk so I can read it better and perhaps share it with others. I agree that the bad reputation is a bit rough, though a critical failure *could* bring a bad rep if a guy writes about your shop in a paper! (though that falls under the usual "bad stuff happens" for critfailing at a job)
>>
>>51735103
>>51735142

http://pastebin.com/ZZmXPJG8

I've added some things, changed some wording about, and added the concept of Acceptable Markup (AM). I'm going to add some more shit to it tomorrow.

Anyone, feel free to add ontop it!
>>
>>51735373
Woops! Wrong pastebin!

http://pastebin.com/SXGJaCSC THIS IS IT!
>>
File: 1407193049302.jpg (888KB, 600x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1407193049302.jpg
888KB, 600x1100px
>>51735387
Looks okay. I might note that better marketing and goods selection can modify what you can charge for an item without effecting reputation, or even when improving it. Selling coats out of a clean, well lit shop with mirrors to check the fit and a seamstress on hand to make adjustments allows you to charge more for basically the same items people might get on a street corner.

People don't think much of the guy that sells coats out of the back of a truck at low prices. In your system he'd have a relatively low AM, but if he sells a quality good for less then people would pay elsewhere (selling under his AM) he could get a Good Reputation for being the guy that provides quality coats cheap.
>>
>>51735457
Would you say that a player could pump money into his store (to put in those mirrors and hire that seamstress) to increase his AM?

Perhaps I could put in something about increasing AM based on how much money has been put into the store or presentation or whatever.
>>
>>51735518
You could also just do a wholesale/retail divide. If you haven't invested in a shop you get wholesale prices, or low-volume retail at casual markets.
>>
>>51735575
Hmm, interesting.
>>
>>51735626
>>51735575

Would you like to provide an example for my writeup?
>>
>>51735634
Wholesale: You make your money bringing lots of stuff. You don't need no fucking shop, you sell to people that have one.

This is good if you've got a ship or something and a producer you can buy from cheap. You load up the stuff, taking it from where there is lots of it to where there is little of it, then sell it to the people that own shops there and let them sell it to the public. You can unload all of this shit quickly, turn around and get another load. You also don't have to deal with the public, just with merchants.

Wholesale is typically going to be Cost + 10% or so. If you ask for more someone else will just come along and sell it for cheaper. That said, it can be a whole lot more if you read the markets, trends and spot a place that isn't getting the stuff they need.

Like if you bring five tons of bourbon whisky to a dry town in 1925 you might get twenty times what you paid for it up in Quebec.

Retail is when you set up a shop and sell to the public. You can charge whatever the market will bare and a lot of your cost is going to depend on the perceived quality and value of your shop. A whole game could be built around advertising, designing, decorating and establishing your shop and brand, includeing finding high quaility items at the lowest cost you can.
>>
>>51724156
I never said GURPS can't have flavour.

Some anon just said that it's just the game world's fault if a game doesn't have flavour. I disagreed. You interact with the game rules constantly, so they constantly influence the atmosphere of a game.

I think GURPS' rules are perfectly capable of being composed into a fitting ruleset for any kind of story.
>>
Pyramid #100 when? and about what?
>>
>>51736382
Probably next thursday and about df
>>
>>51736382
>>51736487
Ghostdancer promised it will be good. So you can bully him in discord if he lied and it's just another df pyramid.
>>
Someone posted a theoretical 51-pt Innate Attack that hurts simultaneously everything in the known universe and beyond.

Does anyone still have this? I liked the thought experiment.
>>
Here's a pet project of mine, a modular "build your own" approach to reworking Ultra Tech weaponry and armor.

It was originally meant to be a simple minimalist replacement for our small group as none of us really liked the vanilla UT system, but the original campaign fell through in favor of a TL 5 campaign.
Over the last year or so, I've been making additions and revisions and reworks on and off whenever I've had an idea worth exploring, and the system has substantially increased in scope and content, to the point where it's not even close to being minimalistic.
I planned on posting it here after I had seen it in play in at least one campaign, as there are a few details that I want actual playtesting for and perhaps some things that need clarification, but now even our second attempt at a TL10 campaign seems to have evaporated, so I figured I might as well post it now rather than wait another year.

>http://pastebin.com/u/AlbertNonymous
>>
>>51737581

M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?p=239055
>>
>>51715150
>No Deceptive Attack
>No Feints
>No Rapid Strike
>Mentions step, doesn't define it
>No Retreating
>No probability table
>Shotgun RoF isn't explained
>No Rapid Fire bonuses anyway
>No magic
>No grappling

For an introduction to a generic and universal system it's bad at being generic and universal.
>>
Which combat rules from the Basic Set would you say are definitely optional? Are there combat rules outside of the Basic Set that are generally considered essential for running fun and engaging combat scenes?
>>
Has anyone done a game where you are teaching someone? I don't mean teaching GURPS, I mean like you got an in-game apprentice.

Can it be made fun? How did you do it?
>>
File: traps_illustrated.png (201KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
traps_illustrated.png
201KB, 500x281px
I know that D&D's has a book dedicated to traps. Does GURPS have an equivalent book?
>>
Why do you need to parry first, when using Judo to throw/grab/lock someone? I could see it if you're grabbing the offending arm and throwing FROM the parry, but they can still either move away if they have an action remaining, or simply parry your attempt to grab them(So you clearly didn't grab them when they tried to hit you), so what's the reason for the "only after a parry" restriction?
>>
>>51740644
Actually, let me add another question:
How do I best use Judo effectively? As far as I can tell, it seems to be hands down the weakest of the Unarmed skill behind maybe Brawl, being the most expensive, and having a lot of severe limitations on it, that the others don't have. I feel like I'm missing something important, that makes it good.
>>
>>51739972

> book dedicated to traps
> why would D&D have a book about men who look like women?
> oh, boobytraps
> hmmm, boobies...
>>
>>51740644
>If you grapple
>a foe using Judo, and he fails to break
>free, you may make a Judo attack to
>throw him on your next turn, exactly
>as if you had parried his attack.

>>51740685
Judo is the best grappling skill. +3 parries on retreats, throwing anything (yes, even t-rexes) for stun or damage that lets you engage multiple targets. You severely underestimate just how bad it is to be thrown to the ground.
>>
>>51740713
>retreats, throwing anything (yes, even t-rexes) for stun or damage that lets you engage multiple targets
Where is that? In the book it just mentions throwing them, which makes them prone, but doesn't hurt them or anything. In fact, it even mentions you can't throw two people in one turn, even with all-out attack.
>>
>>51739000
Everything in the tactical combat chapter is more or less optional. You don't need a hex grid and can run combat narratively without a problem, though it's a different game then you get with tactical rules.

>>51739340

In teacher-student relationships can be very interesting. An apprentice is also a great way to allow a character to have a business or dojo or the like and not need to deal with it day to day. They also make ideal replacement PC's if your character dies or is forced to retire by injury.
>>
>>51741016
>>51740713
Okay, I found the stun/damage in martial arts, but is the stun really just a flat HT roll? Is there any way to penalize that? Otherwise it's super easy to beat, and if I'm fighting an enemy with a weapon(Especially a gun), they can just attack me from the ground.
>>
>>51742498
Yes, it's just a flat HT roll. I don't know of a specific way to penalize it, but I'm sure you could invent a Technique for it.

