[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 476
Thread images: 13

File: edgeadin.jpg (56KB, 600x799px) Image search: [Google]
edgeadin.jpg
56KB, 600x799px
> New Unearthed Arcana: Sorcerer
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/26_UASorcererUA020617s.pdf
> Don't forget to fill out the survey for Rangers and Rogues.
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/88d00d488e70

> Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

> Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

> /5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

> 5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

> Previous thread
>>51690950

How do you build your major villains? Not necessarily your BBEGs, but villains who will play major roles in your campaigns?

I am working on a five part campaign. The first four parts will be centered around four major villains, each of which is extremely influential or disruptive to the large Lankhmar-esque city in which most of the game is set. I'm in love with Paladins of any kind, and am using dark/evil/not good paladins as the base, with Treachery, Conquest, Oathbreaker, and either Ancients or Vengeance as inspiration for the NPC statblocks.
>>
Do we have a confirmation about Warlock UA? It comes out tomorrow right?
>>
>>51702255
I mean, at this point we're waiting on Warlock, Wizard, Fighter, and... That's about it, isn't it? I haven't been paying attention to release order, but if it's alphabetic, then Warlock SHOULD be next.
>>
>>51702299
We got fighter man.

Arcane Archer, Knight, Samurai and Sharpshooter. Don't come up much because none are really good.
>>
>>51702217
>Lankhmar-esque
>Paladins

Poor bastards.
>>
Can someone explain Spell Bombardment to me in simple terms?
>>
What's the best Cleric Domains? I've never really played a Cleric and I'm wondering if there's any that jump out ahead of the rest.
>>
Whats the worst curse a player could receive that a simple 3rd level Remove Curse can't deal with?

except for that dm
>>
>>51702412
Most of them are good, it all depends on what you hope to do as a cleric.
Case in point, the cleric player in my campaign probably should've picked War as he keeps trying to be a martial despite being a life cleric. Hitting the front lines, casting spiritual weapons, NOT using bless or guidance....
>>
>>51702403
If you cast firebolt, rolling 4d10, and you roll a 5, a 3, a 4, and a 10, the 10 allows you to roll an extra die and add it to the roll. If you had rolled two tens, you would get a number of extra dice equal to the 10s you rolled.
I'm not sure whether or not the additional dice count towards more d10s, to be honest, though.
>>
>Thunder Brand Warhammer
>When you hit with an attack using this magic warhammer, the target takes an extra 1d6 thunder damage.
>If you hit the same creature at least twice on your turn, it must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw or become stunned until the end of your next turn. If you rolled a 20 in any of those attacks, the DC becomes 15 and the creature is deafened for 1 minute.

How's this? Intended for a paladin, at level 8 or 9.
>>
>>51702557
Sounds good, as long as the encounters are an appropriate challenge level.
>>
>>51702403
It's a bit shitty. Essentially, if you roll the maximum number on any damage dice for a spell, you get to roll 1 more dice and add it to the total damage.

>>51702462
Why would you have a curse that can't be removed with Remove Curse? What's the justification for it not working?

Off the top of my head, the curse from the deck of many things' card Euryale is one example. "Only a god or the magic of The Fates card can end this curse."
>>
What's cooler, Kobold Gunsmith Artificer or Yuan-Ti Dragon (Poison) Sorcerer?

I know that neither are really powerful but they're both ideas I like.
>>
>>51702682
I like the Yuan-Ti idea better but I tend to really dig snakemen in general.
>>
>>51702698
Same. Snakemen are awesome.

Forgot to ask with it though, I know there's not enough Poison spells but are there any really good ones?
>>
One of my players wants to roll up an alchemist from the UA... How decent and balanced is it? I'm always hesitant in regards to UA stuff.
(he also wants to know how decently it can work with a primary focus on healing)
>>
>>51702315
Oh shit. I forgot since they were so insignificant.

>>51702329
The city is Lankhmar-esque in that I wanted to take a lot of inspiration from actual sword/sorcery and have the same kind of massive port city for the campaign to take place in. I wanted the general mundane things to feel grounded in the city with some over the top swordplay and magic stuff going on.

This is the campaign I'm thinking about testing gestalt out in for my players.

As for the "Paladins," the main themes for them are going to be their ability to use resources that aren't themselves to chase their goals and harass the players. They are also going to be somewhat loosely modeled after the Four Horsemen, though not so much in the way that they are going to be signaling the apocalypse or bringing in a dark god or something. I believe I'm going to have Conquest as the Red Horseman (War) and Oathbreaker as the Pale Horseman (Death), but am unsure about which oaths to use for the White Horseman and Black Horseman. I've talked to a friend and been told Vengeance should be the Black Horseman (Plague), but this doesn't quite feel right to me.

Some of their powers will be inspired by the Paladin Oath they are based on, but I am not building player character profiles for them. For example, whichever one Treachery turns out to be will definitely make judicious use of the Channel Divinity - Illusory clone thing, except with the ability to vocalize and taunt the party while he's further away.

Does anyone have any input on the White and Black Horseman and which Oaths to use for them? I'm looking at the tenets of the oaths, their abilities, as well as the general feel about them.

I have a bit of a Paladin fetish, I'll admit, and will likely make the pre-Horseman and post-Horseman major characters/antagonists/etc also Paladins. One of them will definitely be a Crown-inspired dude, while the other might be Devotion who descends into insanity.
>>
I haven't played a sorcerer since when 5e first came out and last weeks releases still have me unimpressed.

What went wrong with Sorcerers, Way of the Four Elements Monks, and Bladelocks and how could you possibly fix them?
>>
>>>51690950
Yes, because you can be a fucking dread pirate who trolls his foes and then when they scurry off he can whip out a fucking HAND HELD ARTILLERY PIECE and blow their shit to kingdom come.

All while being stylish.
>>
>>51702771
Sorcerers can't be fixed, they need to be redone.
There is far too much planning involved in what should be a very freeflowing class.
>>
>>51702745
The Alchemist path Artificer is entirely balanced in my opinion. It's ok at healing (has cure wounds), but progresses slower than a Life Cleric for spells. Its healing feature (the healing draught) scales alright, a bit like an accelerated cantrip, but only works once per target per long rest. If you're doing more than one encounter per long rest, it will by no means be overpowered.

Alchemist brings more variable utility as it levels, but none of it is particularly stand-out as better than what anyone else can do. An interesting thing you can do is put a Cure Wounds into an item at 4th level (with Infuse Magic) and then the other characters can use their actions to be healed by you.

I suggest using one of the homebrew fixes to Artificer which makes the companion actually progress with you, however, and replaces the FREE MAGIC ITEMS!!! with other crafting stuff that feels quite a bit better. I cannot for the life of me find it myself, but it's out there.
>>
Would a frost giant camp use a fire? Or would they prefer to be cold and take advantage of their low-light vision?
>>
>>51702899
>Would a frost giant camp use a fire?
HAHAHA
NO.
>>
>>51702899
>In combat, frost giants will hurl rocks and then close in with battleaxes. They are immune to cold, but particularly vulnerable to fire, and have low-light vision. Their power visual senses extend into a higher end of the visible spectrum, allowing them to see more easily through snow and blizzards than other creatures. They will take prisoners if possible.

You tell me.
>>
>>51702935
>>51702927
Do they cook their food? I feel like they would.
>>
>>51702954
That'd involve increasing the temperature, and that shit is far too maug.
Frost giants are cave men without fire. Cave men with access to nearby villages who have actual technology, free for raiding.
>>
>>51702954
Maybe they bribe a Remorhaz?
>>
>>51702954
According to old D&D monster encyclopedias I had as a kid, frost giants frequently start shit with white dragons and kill them to eat. Sounds ridiculous but when you're immune to its breath weapon and are big enough to grapple it, a few frost giants are going to stomp the shit out of a white dragon.
>>
>>51702620
I was curious if there were curses not trivialized by Remove Curse. Since it looks to be quite accessible compared to the curses. Thanks for the deck suggestion!
>>
>>51702749
>I believe I'm going to have Conquest as the Red Horseman (War)
You do realize that one of the horseman for the book of Revelations is in fact Conquest? Pestilence was made up by popular culture.
>>
>>51702620
>>51702532

Do you get to add bonus dice for each maximum roll (of the base dice of the spell), or just one of them?
>>
>>51702771
Double sorcery points given by level as a bandaid if your game isn't going beyond 10ish. Sorcerer is worthless compared to a wizard at every tier but it really stands out in early game.
>>
>>51703048
Each maximum roll of the base dice of the spell. I don't know if the extra dice count towards additional extra dice, though.
>>
>>51703047
I realize this, but the Oath of Conquest felt more War-like to me.

I COULD have Conquest as the White Horseman. I won't deny that. However, I think that Pestilence/Plague is more iconic in the current day (as you say, made up by popular culture).

That would make most of the rest of this pretty easy, however. I would put Vengeance as the Red Horseman (War) and Treachery as the Black Horseman (Famine).
>>
File: dnd Bael_Turath.jpg (108KB, 943x600px) Image search: [Google]
dnd Bael_Turath.jpg
108KB, 943x600px
I recall reading some lore that stated that Bael Turath the first tiefling empire was eventually dragged off and transported to the nine hells.

But alas, I cannot find any references. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
>>
>>51703004
But then how do they forge their weapons? Or make the tar necessary to ship-building? I feel like there are major aspects to frost giant society that collapse without fire.

Like they can raid just fine, but they aren't going to find appropriately sized weapons doing that. Plus they aren't the types to make slaves of their victims, that seems more like a fire giant thing.
>>
>>51703144
Nope.

Although each major city in Bael Turath allegedly had huge gaping holes in them that led down into the Nine Hells, and pretty much every major wizard that lived that had a pact/sold his soul to someone/something in the Nine Hells, so it's not too weird. Bane himself was a big fan. It makes more sense that everyone just ran down into the hells when BT got blown the fuck out during the Spellplague.
>>
>>51703155
>but then how do they forge their weapons? Or make the tar necessary to ship-building?
I quote the volo
>Frost giant society has no industry to speak of. It takes what it needs from others, and if it can't take something, it has no need for it.
>Rod plunder consists of living creatures, either livestock or slaves.
>Kvit refers to material goods, the most prized being objects of steel, alcohol and large gems.
>The fire-forged items of steel and iron that they wield and wear are prized as though they were made of gold.
>>
>>51703155
Are you just making up headcanon now because you're bored? All the monster manual entries have explicitly covered that frost giants generally make their weapons out of entire fucking trees and steal a lot of their shit. They also fucking love slaves.

I don't recall them being sailors by any means, because they live in fucking tundra and mountains.
>>
>>51702857
Do you know where one of the good fixes would be? I remember seeing people working on one on here a few weeks back but it's late and I'm having trouble finding it.
>>
>>51703185
I think that they are conflating viking/NORD memes with ice giants.
>>
>>51703105
If you want to use Pestilence then I would suggest using Oath of Treachery but subbing out some of the Oath spells with more on-flavor things like Ray of Sickness, Blight and Contagion
>>
>>51703198
>>51703185
I'm going off what's in Storm King's Thunder, which prominently features frost giants using gigantic long boats to raid along the sword coast. In that adventure they talk about how the fire giants are unique because they take slaves. I'm not trying to use headcannon for any of this, I'm just trying to figure out how frost giants work a little bit before my players encounter them.

>>51703182
So their weapons are hodgepodge? That just seems really strange to me for some reason. In SKT they make a big deal about how the frost giants are recovering the old frost giant lodges and repairing them and gearing up for war. I just wouldn't figure that they would be able to fashion giant axes from salvaged goods without reforging them. But if it's supported in the books....
>>
>>51703174
Thanks for the info!
>>
For those of you that ran/played OotA, how was the month of surface time handled? Did you just narrate over it or did you have the players actually do things? Did any players say nope fuck that to the invite back? If so what did you do?
>>
>>51703251
> In SKT they make a big deal about how the frost giants are recovering the old frost giant lodges and repairing them and gearing up for war.
They do this by pillaging resources. With boats they found. They never make anything themselves, they just take.
>>
>>51703206
Ah, yes, of course. I mentioned that I would be basing the NPC stat blocks on the Oaths and the characters themselves, but not completely lifting them. Of course I'd be doing that.

After talking to a friend of mine on Discord, I've realized that I should probably just go with Conquest, Vengeance, Treachery, and Oathbreaker in that order.

A rough idea of the storyline behind them being relevant would be
>White returns to the city with their victorious army, bringing riches from conquest as well as their vicious veteran military force
>Conquest/White begins to destabilize the city as too many soldiers, refugees/slaves, foreign powers, riches without material backing or food or whatever to support them flow in
>Players deal with Conquest itself, but now the army and all the things that White brought are present and ruining stuff
>Red/Vengeance steps up to take control of some of the factions, or perhaps playing them both as tensions run high
>At the same time, Black/Treachery begins to undermine the city's infrastructure through underworld connections and deceit, abusing the issues that arise from War doing his shit within the city
>Even as/if players deal with Red and Black, the results lead to the emergence of Pale/Oathbreaker
>A dark force begins to emerge from the conflict and the dead begin to rise; fiends show themselves
>If/when Pale/Oathbreaker/Death is dealt with, the players then feel obligated as the HEROES or something (up to them) to hopefully rebuild or reunify, perhaps with themselves as the new leaders

I would absolutely LOVE for one of the players to be a Devotion or Crown Paladin (or maybe even have a Devotion, Crown, Fae, and Vengeance, but for good, Paladin party).

That's just a rough outline with no nuance that I wrote for this post alone. It wouldn't be quite that bad or linear.
>>
>>51703251
Keep in mind there's nothing preventing frost giants from stealing from OTHER giants, who *do* have appropriately sized weapons, which is why other giants fuckin' hate frost giants.
>>
>>51703274
We largely narrated over it and two characters noped out (dropped from the group due to either lack of interest or graduation) and I almost did (it was in character, to go was almost suicide but to not go was even more so especially as an exiled Drow).
>>
>>51703070
The RAW says "choose one of those dice," which led to my confusion.
>>
>>51703379
I'm pretty sure the "those" refers to the original dice that landed on maximums, but it's vague enough about the extra dice that I could see how someone could interpret that they might be included.
>>
Just google "exploding dice" because that's what the mechanic is
>>
File: 1484340470855.jpg (29KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1484340470855.jpg
29KB, 500x375px
How does your group handle Initiative and combat? Grid? Hex? Description?
Are there any particularly useful houserules you use?
>>
>>51702857
Yeah but it's like. Good armor proficiencies, can do all sorts of damage that higher level creatures are less immune to, for free, never needs to do any management of ressources unless the bag is stolen... I still have my doubts about it.
>>
>>51703519
Standard initiative, grid combat. No houserules, but that comes with running AL.
>>
>>51703519
>Initiative
Standard initiative, with the players making/managing our own initiative list so the GM doesn't have to make two.

>Combat
Theater of the mind.
It sucks, I hate it.

>Houserules
Death saving throws are made in secret.
>>
So how evil can a paladin be and how would it be represented?
>>
>>51703625
>Houserules
>Death saving throws are made in secret.

