[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tl;dr : what's the best way for players to beat a villain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_2026.jpg (45KB, 774x503px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2026.jpg
45KB, 774x503px
Tl;dr : what's the best way for players to beat a villain that can see the near future?

The villain that I have them against has the ability to see probabilities in a way that effectively lets him know the near future, ala the zero system from gundam.

This villain also has a batman esque physique, and is a renowned swordsman (polish olgeird von everec style), but has no magical talent whatsoever.

What sorts of mental issues would such a person face? What could one exploit to beat them? Although this is meant to be a powerful villain, I absolutely don't want him to be unbeatable or a Gary Stu.

Suggestions /tg/?

(Pic related is makaan, the inspiration for the character)
>>
How near is the near future? Because all you need to do is engineer a situation in the long term that will inevitably lead to his death regardless of what he does. Ozymandias would still have succeeded if Rorschach could see a minute into the future.
>>
Orchestrate a future in which the best option is for the villain to kill himself.

I assume you mean he has some kind of Rain Man math wizardry and not something like Muad'Dib seeing the future so clearly that he can still see after having his eyes put out.
>>
>>51696137
Again drawing on the zero system analogue, the villain can only with near perfect accuracy predict events that are about 0-10 min into the future. However, there's no sharp cutoff, but rather exponentially more difficulty on discerning the correct outcome the farther he looks. He might be able to predict 20 min fairly accurately, but would have hazy Greek oracle style visions of say a month out.

One mechanic I've already implemented is that the villain has "marked" certain lieutenants, and that killing these marked men reduces the vision he has into the medium term future.
>>
>>51696189
It's a mix of the two. The villain acquired this ability when he accidentally bore witness to another individual's ascent to godhood, which fucked up his mind but also gave him these intensely powerful predictive capabilities. Within 5 min, it's like dune visions, but further out its more like rain man
>>
>>51696098
Hit him with a slow acting but extremely deadly poison.
>>
>>51696579
Given that the villain is paranoid as fuck and he's got a physique of steel, that'd be hard but might work.

Certainly won't prevent the players from doing that.
>>
Give him a poison that takes slightly longer than his future sight to show it's effects and kill him.
>>
>>51696098
Engineer a situation that is reasonably convoluted and can be implemented over a long time. Make sure it allows for lots of opportunities to kill the guy, ultimately ending in a situation wherein the villains death is assured no matter the other outcomes. Saying any more would require more information on the setting and its limitations.

As to mental issues, I imagine the main one would be having to constantly calculate shit so as to keep their plans on track and allow them to work shit out on the fly. This could lead them to be pretty much permanently distracted and kinda clumsy. Also paranoid to a fault since they probably accidentally predict every possible way they might die in any given plan or occurrence, making them practically paralyzed with fear.

Also, a sudden and unexpected ambush could be very effective if its all worked off probabilities. If its semi-magical visions style, it ought be possibly to beak them mentally with a sustained assault from multiple people of significant skill.
>>
>>51696098
This may or may not work depending on how his probability guessing powers function...

Act according to the whims of chance.

For example, create 6 different plans. Then roll a die and execute the associated plan. Since each outcome is equally likely, he'll see six different futures, all valid, and have to prepare for 6 different strategies.

Dedicated parties with a love of scheming may substitute the dice for a deck of playing cards.
>>
>>51696098

Based on how his powers work? You have three options:

The first is to simply out-play him. You can beat him, you just can't surprise him. You just have to maneuver him into a situation where he has no winning moves left, so seeing the future doesn't help him anymore.

The second option is to find someone else who can see the future as well, creating a feedback loop of second-guessing that renders both powers functionally useless.

The final, and most fun, option is to simple come up with a plan that is so fucking stupid/unlikely that he never would have considered it a possible future worth concerning himself over. Its not that he didn't see this outcome, it was just such a low chance of actually happening that he didn't pay it any attention.
>>
>>51698528
Given how my players usually act, I'm guessing they'll end up with a mix of 1 and 3.

Also planning on having the party able to ally themselves with a person with a similar (though weaker) version of future sight, but the person in question will be such an absolute dick they might well kill him before that.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.