>>51741016
I misspoke. It's more that Judo gives you a temporary reprieve from multiple opponents. Prone penalties are harsh. If you can put someone on the ground, that's one less person you need to worry about, effectively.
>>
>>51739972
Not a whole book, but there's Rice's "It's a Trap" from Pyramid #3/60: Dungeon Fantasy 3 which is a bunch of tables for rolling up your own random traps.
>>
>>51743108
One last question. I know Lifting ST improves grappling. My question is, does it improve damage for grapple-based damaging effects, like Wrenching, or Judo Throw?
>>
>>51742498
My friend, the 'average' human HT is a flat 50% roll (HT 10). The consequences of failure on this roll are dire. If your opposition has an HT over 13, you're gonna have a bad time no matter what you're coming at them with, considering HT at 14 or more means failing a death roll is a rarity. Also look at the Basic Set paragraph on Parry: when someone attacks you with a firearm you can use parry as a defence so long you're within reach (Reach C in your case): move close to your enemy (close enough to kiss), and on their turn they will step back to be able to attack you, immediately 'retreat' forwards and parry, put them on the ground, waste their attack and possibly decomission them via stun, and now you're free to use your turn freely. Do note though, martial arts against gun-toting enemies is a bad idea - make sure your GM and you are both in the same page regarding how cinematic or realistic the game is.
>>
>>51744083
>immediately 'retreat' forwards and parry, put them on the ground, waste their attack and possibly decomission them via stun, and now you're free to use your turn freely.
Wait, what? I thought you still had to use your next action, to do the throw.
>>
>>51744083
>'retreat' forwards
Can you do that? I thought retreat was always straight away from the attack.
>>
>>51744119
I was in a rush, it's still a use of your turn, but a damn good use of your turn at that.

>>51744138
From Martial Arts, p.124 'Slip'. It's inferior as a defensive maneuver, it's a -2 + your retreat bonus, (meaning a +1 for a judo parry), but this is understandable for an offensive play.
>>
>>51744138
Martial Arts introduces "sidesteps" (retreats to the side that do not change the distance between attacker and defender) and "slips" (retreats that *close* the distance between attacker and defender), though both those options penalize the defense roll, so you'd only want to use them when keeping/closing distance is important tactically.
>>
File: 119284445141.jpg (29KB, 345x281px) Image search: [Google]
119284445141.jpg
29KB, 345x281px
>>51735008
Ah, so establish a baseline, just make stuff that's higher tech that much more expensive, and Rimworld's stuff that much cheaper

TL. COST
7 x1
8. X2
9. X4
10. X8
>>
>>51742042
>In teacher-student relationships can be very interesting. An apprentice is also a great way to allow a character to have a business or dojo or the like and not need to deal with it day to day. They also make ideal replacement PC's if your character dies or is forced to retire by injury.

SA: I'm toying around with the idea of running a single player game to basically beta test a magic system I cooked up, so they'll be doing a lot of study and discovery (they're into it). But I want to give them a whole story, a real arc. So once they figure out magic, an apprentice.

I'm really interested in how to get that teach-student relationship done beyond straight rolls.

Your comment on them helping out at the job does give me a few ideas...
>>
File: 20100702_rtl3328_hdr.jpg (225KB, 1200x798px) Image search: [Google]
20100702_rtl3328_hdr.jpg
225KB, 1200x798px
>>51744688
Sounds good. I might go all the way down to TL 5 as Baseline tech, with TL 6+ costing extra, just to show why people are living all Space Western out on the Rim, but that would make things pretty painful for PCs and you can always chalk the space western thing up to style and preference of the locals.

I suppose you could introduce TL for different worlds, with your baseline applying to the whole system but some worlds adding extra cost for TL above the local. So if you are on some fucked up moon where people mine mud all day and live TL 5 style then you might have to pay double for TL 6 and TL 7+ stuff might not be available locally no matter how much money you've got.

>>51746304

Shadowing a master on the job and performing routine, day to day parts of the work are vital parts of a apprentice's education. Best way to learn is doing.
>>
>>51743825
I assume so.
>>
If the entire party learns a sign language instead of Gesture, can you communicate complex ideas without any rolls?
>>
>>51747899
Yes, as complex as the sign language allows.
>>
>>51737957
The really scary thing is that by reducing the area of effect to something only slightly less absurd (like 1 parsec) you cut the cost down to a couple of points.
But the thread stated that abilities must be between 47 and 53 points so of course he went for 53 points like a true munchkin. Good man.
>>
>>51746304
Back to School has a bit on master/apprentice campaigns; it might be worth a look.
>>
http://mu.ranter.net/pen-and-paper-gaming-adventures/how-do-gurps-and-why-it-sucks-anyway

What are your thoughts on this article?

I feel like the answer to the core question is pretty obvious.
>How can we get people to try the game without getting buried under hundreds of pages of tables and umpteen zillion splatbooks?
>How can you tell a new player to just take the bits he needs when he’s already drowning in a sea of useless-to-his-campaign rules?

You let a new player choose out of a few premade characters or combine a few fitting templates to get him into the game without too much hassle. If and when he turns out to like the game, you use that motivation to have him tackle the rules.

And even then, making a character is not that hard.
>>
>>51734633
so, lots of points in wealth, status, and reputation?
>>
>>51737581
>>51737957
It doesnt quite work as written, because emanations can't have area effect, but you don't need the emanation, you just aim at the ground beneath you.
>>
Where's the best place to look if I want hard copies of the books? PDF's are fine and all, but I prefer to have something I can hold in my hand.
>>
>>51751460
Amazon has a solid selection of GURPS books, with lots of dirt cheap 3rd ed stuff and a good selection of 4th stuff, mostly at cover price.

Note that some of the stuff is new print on demand. The quality is good, but they are paperback.

For a last resort there's Lula, where you can have PDFs printed up as hardbound. That involves a lot of tweaking, though.
>>
>>51747899
as complex as an ero-feelie visual novel
>>
>>51752980
thinking about it maybe it could be fun to stat the katawa shoujo characters to have them as NPC.
Will give it a try, i will definitely start with best girl
>>
>>51746488

While there's a style choice by the writers, Firefly's space western nature isn't all that whimsical and actually makes a great deal of sense for fringe colonies on the edge of civilization. High tech requires considerable specialized infrastructure and logistics to be maintained, which is largely unfeasible on a newly-colonized planet, so for a example a horse would be cheaper and far more reliable than a car if the latter were difficult to refuel (no local oil/fuel extraction or processing) or repair should it break down (lack of spare parts).

Lower tech is generally cheaper and easier to maintain without highly developed infrastructure. You might have the odd hovercraft or advanced gadget here and there, but it's just sensible to predominantly see more primitive stuff around.
>>
>>51751449

Hmm...

But that also won't work.

Skill 10, targeting the ground at +4, RoF bonus of +10 or something.
On average you beat your effective skill by a margin of 14, which means you hit 14 times.
>>
>>51754012
You don't understand scatter and area effects attacks.
>>
>>51754399

What I don't understand is high RoF and area attacks, I know there's no scatter on a hit, and you're pretty much guaranteed to hit.
>>
>>51754399
Protip: explain things instead of bitching at people for not knowing. Only you can stop GURPS General from being an elitist cesspit. Fuck, 90% of our conversations here are helping out newbies anyway.