This shits on pretty much every form of reroll ability/feat/skill that require the players to see the roll to decide if they want to add to it or reroll
>>
>>51703671
I think anon meant secret from other players, so people can't come help you because they know you're one saving throw from dying.
>>
>>51703668
As evil as you want him to be. However you want it to be represented.

This isn't 3.5. You can't "Fall" anymore, and your powers aren't explicitly handed out to you by a nanny-state God that will cut off the source if he doesn't like your behavior.

5E is fully in the realm of "feelgood" for player responsibility. You'll notice the changes all over. Even familiars aren't real creatures anymore - they're spirits that can reassemble if they get "killed" so you don't feel bad that your toad got squished.
>>
>>51703686
That also defeats the purpose of pretty much anyone with Healing Word, Spare the Dying, etc.

5E is just not the right system for this kind of shit.
>>
>>51703712
I think it could improve combat a lot, since you don't know whether the person who's down is perfectly okay or on the edge of death. Instead of delaying healing actions to focus on other things, they have to decide how much to risk a character dying.
>>
>>51703712
>That also defeats the purpose of pretty much anyone with Healing Word, Spare the Dying, etc.
How does it defeat the purpose of either of those spells?
>>
>>51703730
Mathematically, healing in combat is a losing game.

It's almost always the better action to end combat by destroying/disabling the enemy. Healing Word is the exception because it's a bonus action.
>>
>>51703744
>Todd stabilized; it makes more sense for us to kill the monster than run over to Todd to stabilize him
>Todd did not stabilize, we better go help him
>We don't know if Todd did or did not stabilize, despite knowing other bizarre esoteric things like how much damage my sword does to someone, how much "HP" I have and the numerical value of my Constitution

The spells are resources to be spent when you need them, and thus, know you need them. It's not a coin toss.

"lol nice job retard you used Spare the Dying but he was already stable and it did nothing"
>>
>>51703668
On a scale of 0 to 10, 0.

It is up to you, your DM, and your oath to determine what is considered "evil" and what is not.

For instance, my Paladin regularly ordered mass executions of war prisoners on the charge of heathenous dragon worship, while offering them a one-time chance of renouncing their faith to absolve them and receive the execution of beheading instead of being burned at the stake as a heretic. Still not evil, since they were an orcish horde marching on the kingdoms of men and butchering everything in their path, so when we go Deus Vult not many people batted an eye when we started burning orc cities to the ground.

You just need to determine ahead of time what your god considers to be evil. If you want to be a goody two shoes giving all your money to charity and saving orphans, fine, and if you want to full Deus Vult and leave a trail of heretical blood in your wake wherever you go, that works too, just clear it with your DM as to what you are going for, why, and how. If he's worth a shit he will help you fit your style into his setting so you can crusade to your heart's content.
>>
I've been idly thinking about putting a together a campaign with a polynesian/micronesian theme to it, but I've never run a campaign in that style (...or at all).

Have any of you? Do you have any suggestions?
>>
>>51703809
D&D 5th Edition thus far, aside from a few classes and monsters, runs heavily on a western european fantasy theme, so it's a bit hard to refluff that into other cultural settings.
They still haven't even added lung dragons back into the mix.
>>
>>51703809
>Do you have any suggestions?

Don't.
>>
>>51703791
Oh, no, if the character stabilizes or dies then it's announced to the party, barring some sort of unusual circumstance. It's just a little tweak to turn "lol he's fine for another two rounds at least, watch me fuck this goblin up in the meantime" into "SOMEONE FUCKING HELP HIM ALREADY." Metagaming death saving throws is just way too easy, every group seems to fall into it at some point otherwise
>>
>>51703791
>>We don't know if Todd did or did not stabilize, despite knowing other bizarre esoteric things like how much damage my sword does to someone, how much "HP" I have and the numerical value of my Constitution
I'll admit that stuff makes it feel more game-y, but a person would know roughly where they stand in such things from 'healthy' to 'almost dead' or 'solid hit' vs 'glancing blow.'

In a real scenario you wouldn't be sure whether the unconscious ally is dying or stabilized so you have to make the call between ensuring their survival or dealing with a threat. Sometimes you will make a bad call.
>>
>>51703883
I only think it's fair if the players know about this rule prior to chargen, because it makes Healing Word a million times more useful and makes other things less ideal. I'd never bother wasting time or money on the Medicine skill or healer kit for stabilizing, since it's a secret.
>>
What's the most overpowered combat class in this edition and what contributes to it's power?
>>
File: 1468628015894.jpg (1MB, 1000x1486px) Image search: [Google]
1468628015894.jpg
1MB, 1000x1486px
I'm actually a little sick of Sorcerer's getting their power from having a slut and/or Bard (you know the type) as an ancestor. I'm tired of bloodlines as their origins.

Why can't Sorcerers just BE? Like, why can't it just be a Gift, or a Talent, or a quirk of the cosmos? Why can't Sorcerers be natural mages who just need a particular focus/specialization to make it work? Or maybe they get their power from nebulous and strange sources? Or the fucking Force? Why do we have to fall back on something that Pathfinder came up with? Why can't we do something fucking different for once?
>>
>>51703998
Paladin. Smite. Lay on Hands. Aura.
>>
File: 39c1bc061aa909fa46f51873c26aeaec.jpg (397KB, 2880x1800px) Image search: [Google]
39c1bc061aa909fa46f51873c26aeaec.jpg
397KB, 2880x1800px
aight, 5eg, rate my collection of houserules:

Greyhawk and Norse Pantheons are allowed.

A year has 12 months of 4 weeks of 10 days.

Traveling is done in 24 hour days of 6 4 hour watches.

While traveling, 1 watch of rest = 1 short rest. 6 watches of rest = 1 long rest

During any short rest, if you spend one use of a healer’s kit, you can help an ally regain 1HD of hp without spending any HD. (Medicine DC 15 to heal a 2nd HD)

Druids get druidcraft at level one. This does not count against known cantrips.

The holy water ritual described on PHB 152 takes only 15gp worth of silver powder.

Mounts can carry a rider, but can only carry gear if they have saddlebags or a pack saddle. See Items for details on saddlebags. A pack saddle is the same cost as a normal saddle, and allows a mount to carry up to its maximum capacity, and are only available for Large creatures.

Encumbrance (Non-Optional)
>Over ½ max → encumbered
>>½ max → 7lbs/point Str
>80% max → heavily encumbered
>>80% max → 12lbs/point str
>Max → heavily encumbered + 1 Lvl exhaustion/watch of movement

Crits and fumbles: Dropbox/D&D/5e Criticals and Fumbles. (tables I found online)
When PCs crit, roll on table. When NPCs crit, just double dice.
Without access to that specific file, different rules apply:
For fumbles, roll the 20 again. If you roll below your level, fumble is negated.
For crits, roll the 20 again. If you roll below your level, deal max damage + two damage rolls. If not, deal max damage + one roll.

No flanking. Gang up instead → 4:1.

For skill rolls, a nat 20 is treated as a roll of 22 and a nat 1 is treated as a roll of 0.
>>
>>51704030
Don't both Wild Magic and Storm origins mention that you might have just been bitten by a radioactive wizard or born under a particularly fierce storm, instead of having it in your blood?
>>
>>51704030
Wild.
>Your innate magic comes from the w ild forces of chaos that underlie the order o f creation. You might have endured exposure to some form o f raw magic, perhaps through a planar portal leading to Limbo, the Elemental Planes, or the mysterious Far Realm. Perhaps you were blessed by a powerful fey creature or marked by a demon. Or your magic could be a fluke o f your birth, with no apparent cause or reason.
>>
>>51704045
>>51704051
I really don't count Wild since it's basically unplayable in anything resembling a serious game, and usually gets used in less serious games. At least right up until the entire party gets immolated when that Enhance Ability spell turns into a Fireball centered on the party.
>>
>>51704082
Then change that outcome if you hate it so much. Make it so you spray some level of Burning Hands in a random d8 direction.
>>
>>51704106
Not even the point of my original argument. I just want some discussion about changing Sorcerers to make them fresh.
>>
>>51702771
Bladelocks just need:
>Free thirsting blade at level 5
>A utility option invocation, like being able to summon your pact weapon as something from the tool list and getting free proficiency with it while it's equipped

Then they'd be fine.
>>
>>51703809
Copy Final Fantasy X.
>>
>>51704144
Sorcerers are garbage and only existed to serve as an alternative for people that were

A) Too dumb to plan their spells and wanted the "flexibility" to have less spells on demand
B) Afraid of overzealous DM's stealing their spellbook as a wizard
C) Wanting "muh internal power" wanking

If 5E had come out and there was simply no sorcerer, I doubt most people would have even given a fuck. In fact, if they had scrapped the class entirely and made Warlock a little better, it'd probably have been the wiser choice.
>>
>>51704346
>Wanting "muh internal power" wanking
Eh. Internal Power is a legit fantasy trope. Something in the system should cover it.

>scrapped the class entirely and made Warlock a little better
stopicanonlygetsoerect.jpg
>>
>>51704346
Honestly I think Warlock's a terrible class. The flavor feels very narrow and I personally would never want to play one.

Internal Power's been around forever though, and Sorcerers have been around in d&d for a while. You can't just scrap them.

I truly believe all the Sorcerer needs to be an acceptable power level's more spells and gain all metamagic.

Makes them the versatile caster they're meant to be.
>>
>>51704403
Warlocks are fucking awesome and oozing with flavor. The only thing holding them back is their narrow skillset that restrains them into being one trick ponies.

I get it; WotC was afraid of giving them too many options because players would have busted that asshole wide open to scoop out the sweet powergame goo from inside, but still.

The problem with making Sorcerers good is that there's no way to do it without making them Wizards, at which point, there's no reason to play a Wizard over a Sorcerer if you're gonna get metamagic for free. And the shit that sorcerer could have gotten (unlimited castings of lesser spells, multiple abilities active simultaneously, etc) are now in the domain of the warlock.
>>
>>51704403
>>51704425
Also Bards are just better sorcerers now.

>full casters
>can crib from other casting lists (fuck off Valor bards, Lore is the master race)
>gets armor and weapon proficiencies
>gets actual good skills
>still casting with Cha

But yeah sure you can have some metamagic or whatever.
>>
Sorcerers use their HP to cast spells.

Thoughts?
>>
>>51704463
I think sorcerer's turning their HP into sorcery points is in a thousand shit homebrews and it's a cool idea. Wizards should do something like that.
>>
>>51703840
Why not?

>>51703831
Would it be that big a deal if I just come up with some basic cultures and a relatively simple plot focused around exploring uncharted islands, or trying to band them all together against a common foe?
>>
>>51704463
Either terrible
>high level spells cost too much HP to cast to be reasonable

Or broken
>heal yourself with spells to have HP to cast more spells, allowing infinite casting
>>
>>51704478
Your players are just going to assume you're some fag that watched Moana too many times and meme you to death.

Also classes are going to make even less sense unless you browbeat the players into submission for session 0.

>I want to play a platemail wearing Paladin of the Crown who defends his city state
>Oh sorry this is set on an island of tribal people shooting darts at each other and worshipping thunder birds
>>
>>51704403
>warlock
>terrible class
>narrow flavor

It's a little underpowered compared to wizard, sure, but there's plenty you can do with it. Especially in multiclasses.
>>
File: Barbarian.jpg (135KB, 1024x666px) Image search: [Google]
Barbarian.jpg
135KB, 1024x666px
>>51704507
>Moana
Honestly this was the first thing that came to mind for me

It's unfortunate but people are going to relate a campaign setting with whatever's relevant in pop culture at the time.
>>
>>51704518
Actually the one thing I like about it is multiclass.

Feels very on flavor that it gives most people a huge boost in exchange for making a deal with another entity.
>>
>>51702516
That's not an issue being War domain would solve. Life clerics belong on the front line.
>>
>>51704646
>Life clerics who have no martial proficiencies belong on the front line
>War clerics who do, will not solve the problem

I see.
>>
>>51704539
>>51704507
That's too bad. I actually lived in the Northern Marianas Islands for a few years which is why I wanted to do it.
>>
>>51704753
Forgot to continue. What about a Caribbean feel? Like a Haitian, Jamaican, ex-colonial independent island states trying desperately to hold on to what civilization they have under threat of piracy, raids from other islands, internal strife, jungle rebels, etc.
>>
>>51704488
But if the cleric is just healing the sorcerer, then everyone will die.
>>
>>51704767
Uhh... why the fuck are you using 5E D&D for this?

It's like you want to shoehorn real life cultural examples into a system that is mechanically unsupportive of them. These cultures would not exist or progress into the "feel" that you want because of how strongly magic and monsters permeate everything.

Like you can do it if you want, but it basically entails scrapping the base classes entirely except for maybe Barbarian and Sorcerer.

I'd just play something different. When most people sign up to play D&D they're not expecting to get into Jamaican jungle rebel Mount Zion : with Dragons
>>
>>51704807
>everyone will die without the cleric

Gee, my clericless-party that's been doing just fine is sure embarrassed. What would we ever do without a cleric?

Also the original post never said anything about a cleric. You could just take Magic Initiate and grab healing spells to heal yourself.
>>
>>51704826
Colonies are a logical step from medieval pseudo-Europe.
>>
>>51704843
I just meant it as an example.

Magic Initiate? So, one cure wounds?
Hardly broken.
>>
>>51704707
Life clerics DO belong on the front line, it's why their domain powers equate to more healing, being tankier, and healing yourself. They also have Divine Strike for one of the best damage types, so an identically built Life vs War cleric will
>do less damage with an attack by ~1
>have equal HP/AC
>heal himself and other "frontliners" for more
>be much worse at fighting at before access to spiritual weapon
>be on par after, but using spell slots when war has 3-5 rounds they can skip using Spiritual Weapon

War is definitely the better pseudo-fighter, but Life is equally a frontliner
>>
>>51704488
Part of the issue at hand is the Spellcasting feature. It has an explicit definition, and is the only reason multiclassing spellcasters function as they do.
>>
>>51704854
Not when people inside the city-state develop REALITY WARPING MAGIC.

>I could go try to set up a colony on that mud island over there
>or I could create my own plane of existence

Not only that, but if we want to get real : Colonization in D&D would be fast, it would be ugly, and there wouldn't be the diaspora resulting from mundane real world colonization.

It would be Disintegration and Fireball - the old race/society/culture there would cease to exist, and no one would remember them.

There is no "logical step" from D&D setting to modern times.
>>
>>51704885
If you actually read the various lore, very few wizards exist, and fewer still are capable of fireball, let alone disintegration.

Not that it would have no effect whatsoever, but you're far more likely to have towns hire wizards to build Wall of Stone than you are to clear an area with fireballs.
>>
>>51704865
>one cure wounds that you can cast infinitely because you use your HP to cast the spell

He already pointed out that if you can cast spells for less HP than they're worth, you can infinitely heal/cast. And if spells cost MORE HP than they're worth, you're at a strict disadvantage than a regular caster.

It's either too good or it's shitty.

>>51704869
Healing in combat is a hilarious joke, especially in 5E when you can't go to negative HP. Literally having anyone with a Healing Word as a bonus action will put someone back into the game and capable of dealing their regular amount of damage and blowing the encounter the fuck out.

4 guys dedicated to damage is going to end the encounter rounds ahead of 3 guys dedicated to damage and 1 heal monkey. This is part of the game design. They literally had to build the game to be possible without a cleric or healer in the party, elsewise there'd be a huge disclaimer in the front saying "WARNING : YOU MUST HAVE A LIFE CLERIC IN YOUR PARTY TO PLAY D&D".

It's a sick joke, really. Any DM that sees there's a life cleric in the party as well will just increase the damage done to the party/opportunities for them to get hurt so the life cleric can make use of his heals.

HEALING IN COMBAT IS A MEME
>>
>>51704885
You're making so many assumptions.

You're not taking into account anything but a very high magic campaign where the people in not!Europe have no magic at all.
>>
>>51704885
Please, in real life the Colonizers could've easily just wiped out the indigenous people entirely, but didn't for legitimate reasons like the necessity of a subjugated work force. Even in D&D it's not like manual labor has entirely been replaced; the scarcity of magic users and material components sees to that.

People will still be needed to mine the atium, or whatever you're colonizing the island for. And those people will still need to pick themselves up after the mines run out and the original colonizer takes off for the horizon.

And who's to say that the subjugated humans weren't subjugated by, say, dragonborn and their dargon overlords? That the island 200 nm east isn't primarily orc, with dwarfs in the mountain range, and which never fully surrendered?
>>
I want to create my own monster, but the rules in the DMG confuse me. It says that a creature of CR 1 should have around 71-85 HP.

Not a single creature in the MM of that CR has over 71 HP. Most of them have half of that.
What am I not understanding?
>>
>>51704915
>It's a sick joke, really. Any DM that sees there's a life cleric in the party as well will just increase the damage done to the party/opportunities for them to get hurt so the life cleric can make use of his heals.
Right, just like having a charisma caster will make the DM increase all social DC's and a rogue will make stronger traps?

Tuning for your parties enjoyment is one thing, but if you inflate everything that they are good at, and nerf those they aren't, player choice is an illusion. Get better DMs.

Also, Life Clerics are the archetype specifically made to allow for viable combat healing, everyone else is meant to patch you up and keep you alive.
>>
>>51704915
You cannot use a class spell slot to cast a Magic Initiate spell.
You cannot regain a Magic Initiate spell slot in any way other than a long rest.
It's in the book.
>>
>>51704923
Again, it depends on your setting, but Animate Dead makes for a damn good subjugated work force.

Also subjugating people with dragons and dragon warlords makes Eberron, or possibly Dark Sun.
>>
>>51704924
Read the whole thing instead of just the table.

Monster with lower hp can get higher attack and damage in compensation.
>>
>>51704909
>If you actually read the various lore, very few wizards exist, and fewer still are capable of fireball, let alone disintegration.
Yeah. Even the paladin orders in FR only have like hundreds of people each.
>>
>>51704933
>rogue will make stronger traps

I get what you're saying but this one's actually true.
>>
>>51704933
Combat healing isn't viable though. I can't believe people don't understand this by now. There's been an autismal amount of math and numbers to prove why it's ineffective over the various editions of D&D, and 5E has made it more redundant than ever.

Also, social DCs and traps aren't a constant thing in D&D like taking combat damage is. I don't think most of the party would give one insular fuck about higher social DCs that they're not going to bother with in the first place, and traps that don't have multiple solutions are boring. Worst case scenario, send in a familiar or a zombie to trigger the traps first.

>>51704936
What spell slots are we even talking about? He's talking about replacing spell slots with HP based casting. Slots don't matter in the example provided.
>>
>>51704943
Animate Dead is beyond almost all people. And one servant isn't much.
>>
>there are people in this thread that play D&D as a low fantasy setting where simple low level spells are beyond the ken of most folk

Holy fuck, this is depressing. The fuck is your BBEG, a guy with a +1 sword?
>>
Guys one of my players wants to make an archfey bladelock with a glaive so he can join the other guys into melee, is he boned?
>>
>>51704962
You're talking about getting cure wounds via Magic Initiate. You can only cast that once, then you need a long rest to cast it again, regardless of any class feature.
>>
>>51704948
Considering passive perception is likely as high, or higher, at least early on, with a cleric or druid, as long as traps can be avoided they don't have to be disabled any more.

Hell, my current party just hit 13 on its 2 highest members
>Battlemaster Dwarf with Shield Master
>War Cleric Human, built for sword and board
>Moon Druid half-elf, just got turned into a vampire
>Forest Druid Elf, she likes to blight and flaming sphere

and yet we've been just fine, even punching above our CR.

>>51704962
>Combat healing isn't viable though.
You can say that all you want, it doesn't change the fact that it works.
Learn to variety.
>>
>>51704987
Perhaps another edition is more your style.
>>
>>51705009
There's literally nothing in the 5E rulebook that says it's not high fantasy or can't be high fantasy.

I've never played a game of 5E where the players weren't embroiled in regular asshattery with other people who had magic abilities and powers.

If everyone is a normie and the players are basically gods, there's nothing to stop them from going FULL murderhobo. Also most of the campaign modules like Strahd show that NPCs aren't all useless 5 HP peasants.
>>
>>51705000
>You can say that all you want, it doesn't change the fact that it works.

He's not saying it doesn't work, he's saying that it's an inefficient joke, which it is.

>Can you play D&D without a combat healer? If yes, then why do you need one?
>>
>>51704991
Just make sure he understands that, without extreme optimization, bladelock ISN'T a melee class, its just a warlock with better options when he gets into the thick of it.

>>51705026
The existing way things are balanced, like the CR system, assume a lack of overflowing magical items.

Just because named/important NPCs are reasonably strong, doesn't mean the vast majority aren't.
>>
>>51704945
aah
So they use AC as a sort of currency when building to adjust the CR.
Thanks for the help
>>
>>51705042
It just creates a huge cognitive dissonance for the setting. If NPCs/named people are able to match the PCs or are stronger than the PCs, and the average joe is like a fucking cockroach before their might, the setting would basically be an ancap meme of warlord tribes fighting each other with slaves. Society would not function with wild disparity in power. The economy in D&D is already broken beyond shit.

Thankfully there are a shitload of different settings that 5E works with. It doesn't just have to be Greyhawk or Krynn or whatever.

I'd argue that there's more high fantasy ones than low fantasy. Low fantasy D&D is just rusty dagger shanktown and it's garbage.
>>
/5eg/, question for you all.

I'm setting up a campaign, and one of the players has a character bio where he's the grandson of a powerful, but deceased, archmage, and his goal for his adventuring career is looking for said archmage's greatest creation, and he'd like for it to be something like a Staff of the Magi, except it'd be a ring instead (because he's playing a Warlock with Pact of the Blade, he made a pact because he was the only grandkid without magic of his own and finally got sick of being a blacksmith, and also doesn't want to be wielding a staff because he's rolling with warhammers instead).

I can't see any issues with letting him be searching for a Staff of the Magi style item, since while it's very powerful, I also have no intention of letting the party get near it until they're reaching an appropriate level (and with appropriate story quests/rewards/etc.). However, is there anything inherently that might be an issue with making the "Staff" of the Magi into a ring instead? About all I can see looking at the item effects is that it'd be missing the +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls while wielded, since it's a ring and not a weapon, but are there any other potential balance issues I should be aware of before allowing the change, or even allowing the item at all? It'd still require attunement from him, once he finds it.
>>
>>51705042
Eeeeeeeeeeh you know what? He can learn that one on his own. Begged me to switch out characters because he got tired of his monk with really good dex and wis, because he found it boring and finds warlocks more to his liking.
(his first warlock, seeker tomelock, died at 3rd level)
>>
>>51705026
And there's literally nothing in the 5E rulebook that says it's not low fantasy or can't be low fantasy.

I like it when there's still an element of myth and mystery to magic. Otherwise it gets dull and can seem mundane.

PCs aren't particularly godly in 5E, either. Not until later anyway.
>>
>>51705044
AC,HP, attack and damage are all currency.
>>
>>51705088
>it's not low fantasy or can't be

I don't know about you, but being able to be a dragonborn, tiefling, wizard or druid right out of the gate and cast spells and shapeshift into stuff pretty much pisses directly into the mouth of low fantasy.
>>
Is monk a boring class outside of combat
>>
>>51705078
If he said "like" a the item he's not going to mind changes to it. You can just reduce the number of charges it can hold and let him "unlock" more of it's power as he levels up. If he can convince the party to try and get it early you should let him get it early but with gimped utility.
>>
>>51705110
You lack vision.
>>
D&D is literally the codifying trope for high fantasy what the fuck are you people smoking

Conan is low fantasy
>>
>>51705115
Running up walls is fun.
Shadow teleporting is fun too.
>>
>>51705115
Good news! Monk is a boring class inside *and* outside of combat!

In combat : Stunning Strike! GOOD JOB
Out of combat : Meditate! Use your complete lack of good skills or magical ability to have unique solutions to problems!
>>
>>51705139
>stop liking what I don't like!
>>
>>51705129
Could do that, yes, it'd let me put it in without needing to worry as much if I shave off some of the spells from it until he can unlock it.

There isn't really any balance issue with making it a ring, though?
>>
>>51705163
I like low fantasy though. I fucking love Conan. D&D is not low fantasy though. Low fantasy is low fantasy because the relatively LOW FANTASY CONTENT. Being able to spit lasers out of your mouth and shapeshift into a manbearpig while producing flame at will is not low fantasy.
>>
>>51705176
You don't have to go by the book, you can do whatever you want.
What don't you get?
>>
Can someone elaborate what kind of a character should I play as when creating a Nuclear Druid? A self-absorbed idiot who thinks he is a demi-god?
>>
>>51705009
>>51705026
0E does most stuff that isn't a princess pageant better. I like 5e but it very much leans itself towards particular sorts of games and clearly isn't universal. If it was all I had to play I'd be rather cross though and things like rules arguments at the table and special snowflakes would be much more grating.

Treat 5e as a superhero game or you're gonna need to throw everything in the garbage by about level 10 for scale or make absurd DM rulings about magic and crafting that make players feel arbitrarily limited to cope with the systems limits.

5e is a great game and is more "nutrient dense" than 3.anything or 4e ever was but it can't be your everything.
>>
>>51705195
People claiming that D&D is low fantasy. Sure, you can do whatever you want, but the content presented as provided is high fantasy.

I think that was what started everything.
>>
>>51705066
D&D is NOT low fantasy, it's just not AS high as it used to be, and has a fairly wide gap in power between the strong and weak.
>>
>>51705148
Hey now, depending on archetype it can do a couple other things in combat. Like shoving people around reasonably well, and being edgy, and HADOUKEN.
>>
>>51705088
5e PCs are demigods after like 5th level just based on the sort of things they can kill. Don't pretend otherwise.
>>
>>51705201
>Treat 5e as a superhero game or you're gonna need to throw everything in the garbage by about level 10 for scale

This. People only think 5E is balanced because the average game doesn't go past 6. Apparently the normal D&D group these days barely lasts more than a dozen sessions before the campaign is killed.

The high level content is completely fucking bonkers and is not balanced in any sense of the imagination.
>>
>>51705209
I can't see anyone claiming D&D is low fantasy.
>>
>>51705227
Because they can fly a couple of times a day?
>>
>>51705232
>>51704987
>>51705009

>>51705088
>nothing in the 5E rulebook that says it's not low fantasy
>>
>>51705227
Out of curiosity for "things they can kill", i went and put 4 level 5s into kobold fight club at deadly until i got 1 enemy.

Clay Golem.

Not exactly a demigod encounter.
>>
>>51705254
>Look just because I can shoot fire beams from my fingertips, fly, turn invisible, and shoot lightning doesn't mean I'm a demigod
>I mean let's look at a REAL demigod, like Hercules
>The dude was like... really strong
>Oh wait he couldn't do any of that crazy shit I can do?
>He was just stronger than normal people?

Demigods. Not even once.
>>
>>51705255
I never said it was.

I said the book doesn't say it isn't and encourages you to do what you want.
>>
>>51704885
Powerful wizards are rare, and Amn canoically did have colonies on Maztica.
>>
>>51702771
>What went wrong with Sorcerers
Playtesters that wanted a wizard-clone instead of a unique class that suits its fluff.
>>51702814
>There is far too much planning involved in what should be a very freeflowing class.
It's a very good description of what's wrong with the design. Building a sorcerer should really be straightforward and the simple method should work. Instead, it's an exercise in very carefully considered optimization to make a sorcerer that's functional in the game. Good luck if you want to have a coherent theme at the same time.
>>
>>51705260
>kobold fight club

I ran it and I got Star-Thing of Nheb
CR: 9 XP: 5,000
Primeval Thule Campaign Setting p.247
>>
>>51705266
I should think demigods could do those things at will, rather than twice, then become a shadow of their former selves.
>>
5e class tier rating

Fun to play, useful in/out of combat, well designed tier
Rogue
Wizard
Bard

Useful and mostly satisfying but not quite perfect tier
Druid
Cleric
Paladin

Promising tier
Artificer

Meh tier
Fighter

Poor progression and limited utility tier
Monk
Barb

Could have been much better with minimal effort tier
Warlock
Ranger

Just bad tier
Sorcerer

Pray for a redesign tier
Mystic
>>
>>51705285
Even God had to rest after creating Earth.
>>
>>51705266
He fought a hydra in single combat?

That's CR 8, just in D&D terms, which is still deadly for that party of 4.

>>51705260
>didn't deselect third party
>>
>>51702299
There should be Mystic rework as well
>>
>>51705282
Yeah well that's only 5,000 XP and my guy in CoC killed one with a nuclear warhead this one time and uh so...
>>
>>51705282
>third party
>>
>>51705288
>Rogue

Only if you specific Arcane Trickster, which is better at doing everything the other rogue choices are able to do.
>>
>>51705299
For one day. About the same time that a Wizard must rest.
Except God created a universe and the Wizard created two skeletons.
>>
>>51705322
Why did the wizard go to sleep after only using a single spell slot?

You're a terrible wizard.
>>
>>51705321
How can AT come close to Assasin's damage?
>>
>>51705329
We were talking about a level 5 Wizard. Two level three slots, two spookys.
>>
>>51705333
>Assassin

Ahahahahahahahah

ahahah

literally the worst

hahah

hahahahaha
>>
Don't suppose there's a tool for generating a generic stat block based on XP/CR and what sort of enemy you want it to be?

The Mega can help you FIND levelled enemies and get the CR of a readymade one, but I'm craving something that helps you build one from scratch.
>>
>>51705350
How so?
>>
>>51705322
very few campaigns are going to have the DM drag shit out solely to fuck with one party member
>>
>>51705333
Assassin's are pretty poorly executed. They aren't terrible or anything, but it adds very little to the base Rogue kit.
>>
>>51705333
>muh damage

>>51705343
But that's God, not a demi-god. Hercules can't even make one spooky.
>>
So I went down on the path of creating a campaign
of guns&sorcery.
The problem I came across was that by using DMG guns melee and STR characters become completely nonviable and have no idea how to fix this.
Help?
>>
>>51705288
>sorcerer
>below the fucking WARLOCK
>>
>>51705350
Yes and no. Depends how generous the DM is with Surprise rounds. If you multiclass into something with extra attack, and dual wield, you can get in three criticals before the enemies have had a chance to do anything.
>>
>>51705368
And a level 5 wizard gets ogred by a Hydra or Medusa.
>>
>>51705226
Also use the only save-or-die in the game, which also isn't a spell so it bypasses most forms of magic resistance

>>51705040
Healing word is fine

Absolutely no other means of healing is, only healing word. Because bonus action
>>
>>51705148
So... skilled feat?
>>
>>51702771
Simple:

Sorcerer:
>All metamagic is learned at once.
>Hp die is a d8 (Bard gets a d8 and proficiencies)
>The levels where you'd gain metamagic normally give some utility features instead.