>>51754012
On p. B414, the book talks about AoE attacks that miss being subject to scatter; while a missed attack is simply a missed attack most of the time, explosions or Area Effect attacks can still catch the target in their blast radius. When your blast radius is bigger than the known universe, you really can't miss hard enough to not have all 300 attacks hit. That being said, RAW the rules do not explicitly mention excess rounds from a high-RoF attack being subject to Scattering -- it assumes a single thrown/fired grenade that missed or is dodged -- but it's a bit silly to assume that if you fire 10 HEAT rounds in an attack but only three hit that the other seven just stop existing and never explode.
>>
>>51754642
>RAW the rules do not explicitly mention excess rounds from a high-RoF attack being subject to Scattering
That's the problem here, we're already making a silly, game-breaking, disallowed-in-all-sane-campaigns attacks, the only thing that justifies it's existence is if it works by RAW.
>>
>>51753005
well, shit, i'm stuck. should Rin work as a No fine manipulator? i mean, her feet are kind of good at being hands
>>
>>51750661

I assume it's in the repository? Thanks tons, man! When I get back to my own computer I'll grab it.

>>51751368
>I feel like the answer to the core question is pretty obvious.
>>How can we get people to try the game without getting buried under hundreds of pages of tables and umpteen zillion splatbooks?
>>How can you tell a new player to just take the bits he needs when he’s already drowning in a sea of useless-to-his-campaign rules?

Someone once proposed a Ticky-Box PDF Basic Set.

Basically next to each Advantage, Disadvantage, modifer, and Skill, there would be a ticky box. Basically integrating the trait-sorter with the text for easier reference.

So say if you're running a bunnies and burrows campaign, you go through it, ticky-box No Fine Manipulators both subheadings of "No fine manipulators" and "No manipulators" would be checked off, but you could untick "No Manipulators."

Once you're done, you run whatever it is, and it spits out ONLY what you ticky-boxed, resulting in a campaign appropriate GURPS Lite Supplement.
>>
/gurpsgen/ which one is the pyramid catgirl article?
>>
>>51756333
That sounds fucking amazing, I really wish that were a thing.
Also yes, Social Engineering: Back to school is in there.
>>
>>51753260
That is a fair point. I don't mean to insult Firefly, things felt mostly consistent and the divided, variable TL of the setting makes for a whole lot of interesting story possibilities.
>>
>>51753260

I really liked the setting Aliens: Isolation for this reason too, while the Alien setting as a whole is on the edge between TL9 and TL10, the 80's sci-fi theme with all it's wire-phones, punch-cards and fat-screen displays don't feel at all out-of-place and outdated when you consider all equipment is built to withstand industrial use for 50+ years and replacement equipment is months or years away.
>>
File: 1452653617782.png (35KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1452653617782.png
35KB, 600x600px
>>51757748
I always loved in that Verse, how higher tech didn't necessarily mean higher morals.
Sure, Simon was a doctor with a heart of gold, but he had classical colonial attitudes to the rim. And sure, some Rimworld's were backwards Hicks, but often times they were people hardened up by hard times.

And don't get me started on the whole heart of gold shenanigans
>>
File: rusty_ship_interior_by_vonmurder.jpg (164KB, 1184x674px) Image search: [Google]
rusty_ship_interior_by_vonmurder.jpg
164KB, 1184x674px
>>51758152
Mm retrotech
>>
>>51757748

Oh, I didn't think you were insulting Firefly. I'm just semi-randomly commenting on the subject given it's an interesting premise indeed.

It applies to other settings (WH40K comes to mind) and even on real life Earth: while the developed world is around TL8, poverty and/or isolation make sure lower TLs are maintained in certain areas of the world. Anything from a single or two-level drop, common in -really- underdeveloped countries, to isolated native tribes that still to this day eke out an existence with little beyond Stone/Iron Age tech (TL1-2).

I figure the differences would be amplified on a space empire scale, with high-tech core worlds and development progressively decreasing as you move away from the bustling hubs. It wouldn't necessarily work like this all the time, however: an organized spacefaring nation could expand only at a rate which allows its colonies to maintain similar tech levels. But a vast, old, decentralized empire could be far less homogeneous.
>>
>>51758217
Hard times and places bring out the best and worst in people.
>>
>>51761517
I got me a hard time and place for the best and worst people, ifyaknowhatimean
>>
Latest Pyramid.

https://mega.nz/#!W1N2wCQJ!I0bCh6cNI6RZdyy9v8-VIlasphcN3pZKOj0xklIN6OQ
>>
Did a bunch of the 4th edition books just go back into print? Amazon show a new version of High-Tech with a publication date of yesterday. Anyone got a list of all the books which are available?
>>
>>51761958
Appears so; the new Pyramid namedrops a few titles, and it looks like others use Amazon's print-on-demand/CreateSpace service.

So, uh, fuck yeah. Finally gonna get me some more hardbacks!
>>
>>51762119
>>51761958
>No Martial Arts
Why would Kromm be so cruel...
>>
If I wanted to change the way Luck works from 'roll three times, pick the best result' to 'roll n dice, pick the three you want', what value should n have to end up with odds closest to the original version?
>>
>>51762138
I just bought a hardcover used copy on Amazon for $50.
>>
>>51716977
>>51717081
These two posts convinced me GURPS doesn't sound like fun
>>
>>51757478
>That sounds fucking amazing, I really wish that were a thing.

Ditto, I found out it's possible to do in adobe acrobat X

https://answers.acrobatusers.com/Print-selected-check-box-items-q36952.aspx

But I don't know how to do it in Libreoffice. It would be a hell of a lot of copypasta. Less annoying than making a library for GCS, though.

/tg/ lets get shit done
>>
>>51762877
Well, your opinion is what it is.
That being said, they're specifically talking about the "tactical combat" rules, which are very in-depth and also completely optional. I've never used them once and I've been running GURPS for about 15 years because I don't really enjoy tracking facing, etc. and prefer "theater of the mind" combat.

So, in other words, you could easily play GURPS without ever touching that stuff.

GURPS, toolkit, use what you want and chuck the rest, etc.
>>
>>51762877
I was the anon that answered with the page references.

Not trying to change your mind just trying to point out that anon was asking for the answer to wargame-y specific tactical map rules. I don't use those in play and I bet most groups don't either unless playing a tactical wargame.

I have used them for doing rogue-like dungeon crawls in GURPS or for arena games but don't for general RP.

That's the beauty of GURPS though. It goes that deep and detailed if you want it to. It's also pretty generally labelled as optional where it does that so you don't on accident.
>>
>>51709636
I run Dungeon Fantasy. I make sure I have the dungeon mapped for one, and what the final encounter will be. I always do some random loot from Dungeon Fantasy 8. Then mostly adlib and add in whatever might be interesting, of which traps are the best.
Then I like to think of any backstory or setting information I feel like exposing the PCs to, and incorporating it. This includes local nobles and notable people like priests and generals. I have the hardest times with names in my personal as well as gaming life. Figuring out the lore is my favorite part of the process.
Then I generally run it by the seat of my pants, and occasionally I throw in a random hook or point of interest to the PCs, of which I've been compiling a list.
For inspiration I generally read through random supplements and get ideas or just come up with them willy-nily. My favorite recently was a band of identical quintuplet dwarves, that run a trading company and were celebrating finalizing a deal. The PCs struck up a deal with them to help supply a local military expedition. Which is great on the part of my half. I had no idea they would think to do that. And now I'm going to make that deal incredibly useful to them.
>>
When are the new Dungeon Fantasy books supposed to come out? I am really stoked to have a physical well illustrated fantasy bestiary, even if it is smaller than its D&D equivalents.
>>
So I'm working on a method of quick chargen for infinite worlds so you could do something like show up to a game night at a FLGS with a quick infinite worlds one off planned and grab some randos and make characters quickly without having to rely on fully premade characters so players get a sense of the customization possible with GURPS. I'm making cards with templates on them, the players draw a given numbers of cards determined by the GM and try to reach a point limit set by the GM by selecting cards. The templates could be things like Dwarf, Gorilla, Knight, Police Officer, Buisnessman, Fire Breathing, Winged, or anything else you could think of.
Here's the card template I have so far tell me what you think.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zEVe6lKSg_C_KvC6EeV5s8a_PmgwyOTW9KTsWkEO0II/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>51757469
still nothing, help. It isn't really a catgirl article, it just covers it after talking about mechas or something like that, i need a rule on that article
>>
File: Adventuring Party.jpg (261KB, 866x602px) Image search: [Google]
Adventuring Party.jpg
261KB, 866x602px
I'm still struggling with Gloranthan magic for my conversion, and I need some input. I want to use a non-renewable resource to fuel spells, and I'm not sure how to balance the mechanism to allow players to "fill up" their stores.