Bladelock:
>Attacks with the pact weapon are melee spell attacks keying of Cha and deal the same damage as EB
>Reaction to strike an enemy entering/exiting your weapon range without the disengage action

Monk:
>d10 Hp die
>FOB is 3 unarmed strikes instead of 2
>Ki enhanced strikes (the feature that lets you ignore non-magic weapon resistance) in addition lets you add your Wis mod in damage once per round on 1 unarmed strike that hits a target.

As for Wot4E:
>make it the AT/EK of monks that learns from the sorcerer spell list.
>Higher level features let you focus on one or more damage types or ki fuelled metamagic.
>>
>>51703302
I feel like Vengeance/War would try to take control of conquest's Army for some purpose, and Treachery/Famine would try to selfishly control food supplies, hoarding it for themselves against coming shortages, and making the whole thing worse. They might even end up against each other.
>>
>>51705230
>The high level content is completely fucking bonkers and is not balanced in any sense of the imagination.

I've played with it a little and the thing that makes the least sense to me is how 5e also seemed to coincide with CR shifting of things like liches so that probably not even 1% of games will ever encounter them and if they do they will take them down in a round or two legendary actions aside.

5e has the appearance of a complete game but a lot of things are simply filled in to give the false appearance of round numbers and the illusion of depth. Combined with the lack of official content being put out I wonder what sort of longevity 5e will actually have.
>>
>>51705384
>Absolutely no other means of healing is, only healing word. Because bonus action
Aura of Vitality is also good. Heal is good when you need to remove a condition it fixes anyway, and Mass Healing Word gets up multiple downed allies.
>>
Kinda wish we were getting more spells in UA and books. Even just something that lets you change the damage type of certain spells would be great.
>>
>>51705367
I don't like the archetype, but the autocrit is hard to ignore, mostly for multiclassing purposes though.
>>
>>51705364
>>51705367
>>51705382

>Assassinate ability only kicks in if you beat your target's initiative in the surprise round, even if they are unaware of you when the combat starts

Also going Fighter/Rogue is a better assassin than a pure assassin.
>>
>>51705364
Assassin only get double damage on the first round of combat (if the star align for you ontop of that).

Arcane Trickster get double damage every round after they cast Haste. They can use ready action to attack (and get sneak attack damage) off turn.
>>
>>51705389
>Monk
The biggest problem with monks is that they are stunbots and boring sods of shit outside of combat. Give them some more interesting mechanics instead of trying to fix the meat slab and damage numbers.
>>
>>51704943
>but Animate Dead makes for a damn good subjugated work force.

3e: Just what I always wanted, a work force that CANNOT THINK, LEARN, OR REMEMBER and has no skills.
5e: Hey they can think, learn, and remember now, but just what I always wanted, to burn off all my spell slots for 10-20 peasants worth of labor!
>>
>>51705376
Warlock is a one trick pony but it does that pony very well.

Now that Sorcerer cannot use his Twinned Scorching Ray meme build, he's a no trick pony.
>>
>>51705389
>Bladelock
>Attacks with the pact weapon are melee spell attacks keying of Cha and deal the same damage as EB

So, Lifedrinker from the get-go?
>>
>>51705407
Or you know.. Phantasmal force. Create an illusion of a Wizard casting Hold Monster on the enemy. Enjoy critical hits.
>>
>>51705393
>what sort of longevity 5e will actually have.
I guess this depends on what comes next. If it's a fuckup then it will be retroactively built up but if anything that comes after it is an improvement I honestly can't think of anything to be particularly nostalgic about.
>>
>>51705430
Phantasmal force is my favorite spell and it pains me when DMs don't handle it well or just disregard it.
>>
>>51705393
>and if they do they will take them down in a round or two legendary actions aside.

As well they should... but things become harder when a lich doesn't just blunder into melee combat, exhibiting no sense of tactics.

I mean its a very powerful undead wizard, but its still essentially a wizard. At least let it have a few skeletons or zombies to block a choke point for it first, FFS.
>>
>>51705393
3.5 was only around for 5 years.
4E was around for roughly 5 as well (little longer if you count the playtest)
5E came out in 2014. It only needs to last two more years before they can shit out 6E.
>>
>>51705420
> Twinned Scorching Ray
> not Twinned Haste or Polymorph
> not Heighten Banishment

It's not as good as Divination Wizard but it's there.
>>
>>51705376
Yes, and? See >>51705420
>>
>>51705393
>Combined with the lack of official content being put out I wonder what sort of longevity 5e will actually have.

This is probably the biggest indicator of why 5e will last longer, because they're not falling into the 2e/3e/4e trap of ZOMG SO MANY SUPPLEMENTS
>>
>>51705456
Warlock is routinely rated lower than it should be by people who don't understand that warlocks play like martials.
>>
>>51705444
Nothing in that post says the lich is blundering into melee, try the top tier content yourself if you think it's so great.
>>
>>51705450
Jesus it's been that long since 3.5 came out? Feels like just yesterday I had to deal with a thousand super autistic's playing Wizards.
>>
>>51705407
>>51705430
But AT gets those spells at level 10, right? Getting to that level is far rarer than Assassinate activating.
>>
>>51705456
>create thrall doesn't create a thrall
>armor of agathys is a complete bastardization and is solely hellish rebuke's retarded cousin now
>depends on the DM handing out twice as many rests as the DMG recommends
>bladelock does fuck all

I don't see the point, its especially painful to see how the 5e warlock has fallen in comparison to the 4e warlock.
>>
>>51705466
Splat bloat wasn't a boon for earlier editions but a total dearth of content isn't either.
>>
>>51705487
Level 7 for Phantasmal Force.
Level 13 for Haste.
>>
>>51705474
>try the top tier content yourself if you think it's so great.

Will do.

Actually yeah I can see the lich dying fast, I'm used to everthing in 5e having huge hit points, but the lich has less HP than a vampire.
>>
>>51705174
There isn't much of a balance issue in making it a ring rather than a weapon. If you want you could remove the +2 attack/damage and only keep the spell bonuses. He's a warlock, so the bonuses he'll want are the spell bonuses.
>>
>>51705450
The only short-lived full edition there is 4.

6E isn't coming any time soon.
>>
>>51705495
>but a total dearth of content isn't either.

Luckily 5e doesn't have a total dearth of content. Compare it to 1e, which did quite fine without vomiting forth infinite splats and requiring a god damn backpack full of books.
>>
>>51705512
>The only short-lived full edition there is 4.

And 3e.
>>
Is it just me or are hags totally underrated?

>Seahag
>CR 2
>off-turn fear followed by instant death attack
>3 together share a level 12 caster's repertoire
>compare this to the CR 6, level 9 mage
>>
>>51705532
> Full
>>
>>51705406
That's why you take the Alert feat. Should have high Dex anyway as a Rogue.

Personally I prefer Swashbuckler anyway.
>>
Are there any reference or rules to bombs in the DMG/PHB?

I'm just curious as to what kind of damage a non-magical bomb would cause. Like if some dwarves filled a barrel with gunpowder, or made a big-ass barrel-sized molotov cocktail.
>>
When do they normally drop the UAs?
I always just check late in the day and it's there, so I have no idea what time they actually throw them out.
>>
>>51705558
Only one guy of five in my party got death stared. Then we kept our distance until the paladin kicked her into a hole with a gibbering mouther at the bottom, then closed the hole.

I guess the fight might have been tough if that hadn't happened.
>>
>>51705558
Oh and of course, those seahags have more HP individually than the level 9 wizard, more hp, they may have lair actions (doesn't seem to adjust their challenge rating), and icing on the cake, they are still worth less XP (total).

Hags are pretty nasty and in a lot of ways are a neglected midpoint between orcs/gobbos/hobbos/etc. and giants.
>>
>>51705618
>>51705558
Oh wait, a sea hag as part of a covey is CR 4, nevermind. So yeah, 3 sea hagz will be 3300 xp, vs the mage's 2300. Sounds about right, though I would still say they are going to be very, very tough.
>>
>>51705581
Best rogue archetype tanking is arcane trickster > thief > scout > inquisitor > swashbuckler > shit > mastermind > assassin
>>
>>51705595
Alchemist's fire is a 1d4 sustained over rounds, whereas... regular oil is 5 fire damage, no rolling. The difference is that alchemist's fire doesn't need anything to start the fire and the oil needs an ignition source. Also silly is that alchemist's fire specifies a DC 10 check can put out the flame but for oil, you keep burning until the oil dries (one minute, aka ten rounds).

Oil is oddly superior. That being said, 3.0 and D20 modern used to have dynamite pegged out at about 2d6 per stick, and bundling them in packs of 12 would increase it to 4d6 (instead of increasing the damage per stick).

I'd say 4d6 is pretty reasonable for an exploding barrel. 8d6 is a fucking fireball spell, so.
>>
>>51703520
Fire and acid aren't great damage types, both their attacks are Dex negates which makes them less accurate, and they have only 30' range. Then it's still less damage than sneak attack. You might be able to pull something with 24 hour conjure animal (their construct), but probably not for long enough to matter.
>>
>>51705960
The alchemist archetype is more about utility. The fact that it gets access to consistent damage sources - even if they're not super high damage - is just icing on the cake.
>>
>>51705692
>Thief
>slightly sneakier, can do things in combat that you don't want to do in combat

>Inquisitor
>can see things

>Mastermind
>is essentially the charlatan background
>complements none of the Rogue skillset

Arcane Trickster > Scout = Swashbuckler > Assassin > Inquisitor > Thief > Mastermind
>>
>>51706018
You can use spellcasting scrolls as a rogue.
You can use a holy avenger as a rogue.
You get *an extra turn at the start of every combat*.

Also
>inquisitor over assassin
You fucked up real bad.
>>
>>51705410
Quite fairly only the lvl 10 and onwards features need to be fixed.
Empty body should be replaced by the current capstone while the new capstone should be similar to the Barbarian capstone giving a +4 boost to Dex/Con letting them go over the 20 limit.
>>
>>51706018
>Thief that low

Because stealing the enemy's weapon out of his hand and chugging potions of whateverthefuckyouwant for free is bad.
>>
About to run a game with a known pedant, that tends to get frustrated by little historical inaccuracies.

One of the main ones I'm having trouble with resolving before I run a game for him is the issue of studded leader. No such thing existed and if it did, it wouldn't be very efficient.

But what sort of true-to-history armour fills the same niche as 'studded leather' does in 5e, being the best sort of armour you can wear without hindering your agility and mobility?
>>
>>51705428
No it's way better than lifedrinker.
Your pact weapon has the same damage die as EB and uses Cha instead of Str/Dex for attack/damage rolls.
>>
>>51705692
>swashbuckler that low

Here's the proper order:
AT>Swashbuckler>Thief>Scout>Shit>The rest
>>
>>51706060
>and uses Cha instead of Str/Dex for attack/damage rolls.
RIP Bladelock multiclass.
>>
>>51706072
Swashbuckler is that low because many of it's features only work for melee and melee <<< ranged.

And that's a very very good reason to rank it where it is.
>>
>>51705718
Shit, didn't even think about oil. I've just tried to arrange a deal in-game to buy 2 big barrels of alchemist's fire for 16,000gp to use as explosives.

Would it be more (cost) effective to buy oil instead?
>>
>>51706054
Brigandine/jack of plates.

Basically leather armor with little armor plates inside of it. Still silent, still mobile.
>>
>>51706097
>pretty much constant sneak attacks
>initiative boost
>can charm people/pull enemies around
>almost never need to disengage

Swashbuckler has the best synergy with actual Rogue combat features.
>>
>>51706109
I really enjoyed how in The Complete Warlock, that although its rated as a weak armor, leather and plate is damn good.
>>
>>51704030
>Why can't Sorcerers just BE?
They can, according to the book. It's the shitty players who keep replacing Origins with Bloodlines.
5e sorcerous origin
>Any superhero.
PF sorcerous Bloodline
>Kryptonian.
>>
>>51706103
Alchemists fire is way, way over priced for what it does. The only unique property it has over oil is simply combusting on contact when you throw a vial of it. If you're going to blow it up yourself with fire bolt or an arrow set on fire or something, you should be able to buy WAY MORE barrels of oil for 16,000 gp
>>
>>51706128
The initiative boost is Cha based and making it any significant number makes you MAD.

The "hey guys I can SA even if no one is there" is hardly ever relevant in an intelligent party that utilizes any modicum of combat tactics or if you have half a brain and can use terrain and cover to hide and give yourself advantage, and when it is *you're a rogue in melee and not at range*.

It's like bladelock - it encourages you to do suboptimal shit.
>>
>>51706145
Awesome. I'll look kind of dumb to my group for going back to the criminal fence and being like "actually, can we... uh... Oil instead" but it'll be easier to get the gold for that.
>>
>>51706159
I'm actually playing a Bladelock/Swashbuckler kek

To be fair though, it synergises VERY well. Hex + perma-SA + dual wielding + extra attack + high dex, and later, CHA boost from Lifedrinker.

Almost tempted to take a dip into something with Two Weapon Fighting to get my +5 Dex boost to the second weapon.
>>
>>51706162
You could play it off with a Bluff roll and claim you were asking for Al Kemist, the famous Oil Baron's "fire", aka oil.
>>
>>51706182
>[badly-drawn laughing meme face.jpg]

I'll give it a go. Thanks anon.
>>
>>51706180
MAD, melee when you could be ranged, lack of HP to safely sustain in melee, dropping caster levels for rogue, dropping rogue levels for caster
I am triggered
>>
>>51705595
>>51705718
>>51706103
>>51706145
>>51706182
>>51706193

The BBEG in my campaign is an alchemist/necromancer who rigs zombies up with bombs and basically IRA/Jihads villages and kingdoms that he holds grudges against.

It's actually really hard to deal with. I'm afraid he's going to start making like zombie-crow-grenades.
>>
>>51706208
That's hilarious. I wish I had more caster levels so I could raise undead and do the same.
>>
>>51706128
>>51706159
>>51706097
>>51706072
I'm agreeing with ranged>melee anon here.

While swashbuckler is a great choice for a melee rogue, it's a simple fact that melee is still a bad fucking choice.

Crossbow mastery hand crossbow rogue is easily better in that you shouldn't have to disengage in the first place. Your only issue is having teammates that're actually next to targets or having a way to grant yourself advantage, in which case you'll have to sacrifice a bonus action to use the 'hide' action.

If you want to be a melee rogue and be as good as or better than a ranged rogue, you have to fully utilitize grappling(multiclassing)/BB or GFB (Arcane trickster or multiclassing or magic initiate)/Prone or wolf barbarian or melee-only-boosts (Requires teammate synergy)/Disengagement to make up for the problems of being in melee (Swashbuckler OR grappling multiclasses can also do this simply by shoving enemies OR just use your bonus action if you don't need it or don't need to dash OR... Shadow monk multiclasses or other multiclasses, or the mobile feat, or... There are a lot of ways of doing this, swashbuckler is hardly the only good choice)/Knowing when to use ranged attacks anyway/Shields since you can't use those with ranged weapons (Multiclassing)

Basically, swashbuckler isn't bad, but it's rogue: easymode.

AT >>Thief>Swashbuckler>Assassin>Shit>EverythingElse
Unless you're new to 5e, in which case swashbuckler is the best.
>>
>>51702217
So is Favored Soul the dnd Oracle equivalent?
>>
>>51706208
I would do this but there's no way in hell my DM would let me. Or he would, and he'd make the damage pathetically low or some shit to spite me.

>Your zombie explodes and it does 1d6 in a five foot radius
>>
>>51702217
How many feats/ASIs is equal to an extra attack?

Thinking of allowing an exchange in either direction, up to a maximum number of attacks by level.
>>
>>51706226
It's just a sorcerer who can heal.
>>
>>51706229
Pole-arm Master gets you an extra 1d4 attack, so I'd argue a normal extra attack is worth 1.5/2 feats max.
>>
>>51706228
Most DMs would probably make you suffer eternally due to how hellishly expensive it would be.

I consider myself a generous DM but I still see no way around the expense.
>>
>>51706109
Exactly what I treat "studded leather" as.

Now Ring Mail, that's an armor that makes no goddamn sense and would need a more proper replacement for....
>>
>>51706229
My guts feeling say 2 ASI
>>
>>51706226
It's pretty good is what it is. Not as good as shadow but still very solid as an archetype.
>>
>>51706236
yes... at the cost of a reaction or bonus
>>
>>51705558
>hags
>underrated
Nigga sea hag it's shit, but night hag and green hag are pretty strong
Plus if you play CoS you can get the fight of the bone grinder which you fight against a coven (cr 10 i think)
And if that's not enough you can fight baba lyssaga too
>>
>>51705414
All your spell slots, with necromancer school, is like 120 something undead. You're fine.
>>
>>51706237
Expensive how?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=8wW5KR1pDxs

If you're letting the player be an alchemist who isn't an idiot, it's pretty easy to use zombies to blow up peasants and then use the dead peasants to make more gunpowder to make more zombies. It snowballs really well, considering you could probably kill a few peasants with one zombomb.
>>
>>51705508
That's why the lich has a phylactery and hides it very well. You kill it once, sure, but then it comes back knowing your strengths and weaknesses.
>>
>>51706271
>You can sacrifice all your spell slots to do what a level 2 character with pocket change could do
>once I was a mover and shaker of the cosmos
>my peers are leading their armies to slaughter everything in their path
>me? now I babysit skeletal peasants to do menial chores except they're significantly dumber and more useless

BRILLIANT
>>
>>51706290
I didn't realize pocket change would let you have an army of 120 zombies that don't need to sleep, eat, rest, won't complain, disobey, etc.

A peasant isn't going to scoop away hot tar with his bare hands because you offered him 2 sp. And you can't trust them not to snitch about your underground lair that you just built with slavepower.

Also you could set up a computer made out of undead, ala Deep Rot.
>>
>>51706268

>Nigga sea hag it's shit

A 3300 xp sea hag covey is going to fuck up a LOT of parties, everyone must make 3 will saves and then they can turn the party into an instant death shooting gallery. Plus, all them spells.
>>
>>51706279
>who isn't an idiot
Newsflash, by modern standards, fucking Leonardo da Vinci would be considered an idiot due to his lack of knowledge (even if our knowledge only stems from our easy access to wikipedia and search engines).

Just because we're aware of how to make gunpowder, doesn't mean that alchemists from a fictional time period based on a variety of periods of Medieval Europe would be able to. It's completely at the DM's discretion.

And to be honest, I wouldn't allow any player character to cheaply make a non-magical substance which they can use to solve nearly all of their combat-related problems.
>>
>>51706325
>Warforged exist and were made by people
>Alchemist is literally a class that can make guns that don't even NEED gunpowder
>A wizard that knows how to raise the fucking dead can't figure out how to get saltpeter from piss
>>
>>51706279
Oh Christ, its a "mix RL physics + spells" pleb. How fucking impossibly new are you? Gunpowder hasn't worked in most D&D settings for decades. Go Major Create neutronium somewhere else.
>>
>>51704030
Stop playing pathfinder and you can.
>>
>>51706300
Oh boy, "not complaining" is sure worth not having to spend pitiful pocket change in an edition where there is almost nothing to spend even very large sums on. As far as exploits go, expending vast amounts of spell slots to save truly boring and unimpressive amounts of cash on par with "life hack: save money on inns by sleeping in a pile of dirt under a bridge!"

>A peasant isn't going to scoop away hot tar with his bare hands because you offered him 2 sp.

You can, on the other hand, get him a shovel for 2 sp, and he doesn't need to be babysat continuously, lets you know if something is going wrong, etc.

>Also you could set up a computer made out of undead, ala Deep Rot.

That wasn't interesting the first time, and you need a lot more than 120 skeletons for that.
>>
>>51704488
>heal yourself with spells
Nigga what arcane class gets heal spells besides bard?
>>
Anyone know any good S&S/Conan-esque 5E premade campaigns?
>>
>>51706378
favored soul.
any sorcerer with cleric or bard multiclass.
>>
>>51704915
>cast magic initiate infinitely
Read the dang book before claiming things are broken.
>>
>>51706218
>Crossbow expert hand crossbow rogue
>SA+1d6+Dex
>advantage from cover
>1 chance to hit
>can only shoot one because you need a free hand to reload
>no need to run or disengage

>melee Swashbuckler
>SA+1d6+Dex+1d6
>2 chances to hit, no advantage
>free disengage when 1v1

I can't say I'm seeing a huge amount of difference. But then, I AM new to 5e. Where's the plus from crossbows apart from having a bit more range?
>>
>>51705009
Specialized humans have a feat. Every village is gonna need at least one ritual caster, and probably have a few magic initiates, wizard school dropouts or maybe just self-taught dabblers.
>>
>>51706339
>physics only get applied in D&D when I want them to!

Please. There's oil which also works fine for explosions, and is purchasable in the book for peanuts. You could also drill for oil yourself, or transmute it, if you have such a hard-on against gunpowder. What are you going to do, ban lamp oil?

>>51706376
You don't need to babysit your undead anymore. I don't know when the last time you played D&D was, but it wasn't 5E.
>>
>>51706406
> advantage
> 1 chance to hit
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>51706376
One hectopeasant for another, i'd rather have the one immune to death and fear effects.
>>
>>51706439
Okay. All large or bigger enemies all get severely nerf due to square-cube law now. Thanks physics.
>>
>>51706406
Crossbow expert says you ignore loading quality. You get as many shots as you have attacks.
>>
>>51706454
That's not the point anon. The feat doesn't ignore ammunition quality, so you can't dual wield it for a bonus attack.
>>
>>51706450
I'm okay with this. If they're non magical.

The magical ones use magic to suppress the effects.

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here though. Combustion works in D&D. Oil exists, and it explodes. What exactly about physics in D&D prevents gunpowder from combusting but allows oil to do so? What lets thunderstones blow up?

If it's magic, then magic gunpowder or a likewise substance should be fine. If magic is somehow preventing the existence specifically of gunpowder and gunpowder combustion, then make oil bombs. I'm just curious to your reasoning here.
>>
>>51706337
>Warforged exist and were made by people

On accident, and using magic, resulting in a kind of minor artifact.

>Alchemist is literally a class that can make guns that don't even NEED gunpowder

Yes, a wholly optional and obscure subclass that can't mass produce guns is proof that people can make gunpowder in the setting.

>A wizard that knows how to raise the fucking dead can't figure out how to get saltpeter from piss

Is probably not possible at all in the setting, but keep trying to combine magic + RL science knowledge.
>>
>>51706337
Warforged were made entirely through magical processes.
Artificers creature items through mostly through magical processes as well.
Ask a surgeon to write a Hello, World! program in C for you, without letting them look anything up.

Wizards are masters of magical knowledge and lore, not mundane sciences. Alchemist's fire is as close as they can magically get to gunpowder.

Sometimes DMs don't want to deal with their players trying to kick-start a renaissance or an industrial revolution every campaign. The moment you let a wizard casually produce gunpowder is the moment you've given that wizard a tool that they will proceed to try and solve every single encounter with.
>>
>>51706465

Totally right back at you brah.
>>
>>51706468
Oil bombs.
>>
>>51706406
The real difference is that melee is a lot more fun than ranged. Swashbuckler is definitely my favorite rogue subclass so far, it feels great to dance around the battlefield shouting insults at the enemies while they're locked in melee with the paladin. I can't wait to grab Magic Initiate and combine Panache with Booming Blade.

And also
>free disengage when 1v1 or 1v2, because you're dual-wielding
>>
>>51706462
So you have two handcrossbow attacks, one rapier attack.
>>
>>51706439

Your argument is quite literally "physics get applied in D&D when you want the to." Not how it works.

>>51706444
One hectopeasant requires a laughably small amount of pocket change.
Another requires voiding all your mid to high spell slots.
Such a hard decision.

>>51706465

Gunpowder is a thing in D&D only at the DM's discretion. Gunpowder not working in all campaign settings is straight from Appendix N, dude. Christ.

You are a munchkin AND a newfag. Sad!
>>
>>51706468
>>51706471
How do you deal with the existence of oil then?

Gunpowder is not any more powerful than a Fire Bolt. It's like saying the moment you let a wizard casually take Fire Bolt is the moment you've given him a tool that he'll try to solve every encounter with.

>B but you can't make barrels of fire bolt

You can literally get a bunch of boulders and push them off a ledge to crush an encounter to death too if you wanted.

You guys act like gunpowder is going to suddenly destroy the entire fucking D&D multiverse somehow.

Explosive Runes exist. Fireball exists.
>>
>>51706475
That's perfectly fine, but don't expect it to be for free.
>>
>>51706492
It's less than 1 sp a pint.
>>
>>51706406
>Hand crossbow rogue
>SA+2d6+2xDEX at a range of about 30ft normally
>Can shoot as often as you fucking like because even without crossbow mastery you only make one shot per action/bonusaction/etc
>No reaction attacks

>Melee swashbuckler
>SA+1d6+1d6+Dex
>Same number of chances to hit, harder to get advantage from hiding but easier to get advantage from things like prone
>Running 30ft after disengagemelee will probably still get your shit smacked if enemies move 30ft to chase you

I forgot one of the best things about melee swashbucklers, they threaten a pretty decent reaction attack since they can often get sneak attack even on a reaction attack. But then, I guess monsters are probably fine with hitting you instead.
>>
>>51706484
I love that all of these are on the same comment. Explains so much.
>>
>>51706242
Ring Mail is just riveted mail anon.
>>
>>51706481
No you don't the hand's not free.
>>
>>51706485
>How do you deal with the existence of oil then?

D&D has virtually always had two bizarre chemistry fiats:
1. Molotov cocktails are plentiful and cheap.
2. Gunpowder generally doesn't work and more often you need "smoke powder." This is straight from Appendix N, if it harms your delicate sensibilities.

>Gunpowder is not any more powerful than a Fire Bolt

Of course it is. Why do you lie, out of curosity?

>It's like saying the moment you let a wizard casually take Fire Bolt is the moment you've given him a tool that he'll try to solve every encounter with.

No its not. Why do you lie? You want gunpowder so you can stack a bajillion gunpowder charges unto themselves and destroy everything. That is why you are a cancerous munchkin. Difference between a munchkin and a mere powergamer is that a munchkin throws temper tantrums about wanting the DM to houserule *in his favor*, and then uses the houserule to break the game.

Definitely the lowest form of RPG life. What's worse, is your analogies are shit.

>You can literally get a bunch of boulders and push them off a ledge to crush an encounter to death too if you wanted.

Fine with me.

>You guys act like gunpowder is going to suddenly destroy the entire fucking D&D multiverse somehow.

That's your goal, yes.

>durr let me stack 1000 castings of fire bolt with my homebrew!

No.
>>
>>51706484
>argues that paying peasants is more effective than using zombies
>but buying lamp oil to make bombs is being a munchkin
>>
>>51706520
Gunpowder isn't more powerful than a Fire Bolt. Please show me where I lied.

>No its not. Why do you lie? You want gunpowder so you can stack a bajillion gunpowder charges unto themselves and destroy everything.

Please show me where I stated that. Ever. I agree with this man>>51705718 where a barrel bomb would be 4d6. This is less than a Fireball.

My goal is not to destroy the multiverse. You are literally an autistic faggot.
>>
>>51706481
You need a free hand to attack with weapon with ammunition property.

again. "ammunition" property, not "loading" property.
>>
>>51706519
Then literally how is the feat supposed to work, it says you can dual wield a light-one handed and a crossbow, and the crossbow ignores loading.

If you can't shoot the crossbow twice, why ignore loading?

If you can't do both with your hands full, why let you dual wield?
>>
>>51706532
>here a barrel bomb would be 4d6.

And, you know... nearly for free.
>>
>>51706520
>wildly accuse someone of being a liar and a cancerous munchkin

Hahahah holy shit this nigga got a persecution complex large enough to have its own GDP.
>>
>>51706535
> I know RAI better than the author who created them

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/sageadvice_feats
>>
>>51706543
How is it for free?

He'd need to spend a shitload of time getting the barrels, evaporating/treating the piss, harvesting the salt peter, the sulphur, the charcoal, refining it, making the barrels, transporting the barrels...

Or I could just be a wizard and throw a fireball. Or I could cast explosive runes on something.

You're overreacting like a fragile manbaby.
>>
>>51706535
Hand crossbows are light one-handed weapons.

But you couldn't reload your hand crossbow if you had something in your other hand.

And you can't use two-weapon-fighting with ranged weapons.

Basically you use the extra attack from the hand crossbow to make another hand crossbow attack.
>>
>>51706535
> It says you can dual wield a light-one handed and a crossbow

Where the hell does it say that anon?

> When you use the Attack action and attack with a one handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a hand crossbow you are holding.

It doesn't say DUAL WIELD anywhere. It let you attack with the same hand crossbow twice.
>>
>>51706522
One is hiring menial workers to do menial work that nobody cares about is more efficient than using nearly all of a high level caster's spell slots to do it.
The other is bleating at the DM in the hopes he will give you a house rule you can then use to make the game more static, less interesting and overall far easier.
>>
>>51706535
>>51706553
>>51706561

The solution to this is to just have a bunch of preloaded hand crossbows strapped all over your body, duh.
>>
>>51706485
Oil is relatively weak, whereas there are no rules for exactly how powerful gunpowder would be.