Rune Points=
Layman: 1/2x Will
Initiate: 1x Will
Devotee: 2x Will

The factors are as follows:
Sacrifice (source) (2/4/6)
Ritual (source) (2/4/6)
Location (modifier) (+-1/+-2/+-3)
Time (modifier) (+-1/+-2/+-3)

A source is a provider of a variable number of Rune Points, the variability arising from the potency and the skill with which it is accomplished.

A modifier increases the generation of Rune Points, and decreases the casting cost of spells.
>>
>>51766222
Your card looks good. I'm not sure how much benefit it will be though. You still have to collect the contents of all the cards into one place (the character sheet). Still, it beats flipping through a book for the same information for a lot of people.
>>
>>51702978
>>51766348
>>>51765738
>GURPS 4e basic set.
>Dungeon fantasy for d&d.
>Low tech for medieval. You could add fantasy, and I'd add thaumatology and powers for sure. That should cover anything in a fantasy genre you might want to play.
>>
>>51766222
Oh. I like this idea
>>
>>51766639
All you gotta do is copy whats on the cards onto your character sheet, then it's just up to the GM to know what the advantages, disadvantages, and skills do.
>>
>>51766274
The "Strange Powers" issue talks about anthropomorphic weapons and stats some templates that are OBVIOUSLY inspired by Uppote, KanColle, and Strike Witches. Is that what you're looking for?
>>
Attributes have exponential cost increases, right?

So when you combine templates, if two different templates add to attributes you have to recalculate to value of the subsequent templates?
>>
>>51702978
If you wanted to break GURPS into discrete levels, D&D style, with point totals at each level, and limits on how much can be spent on various categories, and minimum/maximum values on different things, how would you break that down in GURPS?
>>
>>51767103
No, it's linear. DX 10 to DX 11 cost the same as DX 99 to DX 100.

Templates can be added in any order.
>>
>>51767150
What has an exponential price increase, again? Is it skills? I don't have the books in front of me, and have only I bit of GURPS XP.
>>
>>51767150
Or is it something that *used* to have exponential pricing, perhaps?

The only time I've gotten to *play* GURPS, the GM ran 3e because he had a book shelf of 3e books.
>>
>>51767210
>>51767218
Yes, it's skills.

If you gave out templates/lenses that increased skills, such as profession templates + cultural templates, and both increased a skill, any overlapping skills would not combine nicely at all, unfortunately.
>>
>>51767210
Skills aren't really exponential either, only up to 4, and then it's linear, like so: 1, 2, 4, 8, 12, etc.
>>
>>51767127
This is like the antithesis of GURPS.
>>
>>51767690
>Being able to get a decent gauge of power by "level" is antigurps.
I don't see why. Everything is still point buy.
>>
>>51767756
See
>limits on how much can be spent on various categories, and minimum/maximum values on different things
in the original post. It's not just a gauge.
>>
>>51767767
Without those limits you can't ensure characters are within a certain range of power and versatility, and can't gauge their expected power, or keep the characters in a somewhat close power range.
>>
>>51767654
That still prevents you from stacking templates that add to skills.
>>
>>51767127
If I were to do this, I'd go about definining my power levels... say...
[100] for adventurer, [150] for hero, [200] for myth, [250] for total badass, ect.

Then go about giving each one the following limits...
Magery level (because I like GURPS Magic, even though it kind of sucks)
Damage cap (dice an innate attack can do, weapons above this should be very hard to aquire)
Attribute/skill limits (probably not necessary)
Maximum points spent on... Okay, I almost always use Wildcard Powers (from GURPS Supers) in my campaigns, and have turned them into leveled advantages.

I wouldn't do things like giving attribute points, skill points, and advantage points though... I'm not sure if you were suggesting that as a thing.
I'm kind of tired.
>>
>>51767832
Yeah... it's pretty awkward.
But if you're designing templates, you can set them up to stack by giving them all [4] or higher adds onto skills or giving each of them large pools so that when picking skills they can just pick the different skills.

Also, races can give a racial skill bonus of a flat [2] per +1 like a single skill talent.
I think this was in Basic Set 2.
Or if they give multiple skills just make it an actual talent.
If you're allowing player made races, I suggest not using it.
>>
>>51767916
Wow my language is failing...
I would try to reword that but I'll likely make it more confusing.

If the templates have overlapping skills, you're supposed to add the points spent on the skills together and recalculate the skill level.
You may refund the player points for weird values down to one that makes sense, or even just refund one copy of the overlapping skill altogether.
>>
>>51767916
I probably would not do player designed races, but I can see myself using a lot of predesigned mix n match races, subraces, inherited-templates, class/cultures, environment, profession training packages, and acquired templates/lenses for things like "Witcher", "werewolf", "lich", "vampire" or whatever.

In a fantasy d&d cosmology game that might potentially look like (at the high end)

Dwarf (duergar) (devil blooded), noble duergar, underdark rural, alchemist, merchant, vampire.

In which case (8 templates), chances of overlap is likely.
>>
>>51767832
Just use the amount of points a template adds to skills. Worst case a player will be 3 points off of getting that skill to the next SL, rather then 4. In many cases the amount a template will add to non-background skills is in multiples of 4.
>>
>>51768108
Do you mean 5 points off (if in ranks of 4?)

Because they could be under by 5 points multiple times.

If you have 4 templates that stack a skill, say, +4 each (not super likely, but possible)

11(correct) + 11(16) + 11(16) +11(16) = 44(59). 15 points off.
>>
>>51767218
3rd edition had variable cost for attributes. Not exactly exponential, but they got more expensive the more you had.

>>51767127
That would be a pretty huge project and very dependent on genre.

As a rough starting point, I'd say each 'level' would be around 50 points, your maximum in each attribute would be something like 11+level, maximum in a skill maybe 8 points per level, advantages no more than 10 points per level each for mundane ones, 5 points per level for cinematic / exotic ones, two perks per level, a perk allows you to ignore these limits for one trait.
>>
>>51768215
Your math is still wrong
Point costs for gurps skills is
1 2 4 8 12 16...Etc
So if they had 4 points spent from two templates, they'd get 8 points spent total. No overlap.
>>
>>51761876
Thanks, anon!
>>
How work armor divisors with hardened, ablative and semi-ablative DR combinations?
>>
>>51771207
Hardened reduces armor divisors. The others work just like normal DR.
>>
>>51771207
>Armor divisor (2) hits hardened armor(1)
Divisor is reduced one step per step of hardened armor. 1 for 1 cancels, no divisor applies
>Ablative
Apply applicable divisors to DR. Do damage to target. Reduce DR by the amount of damage actually done
>Semi ablative
As above, but as per semi, reduce by 1/10
>>
>>51768215

With 4 templates putting 4 points each into a skill you'd have 16 points in and have the skill at Attribute + 2, 3, 4 or 5 depending on it's diffculty.
>>
>>51769298
4 points spent total.
What, assuming it's a +1 each time and they already have the first 2 skill ranks?