Every pint of oil causes a 5-foot-square area to burn for 2 rounds, dealing 5 fire damage to any creature that enters the area or ends its turn in the area. I really don't mind that. It's hard for an asshat to optimize something like that without wasting resources that are better used doing other things.

Gunpowder is an unknown quantity, that would require the DM to stat - and probably not in a vacuum, since the sort of asshat that likes to optimize use of explosives would try to push to make it as powerful as possible.

You either make it as weak as oil, so that optimizing it is a waste of time or you make it "realistically" powerful, in which case you've just introduced a substance to your game which will change everything forever.

To prove this, let's hear how you would stat gunpowder. Come on, tell us how powerful you think gunpowder would be.

How much damage would a 1lb cartridge do to a creature in the same 5-foot-square area as it when it explodes?
How much damage would a full barrel of the stuff do, what would the radius be, etcetera?

Give us this information on how you think gunpowder should be statted and we'll tell you whether it would be a waste of time using it at all (like oil is) or whether it would absolutely destroy a campaign and revolutionize warfare in the campaign setting.
>>
>>51706567
Except oil exists, isn't a house rule, and doesn't make anything easier.

Also, as a DM, I would probably make the peasants refuse/complain/demand food, etc, because they're peasants. There's nothing efficient about hiring unskilled laborers to do dangerous work. Zombies are literally a dream employee.
>>
>>51706571
> Rogue
> not wearing a suit made of knifes, belts and zippers
>>
>>51706579
He already told you here >>51706532 which cites >>51705718

Basically d20/3.0 rules for dynamite.

2d6 for a single 'charge', capping at 4d6. He never specified using it to make guns, cannons, etc. Just barrel bombs. Presumably inspired by >>51706208
>>
>>51706558
'just' be a wizard, a class requiring minimum years of studu, followed by adventure to level 5.

Its a long standing idea that effort, training, and practice gate destruction in d&d.
>>
>>51706553
THEN WHAT DOES THE FEAT DO THAT YOU CAN'T ALREADY DO?!
>>
File: 1479679778074.png (30KB, 160x299px) Image search: [Google]
1479679778074.png
30KB, 160x299px
>>51706606
>>
>>51706561
>nd you can't use two-weapon-fighting with ranged weapons
NIGGA IT SAYS RIGHT THERE IN THE FEAT. TWF WITH 1 LIGHT WEAPON AND ONE CROSSBOW.
>>
>>51706579
If you're so worried about it, why don't *you* suggest reasonable rules for gunpowder that aren't

- a waste of time
- doesn't absolutely destroy a campaign

I frankly as a DM will allow my players all the gunpowder they want, because it will NEVER be as good as magic. Even fireball becomes shit at higher levels, and gunpowder isn't even close to fireball in terms of potency.
>>
>>51706618
It doesn't say TWF at all brah. You are delusional.
>>
>>51706564
So then you get 3 crossbow shots from one crossbow, without TWF? That's even better.
>>
File: IMG_4475.jpg (76KB, 559x756px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4475.jpg
76KB, 559x756px
>>51706571
History confirms this is a good idea.
>>
>>51706618
It's not TWF. That is not TWF. It's similar to TWF, however.

This is making a hand crossbow attack after making an attack with a one-handed weapon such as a hand crossbow.
>>
>>51706625
gunpowder leads to mundane explosives and guns, which change the nature of a setting by existing.
>>
>>51706605
...but the original post was explaining how *wizards*, specifically alchemists, would be the ones creating gunpowder. Which makes sense to me, seeing as how they're the ones studying, training, etc.

Like what kind of PC Alchemist can't make exploding dust? It's embarrassing to think that a level 5 PC specializing in alchemy will never actually achieve any remotely substantial progress in the field of chemistry.
>>
>>51706628
>all those loaded guns pointing into him
>one of them pointing at his crotch
N O P E
O
P
E
>>
>>51706637
But there's already mundane explosives and guns in the setting.
>>
>>51704043
that sounds like hell, if i wanted to care that much about travelling i would go back playing AD&D
>>
>>51706606
It let you shoot at melee without penalty.
It let you use extra attack with crossbows.
It gives you one more attack if you use hand crossbow.

>>51706618
You should actually read PHB.
> When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you're holding in one hand, you can use a bonus action to atlack with a different light melee weapon that you're holding in the other hand.
> LIGHT MELEE WEAPON
> MELEE
>>
>>51706637
Eberron must make your fucking head explode.
>>
>>51706627
Yes. That's the whole point. It make hand crossbow the best ranged weapon in the game.
>>
Sorcerers now cast using Constitution.

What does this fix?
>>
>>51706618
>>51706650
The crossbow expert feat doesn't say "You're holding in the other hand". It's not TWF at all.
>>
>>51706655
Interesting tidbit:Eberron doesn't have guns.

Which makes the artificier kinda weird.
>>
>>51706506

>Can shoot as often as you fucking like because even without crossbow mastery you only make one shot per action/bonusaction/etc
What about reloading? You get a max of two shots - one in each hand - before you have to reload. And you need a free hand to reload.

Even if you get extra attack you can't benefit from it unless you're just holding one crossbow.

>>51706442
I meant that you get one shot, with two rolls, for crossbow. With melee, you get two attacks, and if you get advantage, four rolls. At worst, melee has equal chances to hit, at best, it's four chances to get a sneak attack in. And that's before multiclassing for extra attack.
>>
>>51706660
nothing at all
>>
>>51706655
Are you implying it isn't an inherently different setting?
>>
>>51706660
Sorcerers now trade in the "best" mental stat for health and con saves. Their out of combat bonuses diminish and they fall even further behind Wizards and other full casters.
>>
>>51706680
How do you reliably get 2 advantage in row?

Arcane Trickster is still the best for HELP ACTION SPAM Owl familiar though.
>>
>>51706686
let them use Persuasion (CON) and Intimidation (CON) too. Maybe even Deception (CON).
>>
>>51706683
The fun part is that you never once specified a setting. "D&D" is not a setting. I could see if you were ranting about guns being added to Greyhawk, maybe, but you never once picked a setting to get your panties in a bunch about. Just D&D in general.
>>
>>51706639
Alchemy isn't chemistry, despite some shared characteristics.

If Artificers used real world concepts they would be Inventors, with Chemist and Engineer archetypes.
>>
>>51706680
You only need one hand crossbow. You don't need to hold two.
Nothing says you need to hold two different crossbows to get the extra attack.
>>
>>51706703
Forgotten Realms is the default setting.
>>
>>51706695
Well, considering the three-shot crossbow relies on multiclassing, multiclass melee rogue into warlock for darkness+devil's sight.

>>51706713
That's requiring a multiclass though. I thought we were talking straight swashbuckler vs straight crossbow rogue.
>>
>>51706702
It makes up for the difference a bit, but now it's starting to feel gimmicky, and this isn't really a sorcerer at this point, cause a sorcerer relies on power of the self, which is Charisma.

You could instead make a con based caster from scratch.
>>
File: crawford.jpg (101KB, 644x572px) Image search: [Google]
crawford.jpg
101KB, 644x572px
>>51706720
Wrong.

Crawford has clarified this numerous times, which is why the DMG/PHB always include multiple explanations of plausible deities and even includes Krynn ones.
>>
>>51706713
Sorry, not multiclass for the free crossbow shot. But for a third one you need a multiclass. Talking to too many people.
>>
>>51706742
You get to make an extra attack as a bonus action as part of the feat.

So it becomes
1d6+DEXMOD (hand crossbow actoin) + 1d6+DEXMOD (hand crossbow bonus action)
compared to
1d6+DEXMOD (shortsword action) + 1d6 (shortswords bonus action)
Of course, the shortswords don't require a feat, but you have to use daggers if you want to make two weapon attacks at a distance otherwise for 2d4+DEXMOD damage. And that's a distance of 20ft instead of 30ft.

And then sneak attacks.

>>51706753
Oh, right. Well, multiclassing is pretty great on rogue, though most of them are more suited to melee combat (Monk's bonus attack, barbarian being pretty okay in melee anyway and potentially grappling, a fighter or barbarian using shieldmaster for bonus action shoves)
>>
>>51706720
Mearls and Crawford said that their first modules are FR but the "setting" for 5E is supposed to be the multiverse, which is why ToEE is Greyhawk. Also because a shitload of people chimped out on them on twitter for even suggesting "the Realm" is the default setting.
>>
>>51706752
Fucking multiverse. As long as Kender aren't introduced.
>>
>>51706639
What's to stop a PC Alchemist from then deciding, oh hey, what if I compact this exploding dust in a tube and use its ignition to propel objects out of the tube at a dangerous velocity? What if then teach this a whole bunch of apprentice alchemists, who I instruct to mass-produce this exploding powder and these object-launching tubes, which I then provide the military of a nation of my choice with?

Well, I guess through a few sensible leaps in logic, that alchemist has suddenly armed a nation with cannons and muskets and has revolutionized the basics of warfare in the setting.
>>
File: King Hekaton.png (86KB, 171x189px) Image search: [Google]
King Hekaton.png
86KB, 171x189px
>>51706791
Stop pushing the boundaries.
>>
>>51706763
Ultimately, then, for straight Rogue it boils down to:

>increased range/reduced threat, at cost of one ASI
vs
>decreased versatility/higher threat

But also bear in mind that ASI could be used to bump up DEX - and if not DEX, then CHA, which combos with the Swashbucklering I was defending originally to increase Initiative (as well as bolster standard Rogue abilities like lying, persuasion, etc.).

If we're veering into multiclass, you can get three shots off with the crossbow for the same costs, but melee potentially benefits from:

>BB/GFB cantrips
>Two Weapon Fighting
>Darkness/Devil's Sight (ranged can benefit from this too, but you're already in theory getting advantage from cover)
>Same Extra Attack as for the third crossbow shot

Ultimately, for raw damage and survivability on a straight Rogue, you're not wrong that ranged is better - and it allows you to take a different archetype from Swashbuckler without much concern. But I think you're underestimating what you can do with a melee rogue.
>>
>>51706791
What's to stop a PC Wizard from decided, oh hey, what if I inscribe a shitload of copies of Fire Bolt and teach it to a whole bunch of apprentices, who I instruct to scribe Fire Bolt, to teach to everyone, which I then provide to the military of a nation of my choice with?

Well, I guess through a few sensible leaps in logic, that wizard has suddenly armed a nation with fire bolts and has revolutionized the basics of warfare in the setting.
>>
Any tips to avoid making Edgelord or Snowflake characters?
>>
>>51706817
Hand a man a gun, he can kill tonight, teach a man the theory and methodolgy in harnessing the weave in a specific manner and you have a confused man.
>>
>>51706791
The same thing that stops housecats from taking over the local village by swiping commoners to death in 4 attacks, with their superior AC and to hit stats than your average person.
>>
>>51706791
I suppose the same thing that stops armies from using repeating crossbows and oil bombs in the D&D setting.

There's zero reason to have people on horses hitting each other with pikes with the high powered crossbows that exist in the setting. It'd probably end up a lot closer to WW1 trench warfare, ala Warhammer Fantasy RP.

Also militarized casters. The trouble comes in when you demand to know how many "PC tier" people exist in the population and what they're doing. If none of them but the PCs exist, your problem doesn't exist. If they do, where are they, what are they doing, and why haven't they started their own nations or taking over a military anyways?
>>
>>51706822
Have a good reason to be adventuring with the party.
>>
>>51706791
Thankfully the Thunder Cannon costs 100 gp each to make, which is a shit ton compared to the minor 2d6. Yeah you have quite a range, but a heavy crossbow, something everyone will know how to use already, is d10, one one damage die less that adds ability score to damage.

Also ammunition would have to be in constant production, and without things such as the factory or other more advanced manufacturing techniques, the bullets would also be expensive to make.

If you counter that point with just train a bunch of artificers to constantly make ammo for this, how about instead you save that and just make wizards, it would be easier and you get 2d10 firebolt damage quick, scrying, and fireball.

Basically the reason gunpowder isn't already common place is because there are better and more affordable options to mass produce.
>>
>>51706831
Hand a man a medieval musket, he can shoot one poorly aimed musketball, become confused on how to swab and reload his musket, panic and you have a confused man as well.
>>
>>51706822
Imagine the character being an asshole to you in a party, an original character you would be more ok with. A special snowflake would make it more annoying.
>>
>>51706822
Don't kill their parents. Start with a stereotype of their race and/or class, and add twists and tweaks from there, justifying each one as you go.
>>
>>51706817
>>51706862
There's a vast difference between teaching someone how to maintain, load, aim and fire a primitive firearm and teaching someone enough arcane theory that they're able to manipulate the Weave well enough to perform cantrips.
>>
>>51706812
Once you've maxed out dex, you really don't need the ASIs for other things. You'd have to weigh the ASI against lucky or dual wielder or some other feat, because a variant human could easily get a feat at the sacrifice of maybe only having +1 dex instead of +2. Though they might miss out on some minor racial bonuses and darkvision which would be useful.

I, myself, did say earlier that there is some potential in melee rogues.
They can still use daggers (Or maybe even a whip) if they need a bit of range, they have boomingblade/greenflameblade combos...

It's worth mentioning, darkness works better for a ranged rogue because if the darkness is around an enemy but not around you and you have the 'alert' feat (which a lot of assassins take) then even without devil's sight the enemy will have disadvantage to hit you. But that's a minor point.

I'd put it like this -

Regular rogues should use hand crossbows.
Skilled AT players can try messing about with a combination of TWF and booming blade / green flame blade, using whatever fits the situation. They can always get 'mobile' if needed.
Multiclassed rogues should normally be melee.

The only place there for swashbucklers is for perhaps multiclassed melee rogues since they might get benefits such as extra attacks for disengagement or BB/GFB. Otherwise, if you're melee, might as well just go AT.
>>
>>51706858
Thunder Cannon still is a ranged weapon, it uses dex.
>>
>>51706822
Edgelords
- motivated by killing
- aloof, nothin' personnel kid attitude
- wears all black/spikey shit for the sake of looking bad ass, but everyone else is dressed regularly so you look like a retard

Snowflake
- way too improbable backstory that makes them unnecessarily important
- somehow finds a way to be related to anything that's going on, and if they aren't, will butt their nose into it to make sure they are
- needs to be more different, more unique, etc

Basically just try to play a character that makes sense. It's okay to have a quirk or two but don't be a walking stereotype or a bundle of cliches.

Most people are going to become an adventurer for
- money
- revenge (this can still be done without being a fedora tipping memelord; someone that actually wants revenge is going to be tight lipped, keep that shit close to their chest and waiting for the opportunity to be in the right place and the right time to make it happen)
- is a thrill seeker
- ideology (making the world safer/charting the world/establishing trade routes)
- obligation (has no choice; the world is actually in danger and no one else knows it, or the player is somehow responsible for setting BBEG into motion by freeing him accidentally et c and needs to make it right)
>>
>>51706883
Humans, maybe. But there's lots of races that just get cantrips for free. Like elves. Suddenly you've got an elf military of fire bolt slingers.
>>
>>51706929
New thread.
>>
>>51706931
Racial Longbows are pretty much superior.
>>
>>51706915
This seems reasonable. I'm glad we could have this logical and amicable discussion and arrive at a mutual agreement that I was right all along :^)
>>
>>51706558

>How is it for free?

The for free part. Remember? The whole reason you're embarking on this orgy of munchkinism, to cheat and make the game a more boring, easy place?

>He'd need to spend a shitload of time getting the barrels,

oh boy, fucking barrels, wherever will I find such rare and wondrous components for my munchkinry arsenal?

>evaporating/treating the piss
for free

>harvesting the salt peter

for free

>the sulphur

for free

>the charcoal

for free

>refining it
for free

>making the barrels

for free

>transporting the barrels...

oh no you have to TRANSPORT your big fucking bombs? tell me its not so

>Or I could just be a wizard and throw a fireball.

a daily fuckin spell slot, but why use a fireball when you could do it for free, or better yet, dump a bajillion barrels on someone for a free meteor swarm?

>You're overreacting like a fragile manbaby.

"Hey Mr DM, can I get free shit that will allow me to trivialize encounters? actually it costs me TEN GOLD PIECES so its balanced!"

"Sure, I hate it when players have to use creativity, skill or determination, its much better if they can plow through 99% of encounters with no risk or effort."

Munchkins are similar to optimizers, except an optimizer uses rules to benefit himself, while a munchkin ... whines, pisses himself and bleats to the DM to award him free shit, which he then uses to benefit himself.
>>
>>51703519
Regular initiative
Grid movement, every other diagonal is two squares of movement so space is preserved
I try to describe stuff
I use fighting spirit so that people have the ability to change strategy on the fly and the healer stopping their damage isn't the only defensive strategy.
>>
>>51706580
>I would probably make the peasants refuse/complain/demand food,

Oh no, I must add very close to nothing to the still-nonexistent price of hiring them to do things nobody cares about... damn, guess it'd be better for me to spend all of my spell slots that I could be using to do nearly anything else instead of spending 1/10h of my budget I had at level 2. All so I (if you recall the origins of the "skeletons replacing peasants" argument) can get my genocide boner on. Brilliant!
>>
>>51706580
>Except oil exists, isn't a house rule, and doesn't make anything easier.

The whole point of bringing up gunpowder was so a munchkin could have the DM give him welfare so he could trivialize encounters.

Your deception skills are honestly terrible.

"hey one charge of gunpowder does 1d2! you should allow me it, its so low powered so I can stockpile 1000 charges of gunpowder in one spot and instakill Orcus!"

Or more likely, 4d6, so you can get a pile of free fireballs, but the whole point of the exercise is to get a massive bonus for nothing.
>>
>>51706956
Mad because bad.

Barrels cost money. Unless now we're multiclassing as a fighter or a barbarian and chopping down fucking trees ourselves, then making them into boards, treating the wood, and shaping it into barrels. Now I have to get iron ore, forge it into bands, and actually create the barrels.

Have you every tried to make a barrel? No? I didn't think so. It takes a lot of time and energy. Let's just ignore that and say you buy your barrels. These aren't barrels of indestructionium. Every time you make a barrel bomb, the barrel blows up after. It's gone. It costs you money.

Same thing for making piss/salt peter/and refining it. It's not free. You have to treat and harvest it. This literally takes time and energy. We're going to assume you spend more gold to set up some peasants/a factory/etc. That's fine too. Now you're literally building and storing an incredibly volatile substance that your DM can easily fuck with. He can fuck with your barrel supply. He can make it take DAYS and alchemist skill checks to produce and refine this.

Also yes, transporting a heavy fucking barrel full of explosive is neither cheap, nor SAFE. You make it sound like the wizard just strolls into combat and opens his robe and a barrel bomb rolls out and OHKO's the BBEG. You're an absolute cockthirsting faggot. This ENTIRE endeavour requires a shitload of creativity, skill, and determination, as opposed to casting fireball, or running up and hitting a man with your sword. There's nothing munchkin or optimized about it. A Lore Bard cribbing spells from Ranger/Paladin lists would vastly outperform this. And in less time.

BUT NO, THE ALCHEMIST THAT TAKES WEEKS OF TIME OUTSIDE OF COMBAT TO MAKE BARREL BOMBS IS DEMANDING FREE SHIT.

You are fucking retarded. How are you going to dump a "bajillion" barrels on someone AND then ignite them? Is this a magical free action? Do we now have a fucking zeppelin to drop them from the sky?

You have zero argument.
>>
>>51707009
That's not welfare nor would it trivialize any encounter. How would he manage to get the gunpowder under Orcus? Why would a fireball, even ten fireballs, kill Orcus?

Also, he already stated that his charges would do 2d6 and then capped at 4d6. Why are you so insistent that he's "lying" to you when he brought up the idea to the thread in general and not to you?
>>
>>51706564
Swords are onehanded. You can attack with a sword then shoot a loaded crossbow.
>>
>>51706625
>because it will NEVER be as good as magic.

>and gunpowder isn't even close to fireball in terms of potency.

Fireball: Requires an action and expenditure of a daily power. Can't cast 100 fireballs in one round.

Gunpowder: Requires like 10 gold pieces of materials (or whatever) and a donkey, zombie, or whatever. Can, in fact, stack a bajillion barrel bombs to trivialize encounters, and IS THE BLATANTLY OBVIOUS POINT OF THE WHOLE EXERCISE.

A Fireball is an extremely, EXTREMELY expensive way to deal 8d6 in an area.
A gunpowder barrel bomb is a virtually free way to deal 4d6 in an area (or whatever).
>>
>>51707053
>bajillion

How is a donkey supposed to carry that many barrels? How long does the DM ignore the alchemist to let him make a warehouse of barrels?

How does a barrel bomb trivialize an encounter when the enemy does not run up to the barrel and let himself be exploded? How does a barrel bomb kill enemies that are immune to fire damage?

How does a barrel bomb kill enemies that require magic weapons to overcome their resistances?

How is a barrel bomb "virtually free" when it costs actual gold to create?
>>
>>51706655

There is nothing pertinent to Eberron about the conversation, although I am sure you will spout falsehoods based off your misunderstanding of Eberron (an ultrarare and mostly defunct kind of minor artifact is the explanation for a race -> factories that produce magic items EVERYWHERE, etc)
>>
>>51707053
But fireball is really cheap. I can throw a few, sleep, wake up, and throw a few more. I can probably throw more fireballs per day than I can make entire barrels of gunpowder in a day.

You know how much material you need to make an ENTIRE barrel of gunpowder? It's a lot, mate. That's like a week of work, for one barrel.
>>
>>51706564
So why are handcrossbows called onehanded if they're actually 2?

Why make them one-handed unless you can put a shield or second weapon with it? They don't need to be one-handed just so you can draw ammo or anything. Ranged weapons let you draw ammo as part of their attack (phb), which is why bows can still draw but be two-handed.
>>
>>51706752
Awesome.
>>
>>51707090
Yeah, and only an alchemist is smart enough to refine and make saltpeter, so it'd still be like a level 5 PC needing to do it, which puts a kibosh on "the peasants are making gunpowder!11!!"
>>
>>51706791
Guns aren't even 0.0000001% a problem balance wise. I don't mind guns in my game per se -- they've never been a factor of brokenness in D&D. They are spend an action -> do an attack that hurts somebody, and underground, they are spend an action -> do an action that hurts somebody -> alert the first 20 roomfulls of monsters to your location and presence.

The main problem with gunpowder is the same as, say, symbols/etc. in 3e, which is when you stack a bajillion charges in one spot and instakill everything, or at the very least, very cheaply break the action economy and weed out the goobers and badly hurt the tough guys with no real effort.
>>
>>51706817

How would that revolutionize warfare at all? Do apprentices curbstomp veterans and knights suddenly?
>>
>>51707143
But again, this requires the PCs to waste a shitload of time outside of combat and creating some kind of killing floor to place the charges in and lure the enemy towards it. It's incredibly impractical and only works if the DM allows the party to lure some creature to their designated boomboom zone, which no DM would do, at least not with an intelligent enemy/BBEG.

It's no different than the old "kill the tarrasque with peasants by digging a big hole and drowning him" schtick. It only goes as far as you let it.
>>
>>51706850

>There's zero reason to have people on horses hitting each other with pikes

Works fine, really.
>>
>>51707155
Fire Bolt is 120 feet of distance.

If you think an average peasant can hit someone 120 feet away with a musket, and that muskets do more damage than a Fire Bolt, then no, apprentices don't stomp knights suddenly.

That's why this entire argument is silly. Guns are not any more potent than a fire bolt. Even comparing a gun to a high powered crossbow gets pretty comparable when looking at medieval black powder guns.
>>
>>51707019
>We're going to assume you spend more gold to set up some peasants/a factory/etc.

Oh no, you have to spend trivial amounts of money (that you would otherwise buy something cutesy and irrelevant like a stronghold or inn on) to curb stomp everything forever. Poor babby.

>He can make it take DAYS and alchemist skill checks to produce and refine this.

ie. for free.

>You make it sound like the wizard just strolls into combat and opens his robe and a barrel bomb rolls out and OHKO's the BBEG

Sorry munchkin, the plan was already revealed, jihad zombies etc. Jihad cows also work. Nothing new under the sun.

>Mad

Someone reduced to groveling to DMs in the desperate hope that he rewards them with welfare isn't anything to be "mad" about.
>>
>>51706763
Rogues don't get extra attack? They're martials! There are full casters that get second attack what the heck?
>>
>>51707230
You realize the zombie jihad guy is a player in a campaign where that's already happening, and the guy who wants to make barrel bombs is a totally separate person, right?

And it's not for free. I don't know a single DM that lets the party put the game on hold to spend a month stockpiling gunpowder and barrels.
>>
>>51707167
> waste a shitload of time outside of combat

Now I would have to ration time, whereas normally I don't really give a shit, because any downtime will result in the munchkin stockpiling 1000 doses of gunpowder.

>which no DM would do
Some monsters are legitimately stupid, and yes, I would have most intelligent and relatively savvy monsters fuck with PCs who try this garbage, but its still a gimmick I have no interest in. Its also giving the players something for nothing, its not my style to hand out welfare to players.

Giving someone a houserule that is useless unless they wrack their brains trying to abuse it is totally fucking pointless and annoying.
>>
>>51706649
Eh, it's for a hexcrawl campaign and the point of the system is to give the players as much control as possible, instead of distances and travel times being DM fiat.
>>
>>51707155
When it comes to warfare, it's best to assume that 95% of a war's participants will be CR 1/8s that are equipped and trained as cheaply as possible. Knights and veterans are unlikely to be faced. Instead, the vast majority of foes you encounter in battle are likely enlisted peasants armed with whatever their lord could scrounge up.

If you would be able to train peasants to cast cantrips on a large scale, then you would have peasants that have no need to be equipped, that are capable of inflicting 1d10 fire damage on enemies up to 120 feet away.

Except it's nowhere near as simple as just teaching peasants cantrips. Casting a cantrip requires an understanding on the Weave that commoners don't possess - except for high elves, and they're likely to learn cantrips that assist them in their day-to-day lives rather than learn Fire Bolt for whatever reason.
Even then, if you do somehow teach your peasant population how to cast Fire Bolt, congratulations. You've given all the tools they need for a successful revolt, you fucking moron. Weapons can be taken away, the ability to spontaneously blast someone with fire or set an inanimate flammable object on fire at will cannot.
>>
>>51707294
>Muh Weave

Forgotten Realms is shit
>>
>>51707184
Well, bows have a hell of a lot better range than frikkin 120, so I guess I legitimately don't see what there is to be excited about fire bolt.

> Guns are not any more potent than a fire bolt

Right.

Guns aren't going to have much of an impact in most settings.
>>
>>51707327
You're still teaching a commoner an understanding of whatever system of magic your plane uses.

Teaching someone how to break the laws of physics by casting a spell isn't as simple as "say these words and makes these gestures." If it was, literally everyone would be able to cast every level of wizard spells.
>>
>>51707255
>You realize the zombie jihad guy is a player in a campaign where that's already happening,

a guy responded and said "I would like to do the same, but the DM would probably only have my exploding zombies do 1d6." Hence the argument.

Why, I'm pretty sure I could rig some BarrelGoats on leashes to zombies.

>I don't know a single DM that lets the party put the game on hold to spend a month stockpiling gunpowder and barrels.

Now I fucking have to budget the time between sessions to keep BarrelGoats from destroying the world? No thanks. I personally don't envision most fantasy world heroes to be in a continuous battle for survival, otherwise I would think elves, for example, would have only a slightly older lifespan than humans.

The point of this fit of munchkinry is to convert stuff that is not normally synonymous with power (downtime+piddling amounts of GP) into extra explosions.
>>
>>51707294
>it's best to assume that 95% of a war's participants will be CR 1/8s that are equipped and trained as cheaply as possible.

I don't believe in the whole Reverse Darwin's Law thing.
Me, I'm going to assume military engagements use a similar encounter/challenge curve as, oh... everything else in the entire game?

But yes, I like the jist of the latter half of your post. You now have an army of magical arsonists.

High elves should blow everyone's mind since they have armies with bows and fire bolts, even the CR 1/8 guys (and they're eternally young and fertile to boot, which may or may not count for something numbers wise).
>>
>>51707392
>he doesn't budget time

I'm glad I'm not in any of your games.
>>
>>51704962
Life cleric does not have to make combat healing good to belong in the same place as a war cleric. To bring it back to the original point.
>>
>>51707465
wow, I better have all my campaigns run adventures on a day to day basis so that barrel goats don't implode the world, thanks tg
>>
>>51704962
combat healing was MOSTLY nonviable in 3e and earlier, because you MOSTLY have to spend your turn to do so. Of course, Heal, for example, disagrees.

in 4e and 5e, bonus/whatever action healing is still plenty useful.
>>
>>51707488
No one even mentioned goats. You added goats yourself. You have some kind of aspberger's or are definitely on the spectrum because you weaved an elaborate attack against yourself and started ranting and railing against points that no one brought up, but yourself. It's some sort of persecution complex or some shit man, I don't know.

I'm glad my DM is cool with this kind of shit and will just let me have 4d6 barrel bombs in my downtime but elsewise keeps the party engaged with his story, so there isn't even an opportunity to go off the handle down some bizarre sideplot where I make a bomb factory (which I don't even want to do?).
>>
>>51707485
>>51707498
They already said Healing Word was good, which is the bonus healing.

Outside of that, healing in combat is still nonviable.
>>
>>51707504
The goats part is me mocking whatever sort of dumb fucking zombie powered device you'd be using to break the campaign, obviously.

>eehehehehe if I keep calling them 4d6 barrel bombs maybe people won't realize I can put two bombs together to make 8d6, etc. I'm so clever!!!

>the party engaged with his story

I don't know why the only way to keep a party "engaged" is to have each session be chained together day to day. Not that there's any particular requirement to have more than that, but carefully allocating time just to prevent the Barrelpocalypse is not my cup of tea.
>>
>>51707461
Almost every high elf commoner is going to get one of the following instead:
>Mage Hand, for getting items that are out of reach. Most likely used by gatherers, for things such as picking fruit.
>Mending, for fixing items that suffer basic wear and tear. Any sort of craftsman is likely to use this for tool maintenance.
>Message, for communication in a location like a castle. Very useful for servants, secretaries and other things.
>Prestidigitation, for basic quality of life for literally anyone. Make a bland meal taste wonderful, washing dishes and cutlery has never been so easy, etcetera.