I said +4, since that's what the other guy mentioned. Getting 4 ranks in a skill costs 11 points, or 16 points, depending.
>>
>>51773983
So when you guys say multiples of 4, you're not talking about saying what you get from the template, you're talking about how many character points the template is putting in?

I mean, I guess you could do it that way, it doesn't really let you say "a *_______* is this much better than the average guy at *________*.

Though, it means giving characters part of a skill ranks, and it mean no template will ever result in you having less than 2.25 skill ranks.

Or do you mean:
>Give your bonuses and price as though all skills cost a flat 4 CP/rk?
If you do that it makes the first 2 ranks cost an extra 5 though, obviously.

I don't know what the best approach is, they all seem really kludgy to me.
>>
Are there any maps/floor plans for the inside of vehicles? Specifically a double-decker bus
>>
>>51774303
>Getting 4 ranks in a skill costs 11 points, or 16 points, depending.
Check your math bro. Read the skills section again. You should have things costing increments of 4.
>>
>>51775615
Four ranks from 0: 1+2+4+4=11
Four ranks from 1: 2+4+4+4= 14
Four ranksfrom 2 or higher: 4+4+4+4=16

Math checked.
>>
>>51775615
How the hell are you getting multiples of 4 when rank 1 costs 1 and rank 2 costs 2?
>>
File: untitled.png (46KB, 433x328px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
46KB, 433x328px
>>51775658

Check it again. Do it right this time.
>>
>>51775810
Okay.

I misread it. It doesn't level off at +4/to as that anon mentioned above.

1+2+4+8+... makes it even harder to stack templates....

Wait... Are those the "total costs", not the "cost for this rank"?

If that's what that table actually means:
So how do you make stackable templates?

Count the point investment from all your templates, subtract 4, divide by 4 to get ranks, and add 3 more ranks to that?
>>
>>51776134
Those are total cost, cost are linear.

The first rank in a skill cost 1 point, the second rank cost 1 point, the 3rd rank cost 2 points, then every rank after that cost 4 points.

Skills start at Attribute +0 with 1 rank for Easy to Attribute -3 for Very Hard skills.

To find the total SL, just count up the total number of points. If it's higher then 4, just divide by 4 to find the total bonus from your skill points. If you aren't at a number divisible by 4 you can either just accept the inefficiency or spend a few points from quirks or disadvantages to even it out.
>>
>>51776134
Dude, no. The point cost listed is the TOTAL POINTS INVESTED to reach that skill level, not what you need to pay. If you have an IQ/H skill at IQ+1 for 8 points, you don't need to pay 12 points to reach IQ+2, you need to pay 4 points to bring the TOTAL POINTS INVESTED to 12.
>>
>>51776274
>>51776295
I see.

So, (above 2 ranks) ranks=(points/4)+2
>>
>>51776573
That's still awkward to put in a template, but better than what I thought before.
>>
>>51776573
The way I remember it is
>Every 4 points is +1 to attribute for Average skills.
e.g. 12 points in Intimidation (Will/A) comes out to Will+3; conversely, if you want Stealth (DX/A) at DX+5, you need to invest +5*4 = 20 points in it.
>Easy skill are a further +1, Hard are -1, and Very Hard are -2.
e.g. 12 points in First Aid (IQ/E) comes out to IQ+4, and 12 points in Thaumatology (IQ/VH) comes out to IQ+1.
>One point in an Easy skill nets you Attribute+0, and every step up in difficulty = -1.
e.g 1 point each in First Aid (IQ/E), Electronics Operation (IQ/A), Chemistry (IQ/H), and Thaumatology (IQ/VH) comes out to IQ, IQ-1, IQ-2 and IQ-3.
>>
>>51762877
then piss off.

I'm the anon that asked the question and I prefer using tacticool maps because 1) in my experience, it can improve the flow of the game in some combat situations, especially ones involving complicated areas, 2) where range weapons are in use, and 3) when I don't expect my players to win on just bare stats.

But if it were a spontaneous combat moment, I would just play out combat without a map.

GURPS is a flexible system. There's some core rules that you would have to use in order for it to be "GURPS," but other than that, everything is optional. Shit, even some of the options considered mandatory, like hit location and disadvantages, are completely optional.
>>
>>51762937
gurps calculator has a trait sorter, though.
>>
>>51778133
>gurps calculator has a trait sorter, though.

No text though. It is better than the one SJG games has because of the page reference numbers.

The idea is being able to choose it as you go.
>>
>>51778704
you can just hit the download button and download it in a plain text format.
>>
>>51779067
Stop playing dumb. He is talking about traits description as in books.
>>
>>51779067
>you can just hit the download button and download it in a plain text format.

You're a bit dumb, ain't cha?

The trait sorter doesn't have the text, so you're going to be ref-ing the book as you go through every-fucking-thing.

And it doesn't print out the text so your players are going to have to ALSO ref the book.

OF's idea was, read the book, ticky box at will, get everything spit out at the end, not just the names of the traits.
>>
File: I'm retarded.gif (2MB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
I'm retarded.gif
2MB, 240x180px
>>51779190
>>51779196

I'm working under the assumption that producing material with full copy-pasta of the traits is against SJG's policy, and therefore would get taken down. But I forgot this was 4chan.
>>
>>51779668
People have seen the 4e offline cbuilder.

Of course that's what they want an equivalent to for every game.
>>
>>51779668
It will get taken down. But this is the internet. The internet is Hydra. Hail Hydra.
>>
>>51779897
GURPS CBuilder for characters and campaigns.

If this was a thing it would be amazing.
>>
>>51779668
...Have you ever clicked on the /gurpsgen/ OP 'pic'?

>>51779897
I haven't, unless you're talking about the offical program.

And yes, it would be fucking amazing
>>
>>51781612
I have. which is why I mentioned that I forgotten that this was 4chan.
>>
>>51781612
The offline cbuilder is the first builder WOTC made for 4e. The subsequent one was the shitty web based one.
>>
How many people can a single teacher teach?
>>
File: Class Size.png (548KB, 1418x980px) Image search: [Google]
Class Size.png
548KB, 1418x980px
>>51783692

Going by the rules in Social Engineering: Back to School, any number but with increasing penalties for larger groups. A class size of 11-15 would equate to rolling against Teaching+0.

Realistically, there's a limit to how many people can reasonably hear the teacher, see the blackboard, etc. but it's probably more than a realistic teacher can handle anyway.
>>
>>51784474
Thanks, i was looking at BS and couldn't find anything, thats why, it doesn't have rules for it.
>>
>>51783692
>>51784474
Many collage lectures aren't teaching, and would involve no skill roll. The information is presented but there's very little or no interaction between the teacher and students, the professor could have saved themselves time by recording the lecture, uploading it to Youtube and writing the URL on the blackboard. GURPS wise it's equal to studying a subject on your own.