Even professional combatants aren't very likely to pick up combat cantrips. You'd need a very martial culture of high elves for that.
>>
>>51707567

Really depends on how many high elves they're gonna be around, or even how they decide upon the Cantrip in question.
>>
>>51707557
But you can't just stick two bombs together to make 8d6. That's not how bombs work.

You need help, man. You were abused by a powergamer or something as a child and are conjuring up ghosts where they don't exist.
>>
>>51707567
>not using Fire Bolt to knock your fruit down, start fires for warmth, cooking your food, starting your forge, or tempering metal

Peasant. You know nothing of my elfpeople.
>>
>>51707599
If the bomb stacking has diminishing returns, then just roll them in one after the other on a fuse.
>>
>>51707599
>But you can't just stick two bombs together to make 8d6. That's not how bombs work.

Trying to deflect from your true intentions again? Sad.

Round 1: I blow up a bomb. It does 4d6.
Round 2: I blow up a bomb. It does 4d6.

Now if only there was a way to make two bombs in two different squares blow up at the same time. Wow, I could light a fuse connecting to two bombs, I could cast a Fireball and hit them both, etc.

Your goal is a transparently obvious desire to get free 4d6 damage here and there, plus (ARBITRARY UNLIMITED AMOUNT OF DAMAGE) when you actually have need of it.

>where they don't exist

Again, we already know what your plan would be, and you act as if any of your ideas are new. People have been doing this shit for decades.
>>
>>51707557
What'd you do in 3.5 to stop players from bringing about the Explosiverunepocalypse?

Also how do you plan on stopping players from bringing about the explosivebarrelpocalypse in 5E that decide to use alchemist's fire? After all, by your logic, you can stack things, so if I throw two alchemist's fire, I get double damage. I'm going to throw two thousand. At Orcus. And I'll do it legally by filling catapults with them. And I'll teach the peasants how to do it.
>>
>>51707628
>muh free damage

I thought your whole argument hinged on this happening in a single turn? I could just use Firebolt Round 1 and Round 2. And keep doing that.

>now it's shifted to "we already know"

There's no one left here but me and you. And I never designed to make a bomb factory, or blow up Orcus or create infinite barrels. You're a deranged man that is escalating things in a game you'll never be part of, where I am actually going to get barrel bombs, and they won't break the game.
>>
>>51707628
How is he going to place the bombs in the same spot but blow them up at different times over two different rounds?

Why is the enemy standing by the barrel still after they saw the first one blow up?

I don't know if you really thought this through.
>>
>>51706038
Monk capstone perfect self should include +2 to all stats, max 22. I'm cool with empty body.
>>
>>51706060
So it's a limited form of 1/3 of the crossbow expert feat. That's just a different flavor of shit.
>>
>>51707629
>What'd you do in 3.5 to stop players from bringing about the Explosiverunepocalypse?

People's condescending attitude that using wizards to deal hit point damage, or that bothering with hit point damage in general, is too pleb tier to bother with. 3e doesn't really have much in the way of balance in any respect, so its more of a chaotic funhouse. Think Star Trek.

>something peasants and catapults

Hire a bunch of dudes to perform attack actions? Wow I've never thought about that.
>>
>tfw anti-barrelfag's nightmare already came true because of the Artificer UA who can literally make 4d6 firebombs for free
>>
>>51707643
>I thought your whole argument hinged on this happening in a single turn?

My point is that obviously detonating a separate barrel bomb on subsequent rounds works, so obviously your goal would be to rig multiple bombs to go off at once.

>>51707658

>How is he going to place the bombs in the same spot but blow them up at different times over two different rounds?

It was an example to point out that even if you can't put two bombs in one barrel to do double damage, you can still, presumably, put two barrels next to each other. Which is the point of the exercise -- destroying a campaign with barrel bomb stockpiling.
>>
>>51707698
Technically if you put two barrel bombs next to each other, the one blast will actually destroy the other bomb unless you have a very sophisticated timing mechanism. This is why people DON'T just bundle bombs together in real life. That kind of mechanism would require a lot of gold or at least magic.
>>
>>51707629
Oil and alchemist's fire don't explode. They set things on fire. An enemy doused in oil that is set aflame takes 5 fire damage, no matter how much oil. Similarly, an enemy that has been hit by alchemist's fire takes 1d4 fire damage at the start of each of its turns until it's put out, no matter how alchemist's fire has hit it.
>>
>>51707691
as an attack, he can't just put 40 alchemy bombs in your pants and have his high elf peasant fire bolt your dong to inflict uber damage
>>
>>51707698
Ireland was never destroyed by barrel bomb stockpiling so I don't think Eberron, Greyhawk or the Forgotten Realms would be.

Even if the PCs managed to blow up a town (which they could arguably burn down or do anyways), barrel bombs are incredibly impractical in combat and easily nullified entirely by flying enemies, or enemies immune to fire, etc.

You're not a very good DM if you're afraid about mundane bombs. Explosive Runes still exists. I guess you were bothered by the fact that you can make a bomb for "cheap", but I value time more than gold. I could easily make 200 GP per week of downtime in 5E, and use it to cast Glyph of Warding, effectively stockpiling it. Gyph is 5d8 as well. And I can set conditions for the explosion in the area.

Or, I could spend a week of downtime trying to make a crude bomb that does 4d6 but doesn't cost me anything. It's actually a net loss compared to cheesing Glyph of Warding.
>>
>>51707707
I'll have to remember that the next time Assad tricks me into letting barrel bombs into my campaign
>>
>>51707710
A wizard would never be able to put 40 alchemy bombs in your pants in the first place.
>>
>>51707738
Its less about "blowing up a town" (you can probably run around shanking peasants for quite awhile) and more about obliterating an encounter very easy.

>You're not a very good DM if you're afraid about mundane bombs.

Which is why I guess they nerfed Explosive Runes to a CRAZY fucking extent, because bombing shit is so nonviable?

>Explosive Runes still exists.

Read the fine print.

>but I value time more than gold.

I don't really find sessions that are minutes, hours, or days apart to be all that different, sorry.

>And I can set conditions for the explosion in the area.

Read the fucking fine print.

>It's actually a net loss compared to

Its a net nothing since its free and you're comparing it to something that you haven't read the fine print on.
>>
>>51707753

Well the point is that artificers can't bank their shit.
>>
Since we're power-gaming:
>A flask of oil contains 1 pint.
>1 pint of oil covers a 5-foot-square area.
>A barrel can hold up to 40 gallons of liquid.
>1 gallon is equal to 8 pints.
>40 gallons are equal to 320 pints.
>A barrel of oil will cover 320 5-foot-square areas.
>If lit, the oil burns for 2 rounds and deals 5 fire damage to any creature that enters the area or ends its turn in the area. A creature can take this damage only once per turn.

Not really good for anything other than taking out a warren of goblins or kobolds with ease but at least it only costs 34gp.
>>
>>51707785
https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Glyph%20of%20Warding#content

There is no fine print. You can literally make a rape alley and cast Glyph of Warding in it 50 times.

>Duration Until dispelled or triggered

The only fiat is the 200 GP, which again, 1 week spent making an ENTIRE BARREL of gunpowder for 4d6, vs 1 week spent making 200 gp to cast Glyph for 5d8.
>>
>>51707805

That is good for 34gp.
>>
>>51707805
To be fair, as a DM, if the players poured FOURTY GALLONS OF OIL and set it on fire, I would definitely increase the damage from more than 5. Heat is cumulative. There's a reason the steel frame of the WTC started to warp. Jet fuel can't melt steel beams, but a hot fire in an enclosed area will hit 1500c no problem. The fire would also spread like crazy. Not to mention smoke and asphyxiation.
>>
>>51706465
The DMG has stats for gunpowder and bombs. They aren't terribly impressive, depending on how you get them.
>>
>>51707819

>There is no fine print

You can move the fucking barrel, is the point. Some moving creatures can even move more than one barrel at a time.
>>
>>51707848
Just noticed they had stats for cannons too. First fucking time you can hit ANYTHING with cannons too, it seems.

No price though it looks like. Gay
>>
>>51707844
That's exactly the problem though. 34gp for 10 damage spread across two rounds and 320 5-foot-square areas is balanced enough.

By houseruling that it would do more damage, you're making these barrelbombs into tools that players would utilize over actual fighting. It's something that would warp gameplay.
>>
Holy shit pistols and muskets have TERRIBLE range, was this taken straight from d20 modern (in which bows also had nerfed range)? Crazy.
>>
>>51707909
So are pushing boulders off of cliffs and onto something. It doesn't warp gameplay if you treat time as a resource, which it is.

You either end up with a completely retarded scenario

>Yeah the boulder falls from the top of the mountain and hits the man, but he's got good HP and a high con so he shrugs the boulder off

or

>omg you just instakilled my NPC with a boulder you metagaming munchkin shit

Take some responsibility as a DM and govern the players. My players don't run off the fucking rails making barrel bomb factories because I let them have a 4d6 barrel. Gameplay can only be warped if you allow it.
>>
>>51707938

>So are pushing boulders off of cliffs and onto something

Stockpiling a fairly limited and unreliable attack that requires setup as well as some effort, only works in specific outdoor encounters, etc., vs a portable nonmagical way to deal lots of damage with few limits. Not really the same.
>>
File: 5e kegs of gunpowder.jpg (48KB, 340x273px) Image search: [Google]
5e kegs of gunpowder.jpg
48KB, 340x273px
>>51707964
>>
File: gunpowder barrel.jpg (59KB, 377x325px) Image search: [Google]
gunpowder barrel.jpg
59KB, 377x325px
>>51707964

The funny part is that the DMG gives gunpowder way more damage than the guy was asking for and you're accusing him of being a munchkin. He's actually weakening the item.
>>
File: Cost of gunpowder.jpg (11KB, 337x100px) Image search: [Google]
Cost of gunpowder.jpg
11KB, 337x100px
As for the price...

It definitely ain't free. But that's not to say that PC's can't make it. It definitely exists. And it has a cost.
>>
>>51707982
>>51708013

So long as we're talking about 100% OPTIONAL shit in the DMG, why are you even bothering mentioning gunpowder? OPTIONALLY letting people buy, or make magic items are a far more interesting, and obviously crazy-go-nuts, rule.

But yes, I am aware that some optional rules have crazy-go-nuts implications. Go on.
>>
>>51708102
>implying that everything in the DMG isn't 100% optional because Rule 0
>even playing D&D is 100% optional

Go on.
>>
>>51708036

> But that's not to say that PC's can't make it. It definitely exists.

"Definitely" is stating your case a bit too strongly when the section is explicitly for optional rules alone.
>>
>>51708143
>implying that everything in the DMG isn't 100% optional because Rule 0

However you cut it, citing an optional rule isn't really going to impress me.
>>
>>51708187
>optional rule

Spicy
>>
>>51708194
The DMG specifically refers to it as an optional rule and that you should probably only add one or two of these optional rules at a time.
>>
>>51708194
So, how frequently do your players use their healing surges? Do they take good care of their honor scores? Are their initiative scores any good?
>>
>>51708216
>Rule 0
>optional

Neck yourself
>>
>>51708236
Frequently.
Not so much.
Pretty good.
>>
>>51708216
So are feats. What's your point?
>>
>>51708236
Initiative is on the base player sheet it's not optional.

Also, who uses healing surges? That's what spending hit die in a long rest does.
>>
>>51708299
>implying the player sheet isn't optional

I don't use initiatives.
>>
>>51708299
*short rest.
>>
>>51708307
Then it's a house rule to remove it, not an optional one to add it.
>>
>>51708299
Initiative is core. Initiative scores are not.
>>
>>51708291
Did you miss the "and that you should probably only add one or two of THESE optional rules at a time" part? Laser packs, honor points, etc. are a bit different.

If we are talking about all optional stuff in the DM's guide, then lets cut to the chase. Skip gunpowder bombs, the real crazy go nuts optional thing from the DM's guide is letting people buy and make magic items as a general thing to the degree in 3e and 4e.

The point is overall the same -- using GP as a fairly direct resource to improve your power -- but if we're just gonna put optional weird DM guide stuff all on the same level, I'd just skip to magic items.
>>
>>51707610
I've played enough games to know that when you hunt with fire spells all you get is charcoal and tears.
>>
>>51708307

I've actually adopted Savage Worlds initiative for DND5, as in I use a deck of cards with jokers left in. It plays way smoother and faster in my opinion.
>>
>>51706670
>Interesting tidbit:Eberron doesn't have guns.

This Artificer is only superficially based on the Eberron Artificer. The original creator of the setting said so in his blog. The Eberron Artificer is not some kind of steampunk alchemist/gunsmith/chemist/scientist.

He's a magical manipulator and crafter of MAGIC items like wands, scrolls, staves, weapons and armor. He doesn't cast fireball, he doesn't make a gun/flamehtrower, he picks up a stick and makes a one-shot wand of fireball.

He doesn't make magitech armor, he doesn't cast enlarge self, he temporarily infuses a pair of gauntlets to treat them like Gauntlets of Ogre Strength.

He's the spellcaster who chose to focus on crafting, enchanting, and understanding magic items as opposed to casting spells.

But so many people don't get that because it's not usually how magic gets approached. It's like the Flintstones. Instead of having a garbage disposal using gears and pulleys made of stone and wood, you use a pig. Instead of having a plane made of wood and propelled by propellers, you just ride a pterodactyl. Instead of making a crane out of ropes and pulleys, you use a dinosaur.

That's what Eberron does, but with magic.
>>
>>51708464
The Eberron artificer in 3e is really underrated, to be sure.

>The Eberron Artificer is not some kind of steampunk alchemist/gunsmith/chemist/scientist.

Exactly. Everyone seems to think this, but the original 3e Artificer really fits into just about any setting. Everyone seemed to intuitively assume he is LOL CRANKS AND GEARS xD PUT COGS ON MY GOGGLES TO GET COGGLES UPGRADE WITH BUILT IN SMOKESTACK TO GET FOGGLES xDDDD

Its a relatively quiet and simple kind of "caster."
>>
>>51708464
It's effectively just casting spells. But people bitch that they don't cast spells either. People are morons.
>>
>>51708584
The distinction is basically:
1. Artificers can create any scroll/potion/wand/etc. effect, but they (and anyone else) must use Use Magic Device to do so -- Eberron is probably crammed with crappy, non arcane, non divine, spell scrolls and wands that wizards and artificers find, get excited and think they can use or add to their book, and find out its garbage.
2. Infusions can't be put into wands, scrolls, potions, etc.

But yes, you may as well classify it as spells. I do find the concept of a differentiation between stuff you use from your own class/resources, and scrolls/wands/etc., like in Incursion.
>>
>>51707819
>The effects of the same spell cast multi pie times don't combine, however. lnstead, the most potent effect-such as the highest bonus-from those castings applies while their durations overlap.
>>
>>51707281
Then i guess if everyone is on board it's can be a fun strategy mini game
Thread posts: 476
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.