Real one on one teaching is something where you can only do it with about 30 students at once, and only if you are willing to spend extra time one on one with students that have problems or ruthlessly drop/fail students that fall behind. 15 students is much more reasonable and allows you to help students that are having trouble or pair them with other students that are grasping the material well. This is about the instructor to student ratio you'd find in a responsible dojo or military training camp as well.
>>
Is GURPS suited for high powered X-Men tier campaigns? Has anyone here run an X-Men Campaign with it? How did it go?
>>
>>51785584
>'Can it do...'
Yes.
>'...superhero campaigns?'
Okay, maybe. It's all in the point values, to be honest. To emulate some superheroes out there you'd need more powers than you know what to do with, and some others don't really require way too many. What does 'high powered' mean to you, what specific x-men are your baseline here? Some of the stronger characters in x-men media can cost a lot, Jean Grey and Magneto jump to mind. Seen the last movie? On the other hand, some of the famous ones might not be that expensive, like Cyclops, just a very powerful 'kill anything' tight-beam burning attack, possibly, would be the extent of his power.
>>
File: still-in-charge.png (564KB, 600x509px) Image search: [Google]
still-in-charge.png
564KB, 600x509px
>>51785972
>Cyclops, just a very powerful 'kill anything' tight-beam burning attack
It's a BIT more powerful than that
>>
>>51785584
>>51785972

Yeah, the weird, hard thing with Superhero campaign for GURPS is that you're going to need really varying point levels to put them all on the same page, so to speak.

Honestly, I'd just interview people and make the power lenses for them, make it not count against their max points, and note the cost, but only charge them, like, 20-50 points, then let them finish up.
>>
>>51788444
It's also a little hard because you end up with some quite varied characters.

In an X-Men style game there's a mix of people with decent but human standard physical abilities with a single, or small set, of mutant powers. Then you've got people that go full Wolverine, with high physical abilities and mutant powers that focus heavily on survivability.

This can run into problems when you give something that can challenge Jubalie but your Wolverine will have no powers that can help, or simply won't be threatened at all or in any danger. Threats intended for your Wolverine have to be carefully kept away from your Jubaliee to keep from killing her.

It's not impossble though, and when it works can be a lot of fun
>>
Anyone know of any good one-shot pre-designed campaigns to print out and play in a single evening?

I have the basic books, so I wanna try GURPS out in a short small game before designing something myself. Scifi/Modern/20th century are preferred, but anything's fine.
>>
>>51790206
http://www.themook.net/gamegeekery/downloads/#con-one-shots
>>
>>51790230

Bookmarked, thanks anon. I just had to ask here cos I felt overwhelmed by all the material out there on GURPS.
>>
So I'm digging through High Tech and Ultratech and I find that the game supports depleted uranium ammo. UltraTech make mention that it's toxic, but I can't seem to find any mention of what the effects are for the heavy metal poisoning if you ingest/inhale it or are shot with such a round.
>>
>>51790970

Ultra Tech is wrong, then.
Because depleted uranium ammunition isn't significantly radioactive, and it's toxicity is only comparable to that of lead.
Lead poisoning from a gunshot is extremely rare, and can only happen if a significant amount of shrapnel is left inside your body and isn't likely to cause complications until years later.
Lead poisoning from ingestion is also extremely rare, because the human body doesn''t break down metallic lead very effectively, only absorb lead-rich chemical solutions.
Inhalation could potentially be a risk, since Uranium does burn relatively easily. I'm not sure if enough research has been done here, inhaling airborne uranium-particles and getting them stuck in your lungs for years is probably quite harmful.
>>
>>51791451

Thanks, I've been hearing 'Ultratech is wrong/bad' a lot, and I guess this is just another case of it.

Even in worst cases, Immunity to Depleted Uranium Poisoning is only a point feature.
>>
First time player here. How do I make a 1900 explorer using only 145/50?
>>
File: received_778761562290231.jpg (66KB, 660x904px) Image search: [Google]
received_778761562290231.jpg
66KB, 660x904px
>>51791842
forgot pic
>>
File: 1472873120785.jpg (223KB, 1333x1905px) Image search: [Google]
1472873120785.jpg
223KB, 1333x1905px
>>51791842
Dial yourself into TL6 equipment, and buy up appropriate skills and abilities. Assuming youre from the powerhouse of Brittania, consider a military background, alongside combat reflexes, a primary rifle skill, spear skill for your mounted bayonet, and a bit of good old fashioned boxing to round out the melee. Then buy rank, wealth, and the best equipment you can. Maybe a few charisma/leadership skills? Or an ally (african manservant)?
>>
>>51791842

IQ, DX and HT at 12 for 100 points
4 points in Guns (rifle), (shotgun) or even (pistol) depending on personal preference.
Luck, 15 points
Ally (slaveboy) to carry all your gear.
A few points in Wealth and/or Rank

The rest in adventurous skills, just 1-2 points each, 4 at most. Pick up at least one melee skill like knife, wrestling or brawling. If you're getting point-starved lower IQ to 11 and buy more skills, but don't skimp out on DX and HT as those attributes are vital for you.
>>
Can I release an Innate Attack from both my arms and legs or should it be limited to one limb only?
What I mean us can I shoot an energy blast with my foot?
>>
>>51792150
Also how much would a touch range instant knock out on hit Attribulation cost?
>>
Is Zen Archery worth it? Particularly, is Zen Archery worth it for a 300/-50 point Heroic Archer?
>>
>>51792150

An innate attack is either a beam, a breath, a gaze or a projectile.
A beam or a projectile requires at least one hand to be free (but it could be either hand, your 3rd or 4th hand if you have more, or your foot manipulator if you have monkey feet)
Breath requires your mouth to be free, and gaze requires unobstructed eyes.

>>51792209

Around 20-25 points per level.
>>
>>51792243
Yes.
>>
>>51792243

Personally I don't consider it worth it, it's situational as fuck and very expensive, your points are better spent just buying up Bow even higher and using successive Aim maneuvers instead, you get better close and mid range performance and your long range sniping capabilities aren't that much worse.
The only scenario where I'd consider it is if I have a decent IQ from elsewhere (maybe I'm a magic archer) and/or have a talent that applies to Zen archery.
>>
not >>51791701 but
>>51791451
anon, you can get uraniumpoised as easy as it is to get lead poisoned by being shot, you need to get shot a lot, like, tens of times, and its way easier to die after getting shot that many times.
The uranium bullets problem is the aftermatch for the local populance, as the hundreds of missed bullets will poison the soil, fuck up underground(and sometimes overground too) water sources, it will cancer the fuck out of kids on the next 30~50 years.
>>
>>51792420
What if I can't buy up more Bow because the GM set the skill limit to 25 max?
>>
>>51792466

I'm sure you could find something better to invest in, like an extra level of Luck or something. There are lots of skills like stealth, camouflage, etc. that are far more useful.

With a bow, your maximum range is only going to be around 300 yards, and the range penalty is entirely manageable. 25 skill + 4 Acc - 13 range penalty still leaves you with an effective skill of 16, high enough that you could reliably target a human's vitals at 300 yards, even if he's moving.
Alternatively, have a 50% chance of hitting a 7” SM-6 target.
>>
/tG/uys, guys.

Syntactic magic...Thu'um.
>>
Like always late for the party...

Does GURPS have any other setting generator than the one from Infinite Worlds?
>>
File: GURPS3rd.jpg (370KB, 1339x643px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS3rd.jpg
370KB, 1339x643px
>>51793254
There's always the old "pick three books at random, and run with it"
>>
>>51793761
I think we need a new sheet for it. That was a fun game.
>>
>>51793761
No, I need a quasi-historical generator similar to the one from IW. Thing is, the IW exists to represent historical development, while I need it for purely fantasy game.
>>
My character just died. He fought til the bitter end and landed at -71 HP. Thanks Berserk!
>>
>>51793955
Let me guess - you need to generate something that is not "Western" medieval and Roman/Chinese Antique?
As far as I know - tough luck
>>
>>51793955
>>51794160
Assuming this is the case and knowing how bad it's going to sound in GURPS General:
I suggest using different game for generation.
Due to bell curves and the way how tables are arranged, they will be always favouring a specific outcome, even if you will swap things around in the tables themselves. It will be more efficient to use random generator than GURPS one to achieve the goal of getting non-Western European fantasy out if this.
>>
>>51794258
>bell curves
Bruh, you can do 1d,1d instead of 2d or whatever.
That being said, I use AD&D's worldbuilding guide.
>>
>>51794160
Yeah, that's exactly my problem.
And I'm aware of the issue presented by this anon >>51794258 too, because simply changing the list or numerical value would still make one of options come out twice as often as anything else, and I would had to pick that option first anyway, making the idea of generator null and void

>>51794307
Original anon here, care to elaborate/where are the rules for it. I mean I know it's AD&D, but which book/which page/however ADD works.
>>
File: What difference does it make.jpg (25KB, 499x299px) Image search: [Google]
What difference does it make.jpg
25KB, 499x299px
>>51794307
>1d,1d instead of 2d or whateve
>>
>>51793955
See Pyramid 3-41.
>>
>>51794410
Thanks a bunch! Not exactly what I need, but still miles better than IW
>>
>>51794348
It had an entire book dedicated to it, and it covered everything from continents, climates, and coastlines to pantheons, populations, and political structure.
It's way too huge to post here, so here's a link I found https://dnd.rem.uz/Advanced%20D%26D%20%28unsorted%29/1st%20ed%20World%20Builder%27s%20Guidebook.pdf

>>51794380
2d sums the dice and results in a number from 2 to 12 clustered around 7; you have a 1.78% chance of rolling a 2 and a 16.67% chance of rolling a 7.
1d,1d instead keeps the rolls separate. I can't think of a good way to explain it so I'll just launch into an example.
>1,1 = 1st result on the table
>1,2 = 2nd result on the table
>1,3 = 3rd result on the table
>1,4 = 4th result on the table
>...
>6,5 = 35th result on the table
>6,6 = 36th result on the table.
With the table above, you have a straight 1/36 chance to roll any of the results; there is no bell curve or clustering of results. Of course, most tables don't need 36 entries, but there are other ways; for example, if you wanted a table with 18 entries and no bell curve, you could use the following:
>1-2,1 = 1st result on the table
>1-2,2 = 2nd result on the table
>...
>5-6,5 = 17th result on the table
>5-6,6 = 18th result on the table

Sorry if it doesn't make sense; I just got off a 10-hour shift and my brain's still in the OFF position.
>>
>>51794380
>2d
Roll two dice, table goes from 2-12. Bell curve means it's most likely to land on 6-8. 11 possible outcomes
>1d, 1d
Roll one die on a 1-6 table, each result corresponds to a separate table. Roll die for the new table. 36 possible outcomes

I think
>>
>>51794645
Thanks!
>>
>>51794645
Man, this, combined with that Pyramid issue makes a combination of what I've needed
>>
A few of my favorite GURPS moments from over the years:

A not!Viking character's vicious, knock-down, drag-out struggle-filled battle against a horse-sized talking white wolf, using a pick, after it killed his last character who was a mind flayer (the not!Viking warrior, who was a wall of meat, was a disciple of the mind flayer's organization/cult he decided to play as his follow-up character, in order to investigate the leader's death). Ended in grisly death for both parties, but a beautiful mildly heart-wrenching final breath scene.

A mesoamerican macuahuitl-using pygmy warrior, gifted with some powers from his unnatural god, got swallowed by a sea serpent and one of his friends dove into the sea after him, fighting it mano-a-mano underwater (while holding his breath) until one of the archers onboard their vessel managed to pierce the creature's eye and send it reeling long enough for the pygmy to climb out from its gullet, and assist his friend in slaying it. They mounted the head on their ship as a warning, and used its teeth as trophies and weapons.

An unbelievably tough/strong brute PC got his leg lopped off by a halberd, passed his stun checks, grabbed his own severed half-leg and chucked it at the offending party as he engaged another party member, smacking him right in the face with his boot heel from across the room and knocking him unconscious.

A ship captain losing his bearings and smashing his ship to splinters on some rocks. They wake up to find one of the party member's legs having been chewed off by giant carnivorous island lizards. A 'woodwhisperer' PC sings a piece of driftwood into a functional leg shape, then sings it into the guy's still-open flesh, causing him huge amounts of pain. But then he had a pretty swanky looking prosthetic he couldn't lose, so.
>>
>>51795115
The party was trapped on the roof of a building surrounded by intelligent hivemind zombies, using a huge wooly not!Oliphaunt to smash the two-story building over. In a daring move, they all decide to jump to the not!Oliphaunt, timing it as it smashes into the building which is very close to coming down. One of their long-time NPC companions fails the jump and falls into the crowd of zombies below.
One of the PC's had grown so attached to this NPC as a friend, he refused to let him be lost. So he ties a rope around his waist, has the other PC's on top of the Oliphaunt take the slack, and he jumps headlong down into the crowd. Slow-mo like spiderman, he flies down and the party successfully shortens the slack as he comes to a stop just above the NPC's motionless form, the crowd just feet away and closing in by the moment.
Anyway, he manages to snatch the NPC and get reeled up just as the not-zombies get there, a few narrowly missing grabs on him and his companion as they're pulled up.
Then they used the ropes and some ridiculous acrobatics to both fight off zombies climbing up the legs of the Oliphaunt, as well as tying a giant improvised harness around the Oliphaunt, basically using it as their getaway vehicle and stomping through the crowd of hundreds, then outpacing them and finally escaping.

On one occasion in a solo campaign, my brother managed to blow up an entire plane with a spell intended to save his world from a (successful) extraplanar invasion by calling into existence a creature of amazing power. It took just over a year of in-game time for him to even prep the energy necessary for the spell, along with the assistance of an entire nation's worth of forcibly conscripted/levied hedge wizards. As the city's walls were crumbling at the end of the year and the invading forces poured into their last remaining bastion, he harnessed the energy and cast the spell, botching the FUCK out of it.
>>
>>51795212
Anyway, his character ended up floating around in the aether along with a bunch of cindered ruins from his world, and a few other people close to the "singularity" at the time of his casting. Also, the creature he created lived, and he still doesn't know where it went or what it's really capable of.
Now all the gods blame him for being an idiot, and he's more or less constantly harassed by divine intervention whenever he plays that PC (who is semi-retired, but we bring back for gonzo one-shots since he's since become a world-hopper causing trouble all over the place).

I have a lot more moments, some sci-fi, some modern, some really fucking weird gonzo stuff, but I'll quit blathering unless people are curious for details about stuff I've mentioned or want to hear more.

tl;dr I love GURPS, it's been a consistently lovable and reliable RPG for me the last 15 years despite having played a bunch of other games out there.
>>
>>51795272
Those are good stories, anon. If you have anything else worth telling please do.
>>
>>51795374
Okay, a few more. Feel free to ask for an "exploded" telling of any of the individual scenarios, if any pique your interest.

A PC, who was basically a not!Ent/Dryad (with berries for eyes, a coconut-like head considered a delicacy by some less-civilized races, viny hair, and a body of wood; born through magic seed-planting and decade-long tree singing) got addicted to chocolate wine, which incidentally caused him to hallucinate. At one point he was left alone in town during a "beach episode", got unbelievably drunk/high after spending all his money at the local chocolatier, and went on a psychotropic-fuelled hallucinogen adventure through town.
At one point he was confronted by the police, who in that particular place wore wide-brimmed ricepaper hats with a little blue ribbon tied to the top, indicating their nature as peacekeepers. Anyway, they confronted him and asked him what he was doing and if he was okay. He proceeded to welcome them, who he referred to as "mushroom people" (due to the way their hats made them look) to watch the "blessed and wondrous moon" with him and "partake in the ecstasy of his chocolate wine".
The peacekeepers were so confused and taken aback that they simply left, content enough that he didn't seem to be committing any actual crimes (until later he was found "raiding" the window boxes of local nobles for their rich, tasty soils).
>>
>>51795678
Modern supers game. PC's were on a yacht they'd stolen, to take to a secret island where they'd discovered a villain was hiding out and taking people he'd kidnapped.
Anyway, they were beset by two armed gunboats and a bunch of mercenaries, who they discovered could regenerate. A long, pitched battle later (two boats set aflame with one sinking and one exploding, the third barely-functioning due to basically having a swiss-cheesed cabin from .50 cal machine guns and the entire party having to jump to it mid-battle), they take a couple of the remaining mercs prisoner (most of them, despite being more or less "unkillable", were basically gone; one was rocketed with shadow teleportation powers into the stratosphere, a few thrown to the depths of the ocean, several atomized via violent explosions and one bisected with a well-placed super punch from a high-tech super arm).
Anyway, one of the characters decided to torture them for information, and decided the best way to do that was to strip them naked (if I remember correctly there were either two or three mercs), break their limbs into horrific shapes, then pierce their bodies with rebar and twisting it at the ends so they would be forced into horrific pain as their bodies struggled to regenerate in their twisted, pretzel-like configurations (but couldn't because, of course, rebar).
To this day that player still can't tell me why he needed to strip them naked, though.
>>
>>51793993
Holy shit. Did you take their numbers down dramatically?
>>
>>51795785
Oh, and after he got what he felt was the most info he could get out of them, he tossed their still-pretzel'd bodies into the ocean to suffer in the depths forever. Pretty fucked.
>>
Anyway, I've got more-or-less a bottomless well of this kind of stuff, so feel free to ask for more stories in this /gurpsgen/ or the next if there's interest (I don't often post in these, but do monitor them in case I feel like there's help I can provide someone). Also, sorry for my shit typing skills; I'll try to proofread a little better in the future.

Future format for offerings would probably go something like:

>Characters with stories
then
>Paraphrased examples of their exploits

and
>Which would you like to hear about?

That way I can spend some decent time typing up what people feel like reading about.

Otherwise, just hope someone's got some mild enjoyment out of reading those tidbits above. Happy GURPS'ing everybody.
>>
>>51795798
Yeah... sorta

By the time I went berserk I was fighting this undead skelly that had armor on all his body except his forearms and his thighs. So I thought "Yeah I can attack his forearms and I'll eventually hit with a crippling blow." Well the undead obviously had good defenses and parried my blows except for one, which crippled his arm. A cultist (we were fighting cultists) then picked up the sword and handed it to the skeleton's other arm.

Then he stabbed me in the torso a few times and cut my neck once. We crippled both his arms. Then he poked my leg with his horn helmet and I died of my wounds. If that didn't kill me, the bleeding sure would have.
>>
>>51795914
What happened to the cultist which helped the undead get his sword back? I bit his face off.
>>
When running a magical & fantasy game, do you have damage types listed and presented before the game begins, such as for choosing damage resistances and attack types, or do you just keep adding more as the game goes on?
>>
>>51795914
Nice. Pity about the dying, but that sounds like it was a sufficiently big fight to get squashed to.
>>
>>51796058
I would just include a few of the main ones you are "featuring" as the most common or prevalent ones in a campaign, then add more as necessary for PC or NPC concepts.
Basically, include a few so players know what some of the more basic/common options are, then add more if/as they become relevant.

Sort of like you might with power modifiers. "Yeah, there's Chi, Divine, Magic and Psionic stuff in this world just so you guys know."
Then if someone comes up with a shapeshifter who taps into the power of his own mysterious biology for his abilities, just add "Biological" or whatever.
>>
>>51790206
Lair of the Fat Man
>>
>>51785972
Magik, Jean Grey, Scarlet Witch, and Magneto should all be doable, even if they're on the high end. It's want the option to have players that powerful, or not, ideally.

More likely the players would be on a similar power scale to Cannonball, Wolverine, Cable, Emma Frost, and Namor.

>>51788444
>Varying point totals
So then how do you make it work in the system?

Can you build "arrays" in GURPS like in m&m?
>>
>>51797601
http://www.ravensnpennies.com/2016/08/gamemasters-guidepost-building-player.html might be useful
>>
>>51797601
They're doable, yes, that was not my warning. Anything that requires very high point values for PCs will be impractical to the point of frustration. Maybe one of your players gets to fit his powers into the nice little 1000 point package that you provide, I'm guessing some super might be in this ballpark, but those that need less will quickly find themselves overwhelmed or having to attribute a higher competency than envisioned, even if your powers require an expensive 800 points, a 'mere' 200 points of excess can let you be an incredible marksman or exceed peak human strength by a wide margin, or having to start throwing in unrelated or niche powers. A solution was mentioned, and is to have players simply have unequal point values according to what they want to play, but considering that point values represent a general measure of weight within the game's mechanics and narrative, eventually this will also be frustrating to one or more players. Not to mention that this doesn't solve how impractical point assignation is with that large a budget, even if only a few will suffer from this. Ultimately toning down the power and expectations of the game is the best solution, like you say, and with this bringing down the point values.

GURPS isn't a bad superhero system, I think, it's just that superhero teams are not composed of uniform power levels, this brings in expectations into any superhero system that are hard to meet.
>>
What is the best (combination) of (did) advantages to make someone extremely forgettable? In other words, almost completely incognito.

Like, the character goes up to, shakes hands with and greets an npc then leaves.
And npc would immediately forget who the character was or what they looked/soumded like.
>>
>>51797601
>So then how do you make it work in the system?

Agreement, or as D&D puts it, party balance--which can depend more on situation design.

Like the party in Basic Set. C31R07 is more than 6 times the point total of the other iconc characters.

C31R07 can't do what the professor or Dai can do, and none of the others can do what C31R07 can do when an army comes down on them.

Batman and Superman are in the same tier, Batman is probably a much cheaper character though. Yet, there's no problem in running an adventure for the two of them if you design it well.

>Can you build "arrays" in GURPS like in m&m?

Hm...If I understand arrays properly? Alternative abilities, modular abilities. A few advantages for modelling something, using Link, and Selectivity. Especially while using Innate Attack fuckery.
>>
>>51798375

Huh, you know, I don't actually know? I think a few perks and you should be good, though.
>>
File: Capture.png (31KB, 445x189px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
31KB, 445x189px
>>51798375
I dunno if there is anything more drastic.
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.